• Breaking News

    Sunday, September 27, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - September 27, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - September 27, 2020


    Simple Questions - September 27, 2020

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 05:11 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Can we please stop recommending the 3060 and 3050?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 07:43 AM PDT

    Every post I see says "wait for the 3060 or 3050". However, THESE CARDS HAVE NOT BEEN OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED! I literally see people who want to build their PC this week and get told to wait an indefinite amount of time for something that officially, we don't know is real. Finally, considering how fast 3080 and 3090 sold out, 3060 and 3050 (cheaper cards) will sell out quicker. So yeah, we don't even know when these cards are releasing, or if they even exist, so start recommending things we know exist.

    submitted by /u/DanielTube7
    [link] [comments]

    After a really tough time in my life, I finished building my first PC.

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 09:36 PM PDT

    A little backstory that I really want to share but can't because I don't have anyone to share it with so I hope the nice people in this community would get something out of it.

    I've been wanting to build a PC for about 4 years but didn't had the budget and many people discouraged me I decided to give up on that dream. Years past and after I got a better paying job I decided to go through with the idea of building my own PC. I was really skeptical at first because once again people in my life believed it was just another dumb idea and I shouldn't spend money on it but I really wanted to build a PC and so I did. After many weeks of waiting for my parts (some of them got "lost" along the way) I've finished building my PC fully and I was extremely happy.

    Maybe a month later my apartment building caught fire and I almost lost everything. My life wasn't really great even after that happened but for a long while I truly felt like there was nothing else to live for. I thankfully saved my PC just before the roof caved in and managed to recover most of my other stuff. Now I'm in still trying to get used to the new apartment but I got my set up all ready and it truly makes me feel better. My built is mediocre at best but I get excited every time I see it and I will keep working on it until I feel like it's the best there is.

    I just want to say, that no matter what obstacles life throws your way if you really want something you should go for it. It's obviously hard and it takes patience but trust me when I say, it's truly worth and it makes you feel like you accomplished something. Thank you for letting me share :)

    Edit: My PC https://imgur.com/gallery/VE9p62z

     My specs 

    Cpu: Intel core i5-9600k

    Cpu cooler: ARCTIC freezer 34 eSports CPU cooler

    Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 aorus elite lga 1151 (300 series) intel z390 hdmi sata 6gb/s usb 3.1 atx intel motherboard

    Memory: Team T-force vulcan z 16gb

    Storage:Crucial 1TB P1 NVMe M.2 2280 Internal SSD

    Graphics card: Geforce gtx 2080 super

    Case: Liam li lancool 2

    Power Supply: Evga 210-GQ-0650-V1, 650 GQ, 80+ gold 650w

    submitted by /u/_Mafia77_
    [link] [comments]

    Any good cases that still support Optical Drives?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 07:16 AM PDT

    Been considering a gaming PC build, but every build guide I look up has cases that dont' have 5.25 bays.

    Besides gaming, I am also an avid CD collector and need an optical drive for ripping.

    Any recommendations for a good case that still has 5.25 bay(s)?

    submitted by /u/MarigoldSkye
    [link] [comments]

    is there a good budget friendly 1440p 144hz monitor?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 11:01 AM PDT

    I've been reading so many reviews on "budget friendly" 1440p monitors but I'm not too sure which one would be the best/most reliable. I've been looking at VA panels just because I'm more likely to play single player, high graphic games. I was thinking of a price range of 300-400.

    The monitors i keep seeing are the asus tuf vg27wq and aoc cq27g2u but people have been saying the aoc has bad ghosting and motion blur.

    Acer nitro is another one I've been looking into.

    i'd appreciate the help!

    submitted by /u/idkriver
    [link] [comments]

    It's an absolute pain to build a PC in a third world country.

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 06:03 PM PDT

    Seriously, i'm never doing building a P.C again in my country. I hope i can move out to Canada or U.S in a year where gaming doesnt cost a kidney.

    Edit: I live in Brazil. Building a PC here is 5,6x times the cost of what an avarage american would pay for every part individually.

    submitted by /u/PokemonAreCoolz
    [link] [comments]

    First full build complete!

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 10:52 AM PDT

    First full build!!! Manage to boot first attempt and everything. Super happy.

    https://imgur.com/gallery/XaIWcsH.

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KCmZn7

    submitted by /u/Dragon501st
    [link] [comments]

    Is it a good time to build a PC or should I hold off?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 01:20 PM PDT

    Hi there, I'm from the UK and don't have any experience at building a pc, however with a help from a mate and my brother I hope I'll be able to successfully build one (they both have built PC's before).

    I've done some research and by the sounds of it, part prices drop alot with new technology coming out often. But I've also seen that its possible that there could be some big price drops on prime day, black Friday and cyber Monday.

    So is it worth waiting or should I just bite the bullet as the wait may not be worth the price drops.

    Also with the new ps5 and xbox releases, will this affect the pc market and will be forced to drop prices to compete with these new high performing consoles?

    I'm not sure if any of this is common knowledge with PC gamers but any advice would honestly be really appreciated!

    Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/Harv207
    [link] [comments]

    Trouble in selecting a GPU (Ryzen 5 3600 | 1080p 144Hz/1440p 60Hz gaming)

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 10:55 AM PDT

    Hi folks, I am planning to build a PC and I am having trouble in selecting a GPU to pair it with my Ryzen 5 3600 processor. Mostly I am targeting for 1080p 144hz/ 1440p 60hz gaming. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/AMITSAJJAN
    [link] [comments]

    72 years later, PC advice! Thank You

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 06:40 AM PDT

    I have always had a laptop these past years and as the Virus threat made its way I got into video games. Driving first as I use to race Rallies in Europe starting the mid 60's and on to games. Games which I am not good at but truly enjoying. My mistake was to purchase a Xbox One X realizing too late that with handicapped hands it was not going to happen. I mean, I cannot even eat soup with a spoon. Then on purchasing a KB+M as Xbox does have a couple games I can use playing with them. But not enough! With hands flat on the KB and having reassigned a few keys to the mouse, well, it "kind of" works.
    I don't know anything about PCs and I don't think I am at a stage to learn from point A. I don't want to buy the wrong one, the one which is not going to perform for gaming and yet don't need to top of the line Pro unit.
    I cam across this only because someone recommended

    CyberPowerPC Tower R7 RTX 2060

    GeForce RTX 2060
    AMD Ryzen 7
    16GB Ram
    1 TB Hard Drive + 240GB SSD
    [$1000 by the way]

    The storage will not be enough I realize that. External storage maybe?

    I truly appreciate feedbacks. Thank You

    submitted by /u/totallytotal2020
    [link] [comments]

    Can we just wait?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 01:00 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I've been getting asked and have been trying to help people recently with their builds. However, it gets increasingly hard to recommend parts because of drastically fluctuating prices and availability.

    Add onto that the power issues we have seen on the new 3080 cards, the fact that the 3070 hasn't even released yet, and Zen 3 and AMD's GPU coming soon.

    Can we just tell people to wait?

    I feel like the market is insanely volatile right now and that even if we recommend a build for someone, there's no telling if the stuff will be near the price or the same stock, let alone the fact that the 3080 is the only new GPU available (if you can find one).

    I feel like it'd be best to divert users toward resources on learning different parts, how they work, how to build systems, how to read benchmarks, etc.

    Then, around November or December, we can probably start recommending builds again.

    submitted by /u/TheDarkSwordsman
    [link] [comments]

    I thought of a use for LEDs.

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 09:32 AM PDT

    If a mobo were dotted w/ temperature responsive LEDs, the resulting display could fascinatingly map the thermal situation behind the glass - like a thermal image or a kinetic weather map.

    submitted by /u/libranskeptic612
    [link] [comments]

    Please help with a graphics issue - frame drop every ~60 seconds. I am absolutely at my wits end and have spent thousands for a PC that won't work correctly.

    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 10:35 PM PDT

    I'm hoping someone here can help. I am losing my mind. Last October I built a new PC based on a lot of info I got here and some nice deals I got at the time. At the time money wasn't an issue, but things have changed and I have no more to throw at it.

    Original build:

    MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus, AMD R7 3800X, 32 GB GSkill 3600 RAM, Seasonic Gold 850W PSU, Sabrent 1TB M.2 2280 SSD, EVGA RTX 2080 TI FTW3 Ultra

    For about a month everything was fine. Then I started getting FPS drops ~ every 60 seconds. Just for a second, but enough to make anyone insane because it was not a normal fps fluctuation. It was like a mini freeze/awful momentary stutter.

    What I tried:

    -Updated BIOS

    -Cleaning drivers with DDU and rolling back to what I had when I first built the PC.

    -Reinstalling Windows 10 Ultimate cleanly and installed as little as possible beyond a couple games to test and the GPU drivers (as well at all chipset updates).

    -Tested RAM overnight with memtest86 from boot

    -Changed drive to a Samsung EVO 850 from my last PC that worked fine when I built the new one.

    -Tried multiple displays

    -Swapped out the old 1070 I had from my last PC that worked fine when I last used it.

    -RMA'd the motherboard

    All of these things and the problem still occured. EVEN ON THE OTHER GPU.

    So like a dumbass I built another system. New mobo and CPU (ASROCK Z390 TAICHI and i9 9900k CPU, with 32GB GSKILL 3200 RAM, EVGA Gold 750 PSU, another Samsung EVO 850).

    I tried both GPUs in the new machine. SAME PROBLEM.

    Finally I RMA'd the GPU based on advice from EVGA, especially as the 2080TI had developed a bad buzz.

    Got the new card. Still have the same problem.

    Off the top of my head I have also tried two separate UPSes (including the one I used with my previous, no-issue PC), and multiple circuits in the house.

    I am just completely defeated at this point. There are probably some things I tried I didn't think to list, but if anyone has any ideas, please, please help.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/utlah
    [link] [comments]

    How do I go about buying the 12 pin PSU cable from Corsair

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 10:41 AM PDT

    Planning on getting one of the ampere cards so I was wondering how do I go about buying the 12 pin cable for the 850 RMX.

    When I go to their site, it just takes me to resellers that don't carry it.

    submitted by /u/lemi69
    [link] [comments]

    RTX 3070 Build Help

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 03:19 AM PDT

    Hello everyone, this is my first pc build and was wondering if anyone could give me advice or feedback about the pc that I have set up on pcpartpicker. The GPU that I'm building around is the RTX 3070.

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/k2Cfsk

    [PCPartPicker Part List](https://pcpartpicker.com/list/k2Cfsk)

    Type|Item|Price

    :----|:----|:----

    **CPU** | [AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/QKJtt6/amd-ryzen-7-3700x-36-ghz-8-core-processor-100-100000071box) | $294.99 @ Walmart

    **CPU Cooler** | [be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/F3gzK8/be-quiet-dark-rock-pro-4-505-cfm-cpu-cooler-bk022) | $89.90 @ Amazon

    **Motherboard** | [ASRock B550M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nFhmP6/asrock-b550m-steel-legend-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b550m-steel-legend) | $139.99 @ Newegg

    **Memory** | [Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/p6RFf7/corsair-memory-cmk16gx4m2b3200c16) | $68.98 @ Amazon

    **Storage** | [Intel 320 Series 160 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/RFDwrH/intel-internal-hard-drive-ssdsa2cw160g310) |-

    **Storage** | [Samsung Spinpoint F1 DT 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Mqfp99/samsung-internal-hard-drive-hd103uj) |-

    **Case** | [Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/crqBD3/phanteks-eclipse-p300a-mesh-atx-mid-tower-case-ph-ec300atg_bk01) | $66.98 @ Newegg

    **Power Supply** | [EVGA BQ 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/xLs8TW/evga-bq-750w-80-bronze-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-110-bq-0750-v1) | $113.23 @ Amazon

    **Monitor** | [BenQ ZOWIE XL2411P 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FBYLrH/benq-zowie-xl2411p-240-1920x1080-144hz-monitor-xl2411p) | $199.00 @ Adorama

    | *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |

    | **Total** | **$973.07**

    | Generated by [PCPartPicker](https://pcpartpicker.com) 2020-09-27 06:19 EDT-0400 |

    My main focus is to get more frames and have it run smoother on competitive FPS games like Valorant/CS GO. For the storage I'm using storage from my previous PC that was given to me. Budget wise I could go up $1700.

    Any feedback and help is appreciated, thank you!

    submitted by /u/agentbrand
    [link] [comments]

    Gaming & Adobe Suite Build Check!

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 10:13 AM PDT

    Build Help/Ready:

    Have you read the sidebar and rules? (Please do)

    Yes.

    What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better.

    Adobe Suite (Premiere/LR/PS) + 1440p 144hz Gaming

    If gaming, what kind of performance are you looking for? (Screen resolution, framerate, game settings)

    1440p 144hz, Ultra

    What is your budget (ballpark is okay)?

    $3500~

    In what country are you purchasing your parts?

    US

    Post a draft of your potential build here (specific parts please). Consider formatting your parts list. Don't ask to be spoonfed a build (read the rules!).

    PCPartPicker Part List

    Type Item Price
    CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor $429.99 @ Amazon
    CPU Cooler Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $159.99 @ Amazon
    Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard $299.00 @ Amazon
    Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory $354.99 @ Amazon
    Storage Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $199.98 @ Amazon
    Video Card EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card -
    Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case $139.99 @ Newegg
    Power Supply Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $144.99 @ Best Buy
    Case Fan Corsair iCUE QL120 41.8 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack $183.95 @ Amazon
    Case Fan Corsair iCUE QL120 41.8 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack $183.95 @ Amazon
    Case Fan Corsair iCUE QL120 41.8 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack $183.95 @ Amazon
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total $2280.78
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-26 16:26 EDT-0400

    Provide any additional details you wish below.

    I'm still bouncing back and forth between Intel or AMD - I'm thinking AMD may be the better choice and the 3900x will probably be replaced with the Zen 3 equivalent.

    Also - I have not added SSDs as I will be migrating some old ones from my current PC.

    submitted by /u/arkohnn
    [link] [comments]

    Best CPU For My Current Motherboard

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 11:05 AM PDT

    Hey guys, I currently have a 6700K i7 w/ an MSI Krait Gaming 3X motherboard and 1070 graphics card.

    I use this PC for gaming of course and audio production. I've been thinking about getting a 3070 when they come out but I'm afraid my processor is probably going to be a bottleneck for it. I really don't want to upgrade my mobo just yet. I put my motherboard in on pcpartpicker and it shows the best I can do is the i7-7700.

    I must be missing something but the i7-9700 series is still socket 1151. What am I missing about my board that makes it incompatible? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/jimmy_smalls
    [link] [comments]

    Question regarding the Gigabyte B460M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1200 motherboard

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 10:55 AM PDT

    submitted by /u/mrdoolsls
    [link] [comments]

    My pc build

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 11:37 AM PDT

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wmxLV7 I need help. I already have a case and I am waiting for either the 3070 or a restock on the 3080 thank you.

    submitted by /u/Exotic_Solution3840
    [link] [comments]

    RX 6000

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 02:30 PM PDT

    Does anyone know about how much the RX 6000 series GPUs will cost? Which of the GPUs can I get for ~500 Dollars?

    submitted by /u/Gerbil_BigMacYT
    [link] [comments]

    Windows won’t update

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 11:19 AM PDT

    I can not get windows to update. It says it's up to date but it also says it's a 2004 version. How do I fix this? I have not activated windows. It also randomly keeps saying it's updating things and restarting.

    submitted by /u/Ryanryan77777777
    [link] [comments]

    Help with gpu

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 02:03 PM PDT

    I was looking to upgrade my GPU to the new 3080 card. I am new to computer gaming I am just wondering if My cpu matters when upgrading my graphics card like how your PSU needs to have a certain amount of power For your card to work properly.

    submitted by /u/Grahamk57
    [link] [comments]

    Need help in buying a monitor

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 04:30 AM PDT

    I want to upgrade my monitor from a BenQ 75Hz 1080p monitor to a1080p 144Hz monitor. My current build has -

    i5 8400

    GTX 1070 Ti

    16GB RAM

    Which monitor would you guys recommend? My budget is ~$200-$240 (INR 15000-17000)

    I am hoping that my graphics card will be able to handle to 144Hz in games like Apex. Also, what if I use dual monitor setup? Will it be too much for my card to handle?

    submitted by /u/LightTus
    [link] [comments]

    Should I go for a 3070 or a 1080ti?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 02:44 PM PDT

    I can buy a used 1080ti for €280, or I can wait for the 3070 which is €520. But I'll probably have to wait for a long time before I can get a 3070.

    submitted by /u/ebebanaan
    [link] [comments]

    What happens if your power supply doesn't have enough wattage for the parts in your rig?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 04:21 AM PDT

    I understand that it's not a good idea to buy a PSU that's cheaply made because it could literally start a fire if it's shoddy enough, but what if you get your power supply from a reputable brand, but it just doesn't handle the amount of power necessary for the parts you have in your computer? Does it just not turn on, or could it have more serious ramifications? Is the specified wattage that it's advertised as generally lower or higher than what it actually is (kinda like how hard drive space in advertising is a different metric to what the actual capacity is?)? Are you able to go slightly over the amount that your PSU can handle or, if you have, say, a 500W PSU, and your computer requires 501W, it just refuses to power on?

    submitted by /u/TheGnarlyRetard
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment