• Breaking News

    Monday, September 6, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - September 06, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - September 06, 2021


    Simple Questions - September 06, 2021

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I just wish product names made sense

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 06:50 AM PDT

    This has been, still is, and might always be my biggest challenge with pc specs: my tiny brain cannot remember (let alone understand) the names of all these parts, especially GPUs.

    This is what a typical specs discussion looks like to me:

    "What are the minimum specs I should be looking for?"

    "You should have an AMD AssCheek-RX E-9972-Delta 6+6+2 Super DualCore HyperProcessor Giga Power Drive 82"

    "I have an AMD ShitFart-DX P-9983-Delta 8+8 Mega QuadCore SuperProcessor Giga Power Drive RGB-X 46 Version 7.4 is that good enough?"

    "No, obviously it's not, idiot"

    submitted by /u/ScaraCross
    [link] [comments]

    Best value for money graphics card for gaming at 144hz@1440p ultra settings?

    Posted: 05 Sep 2021 03:27 PM PDT

    Hi everyone!

    Could you please suggest best value for money graphics card which could run most modern titles 144hz@1440p ultra settings consistently?

    My main goal is to play rdr2.

    I'm in no hurry to build the rig yet and want to squeeze as much value as possible. Aim is to build by Christmas.

    My budget is $500-700.

    Also is there a chance of getting new gen graphic cards in Q1 2022 which could be better value for money?

    submitted by /u/KroosKontroller
    [link] [comments]

    Do people still keep OS and Games on seperate drives?

    Posted: 05 Sep 2021 04:01 PM PDT

    Im use to building computers where the OS is on one drive (usually the fastest) while games and programs are contained on another. I have memories of this actually making a bit of a performance difference but that could be placebo.

    With the rise of fast PCI Gen 4 SSDs, is this still recommended protocol? Or is it fine just to buy a single 1TB SSD and run everything off that?

    submitted by /u/NatFromNomad
    [link] [comments]

    Are Asrock motherboards bad? My friend keeps saying i have an asscrack pc

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 02:58 AM PDT

    Just because the board is an asrock z590 pro4. And has had a bios update for ever single month this year where other boards have had only 3 bios updates

    Also my pc keeps crashing when i try to game and everything spec wise and test wise seems good. The only thing not tried is updating the bios but basically ive been told is if i get a power outage while doing it im gonna fry my entire pc and no warranty will cover anything?

    submitted by /u/Splatulated
    [link] [comments]

    gf finished building her PC today, having trouble with booting. we have a CPU led near the 24 pin

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 11:13 AM PDT

    msi 570 unify, amd 3800x, asus tuf 6800xt, evga psu, crucial ballistix ram. mobo gives 00 debug code. all fans and rgb turn on. no signal goes to monitor from hdmi or DP cable/port. it kind of sucks cause we were able to buy her last parts last week.

    tried clear cmos button. we flashed the bios to latest. i undid the pump, and reseated the CPU. i checked while i had CPU in my hand if any pins were bent. everything was neat. CPU droped into the socket no problem. lever snapped in place no problem too. all the connectors to psu are pushed in properly. everything is where it should be. i tried 1 stick of ram, didnt change anything, switched to other stick of ram, nothing.

    is this just a DOA CPU? should i RMA? kind of heartbroken, she was so excited, it's her first PC and she did a really good job building it.

    we are on holiday today (labor day). so im trying reddit to see if any of you good people have an idea.

    submitted by /u/RngdZ
    [link] [comments]

    Using ethernet cable on a mobo with a built in wifi.

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 04:15 AM PDT

    This may sound dumb to most of you but I'm just wondering if is it okay to use an ethernet cable without any issue even if the mobo that I will use already has a built in wifi? Because I've read a lot from other users who have a built in wifi in their mobo and most of them are complaining how bad the built in wifi is. Or If I wouldn't be able to use an ethernet cable what could y'all suggest?

    Mobo: MPG B550 Gaming Edge WIFI

    submitted by /u/verybadteethh
    [link] [comments]

    Intel: I7 vs I5

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 07:33 AM PDT

    I'm looking to buy a new processor and the choice, however complex, at the moment is between the i7 11700k and the I5 11600k. Now I know the two are very similar from a performance point of view, but is it actually worth buying an i5 rather than an i7? Especially taking into account a use not only limited to gaming, but also in video editing, 3d and Graphic Design in general.

    submitted by /u/Beleth_Thynemenos
    [link] [comments]

    Is the Samsung Odyssey G9 Curved Gaming Monitor worth it?

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 12:33 PM PDT

    In what order should I invest in peripherals 'outside' of the PC ?

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 05:56 AM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    I'm about to build my PC and bought all the components (just lacking the CPU cooler but it may not be long).

    Now that I've spent my savings on my PC, I am a bit short on savings and might prioritize my next purchases.

    I was wondering if you had recommendations on what to buy first and in what order ?

    My current setup is quite "simple" and made only of stuff I used for working from home (home office) :

    • Corsair K55 keyboard I have since a year + a simple logitech keyboard

    • Logitech M705 mouse

    • 24" Dell P2419H that is given by my company (I must give it back once I leave the company so no way to get rid of it). Not good for gaming I imagine ?

    • A Logitech webcam that is okay for what I need (Microsoft Teams mainly, I won't be streaming or anything)

    • An Hyper X Cloud 2 headset I used with my PS4 (is more than 3 years old now)

    • Edit because I forgot to mention : Office chair which is great and comfy, Ikea desk which I'm happy with and I will buy an Alex drawer unit to put my PC, next to my desk, on as I prefer it not to be on the ground (even though I have hardwood floor).

    So for now there is no real rush to buy something so I'll start saving but what do I need to save for first ?

    My PC will run with a Ryzen 5 5600X and a RTX 3070 FE

    Thanks,

    submitted by /u/Folivao
    [link] [comments]

    How straight do LGA1151 CPU pins need to be?

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 11:59 AM PDT

    I got a free motherboard today, but some of the CPU pins were mangled. None of them were missing, so I bent them back as well as I can. They are not totally straight but they are pretty straight. How straight do they need to be?

    submitted by /u/Volvo_264
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to use a VGA to HDMI port converter to connect my VGA monitor to my GPU ?

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 05:50 AM PDT

    Clueless girl here trynna upgrade her pc

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 05:09 AM PDT

    I bought a prebuilt pc in 2017 and since I've had it it has become very slow, it takes like 10 minutes to start up and open chrome, which even runs slow. Most games are also very laggy and I get low frame rates. I'm sure this is partly because it's needing a clean as I haven't in a while as haven't sided it for about a year but I'm thinking that it's time to give her an upgrade. I don't know nothing about building though.

    I would like to spend around 500$ NZD max

    It would ideally run games like overwatch, Valoran, and story based games like Detroit only human and life is strange smoothly.

    I also do a lot of editing so it would be great if it could handle premiere pro and other editing softwares.

    If anyone could direct me as to what parts or things I should change / purchase it would be much appreciate. Thanks so much!

    Current PC:

    ASUS GeForce GTX 1050 OC Expedition Edition 2GB Graphics Card

    2×4GB Apacer Commando 2133MHz DDR4 Gaming RAM

    Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz 3MB CPU

    1TB WD Blue Hard Drive

    Asus H110M-A/M.2 Intel H110 Motherboard

    500W Be Quiet! Pure Power 10 Power Supply

    Silverstone Precision Series PS14 Gaming Chassis

    TP-LINK TL-WN881ND 300Mbps Wireless NPCI Adapter

    Microsoft Windows 10 64bit

    submitted by /u/spring0ni0n
    [link] [comments]

    Is this deal worth it?

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 10:27 AM PDT

    $630 for a rtx 3080 FTW3 10GB, working well pretty much new with warranty

    submitted by /u/Charming-Respond-395
    [link] [comments]

    Thinking about getting a DL360 G7 for Blender render server...

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 11:57 AM PDT

    Recently I saw that Amazon had several HP ProLiant DL360 G7 units for pretty decent price, and I was wondering how I would go about setting up Linux virtualization for the use as local Blender render nodes. What would be some tips or recommendations yall have for me? This will be my first attempt at virtualization of any kind, especially virtualization for the use of render nodes. The DL360 G7 units im looking at has 2x Xeon X5650, 32gb PC3-10600R ram, and 8x 146gb sas hdds, a P410i Raid card, and 4x gigabit NICs... What software or OS would yall recommend, tutorials are welcome...

    submitted by /u/GameDev_Alchemist
    [link] [comments]

    Is the Fractal Design Meshify C worth it at $65?

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 01:39 PM PDT

    I have someone offer me the version with tinted glass, brand new in box for $65 shipped. I'm currently in the market for a new PC case with good ventilation. I wonder if it's worth the price. I wonder if it's easy to break tempered glass. That's my main concern.

    submitted by /u/yukinara
    [link] [comments]

    Is intel onboard graphics max resolution restricted by motherboard?

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 09:48 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I have an intel core i7 11700, using just the integrated UHD 750 graphics running on an Asus b560m-a motherboard. I don't do much gaming, just coding but I wanted my setup to last a while. I'm looking at buying a 5k2k ultrawide monitor, and I've run into a possible compatibility snare.

    Intel states that 11th gen cpu max res is 5k@60hz via dp 1.4. Meanwhile, Asus website says max resolution is just over 4k@60hz, again via dp 1.4, but with a vague hint about checking intel for info. Historically, motherboard vendors have been terrible imho about keeping specs up to date in these situations, so I don't know what to believe.

    So for a DP 1.4 connection to the motherboard's DP port (so no hdmi limitations), is the maximum resolution governed by the motherboard, or the iGPU on the CPU?

    submitted by /u/sandr0id
    [link] [comments]

    I dont know if this is the best community to ask this in, but I built two desktops gaming rigs, and now am going to sell one of them. Would it be better to sell it as parts, or all together as a whole? (Parts list below)

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 01:31 PM PDT

    For reference, the part list is as follows:

    MSI B450M pro-max motherboard

    AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core, 12-Thread processor

    EVGA Geforce GTX 1070

    16GB Ram

    500 GB SSD

    CX 650M power supply

    if i missed anything let me know.

    I'm just trying to figure out if its best to sell it as a whole, or individual parts. Any advice would be helpful.

    submitted by /u/theknights-whosay-Ni
    [link] [comments]

    New Build is very slow/freezes

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 01:30 PM PDT

    Hey, first post on this sub. Built my new PC over the weekend but it's super laggy and freezes even when I'm on the home screen with no background applications. Ive installed the latest driver for my GPU and CPU but im not sure if the cause is a missing part or if I may have skipped a step when setting everything up.

    specs: intel core i7

    cryorg h7 49 CFM

    Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2666 CL16 Memory

    Seagate 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 

    MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB DUKE Video Card

    Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

    Sorry for the lack of knowledge/info, any help would be greatly appreciated!!

    submitted by /u/ZellyXansen
    [link] [comments]

    Help with ssd replacement parts

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 01:30 PM PDT

    I have some Samsung 850 evo SSDs but they don't have the case on them so they are bare PCBs. Where can I buy replacement cases or will they be OK to just use bare?

    submitted by /u/Novascire
    [link] [comments]

    Just wondering how this build will hold up

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 01:26 PM PDT

    So the time is finally there for me to build my first pc and I think i've got a nice build, but I was hoping someone could give some insights as to how this pc will hold up over the next couple of years.

    Some additional things first: I don't need to play every game at max settings, cause that would mean going over budget. Also, I bought a cheap gpu that can hopefully get me by a few years so I can upgrade when prices drop.

    GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 1060 Gaming X CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Motherboard: gigabyte Aorus B550 Elite v2 SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 gb (2x8 gb) Power supply: Corsair RM650 Case: be quiet! Pure base 500

    This will keep me easily within my 1k budget, but I'm just wondering how this will hold up over the coming years!

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/djapresjetski
    [link] [comments]

    My computer won't restart without shutting power supply off and on, please help?

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 01:26 PM PDT

    Hey everyone. Having some trouble with my build. Every time I restart my computer, I get no signal from my PC to my monitor unless I shut off and turn on the power supply from its source. What could be the issue here? My specs for reference: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bWTPPV

    Any assistance would be helpful, thanks a lot.

    submitted by /u/itsjustkevinv
    [link] [comments]

    5950x on x570 Aorus Master: Stopped working and wont POST

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 02:30 AM PDT

    I recently built two systems with same configurations, PCPartpicker list here. Its 5950x on x570 Aorus Master, with RTX 3090. Initially everything went fine. Updated the bios before installing any parts. One cpu was lightly dropped on the table and a pin was bent. Managed to fix that and the CPU was properly seated. Went ahead with the installations, system POSTed just fine, got the OS installed and then after a day of use, while I was away, the system shut down and would not POST anymore.

    The MoBo goes through the initialization, debug light on CPU, then DRAM and finally on VGA where it gets stuck. The debug code on the MoBo is A0, which translates to "IDE initialization started" as per gigabytes manual. Not sure what to make of that. On video output, the Aorus splash screen shown up on the monitor, but absolutely nothing happens afterwards. All keyboard inputs are ignored, I cannot get into the bios no matter what. Also, the keyboard itself does not seem to respond, ie the caps lock key does not light up the corresponding light.

    Here is an imgur link with photos and videos of the booting process: https://imgur.com/a/i6Cg7v6

    Initially I suspected the GPU because the light is stuck on VGA but I have managed to rule out the GPU. because I built two such systems (one of which works just fine), I swapped the GPU to verify that the GPU works just fine. I have tried the following things with no avail:

    • Re-flashed Bios
    • Cleared CMOS
    • Disconnected all peripherals
    • Took out the M.2 SSD. This changed the debug code on the MoBo to 92, but still no post
    • Tightened/Loosened the CPU heatsink
    • Removed the GPU altogether

    I did not swap or take out any RAM sticks because I dont think they are causing it. At this point I think it is the CPU that is bad. I a trying to get hold of another CPU to test it.

    So, PC builders of Reddit, what do you think is the problem here? Any suggestions?

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/the0ne_1
    [link] [comments]

    Can I connect my AIO fans to the same header as my case fans?

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 11:11 AM PDT

    Hey r/buildapc!! I just completed my first solo PC build (woo!) and had a question about my fans. I have a Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO cooler, as well as 3 Lian Li ST-120 ARGB case fans. The case fans came with (what I am calling) a splitter to connect another 3 fans for a total of 6 fans (to have all 6 just connected to one fan header on the mobo). I only have 3 regular case fans at the moment, and the 3 fans that are on my AIO which are identical to the case fans.

    My question is - can I connect all of the fans to that splitter for the 6 fans and then connect them all to the AIO pump fan header? The main reason I want to do this is because I want to connect the ARGB cables of all of the fans to the RGB sync on the mobo (AsRock Steel Legend X570), so I don't have to manually change the fan colors. If I can't do this, is there another way to do it? I know the AIO pump head is there to specifically have the fans be running at 100% all the time. I don't know if this will cause any problems if I connect all the fans to that header?

    Also... another question, still fan related - is it possible to take apart my fans and physically flip the fan blades so that I can have the face forward, but still have the fans be outtake?

    Thanks in advance for any help!!

    submitted by /u/fmlwhy29
    [link] [comments]

    Air compressor for cleaning PC vs compressed air cans

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 11:09 AM PDT

    I recently came across air compressor blowers for cleaning out PCs. You can Google the datavac for a basic idea of what I'm talking about. I've had a hard time finding a consensus on them.

    Are they effective for cleaning PCs?

    And are they safe to use on PCs?

    I'm convinced I clean my own PC and others that it would be cost effective vs the cans.

    submitted by /u/LayersAndFinesse
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment