• Breaking News

    Friday, May 28, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - May 28, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - May 28, 2021


    Simple Questions - May 28, 2021

    Posted: 28 May 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I want to build a gaming pc for my son.

    Posted: 27 May 2021 11:31 PM PDT

    I want to build a gaming pc for my son. I used to build pc's with my dad over 20 years ago, but I haven't tried to build one in years and am not up to speed on current tech. I need some help on what parts to pick and how I can tell if they are compatible. Or if I'm even asking the right kinds of questions.

    Can anybody give me a good starting point or a site where I can re-learn the basics? My budget would be around around 2000, give or take. Any help is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/emriguez
    [link] [comments]

    How much more performance will I get from upgrading my CPU and RAM?

    Posted: 28 May 2021 06:52 AM PDT

    Hey guys, I'm currently running on a Z97x Gaming5 motherboard with a core i5 4690, a 1060 6gb and 8gb of ram.

    I was wondering if I upgrade to a Asus b550m-a with a Ryzen 5 5600x or ryzen 7 3700x and 16gb of ram, will i see a huge improvement in the games I play?

    Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/heyImMo
    [link] [comments]

    What is the general opinion in Tuf Gaming GPUs?

    Posted: 28 May 2021 12:06 PM PDT

    Exactly as the title said. I caved and got a prebuilt (everything seems quite good, no complaints, nice cable management to my eyes as well) and it has a Tuf Gaming 3080 in it. I'm not too familiar with them, how is their reputation with graphics cards?

    submitted by /u/mergingapoIIo
    [link] [comments]

    Help me in setting up desktop system for my niece online classes

    Posted: 28 May 2021 09:47 AM PDT

    My niece staring her first online class. I have a old desktop system lying around, I'm planning to use that for her online classes.

    The old desktop is already connected to a logitech speaker. I need to buy a web cam and mic now.

    Here is my doubt, when attending online class the audio will be coming from speaker but will the mic pickup the sound from external speaker and echo to other side ?

    If yes, how to properly setup Speaker + Webcam + Mic.

    Please don't suggest headphone with mic, she is a 4 year old kid, she will not wear it.

    Also, I'm curious how laptops handle the echo issues when using internal mic and speaker.

    submitted by /u/nfs_cobalt_ss
    [link] [comments]

    Choosing monitor for my build

    Posted: 28 May 2021 09:27 AM PDT

    Which is the best budget 144 Hz 1080p monitor? Should i go for curved monitor? Also is upgrading to 1440p a good decision? I am on a budget of ~250$ My specs : cpu :Ryzen 5 5600X Gpu : RTX3060ti RAM : 16GB 3600Mhz

    submitted by /u/gen1us29
    [link] [comments]

    Nightmare of an Upgrade - msi x470 Gaming Pro Carbon - 2700x to 5800x

    Posted: 28 May 2021 04:20 AM PDT

    Decided to upgrade my cpu from a 2700x to 5800x since MSI released a bios update that will work on the previous generation of boards, mine being an x470 Gaming Pro Carbon.

    When taking the 2700x out, the (stock Wraith) heatsink was stuck to the cpu, I pulled a bit too hard and the cpu came out of the socket with the fan.

    Upon inspection I didn't notice any broken or bent pins on the 2700x, and the socket on the motherboard appeared to be ok, so I continued on with the build.

    Put the 5800x in, which seated with no issue, locked it down and installed the 240mm AIO cooler I had purchased.

    With that done, hooked everything back up, went to post, and while the power turned on (fans, RGB, vid card, etc), it wouldn't post, let me into the bios, nothing.

    The ezdebug light for CPU was red on the motherboard.

    After doing cable checks and attempting to clear cmos in every way to no success, decided to take the 5800x out and put the 2700x back in.

    With the 2700x back in, still no post, and instead of the ezdebug light being red on for CPU, it was on dram instead, accompanied by 6 beeps, which according to MSI, is a failed motherboard or CPU.

    Took another look at the 5800x I had removed and there were 1 to 3 bent pins on all 4 corners. Not bent right down, all of them were pushed inwards. Think with some precision and luck, they should all be able to be moved back into place.

    I removed the 2700x from the motherboard again, and it did not come out easy (unlike the 5800x that did earlier). Took a look at the pins and only 1 side had 2 pins bent in, going inwards.

    Straightened those out, and the 2700x drops into the socket fine, but I'm kind of scared to put that latch down again and risk making things worse. Bending pins back into place is not my favorite thing, and I don't want to risk breaking one.

    The motherboard socket still looks aligned and intact, but I can't see the receiving cpu pins on the motherboard due to the plastic cover on it.

    What are the chances that the mobo socket pins are messed up underneath, even though the top side appears fine?

    At this point I'm fairly confused and frustrated, some help with this is much appreciated.

    Tl;dr - may have damaged the cpu pins on my motherboard socket, from the cpu being stuck to the stock fan heatsink and being forcibly removed from the socket during a cpu upgrade.

    Thanks for reading

    submitted by /u/McHomer
    [link] [comments]

    Weird high-pitched squeaking noise from PC

    Posted: 28 May 2021 10:44 AM PDT

    So I recently finished building my first PC and there is a weird sound coming from it and I'm not sure what it is. It's not the sound of something hitting a fan and the sound it self is like a squeaky, high-pitched robotic sound happening every 5-10 seconds. Here is a link to a unlisted youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn_wi8PuWQg and you'll have to listen closely to hear what I'm talking about because of the PC noise almost masking the weird sound. You can hear this sound in the first second and on 0:12.

    Would love to know what you guys think it might be.

    submitted by /u/marwinhormiz
    [link] [comments]

    Is my motherboard broken?

    Posted: 28 May 2021 11:16 AM PDT

    So around half a year ago, i've built a pc that would be ready for the next generation, and it has been working flawlessly for that time.

    Around half a year later, and my system suddenly does a hard reset while gaming (no indicator, pc stays on while display just cuts to black and pc reboots).

    Now I thought this was just a 1 time error, but suddenly when trying to boot it 1 day, the pc turned on, but no display. The lights would turn on, except the CPU cooler wouldn't spin, nor would the GPU fans. The "EZ Debug LED" on my motherboard indicated 2 things: DRAM and BOOT.

    Of course I thought this was a RAM problem, but when trying it at my friends place my ram worked perfectly fine on his pc while his RAM didnt work on my own PC.

    After plugging back my own RAM again, it suddenly worked again!

    It continued to have the same issues some days after that. So instead of slot 2 and 4, i decided to put the RAM in slot 1 and 3. This proved to work. It wasn't optimal, but it worked.

    Now it's 3 weeks later and the same thing happened again, except now the RAM doesnt work on ANY slot.

    I tried using new RAM sticks, but also no display and the same 2 lights.

    I think its the DRAM slots that broke but i can't say for sure, does anyone have any suggestions I can try out?

    I would like to specify:

    • I tried using 1 stick, doesnt work on ANY slot.
    • I tried resetting BIOS with a jumper
    • Sometimes the EZ debug LEDS would display CPU instead of RAM but only very occasionally.
    • Everything is compatible and the system is getting enough power

    Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/NoOneCRS
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for Opinions on my build

    Posted: 28 May 2021 01:59 PM PDT

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FsmxJf

    Hey there.
    Im planning to pair this build with a 3070 (not sure which model to buy yet, open for suggestions) and was looking for some opinions on it if everything in terms of compability, space, power delivery, temps, vrm etc. is alright or should be changed - just to be sure that my research is correct

    btw Im mainly going to stream and play competitive Fortnite on this and i am a bit worried that a 3080 would be a better match for my cpu. will there be bottleneck or any performance losses caused by a 3070 in this build and is a 3080 worth considering?

    thanks in advance :)

    submitted by /u/Sub13_
    [link] [comments]

    So I’m buying a Gaming PC for a family member and I know little to nothing about them, the only issue I’ve encountered is that the PC I’m looking at comes with no ‘Network Hardware’, to me that sounds like it isn’t going to connect to WiFi, am I stupidly wrong?

    Posted: 28 May 2021 01:35 PM PDT

    QUICK will a R5 3600 be ok with a RX 6800?

    Posted: 28 May 2021 10:47 AM PDT

    Will a R5 3600 and a RX 6800 work well together? I have a 600W gold PSU

    submitted by /u/Ethan-Hayes706
    [link] [comments]

    Cpu vs Gpu

    Posted: 28 May 2021 12:09 PM PDT

    Im new to pc gaming, and I'm thinking of getting a ryzen 7 5800x and rtx 2070 super. Should I get a worse cpu and go for the rtx 2080 super? I'm going for a 1440p monitor

    submitted by /u/Mrstealurpotato1
    [link] [comments]

    After building my PC, no reaction from the tower

    Posted: 28 May 2021 09:07 AM PDT

    I have built my PC for the first time, until then I would always go for laptops. However, on my first build, I can't turn the PC on at all. When pressing the power button, no reaction whatsoever.

    Specs: - Asus tuf gaming gt301 tower - Msi GeForce RTX 3060 - Msi Mag z490 Tomahawk - Intel i5 11600k - gskill 16GB ddr4-3000 X2 - be quiet! Pure power 11fm 750W - Cool Master Masterliquid Lite 240

    Steps followed and rechecked: - Intel processor on the correct side - Power is on and plugged in correctly (brand new and doesn't seem to be faulty) - Power and reset pins correctly placed (first thing in all troubleshooting guides) - Ram in the correct slots and it clicked in - GPU also clicked in well - SSD also put in correctly - Water-cooling fans connected to the motherboard - GPU power connected - Motherboard 24pin connected - CPU connected - driver at the back connected with the power supply

    Things I have noticed: - the fan at the back of the tower isn't connected to anything - there's a cable (audio one I think) which fits in the motherboard but didn't exactly clip itself. It's inside but not 100%

    I feel like I've troubleshooted a fair bit, but the power button does not do anything whatsoever.

    All the components are brand new, no second hand. If the answer is to consult a professional, I will do so.

    submitted by /u/marco3666
    [link] [comments]

    Can I repurpose an AIO radiator to make a water dispenser?

    Posted: 28 May 2021 02:03 PM PDT

    I want to make a cold water dispenser. Can I use the radiator as the coolant?

    EDIT: Can it be reused for an air conditioner?

    submitted by /u/Horror-Walk-374
    [link] [comments]

    Can I use disinfenctant to remoce GPU thermal paste?

    Posted: 28 May 2021 11:50 AM PDT

    I dont have alcohol currently and all the stores are closed so I need any suggestions that are an option to me.

    submitted by /u/HellionCosmos
    [link] [comments]

    PC not posting after BIOS update.

    Posted: 28 May 2021 01:58 PM PDT

    Hi all. Friends computer having issues, his pc was frequently restarting in games at random intervals so I thought a BIOS update would solve the problem as it did mine few weeks ago.

    The PC posted once and ran fine until it had a hard restart again and now it will not post at all. The motherboard is stuck constantly on a solid white LED CPU, I've tried my fiancé's Ryzen 1600 in here, and took my friend's one out. Tried resetting CMOS, put the Reset SW In JBAT1 and power cycled etc. Did all the necessary trouble shooting I'm just out of ideas at this point.

    Anybody know anything about these issues?

    CPU: RYZEN 5 1600 MOBO: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX RAM: ADATA 16GB SSD: GIGABYTE SSD GPU: AMD R9 290

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Bonebound
    [link] [comments]

    Pc black screen issue.

    Posted: 28 May 2021 01:58 PM PDT

    Hello, when powering up my PC, all the fans are running but I only get a black screen. I can't even enter bios. I've tried taking out ram, switching GPUs, switching monitors, and resetting CMOS. Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/IKyusangi
    [link] [comments]

    PSU 500W

    Posted: 28 May 2021 10:05 AM PDT

    Hi community, is me again asking question now about the PSU. . So basically my build is below - R5 3600 - Gtx 1660 - 2x8gb 3200mhz - xpg 8200 512gb ssd . Will 500W PSU 80+ Bronze work fine with this build?

    submitted by /u/Unusual-Car-1438
    [link] [comments]

    Wondered if a part exists.

    Posted: 28 May 2021 01:33 PM PDT

    On my Case (O11-D) there's a back panel for if you want to slide the HDDs out. But the HDDs connect via wires, so you can't slide things out. I was wondering if there's anyway to install a static power and SATA connector that will stay in place as I pull HDDs in and out.

    submitted by /u/alaska1415
    [link] [comments]

    Need help picking a processor

    Posted: 28 May 2021 11:18 AM PDT

    So I'm trying to upgrade my PC bit by bit since I can't afford a completely new one, and am looking at processors (and motherboard, RAM and possibly a new power supply) since it's older than my graphics card.
    I'm torn between the two in the comparison below, I need something more concrete to decide.
    Intel Core i5-11600KF @ 3.90GHz vs Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz [cpubenchmark.net] by PassMark Software
    I hear i7 is supposed to be a lot better than i5, and also heard right now benchmarking is a bit unreliable, so I don't know what to think here. The i5-11600KF is considerably cheaper (I'm in Brazil so one costs 1900 and the other 2500).

    My current setup is:
    Processor: i7-3770
    GPU: Zotac GTX 970
    RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz DDR3
    PSU: 600W Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2

    submitted by /u/kaplox
    [link] [comments]

    Corsair LL not lighting up

    Posted: 28 May 2021 01:12 PM PDT

    3 LL corsair fans are all plugged into lighting node pro. They're spinning but are not lighting up. I checked Ique and everything seems normal, even lighting controller shows color patterns. They're just not lighting up.

    I have Asus tuf gaming Z590 plus wifi moba

    submitted by /u/thermopilyateee
    [link] [comments]

    Bottleneck ?

    Posted: 28 May 2021 12:49 PM PDT

    Hello everyone, I'm now building my second "budget" pc (I already have motherboard so I decided to make whole configuration) and I have i5 2500 on it. I'm going to buy gtx 970, but my question is would it be better if I also buy i7 3700(k) ? This one have 4c/4t and i7 have 4c/8t. If you have some advice about it give me your opinion. I will appreciate it.

    submitted by /u/DinoGS_
    [link] [comments]

    I am in the bios and I don’t know what to do, can someone guide me to what to do?

    Posted: 28 May 2021 12:33 PM PDT

    I have an msi botherboard

    submitted by /u/Bear200569
    [link] [comments]

    Will an OC version of a card increase it's power usage?

    Posted: 28 May 2021 10:11 AM PDT

    I'm thinking of buying a GTX 750 ti for my £150 PC. Problem is, the base PC I went for was a Dell Optiplex 3010 which has a 265W PSU. I'm confident in the PSU's ability to handle the card normally but if an OC version uses more power I may go for something else. MSI and Nvidia both say the card uses 60W but MSI recommend a 400W PSU whereas Nvidia recommend a 300W PSU. I could always go for a GT 1030 to be safe but it's more expensive and gets less performance.

    submitted by /u/issa20298127
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment