• Breaking News

    Saturday, August 14, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - August 14, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - August 14, 2021


    Simple Questions - August 14, 2021

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I won Newegg Shuffle and MSI 3080 is $1780 plus a keyboard…

    Posted: 13 Aug 2021 05:37 PM PDT

    Someone tell me what the point of this shit is? I'm kinda pissed I thought it would be cheaper than eBay lol.

    submitted by /u/argusromblei
    [link] [comments]

    Cpu running very hot and at max clock speed (AMD ryzen 7 5800x)

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 09:30 AM PDT

    Hello i builded a pc yesterday and i got everything working but i have one problem my cpu amd ryzen 7 5800x runs very hot idle its about 50°c and when i tried to play minecraft it goes to 80°c and its also all the time running at max clock speed my specs are Motherboard: msi b550 gaming plus Graphics card: Asus rog strix rtx 3070 ti Cpu: AMD ryzen 7 5800x Case: NZXT h510 elite Cpu cooler: cooler master hyper 212 rgb black edition Ram: corsair vengeance rgb pro 2x8gb 3200mhz Psu: Corsair something

    Ask me for more details

    submitted by /u/Future_Kale6553
    [link] [comments]

    Mid tier GPU comparison

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 09:20 AM PDT

    Which is the better GPU, Rx 5500 or gtx1650?

    submitted by /u/WillSmithsDumboEars
    [link] [comments]

    Having trouble with my ram

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 07:23 AM PDT

    So I recently built my pc, but my ram isn't running at its stock speed even when i have an xmp profile on. It's supposed to run at 3200 but when i turn on xmp it only runs at 2400. Every time i try looking for an answer online i just see people saying to turn on xmp but i've already tried that.

    submitted by /u/WaffleSenpai_
    [link] [comments]

    $500 budget for high school eSports club

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 10:23 AM PDT

    I am a teacher in a high school attempting to launch an eSports club. Last year, in COVID, students played mostly console games from home. In an effort to get students gaming together in the same place, I have been given a tentative budget of $2500 to build PCs.

    I have student interest in League of Legends, Rocket League, and Overwatch. I am confident we will be able to find spare monitors, keyboards, mice, and Windows keys from our district IT department, so I'm looking at $500 per tower to support a team of 5.

    Given the current state of graphics cards, it seems like using onboard graphics might be the best bet, but I have no idea how to evaluate these in relation to minimum specs for games.

    I came across this list and am hopeful that it will be able to run all of these games: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JjwDHz

    Any changes, advice, or affirmations would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/CasioKing
    [link] [comments]

    RX 6600 XT or RTX 3060

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 11:49 AM PDT

    Been wanting a new GPU for a while now. Originally I was aiming for the RTX 3060, but there is either no stock or the card is £200 over the MSRP. I saw that the RX 6600 XT was released the other day and the prices are much cheaper than the RTX 3060. Is it worth waiting for the RTX 3060 to come back into stock and get it closer to MSRP or should I just go for the RX 6600 XT?

    Thanks for the help, I have ended up going for the RX 6600 XT

    submitted by /u/fraint
    [link] [comments]

    CPU 5600x or 3700X

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 01:38 PM PDT

    I'm building my first pc for streaming/gaming/ editing. I've secured a 3060 and know I can use it to handle my stream load and now im a bit puzzled on what the better option between the 2 cpus is as they are the same price. Im not a fps guy so frame rates won't affect me much but I know the 5600x is quite better for gaming but worse on the productivity side. I've also seen I would likely need to replace the stock cooler which wouldn't be necessary on the 3700x. All help is appreciated thanks for reading

    submitted by /u/syniss
    [link] [comments]

    My Setup is 90% done (Upgrades)

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 10:31 AM PDT

    http://imgur.com/gallery/lRbTyjU (Link to Setup)

    I'm happy with it, manly my PC. Built my first PC from the ground up last year, nothing crazy Initial Built: B450 Gaming Plus Max MSI Ryzen 5 3600 (stock cooler) 16Gb Ram 3000mhz 500Gb Kingston M.2 (ran out of space pretty quick coff Warzone coff GTX 1660 Super 550W Corsair PSU 2x front 120m RGB fans 1x rear 80mm fan (Yeaaah cause my 20€ case was my biggest regret)

    Upgrade: Same Mobo Same Processor, but now with and CollerMaster water-cooled AIO (PRETTY HAPPY WITH IT 🤷🏿‍♂️) 16Gb Still (maybe I'll get 2 more sticks just to complete the RGB😌😌) 500GB M.2 + 500GB Samsung 870 Evo (i feel like i already need more GB🥲🥲) NEW CASE CORSAIR 4000D (WOW TEMPERED GLASS ALWAYS FELT LIKE THIS🤤🤤awww quality materials feel different)

    And yeah that's it, I'm just so proud that I've built something like this, i always enjoyed messing up with PC parts and stuff but never had really money or chance to built something like this i was so proud of Version 1 but yeah now V.2 i just felt humble and appreciative of what we can achieve when we work for it. And building PCs is just so relaxing (even tho it can be a pain during the process) that i wish a followed this type of career. But yeah just wanted to share this cause I'm really proud of myself.

    Suggestion and critics are welcome

    PS: yeaah also my cable management looks slick for my standard's 😅 http://imgur.com/a/OoJq97t

    submitted by /u/Extermintar98
    [link] [comments]

    5 yr old build with i7 6700k, just got a 3070 ti via Newegg Shuffle - do i upgrade or build new?

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 11:17 AM PDT

    Specs of old PC are i7-6700k, g.skill 32 gb ddr4 3600 mhz ram, Asus Z170 Deluxe Mobo, EVGA GTX 1070 Gaming ACX 3.0 Black, 850 w EVGA Bronze PSU, 4 different drives (3 ssd, 1 hdd - i kept buying new drives lol). Corsair H100i v2 240 mm cooler. Case is Corsair Carbide 400R.

    My main issue is the new 3070 ti won't fit in my old case. I'm debating selling my entire old rig as is and using the money to fund a new build, or just getting a bigger case and moving my current setup over.

    What would you do?

    submitted by /u/gold4yamouth
    [link] [comments]

    Classic Lian Li Storage Server Updated

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 06:33 AM PDT

    My old motherboard failed after 8 years of 24/7 operation, so it was time to update the server using contemporary parts. I wanted to keep the case and the custom cabling, but finding parts right now is difficult. I wanted to get an AMD Epyc this time, but this was the best that I could do.

    • Intel® Xeon® Bronze 3206R 1.90 GHz 8 Core Processor
    • Noctua NH-U12S DX-3647 Cooler
    • Supermicro X11SPi-TF Motherboard
    • Kingston 96GB DDR4 2666MHz ECC Registered DIMM
    • Intel® 10GbE Network Adapter X710-DA2
    • LSI® SAS 9207-8i Host Bus Adapters
    • Samsung 256GB M.2 NVMe™ SSD 980 PRO
    • 5-bay Icy Dock FlexCage
    • Lian Li PC-V2100 Full Tower Server Case

    https://imgur.com/a/Kw04xt0

    submitted by /u/mart2960
    [link] [comments]

    Which Ryzen CPU to use in my current situation?

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 10:57 AM PDT

    Hello guys, i was using a R7 2700x with a Gigabyte AB350M-GAMING 3 and recently my MOBO died and i had to buy a new one. I bought a MSI MAG B550 Mortar Wi-Fi from Aliexpress, i thought this chipset would work with my CPU, but then i saw it doesn't support the Ryzen 2000 series (officially).

    I have a GTX 1660 Super, and my question is either i buy a Ryzen 5 3600, Ryzen 5 5600x (kinda pretty expensive on my country) or try to run the new MOBO with the Ryzen 7 even without official support (there's some reddits saying that worked it).

    Useful posts:

    https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/ispcyv/ryzen_7_2700x_on_b550/g5b5uyp/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/hq03xg/can_i_run_a_ryzen_5_2600x_on_a_msi_mag_b550/g3fgfme?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

    submitted by /u/PcK-
    [link] [comments]

    First PC Build, Running Into Problems: Windows Updates Not Installing Properly, Bluetooth Flickering and Acting Like Removable Device, Unable to get GPU Drivers to work, Monitor Not Detected- Shows up as Generic Non-PnP

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 03:38 AM PDT

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JQmhbh

    God what a long title, I hope this isn't too much. I've been having a lot of issues with the last steps of building my PC. I'll try to provide photos as much as I can. First off, it took me a while to get to this stage. I've spent the last week trying to get the PC to even boot at all. Now, I finally have Windows 10 installed, and access to the internet. I was told my first step should be to get Windows up to date and then install other drivers. Right off the bat, Windows is having trouble installing the last few things: https://imgur.com/nWHm69r (It says to restart, but when I restart, the update stops around 7-8% and then reverts back because of an error)

    Another issue I am having is related to the Bluetooth. My mobo is supposed to come with Bluetooth capabilities, which is great. I don't have a CD player to use for the driver installer that came with my mobo, so I used a USB and downloaded the drivers directly from the ASRock website for my mobo: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550M-ITXac/ One of these drivers was the Intel Bluetooth Driver. After downloading this and other drivers, I noticed that the Bluetooth was still not working after a restart, and that instead my computer was reading that there was a Removable Device for the Bluetooth: https://imgur.com/a/e5uxg3D (This flickers, so the USB icon on the Task Bar will disappear and reappear constantly) Also, I am confronted with this error when I try to check for problems: https://imgur.com/a/Ls0Yky8 (Check Bluetooth radio status) Something I noticed with this is that if I disable the device through Device Manager, that it will stop disappearing and reappearing, but restarting the computer will cause it to start up again. I've also tried uninstalling the Bluetooth altogether but it keeps coming back.

    More problems, I can't seem to find my GPU's drivers anywhere online that work with my computer. From Asus's website: https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/hd77702gd5/HelpDesk_Download/ I navigate to Drivers & Tools and look at descriptions for the different options. There is one download that says "ASUS VGA Card UEFI VBIOS update tool" but that it only works for Asus mobos, and Windows Vista, 7, 8. So it doesn't work for me since I'm running on Windows 10. Then I thought, does this Graphics Card not work with Windows 10? I did some searching and found this website: https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/amd-radeon-hd-7000-series/amd-radeon-hd-7770-ghz-edition Tried downloading the 64-bit edition only to be greeted with a very nice black screen and constant loop of repair attempts. I created a Windows Repair Tool with a USB to fix the problem, but then was back to square one. Also after the repair the Bluetooth was still acting up. I've tried installing the AMD Adrenalin thing twice and both times resulted in a crash that needed to be repaired.

    Lastly, I've had issues with my Monitor not being detected. It shows up in the Device Manager as Generic non-PnP. I've looked online for drivers for the monitor, but I think monitor drivers are a little funky compared to what I'm used to. I'm not sure if this is something that will automatically detect or if I need to do something to fix this. Also, this monitor has built-in speakers that although I assume are trash will probably be my only speakers for a while until I have the means to upgrade. I can't hear anything and audio drivers are not working either.

    Here is another picture of the Device Manager right after I used the Windows Repair and got the computer to boot properly: https://imgur.com/a/poUxznS

    Needless to say, I'm confused. Every problem has left me feeling like I'm staring at a wall. It's been hours and hours of tinkering, googling--trying anything really, but at this point nothing is working. I'm stuck and would greatly appreciate any input you guys might have. Again, this is my first build and honestly one of my first experiences working with computers aside from simple file navigation. If you need any more information from me I can try my best to provide. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/rainyfurz
    [link] [comments]

    Windows 10 product key

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 11:18 AM PDT

    So I just built a pc but I need a windows 10 product key, I have an old computer with a windows 10 pro license key but it no longer works. Is there any way to recover the key and use it on my new computer?

    submitted by /u/Lansit0_0
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with weird UEFI behavior

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 11:39 AM PDT

    I'm building a NAS with some used parts. i5-4670, MSI Z87I-AC motherboard

    I'm running into a weird issue with the system where it boots into UEFI even though a bootable device is connected and boot order is properly configured. Even choosing the right boot device in 'boot menu' option just sends me to UEFI

    I can boot into the correct devices using boot override prompt in the UEFI 'save and exit' tab without any issues

    I've tried setting up UEFI boot and legacy boot options for various OS including Windows 10. I've tried couple different versions of the available BIOS (1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.9)

    EDIT: See behavior here https://giphy.com/gifs/KuLpDlvXKSIcs9GkCx

    submitted by /u/w1ck3dme
    [link] [comments]

    Will an rtx 3060 and ryzen 7 3700x work with 550w ?

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 10:21 AM PDT

    Corsair Commander Pro Replacement

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 01:02 PM PDT

    Hello,

    So I was wondering if there's any similar product to a Corsair Commander Pro to replace mine with and with enough ports for my needs. It's already the second one that fails on me for the same reasons.
    First was right after buying it, one of the fan controller headers failed and stopped working for no apparent reason. Now, the second one after a couple months using it, fails on me again with the same problem; one of the fan headers unable to work again. Not only that but hours after that, the entire Commander Pro just "poofed" and stopped to work entirely and I can't use my computer.

    I'm using the 6 fan headers with one of them dedicated to a water cooling pump. I also use the 2 USB headers for RGB. Also 1 temp header but that's completely optional because I don't use it for any curves on iCue (it's for the liquid temp).

    submitted by /u/xCrowder
    [link] [comments]

    Used PSU or new modular PSU?

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 11:19 AM PDT

    I have Corsair 750w PSU that my dad had been using for the past 10 or so years that he would be willing to give to me.

    However I was originally gonna get a new modular PSU for a pc I'm currently building.

    Now I'm wondering which one I should use.

    The one has a bunch a cables I wouldn't even use if I did decide to use it

    submitted by /u/VampyLizard
    [link] [comments]

    Recently been having some PC issues so I decided to do a windows reset. Now I have a message which says "fixing (D:) stage 1: 0% (1125 of 333568); total: 0%, ETA: 999:00;00" should i be concerned?

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 12:34 PM PDT

    USB 2.1 on a USB 2.0 header

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 02:17 PM PDT

    The NZXT rgb and fan controller says to plug in a USB 2.1 into a USB 2.1 header on the mobo but im looking at the mobo manual and it says nothing about a 2.1 header. All i see on here are 3.2 headers and 2.0 headers. Im wondering if its possible to plug in a USB 2.1 into a 2.0 header without causing any damage to the header or mobo. Mobo: ASUS PRIME X570-P

    submitted by /u/Kelpo-Cereal
    [link] [comments]

    11700k vs 5700g

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 10:30 AM PDT

    Now, under normal circumstances this would not be an issue at all, in fact the 11700k is much faster than the 5700G under pretty much any workload, other than the iGPU and here lies the problem.

    I wanna build a PC primerally for After Effects, Lightroom and Premiere, which will eventually get e GPU but just not during those prices we have at the moment. Those 2 CPUs are pretty much the same price as of now where I live so that is the idea.

    Now, afaik all those programms benefit of a GPU in some way but not massively. So in theory a 11700K should be faster. Especially if I want to game on that PC in the future, once a GPU will become affordable again, the 11700K should be better right?

    I'm just not sure how much of an impact the very bad Intel iGPU would be in those applications.

    submitted by /u/RedXon
    [link] [comments]

    Could a Asus PRIME H310 MK R2-0 support a i5 10400f or a i5 9400f

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 06:01 AM PDT

    Can I do anything with an Optiplex ?

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 10:20 AM PDT

    Hello good people !

    I'm new to pc building and I don't really know anything about it. I want to move to PC for gaming (to play games such as Baldur's Gate, maybe some Fps titles (doubt I can achieve anything with a mouse & kb tho) and indie games. I wanted to build a pc from the ground up but I retrieve an Optiplex 7020 from work, so I was wondering if I can do something with it, and if so what ?

    I got some feedback about potential issues the prebuild can have when putting a GPU in it (no recognition or what not)

    But I was mainly wondering if its worth getting a GPU with the state the market is in (I live in France if that matters) and what GPU should I go for (both compatibility-wise and to achieve which settings) For the actuals specs : i7-4790 3,6GHz, 8 go RAM, Mobo is Dell 0F5C5X I believe.

    So can I do anythin with it ? Would it be worth it ? Getting a GPU for a future build, putting it in this bad boy and hoping for the best until I build a whole PC with this GPU I'd have purchase was proposed to me but I don't know if it's the right call. What about the PSU ? Compatibility ? Etc. The GPU seems old to me too.

    Thanks for the help anyway I'm learning a lot on this sub ! (And sorry for the english)

    submitted by /u/Tioy0
    [link] [comments]

    TMPIN 4 Higher temp than others in HWMonitor

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 02:03 PM PDT

    In HWMonitor, it says TMPIN4 is running at nearly 100 degrees C. What exactly is TMPIN4 and is this something to be worried about? If so, what can I do to troubleshoot?

    https://imgur.com/a/mCf129b

    submitted by /u/matiqued
    [link] [comments]

    Motherboard upgrade

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 01:58 PM PDT

    Looking to upgrade my motherboard from my Asrock Z370 K6 to something similar to Gigabyte Z390 Designare.

    Anyone have any recommendations for Asus / Asrock boards they have Z370/90 That have built in thunderbolt, 8 sata, 2/3 M.2 without sharing / disabling Sata when using and ATX form factor.

    submitted by /u/AMSG1985
    [link] [comments]

    I bought an MSI RTX 3060 for $530 usd. Worth it?

    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 01:57 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment