• Breaking News

    Monday, March 8, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - March 08, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - March 08, 2021


    Simple Questions - March 08, 2021

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 04:00 AM PST

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    240hz 1080p or 165hz 1440p?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 08:27 AM PST

    Thank you all for reply. My specs - Ryzen 5600x and RTX 3070 Asus Tuf 8G OC Edition.

    submitted by /u/christiancro
    [link] [comments]

    Went from 1080p to 1440p

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 03:25 PM PST

    I've been debating if I should make the switch and today I finally did. 2 words: holy shit.

    The difference is huge. I don't know how I used to play on 1080p. I have a 3060ti and now I feel I wasted money playing 1080p on my 3060ti. Just wow. Just as an eye test, whenever I am in game, I switch to 1080p and back to 1440p to see the difference. I used to play games with a flu (blurry) image lol. The difference is huge at least to me. Now I am trying to image what 4k would look like but obviously I would need a way better GPU. To whoever is contemplating to make the switch, contemplate no more, do it, it's worth every dollar

    Edit: forgot to mention. I'm at 165hz. Also, I went from 27inch 1080p to 27 inch 1440p.

    Edit 2: for those wondering, i got the Asus VG27WQ.

    Edit 3: so i learned smth new. Setting my 1440p monitor to 1080p isn't a fair comparison, didn't know that! Regardless, I definitely see a difference between my old 1080p and my new 1440p.

    Also for those wondering, i didn't do much testing yet but I played a few games yesterday. I get a solid 55 FPS on Flight Simulator 2020 ultra settings. 100-110 FPS on warzone full settings. I have the ROG Strix 3060ti OC which is probably a bit more powerful than other 3060ti's

    Also didn't expect all the love/awards! Thanks guys!! Hopefully my post was helpful to some!

    Edit 4: guys and girls, I already edited this post in Edit 3 saying that setting my 1440p monitor to 1080p is NOT a fair comparison.

    submitted by /u/SignificantWarning5
    [link] [comments]

    GPU usage doesn't reach 100%

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 11:21 AM PST

    Hey all. So I was monitoring my hardware info using HWMonitor while playing Hitman (the first one) and I noticed that at some points I was getting fps drops while looking at specific, more demanding areas, but after checking HWM, my GPU only went up to around 60-70% usage. I doubt my CPU is a bottleneck, since it didn't reach 100% usage either and I have a Ryzen 5 3600X (my GPU is a 3060).

    Why does that happen? I also have some problems with my GPU fans , if that matters. And yes, I am paranoid. It's a brand new PC that cost a hell lot of money after all.

    submitted by /u/Shibayyy
    [link] [comments]

    Should I get 4x8 or 2x16 GB RAM?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 05:00 AM PST

    Hi all,

    I'm going for a "AMD Ryzen 5 5600X" CPU on a "Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4" motherboard.

    I want go get 32 GB RAM, but should I get 4x8 GB or 2x16 GB? The computer will be used for work (Photoshop) and casual gaming (CS:GO, Fortnite, PUBG, Football Manager).

    Does it make any difference on the PC performance?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Recoba-86
    [link] [comments]

    I want to build a good gaming pc, but i'm not tech savvy and know nothing of pc components (which ones are good and which ones are bad)

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 08:38 AM PST

    As the title indicates i want to build a gaming pc but i have no idea what to go for. Im planning to throw around 1000 to 2000 euros max to buy pc tower, screen, mouse, keyboard, etc. It would be a great help if you guys could recommend the parts required to build a beast of a pc that can handle even the beefiest of games if possible. Thanks alot in advance :D

    submitted by /u/Some_fucking_twat
    [link] [comments]

    Built my first PC and now my 3060ti is FRIED. What went wrong?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 11:49 AM PST

    Here is the picture of my PC: https://imgur.com/a/m7P0cPU

    Long story short, I used it for 2 days and my PC shut off and when I turned it back on it started smoking. My room was a bit warm when this happened but I didn't think it was hot enough to overheat my PC since I had my room fan turned on.

    I just shipped back my 3060ti to ASUS to start the RMA process after troubleshooting and seeing that another GPU worked on my system. I can't see what I did wrong. Did I just get a faulty GPU or was there something I should have done differently?

    Specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/c4mMdD

    submitted by /u/Bungwads
    [link] [comments]

    I need help with my pc, critical errors and looping blue screens.

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 07:15 AM PST

    I need help with my pc, it started crashing and blue screening at random. It eventually started looping, just turning it on would blue screen, windows safe mode also crashed and I couldn't repair windows either. My motherboard ez debug LED started at about that time, at random intervals. I also noticed that my PSU was doing a weird noise when I turn it on or off.

    After that, I've tried to install Windows and even Linux with a bootable pen, but it always crashed, plus the motherboard LEDs would still turn on without OS. I've swapped, the rams from their sockets and tried with only 1 stick of ram, and it still crashed. I've tested without my GPU but it also didn't matter. I took my PSU to a repair shop and they told me it was still good, the button noise was just from overuse. I thought the problem was the motherboard, so I bought a new one, but the problem remained (i swapped back to my original motherboard after that). Seeing as the motherboard wasn't the problem, I decided to swap my PSU, but even after replacing it, the problem was still there (I kept that PSU since I didn't like the sound the other one was making).

    Since then, I figured I'd instead ask for professional help and dropped my pc off at a repair shop, we've had a lot of back and forth since everytime my pc returned the problem was still there (EZ debug lights still turn on whenever the pc boots up) but they did fix my bsod loop because they used a docking station to reinstall my windows. They thought the problem was a ram socket, they cleaned it, but the pc still crashed. Right now the pc is on, but it shows critical errors on event viewer (Kernel-power 41). The pc still randomly crashes and blue screens, just happens less frequently.

    I've checked the integrity of my files, the state of my hdd and ssd, I've made sure all drivers are up to date, I've ran the windows memory diagnostic and it came out clean, I've used intel processor diagnostic tools and it also showed no errors, the pc seems fine when I look at it with a monitor tool, except that the temperature on the CPU is always a bit higher then they are supposed to, 45°C while basically inactive. Otherwise everything seems normal...

    With the leftover parts, I've assembled another pc, (using the original PSU and the new motherboard) and that pc is also showing the kernel-power 41 error (has yet to turn on the debug LEDs). That leads me to believe the problem resides in the motherboard, and the cause of the problem is either the original PSU or other original hardware.

    Here are my specs:

    Original PC MSI B360 gaming arctic Intel I5-8600 MSI Geforce GTX 1660 TI gaming X 6G Corsair Vengeance RGBPRO 2X8Gb 2666Mhz SSD - SanDisk ultra 3D SSD 500Gb HDD - Toshiba P300 3Tb

    Second PC (home computer for the family) Gigabyte Z390 UD (the board I bought) Intel I3-8100 Intel UHD Graphics 630 Corsair Vengeance 1X8Gb 2400Mhz SSD - SanDisk SSD plus 240Gb TP-Link TL-WN881ND (for wifi connection)

    Both PCs use a NOX HUMMER 600W PSU.

    I already posted this on another subreddit, and someone there said I should make a post here. With their help I've done a full test on my RAM and it's fine. I used Memtest86 and got 0 errors ( https://imgur.com/a/WjUP8vd ).

    I've put a lot of money into fixing this pc and I'm at my wits end when it comes to dealing with it, I hope someone here can either guide me to the actual problem, or clear my doubts about the current situation, if you can help me, please leave a comment, I'd really appreciate it.

    submitted by /u/leljas
    [link] [comments]

    Buying post-mining boom GPUs

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 08:18 AM PST

    Hi r/buildapc,

    I was wondering about buying in future a GPU from cryptominers. I heard many opinions. Some people say that used GPUs could have issues with fans and cooling, because fans have been working 24/7, and other people says that GPUs from mining benches are in great condition because they have constant workload.

    Tbh, I don't know much about pc hardware, so I think, I can ask you about your opinions about that topic.

    submitted by /u/Backdoorek
    [link] [comments]

    We built my Girlfriend’s brother a PC for his birthday!

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 03:21 AM PST

    After building myself a PC for the first time in 8 years in January, my girlfriend's brother has been busting to get a build together. Before this he solely games off of a PS4 that he got on release day and used an old MacBook for his Uni work.

    So we built this

    He is absolutely over the moon with it and built it pretty much by himself, I just hung around incase he got stuck and to answer questions.

    Specs: Case: Corsair iCue 465X

    CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

    GPU: MSI GTX 970 (Placeholder GPU - bought used from eBay before the price hike so wasn't an awful deal)

    Motherboard: MSI MOG X570 GAMING PLUS

    PSU: Corsair RM750x

    RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz

    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i

    NVME: Western Digital 1 TB

    submitted by /u/PedroDino
    [link] [comments]

    Help with airflow and choosing fans for Lancool II Mesh

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 08:38 AM PST

    Right now I have a noctua nf-p12 redux as exhaust in the back, 2 of the 120mm rgb fans that came with the case as exhaust at the top, 2 nf-f12 blowing into the gpu, and 2 nf-p14 redux and a coolermaster 120mm fan as intake at the front.

    Do I have too many as exhaust?

    I read that the nf-s12a would be better as a case fan as opposed to the nf-p12?

    What would be the ideal fan to have in each spot?

    I'm thinking I might want to just get all noctua chromax fans but not sure.

    Not really willing to spend more than $20-$25 per fan so I dont think Id consider a12x25 but maybe.

    https://ibb.co/fCw34wd https://ibb.co/xSGX7nY https://ibb.co/WGmGyjW

    submitted by /u/spoonkee
    [link] [comments]

    CPU Upgrade

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 08:52 AM PST

    Hey guys
    I currently have GTX 1080 and I5 6600k i have been thinking for a while to upgrade my CPU i was thinking about buying i5 10600k but with upcoming 11gen Intel coming up soon i dont know if i should wait or just buy it do you guys think 11gen cpus will be much better then 10gen?
    Thanks for your thoughts

    submitted by /u/xWooZyHD
    [link] [comments]

    Snag a 10th Gen i7 on sale or wait for 11th Gen?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 01:06 PM PST

    Hey all,

    Not sure what to do here...looking for advice. Went to my local Microcenter store and they've got the i10700k for $199.00 and the i9 10900k for $250. Those are some solid deals. Should I snag one of those at that price or wait until the 11th gens drop? (I would buy an i7 at full price, wouldn't consider i9 - wouldn't really need it.) Pc would be mainly for gaming. Definitely upgrading a few parts. The main reason is because I bought a 3080 FTW GPU.

    specs

    Monitor: Alienware 27 Gaming Monitor - AW2721D 240hz 1440p rez. (AWESOME)

    Processor: i7 7700k (upgrading)

    Motherboard: Asus z270e gaming (upgrading...of course)

    Ram: CRUCIAL 16GB 2X8 D4 2400 (upgrading)

    CPU Cooler: CORSAIR **H100I PRO RGB AIO

    GPU: EVGA Supernova FTW3 3080

    Power Supply: EVGA SUPRNOVA 850G2 80G

    Drive: SAMSUNG E 250GB 960EVO NVME M.2 SSD (3 others but who cares)

    So - considering I dropped almost $1000 on the 3080, I said heck, might as well replace a few more things so I'm good for a while. In the end, I'm just looking for what's worth it in regards to the 3080 and CPU. Obviously the new ones will pair better, but heck, if I can get an i9 10900k for $250, that could be better than an 11th gen i7 for probably $100 more.

    submitted by /u/redditman4569
    [link] [comments]

    New build

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 10:04 AM PST

    My current Gaming settup/PC ive had since roughly 2016 if memory serves me right. its getting to a point where its not running games in a way id want (Metro Exodus for example only runs on the lowest of the low settings) im thinking of just building an entirely new one but the current build is:

    EVGA GTX 1050Ti

    Amd FX 8350

    16 gigs of DDR3 1600

    an EVGA 600BQ power supply,

    A WD 1TB harddrive

    Im wanting to go from that current build too something that can run games like Metro Exodus at higher settings or just flat-out be VR ready. budget of roughly 600$ but is flexible, does this community have any recommendations or tips for finding parts? Thanks

    submitted by /u/Signature_Standard
    [link] [comments]

    Can I start a default x570 pro4 board with a Ryzen 5800x directly or do I need a 3000 series first to run the mobo?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 07:39 AM PST

    I have no idea how motherboard bios's work and how they are installed, but this mobo is from 2019 I think and the 5800x was released much later, so I am not sure if the PC will even turn itself on if I put the 5800x in it without a bios update. ATM I have an Intel cpu, so I don't have any "spare" 3000 series to run the mobo on first, so do I need to take it to a PC service shop or something for them to install it or can I do it on my own without another cpu?

    If I can start it with the 5000 series, but need to update it, how am I supposed to do that, will it allow me to go to the desktop or will it be in the BIOS setup area until I update it?

    The manual on their site is published in 2019, so that doesn't help.

    submitted by /u/jakers036
    [link] [comments]

    Gtx 1080

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 10:19 AM PST

    Guys i found a gtx 1080 with 3 fan but one fan does not work well but the temperatures are fine Is gonna be a problem or no ?

    submitted by /u/dinqedini
    [link] [comments]

    (MSI Z490 Tomahawk) Is there way to turn off RGB without download the MSI Dragon Center software (Can I just unplug the RGB wire?)

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 12:06 PM PST

    Hey guys, just build my first pc and everything is perfect. However.... I want to turn off the RGB fans that in front of my P500A case (I connected wire to motherboard so can't use case buttons to turn off).

    I have the MSI MAG Z490 Tomahawk MOBO and after reading around... a lot of people recommended NOT to use MSI's Dragoncenter software as its horrible and causes a lot of problems. So I was wondering, how can I change it without downloading this software. Is it safe to "unplug" the RGB wire that's in my motherboard? Do a lot of people do that? Its not going to effect performance or anything correct?

    Might be dumb question but bare with me, i'm mad noobie lol.

    submitted by /u/r3x416
    [link] [comments]

    Does adding an extra 2 sticks of ram decrease performance?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 10:34 AM PST

    I know it's the opposite of what is usually asked.

    I currently have 8GB of ram, 2 sticks in DUAL channels and I would like to add two of the exact same RAM sticks (Found a refurbished one on ebay) for a total of 16GB.

    I read that if you add a 3rd stick it might hurt performance (Let's say I'll get 12GB in total) because it "ruins" the dual channels, so it lowers the performance of all sticks to have them 'sync well' or something.

    Will it hurt even more if I add a 4th one for a total of 4x4?

    submitted by /u/Infarlock
    [link] [comments]

    Problem with proxy and online games

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 10:19 AM PST

    (Pardon me if it isn't quite fitting for this sub (no response on r/techsupport))

    I have found a somewhat temporary solution to my wifi problem (too far away from pc), as i used an app called (netshare hotspot) to connect to wifi directly from my phone, and it worked, but the problem is, that app only works through a proxy server, which for some reason prevented me from playing all sorts of online games (tried installing valorant, t launcher, mineshafter, and pubg) it just shows a "no internet connection" message.

    The reason I'm sure it's because of the proxy is that I tried connecting directly to the router (barely even registers it) and it could at least start the installation process before cutting out.

    Can somebody help me solve this? Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/RottenMind62
    [link] [comments]

    What GPU Should I get that will go well?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 10:04 AM PST

    Even if it's out of stock, I don't care, I'll wait for it, because I do need to get my PC By like the end of march probably.

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hZ6tBc

    submitted by /u/ExpensiveMercenary
    [link] [comments]

    Pc crashing issue

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 06:44 AM PST

    Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong section but I was wondering if somebody could help me.

    I've been having a crashing issue with my PC for a long time now and have never been able to get it fixed. I've taken it to a pc repair shop and have had my GPU replaced on a RMA, I swapped my motherboard, replaced my PSU. I've ran countless tests such as Prime95 and used memtest. None of the troubleshooting problems ever detected a problem with my hardware but my PC consistently crashes and I get the errors of either " Kernel Power event 41" or " Kernel power event 141" the crashing issue just occurs randomly and my display goes grey and freezes and I get a horrible audio noise and then haha to reset my pc.

    My pc specs are:

    Sapphire RX VEGA 56 Ryzen 5 2600 16GB Corsair RAM Aorus b450 elite Corsair RM850w PSU 1TB seagate hdd 500gb seagate ssd

    This issue has been ongoing for about a year now and I would really like to get this issue fixed, so any help is greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/ElderlyApe
    [link] [comments]

    What happens when bios flashback button is pressed while system is running?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 08:18 AM PST

    Hey guys. Quick question, I recently bought and installed the asus z490-f. At the back it has a bios flashback button. My 'issue' is that i'm afraid I might press it since its so close to the usb ports. Can anyone clarify what happens if I press it if nothing is inserted to the assigned usb port while the system is running? Will I brick the board? Will my system restart? I build systems regularly but I can't seem to find clear info about it.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Fusi0nking
    [link] [comments]

    I made a pc and it smells like it's burning

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 01:26 PM PST

    So I built my first pc two months ago and I finally got the final part today. When I turned it on it immediately smelled like something was burning so I turned it off. I have been looking up why it was doing this but the only things I could find was a problem with the psu, the heatsinks, or dust. I can provide the part details if need be.

    submitted by /u/Just_Arm_1008
    [link] [comments]

    New Build Boot Loop Only When Rebooting

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 11:33 AM PST

    System: Asrock x570 steel legend, 5800x, Seasonic px750, and sadly ... an rx 580.

    What I've modified in BIOS (though I think this problem happens with default settings):

    - enabled Eco Mode (I was unhappy with temps w/o this enabled. (minimal effect on performance)

    - Increased RAM voltage 1.2 -> 1.3 (my 16 gig single stick 3200mhz ECC wasn't stable without doing this)

    - Used the BIOS fan training + enabled quiet mode

    What works:

    - All torture tests I've run: mprime (blend, small fft, smallest fft), memtest86+, stressapptest

    - Power down (non-reset)

    - power on from power down

    - cold boot

    The symptoms:

    Like I said, everything else seems to work. It's only if I try to "reboot" as opposed to "shut down"

    and then boot does anything go wrong. When I give the instruction to reboot, the OS exits

    (both of them, I dual boot Win10 and Linux) and the monitor powers down. Then, the fans spin

    full speed (My Noctua case fans are jet engines before the system posts and the BIOS slows them

    down), but the monitor never powers up, I never see Asrock's logo, the fans never slow

    down, and my OS never starts up again.

    My suspects are:

    - The RAM. Even though it passes every test I've thrown at it, it didn't pass at the advertised

    speed (3200mhz) until I boosted the voltage a little. Makes me suspicious.

    - The BIOS Firmware. I've upddated to 3.6 (latest version, AGESA ComboAM4v2 1.2.0.0). The

    problem with this theory is that I'm pretty sure that this problem was there with the BIOS

    it shipped with: (3.00). Not 100% sure that is true though.

    - The motherboard. I wouldn't know how to prove or disprove this without a swap.

    - Seems unlikely, but it is possible that I've wired the front panel incorrectly. It's the

    only part of building a PC in this particular case that I don't like. The connectors for the

    front panel don't match the mobo exactly, and are unlike any other case front panel connectors

    i've used. (Case was first manufactured in 2008, that might be the problem with the wiring).

    However, each button and light in the front panel works correctly. So probably not this.

    Any tips? I mean, I could just never use "reboot", and instead just power down the system, and power it back on again, since this works. Kind of a pain though.

    submitted by /u/mlsfit138
    [link] [comments]

    Input on GPU for Structure Studios/Lumion rendering

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 08:29 AM PST

    I'm working on putting together a parts list for a family member who is looking to build a home desktop to use as their main workhorse for project development and rendering.

    The software is getting ready to release a new update and have warned users they potentially will need to upgrade systems in order to continue to use the software.

    Reccomended prebuilt from software developer

    They don't really play any video games so it will almost be used entirely for work projects, so I'm curious if it would be worth them upgrading to a GPU made for workstations as opposed to "gaming".

    Any info or reccomendations from folks who have experience with Structure Studios or similar architect software is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/B1gWh17
    [link] [comments]

    Built my first pc earlier!

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 07:06 AM PST

    Built my first pc earlier. its not much but i am proud of it!

    intel i3 9100f gigabyte gtx 1650 corsair spec delta rgb 16gb 3000mhz corsair vengeance gigabyte b365m motherboard corsair 650w psu 500 gb m.2 (planning on getting a new cpu kind of soon, thinking about i7 9700k)

    submitted by /u/Patient-Name3981
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment