• Breaking News

    Monday, December 21, 2020

    Hardware support: Faulty Corsair HX1200 / HX1200i PSUs

    Hardware support: Faulty Corsair HX1200 / HX1200i PSUs


    Faulty Corsair HX1200 / HX1200i PSUs

    Posted: 20 Dec 2020 02:33 PM PST

    I'll try and keep this short and to the point;

    There is a known fault with the HX1200 and HX1200i PSUs, and Corsair has done bugger all to make this issue known or to recall the affected units.

    The fault causes some units in the affected range to not correctly power on or pass POST when used with some other hardware

    Your PSU may be one of a select number of units that have been affected with compatibility issues with some motherboards.

    To quote Corsair's website;

    Which PSUs are affected, and how do I check?
    Only a select group of HX1200 and HX1200i are affected by this issue. These units were all sold after July 20, 2020, and you can check if your PSU is within the affected time range by looking at the lot code.
    The affected units are within the lot codes 2030XXXX and 2041XXXX.

    This number is on the barcode sticker on the outside of the box, and is also the first digits in the units serial number.

    Corsair are also claiming;

    Please note that the affected PSUs pose zero risk to hardware.

    Which is a lie, as my (admittedly old) motherboard was damaged by this faulty unit, and Corsair only partially compensated me for it.

    They've dicked me around for three months, left me out of pocket, and wasted many many hours of my time trying to troubleshoot the issue, rewiring my machine several times, making trips to the post office etc, in the pursuit of resolving this issue, and not once did they mentioned that it was a known issue. Even the replacement unit that they sent to me was within the affected range! They still have not provided me with a refund or a working PSU at this point in time, and infact just closed my ticket without saying a word.

    At this point, I don't know if I even want to use a Corsair power supply any more. I think I might just push for a full refund and try and get a Seasonic instead.

    Relevant links;

    https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360053138271-What-to-do-if-your-system-does-not-power-on-when-using-an-HX1200-or-HX1200i

    https://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200207

    https://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1055828

    submitted by /u/Noxious89123
    [link] [comments]

    (Gamers Nexus) Cyberpunk 2077 1.05 Benchmarks vs. Hex Edit Mod

    Posted: 20 Dec 2020 03:00 AM PST

    IcyDock IcyNano NVMe-to-USB review, the first to have passed my testing (and a quick overview of problems I've had with other units)

    Posted: 20 Dec 2020 11:01 AM PST

    Before I get to the review, I wanted to preface this by mentioning that I've tested a few NVMe-to-USB adapters - and thus far all of them have failed my testing. There are a lot of subpar adapters on the market right now. Here's two examples I recorded last week with a unit I was testing:

    Example 1: The drive disappearing while formatting.

    Example 2: Adapter overheats and then a "USB Device not recognized" error happens

    I am declining to name the adapter in question above, because as of 3 days ago the brand in question said it was investigating my reports (defective unit/batch?) - but I had the same issues happen with other adapters I used last year.

    I'm no buildzoid, nor am I knowledgeable enough to truly analyze PCBs, but I believe it comes down to the quality of the PCBs. Here's a picture showing the PCB of one of the adapters that failed next to the IcyNano's PCB.. I'm noticing that the IcyDock unit has a better capacitor inductor (3R3 vs 2R2) and more components overall.

    Edit: I was sent this unit by IcyDock as a result of my complaints of other adapters on Twitter

    What's in the Box

    • NVMe enclosure
    • Thermal Pad
    • USB A & C Cables
    • User Manual

    Specifications

    • Model MB861U31-1M2B
    • Supports 2230/2242/2260/2280/22110 drives, but only NVMe units (No SATA support)
    • JMicron JMS583 Controller, USB 3.2 Gen 2 support

    Setup & Installation

    The enclosure has two parts – a plastic bottom which the electrical components are secured to, and an aluminum top. Setting up the IcyNano was fairly easy: pop off the top, insert the NVMe drive, and adjust the securing mechanism to the size of the NVMe drive you wish to use. Afterwards, apply the thermal pad and then put the top back on – pretty simple.

    When the included thermal pad is installed on the NVMe drive, it makes contact with the top – which basically turns it into a heat-sink. There are no ventilation holes in the unit, which initially concerned me given my experience with other units. However, during actual usage the device did not get hot at all. For this testing I used a 2tb Intel 660p SSD.

    Stress Testing

    As mentioned in the preface, previous units I have tested universally failed my testing. The first stress test is a series of consecutive CrystalDiskMark runs. Adapters I previously tested would fail after 3 or 4 tests, likely due to overheating, and produce a "USB device not recognized" error in Windows.

    After multiple consecutive CrystalDiskMark tests, the enclosure remained merely warm – it didn't get hot at all. I ran it 8 times in a row before moving to the next test. Synthetic performance was good too, with read speeds just shy of 885MB/s. Here's a screenshot of CrystalDiskMark

    The second test I performed was a simple transfer of the Metro: Exodus and Crysis Remastered game folders, approximately 177GB in total. After I started the transfer I left my computer, half-expecting to come back to the same errors mentioned above. To my surprise, the file transfer had completed without any issues.

    The last test I performed was a full format of the NVMe drive while connected via the adapter, which completed without issue. After stress testing I used the adapter in a variety of scenarios over the course of a few days.

    "Real World" File Transfer Performance

    First, I copied the game folders of Skyrim SE, Sleeping Dogs, State of Decay YOSE, Strange Brigade, The Surge 2, Thief (Reboot), Tomb Raider (2013), and The Elder Scrolls online. Game folders tend to have a lot of large and small files, so this is usually a more taxing test.

    Copying these files from the IcyNano to the host computer. This resulted in average read speeds of ~680mb/sec. Copying the same files to the IcyNano from the host compute resulted in a slower transfer of ~500mb/sec.

    I also tested the transfer of one large, contiguous file. In this case - a 22gb WinRAR file. Copying this file from the IcyNano to the host computer achieved average read speeds of ~710mb/sec. Copying the same files to the IcyNano from the host compute resulted in a slower transfer of ~570mb/sec.

    Conclusion

    At 60$, IcyDock's NVMe-to-USB Adapter is one of the more expensive adapters out there. It's similar in price to ROG's Arion Strix, and there are a lot of adapters in the $20-$30 range.... but I haven't had good experiences with them. The IcyNano doesn't get hot at all during usage, and it suports the largest m2 devices available (where most adapters only support up to 2280). Thus far, this is the only adapter I can recommend based on the experiences I have had. I hope this changes soon, the next adapter I will be reviewing is Asus ROG Arion Strix.

    submitted by /u/bizude
    [link] [comments]

    Intel’s Iris Xe Max Discrete GPU Is Slower Than the Integrated Version

    Posted: 20 Dec 2020 06:17 AM PST

    [TechTechPotato/Ian Cutress] How To (Not) Be The Ultimate Shill

    Posted: 20 Dec 2020 01:11 PM PST

    [VideoCardz] AMD Ryzen 9 5900, Ryzen 7 5800 CPUs, 5700G and 5600G APUs allegedly in the works

    Posted: 20 Dec 2020 04:25 AM PST

    Unedited 1-Hour Mobileye AV Ride in Munich

    Posted: 21 Dec 2020 01:55 AM PST

    The NEW M1 Macs - Windows 10 Running on Parallels (Benchmarking in Geekb...

    Posted: 20 Dec 2020 07:06 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment