• Breaking News

    Friday, June 18, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - June 18, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - June 18, 2021


    Simple Questions - June 18, 2021

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Installed new ram pc won’t boot

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 05:35 AM PDT

    Hey! Complete noob, need some help.

    So I just got a new stick of RAM(Crucial 8gb ddr4 2666mhz) added alongside my (Teamgroup 8gb ddr4 2666mhz) However it won't boot my pc.

    For information, I have a MSI A320M-A PRO and the new stick is listed as compatible on crucial website.

    I rearranged the ram into different slots to no avail. Took out my old ram to see if it would boot with the new one but still didn't work.

    submitted by /u/CadiaN-3
    [link] [comments]

    Need opinions on gaming mouse

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 05:31 AM PDT

    Which one should I buy? Corsair katar pro v/s g102 v/s cestus 330(it has got a great 3335 with 20 mil clicks)

    submitted by /u/Whorehoelogy
    [link] [comments]

    If my C drive is an SSD is there any point in adding one (m.2) to my rig?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 05:07 AM PDT

    Question about the energy require for a 980ti

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 07:55 AM PDT

    Mi rx 580 is failing, and a friend offered me his old 980ti for 100 euros. The problem is that I dont know if my PC is capable of bear the 980ti (in terms of energy). What you guys think? My power suply is a Corsair VS650 80+ white, a Ryzen 5 1600 AF and a B450 Aorus Pro Motherboard.

    submitted by /u/icaromhb
    [link] [comments]

    Want to use the same mouse and keyboard for multiple PC's. Recommendations on a USB hub? Is input lag a concern for gaming?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 07:08 AM PDT

    Before someone recommends Multiplicity or something similar, keep in mind that my other PC's are work machines that I cannot run that software on, so that will be out of the question.

    Are there any concerns when it comes to gaming and using a USB hub/switch? Any caveats or warnings? I figured it probably doesn't matter much as long as it's USB 3.0 but historically I've only used them for work machines and not gaming, so I wasn't sure if there were other concerns.

    Thanks!

    UPDATE Got one ordered. Thanks guys!

    submitted by /u/stone500
    [link] [comments]

    Making my HP 600G1 good for GTA 5

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 01:15 PM PDT

    FYI I don't really know that much about PC Specs and building PC. So this is the HP 600G1 i got last year, it has 8GB RAM, i5 4590, 500GB Hard Drive. I just wanna upgraded to where I can play GTA 5 on it. Any recommendations for things I can buy(not expensive)

    submitted by /u/Drippyboimalii
    [link] [comments]

    PC Temperature "Spikes" every 10 seconds

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 07:53 AM PDT

    CPU temp starts at 70C, over the next 10 seconds it will decline to 60C. Then on the 11th second, it jumps back up to 70C and declines again in a pattern. Is this just inaccurate measurement? Or is my CPU actually jumping 10 degrees in a second and cooling down repeatedly?

    Fan speed is constant, load is constant.

    submitted by /u/Delnadrius
    [link] [comments]

    PC won't even reach POST after I installed brand new PSU

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 04:28 PM PDT

    Hello everyone!
    I decided to swap my old PSU for a brand new one after it started to show signs of upcoming death.
    I tested the new PSU with another system and it is working flawlessly.

    However, when I turn on my system with the new PSU my motherboard (Z170a SLI PLUS) displays a red LED next to the CPU label from the EZ Debug LED tool, which according to the manual indicates that "CPU is not detected or fail". Before my PSU started to faint the system has been working flawlessly for nearly 6 years.

    YES, the 8-pin on the top left area of the mobo is connected, in the right direction. I didn't force any cable to plug in and triple-checked every cable. The cable powering the motherboard has all of its pins connected.
    Here's a list of what I tried:
    - Clear CMOS (tried by jumping the pins, and switching the battery for a new one).
    - Unplug everything but CPU + Mobo + one RAM stick (that I also moved to other slots, then did again with my other stick).
    - Completely disassemble my AIO mount, removed my CPU, checked for bent pins, found none, reseated everything perfectly.
    - Checked if any metal pieces were touching my mobo, still no luck.
    - Unplugged some three-pin Molex cables that had been the issue for some folks.
    - Removing any hard drives and SSDs I had in the computer.
    - Probably some other things I can't remember right now.

    When I turn on the computer, my AIO and my fans are starting, but I can't even get a beep from the mobo, even when no RAM is installed.
    It seems like I tried everything at that point.
    Also, I don't know if it's relevant but oddly enough, and even though I check the pins and the wiring, my power on button doesn't light up as it did with the old PSU.

    Thanks in advance for the help and have a nice day.

    submitted by /u/BarneyGold
    [link] [comments]

    A story of how I fried my CPU

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 12:41 PM PDT

    This happened a while back. I bought a noctua fan online and was really excited to see how it would perform. I was using a mini PC (parts below) in cardboard testing mode that I was waiting to put into the case once I got the remaining parts. In the meantime, I was just using it as it is.

    Anyway, I plugged the fan in, turned the PC on and was amazed at how silent the fan was. After some time, I wanted to put the fan away as I already had a fan on the heatsink and I didn't want to place the fan down or kept holding it while I used the PC. Without thinking, my idiot self decided to just unplug the fan from the motherboard.

    I sat back in my chair and quickly realized that my screen had frozen. No worries, I thought. A reboot should fix it. It didn't. It didn't even reach the part where it said "Press F2 to enter BIOS". The first thing that came to mind was a motherboard issue. I did multiple rounds of clear CMOS + reboot but to no avail. I thought I had bricked the board. Luckily, I had another CPU (loaned to me by a friend so that I could test some work related stuff) on hand that was suitable for the same board. I quickly gave my friend a call to explain the situation and got his permission to test using his CPU. I swapped out the CPU into the "broken" motherboard, pushed the button, and it booted just fine, leaving me with my dead 8600k.

    tl;dr: Don't unplug fans (or really any internal component for that matter) while your PC is on or plugged into the wall.

    Parts list:

    • CPU: 8600k (now dead)
    • Motherboard: Asrock H310 deskmini
    • Cooler: AXP90 full copper
    • SSD: Generic 512GB nvme from my laptop
    • RAM: 2x8gb hyperX SODIMM
    • Was waiting on: 1TB MX500 and 1TB SN750 to replace the 512GBi one

    Now some of you might be wondering, "why buy a k-series CPU for a non-Z motherboard?" or "why bother building a mini-PC with such a CPU?". The short answer was because I found a good deal on both the CPU and mini PC set when I was looking for parts to buy.

    Another question you might have is "why don't you just put everything back into the case rather than leave everything out in the open collecting dust? Just reopen it again when you have to swap/add more parts.". I decided to put a 120mm fan on top of the cooler for better cooling. However, this meant that it was too thick to fit into the case so I just used it without the case. The new fan I got was a slim noctua one meant to bring the height down.

    Lastly, some of you might be thinking, "that's not how motherboards/CPUs work. They should be protected against accidents like this!". Well, you may or may not be right; I don't know enough about motherboards to know whether or not this should've happened. What I do know, is that my stupid self should've been more careful in the first place.

    submitted by /u/SufficientSet
    [link] [comments]

    First time building PC , does this PSU work with my PC ?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 02:08 PM PDT

    Hey,

    i had a faulty seasonic focus gx 650W so i returned it and got the be quiet straight power 11 650W. The problem is that pcpartpicker now shows this which it didnt before. Can anyone explain this to me? Can i use this PSU or not

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/z8YCRT

    "The ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the be quiet! Straight Power 11 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it. "

    submitted by /u/Tengri1098
    [link] [comments]

    Should I get “PNY - GeForce GT 710 2GB”

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 04:19 PM PDT

    Im new to this PC building and i don't really know that much about GPUs and other stuff. So I'm trying to play games like Among US, GTA 5, The Walking Dead, and Life is Strange so is this good to use for games like that

    submitted by /u/Drippyboimalii
    [link] [comments]

    How to transfer a Windows installation from an HDD to an SSD?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 02:03 PM PDT

    I have an almost full 2 TB HDD, and am going to install a 500 GB SSD, so cloning the drive isn't an option. I have a few external drives, but they're only about 500 GB total.

    Is it possible to disconnect my hdd from the motherboard, install windows to the ssd, and then reconnect and use the hdd as a secondary drive, without formatting it?

    Is there a way to somehow 'deregister' the hdd as a boot drive?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/floofysox
    [link] [comments]

    15,9GB RAM usage. Upgrade or chill?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 12:48 PM PDT

    I like to multitask (procrastinate) and what happens everyday looks like this:
    Firefox with many tabs open for browsing.
    Chrome playing Twitch on TV.
    Nox emulating a shitty mobile game so I can play and chat with guild.
    Heroes of the Storm (minimized).

    I noticed that doing this I was using 15,9 of 16GB available RAM. What do you guys think? Should I get more RAM or is it fine?

    submitted by /u/NicksCorner
    [link] [comments]

    Did I underspend on a mobo?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 01:32 PM PDT

    I am having an over the top PC built that no reasonable person should own.

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LJ2Nbh

    I was sick of trying to score a GPU and settled with buying a build from NZXT and paying the premium for them to do the work of sourcing and building for me. I don't have too much interest or time in building a new PC.

    When selecting a MoBo I didn't put too much thought into it—my needs for it are minimal. I don't need WiFi, don't need Bluetooth, have zero desire to overclock and don't use an insane amount of ports for stuff like VR.

    So I selected the most basic option presented, which was the ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard

    The two alternatives I had were: 1) ASRock X570 Taichi WIFI (+$140) 2) GIGABYTE X570 AORUS MASTER WIFI ATX (+$210)

    Reading about the Phantom Gaming 4, I'm now a bit concerned about pairing this relatively "budget" motherboard with a ridiculous CPU like the 5950X.

    Like I mentioned I don't really have any plans to overlock or spend much time configuration stuff in the BIOS for optimizations, but I want to make sure I don't undercut the rest of my build to save $100-200 when we're already well past the point of reasonable purchases.

    Can anyone talk me off the ledge or should I reach out to the builders?

    submitted by /u/poopdick12345
    [link] [comments]

    First build MOBO died. Got much more in return.

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 01:13 PM PDT

    A little back story. I made my first plunge in to building a pc September last year. This was before all the scalping happened and crazy gpu shortage y. I was on a budget, not really wanted to OC so and so but did manage down the line to undervolt my card. My previous specs were Asrock b550 pro4, 3600, nitro+ 5700xt 8gb 16gb 8x2 @ 3200. And free cm q500 case.

    A few days ago, my pc wouldnt power on. But pcb led was lit. Long story short, my mobo died and thankfully everything wlse was fine. So ibought a new mobo from a local pc shop and happend to meet a local who was also looking up some motherboards. So we were just casually talk until we got to the part where we were sharing each others specs and once he heard i had a nitro+ 5700xt he shat his arse and offered to trade me a zotac twin edge oc white 3070 brand new in the box for my card. At to which point i had to wipe my arse.

    At first i was skeptical and then he continued to offer me a free fractal case to close the deal and was ever willing to see the whole ordeal from installation to benchmarking. I was hooked.

    Overall i am overwhelmed about my experience. From being heartbroken because of having a broken mobo to getting a new card and a new case both sealed.

    Throughout the whole process i never questioned why he wanted to do the trade. Nor did he ever bring up a reason as to why he wanted it so much.

    He provided both receipts for both purchases made under his name to show proof that its his.

    No money added was involved.

    W for me. I hope a blessing like this bestows on to someone else. It sure has made me very happy.

    submitted by /u/encryptem
    [link] [comments]

    GPU on 0% when playing warzone

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 01:08 PM PDT

    I'm having a problem when I play warzone my GPU usage is on 0 and my CPU usage is very high, which i think is causing my pc to overheat. it does not do this in any other game. I have a i9 9900k, and a GeForce rtx 3070. any suggestion?

    submitted by /u/TryScrub
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrading Ram on Laptop (Acer Nitro 5) AMD Ryzen 5

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 02:17 PM PDT

    I've been looking for a few hours what the best Ram upgrade options would be (I also want to add an HDD but that seems easier to find info on)

    Here are my specs. I don't know a lot about the hardware side on PCs so I'm a little lost in my search as well.

    I'd appreciate any tips. Here is my spec list:

    Processor Model AMD Ryzen 5 4000 Series

    Processor Model Number 4600H Processor Speed (Base)

    3 gigahertz Storage Type

    SSD Total Storage Capacity 256 gigabytes

    Solid State Drive Capacity 256 gigabytes

    System Memory (RAM) 8 gigabytes

    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650

    Operating System Windows 10 Home

    If I missed anything please let me know. I'm open to all advice and thank you for taking the time to respond or read this. ☺️

    submitted by /u/KingGriffNotes
    [link] [comments]

    HP Prebuilt Upgrades Question

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 02:12 PM PDT

    Hey guys, I just purchased my first gaming prebuilt pc from HP due to the current state of the GPU market (linked below).

    Are there any small upgrades I can make to it to help it perform better? Any advice is appreciated!

    HP Prebuilt

    submitted by /u/Yashxo
    [link] [comments]

    Bought some cheap Corsair ram

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 03:41 PM PDT

    Just went to a new store that opened up today in my mall and they had some Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 for $82 (2x8, cl18) but everything in the store was 40% off. I paid $53 and some change! Good deal?

    submitted by /u/bobmunciee
    [link] [comments]

    Bottleneck?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 02:54 PM PDT

    Hello, I am new to pc building and am confused about the current state of my build and hoping for some input.

    I recently managed to get my hands on an Ftw3 3080 and am wondering about what seems to be a potential bottleneck. I have a Ryzen 7 3700x and 16 GB of G-skill ram at 3600 mhz. I also play at 1440 with a 144hz monitor, however, I am confused by what seems to be an underwhelming reality with my build.

    I have heard different things about the CPU potentially being the bottleneck, not enough ram or not fast enough ram. This has frankly left me rather confused. Any ideas on whether or not my system is being limited by any overt discrepancies in my part selection?

    I would love to hear people's thoughts on it and potentially figure out where the apparent problem lies.

    submitted by /u/whitecleff
    [link] [comments]

    Do these specs look OK for working with after effects and Premier (lots of animation and editing)

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 02:49 PM PDT

    Processor (CPU) AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.8GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4) Motherboard ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready! Memory (RAM) 64GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 16GB) Graphics Card 12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 - HDMI, DP 1st Storage Drive 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE 1st M.2 SSD Drive 500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W) 1st M.2 SSD Drive 1TB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3500MB/sR | 2500MB/sW)

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/phoenixliberty
    [link] [comments]

    Best brand of PSU?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 05:00 PM PDT

    I have a 3060 Ti arriving sometime this next week and decided to upgrade my PSU to be on the safe side. Currently using a cheap Thermaltake 500W 80+ so it's probably good to replace it in general.

    I'm wondering in general what are considered the best brands of PSUs? I'm planning on getting something pretty high quality and "overkill" for my current system so I'll be able to put it into a new PC in a few years rather than just get a cheap upgrade right now and finding myself having to scrap it in a few years.

    I'm looking at a Corsair RM850x 80+ Gold: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079H5WNXN/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

    I'm wondering if I can get anything better for around that price or if this is a good option? If I spend this kind of money on a PSU I'm hoping it will last me in my current PC for a few years without breaking a sweat and then be able to power my next build for it's entire lifespan as well.

    submitted by /u/ResidentEv1L
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment