• Breaking News

    Friday, April 9, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 09, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 09, 2021


    Simple Questions - April 09, 2021

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    GPU

    Posted: 08 Apr 2021 08:24 PM PDT

    I just have a questions about what I should about PC parts. I currently have a Micro ATX Case, a m.2 500GB SSD, a 2TB HDD, 2 sticks of 8GB 3600MHZ RAM, and a 600 watt bronze PSU. And I was thinking of getting a B450 tomahawk Max and for a CPU I was thinking of a ryzen 5 3600. But as you probably all know GPU prices are the definition of a disappointment. And I don't know what to do since I was planning on either getting a 1660 super 1650 super but those are well over $700 dollars. So I was hoping for someone's advice on what to do in muy situation.

    submitted by /u/Admirable_Historian8
    [link] [comments]

    Motherboards specifications explained

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 05:43 AM PDT

    My CPU names guide and GPU one by dabbingboi2020's were well received, so here is the most popular request, motherboards!

    In this post I will try to explain what (some) motherboard specifications mean

    Compatibility, sockets, and updating BIOS

    To find out if motherboard supports your CPU you need to check what is this motherboard's socket (thing where you put CPU). It should be same as your CPU's one. Intel usually updates their socket once in 2 years while AMD does so much rarer.

    At the time of writing latest ones are:

    Intel - LGA1200

    AMD - AM4

    In some cases you might need to update the BIOS (OS but for motherboard) for it to support new CPU. It is required if motherboard came out earlier than CPU since it's original code doesn't know how new processor works. Note that sometimes older motherboard CAN support new CPU out of box, so check that on manufacturer's site and on forums first

    Updating BIOS

    Some motherboards can be updates from a USB drive. In that case you can just follow instructions on it's website and not worry about anything.

    Otherwise you need CPU that motherboard can already work with to update it. Most stores have services for that where they will update it for you.

    Chipset (letter and 3 digits)

    Chipset is what controls the motherboard, so it's really important.

    Letters mean what lineup motherboard is in:

    A for AMD or H for Intel - budget. Limited support for some features, worse IO, no PCIE gen 4

    B - mainstream. Best choice most of the time for AMD but not always for Intel

    X (AMD) - has some extra features, although not worth it for most people.

    Z (intel) - extra features, better IO and most noticeably CPU overlock support (requires CPU with K in its name to overclock)

    What numbers mean:

    First digit is generation. Both companies' latest one is 5. Each generation is usually significantly better than last one, for example latest one added PCIE generation 4 support to some motherboards which means more potential for GPUs, SSDs etc.

    Second digit has same meaning as letter. But it does help with B line since both companies have it. B[]50 is AMD while B[]60 is Intel

    Last digit is almost always 0

    Sizes

    There are 3 main sizes of motherboards:

    ATX - biggest one, most popular.

    mATX - slightly smaller, best value since there is some money saved from material.

    mini ITX - smallest one and most expensive at the same time. Limited RAM and PCIE slots too so only recommended if you want a REALLY small PC (see r/sffpc)

    There are also other less popular sizes, but they are somewhat rare. For example:

    E-ATX - a bigger than ATX, mostly used for workstations

    IO

    IO are the ports on the left of your motherboard. Here are main things you need to know

    IO shield

    IO shield is the metal plate that you put where the IO ports are. It makes it harder to miss them and prevents you from accidentally cutting your finger with ports. While not a major feature, integrated IO shield is a really good one as it makes putting motherboard in the case faster and easier (plus they often look cooler :D)

    Ethernet speeds

    Ethernet port speed is measured in gigabits. 1 gigabit is 125 megabytes per second

    Feel free to tell me what you want me to add or change, maybe some important specifications that I forgot to mention or just typos :D

    submitted by /u/AndreyRussian1
    [link] [comments]

    Opinions about build

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 08:32 AM PDT

    Hello guys ... I am wondering to build cheap and good performing PC (without GPU )for around 700 EUR (830 usd )in my country.

    Motherboard - Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite

    CPU - Ryzen 5 5600x

    Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition (I am using same on current pc and its cheap and great)

    HDD = 1 TB Seagate 7200 64 mb cache

    SSD - I will use my SSD from current pc (Kingston A2000 NVME 256GB for OS)

    PSU - Seasonic Focus Plus 750 W (80+ Gold)

    RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB kit |2x8| 3200 mhz - Timings 16-18-18-36

    GPU - I will use my Gigabyte RTX 2060 from my current build

    If you have any suggestions or advices - you are welcome.

    submitted by /u/z00mche
    [link] [comments]

    After almost a year, it's finally ready

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 11:15 AM PDT

    I'm so excited to build this thing! I want to thank all the people on this sub that helped me decide on parts and answered all my questions. This wouldn't have been possible without you!

    submitted by /u/gamerboi895
    [link] [comments]

    is it bad if I go with 3 sticks of ram?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 08:51 AM PDT

    I have one and just found a seller with the same ram stick as mine, but he sells only 2x8gb 3200mhz. However he gave me the price of $100 instead of $120 if I pay in cash. It has been the only one I have found that has the same stick as mine. Last case scenario would be for me to sell my ram stick or store it but I want to know if I can use 3

    submitted by /u/SAS191104
    [link] [comments]

    I'm in a PC Monitor limbo and need advice to get out! (Looking for a 1440p 144hz monitor)

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 10:48 AM PDT

    I went through a complete PC build, comparing every part, reading countless reddit threads, watching hours of reviews and got through all that just fine...

    But purchasing a good 1440p 144hz monitor, which are very common nowadays, seems completely impossible!

    Here's how to cycle goes:

    1. Find good looking monitor
    2. Look at reviews, seems decent enough
    3. Go to reddit looking for opinions
    4. Find out it is a "unusable pile of shit that I returned in a day" with "horrific colours" and "unacceptable contrast" etc. etc. etc.
    5. Find another monitor from those comments
    6. Return to step 2

    I've been in this limbo for weeks now! I'd like to buy a monitor during the weekend because I'm getting my GPU next week.

    So guys, what am I supposed to do? I can't buy every monitor.

    I'm looking for a 27" or 32", 1440p, 120hz+, IPS, or VA display with Gsync support (FreeSync is fine if the monitor supports gsync as well).

    My budget is 600 USD (flexible).

    submitted by /u/B1rdi
    [link] [comments]

    Im hearing mixed things about PSU Wattage

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 08:24 AM PDT

    A friend of mine offered me to take over his barely used pre build pc last week. It's an old build from 2013 but I can slap in my old leftover ram sticks and GPU to make it into a Minecraft build for my nephew. The only thing is that the PSU is one of those garbage prebuilt ones with a wattage of 300. I calculated the wattage that I need with the added parts with one of those websites and they tell me I need somewhere around 330-350 if I plug everything in. Now what I've read on some forms is that they overshoot their estimate with about 80% but on the other hand on this sub we always talk about getting a PSU with more then minimal wattage from a proper brand/manufacture. So my question is: will this build run fine if I won't plug in the DVD and decrease the max power the GPU can draw? The reasoning being that the standard used to calculate the wattage by websites and manufacturers overshoot their estimate and that I'm able to lower the max power draw of the gpu. Would love to hear your thoughts on it.

    Specs pre build ( HP Pavilion 500-201ed ): Motherboard: MSI MS-7778 CPU: AMD A10 6700 Gpu: Radeon R5 235 Ram: 2x1 GB ddr3 + 1x4 GB ddr3 PSU: 300 W intern (100 - 240 V) (I don't know what brand yet) Storage: 1TB HDD

    Extra parts: GPU: Randeon R9 270x Ram: 2x 4GB Storage: 60 GB SSD

    submitted by /u/Fambaxxx
    [link] [comments]

    10850K vs 5900X? Which should I use in my first build?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 09:49 AM PDT

    I've parted two systems for myself, one is Intel and the other is AMD. The Intel system is only a few hundred dollars cheaper and comes with integrated graphics, meaning I can save several hundred dollars, especially during this ongoing GPU shortage. With the AMD system, I get better upgradability and easier performance in multitasking. I'm not considering the two to three FPS increase in either one. Which one should I go for? I plan on using the build for gaming, streaming, editing, basic content creation work. This will also be my first PC.

    submitted by /u/krimsonblaid3
    [link] [comments]

    Can you guys take a look at my part list

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 12:20 PM PDT

    This is gonna be my first gaming rig I wanted to know your guys thoughts on it RIG PARTS

    submitted by /u/EmilOnSocials
    [link] [comments]

    Thanks everyone

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 01:02 PM PDT

    pc build

    Thanks to everyone here that helped me and answered my questions. After months of planning and waiting i finally build my first pc.

    The specs:

    CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 5800x

    GPU: Gigabyte Vision RTX 3080

    Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550A gaming

    Ram: corsair vengeance rgb pro 2×16 gb 3200 Mhz

    CPU cooler: Lian Li Galahad 360 aio

    PSU: GIGABYTE GP-P850GM 850W 80+ gold

    SSD: Team Group T-FORCE CARDEA ZERO Z340 1TB

    submitted by /u/fucking_goofy_goober
    [link] [comments]

    Intro gaming set up for a friend

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 10:47 AM PDT

    Friend of mine wants to get more into games and tech and specifically PCs. "Teach me computers" she said a couple months ago. So after enough time and a stimmy hit her account, i have been tasked with building her a pc capable of doing the thing.

    Blowing nothing out of the water, and capable of hanging out with us in valorant or World of Warcraft. I had an old forward facing RGB case with temperd glass so she will feel like a gamer. And a RX 470 from back before i had my 1060 or my 2060Super.

    Have a look over this set up and tell me if anything is glaring as a weakspot.

    Cpu: ryzen 3 3200g Gpu: Rx 470 4gb RAM: vengence 16gb 3200hz SSD: 240GB KINGSTON HDD: 2TB baracuda MOBO: B450m DS3H V2 PSU: 500W BRONZE Case is a Gamdias? Its a smaller case with some RGB fans up front.

    Cpu i went 3200g so the integrated graphics could help my old 470 with any heavy lifting, i know the GPU is gonna be feeling old in todays age. Went with good/fast RAM cause I heard the 3200 does well with faster ram. Otherwise its just enough SSD to run OS and a select game or two. Then everything else on the HDD.

    I always worry i dont have enough power output when i build a new PC. Is 500w enough for a simple setup?

    Shes just gonna plug into her TV in the living room for now. And im pretty sure its old. Like 30ish inches and probably only 1080p.

    Any thoughts?

    submitted by /u/SparkMasterExo
    [link] [comments]

    No wifi option

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 02:30 PM PDT

    I'm trying to connect my new pc to wifi but when I try to connect there is no option apart from Ethernet. I also can't find the adapter in device manager. Help would mean a lot

    My motherboard has wifi

    submitted by /u/NANANANANANANAAAAAAA
    [link] [comments]

    Where does this cable belong into my motherboard? I forgot..

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 11:36 AM PDT

    Hello guys

    Does anybody know where this cable belongs into my motherboard?

    https://imgur.com/gallery/FMzlbAC

    Im really clueless. And what is this even for?

    Would be really helpful!

    submitted by /u/yey96
    [link] [comments]

    Thank you to everyone for the great advice! This community got me into PC building and I will never look back!

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 10:33 AM PDT

    I even made a little video on my build ;)

    But seriously, this is a great community!

    submitted by /u/Lord_Blake
    [link] [comments]

    please help me I spilled water on my pc

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 02:07 PM PDT

    I fucked up so bad, i spilt water on the top of my pc. I immediately turned it off and unplugged it. Barely anything got into the Gpu since it's vertically mounted. I cleaned up all the water. I assembled the pc again and turned it on, seemed fine then the screen froze. my Gpu fans were on, i then shut the pc down and tried without a Gpu. it turns on but turns off, turns on again then turns off etc. Please help me what do I do, did I fry my Gpu. I'm literally gonna break down mentally

    submitted by /u/EliasHreishRL
    [link] [comments]

    Opinion and price about my rig

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 11:18 AM PDT

    CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 with stock cooler

    MOBO: MSI B350 Gaming Plus

    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb CL16 2400Mhz

    GPU: GTX 1080Ti MSI Armor OC

    PSU: Thermaltake LitePower 600 watts

    CASE: Thermaltake View 27 with Corsair fans: 3 front, 1 back, 1 on top of the hdd's

    STORAGE: Samsung 970 Pro 256Gb, 2x1TB WD Blue HDD

    Replaced thermal paste on both CPU and GPU with Noctua NT-H2

    First of all I'd need your opinion of my build, and secondly, how would you price it? Asking this because as well as this pc performs, I'd like to sell it in order to get a laptop with either 2060 or 2070. A laptop makes more sense to me, portability wise, although I'd lose some performance

    submitted by /u/FallenFromFirmament
    [link] [comments]

    I’m a beginner trying to update a prebuilt pls help

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 02:04 PM PDT

    So currently I've been thinking of upgrading my prebuilt the things I need to upgrade are ram ssd new case and a gpu my budget is 420-620 pls help thank you

    submitted by /u/Streaks_red
    [link] [comments]

    Should I buy a CPU that was in a damaged build?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 02:01 PM PDT

    Okay, I have a local listing that is selling a Ryzen 9 3900x for $250. The seller is saying that the CPU was in his boss's pc that had a faulty PSU. He has sent the motherboard for repair. Since he uses an Intel pc, he can't check the processor. But he has checked the memory from the damaged build and it's working fine in his system.

    Now I don't have an AM4 motherboard. I need to buy that as well. Do you think it would be good idea to buy the Ryzen processor?

    submitted by /u/shoresorion
    [link] [comments]

    Can I move my prebuilt to a different case for upgrading...

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 01:51 PM PDT

    Here are some of my specs not sure on mother board or power supply Any help

    Dell XPS 8930 32GB DDR4 2666MHz (4x8GB) 1TB (64MB Cache) 7200 RPM SATA Nvidia GTX 1070 8G DDR5 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 Windows 10 pro

    submitted by /u/Soggy-Teaching6683
    [link] [comments]

    Is it bad to only have 2 drives?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 12:07 PM PDT

    My case has enough space for multiple SSDs and HDDs but I really only have one m.2 and one hard drive. Am I supposed to have more disk space or this is enough?

    submitted by /u/serbdamo
    [link] [comments]

    Feel like motherboards have gotten noticeably more expensive since the last time I bought one

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 12:06 PM PDT

    Maybe it's just me but I could've sworn I bought a Z-level motherboard for my i5 4460 + GTX 970 combo for well under $100. I'm currently looking for a decent B560 mobo for my upgrade to the newly released i5 11400F, but it's a struggle to find one under $100. Is this a byproduct of the mining rage, or have MB become more expensive to produce? I'm quite out of the loop, sorry if this is a dumb question. I haven't checked in on the PC building world for years.

    submitted by /u/gameovernate
    [link] [comments]

    Samsung low level format tool

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 10:44 AM PDT

    Hi, my ssd died, no receipt left, samsung is giving hard time, connected directly to laptop, but even laptop does not recognize it, what are my options here

    Any feedback is welcome

    submitted by /u/slaan1974
    [link] [comments]

    First time building a PC

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 06:55 AM PDT

    I got my hands on 1660 super finally (although at a higher price) and a Ryzen 5 3600. Since I overshot my budget with overpriced GPU, what is the best motherboard I can use which is relatively cheaper and are budget cabinet good for cooling?
    If any recommendations, please tell me.

    submitted by /u/nsg_1400
    [link] [comments]

    is my GPU good enough for a 240hz monitor

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 10:38 AM PDT

    i currently use:

    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-9700KF

    Gpu: GeForce® RTX 2060 6GB

    i was just wondering if my graphics card would be good enough for a 240hz monitor without skipping frames etcc, thanks!

    submitted by /u/jakeblooron240hz
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment