• Breaking News

    Friday, July 2, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - July 02, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - July 02, 2021


    Simple Questions - July 02, 2021

    Posted: 02 Jul 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Do you need an anti stactic wristband

    Posted: 02 Jul 2021 02:11 AM PDT

    When installing a ram stick do you need an anti-static wristbandnd

    submitted by /u/Dannboy1888
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen 5 3600x+1660 super= good?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2021 04:45 AM PDT

    is Ryzen 5 3600x with a 1660 super a good combo for 1080p 144hz gaming?

    Edit: The amount of responses is overwhelming, huge thanks for the help guys

    submitted by /u/Arpitr689
    [link] [comments]

    Are the rtx 3080 prices getting lower?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2021 07:21 AM PDT

    Is it just the rtx 3080s or all the GPUs

    submitted by /u/ConcentrateOwn3331
    [link] [comments]

    Advice needed! Worried new setup was a waste, low fps warzone

    Posted: 02 Jul 2021 06:32 PM PDT

    Problem: Recently upgraded gpu and cpu from 5600xt (PowerColor red dragon) to 6700 XT(AMD reference model) and 3600 to 5600x respectively. After a couple days of use, my 5600x runs at pretty high temps (~75-85 with stock cooler) on Warzone, but I've read that these temps are normal for my cpu. I've seen a good increase in performance in multiplayer, and on other games like battlefield I'm getting pretty good performance. But for Warzone I get an average of 80 FPS at 1080p resolution (graphics settings all low) which is about 30 fps off of even my old gpu/cpu combo. I've seen multiple videos of people getting much higher frame rates with my combo at even 1440p. My gpu util seems normal, and my cpu util stays around 70% in game (which I don't know if is normal).

    My Thoughts: I double checked my XMP profile (2x8 @ 3200), and now I'm wondering if my 550W PSU just isn't cutting it anymore, if my motherboard needs to be upgraded (pls no) or if something else is the problem. Any thoughts are appreciated.

    Another problem recently arose also where I get a beep code from my motherboard on startup indicating that there is a dram refresh error, but my ram is recognized by my computer. Could this be part of it?

    On a side note, I can't seem to get smart access memory to enable even though both the 6700 xt and 5600x are recognized by Radeon.

    full specs are as follows

    MOBO: asrock B450M steel legend

    Ram: 2x8gb Ballistix @ 3200

    Cpu: r5 5600x

    Cpu cooler: stock wraith cooler from 5600x

    Gpu: rx 6700 xt

    PSU: evga 550w

    submitted by /u/keptyano
    [link] [comments]

    Can I be scammed while meeting up with someone?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2021 10:15 AM PDT

    So I know the title sounds like a dumb question, but let me give you the details. I'm meeting up with someone to buy a 3060, he hasn't opened it at all so it still has store wrapping on it. He can't have swapped it out because it hasn't been opened and he can't ship me a different item because we're meeting up. I guess i'm just paranoid because he's selling it to me for msrp.

    submitted by /u/Casonty06
    [link] [comments]

    Mobo screws missing...

    Posted: 02 Jul 2021 04:51 PM PDT

    So I'm starting to build a new setup and my 4000D case has stand offs for the Mobo but neither the case or Mobo (Asus x570-plus) came with screws that I can see. Am I screwed? (sadly, no pun intended.)

    submitted by /u/Hotfuzz6316
    [link] [comments]

    Cannot get my new CPU to work, looking for some help!

    Posted: 02 Jul 2021 04:00 PM PDT

    So I am replacing my CPU and I've done everything I'm supposed to do but my pc will not boot with the new one. I've updated the BIOS, properly switched out the CPUs and I just can't figure it out. Is there something I'm missing? THANKS!

    submitted by /u/ScottClamBirdBoi
    [link] [comments]

    The worst part about building a pc is waiting for the parts to arrive.

    Posted: 02 Jul 2021 01:42 PM PDT

    It's my first time I'm nervous I won't have enough headers to connect my cases USB's to my mobo.

    submitted by /u/adrinochrome
    [link] [comments]

    Decent cheap case fans

    Posted: 02 Jul 2021 06:50 PM PDT

    Jesus h Christ case fans are so expensive. I want some decent fans that are good quality and relatively quiet, and preferably under 10 bucks a piece. The only ones I see for that price are up here fans, which I have no idea if they're decent or not.

    So the question is, is it possible to get quiet and good fans for that price, or do I just have to bite the bullet and accept the price for what it is.

    EDIT: I'm from Canada. Checked some us sites and wow they are so much cheaper there. It's not just lower price because of the USD-CAD difference; they are just less money overall. So Canada has expensive fans. I'd happily pay the us fan prices converted to cad, but those prices don't exist here...

    submitted by /u/dackpack1
    [link] [comments]

    are kingston a400s bad?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2021 06:32 PM PDT

    i just purchased a kingston a400 480gb ssd and im seeing a lot of people hating on them, i mean i really dont want to spend like $100+ cad on an ssd so i got that. its my first ssd and im scared that its just gonna be bad. but i also feel like its just a bunch of people that have more expensive ssds and arent on the budget that im on

    submitted by /u/TT_12c
    [link] [comments]

    PC is underperforming

    Posted: 02 Jul 2021 07:09 PM PDT

    I have an RTX 3080 paired with a Ryzen 7 5800x and I have had problems since I built my pc. I play 1440p and my fps is already always lower than what I see others brag about, but on top of that I have massive frame drops pretty often. My computer also tends to crash when I play demanding games such as Warzone. My CPU also gets to 80 - 90 c with 30 percent usage. If you can help me in any way that would be appreciated. If you would like any additional information let me know.

    submitted by /u/Salty_Victory_800
    [link] [comments]

    My RTX 3070's Fan Curve Is Disobeying Me

    Posted: 02 Jul 2021 07:04 AM PDT

    In this situation, my RTX 3070FE would normally reach 65 degrees, fan speed would be around 55%, and we could all have fun and relax. However, and I don't know what changed, reaching 60 degrees C now warrants the fan speed hitting 75% as if 60 degrees C is some dangerous temperature. I use MSI Afterburner to turn the fan speed down to 55%, and it works for a few minutes with no dangerous temperatures, then the 3070FE disobeys its master and inexplicably ramps back up to 75% fan speed. I tried using MSI Afterburner to edit the actual fan curve for something optimized for quiet, and instead, it's just locked at 75% fan speed. IK I'm using Afterburner correctly because it worked in the past, why has my GPU developed this rebellious nature and what can I do to bring it back to its sedate nature? I don't want to have to debate the ethics of neutering it with myself.

    As a side note: Setting fan speed to 55% cause it to ramp to 75-79% for some reason, and then setting back to auto sets fan speed to......30%. This Afterburner weirdness (possibly a glitch) still doesn't explain why, without afterburner, 60 degrees causes high fan speeds.

    submitted by /u/homixid3_
    [link] [comments]

    How long will third-gen Ryzen processors be around?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2021 12:46 PM PDT

    Looking for some advice about an upgrade. I have an entry level PC that I built a couple years ago (Ryzen 3 2200G, GTX 1050TI) and I'm planning to upgrade both the CPU and GPU at some point down the road, although I'm not in a huge rush.

    The thing is, I'd like to upgrade them without having to change out any other components (the PSU is 620 watts so it can definitely handle a modest upgrade). My motherboard is an MSI Tomahawk B450 (not the MAX version), which as I understand it is compatible 3rd-gen Ryzen processors after a BIOS update, but as far as I know it can't handle anything newer than that.

    This was my first PC build so I'm not really familiar with how processor hardware life cycles play out. My question is, how much longer are 3rd-gen Ryzen processors going to be around? Is there a known or estimated point at which AMD is probably going to stop making/selling them in favor of newer hardware?

    In other words, should I make an effort to buy something like a Ryzen 5 3600 sometime relatively soon, even if I don't upgrade the GPU until much later? How long can I afford to wait before I'm running the risk of getting stuck in a situation where I can no longer find an upgraded processor that's compatible with my existing motherboard?

    EDIT: Thanks for all the advice! I had no idea my motherboard could support the 5000 series. I guess that makes the issue kind of moot, and it sounds like the 3000 series is going to still be available for a long time either way.

    submitted by /u/unneededexposition
    [link] [comments]

    One of my fans seems to go haywire

    Posted: 02 Jul 2021 07:00 PM PDT

    So I have a all of Corsair fans, 5 sp120s and the 2 that are on my aio which is an h100 platinum rgb, wanna there ml120s but not certain but anyway very once in a while when I boot up my system of the aio fans starts spinning crazy fast like around 2000rpms but the other one is fine as well as the others. Only reason I'm asking is bc idk if I should be concerned bc once I'm in my pc and iCUE loads up the fans can be controlled through that and it goes back to normal. So 1) should be I concerned and 2) if so how do I fix?

    submitted by /u/choakley
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen 7 3800x cooling

    Posted: 02 Jul 2021 06:57 PM PDT

    I'm about to get a 3800x and was wondering if my be quiet! Dark Rock Slim would be good enough to cool it or will I need to buy something better?

    submitted by /u/IntimidatingL
    [link] [comments]

    NZXT H510 or Fractal Meshify 2 Compact?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2021 04:04 PM PDT

    Hello Reddit, first-time PC builder here and want to get some advice on case choice. I'm looking at either H510 or Meshify 2 Compact. I really like the look of H510, but not sure about its thermals… Meshify 2 seems to have great air flow potential but it's a bit more expensive.

    The parts I'll be using: CPU - Ryzen 5600X GPU - EVGA 3070 ti CPU Cooler - Noctua D15 or NZXT Kraken Mobo - ASUS X570 TUF Gaming Pro Other - 32G RAM and 2TB NVME storage

    If you have experience with either of the cases, could you share with me how they perform in terms of thermal and noise? And whether you use an air cooler or AIO? Thanks!!

    Edit: also adding Cooler Master NR600 to the mix

    submitted by /u/Niina_M
    [link] [comments]

    GPU Fan spins up loud for 1 second then goes back to normal.

    Posted: 02 Jul 2021 06:48 PM PDT

    GPU (1660ti) fan spins up every 10minutes or so rather loud and fast for about 1 second, temps seem fine never goes above 65°c, could It be the fan curve?

    submitted by /u/Juustlol
    [link] [comments]

    Is it worth it to wait for Intel 12th Gen and DDR5 Memory?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2021 06:38 PM PDT

    I'm planning to build a PC soon, I was going to go with a Ryzen 7 5800x and 32GB of DDR4 memory, but I'm wondering, would it be worth it to wait for Intel's 12th gen CPUs? (And DDR5 memory / PCIe 5.0 for that matter)

    submitted by /u/ParticleParty1
    [link] [comments]

    Will a noctua Chromax.Black-U12S be enough for a i5-10600k?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2021 06:15 PM PDT

    Chassis fans not recognized by motherboard

    Posted: 02 Jul 2021 08:21 PM PDT

    Troubleshooting Help:

    What is your parts list?

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mMQzDc

    Describe your problem. List any error messages and symptoms. Be descriptive.

    Brand new PC build, everything works fine except my three chassis fans are not spinning. They seem to be not recognized by my motherboard, even in BIOS.

    List anything you've done in attempt to diagnose or fix the problem.

    Updated my BIOS, tested with the 3 pin case fans I replaced and they DID work properly in the 4 pin motherboard port.

    Provide any additional details you wish below.

    All three of my Corsair LL120 fans have 4 pins and are plugged into the 4 pin Chassis fan ports on my motherboard. The RGB works just fine on the fans as they are connected to the Corsair RGB lighting node, however they will not spin.

    submitted by /u/Relyk7
    [link] [comments]

    Pc won't power on

    Posted: 02 Jul 2021 04:28 PM PDT

    My PC recently wouldn't power on. ASRock B450M Ryzen 2700x GTX 1080ti 32GB DDR4 I tested my power supply with the paperclip method and found that it turned on and was planning on upgrading some components anyways so now I have MSI Tomahawk B550 Ryzen 7 3700x same vid and ram After installation I'm still not getting any power even with trying to jump it on the mobo pins. I checked to see if the psu still runs with everything connected and it's all good, i took one ram card out and checked the slots and still nothing, I've double checked my connections 100 times. No LED, no fans spinning, nothing. I'm getting very irritated at this point

    submitted by /u/rdryerr
    [link] [comments]

    Worth upgrading from 3700x to 5800x? For VR and Ultrawide

    Posted: 02 Jul 2021 06:37 PM PDT

    I'm currently using a Ryzen 3700x + RTX 3080 Ti. In some of the games I play (VRChat, Rust, Assetto Corsa, Flight Sim, VaM😏), my GPU is always at 70%~ and CPU at 30%.

    Watched this video on YouTube and it seems that there's quite a bit of an improvement even from a Ryzen 3700x to 5600x due to the increase in single core performance.

    My friend is offering to sell his brand new in box Ryzen 5800x for $450 CAD. Do you guys think it's worth the upgrade if I mainly play VR sims?

    submitted by /u/Ernest_EA
    [link] [comments]

    My PC hates video games

    Posted: 02 Jul 2021 06:32 PM PDT

    I've recently been experiencing horrible issues with my pc that seem like there is no fix.

    About no less than a month ago my pc would shut off and give me a blue screen. This would be later fixed with the help of this YouTube video:

    https://youtu.be/DJTuG-OJTTg

    I thought my issues were done, until my pc ran into another issue. A black screen that says "No DP Connected entering power saving mode". I made a windows media installer usb to try fixing it with the guidance of the video above but to no avail. But the weirdest thing is that it happens only in games, and chrome can run for a while before shutting down.

    I've only seen one other person with this issue but they had no fix, this pc is pretty new so I have no idea what to do other than completely reinstall windows. But before I do that I thought I'd make a post.

    These issues started happening when there was a power outage, my gpu goes from showing led brand to red circles on the right before it happens, and there's nothing that fixes the black screen other than resetting.

    If there's a hardware issue what should I look for? I added fans not to long ago so that could be messing with the rest of the components since I removed the cpu cooler. Thx for reading this wall of text

    submitted by /u/AllTheTime-180
    [link] [comments]

    Asus tuf gaming x570 motherboard with Lian Li 011 Razer Case

    Posted: 02 Jul 2021 06:23 PM PDT

    Hello! I made a pc with the ASUS x570 motherboard and the lian li razer case only to realize that I had two problems. This is because my case has an rgb aspect to it but I cant get it to work at the moment due to not being able to plug in the included cables into my motherboard.

    -My first problem was that my case had a usb-c cable which my motherboard does not support, so I'm not sure what adapter I would need to solve this issue.

    -My second problem is that the case also had an additional usb 2.0 cable that I need to plug in as well. Only problem is that from what I can see, my motherboard only has 2 usb 2.0 spots which is already occupied by my fan and cooler cables. So I need one more usb 2.0 spot to connect my case into.

    Basically, I understand I would need to buy an adapter of some sorts but I'm just not sure what adapter I would need to buy that would support the two cables. Any help is appreciated please!

    submitted by /u/VShade__
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment