• Breaking News

    Friday, January 29, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - January 29, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - January 29, 2021


    Simple Questions - January 29, 2021

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 04:00 AM PST

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Mouse roll click doesn't work as well as it used to? Got long haired pets in the house? Take the mouse apart before getting frustrated.

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 12:56 AM PST

    Inspired by my own tale of woe, which started by me googling "endgame gear xm1 middle click issues", "endgame gear xm1 mouse roll difficult click", worrying whether my copy of this often recommended mouse had some defects (I bought it only about 3 months ago), or maybe I was used to lighter click than the reviewers. Then not finding any useful results followed by weeks of frustration. Finally, I had an epiphany when I saw my cat jump on the desk and lose some fur around the mouse.

    The gory insides of XM1

    Removed fur rolls

    Hope this saves people some time and frustration. And I beat myself up for not coming up with the solution sooner - I grew up in a time when removing lint from mouse ball rollers was a monthly chore.

    Edit: It seems a lot of people are afraid / don't know how to take apart a mouse. I understand the confusion - removing the sticky pads to reveal the screws can be scary if you're doing it for the first time to an expensive piece of hardware. A lot of useful advice in the comments, but my general method is to Google 'X disassembly', where X=brand and model of the hardware. In my case I just followed this YouTube video about Endgame Gear XM1 disassembly.

    submitted by /u/reizuki
    [link] [comments]

    My PC won’t turn on while my RTX 3070 is connected to the power. Please help!

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 08:51 AM PST

    Hey,

    So for the past few months I've had a PC with no graphics card and it's worked fine. Ever since I bought an RTX 3070 it hasn't switched on while connected. It will turn on again once it's been unplugged.

    I went through and explored LOADS of different troubleshoot options. Updating the BIOS, checked the specs, contacted Nvidia and even got a brand new RTX 3070 sent to me. All of this has ended in the same result, my pc still will not power on.

    I really don't know much about PCs, I'm completely lost for any ideas and I really need some help lol

    OS - Windows 10 64bit

    https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Tomskibro/saved/

    I realise a lot of the specs don't matter but thought I'd post the full list just incase,the graphics card is obviously not what it says it is on the list but the rest is correct. Can provide photos or anything else

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Tomskibro
    [link] [comments]

    Do I need to have my PCIe express clip on for my 3070? Or can it just work fine without it clipped?

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 07:54 AM PST

    It didn't click when I pushed the GPU in, but the GPU is in good, and I pressed hard.

    submitted by /u/diirtnap
    [link] [comments]

    How are is everyone actually getting their GPU's?

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 11:39 AM PST

    I've seen quite a few people actually manage to snag a new GPU and it boggles my mind because I've struck out every time I've tried but I also refuse to shop eBay for scalpers... any advice?

    submitted by /u/Zill96
    [link] [comments]

    Black void swallowing games

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 10:23 AM PST

    Howdy y'all,

    I just got my first PC a few weeks ago and I have been getting these weird graphical problems in Red Dead Redemption 2 and Doom Eternal, where suddenly a black spot will appear on my screen and then quickly swallow almost the whole game (screenshots from Red Dead). Usually changing Red Dead to and from full screen and borderless windowed will fix it for a anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes and just opening a pause menu then closing it will fix Doom. I guess I should mention that these are the only games that are having problems (given the only other games I have been playing are Portal 2, Rocket League, and Fall Guys).

    As for my GPU, I have a Founder's Edition RTX 3060ti with driver version 461.40, and here is a link to the rest of build incase that is relevant.

    Does anyone have any idea what could cause this or how to fix it?

    submitted by /u/shrub13
    [link] [comments]

    I have a new 5 year old samsung 860 Evo that never was used, will it work as new?

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 09:00 AM PST

    Will it work as new? Or should I replace it with a new one to avoid any problem.

    It is a 500gb 860 Evo ssd

    Edit: The reason it was never used is because apparently there are different types of ssd and dimensions. I didn't know that 5 years ago when I wanted to expand my laptop storage... haha at least It is useful for me now that I built my pc :D

    submitted by /u/Miguelruiz_
    [link] [comments]

    Is it worth it to pay the extra charge to have a BIOS update installed by the seller?

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 10:17 AM PST

    I guess I'm just getting a little paranoid because I've installed all the usual parts before, but never a CPU. But to soothe myself, here goes:

    So I'm planning on getting a new CPU to replace my trusty ol' Ryzen 7 2700x. I intend to get a MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON - this one, specifically - and a Ryzen 7 5800x.

    Now I've recently become aware that some mainboards need a BIOS update before they can work with certain CPUs. I have zero experience with BIOS whatsoever and am kind of nervous that I might not be able to do it if it is necessary, especially since my old CPU doesn't fit the new mainboard as far as I understand.

    Now, MSI's website states that this mainboard is compatible with 5000 series CPUs, but they are rather new, whereas the mainboard is two years old - in my paranoid mind, it's possible that the seller has mainboards from launch in stock which have not yet received the updates released since.

    Do you have any experience with this mainboard? Do you guys think it's worth shilling out the 30€ they'd want for a BIOS update just to be safe?

    submitted by /u/JesusJizztoph
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible or impossible to upgrade my pre-built Pc ?

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 06:06 AM PST

    Spec -Intel Core i3-9100f 3.60GHz -AS Rock H310CM-HDV -8GB DDR4-2666 Patriot Premium (2) - AMD Radeon RX 560 2GB -Maxtor Z1 240GB 2.5IN SATA3 SSD -550 Watt Gamdias Kratos M1 80+ Bronze

    submitted by /u/Prisvh
    [link] [comments]

    Need help choosing a CPU (options given) to build around (non-US)

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 12:51 PM PST

    I just need help with choosing the CPU.

    What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better.

    The build is for my brother, who is a young architect that works on his computer for his personal projects, using software such as CAD.

    If gaming, what kind of performance are you looking for? (Screen resolution, framerate, game settings)

    Gaming is not at all a concern.

    What is your budget (ballpark is okay)?

    Around $500.00 USD (+/- 50USD) for the CPU would be nice.

    In what country are you purchasing your parts?

    México. Yep, it's going to be a challenge.

    Provide any additional details you wish below.

    Buying computer parts in México is kind of awkward at the moment. We do not have a lot of options (not reliable for the kind of money spent, at least), so we are sticking to what is available through Amazon. Prices and availability vary VERY, VERY wildly when comparing with the US, and that's the reason why we want to focus first on the CPU, and build our way up. For example, a PNY 1650 Super goes for $500.00 USD+ (which is cheaper than 570's). With that in mind, I present the options available which seem appealing (I've also found compatibe mobos for these already):

    • Ryzen 7 5800x, $550.00 USD (5900x goes up to 860USD...)
    • Ryzen 7 3700x, $385.00 USD
    • Intel i9-9900k, $500.00 USD (10900k goes up to 700USD)
    • Intel i7-10700k $470.00 USD

    Personally, I'm leaning towards the 3700x and using the extra money on getting a better graphics card if the availability allows it, unless anyone has something to say about it. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/ElMarvin42
    [link] [comments]

    How would a Quadro P4000 work for gaming?

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 12:44 PM PST

    I'm going to be building a pc for my girlfriend soon and I told her that she can use an extra Quadro that I have laying around until she gets a gaming card since GPUs aren't exactly easy to find right now. How would it perform as a gaming card since it's not what it was designed for?

    submitted by /u/Decrescendo___
    [link] [comments]

    My Ryzen reaches 100 C during gameplay

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 02:12 PM PST

    Hi Reddit,

    I have a PC that is in dire need of cooling. I mainly play CSGO, and on my second monitor I had MSI Afterburner with the hardware monitor. I noticed that during a competitive match, I reached over 100 C. I ordered a case fan splitter because my motherboard has only 1 fan plug (and I have 3 fans) but my dumbass forgot that it will arrive in April. I'll give you the relevant specs in case it helps:

    • Ryzen 5 1600
    • Gigabyte GA-A320-S2H (I bought this because I didn't have much money to buy a B450M, but in hindsight I should have saved some money for it.)

    • NZXT Beta Mid Tower (I had this because I had an old mobo from the late 2000's and swapped the mobo because I had an RX 580 that wouldn't work otherwise)

    • Stock AMD cooler (I mainly want to get an AIO)

    I want to get an AIO (as I earlier mentioned) but with my case you can't mount a radiator inside, rather you thread the tubes through some rubber-insulated holes on the back and mount the radiator on the back. I've heard AIOs are closed loop and would break if you cut them open to thread the tubes from outside. I'd think you could mount it on the bottom but that's not good for the AIO (at all).

    Last thing is I'll show pictures of my case (please excuse my god-awful cable management.) here. Hopefully this is helpful.

    Any kind of suggestions would be great, such as some good air coolers, AIOs that would fit my case, etc etc. I'd really appreciate to hear some advice. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/throwaway_account160
    [link] [comments]

    Y'know what would be kind of interesting? A Noctua AIO!

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 10:26 AM PST

    Imagine if Noctua made an AIO. I wanna see what it would look like. LET'S TRY TO MAKE IT HAPPEN!
    Imagine how interesting it would be for Noctua to experiment in something they haven't done before lol.

    submitted by /u/SpiritKey_
    [link] [comments]

    Am I screwed? I tried installing an M.2 SSD on a B550i Aorus Pro AX, but the standoff screw was sheared off as I tried to remove the heat sink.

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 10:25 AM PST

    Pun intended.

    The heat sink covering the M.2 drive had a screw that I unscrewed, and when I lifted the heat sink I saw that the head of the standoff screw was still attached to the screw that I just unscrewed. The standoff screw got sheared and the thread is stuck in the barrel.

    Here's what it looks like.

    I need help.

    submitted by /u/Darkluigi333
    [link] [comments]

    Baby's first PC

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 01:58 PM PST

    Long time console pleb here, wanted to share my first PC build.

    Spent about $1100 total for everything, so pretty decent for a budget I thought. I had to get a used GPU (sapphire nitro+ rx 580) since the market is straight up screwed right now, but I don't play anything too demanding so it's enough for me until I can upgrade comfortably.

    Two months ago I didn't know anything about how a computer actually worked, and was still using my 2011 Macbook Pro from high school. I have always wanted a "real PC" and even more so always wanted to build it myself, but I never had the knowledge/money/time to do so.

    I just wanted to come back and say thank you so much to everyone that comes on this forum to help other people out. And to tell anyone on the fence if you have the money for the parts, just go for it, it's easier than you think if you just read your part manuals and it's a great skill to learn. It's a daunting task when you don't even know where to start, but you guys gave me the resources to go from daydreaming about having a PC to actually building it. You the real MVPs.

    Here's a picture - PC - Imgur

    Yes I know I'm a heathen with no mousepad

    Specifics for anyone interested:

    CPU - Ryzen 5 3600

    GPU - Used sapphire nitro+ rx 580

    Mobo - B450 Tomahawk MAX

    RAM - 16gb LPX Vengeance(2x8)

    Storage - 500 gb samsung SSD, will get a hard drive for extra storage soon but this is enough for now

    PSU - Corsair CX 650M

    Mouse and keyboard - Logitech G502 Hero + Corsair K55 RGB

    Monitor - Aopen 24CL1Y (23.8") - got this cheap ~$70

    Case - NZXT h510i (white) - yes I needed RGB

    Xbox-microsoft 10 adapter so I can just use my stealth 600 xbox headset for the PC - $30 big value

    submitted by /u/Greenhands13
    [link] [comments]

    Second monitor won't display on graphics card.

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 01:25 PM PST

    I need help adding a second monitor, I probably thinking that maybe my graphics card doesnt support multiple displays. My gpu is a Asus GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB DUAL MINI OC Video Card, and I have my main monitor connected to hdmi and the second one Im trying to connect on displayPort. Any help would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/julio_cesar_10_
    [link] [comments]

    No post

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 01:23 PM PST

    So i tried booting my pc and the only thing that came on was ram. I turned off my pc and turned it back on again and it posted for maybe 5 seconds and then it turned off and only had the ram lit up again. I havent been able to get it to post again. Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/DoitPV
    [link] [comments]

    USB Headset/Stereo Mix Compatibility

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 01:23 PM PST

    I just got a Arctis 5 USB headset and I'm trying to get the audio to play on my monitor via HDMI as well (NVIDIA HD audio).

    I've googled for hours and I keep getting told to use Stereo Mix but that does not work.

    I've updated every driver, tried to switch default devices, pretty much everything.

    Anybody else ever have this problem?

    submitted by /u/jasonrice17
    [link] [comments]

    Need to upgrade CPU and Motherboard, need advice

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 01:22 PM PST

    I've recently bought a new CPU and GPU looking for cheapest but most powerful but didn't want to replace my motherboard. However, the performance doesn't seem stable enough for what I'm trying to do, and need to upgrade again to perform more consistently.

    Here is my current PC build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YQfRRT

    Playing games is mostly fine, however, I'm trying to livestream speedrunning Minecraft but after an hour or two of playing, my performance starts to tank to the point where it's not even playable. Resetting my game kinda works, but I feel like I shouldn't have to reset after hour.

    I'm assuming the issue is that the CPU just isn't able to keep up since I'm streaming, and for me to upgrade my CPU I have to get a new motherboard since it's pretty outdated. I was looking into buying a Ryzen 5 2600, but I really wanna avoid buying more parts and still having problems and wasting time and money, so I'd appreciate any advice that could help my PC perform be more consistently.

    Thanks in advance for any feedback.

    submitted by /u/ryandareal
    [link] [comments]

    Used Linux SSD to Windows system?

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 12:56 PM PST

    My friend has given me his old SSD. He ran Linux on it which i don't really have a clue about. How would i go about bringing this into my windows system.

    Thanks for any help. Like i said, total noob when it comes to Linux so if you think you're dumbing it down that's probably just right.

    submitted by /u/Infidel_one
    [link] [comments]

    CPU temperature too high or normal?

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 12:55 PM PST

    Hey there,

    I have an AMD Ryzen 7 5800X CPU and a be quiet! Dark Rock 4 cooler.

    When I play VR Games, CPU temp reaches often the 90°C border and i have to power up my additional case coolers. After that it drops back to ~80°C.

    Is this temperature normal? I always thought I have a way too oversized cooler, but it seems, its just right.

    submitted by /u/Catatafisch
    [link] [comments]

    I want to add a network card but I don’t think it will fit. Please help.

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 12:51 PM PST

    So I'm moving my gaming pc to a new room where I can't use Ethernet. However, I don't see any open pcie slots to put it in. What do I do?

    motherboard with gpu out

    motherboard with gpu in

    submitted by /u/Acceptable_Ball3136
    [link] [comments]

    High Idle Temperature with 3090

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 12:42 PM PST

    I just installed my 3090 and noticed the idle temperature is, kinda high? Also fans at 0 RPM, i've read that the EVGA card fans only start running once the card reaches 55C, can anyone confirm?

    submitted by /u/AidThisFellowUser
    [link] [comments]

    Which monitor technology is best for cheap-ish monitors? (130$)

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 12:37 PM PST

    Im looking to buy a new monitor for around 130$, and Ive been trying to avoid going for TN panels so I was thinking for either going for a VA LENOVO D24-20 (118$) or an IPS ASUS Eye Care VA24DQ (135$). Which one of these is the better decision? Should I go for another monitor, and if so what type of monitor? Any help would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/gamer0017C
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment