• Breaking News

    Tuesday, December 3, 2019

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - December 03, 2019

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - December 03, 2019


    Simple Questions - December 03, 2019

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 04:09 AM PST

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Need ideas for building a "Karen" PC. I know it sounds like a meme but I'm serious.

    Posted: 02 Dec 2019 07:50 PM PST

    So here's the deal, my older sister surprisingly asked for a custom pc for christmas knowing I have several parts lying around. Her main use for this thing is going to be practicing excel for her job and running facebook parties for her MLM schemes. I have a good idea what I'm going to put in it (fx 6300, gtx 660, 16 gb ram, 240gb ssd) but I want YOUR help with the aesthetics. I want to have fun with this. Her interests are cats(she has like 7) , jesus, and your standard live laugh love pintrest bullshit.

    Edit:The parts I mentioned I already have lying around, I need ideas for goofy aesthetics.

    Edit2: Yes guys, i know 16gb is overkill. Lol I have plenty of ddr3 so i figured why not.

    Also yes ill upload it to pc partpicker and post an update when im done :)

    submitted by /u/Dukedyduke
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrading from FX6300 to R7 2700

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 06:26 AM PST

    6 years ago my 13 years old built my first PC Build, an FX-6300 Black Edition, R9 280 and 8gb ddr3 1866mhz HyperX Fury, wasn't a Beast but was all right, running most of my games at 60 fps without any worries.

    I upgraded the GPU to a RX 570 in this year because I fried the R9 280 playing Black Desert, and last week finally moved to B450M Asrock Steel Legend, R7 2700 and 3000mhz CL15 Corsair Vengeance, and...

    Holy Fuck.

    It's crazy how smooth everything feels now, I'm playing Borderlands 3 with high settings at 90 fps, If I tried to open with the FX he will problably get out the case and punch me in the face.

    Now I kinda want to upgrade my GPU to see how far I can push with this setup.

    Heres a pic of my first boot, after some troubles managing the cables.

    Current specs:

    R7 2700
    RX 570 4GB PowerColor Red Dragon
    2x8gb Vengeance LPX White 3000mhz CL15
    Asrock B450M Steel Legend
    SUPER FLOWER 600W
    SSD Kingstom A400
    HDD Barracuda 1TB

    submitted by /u/Gustsouto
    [link] [comments]

    Haven't owned a PC since 256mb video cards were the best. Overload me with information please.

    Posted: 02 Dec 2019 09:53 PM PST

    Went sober and quit smoking after 12 years and saved all my money and now its time to spoil myself. I want to run red dead redemption 2 at max graphics. Thats my end game. I really don't know anything about computers anymore. The extreme basics, that is about it. If anyone feels like coming up with a parts list for me and a short description why each part, that would be so helpful. The main thing i'm very confused about is motherboards. How can you tell a certain motherboard works or doesn't with all the other parts you've got. I prefer intel but if i can explain why AMD is better i would love the information. Lastly, prefer GeForce but same goes for this, i would love information about radeon.

    I've got 5 grand in my pocket by the end of February and I want to drop most maybe all of it on a very nice PC. Also, I'm afraid that if i buy a RTX 2080 (if thats the best) that something better will be released a few months later. What are the odds of that happening and how can i find out ahead of time if i should wait. Same goes for my CPU. Thanks for your time and feel free to bombard me with link and other information.

    submitted by /u/Wubbysandwubbysonly
    [link] [comments]

    Help with a video card

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 07:18 AM PST

    So basically, I'm putting together my christmas list, and one of the things I think I need to upgrade my pc so it actually runs fast is a video card. I'm also thinking I should have it be VR ready, because I'm hoping in the future I can have vr. It's been a while since I built my pc, so I was wondering what video cards are good, and have a <$450 price. If theres one thats even lower but still good quality (and will last pretty long) that'd be even better. Here's my current list of my parts:

    https://pcpartpicker.com/user/TheCometKid/saved/#view=96MJVn

    submitted by /u/TheCometKid
    [link] [comments]

    Good Case for Airflow that is NOT Meshify C

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 07:01 AM PST

    Hey all, I wanted to get recommendations for cases that aren't the Meshify C that are good for airflow. I have no problems with the case, but I wanted to take a look at other options and that one seems to come up repeatedly. Bonus points if the case is easy to build in and is on the cheaper side.

    submitted by /u/WoahSaysKeanu
    [link] [comments]

    Is building and selling PC's a sustainable side hustle?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 06:49 AM PST

    So I'm not sure if this is the correct subreddit or not, but it seemed like a good place to start. Little backstory: I work full time and have a very stable job, and am not in any need for immediate extra cash. My hobby has always been gaming and building rigs for myself, family, and friends. I've built around 18 PC's in past 7 or so years (which I know is nothing compared to most enthusiasts). I've been toying with the idea of potentially making a very small profit from this hobby and was looking for some advice.

    My initial idea was to build custom rigs for people who ordered the parts themselves or paid me in advance...after some research and thought, it became apparent- that was an awful idea. Now, I'm on my second idea which would be to scour the internet and microcenters (I have two within 10 miles of me!) for deals/cheap parts/refurbs ect...build a rig at my leisure and then sell it on Facebook market place, Craigslist, or whatever social app people want to use to buy and trade goods. I would only deal locally, will refuse to send anything via Universal Parcel Smashers and won't start my next build until the first one sells. Additionally I would offer 30 day guarantee on any hardware issues. That part I'm unsure of the legality- if I'm selling on Facebook or Cragislist and they accept it and for some unknown reason the CPU fails 3 months later, am I responsible? I would also make very clear that I am NOT tech support, and that if there's a problem they cannot solve then they need to take it to a PC repair store just like they would if they had built the device themselves.

    Is this a realistic endeavor? I'm honestly not trying to make much off of this, if I could make $100-$150 a rig I would be ecstatic, even if I could make $20-$40 a rig I would be pretty content. I also have no goals set towards volume, if I only sell 1 rig every two months then so be it, I like my free time and don't want to be tied down if I want to take a vacation or not build that weekend.

    As far as what I would be building, am I correct in guessing that a low-midrange "gaming" PC's would yield the best results in terms of dollars spent? and does anyone have a general strategy involved here? from a top level perspective My guess would be to take a look at the cost of prebuilts from the surrounding area and figure out the cost of piecing together a similarly spec'ed unit at a reduced or similar price, is this the right line of thinking? The other thing I could "advertise" would be overclocking of the CPU and GPU, is this advisable? In all of my builds I've never really tried to compare the rig I was building to an off the shelf model; I've always just built what I wanted or tried to get the best parts from manufacturers I trusted and never compared what I built to something off the shelf. Sorry for the rambling again any advice or idea would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Mr_Tugboat
    [link] [comments]

    Just moved to UK. Looking for PC parts stores near Milton Keynes

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 11:00 AM PST

    As title suggests. Curry's doesn't do individual parts. Not looking to order online. Just want a walk about to oogle the PC bits.

    submitted by /u/groovytiger
    [link] [comments]

    I keep getting electrocuted and my peripherals turn off when i touch metal parts of them.

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 06:29 AM PST

    Like the title, constantly after taking a break or not touching my peripherals for around 1minute i come back and when i touch them they give me small electric charge and turn off for 1-2 seconds. I have no clue what causes this. I need help pretty much asap, my leds on my keyboard already broke on the most right 4 rows.

    submitted by /u/MiniRealEstate
    [link] [comments]

    Crossroads

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 12:23 PM PST

    Ok so I'm at a wonderful crossroads when it comes to which processor I should get for my first build:

    In terms of a Ryzen 7 3700x or Ryzen 7 2700x if I'm gonna do heavy gaming, prob some video editing, most likely a lot of streaming of said games, and a ton of coding (since I'm a CS major in school) which is more bang for the buck and allows for long term use? Bc the difference is only abt $80 but that's $80 that I can put toward something else if need be

    Not to mention then I'd need to decide with mobo to get which confuses me because I'm not sure if I were to get a 3700x if I should just stick with the B450 Aorus Pro WiFi I was originally gonna get and do a BIOS update or shell out the extra cash to get an X570 mobo

    Btw I'm pairing it with an MSI 1660 TI Gaming X and T-Force Delta 3200 ram, with a 256gb Sabrent Rocket M.2 NVMe SSD and 2tb Seagate Barracuda HDD

    submitted by /u/kidflashxve
    [link] [comments]

    Which way should pc fans be facing?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 11:19 AM PST

    Does the logo side blow air out or take it in.

    submitted by /u/Mysterion320
    [link] [comments]

    Need Help, would appreciate it

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 12:17 PM PST

    So I'm getting this build for Christmas. This is my first time building a pc but I have spent hours and hours watching videos so I think I should be relatively fine. But I just wanted to make sure their wasn't any problems with compatibility or size. My Build

    submitted by /u/NIoxXDanilo
    [link] [comments]

    How easily can a ryzen 5 3600 processor and a 1660 ti graphics card handle 1440p 100fps gaming on an ultrawide monitor? Will i have a problem or is that easily attainable?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 09:58 AM PST

    Should i get the B450 TOMAHAWK MAX or the MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI (or other) for Ryzen 7 3700x

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 12:08 PM PST

    Hi i had a really good conversation with a guy about which motherboard i should go for ad it seems to be between the B450 TOMAHAWK MAX or one of the X570's. Apparently they're quite similar but the X570's are good for overclocking but i'm not sure if i want to overclock. but at this point idk anymore. Thanks and here's what I've got as of now. (open to suggestions on other things too) .https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/vscxHB

    submitted by /u/gengimain64
    [link] [comments]

    First PC Build

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 12:01 PM PST

    Building my first PC, looking for advice / recommendations

    I play World of Warcraft and will also be playing CoD / Apex and Overwatch

    Im not looking for the best, but playing on high graphics and 1440p /144hz would be nice (not sure if possible just what I have been reading on Reddit!

    Here's what I've got so far:

    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/RZgBL2

    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB GAMING OC Video Card Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/Jlovell90
    [link] [comments]

    Same price, what would you choose? R7 3700x or i7-9700k

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 11:46 AM PST

    Basically the title. Looking to build a new computer and trying to decide between an AMD or Intel build. Both those cpus are $300 right. At the same price point which would be the better one to go with?

    submitted by /u/fishy_sticks
    [link] [comments]

    How to connect a wireless mouse to a pc without a bluetooth motherboard?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 11:09 AM PST

    I just bought a tomahawk max, and I'm not sure how to connect my gpro wireless to my pc if my motherboard doesn't have Bluetooth. Ideas?

    submitted by /u/andrewwro
    [link] [comments]

    My first PC specs

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 12:21 PM PST

    I am building my first PC, and this is the list I came up with. Please tell me if you see any issues.

    (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KKygBZ)

    submitted by /u/Bojanagles
    [link] [comments]

    took my cpu out of the mobo, put it back in and now nothing will display?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 02:28 PM PST

    was trying to help my friend build a pc over discord and we have the same parts so i thought i could take mine out and renew the thermal paste aswell. well now all my fans spin up but nothing will display on any monitors?? tried new psu, tried different slot for gpu. ive replaced the thermal paste in the same way before so im just lost

    submitted by /u/xXVenomHD
    [link] [comments]

    How accurate are online PSU calculators?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 02:27 PM PST

    I'm running my PC on a Corsair 600w bronze, and would like to keep it that way. Online calculators say that it's possible: https://outervision.com/b/vPHAss

    Anyone have any experience with this?

    submitted by /u/Pehbak
    [link] [comments]

    I recently built my PC. It has a Ryzen 5 3600, RX 5700, and 16gb DDR4 3200 ram. I will be mainly playing fortnite at all competitive settings. Should I get a 240hz monitor or a 144hz? It gets around 200 fps average. Thanks in advance

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 02:02 PM PST

    Graphics card issues.

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 11:49 AM PST

    I have a EVGA GTX 780Ti with a Asus X99a Motherboard and intel i7 5820K.

    I had already spent some time on the pc and played a game of league of legends and it worked perfectly, when i decided to play a second game and was about to get in the game ( when the client closes and the game opens) the pc froze and blue-screened. After the pc restarted itself the screen turned black with a few red dots then it tried to reboot but it rebooted with multiple red dots along the screen.(Shown in the picture below) After a couple of tires of the pc rebooting it came to the recovery system.

    https://imgur.com/a/4056ep4

    The first thing I did to fix the issue was the check that the graphics card and it's power cables are connected properly. I also gave the gpu a quick clean when I removed it. After plugging everything back in the issue still arose. I attempted to connect the graphics card to another PCIe slot and the windows login screen came up but after a few seconds the same issue arose again. Afterwards I got an old graphics card which doesn't have any power cables and connected it to the original PCIe slot which is working well now. I am going to attempt to change the power cables and see what happens after that if it doesn't work I will try to use DDU to uninstall all the NVidia drivers and reinstall them maybe it's a driver issue. However I doubt it is as I didn't update the drivers recently. I don't know what else to try

    submitted by /u/Fajsu
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen 5 3600 with Noctua Cooler or Ryzen 7 3700X with stock prism cooler?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 02:05 AM PST

    Hello everyone. Building my first pc and due to deals I found online I can get these two CPU options for roughly the same price. Basically the question boils down to two parts. 1: Does a Ryzen 7 3700X need a better cooler than the wraith prism cooler it comes with? 2: Is the 3700X that much better than a 3600 to justify this upgrade? Thanks for your help!

    submitted by /u/Omega_Constellation
    [link] [comments]

    Questions about upgrading from FX-8350 to Ryzen 7 3700x paired with a GTX 1070 and 1440p 144hz monitor

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 01:58 PM PST

    Hey everyone,

    I have been going back and forth between sticking with my current rig or upgrading. I currently have a FX-8350, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, 16 gb ram, 1440p 144Hz G-sync build that is suffering to get 60 fps in games like Witcher 3, RDR2, DOOM, ect with med/high setting. I have some questions if an upgrade to a Ryzen 7 3700x, new MB and ram would increase my performance in such games as stated above. I plan on sticking with my GTX 1070 for a bit longer. (kind of upgraded backwards throughout the years...)

    1. I've read that at higher resolutions, 1440p, the CPU becomes less important than the GPU. While my current CPU is pretty dated, would upgrading to a better CPU increase gaming performance? Specifically still paired with my GTX 1070? I assume my GPU would become the bottleneck and know I wouldn't reach 80+hz without a GPU upgrade.
    2. If the above question is yes, I'm debating between the ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS and Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE motherboards. Anyone prefer one or the other? I do not plan on overclocking and lean towards the ASUS simply due to the debugging LEDS and reports of GIGABYTE board gamble.
    3. I read that the Ryzen cpus perform best with better ram. I have seen people suggest b-die ram (better performance?) Can anyone suggest best ram/speeds/timings to pair with this CPU and board?

    Thank you all for the help! Trying to avoid upgrading if the performance increase would be minimal due to being paired with a GTX 1070 on a 1440p monitor.

    submitted by /u/Shiznat_11
    [link] [comments]

    Graphic Card artifacting

    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 11:43 AM PST

    Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC windforce

    Not sure if this is the appropriate place for maintenance help, if not, sorry.

    I built a pc a year ago, a few days ago after launching Vermintide 2 my pc froze, and on restarts my display was filled with 100s of small green dots (even on the Aorus logo when loading windows) whic continue permanently after loading on windows which seem to shift and flicker as I use the PC.

    The graphic driver will not intall, it will not mark an error but will stay marked as not intalled on restart.

    I tried changing hdmi cables, changing monitor, DDU, resetted my PC, changing the PCIE port and graphic card power cable but still it artifacts.

    I am pretty convinced its a graphic card fault and I will try to send it back since I have only had it a year (bought it from Computer Universe) but would like to confirm I cannot try anthing else on my end.

    I will try to borrow a friend's unused GPU soon to try booting with another GPU.

    Also probably irrelevant but pc works fine without the GPU installed

    So does anyone have any suggestions on stuff I can try, I do not want to spend postage just to have them say it is working fine.

    submitted by /u/mikemagi
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment