• Breaking News

    Thursday, February 11, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - February 11, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - February 11, 2021


    Simple Questions - February 11, 2021

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 04:00 AM PST

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    After months of waiting and frustration, my first build ever is finally complete

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 10:09 AM PST

    Here it is, waiting since August for the RTX 3000 series launch I finally managed to get a 3070. Also grabbed a 5600x instead of 3700x in the journey. Funny thing is that I got tired of trying to buy a 3070 and decided to just buy the other components and stay with my 1050ti for a while longer. Then one day I went to check the shipping on my motherboard and the buy option was available for the Ventus x3 (yes the first search result on my browser is the 3070 because I checked that link 1000 times). I didn't want to celebrate yet because it was coming in 1 month. But it finally came, it was worth the wait :D

    Here's my setup: https://imgur.com/a/jH3UvXs

    UserBenchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/39713290

    My components: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jHrVHz

    I tried to hide cables as much as possible. According to UserBenchmark my PC is op now lol.

    submitted by /u/David_24_
    [link] [comments]

    6 year old PC - any point in upragding?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 08:48 AM PST

    I am finally having steady source of income and I am thinking of either upgrading the PC I have now or building one from scratch later.

    Time flies and the PC was built 6 years ago, so it can be considered ancient by some - specs below:
    CPU: Core i7-4790k 3,6 GHz

    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3

    GPU: MSI GF GTX970 4GB DDR5 256bit PCI-e (GTX 970 4GD5T OC)

    RAM: 16GB - 2x4GB Goodram 1866Mhz + 1x8GB 1600Mhz

    Hard drive: Seagate ST1000DX001 1TB sATA III 64MB 8GB SSD.

    PSU: Chieftec Smart Series GPS-600A8 600W.

    Case: Aerocool PGS Vs-9 Advance Black USB 3.0 (EN58650).

    Any point in uprading that thing? Or should I just save some money and build new one?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/mikaelsanford
    [link] [comments]

    RAM upgrade

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 10:07 AM PST

    Looking to add RAM to my machine, currently got 1x16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200mhz stick. Looking to add to this, can I add 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200mhz in slots 2 and 4? Other specs - 3080, i7 10700-k, asus prime z490-v

    submitted by /u/mullxn
    [link] [comments]

    Windows is installed on ssd, but can not boot if hdd is not installed

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 11:01 AM PST

    So I was digging around my pc to see what was making noise, and after I couldn't figure out what it was since my fans are quiet, I realized it's my HDD. I shut my pc down and unplugged it since windows is installed on my SSD I thought I would be fine, but when my pc booted up, it said "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key." If it helps, both my drives are MBR, and they were both installed in my pc when I first installed windows 10 to my SSD

    submitted by /u/helioss28
    [link] [comments]

    240 vs 360mm AIO?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 07:11 AM PST

    Hello!
    I'm building a pc and killed my cpu with the stock cooler last time..
    (I bent the pins when taking it off MY FAULT NOT THE COOLER'S, just saying)
    So I want to get an AIO!
    My case fits a 240 and a 360
    I have a ryzen 3800x
    What do I get?
    (Yes I do plan on overclocking and all that good stuff)
    (btw i managed to find both of them for the same price so that doesn't matter)

    submitted by /u/Dirty137
    [link] [comments]

    Should i build a pc worth 1500 and get a cheaper laptop of 500 USD for normal college use or is it better to just get a laptop worth 2000 USD?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 09:05 AM PST

    I'm planning to get a gaming pc or laptop by August or September but I'm really confused as to what i should get. I will use it just for gaming. Currently i play just csgo and i will probably be playing valorant or csgo in future.

    submitted by /u/vishesh0712
    [link] [comments]

    PC won’t boot, won’t turn off

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 09:15 AM PST

    Edit: THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP!!!

    Basically, I've had a crashing issue on my pc since I built it in mid November. It would crash constantly, and I as a pc novice had no clue why. One day I had enough, so I booted it in safe mode, deleted all of my device drivers (except mobo & cpu) and re installed them. This seemed to curb the problem a bit, though it still occasionally crashed

    This morning I was doing my calculus homework online. I left my computer for about 20 minutes, and the monitor was off when I returned. I assumed it was asleep. When I wiggled my mouse to wake it up though, nothing happened.

    I noticed the orange mobo light (labeled DRAM, I have an ASUS ROG STRIX-B450F) that flashes for a second or two when I boot it was stuck on. That was definitely a new issue. I tried to first restart, then power off my computer, but the buttons did not work. My original plan to remove the RAM sticks, dust them off, then put them back was off the table.

    I don't know if the first issue I stated has anything to do with the second. I also don't know if cutting the power mid-boot would hurt it. If anyone could give me some pointers as to what my issue could be and what I could do to fix it, please let me know. I appreciate your help and patience through this massive essay. I'd be happy to provide more details to anyone who could help me out

    PS: I'm not sure if this subreddit is the place for repair issues. If there is a better one, please point me in that direction :)

    submitted by /u/lionspiderbear
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen 5 3600 vs Intel I5 10400F

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 12:03 PM PST

    I am building a pc with a RTX 3060Ti/3070 and have watched about 10-20 build guides. This is my first pc and almost 90% of the builds are using a ryzen 5 3600 but then I watch benchmarks between the two and intel runs better. I also made post on r/buildmeapc and a most of the builds people send me are intel builds. Should I get a Ryzen 5 3600 or a Intel I5 10400F

    submitted by /u/TheMemeFrog09
    [link] [comments]

    Don't know whether my decision for this curved monitor is correct

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 07:15 AM PST

    Hi! I've been playing with Photoshop for some time now. Really enjoying the editing. From previous fascinations to curved monitor, I have done some research. These guys are suggesting Philips 328E1CA for graphics intensive tasks. However, AOC CU32V3 also seems like a great option. Can you guys help which one to go for? Different opinions are also welcomed.

    submitted by /u/ethanography
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions for best cheap NVME ssd

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 09:48 AM PST

    Man it's really hard to buy a ssd this days, so many types of controllers, with or without dram and they don't disclose it, the tlc, mlc,etc...

    So any recomendations?

    submitted by /u/DenuvoSuks
    [link] [comments]

    Thank you everyone for helping me choose parts and informing on how to build a PC!

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 11:46 AM PST

    I have finally put together a placeholder pc (need to change cpu and add gpu when prices go down). Originally, before the 30- series GPUs and the latest gen of Ryzen CPUs came out, I was going to build your average 3600 + 2060/2070 super build, but as new things came out and as pc part prices rose I couldn't afford to build anything.

    My latest plan back in September before the terrible launches of new Nvidia GPUs was to pair the RTX 3070 with a 5600x. It didn't work.

    So here I am with the cheapest RTX 3070 being sold for 950$+ where I live and my amazing placeholder pc.

    Pics: Inside of pc The whole setup

    After watching countless videos from tech YouTubers I still managed to do some dum stuff including touching the thermal paste because it looked cool (my primal instincts kicked in) and pulling the lever after fitting the CPU in and not before as it says in the manual.

    Bloopers: First pic I took right after putting the CPU in Eternally imprinting my fingerprint into the thermal paste

    Once again thank you everyone on this subreddit for helping me (even indirectly, I tend to read a lot of posts here) and I hope I'll be back with a 5600x and a 3070 in a few months!

    submitted by /u/PancakeBoy100
    [link] [comments]

    Building a pc that can do 4k60?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 09:33 AM PST

    Hello there

    Quick foreword- I'm a complete PC noob so any help at all would be much appreciated.

    I recently bought 4k monitor (which I got in anticipation of the PS5 which is still not is stocks) that does 60Hz. I'm basically looking to build a pc to accompany this 4k60 monitor, but I have no clue where to start.

    I do plan on gaming a bit, but also for basic things like running spotify in the background, Netflix, work related stuff, and general browsing

    I have no idea where to start with regards to building this. What types of parts would i need for this general purpose pc, and where do i start?

    I don't have a fixed budget atm, but I'm quite flexible. Ideally I'd like it to be on the cheapside haha but i think the max im willing to go is £1000ish.

    Any help is much appreciated!

    Thanks

    Edit** thanks for your advice guys. The overwhelming consensus seems to be 4k gaming on pc is pricey af hahaa. What if I built a pc for general purpose stuff (Netflix, YouTube, Spotify and work stuff etc) and not gaming. Would that be doable? Or is not worth it to build a pc if it's not for gaming?

    Essentially I want to use my 4k monitor as just a normal monitor on a personal pc Thanks again!

    submitted by /u/nope2361
    [link] [comments]

    Need Advice About What Motherboard to choose...

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 10:25 AM PST

    Here is what I'm currently looking at for a build but any insight on what motherboard?

    CPU- 5600x CPU Cooler- H150i GPU- RTX 3070 MOBO- ????? Memory- 32gb (2x16gb Corsair vengeance RGB) Case- Fractal Design R6 Power supply- EvGA supernova 750w

    This is what I'm trying to gather parts for but I don't know shit about building it

    I'm leaning towards the Rog Strix B550-E? Any help would be awesome!

    submitted by /u/MrKeex
    [link] [comments]

    No POST -- first PC build

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 01:07 PM PST

    I just finished building my first PC. When I turn it, I get no output on my monitor (connected to graphics card via HDMI). I'm getting power as the fans are spinning and the RGB lights on my RAM and graphics card are on. There is an odd thing that happens when I first turn on the power supply, the case fans (D-RGB) flash briefly but then stay off. Also the lights on the RAM seem to turn on whenever the PSU is on, after about 5 seconds, regardless of whether I press the power button. The RGB on the graphics card seems to only turn on when I press the power button on the front of the case.

    Components:

    Motherboard: B550 AORUS elite v2 (rev 1.0)

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (stock cooler)

    Graphics: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 3070

    Storage: AORUS M.2 1TB SSD PCIe Gen 4

    RAM: 2x8GB HyperX Fury DDR4 3200MHz

    PSU: Corsair RM650 modular power supply

    Case: Phanteks P360A D-RGB

    I've been researching for weeks so I really thought everything was compatible out the box, does anyone see any potential issues?

    I guess other than that it would have to be a loose connection or dodgy component somewhere. I've been unplugging and re-plugging everything I can to try and test it but I've had no luck so far.

    If anyone has any ideas I'd greatly appreciate it! If there's any more information you want let me know.

    submitted by /u/Hazza4569
    [link] [comments]

    No post after new cpu install

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 11:47 AM PST

    No post after new CPU install - Help

    Here's the parts list MSI B350 PC Mate Ryzen 5 3600 Patriot 3200 16GB Ram Corsair 550W PSU Radeon 5600XT

    So I've been using a R5 1600 since I built the pc, and decided to upgrade to a Ryzen 5 3600. I knew that I needed to update bios for compatibility- which I did, I installed latest bios from MSI website, and confirmed it was updated on the old CPU. Everything was working on latest bios.

    Installed new CPU - CPU debug light in on, no display to monitor, all fans spinning in case and new cooler is spinning as it should.

    Checked cpu pins, all fine - no bent/broke pins

    submitted by /u/bc2359
    [link] [comments]

    what should i upgrade for better performance

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 12:46 PM PST

    i don't know much about pcs, i only just got back into it. i bought a prebuilt one from a Micro Center and it did good for basic tasks but i want to start playing games like rust and star citizen because i thought they looked really fun. i'm trying not to spend over $700, just wanted to upgrade some parts that would make my pc run better. i was playing RLcraft for minecraft and my game would randomly freeze and crash sometimes, i'm not sure if it was because of my pc or something else. anyways here's my specs

    SPECS: Windows 10 home 64 bit Intel Core i5-7500 processor NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti 4GB ASRock B250M-HDV Motherboard 8GB DDR4 RAM 1.0 TB Hard Drive

    thanks:)

    submitted by /u/LouChipher
    [link] [comments]

    Is this a good gpu

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 11:27 AM PST

    PNY - XLR8 Gaming Single Fan NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER Overclocked Edition 6GB GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card - Blackthe link

    For a midrange build its 300$

    submitted by /u/bigboymigm
    [link] [comments]

    My first PC after years of watching tech youtubers.

    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 11:22 PM PST

    I've been watching LTT, Jayz2cents, Gamers Nexus etc. for years, mouthwatering over their PC builds. Finaly I've decided to build a PC myself.

    Unfortunately I had to buy a very old GPU from the market while waiting for prices/availability on 3000 series to get better.

    The thing that surprised me the most are the thermals. I was going more for the looks with this case (closed front) but I'm idling at 30°C on CPU and 43°C on GPU with GPU fans completly off. In full synthetic load both GPU and CPU temps are in low 70's with the PC being barely audible.

    Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3500X GPU: Gigabyte HD7870 RAM: Patriot Viper 16GB 3200MHz CL16 Storage: Samsung EVO 970 1TB NVMe SSD Mobo: ASRock B450M steel legend Case: Corsair 275R white PSU: Gigabyte P550B Fans: BeQuiet! Shadow wings 2 white AIO: Cooler master ML240L V2

    Pic: https://postimg.cc/RqK6mz8S

    submitted by /u/Mishung
    [link] [comments]

    Caution to those allergic to Jank PC "Builds"

    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 09:28 PM PST

    Greetings and good day!

    As a 22 year old graduating nursing student, I lacked the requisite knowledge, the necessary budget and the required amount of time to learn how to build and set up my own PC. However, despite the horrors and adversity the pandemic has given to all of us worldwide; A positive thing about being locked down and isolated is the enormous amount of spare time we can use to learn and improve on things we are passionate about. For the past few months, I've been deep into this rabbit hole stemming from curiosity; It started with LTT Build Guides then to reading various forums on information. Still I was bottlenecked, The time constraints and information deficit was alleviated but the budget was no where to be found but my tinkering spirit needed to be indulged.

    Desperate, especially since I needed another PC separate from the laptop I currently use for school works which is almost full due to saved recordings of class proceedings. I searched through the basement of my grandmother's ancestral home and found the Acer Aspire 4315 laptop she bought in the mid to late 2000s and a Sega Victor V-Saturn Console [And before you flame me out because this is PCMR, read ahead as it may get better, and for those unfamiliar; the Sega Victor V-Saturn is a JVC branded variant of the Sega Saturn] which was given to me by my uncle.

    Initial boot up of the laptop, which due to the lack of an LCD panel and a very short VGA Cable, had to be ziptied to the back of a monitor.

    Upon initial assessment, the laptop only had the bottom half of the shell; thankfully, the motherboard, I/O and plastic shell (Although full of cracks) was still intact although it lacked SODIMM Memory, a storage drive, a battery, a monitor, a speaker, Mini PCIe Wifi Card and had a broken audio I/O port and a broken keyboard. I was able to procure the various parts needed to make it boot from my inventory of harvested parts from previous laptops I've owned such as the 512 mb of DDR2 SODIMM Memory, a 256 gb Western Digital 5400 2.5" HDD and a USB Wifi Card.The Saturn was in much better shape. When I took both home and booted them up it was surprising seeing the Laptop successfully boot (A fact exemplified by the photo above, which I took and sent directly to my brother in surprise) while the Saturn was beyond the grave and dead AF. To put context into both these machines; On November 2013, our province was devastated by the Super Typhoon Haiyan or Typhoon Yolanda as we called it. Thankfully for us, no one from our family was hurt or lost during the event but most of our material things including hardware were presumed to be damage to the point of no repair or dead included in those hardware were these two machines. It was incredibly surprising to see the Acer Laptop survive the tragedy and time being on the shelf.

    Upon cleaning up the fans and changing the thermal paste which had been there for more than a decade, I noticed that it was a Socket P processor which was up-gradable.

    Mulling over it the next days, I finally decided to do something about the casing, since it was really irritating seeing it behind the monitor. Initially, I wanted to transplant the motherboard into a broken sub woofer's wooden box and integrate a bluetooth speaker into it but seeing as how my tools only included a pair of screw drivers, box cutters, a hack saw, electrical tape and a hot glue, it was not meant to be. Ultimately, since the motherboard's PCB and the dimensions of the Saturn were all too similar, I just had to pull the trigger.Once I removed the electrical and hardware components of the Saturn and gave it to a local electronics recycler, removed the plastic standoffs for the internals; giving me a flat surface to work and painted it (Further reading..) it was ready for work.

    Unfortunately, I was unable to take photos of the build process because at the time I considered it insignificant and had a success rate of 0%.

    The laptop casing was sawed in half and literally placed on top of the Saturn's Shell.

    Casing - since the PCB was slightly larger due to the protruding fans than the Saturn's Shell. I cut a hole in the rear left side of the Saturn; while it already had an access door, had to be expanded due to the size of the PCB. Another opening had to be cut for the video output.

    Another concern to consider was mounting the motherboard into the casing, initially, I had planned on super gluing mother board standoffs in order to slightly elevate the motherboard but was unable to procure the necessary standoffs locally. So, in defiance of proper PC building, I literally sawed off the plastic shell of the laptop to the point in which it fit into the Saturn's shell and used the plastic standoffs in the laptop's shell to mount the PCB. Holding both casings were a pair of zip ties.

    The underside of the Saturn, showing the two zip-ties which joined the Saturn's casing and the laptop's sawed off casing.

    Paint- - A cousin of mine wanted to try hydro-dipping and the top portion of the shell was a viable test candidate. And you might say I violated the art of this machine and it may have looked perfect physical but its paint was yellow as a jaundice. It needed to go and frankly, good riddance. Still kept the bottom portion though in order to retain some of the Saturn's design

    The top portion of the shell.

    Cooling -The laptop's processor heat sink and fan still worked but to increase the lifespan of the system I wanted to add a secondary fan but since there are no fan headers, I salvaged an old PC 3 pin fan and wired up the 5V and ground wires to a USB 2.0 Male, cut a hole on the disc tray portion of the casing and mounted it blowing towards the mother board.. It works while it may be slower than if powered by a 12V source, it's still very effective as it keeps the processor at 23-25 degrees Celsius at idle and 40-50 degrees Celsius at a full load. I'm still hoping to source a fan filter.

    Inputs and Outputs - The laptop has 3 USB 2.0 ports and No USB 3.0 Ports, which is not enough considering I had to insert a USB Mouse, USB keyboard, 5V USB Fan and USB Audio Port. With this in mind, I bought a cheap USB 2.0 Hub for the equivalent of $ 3.34 at a local mall and a sourced a USB Audio Port online for the equivalent of $ 3.95 with shipping. Granted they were cheap, made of plastic and its quality was alright at best, I was still satisfied with their performance especially the USB 2.0 Hub. Hoping to find a PCMCIA USB 3.0 Card although drivers might be my enemy when I pursue that route. Audio was fine, could be better but couldn't complain; better something than nothing at all.

    Rear view, exposing the VGA Port and Fan exhaust cut out.

    Connectivity - At first, I had a TP-Link USB Wifi Card but upon digging my storage further, I was able to find a Wireless-N Mini PCIe Wifi Card but noted the lack of antennas. I was able to salvage antennas from a broken router left behind by our previous ISP (It has been 4 years since and they still haven't taken back the router) luckily, antennas were an IPEX wire which was the ones that connected to the wifi card.Since the card could not be physically screwed into place due to its diminutive size; I took a jank solution as you can see below.

    mini PCIe Wifi Card mounting mechanism (and yes, further cleaning is needed on those fans) - USB Ports are screwed into the other as space is limited.

    CPU - since it was a Socket P processor (it was a Celeron 540; single core). The laptop sports a GL960 Chipset which supports upto a 533mhz FSB but upon reading some forums, I've learned that it may be able to support C2Ds with a bus speed of upto 800mhz. Seeing as the Core 2 Duo T9500 but seeing as it was close to $50.00 with shipping; I was bottlenecked yet again and settled with the Core 2 Duo T8100 which I bought online for the equivalent of $ 7.78 as of posting including shipping. Still a very competent upgrade selection especially for the price.

    Storage - One of my cousins offered to give me their 1TB External HDD if I could recover their files such as vacation images and work files; turns out it was a physical connection damage and was easily able to recover the files. Of course, I offered to give back the 1 TB Drive but they insisted I use it since they already moved on the another external drive. Thanks. Immediately cloned my installation of Windows 7 from the 256 GB into the 1 TB 2.5" SATA Drive in the external HDD.

    RAM - While I was able to procure another 512gb of memory, it was not enough. Luckily, another uncle of mine (Yes, we have plenty of relatives) had a broken HP Laptop that had 2 sticks of 1GB DDR2 SODIMM. Thanks again! Now, I'm able to run dual channel and benefit from the increase in memory bandwidth.

    Power - Since it had no battery and the battery was unreasonably expensive, I settled on using an old laptop power brick which needed to be adapted to fit the laptop's barrel port. Luckily, I was able to use a port adapter from a universal laptop charger I used years ago.

    Additional Changes - Changed the original CMOS battery since it was resetting the BIOS settings when disconnected, was able to buy a CR 2032 battery for less than the equivalent of $ 1.00.Change the stock thermal paste with a Cooler Master IC Value V1 Thermal compound which costs free since I only used a friend's tube.

    Future Upgrades:

    • Hoping to use the disc drive's SATA port with a 13 pin to 22 pin SATA adapter for use with another drive; possibly a 2.5" SATA SSD for faster boot times and increased responsiveness.
    • Still gunning for that Intel Core 2 Duo T9500 though
    • Still looking fro a PCIe Wifi Card that supports AC Wifi and also has bluetooth functionality.
    • Adding a PCMCIA USB 3.0 Port
    • Changing peripherals to wireless peripherals.
    • Hoping to add some RGB, however, should it be out of my budget then maybe christmas lights or LED lights.
    • Convert the original Saturn controller to a USB one for retro gaming (highly unlikely)

    Internals (Yikes)

    Runs windows 7 professional rather well, video playback is smooth even at 1080p especially considering the integrated GMA X3100 graphics adapter and youtube playback is almost smooth upto 720p when using the H.264 chrome plug-in (1080p video have slight stuttering, I reckon a memory limitation.) Runs GTA : San Andreas at 900p low settings consistently at 35-45 fps, Runs Half-Life 2 at 900p lowest settings at 45-60 fps but frame drops are very pronounced. I didn't do synthetic benchmarks as I didn't think it was relevant for the purpose of the machine.

    Front view

    Time well spent, I'm typing this post using this machine. I've transferred all of my school recordings to the drive and have not experienced any problems so far. Although, transfer speeds were pretty dismal but I'll be downloading the recordings from cloud directly to the machine so it will be alleviated. For a machine that basically costs me less than $15 in my equivalent currency, a few errands and bargaining skills, it's a respectable albeit old machine that is surprising capable of basic tasks such as surfing the internet, watching movies and file storage.

    Internal view with the fan

    And some of you may ask. Why? Because I wanted to and that's the thing; If you want to do something or learn something then what's your excuse? Don't be afraid to think that you're doing it blindly or doing it wrong because everyone is and everyone is scared of doing something they are unfamiliar with. Eventually, if you take the leap and just do it then you'll soon find it comforting and somewhat enjoyable. Curiosity, Creativity and Courage. I forgot where I read the "3Cs of life" but living by that mantra and incorporating it to all aspects of live generally promote fine results.

    Hot glue and electrical tape combo.

    and Yes, it may not be a Ryzen 9 5900X with a Nvidia 3080 or other FICTIONAL HARDWARE, but it works and it's enough.

    PC Hardware is everywhere. It's understandable to have the necessary hardware for gaming or work but if you're a beginner like me and want to do things just for the sake of doing it then a little bit of lucky and hard work at scavenging and searching for parts is well worth your while.

    If you have recommendations or want to talk, PM away!

    This is truly the case of the journey being the best part rather than the destination.

    I've shared my first "Build" story, I hope you've enjoying it and have a nice day.

    submitted by /u/Justin34L
    [link] [comments]

    Rtx 3000 bypass with iGPU

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 09:17 AM PST

    Hello, i have a question to ask.
    Originally, i wanted to build my first pc now, cause my laptop is coming to an end (poor old buddy :()
    I looked for a ryzen 5600x, MB: MSI b550 a pro and a new rtx 3060 (ti) Total budget: ~1300€. Anyways, i am kind of a noob and i realised: GPU market is absolute shit at the moment. now i thought about something different: purchasing a cpu with an iGPU included and going for the 3060 later. yeah gaming and stuff would not be possible, but at least i could now buy all important parts and use this pc in the meantime and find a gpu later.

    BUT: i am a noob. i have no idea if i just can swap amd stuff for intel (except the MB of course, i think i have to change that), but what about RAM? Cooler? Case?

    So, i saw that the i7 10700k would be the same price as the ryzen 5600x, with even 8 cores, slightly better perfomance for the price and an iGPU. Would that be a good solution? Are there better cpus with iGPU? are iGPU complete shit? Any remonnendations for intel Mainboards (i just got a nice overview of AMD mainborads, no idea about intel)?.

    Please help, i just need a new pc, why is this pandemic fucking everything up?

    submitted by /u/TechNoobThe1st
    [link] [comments]

    Be quit pure rock prevent me from using 4th RAM slot

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 04:21 AM PST

    Hello all,

    I have a Be quiet pure rock mounted on an MSI X470 gaming pro and I have two issues :1 - I can't use the fourth RAM slot because my Corsair vengeance are too high to fit under the be quiet2 - The be quiet can't me mounted horizontaly but only vertically so the cooler take the hot air from the CG that is beside

    So I wanted to ask for advice, I don't know if I should replace the CPU cooler for a smaller one or the motherboard for a model that have more space between the CPU and the RAM slots. If you have advice on the cooler/MB model I'll take it :)

    Thank you for reading !

    Edit : Thank you for your answer I'll go for a new ventirad it's the less expansive and more conveniant solution

    Edit 2 : So I bought a pure rock slim and works fine, for the other that encouter the same proble here is some photo of the issue :

    https://ibb.co/3Yk2ZZ0

    https://ibb.co/C6nqwy8

    For people that encounter the same issue :

    If this is not due to the cpu fan position, you can try to take low profile RAM if you still can return the ram you bought. If it doesn't work buying a smaller ventirad seams to be the cheapest and conveniant solution

    submitted by /u/Majideuxfr
    [link] [comments]

    this $15 case i bought

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 12:09 PM PST

    $15 case is this decent "InPlay Meteor 01" or is there better ones?, just bought this case now

    submitted by /u/WillChangeLater420
    [link] [comments]

    UPS & Surge Protection in Ungrounded House

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 10:55 AM PST

    Hello! I've been doing some armchair research, but fully admit that I'm nothing of an expert in these matters, so please feel free to correct any wrong assertions that I make.

    I live in a house from the early 60's, and there is no ground wire present. I've been thinking about adding both a UPS and surge protection in front of my computer, and I'd welcome any expertise here. Many of the UPS units I've seen offer surge protection, but all that I've been able to identify (I can't tell on most) rely on MOV, which I understand doesn't do anything on an ungrounded outlet.

    1) Does anyone make UPS units that have "mode 1" "type 1" or " SASD" surge protection? (I've seen all three of those, I assume they're the same but I'm not sure...)

    2) If not, does it make sense to go Ungrounded outlet ->ZeroSurge(for example) surge protector -> UPS -> Computer? Will there be any issues with having the MOV protector from the UPS attached to the mode 1 style protector? Will the UPS read as having improper wiring?

    3) Any strong feelings on what surge protectors are best for ungrounded houses? Zerosurge seems like a good fit based on the use cases on their website, but I'm open to suggestions here.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/chewiemonstar
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment