• Breaking News

    Sunday, November 22, 2020

    Build a PC: Check your new CPU for a Fake!

    Build a PC: Check your new CPU for a Fake!


    Check your new CPU for a Fake!

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 09:20 AM PST

    So a few years ago (circa Ryzen 1700) there were rings of people taking Ryzen processors, swapping them for fakes (usually old LGA processors) and returning them with clear labels on them.

    I had thought that it mostly ended a while back, but I just ordered a processor from an online retailer most of us have ordered from and it was first party (not that rando third party crap that is sketchy) and my processor was a fake.

    When you buy a processor (this occurs in-store and from reputable sellers) be sure to check for a few things:

    • Examine the security seal closely, they should be near perfect and the text near perfect, if it is odd then proceed with caution.

    • Look through the window at the CPU and make sure it looks right. Look at the heat spreader, check if it has the same design as the processor should have. Google it and make sure that you dont find dummy models sent to news outlets, those have the same designs as the fakes. Find a review with a photo of the CPU in the socket. Make sure it is identical.

    • While looking through the window see if the markings on the CPU are on the CPU or in the CPU. I believe both AMD and Intel use laser markings now, so you should be able to tell. Look at the edges of the top of the CPU for any lines that could denote a sticker affixed to the top of the CPU.

    • TAKE PHOTOS IF YOU ARE UNSURE, EVERY STEP OF THE WAY!

    My Experience - I purchased a i9-10850KA (yup, probably the latest Intel on the market indicating this is still occurring) and when I got it, it didn't feel right. The box was messed up, but IDC if the processor is fine. But it was really banged up, and the security tape was not clear, it had oddities in it - so I started taking photos. I looked at the processor and as I havent upgraded in about 4 years It didnt strike me as odd. I opened up the box and grabbed the CPU and thats when I noticed that it appeared there was a sticker on the top and a small defect in the way it was applied. At this point I was 99.9% sure it was a fake so I started looking online for 10850k/10900k CPU's and thats when I saw 1: dummy CPUs have this shape and 2: the real CPU in the socket is all you should be looking for, and thats when I noticed mine was a fake.

    What could this have done if I placed it in my $400 motherboard, who knows but it would have absolutely made my return/refund process monumentally more difficult.

    I got lucky, my experience saved my butt but I know a lot of people that post here are brand new, so before you bend pins or potentially short a motherboard out...

    OPEN YOUR CPU AND EXAMINE IT!

    Article about the situation with the 1700x - https://www.pcmag.com/news/fake-amd-ryzen-chips-appear-for-sale-on-amazonebay

    My pics - https://imgur.com/a/Z2RxaP7

    Edit - some of you saw this yesterday but it was removed because I mentioned the retailer I bought it from in the title

    submitted by /u/altimax98
    [link] [comments]

    I’m in love

    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 08:49 PM PST

    My wife just said "I've been learning about over clocking today on r/buildapc"

    ...

    I love her more each day.

    😂

    submitted by /u/misterlindsey
    [link] [comments]

    Interesting 3080 story.

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 09:57 AM PST

    An interesting thing that happened yesterday about a friend getting a RTX 3080. Basically two days ago my friend was looking around for a 3070, keep in mind this is NZD (New Zealand Dollars). He found one for $999 and was considering buying it within the next week, a day goes by and I get sent a picture from him in the morning and it's a RTX 3080 and I ask him how do you switch from a 3070 to a 3080 overnight and he asks me how much do i think it was? I say 1.5k because that's how much it's worth here and he comes back and says he got it for the same price as the 2060 super he bought months ago which was $750. Ask him how he got it so cheap and he says he got it off a church mate, he sold it to him because he himself won a RTX 3090 from giveaway so he didn't need it anymore. Moral of the story, i've never seen two lucky people.

    TL;DR Friend got a 3080 for basically 50% off, church mate sold it to him because he won a 3090 giveaway

    submitted by /u/Rhiyuu
    [link] [comments]

    I just got my bonus and have $1000 to blow. What should I upgrade first on this build?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 07:11 AM PST

    CPU: Ryzen 5 1600AF (non-OC, stock cooler) (12nm refresh - essentially an underclocked 2600)
    GPU: MSI Armor OC RX 580 8GB
    MoBo: MSI B450 Tomahawk
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB DDR4-3200
    SSD1: Crucial MX500 500GB Sata 3
    SSD2: Crucial P5 1TB M.2
    PSU: EVGA BR 600W 80+ Bronze
    Case: Cougar MX330
    Monitor: Samsung 27" Curved 1440p 144Hz

    I had originally wanted to upgrade to one of the new GPUs (either an RX 6800 or RTX 3070) and a Ryzen 5000 CPU, but from what I can tell, those upgrades would also require a larger PSU (700W+) and a higher end MoBo (B550), respectfully. Instead, I'm considering going up to an RX 5700XT and a 3000 series Ryzen 7, and possibly an AIO for the CPU.

    I've only had this build since April, and I don't really want to feel like I'm replacing the whole damn thing. Do these seem like good upgrades at this time? Should I save up and wait until I can afford a new PSU and MoBo as well? Or should I just hold off and put this money toward my next build?

    I've also considered using this money to build a media server so I can reduce the physical footprint of my large DVD/Blu Ray collection, and/or get an Xbox Series X.

    submitted by /u/ExtrapolatedData
    [link] [comments]

    Finally built - 5800X + Aorus 3080 Master

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 09:40 AM PST

    https://imgur.com/a/IgEIAe5

    First time using an AIO

    submitted by /u/Zulo_AT
    [link] [comments]

    Finally ordered my dream pc

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 01:26 PM PST

    My previous post was removed Because of my all caps titel. So here we go again. I finnaly scraped together enough money for my dream gaming/ work station. Im Very exited for all the parts to arive, so ill just post the specs.

    AMD ryzen 9 5950x Asus GeForce RTX 3090 ROG STRIX OC 128GB TridentZ RGB 3600 speed Corsair Force MP600 NVMe m.2 2TB 2 Samsung 860 Evo 2TB SETA SSD Corsair HX1200i psu Asus ROG crosshair mobo Lian Li PC-O11D XL case NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm AIO 13 Corsair LL120 RGB fans

    submitted by /u/McFluffels420
    [link] [comments]

    What’s the difference between different 3070 cards?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 11:27 AM PST

    I see MSI, ASUS, EVGA, and Gigabyte all putting out different 3070 cards. What's the difference between the cards, and which should I go with? Does it matter? Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/SoyBoy478
    [link] [comments]

    Investing in a pricey PC for the future.

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 11:14 AM PST

    My budget is about $1500-$2000 but I'm willing to go over. Want it to be future proof as much as possible with this prince range but as I stated I am willing to go over.

    submitted by /u/playboicartii
    [link] [comments]

    Is Core i5-10400F really only 4% faster than Core i3-10100F??

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 10:46 AM PST

    But i5 is almost two times more expensive, what's up with that?

    UserBenchmar comparing them

    submitted by /u/bugaj01
    [link] [comments]

    Is this PC worth 799$, I can buy it from a friend and need some feedback.

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 07:52 AM PST

    I used to have a MSI GS65 laptop, however I had to return it because it had a lot of issues. I miss being able to play games and someone made me this offer.

    So these are the specs,

    • Intel Core i5 10400F 4.1 GHz
    • Gigabyte H410M H Socket 1200 motherboard
    • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 -2666
    • AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 8GB HBM2 Gaming OC GPU Gigabyte
    • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1250GB HDD
    • Zalman Gigamax 650 watt 80+ bronze PSU
    • Sharkoon V1000 Case

    Is this worth the money? I would love to hear some feedback from you experts!!

    submitted by /u/maxm1999
    [link] [comments]

    My first ever PC

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 10:41 AM PST

    Hi all,

    Just wanted to share my first PC build. I've been on console since I was little and now that I'm an adult I have decided to join the master race club. I've also only experience pc games via mac bootcamp (I design so I've been with apple since forever). Now that I've tried playing on a real pc I realized how much I've been missing out :))

    https://imgur.com/a/0BztecD

    Specs:

    cpu Ryzen 7 5800x

    cooler corsair h100i platinums se

    mobo b550 steel legend

    ram crucial ballistix 3600 cl16

    storage sarbent rocket pcie 4 1tb

    gpu msi ventus 3x 3070

    psu corsair rm850x

    case phanteks p500a

    extra fan: corsair LL 140mm

    Note: I cant get my exhaust fan's rgb to work but it spins fine. I've tried all rgb headers on my asrock motherboard rgb led and argb. If anyone can help that would be great. :) thinking it might be a defect will return soon.

    submitted by /u/GoshaDrip
    [link] [comments]

    Am I incompetent or did I get a bad mobo/CPU?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 01:51 PM PST

    I'm upgrading my old rig to a 3700x and B550 (MSI Gaming Edge wifi) and 2x16 RAM.

    My first attempt worked fine I swapped out the motherboard, installed the new CPU and RAM. I attached the drives and booted back into windows, no problems at all. CPU-Z showed me all the new hardware and games were running well. Sweet! Or so I thought...

    Later in the day I decided to open back up the case and clean up some cables. I unplugged some fan cables and moved them around to tidy up. When I put it back together, the system did not post. Fans all spinning up, but no BIOS.

    So then I began debugging. I built and rebuilt the PC 4-5 times. I tried using single RAM sticks one at a time, disconnecting all peripherals, reseating the GPU and CPU, resetting CMOS, installing an aftermarket CPU cooler I had lying around, different monitors... every last troubleshooting tip I could find online. I even flashed the latest BIOS on the board. I finally rebuilt the old system to double check that the PSU and GPU still work (they do). I now have built the absolute minimum outside the case and it's still not working (motherboard, CPU, GPU and 1 stick of RAM).

    So I'm pretty frustrated at this point. How was it working, then suddenly not? Could I somehow have fried the motherboard? Should I just RMA and try again?

    Thanks in advance for any advice or tips.

    Edit: forgot to mention, the motherboard debug light for the CPU is on. So I'm assuming either motherboard or CPU is not functioning correctly. It was actually also on while the system was originally working, but I ignored it (didn't really notice what it was until later).

    submitted by /u/papayapap
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrading To RTX 3070 & Ryzen 5 5600x For Streaming & Gaming (Same PC)

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 12:14 PM PST

    Hello everyone, so I'm currently upgrading my PC for streaming. I got a new GPU and CPU.

    My current specs: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

    GPU: Loaner gpu

    RAM: 16GB @ 3600

    PSU: 750W

    CPU cooler: Corsair AIO H100i

    Case: Corsair 280x

    I would like to game at 1440p 100+ fps while streaming at 1080p 60fps. Is this possible? Or should I return the 5600x for a 3700x for a higher core? I don't know much about streaming from the same gaming machine. I will be using OBS for recording.

    Any help is appreciated, thank you!

    submitted by /u/Agent_Cringe
    [link] [comments]

    Where can i find GPUs in stock or when will they be restocked?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 01:19 PM PST

    I'm looking for a RTX 3070 or 3080. I can't seem to find them anywhere. I'm in the western part of the united states if that helps. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/SteamBoatEvan
    [link] [comments]

    What to upgrade on this build £500

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 11:44 AM PST

    So I have £500 spare and I'm looking to upgrade my pc, so what should I upgrade first and obviously certain parts I will sell!

    Pc:

    GPU: GTX 1060 6gb CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 Mobo: MSI B450 Gaming Pro carbon ac Ram : 16gb Corsair Vengance 3400mhz HDD: Seagate 1tb SSD: Samsung 860 evo 500gb NZXT H500i

    submitted by /u/QUlllN
    [link] [comments]

    will the 3600 bottleneck an RX6800XT at 1440P?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 09:04 AM PST

    if i go for the 3600 with the 6800XT, i can save some money over going for the 5600X and 6800, but doing so will obviously downgrade my CPU.

    will this CPU cause bottlenecking issues at primarily 1440p with this card?

    submitted by /u/Mariosam100
    [link] [comments]

    GPU just enough for 60fps 1080p in most titles?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 11:06 AM PST

    B460 phantom gaming audio dead?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 11:06 AM PST

    My ASROCK B460 phantom gaming is not outputting any coherent sound, all I get is a digital Glitchy noise like a dial up modem when the Pc tries to play a sound.

    Tried latest bios and drivers from ASROCK website. Does anybody know a possible fix? audio through HDMI is normal.

    Onboard audio is set to ENABLED in bios, already tried cycling.

    submitted by /u/flyinnotdyin
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to Upgrade Prebuilt

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 01:48 PM PST

    Currently running a HP Envy 700-010, she has been with me for six years. I installed a r7 250 a few years back.

    I current am running with a 500 to 800 US dollar budget, main priority part is a gtx 1660 Ti. All other parts are in the air at the moment.

    I do have a i7 3770 non k laying around with a propriety mobo, which as far as I'm aware would bottleneck the 1660 just as bad as the A10-6700 that is in the Prebuilt HP Envy.

    Any suggestions for parts are welcome.

    submitted by /u/puppy1577
    [link] [comments]

    Good NVMe SSD?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 09:03 AM PST

    Im looking for System only NVMe SSD so not bigger than 120 GB, which ones are good?

    And is there anything you should pay attention when getting an M2 SSD?

    submitted by /u/kristallglad
    [link] [comments]

    How do you get the gpu installed sideways?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 01:31 PM PST

    Modern builds have gpus installed parallel to the mobo. How? Is it only dependent on the case? How does the gpu attach to the mobo?

    submitted by /u/Fizz712
    [link] [comments]

    NVIDIA and AMD stocks - Where to check ?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 07:53 AM PST

    Hi,

    I guess it's the millionth time this question has been asked but I can't find any correct answer - if there is any.

    What are the news regarding the availability of the new gen of NVIDIA and AMD gpus ?

    I already "sold" my current GPU to a friend for Christmas and I hope I would be able to replace my GPU before.

    Is there any resource we can check regularly ?

    Thanks !

    submitted by /u/joelecamtar
    [link] [comments]

    Did you manage to "hide" the horrible 12pin cable of the 3070 that is positioned in the middle of the graphic card?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 01:11 PM PST

    I'm looking for ideas to try to manage that cable. Its literally in the middle of my case, my graphic card looks like an elephant and looks very awful inside my nzxt :(

    submitted by /u/Punyon
    [link] [comments]

    Can I raise supported RAM speeds with the DOCP profile

    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 01:08 PM PST

    I have an already built system with an AMD A10 9700 processor which only supports up to 2400MHz RAM speeds and a b350 motherboard, I'm looking to get some 3200MHz RAM because it is cheaper then the 2400MHz model and while doing some research I came across the DOCP profile for RAM and apparently if I enable it then my RAM should run at 3200MHz speed and still be supported by my CPU even though it has a max RAM speed of 2400MHz, is this true? (I can give more details if needed)

    submitted by /u/dgugfjjfhif
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment