• Breaking News

    Saturday, March 27, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - March 27, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - March 27, 2021


    Simple Questions - March 27, 2021

    Posted: 27 Mar 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    3060 Dead HDMI output

    Posted: 27 Mar 2021 07:36 AM PDT

    Hey! I have recently joined the pc master race by building my very first pc last month.

    I am currently using a monitor and my TV as displays and they each occupy a HDMI port on my gpu.

    But suddenly my pc sopped detecting my TV.

    So I have tested each with different HDMI cables, reset each device but no luck.

    It turns out most recent nvidia driver kills the second hdmi out.

    Uninstalled the latest driver and reverted back to 461.72 solved the issue.

    Just leaving this here for anyone who might encounter the same problem.

    GPU: gigabyte 3060 eagle oc

    submitted by /u/TacToaster
    [link] [comments]

    Please help me, I am so confused

    Posted: 27 Mar 2021 07:45 AM PDT

    Hey there!

    My name is Maddie and I posted on the subreddit a few months ago asking for help building a pc to surprise my boyfriend, I received so many helpful comments and suggestions I cannot thank you enough for!!! Unfortunately the acquiring of all of these parts didn't quite go as planned and I am in I am in desperate need of some more help.

    To make a long story short I ordered a video card in November which was then placed on back order and finally a few weeks ago I received an email that my order would not be filled.The problem here (and why I am in desperate need of your help) is that I know almost nothing about pc's and I have no idea what kind of video card would work with the parts he already has that is also in stock. Im sorry if this seems like a silly question but I have tried to do research and figure it out on my own but I have no idea what 80% of the words in the descriptions mean and I could really use some help.

    I will but the link to the list of parts that I bought at the bottom of this post if anyone would be willing to take a look at it and give any input or advice I would appreciate it more than you know. I also realize the parts I bought are probably not the best but my goal was to get something he could use as a starting point to then build upon and upgrade. Im sorry again both for the long post and because I feel like this is a silly thing to need help with (mostly because I am fairly certain everyone of this subreddit is a computer genius and I am both jealous and amazed at how much everyone seems to know about computers and technology); but no matter what thank you all so so much for all of your help and understanding!!

    Here is the link to the part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/maddie-foley/saved/#view=LYTN6h

    submitted by /u/maddie-foley
    [link] [comments]

    What is the cheapest combination for a decent pc?

    Posted: 27 Mar 2021 09:05 AM PDT

    Hey, total noob here, my pc which is 9 years old is dying and I have no idea about basically anything pc related, with a very limited budget I am wondering what's the best parts you can get without going overboard

    (Edit, my budget is around 500 euros, and I'm from Spain if it helps, since I was recommended from pages that didn't do delivery to Spain)

    submitted by /u/Dani_Navarro
    [link] [comments]

    Pc won't turn on after switching cpu?

    Posted: 27 Mar 2021 03:30 PM PDT

    I updated the bios, no pins are bent. Switched back to the old cpu and that doesn't work now either. I was very careful not to knock anything out. My pc was working fine before the switch.

    Their are some lights on the motherboard, lights behind where the gpu is at. Not the gpu itself. That's off. but other then that, nothing is on. I didn't build this myself it's a prebuit. I'm not really familiar with pcs. The motherboard is this

    https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370%20Killer%20SLI/#BIOS

    submitted by /u/Galore67
    [link] [comments]

    GPU fan at 0% load, 2000+ RPM

    Posted: 27 Mar 2021 07:52 AM PDT

    Build: Ryzen 2600x MSI X470 MSI GTX 970

    I've had this build for a good year or so, and the GPU even longer - and I've never had any issues. A few days ago, the GPU fans would all go to max speed for a few seconds after waking from sleep or power on, and I thought nothing of it since it would return to normal after about 10 seconds.

    However, after turning my PC on today, the GPU is persistent at 2000+ RPM at idle, and temperatures are fairly low, averaging 30 degrees C.

    To investigate I've run GPU-Z, which gives the following perplexing issue: https://imgur.com/a/LvLDqaB - the fan speed (%) is 0, yet rpm 2000+. As you can see, temps are low, and gpu load is low.

    I'm not running any custom fan profiles, but have tried creating a custom low load profile in MSI afterburner, which didn't solve the issue. I've tried updating nvidia drivers, a hard reset of the pc, and reseat of the GPU.

    The GPU is out of warranty, is it dead?

    submitted by /u/hitchenator
    [link] [comments]

    SSD hitting 100% usage while playing games causing windows to freeze and forcing me to restart PC

    Posted: 27 Mar 2021 05:19 PM PDT

    Recently while playing any game my SSD is hitting 100% causing my windows to freeze and forcing me to restart with the button on my PC. All of my games are installed on my hard drive. I have tried every solution I could find and nothing seems to be working. One thing that I have noticed is when my SSD is hitting 100% my ram usage is only at 5-8GB when I have 32GB of ram running at 3000mhz. Does anyone have a solution for this?

    Specs:

    • Motherboard: ROG STRIX V550-F Gaming (WIFI)
    • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor
    • Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16
    • Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5' 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    • SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5'
    • GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Super 8 GB Gaming X Trio
    • Power Supply: EVGA BR 700 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX
    • OS: Windows 10 64 bit Version 10,0,19042 Build 19042
    submitted by /u/Tmax7055
    [link] [comments]

    Do I need an anti static mat and wrist band for my first pc build

    Posted: 27 Mar 2021 04:32 AM PDT

    Can't I just touch the psu

    submitted by /u/Kil0man5
    [link] [comments]

    My PC

    Posted: 27 Mar 2021 09:31 AM PDT

    Check out my pc tell me what you think!

    https://builds.gg/builds/deep-blue-30849

    submitted by /u/Independent_Cut1876
    [link] [comments]

    Check out my rig with my clean/minimalistic DIY desk setup!

    Posted: 27 Mar 2021 11:58 AM PDT

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktyXNta8wvc

    Hi guys!

    In this video of me building my desk and pc, I'm not explaining every detail of the process. There will be timestamps and some explanations in caption/subtitles, and if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them!
    This was actually shot with the help of my friend in july 2020, but since I'm pretty camera shy and with a combination of doubting the video material and its purpose, it got "delayed".
    Some segments are not recorded due to my friend not being able to film every single time.
    But anyway, I hope you find some enjoyment and inspiration from this Highlight reel.

    submitted by /u/ABBEH20
    [link] [comments]

    X570 Aorus Master's 3rd M.2 Slot

    Posted: 27 Mar 2021 05:11 PM PDT

    Hello. My question is that, since the 3rd M.2 slot on the x570 Aorus Master is shorter than the other 2 M.2 slots, will standard PCIe 4 M.2 SSDs such as the SN850 or 980 Pro fit on there? Or will I need shorter SSDs too?

    Thanks in advance :-)

    submitted by /u/DarkSyndicateYT
    [link] [comments]

    Dying GPU or something else?

    Posted: 27 Mar 2021 04:58 PM PDT

    Parts: 7700k, 1080TI Strix, 4x8 Gskill Trident Z RGB, Corsair Ax 860 PSU

    Several months ago I started having GPU driver crashes while in Unreal Engine 4 games. I did a new Windows 10 install, fresh installed all drivers etc. Eventually I solved this issue with a GPU underclock and just assumed that Asus binned the card higher than it should have been. However, now this week the problem has worsened and games that have worked fine are now crashing to desktop at random without any error message, sometimes with nvidia drivers listed as the source in Event Viewer, and other times with it blank. These games are not particularly demanding, even Genshin Impact crashed after 2 minutes today and it has never had issues before. Only games are crashing, nothing else. Temperatures on the GPU and the CPU are in the 60s while gaming. Ran memtest86 to verify the crashes were not RAM or XMP related and it passed. Everything seems to me to point to the 1080ti dying which given current card shortages is a nightmare. However, while very frequent the crashing is still random. I can make it through 3D mark Timespy without the underclock applied, but if I play a game for even 5 minutes it could crash. I don't have spare parts to swap in to try to rule things out and am at my wits end with this computer. The card is well out of the warranty period and replacement parts are impossible right now. Does anyone have any troubleshooting recommendations?

    submitted by /u/Isaac730
    [link] [comments]

    About to buy a used gpu

    Posted: 27 Mar 2021 03:16 PM PDT

    Im about to buy a used rtx 2080ti in person. seller said the card was never overclocked or used for mining and he bought it four months ago. in the time where we meet what should i look for when looking at the card ?

    submitted by /u/Circuvment
    [link] [comments]

    9900k @5Ghz Sudden Heat Problems

    Posted: 27 Mar 2021 11:57 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    I have been running an 9900k @5Ghz for about 5 months now. Just this week it started to randomly spike in temperature while under load. Im using a NH-D15 that was purchased new at the same time as the processor. I also just cleaned it off (no improvement)

    Any ideas what my issue might be?

    submitted by /u/nvmyers
    [link] [comments]

    New PSU not working in new build but powers on it's own. Need Help

    Posted: 27 Mar 2021 04:03 PM PDT

    Hi

    First, here is what I'm working with: Ryzen 5 5600x MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk RTX 3080 EVGA 850 GR Supernova

    The issue I'm having is that after installing all of the above components with my older case, ram and storage, the PSU doesn't seem to want to power on at all. On it's own, when connected to the supplied tester from EVGA, it turns on just fine and the internal fan can be seen spinning. All of the cords were seated correctly and reseated for testing. The front panel cords are all plugged in properly as well. It's because of this that I thought it was maybe the mobo. But when I hook up my previous PSU, a Seasonic Focus GM-650, it powers on just fine with no issue. Is this a PSU issue? A Mobo issue? A Me issue? Please advise...

    submitted by /u/buttered_TOA5T
    [link] [comments]

    An advice for those who emergently need an M.2 screw but don't have one during a first build for some reason

    Posted: 27 Mar 2021 12:02 PM PDT

    Use a second M.2 stand. They have the same diameter of inner and outer threading and their length is just enough to fix an m.2 drive in place.

    I was building a PC at my gf place and she doesn't have a lot of spare parts laying around. I was genuinely convinced that any motherboard manufacturer puts those screws in the bag with stands, but Asrock thought differently and those screws weren't in place. So, as most mobos come with 2 M.2 slots, you can just get the stand from one slot and put it as a screw replacement to the other slot.

    https://imgur.com/a/Cp2kT7Z (dust due to SSD coming after all parts were assembled and it was a final touch)

    I just wanted this info to be somewhere available publically because I've spent quite a while googling and looking around the place if the screws were lost or if there was a legit substitute, and ordering them and waiting for a few days wasn't an option.

    submitted by /u/sneaky4oe
    [link] [comments]

    Small heatsinks for cooling GPU memory from backside of PCB?

    Posted: 27 Mar 2021 05:55 PM PDT

    I'm running an XFX RX 5700 DD Ultra (little sister of THICC II), whose excess plastic and backplate I removed. This (together with repaste and manual tightening) brough GPU temps down by 5–20 °C around the PCB in Furmark and Superposition. However, the memory cooling solution on the front side remains poor, and XFX won't send me the THICC III copper memory plate upgrade because I'm a peasant who didn't splurge for the XT model.

    Now that I have an exposed backside, I was thinking about attaching mini heatsinks on there to where the memory modules are. Sure it'll look ugly, but do you reckon it would improve cooling over just a bare backside? (Thicc joke haha) And if so any recommendations on a good product type? (I live in northern Europe, so might need several before finding one that ships here.)

    submitted by /u/S3lvah
    [link] [comments]

    Why AMD graphic cards are much cheaper than Nvidia with apparently same or even better performance?

    Posted: 27 Mar 2021 05:52 PM PDT

    When a 4GB GTX 1650 is about 200€ a 4GB RX550 is like 80€ and a 8GB RX580 is like 150€ in safe and reliable pages. Why is cheaper when it has better performance?

    submitted by /u/Markoss365
    [link] [comments]

    Issues with start up after building.

    Posted: 27 Mar 2021 05:28 PM PDT

    Hey guys. I've spent the day trying to get my new cpu to start up into bios. To my understanding everything is connected correctly but I'm having issues with start up. Tried everything Asus recommended with no avail. I've also tried getting in contact with Asus to no avail. So here is my build any ideas to what is wrong? Is it just a bad MoBo?

    Case is = Musetex Mu3 MoBo = ROG Strix B450-f Gaming II Cpu = AMD Ryzen 5 2600X RAM = Corsair DDR4 2x8 3200 MHz GPU = Maxsun Nividia Geforce GT 1030 2GB PSU = Raidmax 500W XT Cooler = Cooler Master LC240 RGB SSD = SK Hynix 1Tb

    submitted by /u/Arsis-n-Thesis
    [link] [comments]

    Power Supply Wattage

    Posted: 27 Mar 2021 01:37 PM PDT

    So I am going to make a build with 3060 and i5 10600K, how many watts would I need?

    submitted by /u/Icy-Conversation-686
    [link] [comments]

    Help me with this issue

    Posted: 27 Mar 2021 05:19 PM PDT

    I used to have a fantech zeus 5s after using 2Months i felt a input lag so i thought it was my mouse an i replaced it an i bought viper mini but same thing happened after 2months of use my viper mini also gives me a input lag like mouse shuttering an stuff it works fine on my laptop but my pc nope what's the problem? Anyone help I had a i7 2nd gen sameshit happened in that too an then i upgrade to ryzen 5 3600 still same is this bcoz of gpu? 1060 3gb 😕its the only old thing i have on my pc from my old build

    submitted by /u/TomatosauceXxx
    [link] [comments]

    In the market for best available, high budget 1440p 144hz gaming monitor

    Posted: 27 Mar 2021 05:08 PM PDT

    I just upgraded to an MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3x OC 10gb, and am looking for a monitor. I mainly play Call of duty: warzone, and story-type games like Valheim/Witcher. I heard that some monitors were announced in CES 2021 but am a little in over my head going through the list. I have a large budget, and have done some research, but am not too knowledgeable about monitors. Let me know if there is a better subreddit for this kind of post.

    Must-haves:

    • 2560 x 1440p
    • 120+ hz refresh rate (higher the better but I don't see myself going past 165fps)
    • 27-32 inch display
    • IPS Panel
    • Non-curved display
    • low input lag and low motion blur (very important to catch those Ws, I've seen the word ELMB thrown around, but not sure what it means)
    • excellent contrast ratio and colors (I need to see those damned roze skin campers)
    • G-sync compatible

    Prefer:

    • less of a gaming aesthetic because I plan to use it for work too (no need for rgb backlighting etc)
    • released or available to purchase within a month
    • HDR (I don't really understand this but it looks better or something?)
    • small bezel (I plan to use 2 monitors for work)
    • VESA mounting compatible
    • < $1000

    I have waited a long time to make a monitor upgrade, so let me know any and all suggestions you have, and thanks!

    submitted by /u/laustopher
    [link] [comments]

    Turning pc on without graphics cards?

    Posted: 27 Mar 2021 05:04 PM PDT

    I have all my parts besides my graphics card, I'm really tempted to put everything together and see if everything works obviously I'm not going to play games or anything I just wanna see if the parts power on. Is it ok to turn my pc on withought a graphics card, and when I install it later in would there be any problems?

    submitted by /u/Traditional-Ad2133
    [link] [comments]

    1st Desktop ! Did some research

    Posted: 27 Mar 2021 04:58 PM PDT

    Hello everyone. I have been looking to build my PC for a while and ai guess this is finally happening.

    I have a used GTX 1060 6gb that I will be using for now, I intend to switch it to a 3060 Ti in 6-12 months. I use the PC mainly to play online games (from WoW to Apex it really depends, some games are heavier than others), web development and office work.

    I've been looking online for references and prices and I need your help now to finally get it done.

    CPU: Im open to suggestions but I was thinking about getting a Ryzen 5 5600x because of the good reviews. It would cost me ~320€.

    Mother board: I'm not even sure what to look for, any suggestions are welcome.

    Hard Drive: I plan to buy a 1 TB SSD, I have my eyes on one of these 2: - Crucial Mx500 1TB (CT1000MX500SSD1Z)

    -Crucial P2 (CT1000P2SSD8) 1TB

    Both go for 80-85€, which should I chose?

    Ram: I think 16gb should be enough, maybe 2x 8 gb? I'd like to spend the minimum possible in ram atm.

    GPU: for now a gtx 1060, plans to buy a 3060Ti.

    Power Source: I have no idea, I read it's advised to buy a 750W one and read good reviews on seasonic.

    Box: is there any practical difference or it's only aesthetical?

    I will be needing WiFi as well.

    I will be using a 1080p monitor for now, with plans to buy a 1440p LG monitor in a near future. For now I wouldn't want to spend more than ~750€.

    I appreciate any input I can get, I have a laptop and this will be my first desktop, will be used mainly for games and web development and I plan to update it every once in a while (gpu soon, other updates in 4+ years).

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/somaisumaconta
    [link] [comments]

    240GB NVMe vs 500GB SATA 3? (SSD)

    Posted: 27 Mar 2021 11:58 AM PDT

    Opinions for boot drive?

    submitted by /u/Deep_fried_melon9
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment