• Breaking News

    Wednesday, March 10, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - March 10, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - March 10, 2021


    Simple Questions - March 10, 2021

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 04:00 AM PST

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Ram 64GB installed but only 14GB usable?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 04:25 AM PST

    Update 2:

    Thanks for all the help everyone I really appreciate it.

    Looks like it's been resolved. My motherboard doesn't support RAM modules bigger than 16GB. I'll have to return it and purchase 4 x 16GB modules

    A Valuable lesson was learned today. Honestly didn't know this was a thing.

    Again, thanks for all the help and advice.


    Update:

    Did not expect this post to get so much attention lol. But thanks for all the help.

    Here's some more information everyone has been Requesting:

    We figured out that I need to enable X.M.P to fix memory speed.

    My motherboard is capable of running 64GB of memory, some believe my mobo only supports 16GB dimms, while it's been pointed out that my motherboard does support my ram as per this website: https://pangoly.com/en/review/asus-strix-z270e-gaming/compatibility/ram

    Also, for those wanting to know why I got 64GB, I've started editing videos and running out of memory was starting to get really annoying. I figured since my mobo supports 64gb, I should just get it and not struggle for a bit. I'm planning on upgrading my pc anyway and decided to get the ram first.


    Hi Everyone,

    I recently upgraded the ram in my pc to 64GB, however when checking under system it shows that I only have 14Gb of usable ram. Anyone know how I can resolve this?

    I've made sure that the ram was installed in DIMM A2 and B2 as per the manual.

    I've also checked and I'm using the latest version of the BIOS.

    Also noticed that the bios is showing my ram as 2133MHz instead of 3200MHz.

    Kinda stumped here and any help would be appreciated.

    Edit: So it's making sense what alot of you have said, will probably need to get x4 16GB dimms. Really appreciate the help everyone!

    Specs:

    Intel Core i5-7600k CPU

    Asus Z270e Strix Motherboard

    Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ram (x2 32Gb DDR4 3200MHz

    submitted by /u/imo420
    [link] [comments]

    Got myself a 3060, but i wonder if everything is compatible and which part to upgrade

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 04:41 AM PST

    Hey guys, i finally managed to get my hands on a 3060, and since I'm kind of a noob to building I'm not sure what do i need to do to be sure that my computer will perform as expected(My goal is to play games at 1440p).

    I was also planning to pick a Corsair CX750M for my new GPU but I've seen mixed responses on old posts.

    But for now my pc basically is:

    i5-8400

    GTX 1060 3GB

    B360M Bazooka Motherboard

    16GBs of Ram

    500w PSU 350w PSU

    Can I just buy a new PSU for now or do i need to change something?

    submitted by /u/Jemios
    [link] [comments]

    Please stop falling for eBay scams

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 01:06 PM PST

    So I'm sure by now we've all seen someone asking about these listings or have even found them first hand. The listing will be of a popular graphics card that is apparently used and is very cheap(around $60 usd seems to be the average price). It's becoming a very popular scam with graphics cards, but it's a variation of the most common eBay scam. I've had to explain this multiple times over the past week to people who either fell for it, or were just about to fall for it so I thought I should make a post and explain it all so no one is buying these any more. Now before I explain the scam, don't worry if you've already bought one of these. You will get your money back at some point, it's probably going to take a while but you will.

    So here's how the scam works, someone will hijack someone's old eBay account, change all the payments details to some they've made for themselves and sell an item. After PayPal clears that money the person will now receive money instantly from eBay sales and that's where the scam begins. They will then list a very popular item for way too cheap, but because people need the item they will buy them very quickly before thinking about legitimacy. These listings will often sell 100s of items before anyone catches on. The seller then takes the money, ends the listing and sends the money around as many banks as they can, pretty much making that money untraceable. eBay then finds out what has happened but obviously they are too late and the seller has already made off with the money. Luckily eBays and PayPal's return policy means they will often eat that loss and send all buyers refunds for this but because of how long disputes can take you might be without your money for months until everything is sorted.

    So to sum it all up, stop falling for these scams and Stop giving your hard earned money to the predatory criminals that run these scams. These scams make finding graphics cards even harder, and the more people keep falling for them, the more of these scams will keep appearing on eBay

    submitted by /u/Lil-Nike
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendation for a Chair that is comfortable for long use and has great lower back support

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 05:04 AM PST

    I got into a motorcycling accident 2 years ago and have had lower back issues ever since. I'm now in a financial position where I can afford a high end chair but I'm a bit clueless on which to get that would be comfortable for long use and is great at supporting the lower back.

    The chairs I've seen so far that look good are:

    • Noblechair Hero

    • Noblechair Epic

    • Arozzi Vernazza

    Those are in order of price but I'm not super concerned with that.

    I know many recommend Herman Miller but they are not sold in my country(South Africa).

    I'm limited to what I can buy in my country but would appreciate feedback from users who have some knowledge about this.

    I'm 6'2 ft and 187lbs if that makes a difference.

    Thanks for any advice

    submitted by /u/toe_pic_inspector
    [link] [comments]

    I can get a 3070, any advice?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 03:56 AM PST

    so a local store in my tiny island are getting stock at the end of the month and i've reserved one.

    My PC currently is this
    Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite
    AMD Ryzen 5 2600x
    Nvidia GTX 2060s
    16GB Ram
    1TB HDD
    256GB SSD
    550w PSU.

    I know I need to get a new PSU if I get a 3070, do I need to upgrade my CPU as well? and should I even get a 3070? Thanks to anyone that responds :)

    submitted by /u/ETDesigns_
    [link] [comments]

    1080p 144hz or 1440p 120hz

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 05:07 AM PST

    What would you rather have for gaming 1080p 144hz or 1440p 120hz?

    submitted by /u/DeathStalkerPro
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to overclock my RAM to 3600 enabling XMP, but only get 2666 speeds

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 01:29 PM PST

    New builder here. Got a Corsair Vengeance 32gb 3600mhz rated ram which I'm trying to reach those speeds, but on Windows task manager, it's showing that it's at 2666mhz. Every time I try to enable the XMP profile, it seems that the computer struggles to boot and I'd occsaionally get a blue screen with an error code. I tried increasing the RAM voltage to 1.35V but I still get the same error.

    The motherboard I'm using is the Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AX (on version F11 bios), with a 5600x cpu (running at stock speed). Power supply I'm using is RM750 by Corsair and graphics card is RTX 3080 (if that has any significance).

    Anyone know what's going on? Any help appreciated.

    submitted by /u/S7Tungsten
    [link] [comments]

    My PSU just died... I have a question about that.

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 06:18 AM PST

    Yesterday night I forgot to turn my computer off before going to sleep. I woke up at night, saw the lights inside the case, and wanted to shut it down. But since I didn't want to wake my wife up, I just unplugged the power cable. (I know, I shouldn't have. I am an idiot. Also, I needed to sleep.)

    I heard the fuse blow circuit breaker tripping. It was 2 am at night, so I just went to sleep.

    In the morning, I plugged the power cable in and I tried to put the circuit breaker to its prior position, but no luck, it went off again. So I unplugged the cable again, turned the fuse circuit breaker on.

    So maybe this is the second time I was an idiot: I plugged in the power cable again. The moment I switched the PSU on, the fuse blew circuit breaker tripped again and this time there was a smell (and some sort of light) coming out of the PSU.

    I am pretty sure the PSU is dead, as everything works again with my spare PSU. Amazon already refunded the item, so all is good. My question is: Is it normal for the PSU to die if you unplug the power cable from a computer that is turned on? It seems weird to me.

    The PSU is a Corsair SF600. I am lucky that no other part was damaged. I used the opportunity to upgrade to an SF750 anyway. :) Cheers.

    submitted by /u/cthd_
    [link] [comments]

    I found a MSI Armor RX 580 that cost $60. It sounds so good to be true. Is this a scam?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 06:30 AM PST

    I am new into building pcs and I am planning to build on a budget when I start getting money. On Ebay I found MSI Armor RX 580 that cost $60. I heard it was used for mining (maybe) and it sounds too good to be true. Usually RX 580 A LOT more than 60 bucks. Is this a scam?

    submitted by /u/GeoffJuan
    [link] [comments]

    1440p 85 hz vs 2160p 60 hz

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 11:11 AM PST

    So I have a monitor that can do 85 hz at 1440p and 60 hz at 4k. Which one is better and can you notice the 25 hz difference?

    submitted by /u/FR35Y_05
    [link] [comments]

    Can a 1050ti handle a LG CX 48" 4k TV?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 11:34 PM PST

    There are plenty of videos of this badass TV serving a dual purpose. I'm simply wondering if an older graphics card such as the 1050ti can handle such a screen? My primary use for the TV is productivity but then I'd like to do some gaming at some point. I don't intend to play top tier flagship games because I know the little 1050ti might struggle a little. I also accept I may have to run the games I do play in 1080. That's fine for now. But what do you think? Anyone with similar experience?

    submitted by /u/Csphilli
    [link] [comments]

    R7 5800x temps

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 05:52 AM PST

    I just recently bought a Ryzen 7 5800x that I've yet to install and just recently found out that they tend to run really hot temps. Should I be worried about this? I'll be getting a Noctua NH-U12S cooler and I wonder if it'll be enough. My PC is mainly used for gaming.

    submitted by /u/Shartleness
    [link] [comments]

    Ram stick issue

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 02:29 PM PST

    I've currently bought 4 ram sticks at this point. Yet only one stick works with my pc. That stick works in every slot, and my pc will not turn on with any other stick of ram no matter which slot they are plugged into. Please help.

    submitted by /u/Buttholerolls
    [link] [comments]

    I’m looking into upgrading my pc. What do you recommend? I don’t know much about pcs. This one was given to me as a gift

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 01:30 PM PST

    Current PC specs that I know off hand

    Gtx 980 8GB DDR3 ram I5-2400 @ 3.1GHZ

    I'm able to play most games I've tried, but I think I need an upgrade of some sort. I've been looking at pre builts, but I don't necessarily know what is actually worth my money

    submitted by /u/Snyng
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to get a pc for like 500 right now?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 01:29 PM PST

    So my sister wants a pc to play and stream Minecraft from, is this even possible for like 500 right now. Trying to come up with something but everything I do ends up being like 700 and thats just a lot right now.

    submitted by /u/torching-flamingos
    [link] [comments]

    Looking To Upgrade Something

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 01:16 PM PST

    I i've been able to save up like $600 through Christmas and my birthday, so I've been thinking about putting some of that money into my pc. One thing i do need is some extra storage, 500 gb isn't cutting it anymore. I don't know if i should get another ssd or a hdd into it. Other from that i don't really know what i should add. I just use my pc mainly for playing games such as gta, rainbow six siege, csgo, Minecraft, modded skyrim, and the witcher 3. I've been able to run all those games fine on 1080p for now. On some games maybe i would like it to run a little better because my frames can jump from 130 to 80 so i'd like those minimum fps to go a bit higher.

    This is my parts list btw everything in my pc i bought was new except the gpu which was used for like 9 months but i got it for $280 on November so it's fine.

    [PCPartPicker Part List](https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ywGKgt)

    Type|Item|Price

    :----|:----|:----

    **CPU** | [AMD Ryzen 3 3100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ndwkcf/amd-ryzen-3-3100-36-ghz-quad-core-processor-100-100000284box) | $180.95 @ Amazon

    **Motherboard** | [Gigabyte A520M AORUS ELITE Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wMtKHx/gigabyte-a520m-aorus-elite-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-a520m-aorus-elite) | $84.99 @ Amazon

    **Memory** | [Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/z3VD4D/team-t-force-vulcan-z-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3200-memory-tlzgd416g3200hc16cdc01) | $82.99 @ Amazon

    **Storage** | [Crucial P2 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/G9XYcf/crucial-p2-500-gb-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-ct500p2ssd8) | $59.95 @ Amazon

    **Video Card** | [Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/C4Dkcf/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2060-super-8-gb-windforce-oc-video-card-gv-n206swf2oc-8gd) | $280.00

    **Case** | [Montech Air 900 MESH ATX Mid Tower Case](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/D66qqs/montech-air-900-mesh-atx-mid-tower-case-air900-mesh-black) | $70.00

    **Power Supply** | [ARESGAME AGV 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4qK2FT/aresgame-agv-500-w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-agv500) | $39.69 @ Amazon

    | *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |

    | **Total** | **$798.57**

    | Generated by [PCPartPicker](https://pcpartpicker.com) 2021-03-10 15:57 EST-0500 |

    submitted by /u/SurgeDoes
    [link] [comments]

    Black screen flickering w/ LG G-sync monitor in dual setup

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 01:15 PM PST

    A few months back I bought a pre-built pc which I use for moderate gaming.
    Specs: i5 9400f, 2060 RTX, 16GB RAM. Was aiming for 144 Hz 1080p and got myself the LG 27GL63T which is a 1080p 144Hz 1ms G-sync monitor. My second monitor is an older 1080p 60Hz monitor.

    First few months of gaming was very light gaming only (GTA vice city, SA, black mesa, some COD MW2 - nostalgia kicking in I guess). Until recently I decided to give Apex a try. Also started playing Skyrim for the first time. First few days without any troubles, until a few days in when I started noticing black flickering. They could occur after 10 minutes since booting the pc, or after 1 hour. But when they came, it progressively worsened from a small flickering black screen every 2 seconds to almost lasting black screens.

    Figured it could be the DP-cable, tried several, same issue.

    I then went on to instal the latest driver and disabled G-sync which seemed to have been the solution for the issue...
    Until two weeks later. I was using my second monitor to watch some YouTube, when suddenly the main/new monitor (that had the black flickering before) went completely black. I turned the monitor off and on and it worked without any issues. However, it still feels like something is off and I'm not sure if there's a correlation between the two issues.

    Do you guys think this is a hardware issue (e.g. faulty GPU/monitor (port))?
    Keep in mind I have been using both for 4 months without issues before.

    Any help or feedback is really appreciated!

    Edit: I ready about people using CRU, which lets you choose fps ranges. I will try that tomorrow.

    I also figured it mostly occurs with 'cheaper' freesync/g-sync 'compatible' monitors and people have been having this issue for years. Some say it's driver related.

    submitted by /u/Rejk95
    [link] [comments]

    PC Not Booting Up

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 04:47 AM PST

    Hey guys, I'm having an issue where my PC just doesn't boot up. When I turn it on the fans do start rotating, everything seems fine but the DRAM LED light turns on immediately, then after a bit of time the boot LED lights up but nothing shows up on the screen. It stopped working when I upgraded my PC specs from: i5 6500 B150 Gaming M3 R9 380 Ballostix Sport (red) 16gb (2x8) 2400mhz

    To: Ryzen 5 5600x Asus TUF B550M-Plus same GPU (some time soon hopefully RTX 3070) same RAM.

    I've tried cleaning the RAM, restarting it a bunch of times, taken out the CPU and put it back in, remove battery, clean all Bios etc.

    I hope nothing is wrong with the parts.

    All of the cables are connected correctly, everything is in the correct place. Any help would be really appreciated!

    submitted by /u/boi_tuoc
    [link] [comments]

    Bought the GPU and CPU already. What does everyone think of the other parts?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 11:18 AM PST

    PCPartPicker Part List

    Type Item Price
    CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor $299.00 @ Newegg
    CPU Cooler ID-COOLING SE-224-XT 76.16 CFM CPU Cooler $34.99 @ Amazon
    Motherboard Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2 ATX AM4 Motherboard $169.99 @ B&H
    Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory $179.99 @ Newegg
    Storage Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $104.99 @ Amazon
    Video Card Zotac GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB Twin Edge Video Card $450.00
    Case Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case $94.99 @ Amazon
    Power Supply EVGA G1+ 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $106.99 @ Amazon
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total $1440.94
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-10 14:16 EST-0500
    submitted by /u/krazypunk1018
    [link] [comments]

    finished an RGB build for my girl!

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 09:20 PM PST

    this is probably the best looking PC i've built

    tower

    case: phanteks 350x eclipse

    fans: 3x phanteks sk120mm drgb

    mobo: asus prime a z490

    cpu: i5 10600k

    cpu cooler: vetroo v5

    ram: gskill 16gb 3200mhz

    gpu: evga 1070ti xc3.0

    psu: evga 750 gold gq

    peripherals

    monitor: msi g24c

    keyboard: steel series apex 5

    mouse: g203

    https://imgur.com/a/SswkiZM/

    submitted by /u/whatinthejohn
    [link] [comments]

    Building an (AMD) PC for the first time (in a long time) and i am a bit overwhelmed with all the possible settings.

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 08:56 AM PST

    So the last time a built a PC was in 2012 and it used an intel CPU.

    since then a lot has happend and i am now building a new one. I already got all of the part here https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gYnksX (well the GPU is on its way) and i have been looking into (well trying) all the possible settings and optimizations one can do.

    So i know i need to enable XMP to get the 3200MHz out of my RAM and that i should enable resizable-bar to make use of SAM. I also read something about PBO and am unsure how exactly it works or if i should make use of it when i dont have any prior OC experience and dont want to risk messing up my system.

    It would be great if someone could help me with this and maybe remind me of other things i should be aware of to do (or not) to get the most out of my system.

    submitted by /u/JanEric1
    [link] [comments]

    Please help me with my HDR settings

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 02:42 PM PST

    Hello everyone,

    I struggle to set up my hdr screen right, I have colors that overflows everywhere and artifact as you can see here. the dark zones also looks blurry in bright scenes.

    I've got a Dell S3220DGF and I run it on a RTX3070 with a display port cable. All my drivers are up to date, I already tried DDU two times and I am a little helpless here.

    Thank you very much for your help.

    submitted by /u/Rydkey
    [link] [comments]

    Monitors not working after installation of new drivers

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 02:39 PM PST

    I installed new drivers through support assist and it automatically restarted my PC and afterwards all of my monitors don't have a signal. Can anyone help?

    submitted by /u/Groundbreaking1219
    [link] [comments]

    Secondary hdd to ssd?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 05:17 AM PST

    I've been using a 2tb wd black hdd for all my games. Would upgrading that hdd to a ssd speed up load times of vr games, and games with lots of mods?

    submitted by /u/One-Ad5351
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment