• Breaking News

    Thursday, July 1, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - July 01, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - July 01, 2021


    Simple Questions - July 01, 2021

    Posted: 01 Jul 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Won the Shuffle on Tue! Finally got my white GPU to finish my build.

    Posted: 01 Jul 2021 10:22 AM PDT

    Never give up hope boys. Love you all.

    Pictures

    submitted by /u/PrinterStand
    [link] [comments]

    Do you guys recommend water cooled or air cooled?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2021 06:00 AM PDT

    I really wanna know which is more efficient. I could care less about the cost. I'm curious.

    submitted by /u/mlg_houdini
    [link] [comments]

    Is the RTX 2060 good for max / balanced settings at 1080p?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2021 02:48 AM PDT

    Hey, looking at upgrading my gtx 1050 ti and one if the cards that I am looking at is the 2060. Is this card good for high settings (or medium in some games) in modern games? And will it be able to maintain 60+ fps?

    Also, what is the raytracing like on this card and is the price gap between this and the rtx 2070 worth it?

    submitted by /u/Armour111
    [link] [comments]

    My parents want me to build them a computer. All they do is browse the internet.

    Posted: 01 Jul 2021 01:41 PM PDT

    They've been using a prebuilt Dell from 2007. I know a lot about hi-end gaming pcs but next to nothing about good quality low-end stuff. I'm waiting for a reply back on what the model number is on their old computer. I'd like it to be on par or better. They're used to a desktop form-factor.

    Would prebuilt be the way to go? It just has to run Windows 10 and Google chrome.

    Edit: I probably should have read the rules. Sorry if this goes against rule 2.

    Edit 2: Well, never mind. They ran out and bought a used computer from a local guy for $200. Windows 7... I've tried tell them they can get a new computer the same price but all I got was, "The guy we got it from works on computers for a living. Thanks."

    submitted by /u/timeslider
    [link] [comments]

    I'm 13 and managed to get myself a 3060 for £540. I wanted to get a 3070 but I saw a 3060 for a decent price so I got it soo excited ��

    Posted: 01 Jul 2021 03:19 PM PDT

    Is paying 1800 for a NVIDIA 3080 ti FE worth it?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2021 01:46 PM PDT

    I've been sitting on an MSI mech 8GB graphics card for a while now and I have enough extra funds to upgrade. The GPU prices are wellllllll above what I'd normally consider paying but with the silicon shortage, tariffs, and scalper bot epidemic I don't see being able to get one at MSRP in the near future. Do I just bite the bullet?

    submitted by /u/FortyAndTheSeven
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen 7 5800X + NVIDIA 3080 or Ryzen 9 5900X + Nvidia 3060 TI

    Posted: 01 Jul 2021 11:23 AM PDT

    I have narrowed my search down to these two options because I'm on a budget, what I'll be doing with this pc is:

    • Gaming
    • 3D Rendering
    • Video Editing
    • Photo Editing

    Which is the right choice for me?

    submitted by /u/Significant_Shape267
    [link] [comments]

    Getting a 1650 super for free basically what to do next .

    Posted: 30 Jun 2021 11:45 PM PDT

    Ok so this will be my first hands on dabbling with pcs. My dad got a new PC but he said I can have the card inside of it a 1650 super . He went and bought a new desktop and he doesn't need the graphics card . It will be fine on his end when I pull it out right ? I mean the card just powers the graphics and nothing else . And he can just use on board graphics ? Am I correct ? Can I just pull it and switch to onboard graphics and be just fine ,so I can have his card . If I can what would be a good pairing for it ?

    submitted by /u/willster96
    [link] [comments]

    Is it necessary to unplug my SATA drive before installing windows?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2021 03:42 AM PDT

    Im a huge beginner when it comes with PCs so bare with me.

    Recently I bought a prebuilt (cba to hunt for a gpu) and it literally arrived around an hour ago - works fine and booted into BIOS.

    i already have a USB stick with windows 10 installation media on it, but just to be safe, I watched youtube tutorials (more specifically JayzTwoCentz). him and a few others stressed that you should unplug your HDD before putting in the usb stick.

    Thing is he had some sort of plug go into his HDD and i had nothing like that. In BIOS it still appears as connected in so im assuming its actually there tho lol.

    Do i really need to unplug it? If so, how?

    submitted by /u/Grimdemo
    [link] [comments]

    USB C to USB C transfer speeds on PC super slow? Isn't USB C supposed to be 10gbps ?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2021 04:09 PM PDT

    So I'm trying to transfer data from my phone to my PC.

    My new PC (Asus dark hero viii) has a USB C port.

    I'm using USB C to USB c cable.

    Transferring a 50 gb file it says it's going to take over 30 minutes?

    Isn't it supposed to be 10gbps ? Which is around 1000 Mbps ?

    Am I doing something wrong?

    submitted by /u/Flat_Earth_Eric
    [link] [comments]

    Why is the Ryzen 7 3700X so popular right now?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2021 03:58 PM PDT

    I like to help people with their builds, and I've noticed that a lot of people have been picking the Ryzen 7 3700X recently. Anybody have any idea why it's so popular right now?

    Gaming is the primary focus of the majority of the builds on this subreddit from what I have seen. Yet when playing at 1080p, you can get a faster CPU for gaming for either cheaper, like the Intel 10400, Intel 11400, or Intel 10600K for under $200 USD, or you can get the Ryzen 5 5600X for $290 for a little cheaper than the Ryzen 3700X for a decent bit more performance.

    These performance differences do shrink at higher resolutions, making the cheaper Intel CPUs even more valuable.

    Now the Ryzen 7 3700X is a great budget production CPU, like for CPU rendering, Adobe Premier Pro editing, or code compiling. Just gaming isn't where it shines.

    1080p gaming performance comparisons source: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i5-11400f/16.html

    USA CPU pricing: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu/#F=88,97,79,96&sort=price&C=6,64&s=60,59,12,13&X=0,456502

    (Other countries do have other pricing, though I have seen the parts generally line up the same in other markets.)

    submitted by /u/MosesBarbacus
    [link] [comments]

    Lucked into a 5950x at MSRP from Amazon, but not ready to do the build. How can I check that it's legit/not defective before my return window closes.

    Posted: 01 Jul 2021 02:14 PM PDT

    I'm in the middle of a move and patiently waiting for a 3080 before starting my new build, but when I got the chance to buy a 5950x at retail price I couldn't pass it up. Now it's just sitting on my desk unopened and collecting dust.

    Should I do something to test it before the return window closes? Is it better just to trust that it's legit and keep it sealed to avoid the risk of damaging it in the move?

    Thanks in advance for your help!

    submitted by /u/theforseriousness
    [link] [comments]

    $500 USD. Good price to pay for 3060?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2021 01:58 PM PDT

    I have an opportunity to buy a MSI Gaming X 3060 for $500 USD. I'm wondering if I should wait to get a 3070 for that price or take it.

    submitted by /u/Casonty06
    [link] [comments]

    Is 750w psu good enough for 3070ti, or should I get an 850w.

    Posted: 01 Jul 2021 03:24 PM PDT

    I have a 750w psu and I have a good chance to buy a 3070ti. If I end up getting it do you think I should get an 850w one, or will i be fine? I overclocked my ryzen 5 5600x if you need to know that.

    submitted by /u/Hootcheesun
    [link] [comments]

    Need help building my boss a new pc. Will be used for 4K video editing, 4K Adobe editing (photoshop, indesign and etc. )

    Posted: 01 Jul 2021 12:30 PM PDT

    Current pc specs: https://imgur.com/a/NhMpnTP My boss wanted to use the old 128GB 2133mhz ram (using 8 slots). So at first I suggested a ryzen 9 5950x, but I realised it won't perform the best with 8 ram slots, so I suggested a threadripper. He's buying it as a company so he doesn't need to pay 25% here in Norway. (He has to pay it but he gets it back).

    So I need to choose a cpu, motherboard. He has a 1000w PSU, which I guess he could still use

    His current cpu is intel xeon. What more could he reuse? He doesn't have a gpu so I also need to find one. The only one available is a 2060, so I guess it isn't a good deal. Can someone make a pcpart list? Will be bought from dustinhome.no and komplett.no Thanks

    submitted by /u/Beeinho
    [link] [comments]

    New build, I need advice for building around the 3090FE

    Posted: 01 Jul 2021 11:28 AM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    I just managed to snag a 3090FE. I'm planning on building a new PC for gaming + streaming (and ideally also recording at 1440p 144fps, so I don't have to suffer 720p VODs) and a bit of light video editing. I'm going to build it in the next few months as I'm in no rush (and can't really spend 3k€ in one go xD).

    What would be your recommendations in terms of:

    • PSU (I hear 850W?)
    • Motherboard (I never understood how to choose a mobo, except that it has to match your CPU :D)
    • CPU
    • Cooling (I'm open to AIO water cooling, never tried it but I think it looks "cleaner" than a massive fan cooler)
    • Case
    • and RAM, I guess :)

    I currently have a case I really like (Fractal Design Meshify C), but I'm not sure the 3090 could fit in there.

    I don't really care about flashy LEDs but I don't mind them either.

    Thank you everyone!

    P.S. : I'm in Europe

    submitted by /u/SynRJ
    [link] [comments]

    Which 2k 144hz monitor to choose for gaming ?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2021 03:07 PM PDT

    Hi everyone !

    I'm struggling really hard these last days to find the perfect 2K monitor for my PC...

    So far I managed to find 4 seemingly-decent monitors :

    SAMSUNG G5 32inch

    ASUS TUF VG23VQ 32inch

    ASUS ROG XG32VC 32inch

    Gigabyte G32QC-EK

    But I can't decide between these ones... And maybe I missed better monitors. So I'm here to ask for some help on this issue.

    What do you think is the best monitor between these four ? Or do you know a better option ?

    Here are my expectations by the way :

    - under 500$

    - 2K 144Hz VA/IPS

    - slow response time (1-2ms)

    - 32inch curved

    - support 2K 144hz on Series X and PS5

    - obviously good image and contrast

    - freesync / gsync is a plus

    - decent hdr is a plus

    Thank you in advance !

    submitted by /u/PtitWiggler
    [link] [comments]

    I need help.

    Posted: 01 Jul 2021 01:27 PM PDT

    what mother boeard can use both Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.30 GHz and
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 Gt

    submitted by /u/6969esg
    [link] [comments]

    i5-10400 to i5-10600k

    Posted: 01 Jul 2021 02:42 PM PDT

    Hello! I have a concern about my CPU which is making me consider getting a new one. I got the i5-10400 back when it was on sale and noticed that it doesn't support XMP on a Z490 board due to it being locked from OCing. The i5-10600k is on sale and switching would be nice but was wondering if it could go up to 3600 ram speed when enabling XMP. I know it will boost but I've seem threads saying it will stay at 3200 ram speed but they didn't really specify the ram speed they have to begin with.

    TLDR, I bought ram speed that my CPU couldn't achieve, will buying the other CPU fix that issue? I will be selling my current CPU to profit the new one as well.

    submitted by /u/SSJGian
    [link] [comments]

    Recognize if a gpu is fake or not

    Posted: 01 Jul 2021 01:05 PM PDT

    Hi guys i was looking to buy a new gpu and upgrade from my old nvidia 750, and i found a nvidia 1060 3gb branded as new at 119€ on ebay and the seller has more than 6000k+ good reviews but the images doesnt show the gpu manufacture and its written that the gpu is unbranded, can i trust an unbranded gpu ? how to recognize if is a fake gpu?

    https://imgur.com/a/XRUxbEh

    submitted by /u/CriTest
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone have a recommendation for a good wifi card?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2021 02:27 PM PDT

    I currently have a TP-Link Archer TX50E (full parts list) and it's given me nothing but problems recently, increasingly close and closer to eachother, it used to just goes from perfectly fine wifi, (around 30ms in most games, easily streams 1080p videos and live streams), to absolute dog shit for no reason known to me.

    It's not on any other device in the house so I highly doubt it's the wifi, I can't use ethernet an mobo doesn't have wifi so I do need a wifi card (or usb wifi antenna, whatever's better). I can temporarily get my pc downstairs and connect with ethernet if needed for testing.

    Resetting the wifi has worked, re-seating the card has worked, running a repear with the (most recent) driver has worked, but none of them always work. The problem used to only occur once every few months (only had my pc a little over half a year) but it's happened 2 weekends ago, last weekend and today (as of posting on thursday Juli 1st).

    So I really have no clue what the problem might be other than the wifi card.

    • My budget is around €50
    • No need for wifi 6 since we only have wifi 5.
    • Bluetooth is optional since I don't use it anyway atm.
    • Preferably black.

    Please ask if you need any additional information, any and all help is welcome

    submitted by /u/RevoltingRobin
    [link] [comments]

    Any suggestions to cut the cost down a bit? I need more money for my GPU

    Posted: 01 Jul 2021 04:37 PM PDT

    CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor $50.00

    CPU Cooler
    Gelid Solutions CC-Siberian-01 51.85 CFM CPU Cooler $10.99

    Motherboard
    ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $60.00

    Memory
    Team Elite 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 CL11 Memory $36.00

    Storage
    Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $36.99

    ADATA SU635 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $31.99

    Power Supply
    EVGA 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply $34.99

    Wireless Network Adapter
    Rosewill RNX-AC600HGUBEv2 USB 2.0 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter $7.2

    Case Fans
    Cooler Master SickleFlow 62 CFM 120 mm Fan $2.99 (x2)

    submitted by /u/ePhantom98
    [link] [comments]

    GTX 970 suddenly not turning on at ALL, not even fans spinning, is it dead?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2021 11:11 PM PDT

    My 6 year old PC hasn't had any issues until the past 3 months. I kept getting blue screens with the error "video tdr failure" and then I'm forced to hard reset.

    These past 2 weeks I'd get this blue screen a minute after startup and then once the PC restarts I can use it fine for about an hour or two before the blue screen comes again.

    It's very random and it's been resetting at the most unexpected times daily.

    Well just now watching YouTube, the monitor went black with the led changing to orange, suggesting no signal was even being received by my monitor. The audio on the YouTube video remained playing.

    I hard reset it as usual but now there's literally no signal being sent what so ever to my monitor and the GPU fans are not even turning on.

    It's starting to sink in that the card might just have unfortunately died? I'm really hoping that's the not the case. Help appreciated.

    submitted by /u/obviously_grilled
    [link] [comments]

    Difficult decision

    Posted: 01 Jul 2021 03:48 PM PDT

    So I couldn't get the deal I wanted a couple of weeks ago, but as I feel the need of an upgrade, I did a little research and it came down to these two options:

    • Z590 Mobo + 2x8GB 3200 + i5-11600K + Fuma 2

    Or

    • B550 Mobo + 2x8GB 3200 + R5 5600X + Fuma 2

    Both of these options cost exactly the same. I'm not really a gamer, so gaming doesn't really matter for me. I use my computer mostly for productivity (Coding, computing, etc.). Which one is the better option?

    Also, I don't know if this matters, but I've got a GTX 1660 and a 550W PSU that I'm not willing to upgrade as they're basically new.

    submitted by /u/Jajalejandro
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment