• Breaking News

    Friday, September 18, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - September 18, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - September 18, 2020


    Simple Questions - September 18, 2020

    Posted: 18 Sep 2020 05:11 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    3080 Installed in new PC. RGB not setup yet clearly

    Posted: 18 Sep 2020 07:49 AM PDT

    https://i.imgur.com/n4brcV8.jpg 10700, 32GB 3200 Vengeance. H100i Platinum SE. an EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra

    submitted by /u/Sydarmx
    [link] [comments]

    Bought a new PSU for 3080, question about cables it came with.

    Posted: 17 Sep 2020 05:44 PM PDT

    I bought an RM850x for an MSI 3080 X Trio. The GPU has 3x 8 pin ports.

    My psu came with 3 PCIe 8 pin (6+2) cables, and they all split on one end. Do I need to use 3 of these cables from the PSU connecting to the PSU (like this)? Or do I use 1 cable for 2 of the 8pin ports and then another for just 1? (like this)

    Or do I need to buy new power cables that don't have splitters? It seems weird that the PSU did not come with any.

    EDIT: Thanks for the replies everyone. The recommended answer to my question is to use 3 PCIe cables coming from the PSU, rather than 2 cables. This guy does a good job of explaining why.

    submitted by /u/LikwidSords
    [link] [comments]

    Hello, my son's 15th birthday is soon and he has been talking about building his own PC. I want to buy him the best possible parts I can for around $1,200 (Not including monitor, keyboard, mouse). Can you help? Thank you if you can help; thank you if can't.

    Posted: 18 Sep 2020 09:59 AM PDT

    For everyone thinking about a CPU upgrade because of the RTX 3000 Series release

    Posted: 18 Sep 2020 12:15 AM PDT

    Watch this Hardware Canucks Video:

    https://youtu.be/SNMVikiHCXg

    Bottom line, if you have a 6 core or 4 core/8 thread CPU, you are probably good for strictly gaming.

    submitted by /u/Zhacke
    [link] [comments]

    I am totally out of the game and have no idea what is going on in the world of PC tech. With $500, how would you upgrade my PC to make it as good of a gaming PC as it can get with that money?

    Posted: 18 Sep 2020 07:31 AM PDT

    Here is my partpicker list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/zehtiras/saved/NVV8Jx

    Edit: Just realized I added more RAM last year - I have 24 gb of RAm, which is not reflected in the list.

    Also edit: The list is now public.

    submitted by /u/zehtiras
    [link] [comments]

    Recommended 60hz Monitor to a Accompany 144hz

    Posted: 18 Sep 2020 08:31 AM PDT

    Hi! So I'm currently planning on building a pc in the next 6 months or so and building around the 3070 when it (hopefully) will be in stock more regularly after it sells out starting in November. I have this monitor which i know is pretty budget already but I want a 60hz as my second monitor and hopefully looking to get it under $100 which is a lot harder than it seems. Should I keep looking or should I just get this monitor 144hz that's smaller and only goes up to 1080. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Eric_The_Human_
    [link] [comments]

    Convincing PC

    Posted: 18 Sep 2020 12:17 PM PDT

    I need help convincing my dad to let me build my own PC. Can y'all give me some reasons as to why I should build my own PC? Also I already saved up my own money.

    submitted by /u/Round-Cash5204
    [link] [comments]

    Is $450 a good price for a used EVGAGeForce RTX 2070 Super XC ultra gaming?

    Posted: 18 Sep 2020 11:28 AM PDT

    Hi all. I'm building my first PC in 10 years so everything is an upgrade. The 3000 series would be wasted on me so I'm not gonna wait on those. I found an "EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super XC ultra gaming Dual Fan" in my area. 4 months old, light use, and still under warranty for $450. Is $450 a good price? I don't have a lot of data on the used card market, but I think I've settled on the 2070 super.

    Thanks for taking the time to help. Appreciate any input.

    submitted by /u/Sizzor19
    [link] [comments]

    X570 Motherboards - VRM and Heat-Sinks!

    Posted: 18 Sep 2020 08:33 AM PDT

    Greetings all

    I'm planning on upgrading (and switching) from my i7-4770k to the upcoming Zen3 Ryzen architecture processors. I was looking at the 3900X when I realized that Zen3 is just around the corner, which is to say that I will most likely be going for the 3900X equivalent of the new series (4900X??).

    I do not plan on doing any overclocking, but I definitely want very good temperatures as I don't want fans working overtime and making noise when they wouldn't otherwise have to. For that reason I will most likely be going with a Noctua NH-D15 cooler to cool my CPU. When it comes to the motherboard though, I have been looking at Gigabyte's lineup of their X570 chipset. When it comes to VRM components and heat-sinks, is there a difference between these three boards?

    1. X570 AORUS ELITE
    2. X570 AORUS PRO
    3. X570 AORUS ULTRA

    I'm roughly your average consumer, that is to say that I don't know much about all the specifics, but from what I can tell, all three of these boards have "12+2 Phases IR Digital VRM Solution with Power Stage" but do they have different heat-sinks that could set them apart temperature-wise despite the VRM similarities?

    TL;DR: Question: In regards to cooling on the motherboard, is there any difference between these three boards respectively?

    BONUS: If you have any other recommendations in these price-ranges, feel free to let me know about them!

    submitted by /u/DrenchedToast
    [link] [comments]

    Cheap GPU for 2008-2014 games?

    Posted: 18 Sep 2020 01:30 PM PDT

    Due to one of my favorite games becoming DX11 only, i've realized i have to upgrade my ancient Geforce 9500 GT, problem is the budget is insanely limited, not only do i live in a third world country, but the money has to come from my parents since i'm underage and they go by the logic "If it turns on, it's fine" so it'll take a bit of convincing. (Like a 40-60$ dollar range)

    The kind of games i like and want to run are things like Left 4 Dead 2, PAYDAY 2 and CS:GO, with the last 2 currently being playable but at a very poor 20-15 fps in low settings. I want to be able to play those games and get 60+ fps, and if possible to be able to play newer games like Overwatch and Fortnite at low settings. The GPU has to at least support DX11

    I have an AMD Athlon II X3 processor with 3.00 GHz and an ASUSTEK motherboard if that helps

    submitted by /u/Doggazu
    [link] [comments]

    Post your opinion on my build

    Posted: 18 Sep 2020 12:15 PM PDT

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YXhZn7 First time builder, just wanted to get some opinions from people on my build and see if y'all see any issues that I didn't. Edit: I have only bought my cpu, ram sticks, and case so far bc sales. I figure I'll wait to buy the rest hopefully on sale or when I finally get a chance to buy a 3080.

    submitted by /u/Ihavenofuckingcluetb
    [link] [comments]

    Is it bad to have two drives with an OS on both?

    Posted: 18 Sep 2020 01:44 PM PDT

    I have my SSD (with windows 10 and all my important stuff) and an old hard drive with Windows 7, I'm wondering if it would be okay to leave them both in so I can just use either OS as I wish? I don't want any of the files messed up. Also, how would I selected which drive I'd like to boot from? Thanks for any help you can provide.

    submitted by /u/ChuckTheBeast
    [link] [comments]

    PLEASE HELP, I cannot boot windows from my USB

    Posted: 18 Sep 2020 12:41 PM PDT

    This is my first ever PC build and after roughly three hours I have everything put together and running properly as far as hardware goes.

    However, I dont have a cd drive so I have to use a usb but I can't get my PC to boot from it.

    The USB is recognized in bios, I downloaded windows and put it on my USB from a Mac. does anyone have any advice?

    submitted by /u/TheYoungLung
    [link] [comments]

    Worth it to overclock a 3900x and a 3080?

    Posted: 18 Sep 2020 08:32 AM PDT

    I see the 3080 gets around +4% and the 3900x gets around +7%.

    I mean, gains are gains, but this comes at the expense of a $70 CPU cooler, increased power consumption, and time investment.

    Do you feel its worth it?

    submitted by /u/888Kraken888
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on this set up

    Posted: 18 Sep 2020 12:12 PM PDT

    Thoughts on this set up A friend of mine has this set up built and was offering it to me for my first set up and seeing as how I know nothing about pcs when he started saying all this I got confused. He also said it does come with windows 10 pro is installed but doesn't come with any software and I have no clue what this means any help is appreciated.

    GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AMD FX8320 Eight Core @ 4.63GHz 8GB Crucial DDR3-1600 RAM 240GB Intel 2500 PRO SSD EVGA GEFORCE GTX 750 TI SC EVGA 500w +80 Power Supply CORSAIR 120mm Liquid Cooling DVD-R/RW Drive USB 3.0 Duel antanna 5GHz WIFI MSI long range Gaming wifi antennas Windows 10 PRO Activated New unopened MAFIA 3 PC game New Logitech wireless mouse And More

    This PC runs @ 4.63GHz, But can reach over 5.2GHz and even higher pretty easily if wanted to. The OC its running now @ 4.63GHz is a 24hr safe overclock and gaming temps have never been over 63c. The PC idles at 21-33c with current clock settings. It's ready to plug and play, it runs excellent, its fast, and can play just about anything at over 60fps with NO lag that I've ever noticed or seen.

    submitted by /u/AWiseMansBeard
    [link] [comments]

    Reccs For Good Open and Closed Back Headphones? Use With V-moda Boompro

    Posted: 18 Sep 2020 08:25 AM PDT

    So I've mostly got my setup down pat, I have a pretty good speaker setup/system but for the longest time I've just been using a cheap pair of corsair hs50's for gaming and game dev. I wanna get a better pair of headphones now and I want a closed and open pair of Over-Ears under $200. List all good ones under that price point you can think of please

    I need it to have a REMOVABLE 3.5mm cord otherwise the boompro doesn't work with it and to be very honest I don't want a modmic because that's an extra cable and it's more expensive.

    For open-backs I've got these listed rn: sivga sv007, philips shp9500 and fidelio x2,

    For closed-backs I've got: sivga sv006, V-moda LP2, audio technicas(although I'm not sure if these would actually be good for gaming since aren't they supposed to be mainly studio headphones?),

    I'm not necessarily looking for the absolute best under $200, just the best value for under $200. If there's a $100 pair and a $200 pair that's only 10% better that's not worth it for me. Using this for allll types of games from RTS, FPS, Action RPG's. Then I'll also be using this for game dev to make soundtracks, voicelines, sound effects, etc only casually; I'm not a pro by any means.

    submitted by /u/Kenma2019
    [link] [comments]

    Fans are lighting up but not spinning

    Posted: 18 Sep 2020 02:37 PM PDT

    Case is the cooler master mb 520 I have the fans connected to the jfp1 but there are cables in the back im not sure what to do with.

    http://imgur.com/a/EsdXgRT

    submitted by /u/Hopefully_Handsome
    [link] [comments]

    sff mITX build in 2020

    Posted: 18 Sep 2020 10:00 AM PDT

    It's time to do another rebuild on the computer. When I built my current computer in 2014ish I went with a full ATX tower. That was a mistake and has been taking up way too much room. In between a few choices now. Most of the newer ITX cases I see are $100+. Not wanting to spend that on a case but a few cheaper options I've been are the Thermaltake v21, NZXT H210, and a couple of different Silverstone cases. Does anyone have experience with these or other suggestions? Looking to keep the price sub 800ish, not including GPU.

    Edit: Forgot to add that this is not going to be a super hardcore build so thermals or the ability to fit crazy accessories aren't really needed. Probably staying air-cooled and using gpu from current comp (rx 580). Going for more budget build.

    submitted by /u/zwiggins83
    [link] [comments]

    Slightly bent cpu pin

    Posted: 18 Sep 2020 12:55 PM PDT

    When i was removing my cpu from a fried motherboard the thermal paste got stuck to the cooler and the cpu came out with a few slightly bent pins. Any idea on how to fox it picture

    Edit: Fixed with a small razor to bend and align the pins thank you to everyone who helped me 🙏

    submitted by /u/maxxxyijb
    [link] [comments]

    2060 or 1080 ti

    Posted: 18 Sep 2020 02:27 PM PDT

    Hey there, i have the opportunity to get either one for the same amount of money, 150$ but only one of them, which one is better? I hear so much about RTX and shit but generally 1080 ti should be better. Any input is appreciated :D

    submitted by /u/Dumme123
    [link] [comments]

    Need help deciding which CPU, RAM and MOBO

    Posted: 18 Sep 2020 11:13 AM PDT

    So, I've sold mine I5-8600, MSI B360-A pro and 2x8GB Corsair 2666MHz for 300,- euro's and I want to upgrade these components with the earned money and spent around 100,- euro extra as a maximum. So the budget is 400,- euro. It goes alone with a: RM750x, MSI Geforce GTX 1060 X 6G. I game at a widescreen 1440p 144Hz monitor.

    I've made apossible list and whas wondering what you guys think would be the very best option. As a sidenote I would like to mention that I'm planning on buying a RTX 3070/3080 in the future this year but that I 100% want to upgrade my MOBO,CPU, RAM first considering I've non right now. I do want to use the full functionality of a RTX 3070/3080. I also have the following question: will there be a performance difference in gaming between a B550 and a Z570 motherboard?

    PCPartPicker Part List

    Type Item Price
    CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor €193.95 @ CD-ROM-LAND
    Motherboard Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard €132.90 @ Azerty
    Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory €62.85 @ Megekko
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total €389.70
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-18 20:12 CEST+0200
    submitted by /u/Thrawnios
    [link] [comments]

    Swapping SSD with windows 10

    Posted: 18 Sep 2020 07:52 AM PDT

    When swapping an SSD with windows 10 into a new computer, do I just need to reinstall windows and that's it?

    submitted by /u/ViperSting14
    [link] [comments]

    PC problems

    Posted: 18 Sep 2020 04:41 AM PDT

    Good afternoon everyone!

    I'm just making this post, because I'm seeking for help. I've just bought and added a new HDD to my setup. After installing it, adding all of the sata cables, the pc turns on correctly, but it doesn't display anything on both of my screens. The computer worked perfectly until I opened it up and put in my new hdd. By « both of my screens don't display anything » I mean it shows black and the small led on the screen is flashing (just like it would if the monitor/computer was in sleep mode) and on my second screen the led is on and it displays « no connection, check signal cable ».

    Solutions I tried: Turning my pc on and off (also by removing the power cable) Cleaning my pc Checking the monitor cables (both power and hdmi) Reseating both of my RAM sticks in their correct slots according to my motherboard Reseating my graphics card Checking if any cable is damaged/disconnected inside the case Tried booting up the pc with different sata cables for my new hard drive Changing sata slots on my motherboard Comparing my setup on PcPartsPicker to see if I might have a voltage or wattage issue Booting up the pc with the new hard drive unplugged (still showing the same « no signal » message)

    A.k.a. Searched on numerous forums on how to fix the problem. Haven't found the answer anywhere.

    Also note: The pc worked perfectly before trying to plug in the new hdd Extra note 1: My first storage drive is a Samsung Evo 970 NVME SSD 500gb, on which I have Windows Home installed on. Extra note 2: The HDD I am trying to add to my setup is a 2TB Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive Extra note 3: The pc starts, but still doesn't display anything after unplugging and disconnecting all of the new HDD sata cables from the power supply and the motherboard.

    Please help me, as I need to use my computer for school :)

    My full list of parts on PcPartPicker (didn't include any peripherals): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RQdgYH

    Thanks again for your help :3 Have a great day!

    submitted by /u/TdC-Blood
    [link] [comments]

    Switching from console to PC

    Posted: 18 Sep 2020 03:00 PM PDT

    Hello everyone I have been playing on consoles ever since I was a child. I still love using my playstation but I have been meaning to get into building my own PC. I still am a novice when it comes to knowing the components but I have the general idea of each part. I have been meaning to build a PC that lasts for 5 years at least since I have had to buy 3 times a console because of hardware issues. Here are the specs of each component and if you cold tell me if there is anything I should add or delete I would appreciate it.

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor

    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler

    MotherBoard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard

    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

    Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

    Video Card (GPU): NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Video Card

    Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 (w/o ODD) ATX Mid Tower Case

    Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

    From the case perspective I dont know if I need another case fan.

    These are the compatibility notes which some of it I dont understand but just in case I put it here.

    • **Note:**The Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard.
    • **Note:**The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports are disabled.
    • **Note:**Some physical dimension restrictions cannot (yet) be automatically checked, such as cpu cooler / RAM clearance with modules using tall heat spreaders.

      I have heard that on October 15 there will be a new video card from Nvidia so I dont mind waiting. I am just curious if I have the adequate parts to build a PC. Any advice is appreciated thank you and have a nice day.

    submitted by /u/FamousStarkWolf
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment