• Breaking News

    Sunday, April 18, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 18, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 18, 2021


    Simple Questions - April 18, 2021

    Posted: 18 Apr 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    UPS broke my PC: this is how I got my insurance money from them.

    Posted: 18 Apr 2021 11:19 AM PDT

    So I recently shipped a PC worth around $1,300 to a friend using UPS. I packaged the PC myself, feel like I over packaged it honestly, and shipped from a UPS center near me.

    When the PC arrived at my friends house, short in short it was broken as fuck. So, UPS broke it in shipping. And it's not like I shipped it with light packaging.

    I had already purchased insurance when I shipped it, so I filed a damage claim with them over the phone. They came and picked up the computer and started a 14 day investigation, at the end they denied my claim because it didn't meet UPS's good packaging guidelines/Because I didn't have it packaged at a UPS location (did it myself). The thing is, these guidelines have weird specifications (for example, they require you to double-box computer shipments. Huh?)

    When I googled what to do from there, Reddit posts were all really discouraging. They all said "hey you didn't do it right and it's your fault." This is not true. If a shipping company breaks your property when you've done what's within the reasonable man-standard for packaging an item (it was well packaged as would any reasonable person package it) they can't deny you for not double-boxing your computer, even if their contract says so. This is called tort. I'm not a lawyer, but I did a shit ton of research and found that shipping companies are held the highest standard by the law to not damage another individual's property.

    When they deny you (which if you packaged your PC yourself, they will do automatically) call them and explain to the representative that you packaged the computer by the reasonable man-standard and their denial was in bad faith. Tell them you want in writing the result of your appeal to their denial within 10 days and that you are looking into pursuing your legal remedies.

    I'm lucky because at this point, they caved and approved my claim. But I was very ready to sue them and I believe I had an extremely strong case on account of tort. Plus companies like these very rarely show up to small claims because lawyers are more expensive than what they owe you.

    So all in all: if UPS breaks your computer and denies your claim, you shouldn't give up. File an appeal to the denial and understand you actually are likely legally in the right and have great standing to sue them in small claims court where you can represent yourself for free.

    submitted by /u/lockedoutofmymainacc
    [link] [comments]

    Sold a GPU, buyer breaks it.

    Posted: 17 Apr 2021 04:18 PM PDT

    Apologies if this is the wrong place. I sold a new GPU, buyer tries to install and tells me it broke. Messages me to try to get me to RMA it from company I bought it from.

    I know i don't have to do anything as its not my responsibility. I'm guessing I couldn't/shouldn't do what he asks even if I wanted to. Is this a scam at all?

    Edit: With all replies I just wanted to add more information. I sold the card for the same price I bought, no scalping. It was face to face cash transaction. The buyer is more knowledgeable than me about pc parts etc, he told me to RMA it before I even knew what an RMA is. He said he has dealt with the company i bought it from many times.

    I do want to help just don't want to be scammed.

    Thank you for everyone's help. It is greatly appreciated.

    Edit 2: The buyer has been given proof of purchase and has been guided to take it up with manufacturer.

    Another thanks to everyone that helped. I know this is a small dispute but your advice really has put my worries at ease.

    Those that call me a 'scalper' despite me selling for the same price I paid for. I was planning to use this card (3070) in my future build but I managed to secure a 3080. I didn't find it right to sell for more money. I thought it would be the right thing to do.

    submitted by /u/Borty13
    [link] [comments]

    Solving the gigabyte RTX 3080 gaming oc's memory temperature issues

    Posted: 18 Apr 2021 04:58 AM PDT

    After noticing that my RTX 3080's memory was running very hot, very fast (100+ degrees regularly), I decided to attempt my first GPU 'mod', if you can even call it that. I just wanted to note this down here for anyone with the same issue (as there was fairly little documentation to be found on this subject).

    The specific card in question, the Gigabyte RTX 3080 gaming oc The gigabyte RTX 3080 gaming oc

    After opening the card, I found that the thermal pads were very oily after just a few months, and the thermal paste was fairly degraded already. The original paste and thermal pads Closeup of original thermal pads Closeup of original paste

    Opening it up further, there were no thermal pads that could conduct heat towards the back plate. As you can see, no thermal pads for the back plate

    I decided to replace all of the original pads and paste. I used Thermalright pads, both the 1mm and 2mm thick versions for the front of the card (measuring each original pad before replacing it). For the paste I used MX-4. After replacing the original pads and paste Closeup of new pads on the front

    I also added 3mm thick Thermalright pads on the back of the card, in line with the positioning of the memory modules. New pads on the back Another angle

    After closing everything back up, the card is about 5ish degrees cooler in general, but mainly my memory temps rarely exceed above 80 degrees in heavy workloads. Not saying that everyone should do this, but I'm honestly very happy about having gone through this process! I just wanted to document it here for anyone interested. If you have any questions, feel free!

    submitted by /u/Mettez
    [link] [comments]

    My dream PC!

    Posted: 18 Apr 2021 05:17 AM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/tRrJ6c3

    Yes you read it right! I built my first ever gaming PC with the money I earned myself! I'm from India so this is a pretty huge accomplishment and I'm super proud of myself!

    I've always wanted a gaming PC but since I'm from a middle class family, it has always been a luxury to me. All I've ever owned up until now are two crappy laptops which have bare minimum specs. I've been planning this build for over one year and it feels so good to finally have accomplished my dream!

    Here are the specs

    Motherboard: Asrock B550 Steel Legend

    Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x

    RAM: Adata XPG Spectrix 2x8GB 3600MHZ CL18

    GPU: RTX 3080 FE

    Storage: SSD - Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB

    Storage: HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2TB

    PSU: XPG Core Reactor 750W Gold Modular

    Case: Phanteks P400a Air

    Monitor: Samsung G7 Odyssey 27 Inch Variant

    Keyboard: Logitech G512 Brown switches

    Mouse: Model O wireless

    Headset: Logitech G733

    I do have one quick question though. Can someone tell me how do I enable theresizable BAR for my GPU? I did everything so far. I updated my bios to the latest version. Disabled the CSM thing, enabled the 4G thing and resizable bar option in the BIOS. My GPU drivers are up to date as well but I still see that resizable bar is "No" in the Nvidia system information tab. Please help!

    Thank you! Have a good day/night!

    Edit: thanks for the awards! They're my first as well xD! And I got the resizable bar as well thanks to a kind gentleman here :)

    submitted by /u/RuffCriminal1997
    [link] [comments]

    How bad of a time is it to build a pc?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2021 09:04 AM PDT

    I got told by someone that I shouldn't buy anything right now. I have a gtx 1070 waiting to get used but idk when I should start buying parts.

    submitted by /u/chrike01
    [link] [comments]

    Is this a good budget pc?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2021 09:12 AM PDT

    My first gaming pc, and a thank you to this subreddit

    Posted: 18 Apr 2021 05:48 AM PDT

    Just a short post; I finally got my hands on a GPU by signing my soul to cthulhu , and have finished my computer. I'd like to thank this subreddit for helping me troubleshoot things, and wish you all luck in your own projects!

    submitted by /u/int0thelight
    [link] [comments]

    Would it be possible to build a minecraft server with a Ryzen 5 3600x?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2021 02:09 PM PDT

    I have a 3600x from when I upgraded my cpu. Would it be possible to use this for a minecraft server with $300-$400 budget?

    submitted by /u/mediumpeak697
    [link] [comments]

    Burnt CPU- what does this indicate?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2021 01:30 PM PDT

    I have been building my PC and just found out that about 10 minutes ago my CPU has burnt and slightly melted some plastic on the motherboard. I have been having problems for a while and I just wanted to know what this indicates. I believe all my parts are compatible but there is a chance that they may not be (whether this be the cause). If you have any ideas please inform me. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Fit_Tangerine_5601
    [link] [comments]

    Need help may have fucked up....

    Posted: 18 Apr 2021 09:24 AM PDT

    So... Built my first PC Christmas just gone and have just decided to upgrade my CPU cooling with a nice AIO cooler. Set about installing it, CPU comes of with the old heat sink no biggy, 2 pins bent however. Straighten them out very carefully seems to fit back in the slot nicely. Install everything make sure I haven't knocked any cables out etc.

    Turn the back switch on, RGB's light up on motherboard but absolutely nothing happens when I press the power button. Have no idea if my CPU is too damaged (didn't look it,) have I fried my motherboard. Still fairly new to all this so any advice would be great otherwise I'm going to find a nice corner to cry in.

    Edit 1- Cheers for all the advice seems to have come to a dead end at the moment I'm going to try breadboarding the mobo. After that take it to a repair shop see if they could do any better.

    Update - As a last ditch effort I shorted the power switch plugs again (thank you u/uradonkey003) (for the second time) after fitting everything back on and the bleeding thing turned on no idea what changed but it did. So thanks for all the help I'll changed this to solved (even if I don't quite understand how.)

    submitted by /u/Fragrant-Squirrel265
    [link] [comments]

    How to turn on turbo? My mother board is x570 tuf gamming wifi, cpu is 3900x

    Posted: 18 Apr 2021 02:28 PM PDT

    I turned it off before to test temperature, I forgot how to turn it back to normal, now all my core were locked at 4ghz.

    submitted by /u/casksteven
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen 5 3600 with 3200mhz ram or i5 11400F with 2666mhz ram?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2021 01:39 PM PDT

    I don't really want to pay 60$ more for a b560 motherboard to be able to have 3200mhz ram.

    submitted by /u/Follow64
    [link] [comments]

    I am looking to build a PC with a budget of $1550. How long should I wait until I actually start buying parts?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2021 10:52 AM PDT

    I am 16 and I've been playing with mouse, keyboard, and monitor on my PS4. I've been saving up for a long time coming now and finally got a job and am 1 paycheck (2 weeks) away from having enough money to buy my dream pc. (I'll post the link to the pc part picker in the comments.) However, with this pandemic and massive gpu shortage I was wondering how long I should wait to start buying any parts. Should I wait until gpus come back or should I just buy parts as I can find them?

    submitted by /u/ebonsall23
    [link] [comments]

    Legacy HAF 932 case w/ EVGA 3080 Hybrid

    Posted: 18 Apr 2021 01:14 PM PDT

    The (2) tubes going up to radiator as well as the (3) 8-pin power connectors protrude out to the case side. So no room for the 200mm Noctua fan I had mounted there.

    Anyone using this case with a 3080 watercooled card and figured out a way around this?

    submitted by /u/gr1mzly
    [link] [comments]

    I built a pc using my late grandfather's case (~5 mo work)

    Posted: 17 Apr 2021 07:29 PM PDT

    Parts list:

    Case: mad dog brand Antec 900 (thanks guys!)

    Unplugged optical drive: Mad dog

    Fans: no idea, left in case

    Mobo: ASRock Phantom B550

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

    Memory: TEAMGROUP PC3200 Dark Z 2x16

    SSD: PNY CS900 1 tb (on RMA), Samsung 970 EVO plus 500 GB m.2

    GPU: MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ventus 2x Overclocked Dual-Fan 12GB GDDR6 PCIe 4.0 Graphics Card

    PSU: Unknown testing rig

    bios password: kept original (see story)

    Story: I decided to upgrade my grandfather's old PC (The old mobo thought it was 2007, it was running windows 98) and after a ton (A TON) of troubleshooting, ordering a new mobo/cpu/memory setup, I stalled out for a bit, trying out prototype GPUs, and finally managing to get a 3060 and put it in, I got a dead sata ssd. The 5 months were intermittent to be fair, but it's now up and running.

    I still have the old mobo and hard drives, because when my dad and I first tried to get into the bios of the old one, we hit a password. My dad guessed it in one. My grandfather used my name. I just want to say movies and tv shows absolutely do NOT do the emotions justice when you find out a password your name, I can't begin to describe how I felt in that moment. (My new mobo has the same password)

    Links to pictures: https://imgur.com/a/wIMpgVL

    edit: case update

    submitted by /u/Misophoniasucksdude
    [link] [comments]

    Computer no longer boots

    Posted: 18 Apr 2021 11:11 AM PDT

    FINAL EDIT: I unplugged my 3 TB HDD that I've had forever and now it seems better. Sadness, maybe Windows had stored some data on there? I don't get it.

    Edit: putting this at the top since I think it's relevant. I have removed and tried multiple ram sticks, I've tried booting via override and via the windows disk, I have now removed my boot SSD completely and still all I get is the green light and the ROG splash screen with "Please press DEL or F2 to enter UEFI BIOS settings" and pressing keys does nothing other than ctrl+alt+del to restart. I'm stumped. I've even cleared CMOS with the battery out. Same result.

    Hello, I have been having a problem with my computer. Since I've built it it would randomly get stuck on any of the little LEDs when stating up and wouldn't post. It just shows the Asus ROG screen. Restart a few times and it would work fine, usually this was only an issue after a power outage.

    Now however (since I restarted today and it said finishing update) I just get stuck on boot light. I get the ROG screen and nothing else and eventually it goes to the American Megatrends screen. I'll link a picture of it.

    I can get into the bios but the settings are reset and it won't work when I reboot afterwards.

    I'm running a 5600x (the bios has been updated and it's worked for months)

    5600x

    Asus ROG B550-f Gaming

    4x8GB HyperX 3200

    Asus AIO CPU cooler

    ASUS 3070 KO Gaming

    850W PSU

    M.2 boot drive

    images

    BIOS

    Edit: formatting and to say I've made 0 changes to the computer since January.

    Edit 2: I just noticed it says 2 keyboards and 2 mice. That was true during the restart (I have a VR rig I use for sims that has a keyboard and mouse on it. But when this screen appeared I had disconnected the rig about a dozen resets prior, don't know why it's showing that they're still connected...

    Edit 3: I used to have the CPU fan set to IGNORE because it's an AIO and the current CPU temp in the BIOS shows 28ºc (normal slightly above room temp)

    submitted by /u/GearheadXII
    [link] [comments]

    Black screen after booting windows 10 on new SSD?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2021 12:30 PM PDT

    I got a new SSD and windows 10 OS so I would boot windows on it and use my old HDD as storage. But now, after having the boot priority in BIOS on the SSD, all I get is a black screen with a white blinking horizontal bar and I'm not sure what to do.

    What I've done so far:

    -Tried to install windows 10 on the new SSD (even after changing boot priority) and it updated the windows 7 OS on my old HDD

    -After that, I unplugged the HDD and installed windows 10 on the SSD only (the install window came up and everything). At this point I was able to make a profile and actually log in

    -Tried to reconnect my HDD after and boot from SSD as the priority in BIOS. Windows 10 booted from the HDD

    -Unplugged the HDD again and tried to boot from SSD only. The motherboard logo will pop up, the windows logo will appear briefly and then the white flashing bar pops up and I can't do anything after that but reset

    -Upon resetting, I can't press del or F11 to get into BIOS options anymore and instead I keep getting a new black screen that says something like "reboot and select proper device"

    -When I reboot now it just keeps going to that screen and I still can't get into BIOS options

    What can I do to only boot from the SSD and use the only HDD as storage? Really stuck here.

    Edit: I've also used my Windows 10 key already on the windows install I was able to do on the SSD

    Edit: I booted from the HDD to look at the SSD and it says there was a migration error on the SSD due to partial or ambiguous mismatch. Any solutions?

    submitted by /u/Enter_The_Nucleus
    [link] [comments]

    Accidentally bent 4 pin RGB header!

    Posted: 18 Apr 2021 12:27 PM PDT

    When trying to do some cable management and make the front look neater, I accidentally bent one of the 4 pins needed for my RGB fans. The rest of the PC works (set it up etc), and the fans spin, but RGB doesn't show up.

    My motherboard luckily has another RGB header. Should I plug it into that one, or is there any way I can repair this bent one (by pulling it back in place, maybe?)

    This is my first build, so I'm very new to this! Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/idrivewagons
    [link] [comments]

    What are some good and quiet fans, RGB fans ? UK

    Posted: 18 Apr 2021 02:30 PM PDT

    Basically title

    Also looking for ones that come with a controller that connects 9 fans so I can control them ?

    submitted by /u/zombies--
    [link] [comments]

    Is My GPU Dead?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2021 09:27 AM PDT

    About a week ago I moved into a new room, at this point my GPU was working just fine. I unplugged my computer after turning off the power supply and moved it over. I took advantage of it being off and I decided to clean the inside to get rid of dust on everything. I used a towel and paintbrush to clean the: fans, power supply, case, GPU and the CPU cooling system. (I was under the impression that the only thing I couldn't clean with a towel was the motherboard) But it seems my GPU ceased to work after that. The GPU itself turns on and work the way it's supposed to, but it no longer displays anything. My monitor gets a "no signal, switching to rest mode," when this happens. I have a rx580 xfx that is about 2-3 years old. Is it really dead? And is there anything I can do to fix it, or will I have to purchase another GPU?

    submitted by /u/Juupiter7704
    [link] [comments]

    Yet another AMD Ryzen 5 3600 overheating post - how to diagnose

    Posted: 18 Apr 2021 02:23 PM PDT

    The AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with stock/boxed/wraith silent cooler is reaching 95C if I run Passmarks - CPU benchmark - Extended instructions (SSE) . 95C is maximum allowed temperature for a CPU specified by AMD.

    I have not yet experienced any other symptoms or issues yet, but this seems like a scary sign to me. I tried running only Valorant on it so far which gave me peaks of 85C but usually not more than 80C.

    I am using AI Suite 3 to get my readings from a 'CPU Package'.

    Please advise on

    1. Should I bother that it reached 95-96C at the highest possible load after rerunning Extended instructions (SSE) benchmark? Or is it just an extreme test and it is safe to assume that other usage won't be this hard. It reaches the peak and stays there only for a couple of seconds, then drops. The idle temp is about 70C
    2. Am I diagnosing this correctly? I realized the CPU temp readings are kinda harder to see than anticipated - the ASUS Motherboard had AI Suite 3 which includes readings for CPU and CPU Package where CPU is always lower. I've read here that Package is most likely the temp of hottest core, while CPU is most likely just temp of one core. HW Info is just showing peak temperature and not a graph, the Speedfan was not even showing CPU temp
    3. What should be my next steps?
    submitted by /u/BorecObecny
    [link] [comments]

    any good budget psu for an rtx 3070?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2021 12:06 PM PDT

    is there any psu under $100 good enough for r5 3600 and rtx 3070

    submitted by /u/THBinReddit
    [link] [comments]

    Swapped board and cpu and now have issue with gpu stability

    Posted: 18 Apr 2021 09:19 AM PDT

    I upgraded from a z370 board with a i5-7600k to a z590 board with a i7-10700k a few days ago. Everything went fine and the system booted up.

    When I started playing games (Outriders and Apex Legends) I was able to play for about 5-10 minutes then the game would freeze and crash. Specifically in Apex I was getting a dxgi device hung error when it crashed.

    I went into Asus GPU tweak and lowered my boost clock, memory clock and power target by 10. Everything seems to be stable and I was able to play numerous games of Apex with issue.

    I did not have any issues with my previous set up besides 100% cpu usage quite often. The temps on everything are good. My highest temp is on gpu around 71c at peak. Anyone have insight onto why this may be happening now?

    Here is my setup [PCPartPicker Part List](https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vc3Wvf)

    submitted by /u/pheebsx
    [link] [comments]

    Not sure about the compatibility

    Posted: 18 Apr 2021 09:19 AM PDT

    Hi Guys, I'm new here, my friend had a motherboard and a CPU laying around and he decided to give it to me! So I wanted to build my first desktop, I saved it for some months and got some spare change:
    Here is what I have:

    - Gigabyte B365M Micro ATX

    - i5 7400

    - budget of around 360 USD

    What I found that I think would fit, but I'm not sure just want some confirmation before I press the buy button. The GPU will come later but I want to make sure I can receive it.

    - Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 3.1 TG Micro ATX Tower

    - Kingston A400 2.5'' SATA III SSD - 480GB

    - Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM 2400

    - Rosewill Capstone 750W Semi-modular

    - Thermaltake Contact 150W, 120 mm

    Those components I found for a good price and are within my budget.

    Any additional comments on using Linux on this build?

    I apologize in advance for any inconvenience. I did my best search but I'm not that hardware literate.

    submitted by /u/mizuneiro
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment