• Breaking News

    Monday, February 8, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - February 08, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - February 08, 2021


    Simple Questions - February 08, 2021

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 04:00 AM PST

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Let’s normalize reading directions BEFORE posting on Reddit

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 10:00 AM PST

    Title says it all

    submitted by /u/Big_Haus_222
    [link] [comments]

    My RTX 3080 FE and AMD Ryzen 7 5800x build

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 09:25 AM PST

    Pictures!

    Wasn't planning to build a new rig yet until intel's new offerings came out to compare with AMD but I "won" the first newegg shuffle and was able to buy a 5800x combo at MSRP so I figured that was a sign, luckily enough I got a 3080 FE at bestbuy for MSRP a few weeks after launch, yet another Lian Li O11 build but dammit its a good case!

    • AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
    • MSI B550 Gaming PRO Carbon (came with the newegg bundle)
    • Nvidia RTX 3080 FE
    • 32 GB Trident Z NEO DDR4-3600 CL 16(4x8 GB)
    • 2 TB Sabrent Rocket 4 plus M.2 NVMe SSD (7100/6600 read write)
    • Corsair H150i Elite Capellix Cooler 360mm
    • Corsair RMx 850 watt PSU
    • Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Case
    • 6x Corsair LL120 RGB fans
    • Lian Li Strimer 24 pin RGB cable
    • Cooler Master vertical GPU kit
    • LINKUP PCIe 4.0 Riser cable
    submitted by /u/mrjoeyjiffy
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone know how to find a single stick of gskill rbg trident z 8gb 3200? I have a bad stick and can't return it.

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 07:39 AM PST

    Schuck a Direct TV Box for Hard Drive

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 09:07 AM PST

    Someone sent me this tik tok earlier (link below): Guy u/dylan844 goes to goodwill/salvation army and buys a direct TV box for ~$5 and schucks it for a 1TB hard.

    Figured it may help some of those on a budget or looking for a steal.

    I don't know squat about the DVR systems to tell you the HD operates at xxxxRPM, and I can't advise if repurposing is as easy as "right click, format, " but I figured I'd share, and maybe someone else can help answer questions/tell you it's worth the time or whatever.

    Link: https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMed5Qb7E/

    submitted by /u/CodithEnnie
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen 9 3900X, or 7 5800X?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 05:17 AM PST

    I'm stuck between the two, I was going to go for the 9 3900x due to 12 cores, but I popped both these CPUs into Userbenchmarks.com - and the Ryzen 7 5800x outperforms in a lot of the listed stats (This surprised me a bit).

    That being said, I do a lot of multitasking. I max out 32gb ram pretty often (upgrading to 64gb for this build.).

    Since the 9 3900x has 12 core, would it be MUCH more beneficial to multitaskers than the ryzen 7 5800x? Or is the difference between 8 cores to 12 cores unnoticeable for other multitaskers out there? Or should I just wait to get a 9 5900x? I'd love suggestions or inputs from owners of either!

    submitted by /u/LaneBerry
    [link] [comments]

    RTX 3090 and low FPS

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 10:27 AM PST

    Hey guys,

    I've build a pretty solid system with

    RTX 3090 (Palit Gamerock OC) with the 461.40 game ready drivers

    i5 9600K 3.7Ghz

    16GB 2666Mhz HyperX Fury DDR4

    1GB M.2 SSD

    Cooled with 4x Thermaltake Riing 120mm and Noctua NH-L9x65

    Samsung Odyssey G7 (G-Sync 240Hz) 2560x1440 resolution

    Windows 10 Pro

    I've build a few systems and I remotely know what I'm doing.

    What baffles me is that my system runs between 50-70 Celsius, my GPU is Never over 65% and I get only 170FPS in games like Rainbow Six Siege or Battlefield.

    I've tried different diagnostics and also removed all limitations from the Nvidia settings regarding FPS caps.

    The most ridiculous facts: I can tune the graphics on R6S down to „Low" and it's still not going over stable 200FPS. I also tried lowering the resolution and it's still not having a huge impact. A card like the 1660 OC / Gaming is getting better results. Please don't tell me I should have bought that card then - I need the RTX for rendering. 🥸

    Does anyone have an idea how to fix this? Because I'm sure that it can't it 😭 Thanks 🙏

    submitted by /u/tars52892
    [link] [comments]

    I think my GPU has failed me.

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 12:43 PM PST

    I was just playing some csgo, not very demanding, and first my screen went black. Nothing happened when I pressed any keys on the keyboard so I held the power button to turn the pc off. Then I restarted the pc and kept playing. After 2 hours this happened. I can continue using the pc, it's not like it doesn't boot or anything.

    My pc specs: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 w/ stock cooler GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT GAMING usually 75C under load (Red Dea Redemption 2) Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max II PSU: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8Gb 3600MHz CL18 Case: Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow 3 120mm front intake fans 1 120mm back exhaust.

    Is the hope for my GPU gone?

    submitted by /u/Peppanomaly
    [link] [comments]

    AMD Stock Cooler - good or nah?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 11:32 AM PST

    I'm sure this question gets asked a lot, but I'm currently trying to save any money I can. My CPU is a Ryzen 5 3600 and I hear generally positive things about the Wraith cooler, but I want to be extra certain. I don't plan to overclock but definitely intend play AAA titles at at least 1080p 60fps and use larger applications like music and video editing.

    submitted by /u/MeekBaboon
    [link] [comments]

    Coil whine? or something worse?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 01:46 PM PST

    Had my PC (i7-10700k, 650W Corsair, RTX 3070, Dark Rock 4 pro, Z490-P) for a few weeks now. I noticed today while playing Cyberpunk 2077 that when the game is unpaused a weird buzzing noise is coming out of the case. This noise goes away completely as soon as I pause the game.

    I recorded the noise, when the noise starts and stops is when I pause and unpause the game a few times (https://streamable.com/qq5qvr)

    I've had coil whine issues on previous PCs before, but don't want to be too quick to diagnose the issue as nothing serious, so thought I'd get a 2nd opinion.

    submitted by /u/Musashi28
    [link] [comments]

    Compressed Air can

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 01:34 PM PST

    I was using a compressed air can to clean out dust from my PC, then I accidentally tilted the can slightly without realizing and a small portion of liquid sprayed into the fan part of my GPU. The liquid quickly evaporated, but I let it sit there for an hour , after reading up about this liquid online, and I powered the PC back on. Everything seems to work fine, I am going to run a game quickly to see if everything is actually fine. I was just wondering if this liquid can cause any kind of damage to my PC? Has anyone experienced this before?

    submitted by /u/Behemoth317
    [link] [comments]

    Is buying a prebuilt the best option right now?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 01:19 PM PST

    I was planning on building a gaming pc in the near future but the current prices are ridiculous and it looks like it could be a while before that changes. The computer I have right now wasn't made for gaming and can barely handle anything, so I don't want to wait an extended period of time. How bad of a deal would it be to get a prebuilt right now? I was looking at something like this. https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gaming-Instant-Ship-GM-99507

    submitted by /u/Dry_Ant001
    [link] [comments]

    First PC build with my son completed! Thanks to you guys

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 10:53 AM PST

    After a brief hiccup with some clicking noises, my very first PC build is now complete! Thank you to anyone I'm this sun who helped me and educated me on different hardware and sites, like PCpartpicker. If anyone had any ideas for more cable management, I'd love to hear them, especially for my power cable. I toile everything out of a pre-built PC and kept the case and then installed all the new components. Thank you again, to anyone who helped. It was a great experience to share with my son, albeit intimidating.

    Edit: I've been informed I suck at fan install and the back fan is flipped. It has been rectified and is now facing the correct direction

    New PC parts: B550 Gaming plus motherboard MSI Radeon x5600XT RYZEN 5 3600 Thermaltake 600W PSU CORSAIR 16GB RAM INTEL 1TB M2 SSD PHANTEKS P400A midsize tower

    Build picture

    submitted by /u/doctc201
    [link] [comments]

    How much does core & thread count matter?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 11:43 AM PST

    Hi :) new to both reddit and PC building.

    I'm looking into different processors, and am trying to decide between an intel one with 4 cores + 8 threads and a ryzen with 6 cores 12 threads, both at 3.6 GHz. The intel is drastically cheaper, which fits my budget better ($115ish versus $200!)

    Is it worth it to spend the extra cash for the ryzen? I am looking for at least a mid lvl gaming experience but don't need to run anything too crazy— just minecraft, valorant, etc.

    edit: considering the intel core i3 10100 and AMD ryzen 5 3600

    submitted by /u/Hot-Captain-7941
    [link] [comments]

    Case fans tuned to mobo or CPU?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 04:57 AM PST

    Hi so I'm wondering if I should make my case fans controlled by mobo or CPU temps. Any ideas would be appreciated 👍

    submitted by /u/joec-05
    [link] [comments]

    Do Nvidia make more founders cards after the original ones sell out?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 11:22 AM PST

    I am waiting to buy a 3060 when they eventually release and can be bought. I know the chances of me getting ones are slim and i wonder, do they make more founders cards after the first sell out. Or if i dont get one when they relase will i not be bale to get a founders card form Nvidia ever again?

    submitted by /u/Frectroware
    [link] [comments]

    What are some 144hz monitors for £50-£100? ($70 - $140)

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 02:06 PM PST

    Complete noob PC build.

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 08:04 AM PST

    Looking to build a gaming PC (based in the UK) and having watched multiple YT videos it seems relatively straightforward, however the parts are a minefield and I'm super lost so could do with a little push in the right direction.

    Predominantly I'll be playing Warzone and other such games so ideally looking for components which will get me to a consistent steady FPS (100+). There would be no streaming/recording or running multiple things at one time so perhaps this dictates more which components would fit best for me.

    Preference would be for a white colour scheme and a build that would perform on both a monitor and a Samsung 4K TV.

    Budget wise, sub £2k

    Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Coopdecoeur
    [link] [comments]

    XMP profile enabled but not enough?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 11:04 AM PST

    I dont understand the xmp profiles exactly. My ram default is 2133 and with xmp profile on it maxes at 2666 when they go up to 3200. Can I still increase this somehow?

    submitted by /u/sldalz
    [link] [comments]

    Noise from aio radiator

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 01:47 PM PST

    I've just finished my new build (still waiting on a rtx3070 so will be using an ancient gt210 till then) and generally the system seems quiet, but there is a hum/whine coming from near the top of the radiator. Any idea on what it is and how to get rid of it? Video of the noise

    submitted by /u/um12374
    [link] [comments]

    Is it wise pair a R5 5600X with a GTX 1060 3GB?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 12:05 PM PST

    I'm in the process of building a new computer, I'm thinking wether I should get a new chassi and fall in line for the 5600X. I already have all other parts ready, so I'll just build the new PC when everything comes, but use a 1060.

    Can I use my GTX 1060 3GB, paired with the 5600X in the meantime while I'm waiting for the 3060ti? Or is it not worth and should just wait?

    Thank you kindly.

    submitted by /u/VinchVonch
    [link] [comments]

    Chipset running too slow (?) on x570 Motherboard (MSI Tomahawk Wifi)

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 10:50 AM PST

    Hi all,

    I am still struggeling with my nvme drive that is only running at roughly 1/4 of the advertised speed (970 evo) when using the m2_2 slot on my board.

    It works perfectly fine in the slot that is assigned to the cpu (m2_1).

    Upgrading the bios (most recent version 1.5) or AMDs new chipset driver did not help, nor did a windows reinstallation or Samsungs NVME driver.

    After checking HWinfo I noticed that the NVME controller is correctly showing PCIe 3.0 x4 with 8.0 GT/s as current link speed.

    However, this is not the case for the corresponding PCIe Bridge (see Screenshot) which seems to be running slow - this would definitely explain the read/write speed of my drive (~830 instead of 3500 Mb/s).

    https://imgur.com/a/jRmFn8x

    But except for the option in the bios to force the chipset PCIe to Gen 3, 4 or Auto - which does not have any effect - I do not know what to do.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks!!

    (Rest of my build: 5900x, 3090 strix, 4x 8Gb Corsair Vengeance RGP 3600)

    submitted by /u/Jimmy2042
    [link] [comments]

    I think I messed up buying an 850w Gold PSU

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 01:33 PM PST

    I'm going to run a 5800x and a 3070. I thought it would be best to overbuy on the wattage to never have to worry about the PSU or anything else (e.g. if a 5080 ever came out). It should also mean the PSU fan never turns on even when gaming which seemed like a bonus.

    However I have read something about efficiency nosediving under 10% and on idle my system is going to be WAY under 10%. About 14w for the 5800x and 10w for the 3070 (TechPowerUp review). Add in misc things that's about 30w idling. 3.5% of 850w.

    How bad is the efficiency at these ranges and should I think about going back to a gold rated 650w due to these reasons?

    submitted by /u/sunshinesontv
    [link] [comments]

    Experiencing less performance than expected

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 11:47 AM PST

    Hello,

    Yesterday I built my new gaming pc, with the following specs:

    GPU: Gigabyte rx 6800xt OC 16G
    CPU: Intel i7 10700k
    RAM: 16gb corsair 3200mhz (XPM is turned on)
    MoBo: Asus Prime Z470-A
    PSU: Corsair 750w 80 Gold plus

    I run a three monitor setup, with all monitors being 1080p.

    When playing games, I get the feeling that my pc performs lower than it should. For example when looking at gpucheck.com, it tells me that while playing Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon wildlands, I would get 150fps on average benchmark. In my case I get around 75-80fps.

    (Source: https://www.gpucheck.com/game-gpu/ghost-recon-wildlands/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt/intel-core-i7-10700k)

    In other games I also get lower fps than stated in benchmarks with the same setup. (GTA V (190 expected, 120 actual), Rainbow Six Siege (486 expected, 381 actual). In Ghost Recon Wildlands I noticed in the AMD software that the gpu load doesn't exceed 70%, CPU load sticks around 25%, and RAM usage 3gb.

    In 3Dmark the gpu and cpu perform as expected in the Time Spy benchmark. In UserBenchmark they also perform as expected, no surprises there. Here the GPU usage goes up to 100% no problem.

    Things I already tried:
    - Reinstall and update AMD drivers
    - Removed other monitors from GPU
    - Powered GPU with 2 separate cables instead of the daisy chain one
    - Disabled FreeSync and V-Sync
    - Uninstalled all RGB software, just to try it
    - All fps caps are disabled ingame
    - Reseated GPU in the PCIe slot

    Can anybody help me with this problem, because I don't know what I can do to reach the fps I expect with a setup like this.

    Kind regards

    3DMark benchmark: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/58016529.

    submitted by /u/basroggel
    [link] [comments]

    first build complete

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 03:05 PM PST

    I decided to build a pc instead of waiting on xbox series x restocks that were sold out everytime.

    decided to go "higher" end

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pJgcVc going to buy a sata ssd soon

    Sea of thieves is deffinitly capped at 72 fps at any preset for some reason

    Forza horizon 4 ultra preset benchmark 94 - 110,8 - 136,1 fps (min, avg, max)

    Forza horizon 4 ultra preset gameplay around 135 fps

    Star wars battlefront 2 highest preset 111fps avg (in campaign)

    cinebench multicore - 6153

    would've loved to include some screenshot, but its not allowed in this server

    submitted by /u/Yea-Right-man
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment