• Breaking News

    Wednesday, May 5, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - May 05, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - May 05, 2021


    Simple Questions - May 05, 2021

    Posted: 05 May 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I have no one to share my joy with irl but I just redid my gpu thermal paste and my temps dropped by 10-15 degrees!

    Posted: 04 May 2021 05:40 PM PDT

    I mainly play warzone and recently my temps have skyrocketed. I used to play at around 72 degrees, but since the new season its been hovering around 80 while playing and my fans are maxed out and my pc sounds like a jet engine. I figured I would give the thermal paste a shot and that did the trick! I now play in peace and quiet at a cool 63-66 degrees 😎

    submitted by /u/hawley088
    [link] [comments]

    I fixed a broken laptop and i felt like a repair god

    Posted: 05 May 2021 02:08 AM PDT

    I don't have anyone to share, so i guess i'm sharing here, i hope i'm not breaking any rule.

    The laptop had a dead screen, full of virus and the keyboard didn't work. The owner gifted to me the laptop since she was throwing it away; she also said that she took it to a repair shop but they didn't fix it since they told her it was impossible to repair. (She also paid them 90 euros for the service, i joke you not)

    First i tried to connect it to and external monitor to see if only the LCD was broken but it didn't show any life on the other monitor too. I took it apart, redid all the connection, changed thermal paste but still the didn't show any screen. I tried to change the RAM sticks, clear the CMOS, etc but also that didn't work. So i tried to re-open it again for the last time and noticed that the CPU wasn't soldered like in many laptop and wasn't sitting properly in the socket.

    And boom! After sitting the CPU properly the screen showed up with no problem.

    After that i wiped out the hard disk using a virtual machine to avoid the viruses from spreading, and installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 (the laptop was still using Windows 8). The thermals were out of scale, like 90-100 degree on idle, so i had to open it again and found a little monster of dust and dog hairs inside the fan, right next to the heat sink that was blocking all the airflow. After clearing that the thermal sinked to 50 degree on idle. For the keyboard i couldn't understand why it didn't work properly, but after trying another charger by chance it fixed by itself, so i guessed that the charger and battery were old and didn't output enough energy to the sistem, also the old battery was overheating; i bought a new battery and charger and just like that i have a new laptop for 60 euros!

    I had an old asus running an i3 2350m with no graphics besides the one integrated on the CPU and 4 GB of RAM that let me play only LoL at 25-30 fps at very low graphics. The new laptop run an i7 3630qm, AMD Radeon HD 7670M graphics and 8 GB of RAM. I'm now playing at 100-120 fps with no stuttering and it's beautiful. I can finally play other games and i still can't believe it.

    My only experience before this was watching Louis Rossman and LTT on youtube for like a year, i literally didn't knew anything and had to learn everything.

    That was 2 months ago, from that success sparkled my interest in fixing and building, i already troubleshooted and fixed another 2 systems (a laptop and a desktop) of my friends and i plan to continue this as a hobby.

    submitted by /u/nostradarius
    [link] [comments]

    I have the 4th fastest RTX 3060 in the world

    Posted: 05 May 2021 06:23 AM PDT

    I just picked up an ASUS TUF 3060 from Microcenter the other day. It comes out the box overclocked, but I overclocked it even farther and did some Port Royal benchmarking and on the first try I am #1 with a 9900k and a 3060, and #7 on the leaderboard for any setup with a 3060. My place on the board is #7, but first place guy has 4 out of 7 of those spots, so that makes my 3060 the 4th fastest. Push me down the board, guys!! 3dmark is only $4.50 on steam right now! Overclock your 3060's and get to benchmarking! I'm Mr Poptartz on the leaderboard.

    3D Mark Results

    submitted by /u/MrJayFour
    [link] [comments]

    Just wanna let everyone know how dumb i am

    Posted: 05 May 2021 06:21 AM PDT

    So i built my first mini-ITX last night with a rog strix x570 and the h210i case. Everything was great: everything fit well and I ticked off all the important steps without issue. I go to turn on my new pc, it lights up well, but once I hit the power button i noticed my chassis fans weren't running. I think "oh thats weird but it's probably fine for now". I hook up to a monitor and get the boot logo. Then things get weirder. We've got everyone's favorite "American Megatrends" screen telling me that i need to load BIOS to reset settings blah blah blah and something about switching to RAID (which i'm not using). I cycle it dozens of times tweaking setting and losing my mind. I look up a bunch of posts and you would think i'd make the connection when people were talking about dead CMOS batteries or using the short to reset the CMOS. Nope. Only an hour later when i was reading through the manual and checking my wiring did i notice that i plugged in USB 2.0 cable for CAM on the h210i case into THE SHORT FOR CMOS like an idiot. I plug it into the right place like a normal person would and low an behold my fans WORK and my BIOS stops acting like ITS A BRAND NEW WORLD ON EVERY BOOT.

    Yes it boots now and I'll be loading windows 10 on it tonight.

    submitted by /u/Irtotallynotrobot
    [link] [comments]

    After 2 years of owning a 144hz monitor, turns out I was running 60hz the ENTIRE time

    Posted: 04 May 2021 07:16 PM PDT

    Ya so dumb me bought a 27" 144hz AOC curved monitor about 2 years ago. This entire time I thought it was doing 144hz out of the box. Well as I was going through some of my display options, I noticed that it was set at 60hz after all this time! Hopefully no one is in the same boat as me, and didn't know that you need to set 144hz for you monitor.

    submitted by /u/dcolorado
    [link] [comments]

    Should I get one 16gb stick of ram or 2 8gb sticks of ram?

    Posted: 05 May 2021 12:45 PM PDT

    Which one would be better?

    submitted by /u/Resetnames
    [link] [comments]

    When I put in my Windows installation media, this came up https://imgur.com/UDboOM9

    Posted: 05 May 2021 11:15 AM PDT

    I have 2x8gb ram and want 16gb more, my cooler gets in the way of one of my slots so can I buy one 16gb stick?

    Posted: 05 May 2021 12:20 PM PDT

    Title, thanks!

    Msi B450 gaming plus

    R5 2600

    Vega 56

    Current ram: 2x8gb 3000MHz C. Ballistix sport

    Cooler GAMMAXX gte

    New Ram C. Ballistix 3600MHz 2x8GB

    submitted by /u/Rob_WRX
    [link] [comments]

    Gonna buy an HDMI 2.1 display (with no DP) but I got an RTX 2000 series for now

    Posted: 05 May 2021 08:23 AM PDT

    So I'm planning on getting an OLED CX for daily use, including gaming and movies. I've been reading online however that the bandwidth is gonna be limited from my current GPU (2070S) and I won't be able to do 4k HDR @ 120fps. Obviously my GPU can't even handle that anyway for games, which are probably the only media that could have that, but since I'll have mixed usage I'm wondering about how it's gonna work.

    Let's say I wanna play games at 1440p, I should be able to do it at 120FPS with full HDR right? But if I'm browsing on my desktop using 4k at 120hz (HDR won't matter for just browsing so I imagine that's gonna work too right?) will everything just work fine once I open a game and set a lower resolution? I suppose window mode won't work for this, but full-screen 1440p is not compatible with 4K I believe. Do I have to first open up the nvidia options and change resolution for the whole desktop?

    Has anyone had experience doing that kind of mixed usage and switching between "modes"?

    PS: I plan on getting a 3000 series in a few months, but until then I want to have the best use that I can still

    submitted by /u/Estanho
    [link] [comments]

    Is it worth it to buy a 1050ti? I found a listing for one that’s close to it’s msrp.

    Posted: 05 May 2021 03:36 AM PDT

    Like the title says I found a gtx 1050ti listing for close to msrp at $159. With the current state of gpu prices I'm honestly considering getting one because I want to build an entry level gaming pc in order to join my friends who migrated to pc gaming before gpu prices skyrocketed.

    submitted by /u/Kragomoore
    [link] [comments]

    RGB Help

    Posted: 05 May 2021 12:51 PM PDT

    Ok posted this either here or pcmr and never got a response so I do it again. I have a Lian Li pcO11D Razer edition. The razer edition has its own rgb all around the case which when I chose it was the reason I got it over the original, I like colors don't shoot me.

    I also have Corsair fans and an h100i RGB Platinum 240mm, which take up the usb 2.0 spots. The case lighting needs a usb 2.0 spot but my mobo only has the two (b550 a-pro).

    Do I get a splitter? I was thinking about it and I know they exist but idk if a splitter can mess up the functionality. Or is it possible to usb 2.0 on a different port? It seems highly unlikely but if it's possible then I'd love to know. Or if you guys have any other solutions, I'd love to hear them.

    submitted by /u/choakley
    [link] [comments]

    PC restarting while playing games and CPU stress testing

    Posted: 05 May 2021 12:45 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I just built my first PC and it works like a dream... except it occasionally shuts down and restarts while gaming.
    The specs are (all brand new components):
    CPU: Intel i5 11600k (with Vetroo V5 Air cooler)
    Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B560-I Gaming Wifi
    RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200MHz DDR4)
    GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3060 Eagle OC
    Storage: Crucial P2 1TB M.2 NVMe
    PSU: Silverstone SX-700 G

    I've tested on 3 games so far. Rocket League has worked fine every time. However, Watch Dogs: Legion and Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order both crash after about 15 mins to an hour. Both have done so twice. When the system crashes, it doesn't stutter or slow down beforehand, it simply freezes for a few seconds and then completely shuts off (not even case power light stays on) and then restarts itself.

    Things I have tried so far:

    • Drivers are fully up-to-date.
    • Monitoring temps. Nothing seems to be overheating and definitely hasn't exceeded 70C when it has crashed during gameplay.
    • CPU stress testing. This reproduces the crash and restart every time (run about 6 times now). I have been using Prime95 first with the blended test and then with the small FFTs tests. Small FFTs shut it down more quickly (5-30mins in) but each blended test shuts down well within an hour. Also doesn't appear to bring up anything useful in Windows Event Viewer (just "critical: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.") Also been monitoring this with HWinfo logs and most of the time the CPU maxes out about 75/80C but the last couple of runs it was hitting 100C and throttling. But I don't believe heating is the issue as it was crashing down in the 60s to begin with. VRMs also peaking at under 45C so don't believe there are any problems there.
    • GPU stress testing. First tested on Unigine Superpostion - no problems at all. Then ran for an hour on FurMark and again there were no problems (may test again to see if I just got lucky). GPU temp never exceeded 71C.
    • MemTest64. Ran this twice which brought up no errors.
    • Updated the BIOS to v. 0503 from v. 0403. This made no difference in Prime95.
    • Reset XMP in the BIOS. This made no difference in Prime95.

    To me this suggests there is an issue with power delivery to the CPU. But the GPU stress testing suggests that the fault may not be with the PSU itself (let me know if this may be wrong). I feel it's unlikely to be caused by the CPU itself so that leaves the motherboard. I don't really know what else to try. I don't really have any components I can swap in but I may be able to try the PSU from my 10 year old desktop (very dusty and may be underpowered).
    It may be worth knowing that I had a similar problem with my old desktop up until I stopped using it about 5 years ago. However, I believe that was BSOD but mainly occured while gaming as well. I don't remember the details though.

    Has anyone got any suggestions on how I could troubleshoot any further or if I might have missed something? Is it possible something as simple as a dodgy fan is tripping something maybe?

    I appreciate any help anyone can give, cheers.

    submitted by /u/No-Asparagus5833
    [link] [comments]

    Sugestion for cpu

    Posted: 05 May 2021 12:35 PM PDT

    Going with the AMD Cpu Got about 150€ what should i get, was thinking of the ryzen 3 3300x

    submitted by /u/zzeeppyyZiP
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrading my Motherboard and CPU

    Posted: 05 May 2021 09:38 AM PDT

    Hello all,

    My current specs are:
    EVGA RTX 3080 ftw3 ultra
    Intel I7-9700k
    MSI Z370 SLI PLUS ATX

    Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200
    NZXT Kraken X63 280mm - RL-KRX63-01 - AIO RGB CPU Liquid Cooler

    I am looking to upgrade my CPU, and therefore require a new Motherboard. The question is do I switch to AMD or go for the I9-10900k? I know the gains are not huge based on my current build but I just want the best I can get. I've heard mixed things about Intel vs AMD.

    submitted by /u/Compliment_Whore
    [link] [comments]

    Can you use a wqhd 240hz on a 980ti?

    Posted: 05 May 2021 10:37 AM PDT

    question above, just got a new monitor but don't get the 240hz option and i get a rainbow effect at 200hz. My monitor is the AW2721D.

    Thx for help

    submitted by /u/p0ixon
    [link] [comments]

    Getting more ram for my MSI B450 Gaming plus MoBo. Currently have 2x8gb C. Ballistix 3000MHz and getting 2x8gb more of C. Ballistix 3600MHz

    Posted: 05 May 2021 11:55 AM PDT

    The 3600MHz was the same price as the 3200MHz (about £75) so thought might as well.

    I'll probably have to swap the fan on my GAMMAXX to make it all fit but this should be ok right? It's got 4 ram slots, anything else I need to worry about?

    CPU: r5 2600

    GPU: vega 56

    submitted by /u/doug_on_a_rug
    [link] [comments]

    Good fan hub for noctua fans

    Posted: 05 May 2021 10:13 AM PDT

    I have 5 fans (1 120mm & 4 140mm) and I don't think my motherboard (asrock b450m pro 4) has enough plug ins to plug in all 5 fans with the splitter that came with the fans.

    submitted by /u/Walter2025
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to upgrade my current build

    Posted: 05 May 2021 03:59 AM PDT

    Yo,

    I'm looking to upgrade my Ryzen 7 2700x and GTX 1660 in the near future. At the moment I have my eyes set on a RTX 3070 setup. Is there a CPU out there that will pair well with the 3070? I also want to get back into content creation and streaming ideally on one PC.

    What I currently have:

    The R7 2700x

    GTX 1660 (no TI or Super just regular)

    B450 Tomahawk Max MOBO

    2x8 3000mhz corsair vengeance ram

    M.2 WD BLUE 500gb (Boot for windows)

    2TB Seagate HDD (I was thinking of swapping this out for a 1-2tb SSD)

    Seasonic S12III 550w

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/thezanyo
    [link] [comments]

    2 Concerns About Ryzen 7 5800x

    Posted: 05 May 2021 03:33 AM PDT

    Building a PC and got Ryzen 7 5800x for a reasonable price and have 2 questions about it.

    1. It came with no box. Just the protective cover. It has a few fingerprints on the side with no pins. Wondering how to get it off.

    2. There is a sticker with SS being printed on it and 53 which hand written in the middle of cpu on the side with the pins. Is it normal and does it effect performance.

    Got it from a local store by getting it delivered. It most like have been used but no pins bent. I will check if it has been overclocked after finishing up my system in about a week. Just these two questions.

    Picture for reference.

    EDIT: I contacted the retailer about it and they said that it's a mark for them to identify that it's their product and it is also to show the date it's has been bought for the 6 month warranty they provide.

    submitted by /u/bubblevz
    [link] [comments]

    Installed new RAM and changed out Thermal Paste, now PC randomly freezes.

    Posted: 05 May 2021 01:33 PM PDT

    Hi /r/buildapc,

    I decided to up my RAM from 16GB(2x8) to 32GB(2x16) today and after being a bit displeased with the temps on my CPU I also decided to apply new thermal paste.

    After booting up I went to check if the RAM was recognised in MSINFO and sure enough it now read 32GB RAM. Great! I started a game of Dota with HWmonitor running, just to see how my CPU temp was doing. It was also doing much better.

    Suddenly after about 6-7 minutes of playing my computer just froze. nothing was responding and I had to hold the powerbutton to turn off the PC.

    I booted back up, relaunched Dota and HWmonitor, and changed Dota2 to windowed so that I could monitor the temps while I was playing, thinking I could have messed up somehow with the thermal paste. The PC froze again and I took this picture with my phone: https://i.imgur.com/fc8Wjem.jpeg .

    As you can see, neither usage or temperatures should have caused the freeze.

    Here are my specs:

    mobo: ASROCK Z390 extreme4

    New RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 3200mhz

    CPU: i7-9700k @3.60GHz (not clocked)

    PSU: Cooler Master G550M, 550W

    Since my temps were fine, I went to doublecheck if my new RAM and mobo was compatible and it is.

    I then checked in BIOS to see if the RAM was recognized there by the mobo and it was.

    I ran "Windows Memory Diagnostic" which gave me no results.

    The RAM is in the same slot as my previous RAM and it should be in the correct slots for dual channel.

    Any tips at all would be much appreciated because I have no idea what could cause this or how to troubleshoot it really.. The machine idles fine, but as soon as I have played a game for 5-10 minutes it freezes.

    submitted by /u/mudgonzo
    [link] [comments]

    Help with choosing the i5 10600k

    Posted: 05 May 2021 01:25 PM PDT

    Hello, I'm thinking of purchasing an i5 10600k, the motherboard is a MSI h410i pro wifi. Can I put an overclockable CPU (with the CPU cooler being a ARTIC Freezer 7 X) in a not overclockable motherboard? Should I get the normal 10600 instead? I'm not interested at all in overclocking, the 10600 costs about 10€ more.

    submitted by /u/ThatAlecs
    [link] [comments]

    Why don't I love my mechanical keyboard?

    Posted: 05 May 2021 01:20 PM PDT

    I have a Corsair k70 low profile keyboard with rapidfire cherry low profile switches. Coming from normal keyboard, i thought it would be better. The amount of effort it takes to register a key stroke is like REALLY small. So much that i constantly mistype and it's borderline impossible to type on consistently without mistakes. membrane keys have a pressure threshold that it takes in order to actually fully press the key. The keys on the corsair have a linear pressure needed which is much more difficult to type and game on for me.

    Am i just stupid or what? Is this how all mechanical keybaords are? If so, i much prefer crappy membrane keyboards from "regular" desktops.

    submitted by /u/BlatantPizza
    [link] [comments]

    Does a pcie gen 3.0 gpu work on a pcie gen 4.0 motherboard ?

    Posted: 05 May 2021 08:21 AM PDT

    my mic don't record and make static noises

    Posted: 05 May 2021 09:32 AM PDT

    I don't know how or why but recently, I just found out today that my mic doesn't record anything and making static noise, I tried everything,...

    I tried reinstalling the driver, plugging in another jack, check the window setting about accessing the microphone, check if it was muted.

    still, it doesn't work out

    I'm using a headphones from Asus, Asus tuf h3

    submitted by /u/Vuhunganh777
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment