• Breaking News

    Friday, December 25, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - December 25, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - December 25, 2020


    Simple Questions - December 25, 2020

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 04:07 AM PST

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    My brother traded his ps5 for a 3080 with JayzTwoCents for me!

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 11:26 AM PST

    My younger brother is the fucking man! He traded his unopened ps5 to get me a Christmas gift. He tells me that jayzTwoCents was looking for someone in Southern California to trade an unopened ps5 for a 3080. I can't believe he did this for me! I wanna cry 😭 he even asked jayz to sign the box for me. I'm too lucky to have such a brother! Thanks to @jayztwocents as well. Merry Christmas everyone!

    submitted by /u/nito213
    [link] [comments]

    To anyone that got a high refresh monitor for Christmas: change your refresh settings by right click on desktop -> display settings -> refresh rate

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 05:16 AM PST

    [QUESTION] Any thoughts on gaming chairs/office chairs?

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 07:41 AM PST

    Hey Guys. I have been in a dilemma on weather to purchase a (Secret Lab TITAN series) gaming chair or an (Autonomous.ai ErgoChair 2) office chair.

    I work from home and usually have to sit in front of a computer for 12-13 hours a day making documents and my ass hurts and is sore as hell. What do you guys think?

    also I am 5'9 and weight 79kgs.

    Anyone who have experiences with any of these chairs?

    submitted by /u/wsflcactuar
    [link] [comments]

    My Son (13) wanted to build a gaming PC and now that he has the parts he can’t get it to start

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 10:24 PM PST

    Background: My son (13) made a parts list of computer parts which I ordered. I was skeptical if he was able to tackle this project but I tried to support his dreams. I made him do research and write out steps for building a pc. I have no idea how PCs work and I told him that I would be no help during the actual building part, so if he wanted to go through with this he should have done his research.

    Now that the parts are here, he assembled them together but nothing actually seems to work or turn on. He's extremely frustrated and on the verge of giving up. There's probably a billion things that could go wrong so I'm not asking for trouble shoot advice but rather how I should move forward with this situation? Should I just have him return everything and try again in a few years when he is a bit more mature?

    UPDATE: we didn't give up and double checked all our cables... reassembling it for a third time made it power on! Thank you guys for helping my son he's really happy now. Now our next issue is getting the monitor to connect to it and turn on the "command terminal (?)" lol.

    UPDATE #2: yay we got windows to install. Seriously thank you guys for being so patient. We went from considering returning everything (possibly stomping out my sons confidence/interest in PCs ) to everything working well now! Who knows this might be one of those crossroads of life events!

    submitted by /u/popmeand
    [link] [comments]

    I built my s.o her pc she’s been talking about.

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 02:22 AM PST

    https://imgur.com/gallery/KKu8hNX

    She wanted a full RGB set up. I added 2 sticks of 3200ghz RGB RAM to her pc, other than that and the case and extensions everything is parts she already owns.

    It was a long night. I started this at 1am when she finally went to bed. It's now 230.

    I can't wait to see her face when she wakes me up at 9am.

    EDIT: I know my cable management isn't the greatest but I'm still learning that

    submitted by /u/HumbleDad126
    [link] [comments]

    Four very important things to keep in mind for those building PCs this Christmas!

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 09:56 AM PST

    Hello all and Merry Christmas!

    Just wanted to point out a few things for new builders (and maybe even some older builders) to get the most out of their new hardware!

    1. Make sure your RAM is running at its capacity.

      • Some of you may not know that RAM is commonly set to "auto" in BIOS to run less than its full potential. For example, your new 3200Mhz memory may be set to 2100Mhz and you wouldn't even know!

        • step 1: go into BIOS and see what the clock speed is set to, and adjust as need be. Make sure to keep it within your hardwares specs.
    2. Make sure your new 144hz monitor is set to be running at 144hz.

    • You May not realize, but if you connect your PC to a new monitor that supports high refresh rate and high resolution, it doesn't automatically make itself run at those levels.

      -Step 1: Check in the menu built in to your monitor to make sure it is set to the proper refresh rate (sometimes this is done automatically once step 2 is completed) - step 2: (AMD GPU) right click on the desktop > display settings > advanced display settings > display adapter properties > monitor > refresh rate drop down box. - Step 2: (NVIDIA GPU) right click on the desktop > nvidia control panel > change resolution > refresh rate drop down box 
    1. Make sure you install the IO Shield when putting your motherboard in

    2. Make sure you don't forget to add your motherboard standoffs to the case if the case doesn't have them pre-installed.

    Thanks for reading, feel free to share your tips as well. Merry christmas, happy gaming!

    submitted by /u/JuicyCiwa
    [link] [comments]

    6 hours later! Was it worth it? Yes, yes it was.

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 07:13 AM PST

    Pc Specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VPgXVc

    Pc Pics: https://imgur.com/gallery/1hVrbdG

    I'll be honest with y'all, reason why it took me so long to complete my build was due the extremely annoying cable management and rgb configuration with the Corsair Lighting node cores (2x) and Corsair commander pro (1x). I would just get frustrated and take breaks. Reason why it was more annoying and frustrating to me a former non rgb user is.... THE AMOUNT OF CABLES. 18 cables I had to route and zip tie correctly to my case for cable management. Then half way to finishing the fans I came to a realization, THAT THERE WAS another rgb hub (4th hub) of sorts that I had to configure for the dam aio water block to light up. But why didn't you just plug it in into the Corsair Commander pro or one of the 2 Lighting node cores? Because the dumbo thing has a stupid Corsair Proprietary connection that would only work with the hub it came with. And then I had bust out another sata cable to route and plug in to my psu all just for the extra 4th hub because my other sata cable with 3 slots where all taken by the previous rgb/fan hubs. In the end I can bearly and heavily biased-ly say it was worth it :*) ps before y'all start roasting me on my decision for going with the 10900k, take this into consideration I found it easier to find a 3080 at retail than a 5900x for retail. I tried honestly.

    submitted by /u/PsylentReader
    [link] [comments]

    Minimize risk of damaging pc on frequent car rides.

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 09:01 AM PST

    Hi all, I want to build my first PC for light gaming. I do need to move it between two locations relatively frequently by car. I'm worried of the potential damage that can happen due to the forces it might experience (specially if I hit a pothole or something). What are some ways I can mitigate this risk as much as possible?

    Here are some I've thought of: * using an AIO instead of a heavy air cooler to reduce torque on the mobo. * NR200 style case, where I cant mount the GPU to the case and connect with a riser to avoid unnecessary strain on the GPU. * Using the metal side panel instead of tempered glass at least for transport, maybe permanent?? (Really not sure about if this makes a significant difference). * DIY Foam inserts in the empty space for travel

    I appreciate all your help :)

    Edit: sorry, what I mean with light gaming is, I want a dedicated GPU, but im willing to sacrifice some performance for better portability, if its better than a 1650 max q in my laptop, im happy

    submitted by /u/F3nix123
    [link] [comments]

    Merry Christmas!

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 11:11 AM PST

    Title, just wanted to wish everyone a happy holidays. 🎄

    submitted by /u/abova5663
    [link] [comments]

    I have purchased corsair 3600 MHz ram but when buying ryzen 5600x I noticed it only support upto 3200mhz will the extra capacity go waste or will it not work at all ?

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 04:00 AM PST

    Ryzen 5 3600 vs i5-10400F in late 2020

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 12:58 PM PST

    Hey there fellow PC builders. I am planning a mostly gaming build at 1440p 144Hz and I want to ask you guys for your opinions on the choice of CPU and motherboard. PCPartPicker I've narrowed down my choice to:

    • Ryzen 3600 + B550M mobo = 306€
    • i5-10400F + B460M mobo = 208€

    Every benchmark I've seen so far shows insignificant direct differences in gaming performance. At this point it seems like I'd be paying 100€ extra for PCIe 4.0 and faster RAM support (3200 vs 2666 MHz). From what I've seen so far the RAM leads to like 3-4% increase in performance and I'm yet to see PCIe 4.0 having a significant effect on gaming. So my question is if it's worth the extra money? Right now I'm leaning towards the intel chip but maybe there are further differences or some possible future benefit that I'm not considering. I'm planning to use this build for the next 4-5 years with hopefully minimal upgrading. In my shoes, would you "future proof" and invest in PCIe 4.0 and faster RAM for 100€?

    submitted by /u/weavile22
    [link] [comments]

    wheres a good place to take my pc to get it built?

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 07:42 AM PST

    wheres a good place to take my pc to get it built? i dont wanna break it lol (my area postal code is DY14)

    submitted by /u/bankvfx
    [link] [comments]

    First time giving anything to anyone for Christmass, and honestly I feel great!

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 07:35 AM PST

    Story time, I hope it's allowed :)

    For a while now I've known how one of my younger siblings computer is really struggling and he's getting more into gaming while the PC performance seemed to be holding him back from it more.

    So, as my own unorganized chaos of hardware that I don't use anymore has really grown lately again, I figured that once in my lifetime I will try how it feels to give Christmass presents to people.

    His old PC was recently 'upgraded' by some suuuper old 4gb ddr3 kit and my old GTX 950, while the machine is still running what I think is a phenom ii 955BE . So the struggle with most of the games is real. Knowing that my other sibling has a 1050Ti in his machine, I suggested the following: "hey guys, how'd you like one more present? Bro1, could you give your 1050Ti to Bro2? I'll give you a 1060? For Bro2 I have an FX8320, mobo, 16GB of RAM and an 120gb SSD for a boot drive."

    I know it's not the latest Ryzen build that every other 13-14yo gets for Christmass, but it's an upgrade for however much they play anyways, and upgrade compared to the old machine in guestion, and this story was more about the giving aspect of things and how great I feel more than anything else.

    To spec the upgrades, and please for the love of god I know I know FX cpu's are bad blaablaa, I had one and I'm not a rich boi, so save it:

    Bro2 old PC: 4 core phemom ii I think 955(BE?), 4gb of oooold probably broken ram, gtx 950 2gb.

    Bro2 new PC: FX8320, 16GB 1600mhz DDR3, 1050Ti 4gb, oh yeah and an SSD, he didn't have one before.

    Bro1 upgrade: from 1050Ti 4gb to 1060 6gb, I think he's running a R5 2600X with 16gb of 3200mhz ram or something like that, can't remember.

    Anyways I just wanted to share since I started to feel really good after committing into giving those things away even tho I could've used them myself too. The fact that I could help someone have more enjoyable gaming experience and don't have to play 40-50fps fortnite, feels genuinely good.

    Happy Holidays everyone! I hope you're having a great one :)

    submitted by /u/surprise_anal_drill
    [link] [comments]

    First PC help with SSD

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 08:55 AM PST

    I want one that goes in the motherboard not in a bay. This is m.2 / NMVe, correct?

    I have seen some WD Blue/Black 1TB for around £100. However the samsung 970 evo tend to be similar price for only 250GB. Why is this? are the WD ones crap? Is this WD Black 750 SSD good? What makes it good/bad? Thanks for any help :)

    submitted by /u/Jooga6000
    [link] [comments]

    I want to upgrade my PC, what should i choose?

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 02:12 PM PST

    Hello, I wanted for a long time to upgrade my PC but have waited due to the new cards that are coming out. I play on 1080p and not planning to upgrade to 4k so my plans were to buy an RTX 2060 and an i5 10600 but now I dont know if I should buy the new RTX 3060ti or even the 3050 (if it even exists). I want to be able to run the latest games on max setting 60 FPS but im honestly stuck. Please if somebody can give me any insight it will be really helpful.

    submitted by /u/Mr-koozit
    [link] [comments]

    7” LCD Display stats screen

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 10:01 AM PST

    So I want to put a a display screen inside my pc. I have a lian li o11 dynamic xl. My side panel is mostly clear and I want to put it above the "ROG certified sticker" so is there any way to do that?

    submitted by /u/Immediate_Variation2
    [link] [comments]

    Just trying to build a decent gaming pc but idk where to start

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 10:36 AM PST

    So I'm trying to build this pc and my price range is 900 to 1000 bucks. Just trying to look for help on building one thanks

    submitted by /u/Phat_Allen
    [link] [comments]

    White debug light for rtx 3070

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 01:13 PM PST

    I just finished putting my pc together and when I power on my pc, the white vga debug light turns on. My monitor says there's no signal detected. But whenever I unplug the DisplayPort cable from my gpu, my monitor says "no display port cable, will go into power save mode in 4 minutes". Everything works and has power. I swapped cards and used my old gpu (5700xt) to see if I still got the white light and the light went away and everything worked normally. My motherboard is x570, Im using the gigabyte 3070 and my monitor is a Dell S2719DGF. I tried taking out my gpu and putting it back in. That didn't work. I tried using only 1 ram stick, that didn't work. Is there anything I could do while using my 5700xt to get rid of the debug light for the 3070? Like do I have to download drivers or something? Help would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Jamxs166th
    [link] [comments]

    PC shuts down whilst booting and runs normally on second attempt

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 06:39 AM PST

    So I've built this pc for around 2 weeks and it gives me a issue every time I boot it up (always for the first boot of the day, second boot always runs perfectly).

    I've built this PC myself, so the current issue is. Whilst booting up it would randomly shut down (whilst booting up). It would not restart itself, so I would have to click the power button then it would start up flawlessly. How could I prevent this from happening? (This has happened to me several times)

    Also a few other issue being BSOD's, the BSOD errors being;

    1. critical process died
    2. memory management
    3. system service exception

    Any idea on what it could be?

    PC Spec:

    Ryzen 7 3700x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro (2x8GB) 3200mhz, RTX 3060 TI, 1TB sabrent rocket 4.0 m.2, Msi X570 Tomahawk, corsair rm850

    submitted by /u/Natural-Chemical-806
    [link] [comments]

    My ssd won't show up when I try to download windows

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 08:58 AM PST

    I just finished building my first pc and my 120gb m.2 SSD (I bought for a boot drive) isn't showing up

    I only see my hard drive

    submitted by /u/taylor_bradle08
    [link] [comments]

    First custom PC build - Needs review for compatibility and price optimization

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 11:04 AM PST

    Build Ready:

    Can anyone help determine: 1) Can the power supply (ATX) fit a Micro ATX case? 2) Is this RAM fully compatible for clock speed with the motherboard?

    https://pcpartpicker.com/user/rollickingroy/saved/#view=6cLC6h

    submitted by /u/RollickingRoy
    [link] [comments]

    Buying this PC, your thoughts?

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 07:14 AM PST

    • Gonna buy this PC, wanna know is it worth the money?
    • PC Cost = 750 EUROS

      CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X 8c/16t

    COOLER: Wraith Prizm RGB

    GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 8Gb G1 Gaming

    RAM: 32Gb (2x16) Corsair Vengeance LPX

    MBO: B450m AsRock HDV R4.0

    SSD: 512Gb NVMe CASE: Zalman S5 RGB

    PSU: 750w Gigabyte 80+ gold

    Thanks to everyone for advices and opinions!

    intel_boi

    submitted by /u/intel_boi
    [link] [comments]

    Should the top radiator be intake or exhaust?

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 11:27 PM PST

    So right now I'm on my second PC build and showed my progress build to my brother so I could try to impress him. Apparently, this asshole scolded me instead and called me a retard for mounting the top radiator fans as intake. "Dude you're fucking retarded, you're supposed to flip the fans and push air out of these case through the radiator instead because hot air rises, blah blah blah." I wasn't surprised, he was pretty much acts like that since he was born, and it's quite the norm. So anyways, I am fully aware that putting my top radiator as intake would blow hot air into my PC which could heat up my other components. But if I were to instead use it as an exhaust fan, I would be blowing hot air into my radiator which can increase the temperatures of my CPU. The radiator is 240mm and I also have three front fans as intake as well as one exhaust fan in the back.

    Here is my well sketched diagram of my PC:

    https://imgur.com/a/suKdN7U

    So what do you guys think? Intake or exhaust for top radiator? Perhaps my brother may be right.

    Edit: Wow! Wasn't expecting to get a reward for my Dickcheese PC Build of 2021! Thanks!

    submitted by /u/emperl_arct
    [link] [comments]

    amd or intel

    Posted: 25 Dec 2020 12:28 PM PST

    hi all, i'm fairly new to pc building looking to build my computer by preferably april 2021. i have a full list of parts i want to use except cpu. originally i was thinking a ryzen 3 3300x but was told this is quite weak. after asking some friends i was told intel and more specifically the i5 10400f and i3 10100f were very good.

    my question is which is better? My main use for this pc would be gaming but i would like to try streaming/ youtube as well as learning to make and run games so use tools such as entity.

    any help would be greatly appreciated but if you have a better idea for what a cpu in that general price range would be and what mother board would go well with it. again many thanks

    submitted by /u/Dead_ducc
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment