• Breaking News

    Saturday, April 25, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 25, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 25, 2020


    Simple Questions - April 25, 2020

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 05:10 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Just did my first build thanks to r/buildapc

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 09:25 AM PDT

    Shout of to all of you.

    Thank you.

    New rig specs..

    • Corsair 465x (White)
    • Ryzen 3700x
    • Gigabyte Aorus x570 Elite Wifi
    • Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (2x16)
    • MSI Ventus GeForce 2070
    • 2 Corsair 120LL RGB fans (just bought another one to make it 6)
    • Corsair Commander Pro
    • Monitor TUF Gaming VG279QM HDR Gaming Monitor

    Some things I learned.... (Despite watching hours of YouTube videos and reading this forum as well as many others...)

    1. I didn't know that one SATA cable could fit multiple drives. Lol.
    2. I didn't know that you were supposed to install the M.2 drives ON TOP of the stand offs on the motherboard. Whoops.
    3. I lost one of the stand offs for about an hour. It dropped into the side of my chair, in the weirdest spot. I looked all over the kitchen floor for it. I freaked out, sat down and just flipped my computer chair over and there it was...
    4. My cable management is poor. (Ill fix this)
    5. I over purchased. I am returning a bunch of stuff that I bought off Amazon. a few white PWM fans (After I discovered RGB fans.....)
    6. I know theres way more, but I cant remember right now. I will edit and let you guys know all of the rediculous, head shaking shit I did.

    I was so confident going into this build and as soon as I opened my case and flipped the tower on its side I froze for 20 minutes.

    I learned a lot. It was fun. It took me about 10 hours with my 3 year old daughter running around. She is STOKED. So stoked. I grew up in the Doom/Quake95 era. I cannot wait to introduce her to games. She has been talking about the "'Puter" non stop.

    We're about to mess up some Minecraft. That and Oblivion/Skyrim. Id really like to try VR but I dont have the money for that right now.... hopefully sometime down the road I can make that happen.

    Anyway...

    Thank you, to all of you.

    Pics coming soon.

    submitted by /u/JoeBuckYourslf
    [link] [comments]

    Will we ever be able to make our own laptops like pcs?

    Posted: 24 Apr 2020 09:44 PM PDT

    Sadness over rising PC part prices :(

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 11:25 AM PDT

    I've been saving up for a bit now for a new gaming pc, and I was going to have enough money to purchase it in just one more month.

    However now I've looked at the price charts and seen that everything is going up in price over here..

    And in the US you guys can't get parts at all because it's all out of stock.

    I'm honestly a bit upset because I was really looking forward to building my first PC because I've never built one myself before, the one I have right now is sadly a gaming laptop from 3 years ago that has a GTX 1060 but just performs way worse than just a real 1060 in a desktop even because my laptop throttles horribly and it's the 3 GB version.

    I've gotten a bit anxious about it to the point that I'm thinking of ordering my RTX 2060 this week before I can afford everything yet to secure one part, but I'm afraid that it's not a smart tihng to do and would just be giving in to panic.

    I know there are some worse things going on but it just kind of feels extra disappointing now that even this plan of mine is probably cancelled, because I'm guessing that with how availibility looks in other places right now, the prices are just going to keep going up for a while and there's probably even going to be a stock shortage here as well.

    submitted by /u/redrosereverie
    [link] [comments]

    Buying new GPU for my PC - are the 5700 - 5700 xt good cards?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 10:00 AM PDT

    I'm using a new build that I made last year, I bought everything but the GPU. I'm using the 3600 CPU. I was going between the 2600 super, the 1660 super, or one of the 5700's. My goal is to be able to game comfortable on a 1440p monitor. I have heard from everyone to not touch a Radeon GPU, because they always have driver issues, and are just not up to par with Nvidia cards. Is this still true? The reason I'm hesitant on the 2060 super is its price point.

    submitted by /u/sirpickletoe
    [link] [comments]

    Mistakes beginners make when building their first pc

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 12:48 PM PDT

    Hey guys, I just wanted to know what are some mistakes you often notice with beginners who are trying to build their first pc and what advice do you recommend to them?

    submitted by /u/Nerdyswag806
    [link] [comments]

    Alternative Needed: (Sold Out) MSI Tomahawk b450 Max

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 11:26 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I am planning to build a PC very soon

    CPU will be Ryzen 5 3600, but

    MSI Tomahawk b450 Max is Sold Out.

    Would there be any good alternatives??

    Edit: Bought the last open box MSI Tomahawk B450 Max at Micro Center for $91.28 + 2 years warranty for $10 = $101.28

    I think it is an okay deal 🤝

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/lescott1987
    [link] [comments]

    Watercooling my GB Aorus 2080?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 01:39 PM PDT

    Hey everyone! This quarantine has encouraged me to get back into gaming and pc building and I've ended up with some questions!

    I'm no expert, but I've been slowly upgrading what was once a budget build into a solid gaming rig. After going AIO with a 9600k and getting some solid stability at 4.9GHz (Prime95 Small FFTs, 10hrs), I've been very interested in pushing my Gigabyte Aorus 2080. I don't want to mess with a custom loop just yet but have found the following two options for AIO GPU cooling:

    1) NZXT Kraken G12 + AIO + VRM/VRAM heatsinks + Small fan

    2) Alphacool Eiswolf 240 GPX Pro RTX 2080/2080Ti

    I'm leaning towards the Alphacool for the simplicity and modular design. What do you guys think are the pros and cons of each?

    Most importantly, I want to be sure that this block would fit to my PCB. It's been frustrating trying to understand if I have a reference PCB or not, so I pulled my GPU apart to take a look.

    Here's my PCB: https://imgur.com/a/gwtwaPz
    And a reference PCB

    The two look very similar to me, but I want to be sure a typical 2080 water block will fit! Anybody have some experience here?

    submitted by /u/onelivewire
    [link] [comments]

    Need a Cheap & Short cooler to make my rig quieter

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 10:21 AM PDT

    My current build

    I built it back in early 2017 with only a £400 budget but have since upgraded. Its been quite loud this whole time however, and it's finally time to silence the beast. I will be finally buying an SSD (MX500 or 860 Evo depending on whichever cheaper) and want to replace the stock cooler.

    My case (Zalman ZM-T4) has only 140mm of clearance so a Hyper 212 won't fit.

    Ideally I want to spend under £20

    Noise levels are my priority

    Thermals have always been fine as I've only got a G4560 lmao

    What are my options? Arctic seem to make loads of cheap coolers but I've no idea which are good.

    Thanks so much guys!

    submitted by /u/LivelyFrog
    [link] [comments]

    $85 Ryzen 5 1600AF no longer in stock on amazon

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 12:33 AM PDT

    I was about to order the 1500 AF but it's no longer $85, does anybody know how long it takes for them to get back in stock at that price point?

    submitted by /u/doublea6
    [link] [comments]

    First gaming build

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 10:06 AM PDT

    Want to spend around 1200$ monitor included. Will mostly be playing CSGO, Valorant, and eventually Overwatch 2. Aiming for 1080p 144hz gameplay with at least 120fps. Thanks for any help! https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nxPjgJ

    submitted by /u/whoknew19
    [link] [comments]

    Need a monitor that can check a few boxes.

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 08:40 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I'm looking for a gaming monitor that would allow me to accomplish the following.

    Connect my gaming PC to the monitor, with all the g-sync and refresh rate bells and whistles. Connection can be via any modern video connection. It's going to be a brand new PC with a new graphics card.

    Allow me to connect a work laptop via USB C. I'd like the one connection functionality.

    Have a built in KVM switch. So I can flip my wireless mouse and keyboard over from one machine to the other.

    I've done some research an it seems like I can't find an option that does all 3 of the above.

    Any insight is very much appreciated, thank you.

    submitted by /u/doom92
    [link] [comments]

    Are the CPU/PCIe slots on modular power supplies safe to use for dual EPS boards?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 12:44 PM PDT

    My buddy is kindly gifting me his old Threadripper 1950x and Asus ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha mobo, since he upgraded.

    I just realized today that my old non-modular PSU doesn't have multiple EPS connectors on the power supply, so I was looking in to new ones and noticed that a ton of modular power supply manufacturers label their 8 pin ports as "CPU/PCIe". My previous knowledge was that these two connectors were not compatible because one uses 3 12v lines and 5 grounds, and the other used 4 12v lines and 4 grounds, so plugging a PCIe power line in to an 8 pin EPS socket would short 12v directly to ground and fry the mobo.

    I have built several PCs and never thought about this, but it has become important now since the Threadripper requires two 8 pin EPS connections, and my GTX 1080 requires two 8 pin PCIe connections.

    Most of the power supplies that explicitly support dual EPS are either sold out or prohibitively expensive right now, and the ones that are available for a reasonable price all seem to use this CPU/PCIe nomenclature.

    I'd rather not blow my new (to me) Threadripper sky high. My current mobo and CPU are AM3+ and really showing their age.

    submitted by /u/Vadhakara
    [link] [comments]

    Cant get my power supply to cut on.

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 12:44 PM PDT

    I thought the first PSU I bought was faulty and it didn't turn on, then I returned it and got a RM750 Corsair but still cant get this to power on, is there something I need to do with the motherboard? Also is there anyway that I can test the fan to see if it works? Im guessing that the PSU needs some type of power to it to work.

    EDIT: Motherboard is a B450 Tomahawk

    submitted by /u/Randy_Travis_In_2020
    [link] [comments]

    Is this ready to buy?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 06:43 AM PDT

    Hey everyone! I have this build with everything in-stock at the Microcenter near me and was hoping all you, much smarter pc builders, could see if what I built gets any seal of approvals before I purchase.

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/k7dKdm

    Intended use is mostly gaming, as well as normal everyday use; watching twitch/youtube/netflix on second monitor while either browsing or gaming at the same time. Looking for 1440 at 144hz, just waiting for the monitor i want to be back in stock.

    Thanks so much!

    submitted by /u/MidOneNight
    [link] [comments]

    Headphone suggestions for gamer with hearing loss.

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 01:26 PM PDT

    I know this is a very specific request, but I've been dealing with this issue for years and I've finally had enough and I'm hoping someone here has answers. I have a unilateral hearing loss (I just can't hear out of one ear) and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for settings or even headphones that you can program to make all of the sound play into one ear. I currently have the Hyperx Cloud 2 headphones which are pretty good for the one ear I can hear, but a lot of sounds (mostly footsteps, obviously) in the games I play don't come through so normal players with 2 ears can locate where the sound is coming from. But there are weird things that only play through one ear, like if you vault through a window in PUBG, or some of the dialogue in the Witcher 3 only plays in one ear, and I feel like I'm never getting the intended experience. I do have speakers I use sometimes, but I live with others and they are not always an option. I have played around a lot with in game audio settings but I haven't been able to find anything that works. Anyways, any suggestions for settings or headphones that are meant for this are appreciated

    submitted by /u/jkl5806
    [link] [comments]

    What’s my Bottleneck?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 08:24 AM PDT

    My gaming build is roughly 5 years old, and I'm trying to identify my biggest bottleneck to gaming performance before upgrading. I'm pretty sure I know what it is, but I want YOUR opinion! Remember- this PC is only used for gaming, so gaming performance is all that matters here. EDIT: at 1080p

    My current build:

    -AMD FX-9590 (@4.5GHz max for stability) CPU

    -ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z mobo

    -Kingston DDR3-1777 (KHX1866C10D3) 2x 8GB RAM

    -Zotac GTX1070 amp! Extreme GPU

    -some Mushkin SSDs

    Gripes about FX chip stability aside, my assumption is that my biggest bottleneck is my DDR3 RAM (&amp; associated bus, etc), and that I'd benefit much more by upgrading CPU/mobo/RAM than by spending a similar amount on a better GPU.

    Given that, I'm considering swapping to the following:

    -AMD Ryzen 3700X CPU

    -Gigabyte AORUS PRO WIFI mobo

    -G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3200 2x 16GB (CAS latency 14)

    Is my thought process sound? Am I probably right about the performance bottleneck? Any thoughts on my choice of new components?

    submitted by /u/SimoWilliams_137
    [link] [comments]

    Help with Kraken x73

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 11:26 AM PDT

    Hello friends, hoping someone here can help me with a decision. I just bought a kraken x73 liquid cooler and am stumped between using my cooler master rgb fans on the radiator or just using the fans that came with the liquid cooler. Any advice is much appreciated (: I'm using the kraken to cool an I9 9900k

    submitted by /u/imlordsnow
    [link] [comments]

    Good build?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 12:59 PM PDT

    RAM used in consecutive slots in older PCs?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 12:57 PM PDT

    Build a computer two years ago and every guide I watched made it extra clear that you use alternating RAM slots. Just opened an 8ish years old PC to find the memory used in consecutive slots. Was that allowed on older motherboards or did we use half the amount of memory for all those years?

    submitted by /u/jjohnson22314
    [link] [comments]

    How much fps would I have on OW,R6,Fortnite,CSGO and other games on a 700 euro prebuilt PC?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 12:56 PM PDT

    Rx 580

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 09:57 AM PDT

    With the rx 580 can i just replace it instead of my 560 I have from a prebuilt pc? I'm new to this so I'm not sure if you'd let me know thank you

    submitted by /u/uwubadknees
    [link] [comments]

    Why do PC have big antenna while consoles don't?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 12:37 PM PDT

    Im sure the pc will have better signal but still i wish pc would go the console route for a cleaner look. And i cant go wire because the router is in a different room.

    submitted by /u/muaytao
    [link] [comments]

    New Ram with an Old Processor

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 12:32 PM PDT

    Hey so I recently noticed I'm getting more and more bottlenecked by my 8 gb DDR 3 Ram to the point where I couldn't even play bannerlord so I wanted to upgrade. But my Processor is fairly old an i7-3770 with a 1155 socket. I looked for a new motherboard with the right socket for my processor and ddr4 or even ddr5 ram but they don't seem to exist. So my question is am I just bad at searching or do I have to stick with ddr3 ram? And if that's the case is it even worth it to upgrade? I am somewhat unclear on how much ddr5 actually improves with it's double bandwidth.

    Also a new processor with good specs is probably out of my current budget.

    submitted by /u/Xonarag
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen 5 1600 AF pricing: Will it ever come back? And if so when?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 09:19 AM PDT

    I'm try to set up a potential budget PC parts list for a friend. As usual, I recommended the Ryzen 5 1600 AF, but noticed that it rose to around $110 USD over the usual $85. It's bullshit too, because on some sites it says that it's on sale from "the usual 190 or so dollars". On Amazon, it was as if it sold out and you had to buy from third party retailers.

    Then I noticed on Newegg that there was the new Ryzen 3 1200 AF and was being sold for $80, only $5 under the 1600 AF's usual pricing. I was hoping for the 1200 AF was going to be way cheaper than $85 to avoiding rivaling the Ryzen 5 1600 AF, but I'm now worried this pricing may be permanent for the foreseeable future. What do you guys think?

    (By the way, I saw that people said that you can get Ryzen 5 2600 for cheaper than the 1600 AF at Microcenters.)

    submitted by /u/Cuality_Content
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment