• Breaking News

    Thursday, May 6, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - May 06, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - May 06, 2021


    Simple Questions - May 06, 2021

    Posted: 06 May 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Thank you r/buildapc. My first PC build was a success.

    Posted: 06 May 2021 11:05 AM PDT

    Just a big thank you to the community for the inspiration, guidance, and any feedback along the way. I had a blast selecting parts, placing orders, waiting for packages, building it, and now enjoying the fruits o' my labor. Here she is: (https://imgur.com/0g99TYT)

    submitted by /u/GoodRespect
    [link] [comments]

    A different take on monitor refresh rates (and the actual fact why 60hz to 144hz is the biggest jump and 144hz to 240hz not so much)

    Posted: 05 May 2021 02:39 PM PDT

    When we talk about refresh rates, we talk about a frequency in which the monitor refreshes the image on screen every second. We refer to that as hertz (hz).

    So for marketing this is a very easy number to advertise. Same as the Ghz wars back in the day with the CPUs. The benefit we receive we have to measure in frametimes, which is the actual time between frames in which the monitor gives a fresh image.

    For 60hz, we receive a new frame every 16.66 milliseconds. The jump to 144hz, in which we receive a new frame every 6.94 ms, means we shave off a total of 9.72 ms of waiting for the monitor to show a new image when we do this upgrade.

    240hz means we receive a new frame every 4.16 ms. So from 144hz (6.94 ms) we shave a total of 2.78 ms. To put it in context, this is lower than the amount of frametimes we reduce when we upgrade from

    60hz to 75hz - 3.33 ms

    75hz to 100hz - 3.33 ms

    100hz to 144hz - 3.06 ms

    This doesn't mean it isn't noticeable. It is, specially for very fast paced and competitive games, but for the average person 144hz is more than enough to have a smooth performance.

    But what about 360hz monitors? These deliver a new frame every 2.78 ms. So the jump from 240hz to 360hz cuts 1.39 ms in frametimes. I would argue this is where it starts to get tricker to notice the difference. This jump from 240hz to 360hz is the exact same in frametimes as going from 120hz to 144hz.

    So to have it clean and tidy

    60hz to 144hz = 9.72 ms difference in frametimes

    144hz to 240hz = 2.78 ms difference

    240hz to 360hz = 1.39 ms difference

    I hope this helps to clear some things out.

    submitted by /u/ashrobb
    [link] [comments]

    CPU Bottleneck

    Posted: 06 May 2021 07:56 AM PDT

    I've got tons of i7-6700's lying around. Would the CPU bottleneck a RTX 2080?

    submitted by /u/Kambing_BrD
    [link] [comments]

    Intel or Ryzen

    Posted: 06 May 2021 09:28 AM PDT

    Should I get the I7-10700 for $279.99 or should I get the Ryzen 7 3700x for $300?My GPU is a 1060. Thanks

    submitted by /u/SkillsForNoobz
    [link] [comments]

    Help me make a worse PC please.

    Posted: 05 May 2021 09:32 PM PDT

    This is going to sound weird, but I need help in downgrading my PC. I built my rig a few years ago with modest parts, a 1060ti with ryzen 5, 16gb ram etc as I'm an avid but casual gamer.

    Now this will be controversial, but I'm addicted to gaming and want to take a serious step in addressing this as it's affecting my relationship and I want to put more time into things that matter more to me. I've tried taking breaks, will power alone etc but we all know that doesn't work.

    What I want to do is downgrade my graphics card to a point where games are literally unplayable; but the computer will function perfectly fine for office work since my wife uses it for her job.

    I will edit this post in a few minutes with my specs and hardware.

    Please dont reply if you're just going to tell me not do this, I'm trying to take control of my life in the best way I can see. I may even donate the parts I remove to someone who will love them like I used to.

    Edit: Ryzen 5 2600 16gb RAM ASROCK b450m pro4 Windows 10

    Let me know if you need any other parts for compatibility stuff.

    submitted by /u/RandomName1315
    [link] [comments]

    Build review for Ryzen 5 3600 setup!

    Posted: 06 May 2021 12:05 PM PDT

    Hi!

    I'm building my second PC and would like your thoughts on it!

    I'm keeping my old GPU (GTX 970) and will upgrade for an RTX when prices are better. I also keep my power supply and HDD/SSD listed below.

    Any comments are welcome! Thanks!

    [PCPartPicker Part List](https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nZL3Jf)

    Type|Item|Price

    :----|:----|:----

    **CPU** | [AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9nm323/amd-ryzen-5-3600-36-thz-6-core-processor-100-100000031box) |-

    **Motherboard** | [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dmGnTW/asus-tuf-gaming-x570-plus-wi-fi-atx-am4-motherboard-tuf-gaming-x570-plus-wi-fi) | $192.99 @ B&H

    **Memory** | [Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2TFKHx/crucial-ballistix-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3600-memory-bl2k8g36c16u4b) | $93.99 @ Amazon

    **Storage** | [Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yzfhP6/samsung-860-evo-1tb-25-solid-state-drive-mz-76e1t0bam) | $109.99 @ Best Buy

    **Storage** | [Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yzfhP6/samsung-860-evo-1tb-25-solid-state-drive-mz-76e1t0bam) | $109.99 @ Best Buy

    **Storage** | [Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yzfhP6/samsung-860-evo-1tb-25-solid-state-drive-mz-76e1t0bam) | $109.99 @ Best Buy

    **Storage** | [Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/mwrYcf/seagate-barracuda-computer-2-tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-st2000dm008) | $55.49 @ Newegg

    **Video Card** | [MSI GeForce GTX 970 4 GB GAMING Video Card](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2j4NnQ/msi-video-card-gtx970gaming4g) |-

    **Case** | [Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Y6Crxr/fractal-design-meshify-c-atx-mid-tower-case-fd-ca-mesh-c-bko-tg) | $97.89 @ B&H

    **Power Supply** | [Corsair CXM 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sCH323/corsair-power-supply-cx600m) |-

    | *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |

    | **Total** | **$770.33**

    | Generated by [PCPartPicker](https://pcpartpicker.com) 2021-05-06 15:01 EDT-0400 |

    submitted by /u/Liquidmetal7
    [link] [comments]

    Cant update windows 10 to 20H2

    Posted: 06 May 2021 10:56 AM PDT

    I've not been able to play games because they'll keep crashing or the frame rate constantly dips down so low the game becomes unplayable and I found out that this was being caused by the last windows update so I went to update it and it won't install the update. I'm getting error code 0xc1900204 and I've done nearly everything that's recommended to fix it but nothing has worked. It actually downloaded the quality updates and installed them but the feature update is refusing to install. And until I get it installed I won't be able to actually play games on my pc so what should I do?

    submitted by /u/averyuniqueuzername
    [link] [comments]

    Do I have to use a disc when installing an OS?

    Posted: 06 May 2021 12:42 PM PDT

    I plan to build a pc, but don't know if I need a disc to install the OS, or if I can just install it with a USB.

    submitted by /u/timesurfed
    [link] [comments]

    SSD endurance

    Posted: 06 May 2021 10:43 AM PDT

    Today I have bought 2TB NWMe FireCuda SSD 520 https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/internal-hard-drives/ssd/firecuda-ssd/. I am planning to use it for datascience because my RAM is not big enough and the SSD has pSLC mode.

    I have bought this SSD because of its 3600TBW lifetime - however my workload can writes up to 70TB per day to this SSD which will reach this threshold in less then 2 months.

    Anyway is there any chance that the SSD would survive 10x that threshold (36000TBW) or will it die soon after reaching 3600TBW?

    Is there a way to make this SSD pSLC only (capacity would be reduced to around 600GB which is enough for me) however according to wikipedia pSLC SSD can withstand many times more writes than TLC. This SSD uses TLC memory with pSLC caching for the burst data writes, however to my understanding it immediately starts dumping data written into pSLC cache into TLC mode to make the pSLC cache size the largest possible.

    submitted by /u/Arzenicx
    [link] [comments]

    whats the best 360 AIO cooler nowadays?

    Posted: 06 May 2021 01:18 PM PDT

    whats the best 360 AIO cooler nowadays?

    looking for an upgrade since i got a new case and can now have a 360 radiator, not only that but my kraken is starting to have some issues, mabye some air bubbles im not sure, but my temps will rise 10-20c extra and then i smack the tubes a few times and them temps go back to normal

    from what i have gathered and read its the Corsair H150i PRO?

    submitted by /u/zombies--
    [link] [comments]

    Best NVIDIA GPUs ?

    Posted: 06 May 2021 12:58 PM PDT

    Hey,

    I am thinking of building a new PC but I am unsure which GPU I should get.

    I compared some of them but it gets rather confusing pretty fast, like apparently the GTX 1080 is still better than a RTX 2060? Even tho the 2060 is newer. It would be really appreciated if someone could list the nVidia GPUs in order of worst to best since I am rather new to PC gaming.

    Also: F…k GPU prices atm

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/NelsonMunz
    [link] [comments]

    HELP: NVMe M2 SSD without M2 slot

    Posted: 06 May 2021 08:31 AM PDT

    Hopefully someone can help me. Thanks in advance!

    My son bought a NVMe M2 SSD. He doesn't seem to have a m2 slot on his motherboard. Is there a cable/adapter available to PCI-E 1 or PCI 1. Or perhaps to a SATA port?

    Will this one work? https://www.amazon.fr/MZHOU-Adaptateur-Support-Profil-Complet/dp/B07NSVNS1T

    submitted by /u/x-0-y-0
    [link] [comments]

    Gurgling/Rattling sound coming from what seems to be the radiator

    Posted: 06 May 2021 11:33 AM PDT

    There is a gurgling or rattling kind of sound coming from my radiator whenever I turn on my pc and it now it's pretty much non-stop. I've tried every solution I could find online from tilting the pc or trying to make the radiator higher than the pump but none of them work. I only got the pc about 6 months ago so idk what it is.

    submitted by /u/penguinnugget43
    [link] [comments]

    Upgraded from 960 to 3060, negligible (if any) improvements.

    Posted: 06 May 2021 12:25 PM PDT

    Finally managed to snag myself a 30 series card after probably 4-5 years on a 960, and was excited to try playing games beyond ultra low settings. Unfortunately in the (admittedly little) testing I've done, I've noticed that games are either running about the same, or weirdly, worse.

    I've installed video drivers, updated bios, checked power settings, but can't seem to figure what is up.

    Setup is as follows:

    GPU: RTX 3060 12GB

    CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x

    RAM: 16GB DDR4

    MOBO: MSI B450 Gaming Plus

    1080p60hz monitor

    In Cyberpunk (originally played on 960 with ~25 fps) I barely noticed an improvement if there was any, and I know it's more of a CPU game but it seems a little silly that this upgrade would yield so little results.

    Borderlands 3 feels worse? Could just be my bitterness talking, but I've noticed a ton more stuttering and freezes.

    Path of Exile is about the same but that game's a mess regardless.

    Last Epoch, no noticeable improvement.

    Admittedly DOOM seems to run fine, but as far as I can remember I was able to play that just fine (it's been a while)

    submitted by /u/CapitalOrange
    [link] [comments]

    Finally built my first PC! I appreciate the input

    Posted: 06 May 2021 01:46 PM PDT

    Built my first PC after getting some help through here, I appreciate the help and input from you guys! Been playing a few games and I've been having a blast using a PC again. If you wanna recommend any games, feel free!

    Sorry for the bad quality pic lol https://imgur.com/a/wwhGd7Z

    Ended up going with:
    Ryzen 5 3600
    x570 plus TUF gaming mobo
    Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB
    1070 G1 GPU
    600W DeepCool PSU
    Deepcool Mattrex case with 4 RGB fans included
    SN550 1TB SSD

    I know I probably should have gotten a bit better of a CPU however I had a budget to work with, and a lot of this stuff was a good price in my area. I'd say its overkill for the stuff I'm doing anyways, so I should be good for a while. Or until GPU's are back to normal lol. And yes I'm using the stock cooler however I don't plan to OC anytime soon, still a noob

    submitted by /u/Moist_Sheeets
    [link] [comments]

    Dream PC upgrade help

    Posted: 06 May 2021 12:02 PM PDT

    Hello All, I am planning on saving up for a PC upgrade as I have been using my current one for quite some time. I am not too knowlegeable when it comes to PC components and building. So all these parts I basically picked at random based on price and compatibility (there is one compatibility issue I found with the CPU and motherboard but Ill figure out how to deal with it later). I am planning on just moving my RAM and storage over so that is why they arent listed. Does this look like a potentially good build? Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

    PCPartPicker Part List

    Type Item Price
    CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor $306.33 @ Newegg
    CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler $39.10 @ Amazon
    Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste $4.95 @ Amazon
    Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard $178.00 @ Amazon
    Video Card Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card -
    Case Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case $94.99 @ Amazon
    Power Supply Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $124.99 @ Best Buy
    Case Fan Corsair AF120 (2018) 52 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack $44.99 @ Best Buy
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total $793.35
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-06 14:57 EDT-0400
    submitted by /u/Wagabon
    [link] [comments]

    PC won't power on after new gpu

    Posted: 06 May 2021 11:58 AM PDT

    Ok so my pc was working fine before swapping my 6800 with a 3090 temporarily for testing. I changed back to the 6800 but the pc won't post anymore. I checked the PSU and it is still working. Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/chandler_blonde
    [link] [comments]

    32 inch LG Monitor

    Posted: 06 May 2021 11:53 AM PDT

    I'm looking to get a 32 inch monitor primarily for gaming with an Xbox Series X and desktop/laptop work (word/excel etc). I'm looking at the LG ultrafine ergo and one of the LG 32 inch gaming monitors. I want 4K for the Xbox but am wondering if the uktrafine would be okay? Any experience with a new console and the 32 ultrafine panels?

    submitted by /u/DerptheUnwise
    [link] [comments]

    3090 with a 10600K for 1440p: is it a good match?

    Posted: 06 May 2021 07:26 AM PDT

    Hi everyone.

    I'm looking at getting a custom prebuilt PC from nzxt. Was hoping to get a 3080 (which they do not have), but there is a 3090 available, which I can speck out to cost around $3200. The best CPU they have to pair it with is a 10600K. I was wondering if a 3090 with a 10600K would cause any bottlenecks or if the combination of the two is no good. I'm primarily looking to game with a 1440p 240hz or 1080p 360hz monitor as I like to play a lot of shooters.

    My other option would be to pair a 10600K with a 3070, but I don't think that would hit the higher frame-rates I'm looking for.

    Any advice? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/bobertrads
    [link] [comments]

    Help: Torn between the X570 Tomahawk and the X570 Aorus Master

    Posted: 06 May 2021 11:44 AM PDT

    First time PC builder with a 6800XT and 5900x PC part picker list incomplete and can't decide on whether to get the Tomahawk or the Aorus Master.

    The $260 Tomahawk is appealing due to cost and VRM, but the $360 Aorus Master oozes build quality, better VRM (?) and has more M.2 slots for future flexibility.

    Can anyone chime in on what I'd be missing out on if I went with the Tomahawk instead of the Aorus Master?

    submitted by /u/smeagols-thong
    [link] [comments]

    Rtx 3060 ti crashes

    Posted: 06 May 2021 12:50 PM PDT

    So my setup looks like this: RTX 3060 ti (Gigabyte Eagle OC) Ryzen 5 2600 Asus B450 F Gaming GSkill something 3000 MHz Be Quiet Pure power 750 W Be quiet 150 tdp cooler And the Problem is: When I play Star Wars Battlefronts 2 or Half Life Alyx for more than 30-45 minutes my PC shuts of. It just goes black. The temperature of CPU and GPU are good with under 70 °C. Also the power supply is good enough with 750 W. Do you know why this is happening? And how can I stop it?

    submitted by /u/MrBene25
    [link] [comments]

    What cables do I need for 144hz @2k?

    Posted: 06 May 2021 07:24 AM PDT

    Hello, I'm nearing the end of my build and I'm trying to find a monitor that can support 144 and 1440p at the same time I've tried looking and all I find is 60hz at 4K with the monitor I chose it has display ports and hdmi.

    submitted by /u/imNotFunny95
    [link] [comments]

    How does this build look?

    Posted: 06 May 2021 12:35 PM PDT

    I do not want to buy a GPU in today's market so I am going to stick with my GTX 1060 3GB for now. Once prices get back to normal (or close to that) I am going to start looking for something like an RX 6700XT/6800, not sure yet. I also already have a nice 750W PSU.

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nwHCQD

    submitted by /u/Inverted_Ice
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment