• Breaking News

    Thursday, July 22, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - July 22, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - July 22, 2021


    Simple Questions - July 22, 2021

    Posted: 22 Jul 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    3060 at 1440p

    Posted: 22 Jul 2021 07:32 AM PDT

    I plan on getting a PC soon and wanted to ask if the 3060 is good for playing at 1440p.

    submitted by /u/Turtle_Vision_51
    [link] [comments]

    Difference Between 8GB and 16GB of Ram

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 11:36 PM PDT

    Hi guys! i was thinking of upgrading my current pc that has 8GB of DDR4 ram. I was going to add another 8GB and I was wondering how much of a difference would 16GB of ram be compared to my 8GB now? I use my computer for gaming if that helps. Should I get ram or just save for a better graphics card? Thanks

    submitted by /u/Zackari-Brownstone
    [link] [comments]

    2021 GPU - 1080ti vs 2080 Super

    Posted: 22 Jul 2021 07:35 AM PDT

    So, bad timing but I'm in the market to upgrade my old 1060. As of yet the biggest contenders secondhand I can find in my price bracket are the 1080ti and 2080S, I've done a little reading and frankly there's not much I can see between them on data sheets but then again I'm not that savvy. If it makes a difference the system they're going in has a ryzen 5 2600 and 16 gigs of ram.

    • 1080ti's run about 900AUD
    • 2080 supers run about 1100AUD

    Is it worth the extra 200$ ? Or should I aim for saving an extra 400/500 AUD to shell out for a 2080ti?

    submitted by /u/DigitalRagdoll
    [link] [comments]

    Hi, just into PC Building. Wondering if my build has any issues

    Posted: 22 Jul 2021 04:10 AM PDT

    So my build goes:

    CPU: Intel Core i3 10100F

    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1650 D6 VENTUS XS OC

    MOBO: Asus PRIME B560M-A

    RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY 16Gb

    Storage: Silicon Power NVMe 256Gb and Seagate BarraCuda 2TB HDD

    Chassis: Cooler Master Masterbox MB511

    PSU: Cooler Master MWE 550W, Bronze 80 Plus

    Monitor: Samsung C24RG50FQE 24" Curved Monitor (144Hz, 1920x1080)

    WiFI Adapter: TP-Link TX50E AX3000 WiFi 6 & Bluetooth 5.0 PCIe Wireless Adapter

    I just started my PC Building journey recently and I'm not confident enough to point out the potential problems of this build. Maybe some of you enthusiasts can guide me :)

    I put all the parts in PC PartPicker and everything seems to be all good. Just afraid there would be hidden issues

    submitted by /u/azeeebo
    [link] [comments]

    New Computer... Do I need Antivirus, AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, Registry Cleaner?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2021 06:54 AM PDT

    Historically, on my PC I would just run Avast (free) as my antivirus, and then I would run:

    • Malwarebytes

    • Super Anti Spyware

    • CC Cleaner

    I would run scans using the last three periodically.

    I'm building a new computer, what programs do I actually need? Should I solely use Windows Defender and just be done with it?

    submitted by /u/anonymouspsy
    [link] [comments]

    Whenever I shut down or restart my PC, my fans go full blast for a few seconds.

    Posted: 22 Jul 2021 07:44 AM PDT

    As the title says, every time i shut down or restart my pc my fans turn on at full speed for a few seconds and the go back to normal. Any ideas as to why this happens?

    submitted by /u/zoentri
    [link] [comments]

    Is this fine?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2021 07:44 AM PDT

    HELLO fellow pc builders of reddit, i come once again in need of assistance, my PSU (Corsair CV650) has a line of wire with sata's attached to it and at its end is a 4-Pin connector, recently I just bought a sata fan hub and im wondering if I can connect one of those sata's into my fan hub THEN connect the 4-pin to my mobo's 4 pin header?

    submitted by /u/And33rsonator
    [link] [comments]

    Is the RTX 3070 worth the extra $100 USD rather than the 3060 ti?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2021 08:54 AM PDT

    I am speculating on which card to get, as I play at 1440p and 144hz monitor. I would love to play more AAA games, as well as older ones. I am currently rocking a 5600x and 16gb of Trident z rgb 3600 ram.

    submitted by /u/Cryobyte99
    [link] [comments]

    1050Ti saying to connect PCI-e cables, but I already did!

    Posted: 22 Jul 2021 11:46 AM PDT

    My old GeForce 760 bit the dust recently, and my friend passed along a 1050Ti card that appears to be a small upgrade. When I connect the card and boot up the computer, it says to connect the PCI-e cables.

    From what I've read, some cards don't require power from the power supply and pull it through the motherboard. This card clearly wants to have the 6-pin cable connected, but even when I do so, it still asks to plug them in. I tried using the same cables that worked with my other cord, the one that is 6+2, and even another PCI-e cable that plugs into my Corsair TX750M power supply, but nothing makes the message leave.

    It's possible there's an issue with the card itself, but it was tested before and it clearly works in some capacity since the computer recognizes it's there and needs power.

    How do I give power to card that already has the power cable connected? I'm a little lost here, but PCPartPicker claims my existing equipment has no compatibility issues and I wanna play some games!

    submitted by /u/PRIGK
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone explain to me why 60fps on a 144hz monitor looks worse than it does on a 60hz monitor?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 06:29 PM PDT

    I have 2 monitors: one 144hz and one 60hz. I cap red dead 2 at 60fps because my CPU bottlenecks. (i5-7600k oc paired with rx 5700 xt)

    I've noticed that, when playing on the 60hz monitor, it looks quite a lot smoother than it does on my 144hz monitor. Any idea why or how to fix?

    I should note that I'm using RTSS to cap FPS at 60

    submitted by /u/ButWhole95
    [link] [comments]

    Pulled a cable out of my pc replacing psu not sure where it goes

    Posted: 22 Jul 2021 12:04 PM PDT

    Pretty much the title but this is a multi colored small three pin to a large three pin cable that I pulled out of the back of the case when doing wires and now I'm not sure where it goes. Help? For additional information I have all the fans plugged in the 24 pin mobo 8 pin pci-e and cpu pins plugged in correctly I'm pretty sure I have the sata and company plugged in correctly. I have a tomahawk max mobo regular hdd 5700 gpu Edit:pic

    pic of cable

    submitted by /u/Aventrix_Acanthus
    [link] [comments]

    Is a 3090 overkill?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2021 12:01 PM PDT

    Long story short, I've got a friend selling an RTX 3090 founders edition for £1450 (mates rates)

    My current specs are: - ROG Strix B550-E Board - AMD 3900X - 2080TI Founders Edition - 32gb Corsair vengeance

    I do some code and graphic design I my spare time but mostly gaming on AAA games.

    So is it overkill??

    submitted by /u/Glen2595
    [link] [comments]

    Build finished - much thanks for community advice!

    Posted: 22 Jul 2021 06:07 AM PDT

    Here's the final spec:

    Case: Antec 300
    Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi
    CPU: Ryzen 5900X
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A
    Thermal Compound: Noctua NT-H2
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32GB DDR4 3600MHz C16
    GPU: Geforce RTX 2080 Ti
    M.2: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
    M.2: Inland Platinum 8TB
    PSU: Corsair RM750x
    Case fans: 3x Noctua NH-A12x25 and 1x NF-A14

    Pics: https://imgur.com/a/9GMVYHM

    My initial post asking for build help was here.

    Thanks to everyone who commented! Sorry if I didn't get to respond to you but I read everything. Based on the comments I was able to convince my partner to go for a GPU upgrade in about 4 years. 2080 Ti will hold me over until then.

    Cable management isn't great but I did what I could with the case. If anyone has any suggestions would be happy to hear them.

    So far on benchmarks the CPU is topping out at 73C with PBO (default settings) on.

    The 980 Pro was very slow at first, getting about 1000 read/write. Oddly, I noticed it wasn't seated well in the mobo, and took it out and put it back in, and speeds are now 7000/5000. Weird because you figure it either works or doesn't. Impressed with the Inland Platinum so far, getting about 3400/3400. Not a bad deal if 8TB of NVMe is important to you.

    Using the Noctua anti-vibration grommets which were a surprise inclusion. System is much quieter compared to my previous rig. Don't regret going air over water (my only AIO choice would have been 140mm, which I felt was pointless).

    submitted by /u/uhoh_spaghettiossss
    [link] [comments]

    1440p 60Hz Monitor recommendations?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2021 12:53 PM PDT

    I've been working from home the last months, and using the laptop screen all the time has been very tiring for my eyes. I don't do any hardcore gaming, that's why I think I would be fine with the 60Hz. I live in Germany if it matters. Since I like moving on my chair a lot, I'm also looking for a nice monitor arm, if you also have some recommendations!

    Thank you for helping me!

    submitted by /u/evadingaban123
    [link] [comments]

    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060Ti 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 Graphics Card; Is there another route?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2021 12:07 PM PDT

    Good afternoon!

    I have been sitting on an incomplete PC build for months now.

    I am missing the final part on my list; which is a NVIDIA GeForce 3060Ti, 8GB graphics card.

    I have struggled a ton with finding this part and scalpers, bots and covid refuse to let up.

    Is there another graphics card that would be just as good or similar enough to have my pc working? I assume I could always swap it out later, but maybe not?(new to pc building)

    (NOTE: I am trying to run some average gaming; mainly trying to get a computer that can keep up with the Adobe Creative Suite for awhile.)

    I would also love any tips on where I could search for this specific graphics card in case I haven't been looking in the right spots.

    Sorry if this isn't enough information or isn't the right area to post.

    Thanks in advance for any/all assistance!

    submitted by /u/Ok-Organization9456
    [link] [comments]

    Second Draft of PC Build (Two Choices)

    Posted: 22 Jul 2021 01:44 PM PDT

    Heyo, finalizing my build and the last thing I'm trying to decide between of course is the CPU/Motherboard. I have one build using an Intel 11700K and another using an AMD 5800x. I have bounced between both of these so much over the last few days and I cannot land on an answer. AMD seems to have a clear edge in performance but I'm not as knowledgeable about the long term wear and quality between the two, as well as the efficiency of using it with NVIDIA cards (3070). Lemme know what you think.

    Intel Build:

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Dq7rkX

    AMD Build:

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gPryMv

    Have you read the sidebar and rules? (Please do)

    Yes

    What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better.

    Gaming, 3D Animation

    If gaming, what kind of performance are you looking for? (Screen resolution, FPS, game settings)

    Looking to run an easy 144 on some of the upcoming releases (Elden Ring, BF6, Dying Light 2) at max 1080p. 4k is neat too but not really my focus.

    What is your budget (ballpark is okay)?

    I'd like to stay close to $2000 but I can go a bit higher.

    In what country are you purchasing your parts?

    United States

    submitted by /u/PhoenixPalmer
    [link] [comments]

    Pre-build question about X570 BIOS

    Posted: 22 Jul 2021 01:39 PM PDT

    Relevant Parts:

    Ryzen 5600x CPU,

    MSI X570 Gaming Edge WIFI manufactured in JAN 21

    Problem: Is this specific motherboard good to go with the CPU or do I need to try and update the BIOS with a flash drive? Just learned there is a potential issue.

    I've confirmed by serial number the board is definitely JAN 21. Hoping like hell it comes preloaded with a compatible BIOS. Can't seem to find any confirmation online.

    This will be my first build, I only have a MacBook in the house already so I don't know if I can create a BIOS flash USB and I really don't want to. Even if I had access to a windows machine, trying to make the parts fit and work without breaking something is enough stress for me already.

    Any advice or even a pointer to somewhere else to ask the question is greatly appreciated, thank you.

    submitted by /u/LatestArrival
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice for the future.

    Posted: 22 Jul 2021 01:26 PM PDT

    So me and my family are moving to a new house this christmas and my dad agreed to buy me a new pc. The thing is i dont want an overly top of the head pc. I want enough to run gta tekken doom eternal and some other games well. Another question is should i buy a pre-built one or should i build one myself. My current one is 6 years old, the cpu is i7 fourth generation, 8 gigs of ram and gefore gtx 750 ti (they stopped updating the drivers for it). I need some advice for what i should get. (Best bang for the buck). Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Owlyeet-
    [link] [comments]

    Would a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card be overkill for a intel core i7-10700f 2.9 GHz 8-core processor?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2021 11:14 AM PDT

    Literally just the title

    Should I go with a 3070 or 3060 instead?

    Part list(https://pcpartpicker.com/list/C3wpTJ)

    submitted by /u/Additional_Pomelo_85
    [link] [comments]

    My first setup, what do u think?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2021 12:59 PM PDT

    Hey :)
    I want to biuld a new mid price PC and have sattelt on these Parts:

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
    Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
    Mamory : Corsair DIMM 16GB DDR4-3200 Kit
    Video-Card: INNO3D GeForce RTX 3060 ICHILL X3 RED
    Storage: Samsung SSD 980 1 TB
    Case: be quiet! PURE BASE 500DX Window
    Power Supply: Crosair CX750F RGB

    Can you guys look over it and help me out if i could improve it a bit more?

    Tanks in advance :)

    submitted by /u/Mooncranky
    [link] [comments]

    Need help finding correct cable replacements for my powersupply

    Posted: 22 Jul 2021 12:53 PM PDT

    I ordered an EVGA superNova 850 G3 80+ GOLD PSU, however Im doing a white build so i want to buy some white replacement wires for it. Im browsing Cablemod for some, but it's really confusing trying to see what is and is not compatible. All help is appreciated, thank you!

    submitted by /u/Refrigerator_Guy
    [link] [comments]

    Pc won't turn on after shipping internationally

    Posted: 22 Jul 2021 12:53 PM PDT

    Good evening, I know most of you will comment that I should not have shipped my pc internationally but because of COVID I had no other way

    I had a friend pack it and send it for me, but he forgot to follow all my instructions and didn't turn off the PSU nor he power cycled to make sure there was no electricity left in the system.

    Now after receiving it, it won't turn on. No lights, no fans, no anything. I tried changing the PSU and it still doesn't work. I tried shorting the power on pins and still nothing.

    Do you think everything is fried and needs to be bought anew? Or should I try to get a new MOBO? Am lost and honestly so sad rn

    submitted by /u/bughidudi
    [link] [comments]

    Extracting windows key from old pc

    Posted: 22 Jul 2021 12:52 AM PDT

    i read this command from internet

    powershell "Get-WmiObject -query 'select * from SoftwareLicensing services').OA3xOriginalProductKey

    does this command really works? This windows is my sole remnant of original windows backup so i cant risk it, hence asking here first

    submitted by /u/dead_man_speaks
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment