• Breaking News

    Tuesday, June 15, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - June 15, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - June 15, 2021


    Simple Questions - June 15, 2021

    Posted: 15 Jun 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    The current state of the PC components market - A message from your mod team

    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 02:06 PM PDT

    Howdy folks,

    As you may or may not be aware, the PC component market is reeling from a multitude of factors. Graphics Cards are extremely hard to come by, selling out instantly even at inflated prices and being resold on the second hand market for many times their original retail price. However the issues run deeper than this with a combination of Covid-19, cryptocurrency mining, tariffs, production limitations and other supply and demand factors coinciding to mean that finding graphics cards, CPUs and some other components has become incredibly frustrating.

    We all want to build great PCs, and right now it's hard and that sucks.

    We ask for your help during these shortages by requesting that you pay mind to the following:

    • We cannot predict when this situation will ease or end. No one has a crystal ball.

    • Don't ask us how to buy a GPU. You can read about others' experiences and see if you can emulate them with the time and skills you have available, but no-one has an easy answer. People are finding GPUs at retail and patience is one of the primary methods that yields rewards.

    • Some people might decide to use bots to assist them in making a purchase. On /r/buildapc, we do not condone the discussion, recommendation or advertisement of bots.

    • Please don't get scammed. This is a fraught market and fraudsters will exploit your desire to buy a GPU. If a product is being sold by a third party below market price in all probability it is bait for a scam. Never send money by bank transfer, Paypal Friends & Family, or strange cash apps you've not heard of until your seller suggests them. Engage in any non-retail transaction with extreme caution. Ensure any payments you make are covered by robust buyer protection. We will not permit topics such as 'Is this a scam?' or 'Did I get scammed?'

    • Do not offer to sell or ask to buy components in this subreddit or via direct message. Posts will be removed and posters banned.

    • Be kind to one another. Some people may choose to pay inflated prices. Other people may mine with their GPUs. Neither of those make abuse or harassment acceptable and we will take action against breaches of our rules concerning civility.

    In the meantime there are ways to build a PC now despite the GPU shortage:

    You could build a stop-gap system with graphics output integrated into the CPU or search for cheaper older used cards such as the AMD RX480/570/580 or Nvidia GTX 970/1060. Cards with less than 4GB VRAM are no longer optimal for mining and so may be more readily available. There are many possible solutions, and we're sure the buildapc community can help you if you need a PC right now and can't wait for supply to catch up to demand.

    To keep the rest of the subreddit on topic, please keep discussion of the GPU shortages, retail frustrations, etc. to this thread only. Other submissions will be removed.

    submitted by /u/OolonCaluphid
    [link] [comments]

    Is it ok if i dont use dual channel ram?

    Posted: 15 Jun 2021 05:01 AM PDT

    Two of my ram slots broke and i cant use dual channel now is it okay for performance if i dont use it on dual channel?

    submitted by /u/ImmoLade
    [link] [comments]

    Why do CPUs tend to have core counts in powers of 2? And why does the thread count tend to be the same as the core count or x2?

    Posted: 15 Jun 2021 06:49 AM PDT

    I've never had this explained to me before and it's been bothering me for awhile. So why do most cpus have core counts in powers of 2 (2,4,8,16,32,64...)? Why are there some exceptions to that rule (The ryzen 5 3600 with 6 cores, the i9 10900k with 10 cores)? And why do thread counts tend to be the same as core counts or double the amount?

    submitted by /u/TheFilthyTrout
    [link] [comments]

    3070 ti vs 6800

    Posted: 15 Jun 2021 04:58 AM PDT

    So currently i have a 6800 in my system. Always had an nvida card but because of the short supply i was lucky to even get the 6800. I just won a competition and got a msi rtx 3070 ti gaming x trio. I have seen that the 3070 ti performs much better when it comes to ray tracing and the fact that nvidia has dlss for their gpus. I know that AMD has some sort of feature similar to dlss coming soon but that this will be support by both amd and nvidia graphic cards. My friends say i should use the 3070 ti and sell the rx 6800 but i was wondering if i am making a huge mistake with that. What do you think?

    submitted by /u/Utelys
    [link] [comments]

    Strange sound

    Posted: 15 Jun 2021 01:08 PM PDT

    Hi! I am bulding my first pc but it makes this sound Is this normal?

    audio

    submitted by /u/SkyFoxITA
    [link] [comments]

    How to switch from AMD to NVIDIA GPU

    Posted: 15 Jun 2021 01:47 AM PDT

    Can someone kindly give me a step by step on what to do, the PC currently has an RX 480 inside and im replacing it with an rtx 3060

    thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/anaoxosnsn
    [link] [comments]

    I need help please !! Tricky DDR4 problems on a B450 A-PRO MAX and Ryzen 5 3600G

    Posted: 15 Jun 2021 03:33 AM PDT

    Hello !!
    I'm Sébastien from France and I just found this interesting topic.

    I need some help because I'm stuck with a tricky RAM problem.
    I made a "budget Gaming PC" for my nephew.

    But first of all, here is my setup:
    MSI B450-A PRO
    AMD Ryzen 5 3400G
    Asus GeForce GT1030
    HYPERX Fury DDR4 2666Mhz - 2x 8Go - HX426C16FB3AK2/16 (I checked it before buying and it was QVL on MSI website)

    All was fine until I tried to boot it:
    Nothing happened, and I had no video output on my screen (motherboard graphics or PCI-E card).

    My setup works fine with only one 8go installed and Windows 10 works perfectly.
    I tried to put my 2x8go of RAM everywhere on the slots, but at first, I tried the required positions by MSI on my motherboard.

    When I try to run it with both it won't start, but sometimes I have access to the BIOS and I can see the both 2x8go RAM running at 2666Mhz.
    Of course, I also tried to run the XMP, and tried to change the voltages (but I don't really know which voltage to try), with no success.

    I updated the BIOS with (i guess) the most recent one, but still nothing.
    Sometimes, I can access the BIOS but when I save it, and try to run Windows 10, it's just a black screen.

    I also ran a MemTest on only one RAM, and no errors...

    I tried a CMOS too.

    I'm a bit lost with this and maybe someone here could help me !!

    submitted by /u/ElectricalAd5529
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone just been itching to build lately?

    Posted: 15 Jun 2021 01:29 PM PDT

    Maybe its just me but with the market and everything as it is, it feels like the more impossible it is for me to build and get my hands on parts the more I desperately want to do it.

    submitted by /u/trippysIoth
    [link] [comments]

    I am looking for a 1440p 120hz (at least) monitor for my setup. I've got a 3080 and looking to upgrade from a 1080p 144hz monitor. I have my eyes on these three at the moment. I am open to any suggestions around $500 with similar specs. G-Sync is preferred

    Posted: 15 Jun 2021 05:07 AM PDT

    • AORUS FI27Q

    • Lenovo G27q-20

    • Predator XB273U

    Edit: I also have a PS5 so anything working with that would be great too

    submitted by /u/ManOfGames_YT
    [link] [comments]

    Can I take my ps4 storage drive and use it on pc?

    Posted: 15 Jun 2021 06:14 AM PDT

    Rarely uses my ps4 bc I finished all the games. I want to dl other games on my pc but only have a 240gb ssd bc it's new and on a budget.

    submitted by /u/Chikenoodles69
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrading from an Intel i7-7820X to AMD Ryzen TR 3860x

    Posted: 15 Jun 2021 12:56 PM PDT

    Hey everyone!

    I work as a wedding photographer and I primarily use my rig as a photo workstation. Of course, I'm also a gamer. After reading some benchmarks, I've been really interested in investing in this rather big swap. What are somethings I should consider before doing this? Will I see any performance increases on the gaming side of things? I still have a EVGA 1080 Ti that I'll probably hold onto until the next generation of cards outperform the new 30 series cards.

    Thanks so much in advance. I love how much technology has improved, but I also hate how scarce all chipsets and GPUs have been as well. Cheers!

    submitted by /u/68whiskeyactual
    [link] [comments]

    PC not booting after installing new GPU

    Posted: 15 Jun 2021 01:25 PM PDT

    So last night I swapped out my 970 for a Gigabyte 2060. When i first booted the PC after installing everthing worked perfectly. I had no issues. Today I try to turn my PC on and it loads to the boot screen and then the whole thing shuts down after a few seconds. Sometimes it makes it to the windows login screen and tries to login but shutsdown before it logs in. Ive tried reseating the card but that didnt change anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Im not super knowledgeable when it comes to building PCs and stuff so im at a loss for what to do.

    Here is my full build(except the 970 is now a Gigabyte 2060 OC)

    submitted by /u/blargman327
    [link] [comments]

    CL16 16-16-36 vs CL16 19-19-39

    Posted: 15 Jun 2021 05:14 AM PDT

    CL16 16-16

    CL16 19-19

    The 16-16-16 is a samsung b-die, while the 16-19-19 should by a Hynix. There is about 50 euros difference between the two products. Is it actually worth spending the 50 euros extra for the b-die?

    submitted by /u/Geeqo
    [link] [comments]

    Is it ok to have an nvme ssd directly beneath a GPU?

    Posted: 15 Jun 2021 02:15 PM PDT

    I have heard they can run hot and in turn so can my GPU. The slot on my motherboard is directly under the GPU.

    Just wondering if this is ok when using with a GPU or should a normal SSD be preferred? I already have 2 normal SSD's but I want to expand and thought nvme slot would just be easier.

    EDIT: I feel dumb for asking now since they are pretty much all under the GPU.

    I will leave this post up in case anyone googles the question.

    submitted by /u/LikwidSords
    [link] [comments]

    What is a ‘gddr’?

    Posted: 15 Jun 2021 02:14 PM PDT

    What does it mean when a gpu have gddr (gddr5 for example) is it something I have to worry about it? (I don't know much about computers)

    submitted by /u/Shahzam23
    [link] [comments]

    What CPU to pair with a EVGA 3080 XC3

    Posted: 15 Jun 2021 02:10 PM PDT

    I recently purchased a EVGA 3080 XC3. The thing is that I do not know what CPU to pair it with, I will mostly use my PC for gaming (Warzone, Battlefield, and GTA). Which CPU would you all recommend under $400?

    submitted by /u/albertod0821
    [link] [comments]

    Ram

    Posted: 15 Jun 2021 01:28 PM PDT

    My computer has 2 ram slots, what will happen if I only use one? will it work, will it be safe? I'm very scared doing all this kind of stuff bc I'm 13 rebuilding a desktop

    submitted by /u/DiamondCakeyYT
    [link] [comments]

    Should I do my first build without a GPU temporarily?

    Posted: 15 Jun 2021 01:02 PM PDT

    I've been wanting to build a PC for a while, I've seen multiple tutorials and guides and have also listed the parts I need. Though the only problem is the GPU obviously. I don't know if I should order the remaining parts and assemble them, and then add the GPU later on whenever I get it. Here is my part lists if needed:

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qj8zVc

    submitted by /u/SunkenCrayon
    [link] [comments]

    Is this graphics card worth it?

    Posted: 15 Jun 2021 05:20 AM PDT

    So I'm currently using a PS4 to game right now but wanted to build a PC. That being said, my best GPU offer right now is a 1650 4Gb card for 436 USD.

    The other specs are a Ryzen 5 3600, 16gb 3200mhz ram, and 1tb of storage, but I don't know if that combined with the GPU would run better than a PS4 (I'm hoping for 1080p 60fps Med settings).

    If the PC can't run that, then which GPU within a reasonable price (Maximum 620 USD) would be better than PS4 specs or would run most games at 1080p 60fps? It shouldn't be too powerful either, and should just meet these requirements.

    submitted by /u/UrAvgHomieDawg
    [link] [comments]

    RX 6800 Strix vs 3080 Ti FE

    Posted: 15 Jun 2021 02:19 PM PDT

    Ok, so there's a similar post up of another person that has an RX 6800 and to switch to a 3070 Ti or not. The consensus seems to be split with that decision, possibly a slight lean towards keeping the RX 6800 and selling the 3070 Ti for rasterization, monetary gain, etc.

    I'm currently in a debate myself to either keep a RX 6800 Strix card I received back in December when they were initially offered on Newegg (I had twitter stock alerts set up and was VERY fortunate to check out with it) or to go with a 3080 Ti Founder's Edition I camped out for at Best Buy for the launch about 2 weeks ago now. The 3080 Ti FE is still new in box, because I've been trying to find a Strix card trade partner for it (anything that would upgrade from an RX 6800 Strix) but that has proven to be very difficult. The fact that the 3080 Ti FE was $1199 is also a good price point for this card, whereas anything I'd be trading to AIB 3080 Ti is likely to be $200-800 MSRP added on my end. That doesn't seem like a good proposition value for basically the same performance

    I'm only debating this switch in GPU because I don't currently play any games that use RT and my build is ROG theme so keeping that aesthetic is somewhat important to me. I do want to get into more RT demanding type titles at some point, and to "future proof" myself as best as possible as well. I would like to know what others would do in my situation. Tomorrow I plan on upgrading my motherboard to the Dark Hero, and I'm going to decide whether or not to:

    1. Keep the RX 6800 Strix, sell the 3080 Ti FE
    2. Open up the 3080 Ti FE and put it into my rig, sell or keep the RX 6800 Strix as backup GPU
    3. Keep the RX 6800 in my rig for now, continue to look for a Strix card trade for the 3080 Ti FE

    Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. My Dark Hero is going in tomorrow, and I wouldn't mind seeing the thoughts in this situation.

    submitted by /u/Kzoo86
    [link] [comments]

    Artic A-rgb controller not responding to remote

    Posted: 15 Jun 2021 02:15 PM PDT

    I recently got ARCTIC P12 PWM PST A-RGB fans 3 pack and had to get a rgb controller for them since my MSI motherboard only has jrgb. I got the ARCTIC A-RGB Controller and can not get it to work with the remote. I plugged everything in and the fans keep "breathing" this yellow color and not responding to the remote. It has a clear line of sight and when I press something on the remote I see a red light come out so the remote should be working. Any ideas or just return?

    submitted by /u/DrJurt
    [link] [comments]

    How to Tell When You Should Upgrade?

    Posted: 15 Jun 2021 02:12 PM PDT

    Hi, I built a pc a few years ago and only upgraded the graphics card so far. It's got and intel i5 7500, gtx 1050ti, 8 gb ram and I was wondering how I can tell when I should upgrade. Currently I play older/lower spec games on pc and I play most of the newest releases on my xbox one but someday I would like to transition completely to pc gaming. I would prefer my pc to outperform the current gen consoles or at the very least be on par with them. Recently I have been looking into switching cpus to the ryzen 5 3600 or 5600 but I end up second guessing myself. I know there's no definitive way to tell but are there any rules of thumb as to when you should upgrade? Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/persona_enjoyer
    [link] [comments]

    MediaCreationTool.bat Hash value for iso

    Posted: 15 Jun 2021 02:12 PM PDT

    Used MediaCreationTool.bat to download the iso for window 2004, and the hash is:

    AF579B04F99BC49C559EE2DEA4EBD206B360495C2ACD8B5EDDC2B010036DEEEE 

    Does anyone know how to check if this is correct? Every site I can find online says the hash should be something different to this, and searching this hash here: https://www.heidoc.net/php/myvsdump.php

    brings up no results.

    submitted by /u/BillyTheHenFucker
    [link] [comments]

    What graphics card (<$300) for Minecraft, Sims and Age of Empires 2?

    Posted: 15 Jun 2021 02:07 PM PDT

    I want to give my girlfriend my old Dell G5 5000 gaming desktop, however as it currently stands it doesn't have a graphics card.

    Is a 1050ti good enough for 1440p or 4k 60hz on those specific games?

    CPU: i7 10700F Ram: 1x16Gb 3200mhz memory clocked down to 2933mhz 512 gb M2 SSD Dell proprietary mobo, psu and case

    I have done all necessary cooling mods so cooling isn't an issue

    submitted by /u/Putinamia
    [link] [comments]

    What card upgrade should I get?

    Posted: 15 Jun 2021 02:06 PM PDT

    I currently have a gtx 1050 ti in my rig and am looking to upgrade. Any recommendations on a gpu for that can Ray trace and play games well at 1080p.

    submitted by /u/dakrle27
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment