• Breaking News

    Friday, August 6, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - August 06, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - August 06, 2021


    Simple Questions - August 06, 2021

    Posted: 06 Aug 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    How to get 2pin to 4pin?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2021 07:27 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    https://imgur.com/a/uqb40ry

    Please check these photos. The pins on the pcb have 2pins. I have a 2 pin 120mm fan that comes with it but it can only go full power and it sounds horrible.

    I want to put a Noctua fan with the low noise adapter but that one is 4 pins. Does an adapter exist? I cannot find it online, any knows?

    submitted by /u/Danacy
    [link] [comments]

    Would you recommend a standing desk for a student?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2021 12:35 PM PDT

    It's my first year in college and I just moved to our new flat for this school year. I thought about buying a desk for my part-time job/home base and for classes that will be conducted at home. I'm not quite sure if it's worth it. Any opinions on this one please?

    submitted by /u/Diligent-Relative-65
    [link] [comments]

    3060 ti or 3070

    Posted: 06 Aug 2021 09:57 AM PDT

    Hello, fellow redditors!

    So I was wondering which one to pick. I'm gonna be pairing it with Ryzen 5 5600x on msi mpg b550i gaming edge wifi. I want to play mostly fps games like r6, valorant and mix in something like witcher.

    Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Psychopathman
    [link] [comments]

    Was lucky and won the shuffle. Is my PSU up the the task?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2021 10:00 AM PDT

    Super hype and was a super hard decision to blow all the money, but I was lucky enough to pull this bad boy out of the shuffle:

    ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 x16 Video Card ROG-STRIX-LC-RTX3080TI-O12G-GAMING https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-rog-strix-lc-rtx3080ti-o12g-gaming/p/N82E16814126517?Item=N82E16814126517&Source=socialshare&cm_mmc=snc-social-_-sr-_-14-126-517-_-08062021

    It reccomends a 850w psu on Newegg specs. I have minimal case fans, no rgb, and a "be quiet." heat sink on my CPU.

    My current PSU is this 750w:

    Segotep 750W Power Supply 80 Plus Gold Certified ATX Gaming PSU Fully Modular with 140mm Smart Fan https://www.newegg.com/segotep-gp-series-750w-fully-modular/p/1HU-00Z0-00006?Item=9SIAM7KB3V6504&Source=socialshare&cm_mmc=snc-social-_-sr-_-9SIAM7KB3V6504-_-08062021

    Am I all good, should I wait and see(the advice of a friend), or should I get one in the cart RIGHT NOW!!!

    I am so hypes for this, don't hold back. Budget for a new one is ideally <200usd, but tell me if that is unrealistic or I should go for a fancy titanium ect.

    submitted by /u/mombawamba
    [link] [comments]

    650 watt good enough for Ryzen 3600 and RTX 2080 Ti?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2021 10:29 PM PDT

    What ram could I use

    Posted: 06 Aug 2021 10:36 AM PDT

    I have a cyber power gamer master pc to get me started in pc gaming I want to upgrade my ram I want to know which I could use and buy Specs Ryzen 3 Rx 570 1tb hdd 240gb ssd 8 gigs ram

    submitted by /u/Appropriate-Series15
    [link] [comments]

    Is APU the right way to go for a budget build?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2021 09:00 AM PDT

    I have always used consoles and have never owned a PC. I am making a shift but have a low budget to begin with. So I was wondering are APUs the right decision? I was thinking about the Ryzen 5 3400g, or should I cheap out on other things for a dedicated gpu? Or any other APU that you can suggest.

    submitted by /u/DexterWeed
    [link] [comments]

    Does a i5-8600k support memory other than 2666mhz?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2021 12:10 PM PDT

    I ordered one and its on the way. Intel Ark lists memory types as DDR4-2666. Are they just listing the highest frequency supported or is 2666 my only option? TIA

    submitted by /u/teach_me_about_NBA
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on 90 degree pin adapters for PSU cables?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2021 08:51 AM PDT

    I was thinking of adding some adapters to my build to make cable management easier, especially since my cables kind of get in the way of airflow.

    Has anyone used these adapters? Are they reliable?

    submitted by /u/goodguymod
    [link] [comments]

    Question regarding monitors.

    Posted: 06 Aug 2021 10:21 AM PDT

    So I currently have a laptop and the monitor is 1366*768 pixels. I don't have that much desk space and want to get a second monitor. Should I get another 18.5 inch monitor or should I get something bigger and use the laptop as a second monitor?

    submitted by /u/Neppkun
    [link] [comments]

    Best IPS 144Hz under $200?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2021 12:05 PM PDT

    I'm looking at the AOC 24G2, LG 24GN650-B 24", Gigabyte M27F. I'm curious about VA Panels. Are they close to IPS in terms of color reproduction? I was thinking of getting Dell S2721HGF or Asus VG248QG how good are these according to IPS standards?

    submitted by /u/depressednunu
    [link] [comments]

    These Are My Specs If There's Anything Wrong plz tell me

    Posted: 06 Aug 2021 02:08 AM PDT

    These Are My Specs If There's Anything Wrong plz tell me https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qs6M9N

    submitted by /u/SecondThoughts-_-
    [link] [comments]

    Building a gaming PC for someone, need some advise. v2

    Posted: 06 Aug 2021 06:54 AM PDT

    Hi, I am building a PC for someone that will mainly use it for for gaming and using graphics programs like Photoshop and drawing.

    I build this one https://www.alternate.be//html/configurator/builder/loadSharedConfiguration.html?kind=pcBuilder&id=f02342360e751e176290edcf06255209

    But I like some input from people who actually know what they are doing, because I am for sure not an expert. I am hoping this PC will run games for the next 5 years or so?

    I already posted about 10 days ago and people told me there were no obvious flaws but I made some changes according to the recommendations are there parts I could exchange to make improvements in the same price range? Maybe I should wait a bit (not to long) for new versions/parts to come out?

    Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    Edit:

    This website also has premade PC's I could buy but I am a bit worried about the cooling. (these are in my price range.)

    https://www.alternate.be/ALTERNATE/Gamer-RED-Pro-RX-6800-gaming-pc/html/product/1707126

    https://www.alternate.be/ALTERNATE/Gamer-RED-Starter-RX-6700-XT-gaming-pc/html/product/1735646

    Is it worth buying these instead?

    submitted by /u/Skallywagwindorr
    [link] [comments]

    I feel old and slow

    Posted: 05 Aug 2021 08:00 PM PDT

    I'm sure this won't get much visibility, but who cares. It's kinda more a vent to write it out than anything.

    I've built plenty of PCs in my time but haven't done anything in over a decade.

    My current rig is stretched well past its expiration date and I've got plenty for a new system, so I figured "what the hell, why not?".

    I recently specced out a new system and ordered all the parts. Got some decent help in another thread and poking around at some of the stuff floating around here, so thanks for that ya'll.

    The rest should be here by Saturday, but most of it showed up today, sans CPU and heatsink.

    I figured there wasn't much point in doing much of anything since the CPU is pretty early in a new build, but then I cracked the manual for the mobo and jesus christ...

    About all I really got done today was figuring out how to disassemble the transformer of a case and install a few fans, multiple times, because I'm an idiot and didn't understand that watercooler radiators are common thing now. Spent way too long learning how to do airflow again. But, after much hardship and feeling like the boomer that I am not, I got airflow squared away, the PSU installed (figuring out which way is up and how to attach the faceplate was a pain and made me feel incredibly stupid, Corsair your instructions are shit and you owe me some screws), did some pre-install on the mobo (RAM and M2 or whatever the hell it is SSD, jesus that thing is insane 1 TB on this dinky lil chip). Did what cable management I can, now it's time to wait on the CPU, I hope that goes better than this build has been so far. What could possibly have changed? Drop it in and latch it down, thermal past, secure the heatsink and boom, should be done. I hope it goes that easy.

    I feel like the rest of the actual hardware install will go pretty smoothly, but I'm dreading the BIOS setup. Scrolling through everything and having to google every little setting I have no idea what it is. Once I get a boot into windows things should settle out and I'll have my confidence back, but it's been humbling so far. That, and holy shit have they made some nice QoL improvements to old problems. Things I'm used to having to rig a solution for have like 5 optional setups now and the hard part is figuring out which one is correct for what you're doing. But it's been far less knucklebusting than I anticipated.

    Anyway, I can dredge up specs if anyone cares or has questions, I just needed to get some of the frustration out.

    My back hurts, my feet hurt and I need a beer.

    submitted by /u/ronnielaw
    [link] [comments]

    3080 Causing Heating Issues

    Posted: 06 Aug 2021 01:30 PM PDT

    I just finished my first build in 15 years - man it felt good to get her done.

    Of course, I ran into some issues - I had originally gotten a RX6800 XT which ended up being faulty. I had MicroCenter run a diagnostic (I had paid for the replacement plan) and got upgraded to an EVGA 3080 TI FTW3. This thing is a beast, but now I'm having heat issues. I tried running WARZONE and the temps were in the high 70s, sometimes spiking into the low/mid 80s.

    For cooling I'm running a NOCTUA NH-12S 55 CFM CPU cooler, which I guess isn't going to cut it. Case is cooled by 6 Corsair LL120 fans. Any recommendation on cooling the CPU?

    Do I need to go with an AIO, or double up on the Noctuas? Any other recommendations?

    So I left out some key details - I have a Corsair iCUE 4000X, my CPU is a Ryzen 7 5800X. The CPU temps are what have been higher than usual since the 3080 install.

    submitted by /u/qbansamurai
    [link] [comments]

    6700XT at 700$ vs 3070 ti at 860$ Final decision, I've been thinking about this for 2 days the cards will go out of stock at this rate. Which one would you buy?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2021 11:56 AM PDT

    I wanted the 3070 ti but the vram is a big concern for me, I will be gaming in 1440p with a 144hz monitor Will the vram speed save it? What do you think?

    submitted by /u/dragonrage420blazeit
    [link] [comments]

    Rate this newbie build.

    Posted: 06 Aug 2021 09:04 AM PDT

    Hey all, first time setting up a gaming pc because I hate myself and want to overspend money.

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QyMnxc

    So my idea with all this was a gaming PC that will run basically anything at 1080p and some of the higher end stuff with maybe lower visuals.

    Most of my gaming has been on a laptop, so I've been limited to lower spec games (Celeste, stardew valley, factorio, with genshin impact being the upper end of what I could run) and honestly I don't see myself getting into triple a tittles too much.

    My plan was to just eat the high cost of a 3060 second hand and try to get a "good" deal for around 700 then buy the stuff listed above.

    I figure that would last me quite a while for my casual gaming needs, which is ultimately what I'm going for.

    Any reccomendations or roasts welcome, I'm just kinda starting to get my head around all this stuff, thanks.

    submitted by /u/Useful-Cell4272
    [link] [comments]

    Does ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING have wifi?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2021 10:01 AM PDT

    I would pair this motherboard with Ryzen 7 3700x, but I don't know if this motherboard has wifi, because there isn't a LAN cable in my room.

    submitted by /u/LaMonkeee
    [link] [comments]

    A PC to run FF14 well

    Posted: 06 Aug 2021 12:19 PM PDT

    Hi all, So i'm gonna start this off with, I have zero clue about PC's so realistically I don't even know if what I want to achieve is achievable but here goes

    Could someone recommend me a PC that will run FF14 at pretty high settings, (doesn't have to be top top level) but don't want it to run like a potato when using stuff like gshade.

    Due to my set up I realistically want to connect it to my TV rather than getting a monitor as I'm more of a sofa/controller gamer

    Lastly i'm in the UK incase anyone could suggest links to PC's

    Honestly I have no idea what I should be looking to spend here, so any advice is welcome or feel free to drop me a message if have questions, thanks

    submitted by /u/Finn_H93
    [link] [comments]

    PC not working AGAIN

    Posted: 06 Aug 2021 02:31 PM PDT

    My pc wasn't working (rgb came on and fans spun but no post and ezdbug led on cpu) and I was told to upgrade the motherboard to fix it by many people but it didn't fix it

    I took it to a reapir shop and they upgarded my cpu and another motherboard and then the pc worked booted up like normal but I had terrible performance when I tried to run minecract (like worlds wouldn't load)

    Then my pc just stopped working again,it did the exact same thing like how it did at the start before I took it to the repair shop

    Pc specs Rx570 8gb Ryzen 5 2600 8gb ram 2440hz Cv540 480gb crucail ssd

    Windows 11 (I was on windows 11 (offical from Microsoft for like 2 weeks everything was running normal)

    submitted by /u/GhastlyGuy123
    [link] [comments]

    First build, any tips?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2021 02:30 PM PDT

    Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GTgL3Z

    This will be my first time building a pc and i just want some outside opinion on the build.

    I plan on using it for at least 4 years if possible. I will be upgrading to a 3060ti/3070 when the prices drop.

    The pc will be used for gaming and possibe vr in the future.

    submitted by /u/HeavyGuy75
    [link] [comments]

    Wanted to buy a secondhand PC, is this a good deal?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2021 02:21 PM PDT

    So I currently own a console but want to branch out to PC gaming as it offers a lot of different options and better deals. I currently own a PS4 Pro and am wanting something that'll at least match the power of that. I found a PC on marketplace that's $400 with the following specs:

    Intel i7 3770 with hyper 212 evo RGB

    GTX 1060 3 gig

    16 gb RAM

    250 gig SSD

    2tb hard drive

    500 Watt power supply

    Is this a good deal and how does it compare to a PS4 Pro? Bargaining for a lower price isn't an option so I just wanted some insight. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/wujaduja
    [link] [comments]

    Feedback on potential build for a 3080

    Posted: 06 Aug 2021 12:00 PM PDT

    Hi y'all,

    Signed up for the EVGA notif queue last fall and forgot about it completely until I got an email a few days ago, and now I finally have a 3080 and can begin my new build! Looking for any feedback, advice, or potential issues with the build I've put together with the help of some more knowledgeable individuals. Parts will be purchased within the US.

    PCPP Link: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tWtVVc

    Parts List:

    • Intel i9-108-50k 3.6 GHz 10-Core Processor

    • Be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler

    • MSI MPG Z490 gaming edge wifi ATX LGA1200 Motherboard

    • G.Skill Trident Z RGB (2 x16GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory

    • Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

    • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card

    • Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case

    • Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

    • be quiet! Silent Wings 3 50.5 CFM 120 mm Fan (x4)

    • Cooler Master ELV8 Addressable RGB Vertical Universal Graphic Card Holder

    Build Use: Primarily high resolution gaming, along with various art programs. Potential for light 3d work in the future. Goal is to not have to consider upgrades for about 5-7 years and be fairly hands-off once the build is complete. Already own 2 monitors, one 3840x2160 (primary) and one 1080x1920 (secondary).

    Additional info:

    • Preference for air cooling over AIO

    • No major preference towards or against RGB parts

    • Don't necessarily need wifi in the Motherboard, the one I settled on just happens to have it.

    • Second build I've done, however the previous (my current computer) was built in 2015 so I have lost nearly all knowledge since then.

    I appreciate any feedback or critiques! Looking forward to jumping from a 970 to a 3080 :D

    submitted by /u/AlaraxiaArt
    [link] [comments]

    Pc shut down when CPU reach 82°

    Posted: 06 Aug 2021 05:26 AM PDT

    Hey guys, i recently finish my setup. When i use it for work its fine but when im playing games it shut down. I did a heaven benchmark for the GPU and everything went fine. But when i did the Cinebench for the CPU when the temperature reach 81 or 82 it shut down. Its like 2 min after start. Yesterday i replace thermalpaste, and did again the cinebench, it work perfectly the 9 minutes of the benchmark. in the afternoon i was playing again and again shut down.

    sorry about my english im from Argentina.

    PC components

    Ryzen 7 3800x

    2x8 3200hz Corsair Vengeance

    x570 Asus prime p

    Evga 700 br

    evga 3070

    submitted by /u/loschico_
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment