• Breaking News

    Saturday, June 5, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - June 05, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - June 05, 2021


    Simple Questions - June 05, 2021

    Posted: 05 Jun 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone here upgraded from the nvidia 6800xt to the amd 6800xt

    Posted: 04 Jun 2021 11:55 PM PDT

    for those who didn't know nvidia released a 6800xt in 2005 and I thought it would be funny if someone had upgraded from the 6800xt to the 6800xt

    submitted by /u/Frozoken
    [link] [comments]

    I betrayed myself

    Posted: 05 Jun 2021 09:58 AM PDT

    I did it. I caved. I paid a stupid amount of money for a 6700XT and some basic motherboard I'll never use or be able to sell. I finally won the Newegg truffle shuffle and I couldn't resist.

    I've been updating my 7 year old computer since September. Got everything but the GPU by Oct. I decided to wait for the new gen cards to come out. Figured I would stay up a few nights waiting for drops. Never could have imagined it would be like this. In the beginning I scoffed at the prices, said I would never pay above MSRP. After a couple of months I decided maybe I'd pay a hundred or so more, but I wouldn't give money to the scalpers charging 3-4x and never the Newegg shuffle, over priced and they offload junk at the same time. Besides, my 290X was still trucking along. I searched and searched and found nothing.

    A couple of months ago I finally gave in and started signing up for the Newegg shuffle. I read that your chances are about 1:100,000, didn't think I would ever win but I could decide what to do when I got there. I entered every time, must have done 30 shuffles. Then 3 days ago my 290X stopped working. I was heartbroken, kept restarting my computer praying it was a fluke, knowing I'd never get a new card. Eventually I gave up.

    Yesterday I won the Newegg shuffle. Maybe I could have resisted if my 290X was still working, maybe that's a kind thing I tell myself to justify how much money I spent on a 6700xt. I'm excited and I feel bad. I should have been stronger and held out. I should have been more diligent in finding drops. I should have tried more ways to fix my 290X. But a chance like this might not come by for months. And playing Cyberpunk on my husband's Vega 64 makes me nauseated because of low FPS. And I usually keep my cards for years so I can spread the cost out right.....?

    I just want to feel excited but I feel guilty, like I submitted to a system I wanted to destroy. Or like I'm negotiating with terrorists. Maybe I'm not responsible for the way the GPU ecosystem is, but I'm not sure I'm helping either. Apologies for the long rant, I'm curious if I'm alone in feeling conflicted or if I'm over thinking it.

    submitted by /u/mjot_007
    [link] [comments]

    Asus Prime z590-p finger safety.

    Posted: 05 Jun 2021 08:42 AM PDT

    Just a warning for anyone getting this board.

    THE HEATSINKS ARE VERY SHARP

    submitted by /u/Alkuam
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to sell old computer parts

    Posted: 05 Jun 2021 10:39 AM PDT

    So I'm looking to sell old computer parts, but I'm not sure where to start. Should I go to ebay, r/hardwareswap, newegg? I just do not know where is the best place to do this.

    submitted by /u/Igglue_Reddit
    [link] [comments]

    Unable to XMP, is my system compatible??

    Posted: 05 Jun 2021 09:22 AM PDT

    As the title suggests, I am unable to turn on my XMP profile without issues with the boot. Sometimes it will work, but when I next restart, I get a boot failure. I've tried OC-ing the RAM manually, adjusting the voltages, and the sticks are in A2, B2 as the manual suggests.... nothing.

    The sticks are Hyper X Fury DDR4 3200mhz (2x8), my only logical solution is something is incompatible, these are the rest of the specs...

    Intel i5-11400f Gigabyte b560m elite (micro atx) (Fully updated BIOS) AMD RX 6800 700W Gold PSU

    It doesn't make that much of a difference to performance, but it's truly doing my head in. Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/CHAMsta180
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrade from Ryzen 7 1700 to 3700x Temperature Issues 95C +

    Posted: 05 Jun 2021 12:40 PM PDT

    Hey BuildAPC!

    I recently updated updated my CPU from a Ryzen 7 1700 to 3700x and I'm now seeing idle temps around 65-70C and when performing a stress test on AIDA64 it shoots immediately up to 95-100C. My motherboard is a MSI B350M Mortar running the most recent bios firmware. My CPU cooler is a Corsair H100i GTX and after the first time I saw super high temps, I removed and re-thermal pasted the CPU but that didn't change anything. I didn't notice any temperature issues with my 1700. I will note it's super hot in my room right now but I'm not expecting the immediate temperature rises.

    My case is a custom inWin301C with holes in the front and I have the 240mm Corsair Radiator in the front with the 1080 hybrid radiator as the rear exhaust. All of my fans are ThermalTake riing plus and are controlled using TT RGB Plus software rather than the standard 3/4 pin fan pins. I have the CPUs at max performance mode and the H100i pump on performance mode as well but still reach 95C+.

    Pictures of my build can be found and AIDA64/Corsair Link temperatures can be found here: https://imgur.com/a/GVA5fGL
    PCPartPicker list here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dg2dVc

    Any idea what could be causing the issue? I'm going to be out for a bit but my next idea is to replace the Corsair H100i with the stock 3700x CPU cooler. Is it possible for a H100i to fail or could it be something wrong with the CPU?

    submitted by /u/i0am0awesome
    [link] [comments]

    Downgrading a native 4k to 1920x1080, text on screen is blurry.

    Posted: 05 Jun 2021 10:36 AM PDT

    So got a Acer VG270K as a gift from a friend but I am using a pretty old Radeon 7870 card. Since my other monitor is 1920x1080 and I want the feel and hertz to match, I am trying to downgrade the monitor to 1080p. But for some reason all the text on the monitor is blurry and I can't figure out how to make it sharp. The Acer for some reason doesn't have a default sharpness control and I've already tried Cleartype and it doesn't really fix it.

    Would appreciate any help!

    submitted by /u/Tonythetigger
    [link] [comments]

    Power Deviation?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2021 10:22 AM PDT

    So i just noticed something ''weird'' that i dont really understand if its something to worry about or not. In hwinfo, theres a value called Power reporting deviation and this one for the most part is red to me. https://i.imgur.com/WIeM0KR.png Its either way above 100% or below 100% ...from my readings, isnt that a bad thing? shouldnt it be at 100% ? And is it something to worry about?

    Ryzen 3600 on B550 Aorus Elite V2

    I do have my vcore set to Normal -0.072 offset instead of auto if thats causing it for some reason? That negative offstet pretty much gives me the same score in cinebench than auto but on 5 degrees lower temps... i doubt slight undervolting and lower temps can damage stuff. i just dont understand what those numbers in hwinfo mean

    submitted by /u/gwsoftlight
    [link] [comments]

    Pcie wifi card with good range

    Posted: 05 Jun 2021 10:19 AM PDT

    I'm in the market for a wifi card. I live in an RV full time, and need to add internet to my desktop.

    Since I won't always know how close I'll be to the park router, I'm looking for a card with good range. Or a good card and aftermarket antennas to extend it.

    I think most places have extenders, and I've had no issue with my phone or my girlfriend's laptop, so is range even a concern?

    What are my options?

    submitted by /u/LandoChronus
    [link] [comments]

    How bad do I need HDMI 2.1 for PS5?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2021 12:27 PM PDT

    So I've been looking up the internet for a 4K, 144hz gaming monitor with HDMI 2.1 port for ps5. I am so confused since one says something and the other says something completly different.

    I couldn't find a suitable monitor to my budget with the specs I mentioned.

    But when I take the HDMI 2.1 out, there are tons of options.

    If I get a 4K monitor with HDMI 2.0, will regret getting it in the near future? Can someone please tell me the pros and cons on this matter?

    submitted by /u/AppleDaLegend
    [link] [comments]

    Mixing and matching case fans?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2021 12:23 PM PDT

    I recently ordered the BeQuiet! Dark Base 700 to replace my NZXT H510 and it completely slipped my mind the need for case fans. I know the DB700 comes with 2 Silent Wings 3 140mm PWM but in my H510 I currently have 2 Arctic p12 PWM fans as well as 2 NZXT stock fans. Is it ok if I have those three fans names in my case?

    submitted by /u/Drinking-Ducks
    [link] [comments]

    how much ram can my pc have without capping?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2021 12:22 PM PDT

    here are my specs

    Processer: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-core Processer 3.40 GHz

    RAM: 8 GB

    Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H

    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660

    submitted by /u/saltiebroski
    [link] [comments]

    3600mhz cl18 vs 3200mhz cl16

    Posted: 05 Jun 2021 12:21 PM PDT

    I am going to buy Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 and I am trying to figure out if I should go with 3600mhz cl18 or 3200mhz cl16, I read somewhere it can be hard to get the 3600mhz to run at max speed and you maybe need to underclock it but I am just going to ask reddit to see if I could get a concrete answer.

    CPU: Ryzen 5800X

    Motherboard: Asus ROG x570-F Gaming

    submitted by /u/lavakissy
    [link] [comments]

    Replacing parts, I have a few questions

    Posted: 05 Jun 2021 10:46 AM PDT

    Hey everyone! Now that my PSU's died on me, while I'm at it I wanna swap out certain parts of my custombuilt 6 year-old PC and wanted to consult to u abt a few things on my mind:

    1. My friends told me the CPU (i5 4590) was a bottleneck to the GPU (MSI R9 390X 8GB). Is it? Would it do me any good to replace it? Any replacement ideas?
    2. I'm gonna swap out the motherboard (MSI H90) either way, but would it benefit me performance-wise to go for sth that supports DDR4 or beyond, and get RAM accordingly?

    Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/SuspiciousTension618
    [link] [comments]

    Can I use my previous CPU cooler for my new cpu?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2021 11:52 AM PDT

    I have an i7 3770, Im getting an i7 10700k. I have a cooler master 212 but I dont know which one. It looks alot like the newest model. How can I tell the model I have without taking it off the cpu?

    I dont plan on overclocking my new cpu, so Im thinking the old cooler I have should work?

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/husker3in4
    [link] [comments]

    Is this good enough for a 10850k?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2021 05:46 AM PDT

    https://www.microcenter.com/product/634680/asus-b560-a-rog-strix-gaming-wifi-intel-lga-1200-atx-motherboard

    So I'm debating getting the 10850k for my white o11 build, over a 5600x that I had planned to get.

    At $20 dollars more, the additional 4 cores are very attractive. Would it be a dumb idea to pair it with this MOBO? It's the only reasonable priced white/wifi option I've been able to find in the LGA1200 configuration.

    Is it worth an extra $120 for a Z board?

    submitted by /u/Cryptic_Sims
    [link] [comments]

    Good parts to pair with a 1070 TI?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2021 11:44 AM PDT

    One of my coworkers is dismantling an old mining rig and sold me a 1070 TI for $200.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WVqvy4 are these good parts to pair with the card?

    submitted by /u/Overall_Donkey9732
    [link] [comments]

    My PC started an electrical fire (Corsair RGB)

    Posted: 05 Jun 2021 12:00 AM PDT

    I plugged in an RGB cable into the RGB hub, something I've seen done and done so myself thousands of times, and it started an electrical fire burning instantly and singing everything around it.

    I'm pretty freaked out right now and would love anyone's assistance - thank you so much!

    submitted by /u/theshoeguy4
    [link] [comments]

    Best ram for ryzen 7 5800x?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2021 01:41 PM PDT

    I know its been asked before.(cant seem to find a straight answer) lBut i just got a ryzen 7 5800x and keep reading about how ram speed and timings are crucial (IM PUNNY) and i was wondering what the best kit i can get is.

    submitted by /u/idkCallMeWaffles
    [link] [comments]

    CPU fan only turns on when the minimum fan speed is set to 87.5% in BIOS.

    Posted: 05 Jun 2021 11:25 AM PDT

    Hello,

    Upon powering my desktop one of two CPU fans spins briefly and stops before the boot-up screen. In a similar fashion when I wake up the desktop from sleep, the same CPU fan will spin briefly before stopping.

    The CPU fan has 4 wires and is connected to the 4-pin CPU_FAN2 header. My MOBO is Z87-GD65.

    Further background:

    Even when the CPU is above the minimum temperature threshold the CPU fan doesn't spin. I tried flicking the fan to overcome any possibles issues related to a high stall current required to get the fan spinning to no avail.

    My MOBO bios does not have the option for a custom fan curve with multiple points. Rather it has 2 points configurable based on min/max temperature and fan speed.

    Shown here: https://gyazo.com/26f114b7c22add16f88d489f1231cfdb

    I changed the minimum fan speed to 87.5% and this is the only fan speed set in the BIOS where the CPU fan would continue to spin past the boot-up screen.

    This may be related to this explanation another user had but I'm not certain this is the cause.

    https://gyazo.com/5199ee35df7edf6d2c1ff28b1f3f2679

    I have also tried resetting the bios.

    Thanks,

    submitted by /u/AllHailTheMilkman
    [link] [comments]

    Built a new PC, and having a few issues with restarting upon opening a few games

    Posted: 05 Jun 2021 01:32 PM PDT

    I recently built a new PC, all completely new parts, aside from a PSU, and GPU (I have since bought a new PSU, after having this same issue with my old PSU, and the problem persists still, so that isn't the issue). I opened a few games after completing my build to see if everything's good, and it was, running a smooth 144 FPS (Monitor limit) with no throttling of any sort. CPU temps average 50 degrees (Hardly ever hits 60, and averages around 30 degrees on idle). GPU is a similar deal with hitting 40 degrees on idle, and around 60 degrees gaming. The issue here comes when I open up Cold War, in that when I open it up, the system just restarts itself. I don't seem to have the issue with most other games I've tried, including Black Ops 4, which I can open up, no issue, play for hours, and have stable temps. The only other time I've had a similar situation is when I played an online game (Rogue Company), which allowed me to open up the game, but reset the system when I entered a match. That is even more bizarre to me, as it's a game capped in performance to maintain fairness with console players, so it definitely isn't an overload issue.

    If it helps, I'll provide the info of my build CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x Motherboard: AsRock B550 Steel Legend PSU: EVGA P2 750w GPU: Radeon 5700XT Gigabyte OC (The only seemingly relevant hand-me-down of my old build now)

    And info of note that might help:

    1. I switched from Intel to AMD, and have not cleared out my SSD, as I immediately went to testing after finishing my build, and came across the issue.

    2. I haven't updated my motherboard BIOS as the motherboard came with the required one for Ryzen 5000 support (Though none of the notes on the website really claim to help this issue)

    3. My last build was functional, I could open Cold War with it, and never had any restarting issues, but when I did play Cold War on it, it would lag really bad, but after 10-20 minutes of gameplay, it would stabilize. I originally thought the issue was my CPU causing this as it was a huge bottleneck for my GPU, leaving it at 50-60% utilization.

    4. According to Ryzen Master, when running Black Ops 4, my PPT, and EDC are almost at their limits. If those limits are exceeded, could it cause my current issue? Would that mean I should try a motherboard with better VRMs, or is there something I can do in Bios to change that? I'm new to Ryzen, so I'm not really sure how that all works.

    submitted by /u/Embarrassed-Menu-195
    [link] [comments]

    Monitor shutting down followed by pc shutdown while gaming at random intervals.

    Posted: 05 Jun 2021 01:06 PM PDT

    My pc has been randomly shutting off the monitor followed by a loud noise and then a pc shutdown while gaming for weeks now, I've just been powering it down and resetting it from until today. Today after rebooting it there is a random assortion of colored lines on my monitor that appear when rebooting my pc after the Asus logo loads. No way for me to get into windows. Just stuck here. :(

    submitted by /u/SubjectBagelBerry
    [link] [comments]

    Need to know if this is a good deal as well as good parts for vr

    Posted: 05 Jun 2021 10:52 AM PDT

    Cpu-Ryzen 3600 Motherboard-MSI mpg b550 Graphics card-Radeon RX 5600 XT I can get all 3 for $1250. Would I be wasting my money?

    submitted by /u/SilentKnight19
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment