• Breaking News

    Tuesday, April 20, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 20, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 20, 2021


    Simple Questions - April 20, 2021

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Understanding your Ryzen CPU, how its designed, temps, coolers, PBO, etc.

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 06:40 PM PDT

    I'm seeing a lot of misconceptions of Ryzen cpu's lately and just want to make a post about it so i can link people to it in the future.

     

    Ryzen CPU's are designed to run hot: https://i.imgur.com/3hkp7dV.jpg

    I see tons of people worried about temps on their Ryzens, if its designed to run at certain temperatures, you should trust that and have faith in the product you purchased. Heres a neat video showing that heat and heat transfer are very different things, silicon is very durable stuff: https://youtu.be/Pp9Yax8UNoM

     

    Many people come from intel cpus and are surprised when using ryzen and the temps are often higher, read on and have some faith in ryzen cpu's design.

    Ryzen is designed to auto overclock itself, thats why you see a base clock and a boost clock listed. When PBO(performance boost overdrive) or auto oc is enabled in the bios, Ryzen will automatically regulate itself to provide the best performance possible from the cpu, it is very efficient at doing so, it will always try to reach the height of its boost clock and will only throttle once it hits its target temperature threshold, which is often around 80-90c.

     

    For example, me and my friend both have a 5900x in our PC's, the only difference is he has a 360mm AIO and i have a wraith prism on mine. When we stress test the cpu, with PBO enabled, both our temperatures hit 85-90c, the only difference is his boost clock is able to reach over 5Ghz speeds, while mine caps around 4.75Ghz. So when people are asking if a new cooler will bring their Ryzen temps down, its not exactly how that works.

     

    The reason it works this way is because as explained above, Ryzen with PBO enabled regulates itself, its constantly changing voltages and clocks between all the cores to reach its maximum efficiency before hitting its target temp after once it does, it'll start to throttle. If you are still uncomfortable with Ryzens designed temperatures, then you can optionally disable PBO/Auto OC and do a manual all-core clock and set a manual voltage, that way the voltage is locked and you can control what temperature you feel comfortable around, in this case.. a better cooler WILL help. if we locked the 5900x at 4.04Ghz @ 1.08v on a wraith prism, you might never go above 65c for example, but on an AIO you might see temps even lower than that, its because the voltage is locked and PBO isnt flucuating the voltages anymore, so it makes sense that 2 different coolers will have varying temps at the same voltage.

     

    Hope this helps explain a few things, its up to you to decide if you prioritize speed or temperature.

     

    EDIT: didn't think this would get as much attention as it has, something I might as well mention is to look into offsetting the voltage or undervolting with ryzen. because of the nature of ryzen and how it boosts, you can actually negative offset the voltage which gives you lower temps, but may see a higher clock boost due to the lower temps creating a situation where you're undervolting and lowering temps but getting better performance because of the auto oc tech lol. there's tons of topics on it from a google search, definitely worth reading into.

    submitted by /u/GrieverXVII
    [link] [comments]

    So my brother gave me his $5000 old gaming PC from 2011 and I’m not sure what to do.

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 04:54 AM PDT

    So my brother told me some of the specs of his PC:

    Graphics card: Nvidia 590 SLI

    Professor: Intel i7-3960 Extreme Edition

    RAM: 4x8 Gb (32 Gb) Corsair RGB

    PSU: Corsair AX1200

    I'm not quite sure what to do now since he told me it all of sudden stopped working 3 years ago and he didn't solve the issue. I remember he said it was a power supply issue and I want to know if there's any chance I can salvage or fix this PC.

    submitted by /u/karimas10
    [link] [comments]

    I am very scared, I might be in big trouble

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 09:58 AM PDT

    I was trying to get my memory to 3600 MHz because it's it's specification but when I tried to turn on the computer it got stuck with d1 code and I have now been trying to flash the BIOS for half an hour but it will not finish. I am using a 5600x on a strix x570-E What can I do? Last time I had to flash the BIOS (because it wasn't compatible with my processor) it took like 5 minutes. Thank you in advance for your responses.

    Edit: I have cleared the CMOS and now it works thanks to everyone who responded

    submitted by /u/Fedrico03
    [link] [comments]

    11th gen intel secretly unlocked?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 08:30 AM PDT

    I went to a friend's house to help him build his pc that had an i5 11400 and a b560 steel legend from Asrock. I was poking around in the BIOS looking for xmp settings and I saw that there were options for manual core frequencies and manual cpu voltages. I have never built intel before so I'm not exactly sure, but shouldn't that cpu be locked, and not have the ability to have manual frequencies set?

    submitted by /u/DBLSAA
    [link] [comments]

    New SSD not showing up in BIOS or Disk Management

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 11:23 AM PDT

    I have an MSI B450 Pro-M2, and I tried installing a new WD Green SSD. It isn't showing up in the BIOS or Disk Management. I tried different SATA cables/ports, different power cables, switching from AHCI to RAID and then back, made sure the SATA drives were enabled, and nothing seems to work. I assumed it was DOA, so I had Amazon send me a replacement. Same damn issue.

    Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/LobsterJohnson34
    [link] [comments]

    Is my B450 motherboard compatible with a 3200hz ram

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 12:26 PM PDT

    I have a B450 motherboard with ryzen 5 3400g with vega 11rx integrated graphics card. I had one stick of ram (2666hz) and I am planning to buy another stick 8GB ddr4 3200hz ( I know they will both run at 2666 but nevermind i will buy another stick 3200 soon). Is it compatible and can I use ram of speed 3200hz with my specs?

    submitted by /u/Valorion_
    [link] [comments]

    Pc randomly doesn’t follow fan curve

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 11:08 AM PDT

    I've ran into an issue recently where sometimes my pc just doesn't follow the fan curve I have set for my cpu and gpu/ case fans. I was just playing RDR2 and my cpu went up to 80° as the fan on the heat sync didn't kick up once it past 50 and the case fans didn't ramp up either. Any ideas why?

    submitted by /u/Euan-S
    [link] [comments]

    Congratulations to the Winners of our Intel Rocket Lake "Ultimate Spring PC Build" Challenge!

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 02:18 PM PDT

    Following our hotly contested Intel "Ultimate Spring PC Build Competition" we're pleased to announce the following winners:

    The Grand Prize Winner receiving an Intel® Core™ i9 11900K, Z590 Motherboard and 16Gb RAM and some Intel merch is /u/modernmovements - so big congratulations to them.
    First Place and a fantastic Intel® Core™ i7 11700K, Z590 Motherboard + 16GB RAM package goes to /u/TacoOfGod
    Equal First Place also winning an Intel® Core™ i7 11700K, Z590 Motherboard and 16GB RAM is /u/ivtechie

    We want to thank everyone who took part, it was a great competition and commiserations to all who put the effort in - Better luck next time! And of course huge thanks to Intel for putting up such a great prize pool to mark the launch of their latest generation of CPUs, and /u/lexhoyos42 for all his work for this competition and the intel AMA. Thanks guys!

    submitted by /u/OolonCaluphid
    [link] [comments]

    Best things for dusting a pc?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 01:01 PM PDT

    I'm looking for the best things to help remove dust from a pc, canned air dusters are great for pc's, but not so much for the environment (since they contain HFC's). Have any of you used any electronic dusters or vacuums that you'd recommend? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/eevee047
    [link] [comments]

    new pc mic won't work

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 10:24 AM PDT

    built my own pc about a month ago, no issues so far, the only thing that refuses to work is my mic. my actual headphones work fine and i know the mic on them work as well, when plugged into other devices at least. i've also watched god knows how many youtube videos about fixing a mic and none of it is working.

    i'm using the regular apple earbuds. motherboard is an asus prime b450m-a. apps have access to use my microphone. checked the drivers and they seem to be updated.

    anyone got any suggestions 😔?

    submitted by /u/animetiddieluvr69
    [link] [comments]

    Please Help

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 11:04 AM PDT

    First of all I would like to apologize for the possible text wall. I am on mobile.

    So firstly, I am a gamer. I've had my ps5 for about 5 months now and I love it. But... it's not enough. I want to switch to PC (for a multitude of reasons that I won't go into right now). However, I AM LOST. I don't know ANYTHING about computers, and I have no idea if a PC is good or not based off of its specs. Could someone build a PC for me with the parts? Here's my list:

    1. I have a budget of $2,000 USD.

    2. I play games like Apex Legends (my main game), Overwatch, DayZ, and would like to run them with no problems at whatever a "good" FPS is.

    3. I already have a monitor, (which apparently is 144Hz???), a mouse and keyboard, and mouse pad (all Razer brand if that matters) so peripherals are pretty much done.

    4. I don't care about "loudness." As long as the PC can cool itself and doesn't explode, I am literally fine with that.

    5. I don't care about brands as long as they work well together.

    6. It really doesn't have to look "nice" with all the RGB stuff; I just want to switch and to do it quickly.

    I totally understand there's a (GPU?/CPU?) shortage and I am willing to wait to order the parts necessary but also wouldn't mind if someone could just find the parts from a Best Buy and I could order them through there. I am totally sorry if this completely out of line or the wrong sub. This was all just a spur of the moment kind of thing. Thank you nonetheless!

    submitted by /u/FlowwLikeWater
    [link] [comments]

    Does the boost clocking on AMD CPUs make them slightly better suited for water cooling than Intel?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 01:41 PM PDT

    I read this brilliant writeup about AMD CPUs and it made me wonder if the Ryzen's ability to boost clock doesn't lend itself to being able to get the quicker cooling ability that water can offer. I think most would agree water cooling is more "responsive" and it might be a better application where temperatures would spike or fluctuate more than with, say an Intel.

    Sorry if this is crazy talk, this is probably one of the more complicated things I've tried to figure out so I might just be totally off.

    submitted by /u/ManInBlack829
    [link] [comments]

    Gaming PC build - feedback needed

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 11:53 AM PDT

    \** UPDATE **\**

    I said Ryzen 5 3700X I meant to add Ryzen 7 3700X

    I'm updating my current gaming rig. I currently have an i5 4690K, 16GB RAM, 128gb SSD and 1TB HDD.

    I'm reusing my case, and my GTX 1050 TI 4GB OC edition.

    New parts are as follows:

    Ryzen 5 3700X

    MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max

    WD 1TB SN550 Internal NVMe M.2 SSD

    Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB

    My question is, will I have any major issues with bottlenecking? I don't want to spend a fortune on a new card (yet) as they're very pricy.

    submitted by /u/Jscott645
    [link] [comments]

    Drive configuration for resizable bar support

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 10:40 AM PDT

    So a couple years ago I bought a pre-built computer with a one terabyte hard drive (and OEM windows) configured for MBR, I bought a two terabyte hard drive for games which I'm pretty sure is also MBR. I have a 3060 and I already updated my motherboard BIOS but I didn't realize the drives need to be GPT. So I decided to put off do anything for a week or two because I'm upgrading to an SSD and I want to know what the best way to fix this problem is when I go to set up my SSD as my boot drive, I imagine I can't just clone over my hard drive because it's MBR right? Would the best option be to clone my hard drive onto my SSD and then use MBR2GPT on it and keep my hard drive as a back up incase something breaks?

    submitted by /u/imabird99
    [link] [comments]

    Will Strix RTX3090 physically fit on Lian Li O11 D Vertical GPU Bracket or is 'incompatible' on Amazon listing just referring to PCIe 3.0-v-4.0 ?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 06:20 AM PDT

    Will receive most of the parts for my new PC this week

    (O11 Dynamic XL Black/5900x/Strix X570/4x8GB Corsair RGB Pro 3600 CL16/1TB 980 Pro NVME gen 4/2TB 970 Evo+ NVME Gen 3/Strix RTX3090)

    as well as an €800 box of other bits ordered from OCUK

    (Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Cappellix 360mm AIO/9x Corsair QL120 fans/Corsair iCUE Commander Pro/Lian Li Strimmer + Triple 8pin).

    For both aesthetic and as it turns out Memory Junction temp reasons its advantageous to mount my Strix RTX3090 in the Vertical position in this case where its shown off but importantly where the bottom 3x 120mm fans in this case blow cool outside intake air up the front of the card into the fans and up the back of the card across the backplate helping to cool the rear Memory chips. I already have Thermalright 8 w/mk Thermal pads on order.

    I am about to order the Lian Li Vertical GPU bracket for this case from OCUK as they have plenty in stock but I need to check one thing. On the Amazon listing it says this bracket is not compatible with the RTX3080/3090. Is that just a PCIe 3.0 -v- 4.0 Riser thing or is it a physical reason these cards won't fit? I thought PCIe 3.0 had zero performance hit on even a 3090?

    submitted by /u/ca1ibos
    [link] [comments]

    Am I being overpriced?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 12:51 PM PDT

    Am I being overpriced buying an MSI 960 for 160 dollars? btw I'm new here

    submitted by /u/Kenxxboy
    [link] [comments]

    Building Dad a pc for music production

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 12:18 PM PDT

    My dad wants to build a pc for music as his current 2013 mac isnt up to the task. Thoughts on parts?

    submitted by /u/Purplexed69
    [link] [comments]

    Best monitor under £200

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 08:11 AM PDT

    I'm getting my first pc and need to get a monitor I have seen other posts about this but they are all quite old. Wanting something 144hz was looking at the asus vg249q and the aoc 24g2. What are your reccomendations?

    submitted by /u/Ossian911
    [link] [comments]

    ssd heat pad got a dent in it

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 02:08 PM PDT

    i pressed too hard when unscrewing it and now it got a dent in it, will this effect pref? Also the ssd sticker upside down for some reason

    submitted by /u/Vetrix1996
    [link] [comments]

    How to add a 4th fan to a set of 3

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 02:08 PM PDT

    I have these fans. It's a three pack that comes with two splitters, one for PWM power and one for RGB. https://www.amazon.com/Pccooler-120mm-Case-3M120HALO-Silent/dp/B081F47CNY/ref=pd_bxgy_img_3/137-9794898-2498446?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B081F47CNY&pd_rd_r=1ca18809-9110-4500-bbcf-df12670d4495&pd_rd_w=AFJzF&pd_rd_wg=G7l8n&pf_rd_p=fd3ebcd0-c1a2-44cf-aba2-bbf4810b3732&pf_rd_r=WY15B8RAMKN2D72MW78D&refRID=WY15B8RAMKN2D72MW78D&th=1

    I also purchased one more fan by the same company to get 4 total fans. https://www.amazon.com/Pccooler-120mm-Case-3M120HALO-Silent/dp/B08CDF1TMD/ref=pd_bxgy_img_3/137-9794898-2498446?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B081F47CNY&pd_rd_r=1ca18809-9110-4500-bbcf-df12670d4495&pd_rd_w=AFJzF&pd_rd_wg=G7l8n&pf_rd_p=fd3ebcd0-c1a2-44cf-aba2-bbf4810b3732&pf_rd_r=WY15B8RAMKN2D72MW78D&refRID=WY15B8RAMKN2D72MW78D&th=1

    Problem is that the original pack only has splitters for 3 fans. I can plug the 4th fan into another fan header on the mobo and I have power, but there's no RGB as the RGB splitter is full. Since the splitter for the RGB cables is just a 3 pin, I was wondering what I needed to get the 4th fan to light up, and if I could just purchase another 3 pin splitter and, well, split the splitter... like this. https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Splitter-Connector-Sleeved-Adapter/dp/B00DYQSZ68/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=pc+fan+splitter+3+pin&qid=1618950777&sr=8-5#customerReviews

    Would that fry my computer? I only want to light up the 4th fan lol. From what I can see, for the price these fans are great, but they don't offer a way to add more fans to a set. Seems they are replacements, not additions.

    Here is a video in which the guy shows closeups of all cables and pins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsqo2K6OuNE

    submitted by /u/litcheese
    [link] [comments]

    Gigabyte EZ-Raid vs Windows 10 Raid 0 (stripped volume) with 3x Intel 660P 1TB drives

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 11:54 AM PDT

    Hey all, got a question that I can't seem to find a straight forward answer to; I've got three Intel 660P, 1TB, NVMe drives paired with a Gigabyte Z490 Ultra in Raid 0 using Window's "stripped volume". However, I'm currently formatting them and thought now would be a good time to try and use Gigabyte's EZ-Raid through the BIOS. Are there any advantages to using the on-board raid function of my MOBO, or will I not notice any real difference? I'm using the three drives for gaming and media, not as my boot drive. Any advice would be appreciated!

    tl;dr,

    Worth bothering with Gigabyte EZ-Raid feature or stick to Window's stripped volume?

    submitted by /u/halfxero
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone know of any dual compartment horizontally mounted motherboard box style cases?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 02:01 PM PDT

    Recently saw this case in a video

    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00F4ISP0K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_ZS401Z53CSTE5C1A664C

    And it looked awesome! Has a really cool design where the mobo is positioned horizontally in its own dedicated compartment for maximum airflow with hdds positioned underneath and out of the way. I know this is more designed as a test station, but I really liked the look of the design. It's just a bit different from the usual atx tower as well.

    I also love the idea of a horizontally mounted motherboard, it just seems... Safer lol.

    Has anyone else come across this sort of thing before? (I believe this exact model is no longer being produced)

    submitted by /u/ash2307
    [link] [comments]

    Build a gaming pc or buy a Mac

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 02:01 PM PDT

    Forgive me if this is a silly question, but I have had MacBooks and iMacs for years now mostly the only computer I've owned. And I play games on it like Sims(it doesn't run well and often crashes) and I want to start playing more games on a new computer but I'm torn between building one (my first time) or just buying the new iMac that was released. So my question is is the new iMac good enough in terms of processing and graphics to buy as my gaming computer or should I just build a new one. TIA!!

    submitted by /u/Soontobeacnhplayer
    [link] [comments]

    Finally found the problem with my build after 4 weeks of on and off troubleshooting

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 10:12 AM PDT

    I took my motherboard, RAM, PSU, CPU, and graphics card to the tech guy at my local computer store. Turns out the problem was not a DOA motherboard as I originally thought.

    Turns out I need to enable compatibility mode (CSM) on the PCI express slot in BIOS for this motherboard because my GTX 660 is so old. The default BIOS settings have it disabled.

    Unfortunately, the BIOS reset itself while I was taking the motherboard home, and it doesn't POST anymore, so I will have to take it back to the store again to reenable compatibility mode, or try to find a slightly newer GPU (900-series or newer) somewhere on the market.

    Components:

    CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

    Motherboard: ASUS B550 TUF GAMING PLUS

    RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4-3200MHz

    Storage: ADATA SX6000 256GB

    GPU: MSI Twin Frozr III GTX 660 2GB

    PSU: EVGA 550W PSU Generic

    Case: Rosewill Tyrfing

    submitted by /u/wrkerr9
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment