• Breaking News

    Monday, April 12, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 12, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 12, 2021


    Simple Questions - April 12, 2021

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen 5 3600 good idea in 2021?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    Planning to upgrade my almost 10 year old i5-3330 to a Ryzen 5 3600 (I was thinking maybe 2600 or even 3500x but went that extra stretch for the PCI Gen 4.0 and Zen 2.) along with a B550 board so I don't have to deal with the B450 bios update and some 3200Mhz 2x8GB RAM.

    Is that viable in 2021 games (RE Village, Escape from Tarkov, Cyberpunk...) or am I just wasting my money on old tech that's going to be obsolete in 1-2 years? I'm already finding it hard to justify stressing my budget when my i5 does a good job anyway paired with a GTX 970.

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/SnooCrickets4237
    [link] [comments]

    i built a pc and it wont turn on

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 04:50 AM PDT

    hi my pc i built last week wont turn on i tried everything; checking the front panel connectors pls help im gonna die

    edit: my dumbass didnt fully connect 24pin atx

    submitted by /u/Motor_Picture2979
    [link] [comments]

    How much space does windows 10 really take up?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 08:39 AM PDT

    I started off partitioning 50gb of my ssd to windows 10 which I soon had to give another 20gb and now it's taking almost 100gb and looks like it'll need more space. Am I doing something wrong? What can I do to reduce this space. If this is normal, then what size drive should I buy so I won't have to keep tweaking my ssd size?

    submitted by /u/TheMenaceX
    [link] [comments]

    How can I make my PC quieter?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 02:11 PM PDT

    Hello everyone, I would like to make my PC run quieter, and I am looking for suggestions on how to go about it. At this time, I would like to avoid liquid cooling.

    Note: my pc runs relatively quiet when idle (minus fan noise), but gets much louder under load.

    About my PC:

    GPU: ASUS ROG Swift GTX 1080Ti CPU: i7 8700K 6 Core 3.7 GHz PSU: Corsair RM 750M CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i Ram: 16 GB G Skill Trident Z DDR4 Case: Corsair Crystal 460X Mid Tower Fans: 3x120mm Front, 2x 120mm top, 1x 120mm back

    submitted by /u/nismospecz
    [link] [comments]

    First Build Complete & Booted on First Attempt, What a Feeling!

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 07:15 AM PDT

    Bought all of my parts online a couple of months ago and was waiting to put the PC together until I finished a certification exam I was preparing for, it was a reward to myself for passing the exam. After spending about 6-7 hours building on Saturday, I realized my motherboard did not have any WiFi support, so on Sunday I ran down to Micro Center to pick up a WiFi Adapter and everything is now complete!

    https://imgur.com/a/SplSv8j

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" SSD Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB Phoenix Video Card Case: Metallic Gear Neo Air ATX ATX Mid Tower Case Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply WiFi Adapter: Asus PCE-AX3000 

    Beyond stoked I was finally able to build my first PC, the PC building community is so welcoming and supportive and I am so excited to continue to extend this build and build new PCs in the future. Any and all comments, suggestions, tips, etc. are welcome!

    submitted by /u/sneakerheadfarb
    [link] [comments]

    Help a Noob Selecting the Ram

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 12:13 PM PDT

    I Have hyperx fury DDr4 2666Hz 8GB ram , I'm looking to buy another but the same one is out of stock and amazon is suggesting the another same ram but their is single detail different.

    HX426C16FB2/8 - this one i have

    HX426C16FB3/8 - this is amazon recommending. as the other one is out of stock.

    i searched the difference or will they are going to work together but didn't find anything , I have Msi B360m pro VDh board. on official site info on supported ram , (HX426C16FB3/8 - this one is not listed their )

    so right now i'm confused will they are going to work or not. ?

    please help me understand on this.

    Links -

    I have this - HyperX Fury Black 8GB 2666MHz DDR4 CL16 DIMM 1Rx8 (HX426C16FB2/8) -https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B06XNRXCV6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    HyperX Fury 8GB 2666MHz DDR4 CL16 DIMM 1Rx8 Black XMP Desktop Memory (HX426C16FB3/8) - https://www.amazon.in/HyperX-2666MHz-Desktop-Memory-HX426C16FB3-dp-B07WD5VKTS/dp/B07WD5VKTS/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

    Msi - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B360M-PRO-VDH#support-mem-3

    submitted by /u/Being_47
    [link] [comments]

    Z390 Aorus Pro User manual wrong?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 02:24 PM PDT

    Hi, I thought the Z390 supported 9th gen Intel, and 128gb of RAM.

    So I was a little surprised to read this in the manual

    https://i.ibb.co/pPq7Fsm/PXL-20210412-212103792-MP.jpg

    Have I confused something?

    submitted by /u/idify
    [link] [comments]

    Buying a defective graphics card (which fail on heavy load)

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 04:23 AM PDT

    Hello, I saw a few used defective graphics cards, where it is written that they crash under load but run fine on light load.

    My question: Is it a good idea to buy such graphics cards for a cheap price (considering they aren't very old like RTX 2060's)? What is the probability that these graphics cards are still perfectly fine and it is just a power supply problem (not enough power)

    submitted by /u/investinor
    [link] [comments]

    Need recommendation for PC gaming chair with recline feature.

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 01:32 PM PDT

    Hi r/buildapc I need suggestions for a comfortable PC gaming chair. And by PC gaming chair I don't necessarily mean a "gaming chair" but a comfortable chair to be used for PC gaming. I would mostly be using it upright however it needs to be reclining and comfy to kick back and lay on as well. I wouldn't be sleeping on it when reclining but playing games with a controller or watching movies or shows. I've been searching all day and before today I don't think I would've budged in not spending more than like $250 however it really seems like I might need to as per most people's suggestions. For the record I'm a shorter guy, I'm 5'6 and 145lbs. Included footrest is optional since I can just purchase one but if there is a great option with one I would be glad to take a look. Max budget is around $500 but I would still prefer to spend less if I could get away with it.

    submitted by /u/AntwonTheDamaja
    [link] [comments]

    11400F vs 3600

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 01:00 PM PDT

    Maybe Im just still relatively new to pc building. But I dont quite understand why the 11400F is a better "budget" option? Sure the i5 is slightly cheaper and the performance is a little better but only with the premium price you pay for a b560 mobo for the oc? Why pay that extra premium 100euro(?) for a b560 when a b450 and 3600 runs just slightly behind and then you could use that extra money towards a even better case/cooler/ram etc or just save the money altogether

    submitted by /u/Meekaiel
    [link] [comments]

    CPU Upgrade from i7 6700

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 02:21 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I currently run an i7 6700 (non-k) with 32 gbs of 2133 mhz ram. I recently upgraded my GTX 970 to a 3060ti. I wanted to upgrade to some cheap 3200 mhz ram and a new CPU. I was originally planning on upgrading to the Ryzen 3600 but now it seems like the 11400F is a more compelling deal. I'm in college right now so I don't want to spend a lot to upgrade. I want higher frames on more CPU demanding titles like Cyberpunk and Call of Duty. I think my i7 6700 is bottlenecking it.

    Also, I wanted to change cases from a full tower to a mitx build. I don't know if that matters all too much but I wanted to mention it in case it changes things.

    submitted by /u/shadow0918
    [link] [comments]

    Help with choosing power supply

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 02:06 PM PDT

    Hello, This is my first pc build. I choose all the components I need except for GPU, I don't what graphic card I'm going to buy and it's expensive. So I decided to build my pc first and buy the graphics card later. I calculated the wattage I needed for my pc on PSU calculator (400W-450W). But I'm not sure of it because I saw lot of people in Yt choosing 600W-650W. Help me please

    [pc part picker]

    submitted by /u/one_in_all
    [link] [comments]

    The second computer I've ever build, but the first that's all mine

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 02:05 PM PDT

    https://pcpartpicker.com/b/4nvWGX

    This is the build. I spent $600 to upgrade every component except my GPU. I built it today and have been using it for several hours now.

    This was a long time coming as my old build was showing its age. Specs | Photos

    The thing I notice the most is the difference between 8 and 16 gigs of memory. It's mindblowing. I don't know how I survived on 8. Thank you to anyone here who gave me advice on my build.

    submitted by /u/mfvicli
    [link] [comments]

    24", 1080p, 144hz monitor worth it in 2021?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 12:28 PM PDT

    Last year in December I build myself a new PC, now it's time to also upgrade my peripherals. One thing that I'm stuck on is what kind, and also specifically what model, of monitor I should add to the ones that I'm currently running.

    My current system:
    Ryzen 5 5600X
    32GB 3200Mhz
    Radeon RX580
    (retained from my old system)

    And I am currently running the following screens.
    * 24", 1080p, 60hz
    Used this one for years as my main screen.
    * 32", 1080p, 60hz
    Currently used as a second screen and media screen for watching videos, Netflix etc...
    * 50" 1080p, 60hz
    Used for my Sim Racing rig.

    I wanna add another screen that is running at 144hz to be used in most video games. Since I'm already running a 24", 1080p as my main screen it would make sense in my mind to add another 24", 1080p screen as my 144hz gaming screen.
    On the other hand though I'm concerned about whether or not adding a 24" 1080p screen would be worth it in 2021 seeing as 1440p and 27" screens are becoming more and more prevalent.

    What's your take on it? If you were in my shoes, would you get another 24" screen or would you jump straight to a 27" 1440p one with the goal of also replacing the current 24" one in the future?

    submitted by /u/LiftsHeavyThings
    [link] [comments]

    Is the Ryzen 7 3700x a good gaming CPU?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 01:55 PM PDT

    I'm going through some of the newer AMD CPUs and idk which one to buy, 8 core 16 thread with a 4.4max boost seems like a good CPU for gaming, but honestly I don't know much abt CPUs and which are good for gaming.

    submitted by /u/tfozombie
    [link] [comments]

    Is a 144hz monitor worth it for my build?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 07:56 AM PDT

    I am ready to build my first pc, I just need to buy a monitor. A friend told to get at least 144hz, would it be worth it with my specs?

    Here are my specs: CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K GPU: ASUS 1650 Phoenix Mobo: ASUS - ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive"

    submitted by /u/jcoleondabeat
    [link] [comments]

    PC reboots when touching it??

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 08:35 AM PDT

    I completed my pc build a few weeks back and it's been a ton of fun building and gaming! But, I've noticed that my PC will reboot every once and awhile when I touch the case and/or the front ports. My build:

    1. Ryzen 5600x
    2. Noctua nh-u12S cpu cooler
    3. Trident neo 32gb (2x16), running at 3600mhz via xmp
    4. Asus tuf x570 pro (wifi)
    5. Corsair RM 850x gold psu
    6. EVGA 2070 super
    7. Fractal define compact 7

    Couple of items worth sharing to explain the situation in more detail:

    1. My PC is in a carpeted living room on the floor, however I've propped it up on a thick piece of wood so that the bottom doesn't make contact with carpet.
    2. This could be the kicker: as a first time PC builder I ended up bending the usb 3.0 header pins on my mobo. Looking at it now, I see that two of the pins appear to be touching, which I assume could cause a short.
    3. Since I bent the pins, I decided to connect my usb 3.0 front panel plug to a usb 2.0 adapter, which is then plugged into all the usb 2.0 header on my mobo.
    4. My PSU seems fine, but recently I noticed a very low sounding buzz (only audible if I put my ear next to psu) when I flip the psu on. Is this normal? I'm in a brand new house so I doubt we have electrical problems already.

    I fear that the bent/touching usb pins could be the cause, and they are quite bent so worried about snapping them off when trying to fix.

    Any ideas/things to try? For now, my plan is to simply not touch the PC when in use.

    EDIT: checked the pins, they are bent in the middle of the pins so unbending them seems super tough without snapping them off. Also, based on what I can tell the pins don't appear to be touching. Pic: https://imgur.com/a/yTbhY8i/

    EDIT2: I ended up calling fractal design's customer support. They indicated that this can be somewhat common in the winter time when it's dry, and suggested they could send me a replacement front panel port strip...so I might try that..

    submitted by /u/DMA99
    [link] [comments]

    How to reflash bricked nvidia gpu using two-gpu method?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 01:48 PM PDT

    Hi guys, I posted this on r/techsupport 3 days ago and got very little tech support. Saw a previous thread on this subreddit saying that it supports repair questions so thought I'd give it a shot here.

    I was updating my vbios (trying to) to implement resizable bar support on my gpu.
    I think I've bricked my gpu whilst using MSI's Live update 6 utility to update the vbios on my graphics card (MSI RTX 3070 gaming x trio). The PC still boots up with the card plugged in and there is fan spin but the screen is black. I've tried plugging it into my TV using HDMI as well to check it's not the displayport/cable I was using and it's still black.
    The white VGA warning light on my motherboard (ASUS x570 plus wifi) is also on whilst it's running so I know I've dun goofed.

    First off, let's get this out of the way, yes I am dumb for not realising that updating this would potentially brick my card. I am new to messing around with bioses and thought that updating something from within windows with an official utility was somehow less prone to bricking my components. Subsequently, and it pains me to say it, I did not make a backup. You best believe I've learnt my lesson what with the current gpu shortage and in general. With that out of the way, can you help me?

    I am currently using an older GPU (Radeon R9 380) in the interim as my VGA output. I have seen a method online where you use nvflash with two gpus installed (1 working, 1 not) to flash the original bios onto the card in the second slot. The reason I'm asking here is that I have found it very hard to collate all of the relevant information from every forum, video and article into a cohesive guide on how to do this.
    My current understanding is that I need to insert both cards into the PCIe slots on my motherboard, with the bricked card not connected via any 6-pin or 8-pin power connectors.
    Then I need to get the original bios version from techpowerup for my GPU and use nvflash to flash the original .rom file onto the 3070.
    It's this step that I am clueless about even after watching many guides on it.
    Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to do this?

    I understand there's the potential that my card is just dead and that's that, but if there is even a glimmer of hope I'd be eternally grateful for any help.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Xavierlights
    [link] [comments]

    Didn't know I'd be this excited- my husband is building my first custom PC!

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 09:02 AM PDT

    He's completely knowledgeable about the 'innards,' and he helped me pick stuff that would meet a certain aesthetic I have in mind. This is all there is so far (the monitor that he already had- haha), but the rest of everything should be here by Thursday. I have already asked him to explain stuff to me as he's building. The case is white and there's going to be a good bit of "cute" and RGB going on. I had no idea I'd be geeking out this hard. Thought y'all could understand my excitement. : )

    https://imgur.com/gallery/ozFcmX3

    submitted by /u/superplannergirl
    [link] [comments]

    My First PC Build; Fire Away!

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 01:23 PM PDT

    My goal: to have a PC beast out on games for the next 4-5 years, be a work horse for my son's streamer dreams and have it last around 8-10 years.

    I have recently entered into the exciting world of PC building and have spent many hours over the last week soaking up as much information as possible. I present to you my completed list:

    CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor

    GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB FTW3 ULTRA

    MOBO: MSI MEG Z490 UNIFY ATX LGA1200

    RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL14

    PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold

    OS Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME

    Data Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME

    Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower

    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM

    I have opted to stay away from water cooling for personal preference. I also plan to OC my cpu, gpu and ram.

    Any I missing anything or any holes apparent to you PC building veterans?

    submitted by /u/Daddy249Kart
    [link] [comments]

    Wait for an M1 iMac or build a PC?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 11:25 AM PDT

    I know I'm asking if I should build a PC in a sub called "buildapc," but I would really really appreciate some unbiased opinions from people who have experience with Apple's new M1 based machines.

    So my budget is about $3200 and I want to get a new machine for music production. Whatever that machine will be, it will have 32GB of RAM and at least 2TB of SSD storage.

    Either ecosystem/os will work for me. It's more about getting the highest performing computer for my budget. MacOS has always been pretty slick and Logic is a solid DAW so that is what initially had me leaning towards that. However, I've also built PCs prior so I figure I would ask how current parts stack up with the M1.

    There is a lot of hype around the new M1 imacs and their rumored benchmarks, people saying it will blow the Intel 10k and Ryzen R9 5950x away in performance and stuff like that.

    With my use and budget in mind, what would you guys suggest? Being on MacOS and having Logic would be nice, but is it worth the wait over just building a PC now?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/-ItsAlwaysSunnyInFL-
    [link] [comments]

    Bent CPU pins, please help

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 03:00 PM PDT

    So i just had some pins get bent due to the cpu getting stuck on the cooler when trying to remove it. Is this fixable or am I screwed? It's a R9 5900X if that's relevant. Please help, this is reallly stressing me out. http://imgur.com/a/vhAJS4N

    submitted by /u/froze482
    [link] [comments]

    I am looking for a graphics card, PLEASE HELP

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 06:13 AM PDT

    Hello everyone now that i have saved enough money for a pc, i am going to build one. I have all the parts i need except for 1 thing... the graphics card. I saw a rx 550 on Amazon with 6000 Mhz clockspeed only it has no power connector??? is this still possible or should i go look somewhere else? Here is the link:https://www.amazon.nl/Yeston-RX550-4G-grafische-geheugen-6000MHz/dp/B07W4N6WYR/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HDEV91WADBKNZMFJZWRZ

    thank you for your help.

    submitted by /u/alexitimmers
    [link] [comments]

    Pc won't boot

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 02:53 PM PDT

    Hello, I bought myself a nice Ryzen 5800x and a msi mpg x570 mobo, and after getting everything running my computer started and it worked!

    So anyway I install nvidias latest drivers to my 2070 super and reset the computer and now it won't boot at all.

    The ez debug lights for VGA and boot are both solid red and there is no connection to the monitor, it confuses me because it just worked 30 seconds earlier and everything seemed to be in order.

    I was wondering if it's because of the Nvidia driver updates that it can't find the video card anymore? Any help would be great thanks.

    submitted by /u/Sovenaderp
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment