• Breaking News

    Friday, September 4, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - September 04, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - September 04, 2020


    Simple Questions - September 04, 2020

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 05:11 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    M.2 ≠ NVMe speed

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 07:26 AM PDT

    Ditch that cheapest Western Digital Blue M.2 500Gb slapped on your PCpartpicker list, it's just a fancy SSD, and filter search by NVMe instead.

    In the realm of storage there are 3 main options today: slow HDD, fast SSD, and very fast NVMe.

    To get the speed of an NVMe your data is passed directly through the motherboard by inserting into an M.2 slot, but this speed also requires the NVMe drive to pass that data along the PCIe lanes. Some M.2 sized storage do not have this driver and are just SSDs that fit in the M.2 slot rather than the standard 2.5" case. You are not paying for speed, you are paying extra for small size. If you want the extra "M.2 speed" you actually want to search by NVMe.

    Replace this: Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive - No NVMe - $60
    With this: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive - YES NVMe - $60

    Edit: I appreciate all the information added to this discussion, it is now much more in-depth than just M.2 ≠ NVMe, so here are some other useful points added in the comments:

    M.2 is a form factor (slot on the motherboard) like 2.5" is a form factor. NVMe is a drive, like AHCI is drive ("SATA SSD" is commonly used to refer to ACHI driven storage because they connect to SATA ports) Both NVMe and SATA (AHCI) are solid state drive (SSD) for how they encode and store files, different from the HDD dinosaurs. Not all M.2 are NVMe, but most NVMe are M.2. Thank u/L00S33R top comment for this explanation, and teaching me about U.2 drives.

    DRAM also influences storage quality/speeds and can be present or not independent of NVMe drive. DRAM > no DRAM, although I am not sure how this benefit interacts with NVMe or SATA SSD differently. Some of you brought up more factors that go into storage that I know nothing about… It can all get confusing, just try to make a semi-informed choice

    The speeds that can be reached with NVMe are not very beneficial for gaming outside of small load time improvements compared to SATA SSD, but may be in the future if developers leverage the speed (which seems more likely with NVIDIA RTX IO in the 3000 series directly decompressing SSD to the GPU)

    submitted by /u/ScientificBananaPeel
    [link] [comments]

    Shoutout to everyone who got downvoted for saying to wait for next gen GPU's

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 10:19 PM PDT

    Seriously! I was considering getting a 2080 super when I saw a -9 downvoted comment saying to wait for next gen gpus, I decided to wait and now you are superman for me. Also my condolences for any new 2080ti owners, maybe you can still convince a tech illiterate boomer to buy it for $1000?

    submitted by /u/Sabawoonoz25
    [link] [comments]

    I built my first PC

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 12:57 PM PDT

    It is not turning on. The battery does turn on. The motherboard is supposed to have lights turn on when the motherboard has power

    submitted by /u/futurearmysolider
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen 5 3600 x 3080 RTX

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 08:39 AM PDT

    Pondering the upgrade to the anticipated 3080 from my current 5700xt. With my R5.3600 processor I'm curious as to if this will cause immense bottleneck or if this combo will be good to go. Currently running base clock 3.6 but willing to OC to 4.0 if necessary to improve performance. With current cooler overclock shouldn't be an issue. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Bakedbeaned
    [link] [comments]

    Going broke for a pc?

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 11:59 AM PDT

    CORRECTION I'm not actually planning on going COMPLETELY broke - I'm not that stupid ;))

    I'm looking to purchase a 3080 ASAP, and have already started to upgrade my rig. I went from a 2060 super, with a 600w psu to (hopefully) a 3080 and have already ordered a rm750x from Corsair. I'm currently playing my games on a newly bought 1440p 165hz monitor (witch is my I wanted more power).

    My rig as it stands now. I'm running a Ryzen 3600 in a Asus strix B450-F with 16 gigs of 3200mhz ram. I know, that the cpu and motherboard is going to bottleneck the powerful GPU, but these upgrades (with the price of 3080 and psu) over 1000 dollars.

    My question is, if I should go completely broke for a new CPU and a new more powerful mobo, or if I should be thinking otherwise. I'm pretty locked on the 3080, because I'm tired of not having the best, and not being able to run everything on ultra (I bet you guys know the feeling).

    Please share your thoughts on my situation. Should I spend the rest on a new mobo and cpu (making it a completely rebuild) or should a choose a third option?

    I hope you want to share your thoughts

    Best regards

    submitted by /u/AntonFritz
    [link] [comments]

    Best Meshify C fan setup! You can fit 2 x 140mm + 1 x 120mm in the front!

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 03:10 AM PDT

    Proof: https://i.redd.it/miwj957bp3l51.jpg

    I saw many questions about the front intakes of the Meshify C with 2x140mm vs 3x120mm while searching for an answer if 2x140mm + 1x120mm is possible. Noone could help me so I figured I should just buy some fans and try it myself as I expected people used standard square design fans and hence couldn't use the cutouts in the front to make this setup work. If you buy 2 x 140mm fans in a round design (120mm holes) you can put a standard 120mm fan in the middle and still connect all 3 fans with all 4 screws!

    I picked 140mm fans which spin in the other direction of the 120mm fan to make the fans work together instead of against each other. (like some GPU manufacturers do with 3 fan designs). Works great and GPU and CPU temperatures went down a little compared to a 2 x 140mm or 3 x 120mm setup while the perceived loudness is somewhere inbetween those two options.

    I hope this post helps people like me who searched for the best front intake fan setup for the Meshify C. Only use 3x120mm if you already have the fans for it lying around. It's not worth it buying 140mm fans just for a slightly cooler/quieter system if you already have some spare 120mm fans in my opinion. If you have no spare fans lying around use 2x140mm for a quiet system with good cooling or 2x140mm + 1x120mm for a slightly louder but also slightly cooler setup. :)

    submitted by /u/Earthplayer
    [link] [comments]

    Is the 3300x decent for editing?

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 09:32 AM PDT

    I'm coming from a laptop with an Intel i3-8150u how much better is it?

    submitted by /u/bizzarehotshot
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to upgrade my pc from 1060 gb to 3070 also increasing my ram, if i currently run the following set up, does my computer compatible with the upgrade?

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 07:11 AM PDT

    What should i consider if i try to upgrade my gpu to 3070 from 1060 3gb beside a new psu with 750W ? Is my motherboard compatible?

    Also considering adding 2 x 16gb ram Corsair vengeance rgb pro ddr4 3200, currently i have 2x8gb

    I know that my motherboard can only support 2133mhz ram but i want to install a better ram in case i upgrade my motherboard later on the road. Will it run into issues if i add 3200mhz?

    Here is my current build:

    CPU : intel i7 7700 @ 3.6 GHz Ram: 16gb dual channel @ 1063 MHz Motherboard: Asustek B150m-A/M.2 (LGA1151) Gpu: 1060 3gb

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/547234988
    [link] [comments]

    PC not recognising SSD

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 01:41 PM PDT

    Hey buildapc!

    Just rebuilt my PC into a new case, and now it's not recognising my SSD. It's saying there's no bootable device in the BIOS menu, but then on another screen it's showing my SSD is connected.

    Here's some photos of the BIOS menu in case anyone can spot what I'm doing wrong.

    I've changed both SATA and power cables, as well as combed through Google, but I can't really find anything that fixes this. You're my last hope before I buy another SSD and start Windows from scratch!

    Thanks 🙏🏼

    submitted by /u/OkClass
    [link] [comments]

    Positive air pressure and dust

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 01:13 PM PDT

    Just got the TD500mesh case which comes with only 3 intake fans at the front. What would be the best fan setup to minimize dust buildup inside the case. Gamers Nexus has shown that there was no difference between having 3 intake fans and 2 as intake and one as exhaust regarding temps. So, would keeping the positive air pressure setup with passive exhaust minimize dust, or should I move one to be a rear exhaust fan. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/ua07ud22
    [link] [comments]

    3070/3080 and futureproofing question

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 11:22 AM PDT

    I realize that it's hard to predict the future with PC's and gaming, but being on 1080p must make every game easy to run on these newer cards and hence it will last a long time playing at 144hz at least, right?

    I do not plan to upgrade for a while after buying these so this is why I ask this question. How long do you guys think a 3070 can max out games on 1080p with RTX? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Revolutionary-Sun364
    [link] [comments]

    RTX 3070 + X370 + RYZEN 4000 ?

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 11:19 AM PDT

    This is my current Rig. I was planning on doing some upgrades once sometime soon.

    I was thinking of grabbing a ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 3070 (scroll all the way down) once it drops to replace my 5700XT. Im hoping that the fact that my board is PCIe3, wont affect performance all that much.

    As for my second idea, I was also thinking of upgrading my CPU to a RYZEN 4000 once they come out, but sadly everywhere I look it seems unclear whether the 4000 series will work on a X370. If it does, then great, If it doesnt then I was thinking of going for a 3700X instead, considering its price will likely drop after the 4000 releases, but Im not sure if the upgrade from a 1700X to a 3700X is really worth my buck.

    What are your thoughts on both of those ideas?

    submitted by /u/olgierd18
    [link] [comments]

    Guys I updated my bios from msi and my pc fans are at max speed and nothing shows up on my screen and it’s been going on for over 10 mins please help

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 09:59 AM PDT

    Will a Ryzen 3600 be enough for the RTX 3080 on 1440p?

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 12:45 PM PDT

    I'm thinking about buying the RTX 3080 and a 1440p 144Hz monitor. I currently have a Ryzen 3600. I know that benchmarks are not out yet, but do you think it will be enough, or should I wait for the Zen 3 CPUs.

    submitted by /u/VortexxG
    [link] [comments]

    Overkill

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 05:41 AM PDT

    Things I didn't need to do: put an NZXT Kraken x72 AIO on my 2080 super.

    Things I did anyway: put an NZXT Kraken x72 AIO on my 2080 super.

    Results: Delta-T of 19 degrees C (topped out at 44*c after 45 min of Kombustor) with Deepcool RF120's at 50%

    Install was a bear and to be perfectly clear, this was a "because I can" job, not a "trying to accomplish something" job, but I'm happy with the outcome.

    Specs: Ryzen 5 3600x w/bequiet! DarkRock 4 MSI X570 Gaming Plus 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaw V 3600mhz 16-18-18-39 EVGA RTX 2080 super (now AIO cooled) Crucial P1 1TB NVMe SSD (boot) Fractal Design Meshify C Corsair RM750x Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SATA SSD Silicon Power A55 1TB SATA SSD

    submitted by /u/Theo1172
    [link] [comments]

    3080 or 3090 Need help deciding.

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 11:06 AM PDT

    I planning to upgrade my rtx 2060 and trying to decide if I should get the 3080 or 3090. My monitor resolutions 3440x1440 and it's refresh rate(hz) is 100. My processor is AMD Ryzen 9 3900x and I have 16gb of ram. For the games I play are mostly sim-building/ town-building, and survival sandbox games like ark, grounded, Minecraft, Rimworld, oxygen not include and sims 4, but I also want to play cyberpunk and dying light 2 when it comes out. Games that I have download and wanting to play with my new graphic card is star wars fallen order, Red dead redemptions 2, and Assassin's creed odyssey. I'm leaning over for the 3090, but worried that it will be a waste of money because of the games I play not using 3090 to its full potential. Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this!

    submitted by /u/Mabe2515
    [link] [comments]

    Do you have to buy the same exact ram if you want to add?

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 12:38 PM PDT

    I currently have this:

    G.SKILL 32GB (2 x 16GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-28800 3600MHz Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C19D-32GVRB https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FSWN49R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_XDPuFbDN42RQA

    Do I have to buy another one if I want to upgrade to 64gb? Or can I get another pair of 3600mhz ram

    submitted by /u/Dirtynarkotics
    [link] [comments]

    Please help

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 10:57 AM PDT

    Hey reddit it's my first time building a pc and when I hit the power button it won't turn on. I don't know id it a shortage but I tried everything from bread boarding to jumpstarts, but no matter what it won't turn on. I'm getting power to the mother board but nothing else.

    submitted by /u/Moe3113
    [link] [comments]

    Case with MANY 5.25" bays

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 09:31 AM PDT

    Hey everyone! Rather than tear my hair out, I figured I pose a question to the hivemind. I am building a disc copying machine so i can digitize my literal HUNDREDS of blu rays, dvd's, cd's, etc, so I can put them on a plex server. I am repurposing an old gaming PC build. My plan is to use a ton of Blu ray and DVD drives, which I already have, and set them up to rip automatically using Automatic Ripping Machine. I bought a DVD Duplicator tower and was going to use long sata cables to connect them to the motherboard in a separate case.

    But, now I'm wondering if anyone makes a case that has many (6+) external 5.25" bays? Case size does not really matter, i run giant cube cases for my other stuff. just wanted to know what's out there.

    submitted by /u/Fun_Kay_Person
    [link] [comments]

    Small form factor gaming/productivity Windows PC for living room (no dedicated desk or monitors)

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 02:29 PM PDT

    Every few years I put together a new PC with the latest hardware and let it carry me for a while. I usually get 5-7 years of good life before it starts struggling to keep up.

    This last time I got lazy, and in 2012 I did a custom Sager/Clevo build laptop instead, because I didn't have the space for a true desktop setup. It's lasted me a good while, but it's a beast for my lap, and I'm overdue for a new build.

    This time, I'm wondering if it's possible to do a small form factor build that can sit with my other electronics (PS4, Switch, Blu-ray player, etc) and share my 75" living room TV. And then I'd just grab a bluetooth mouse/keyboard and sit down, relax in the living room, play games, do amateur 3D modeling, video editing, programming or Word/Excel stuff. None of my 3D modeling or video editing is pro level, by any means, so I have no plans to invest in a specialized build focusing on that.

    Is this something feasible, that could work as a high end gaming PC, but blend in with all my other black box electronics sitting next to my TV (i.e. no bright RGBs, just another inconspicuous black box)? I have a network printer and such already, so I don't see a reason off-hand why I would be limited by having a "deskless" build sitting on its own in the corner of my living room.

    Or am I going to be limited to a giant bright and noisy beast taking up a lot of space?

    submitted by /u/explodingtuna
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a minimum 25ft long HDMI cable or display port cable that can support 1440p @144hz

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 02:29 PM PDT

    As the title says, I'm not sure if it is even possible, my current setup supports 1080p at 144hz, the distance is because i have a VR setup in the same room as my PC, with my desk and monitors in another room entirely, was looking to upgrade considering the 3070 is soon going to be released and am currently working with a 2060 super

    submitted by /u/JustinaBustin
    [link] [comments]

    Buying a new cpu, need advice!

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 02:28 PM PDT

    So I'm thinking of getting a new cpu because I play games that require a powerful cpu. My current cpu is an intel core i5-7400. I'm not able to spend a lot of money on a new one so I'm wondering if it's worth it to replace it with an i5-9600k? Is it a big difference performance wise?

    submitted by /u/Shutyouruglymouth
    [link] [comments]

    Founder editions or third party card?

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 02:25 PM PDT

    As the title says. I want to but a rtx 3080 when it comes out but this is the 1st time I buy a GPU and I dont know if the founders edition of these cards are better or if it is the 3rd party ones.if it is the 3rd party cards then which one? Is is MSI asus, evga, or etc. Have there been experiences in the past with these in which people base what they will buy upon?

    submitted by /u/qaisersalah
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment