• Breaking News

    Monday, August 30, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - August 30, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - August 30, 2021


    Simple Questions - August 30, 2021

    Posted: 30 Aug 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I think my computer just blew up. I have no idea what blew up or caught fire.

    Posted: 30 Aug 2021 08:53 AM PDT

    Edit:: My GPU is fried. There is clear signs of a short. Every vrm chip is black. One component is dead burnt. Now to make sure the mobo and CPU are alive...

    Rip....

    Original:: I was using my computer and suddenly I hear sparking like noise. there's a terrible smell and my computer shuts down.

    I unplgged it. I didnt see smoke and cant see any obvious signs of fire but the entire PC smells bad. I looked at the GPU, mobo and power supply. none of them look that bad right now. there's no shot, ash, etc.

    I dont want to plug it into the wall again in case I kill the rest of the system. I simply dont know whats wrong right now.

    submitted by /u/NoCSForYou
    [link] [comments]

    I finally made a gaming computer

    Posted: 29 Aug 2021 04:23 PM PDT

    I'm very happy to finally after years have my own computer. Its got its issues, but I'm dealing with them. Its our old Lenovo desktop but I added the GPU and a new PSU on to it. The cable management is non existent. The GPU was gifted to me, and managed to make this for just under $100. A huge thanks to everyone in the sub that helped me aswell.

    Picture: https://i.imgur.com/ZtXaXIQ.jpg

    Specs:

    • CPU: i5 4460
    • GPU: RX 580 4gb
    • RAM: 8gb ddr3
    • Storage: 500gb ssd and 1tb hardrive

    I know its not the best but its good enough for me

    Edit: thanks everyone for the kind words Edit 2: I've loved reading all your comments on how this reminds you all of your first builds, its so nice to see the commonalities in the community, and becoming a part of them.

    submitted by /u/MNLegoBoy
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone else feel like your building a PC is more fun then actually using it ?

    Posted: 30 Aug 2021 12:32 PM PDT

    Idk it could just be me but I enjoy building a PC more then actually using it. After it switches on, its like "great, now what". Me personally, as soon as I upgrade a part or finish a build, I'm planning the next.

    submitted by /u/FunGiPranks
    [link] [comments]

    Is The RTX 3060 Ti Enough For 1440p 165Hz?

    Posted: 30 Aug 2021 05:59 AM PDT

    I built a new PC, I have new parts for everything except the GPU. I'm currently using my old 1050 Ti until I can get my hands on a newer generation GPU. I'm looking for a 3060 Ti because I think it's a pretty good value (if I can actually get one at MSRP), but I am willing to go with a 3070 if recommended for my monitor. Here are my specs to give a better idea

    CPU: i5 10600k @ 4.8Ghz / RAM: 16GB 3600Mhz CL16 / GPU: RTX 3060 Ti or RTX 3070

    The monitor i want to purchase will be the Optix MAG274QRF-QD.

    Let me know your thoughts! Thanks.

    EDIT: I play games like Apex Legends, I will play the new Battlefield, I will play Warzone...when I have a GPU that can run it decently. I want to play

    submitted by /u/Blubbsss
    [link] [comments]

    is GTX 1080 good in 2021 ?

    Posted: 30 Aug 2021 08:09 AM PDT

    Hello, everyone.

    I currently own AMD r9 290x which is 6-7 years old now. Looking to upgrade to GTX 1080. Will the 1080 be suitable for streaming newer games like New World, Icarus, Company of Heroes 3 and etc? Or should i look for RTX 2060?
    As my current GPU i sense that soon will die of old age and the only option i have is to buy RTX 2060 for 500$ or Asus Turbo GTX 1080 for 476$ - which are second-hand cards.

    My other components are:

    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

    RAM: 2 x 8 GB 3600 MHZ
    PSU: 850 W Gold
    Storage: m2 NVEME's. - 2 pieces.

    submitted by /u/WoeIsNevermore
    [link] [comments]

    2080 Ti or 3060 Ti?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2021 10:35 PM PDT

    I can get both for about the same price. I'm torn cause I know 2080 ti is better but 3060 ti is newer… coming from a rx 5700. Just wanted to know the public's opinion on which one they would get. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/cho4three
    [link] [comments]

    PC Will No Longer Boot

    Posted: 30 Aug 2021 10:19 AM PDT

    I've used my computer for ~2Yrs, and just this past week it will no longer turn on. The day before, it was working fine.

    So far I've tried different power supplies and that didn't seem to be the problem. When switched on, they both seem to be able to provide power for less than a second to the motherboard - lights flickered. Sometimes to the LEDs in the I/O Shield, other times at the Power/Reset buttons on the motherboard. But power is not maintained.

    Because of this I think there is a short or connection problem somewhere in my build. I've taken it apart and see nothing wrong with my parts so far, and no coolant either (I have a custom loop).

    So what could it be?

    submitted by /u/arakaia
    [link] [comments]

    My first Gaming PC

    Posted: 30 Aug 2021 02:07 AM PDT

    Hello everybody, I'm from Germany please forgive me if my english is not the best. I was never into PC gaming but got recently very interessted in it. So I want to build my first gaming PC. I looked up a lot of Builds and i think i found one that would be perfect for me. It's a build that will last me for a long time. I just want to read your opinions on the build. Maybe some of you know where to save a little money or where to improve.

    Case: Corsair iCue 465x RGB + 1 Corsair ML120 PRO RGB Fan

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

    CPU Cooler: beQuiet! Dark Rock4 Pro

    Power supply: beQuiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 850W ATX 2.51

    RAM: Corsair Vengance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4-3600

    Mainboard: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk

    SSD: Seegate FireCuda 520 1TB, M.2

    GPU: Either a 3070 or 3080 Ti or not doesn't matter for me (3080Ti preffered but f me are those GPUs overpriced)

    I hope I didn't forgot anything. I'm looking forward to read your opinions on that Build

    submitted by /u/Siggi089
    [link] [comments]

    What is better? Total amount of Ram GB or the speed of the sticks.

    Posted: 30 Aug 2021 12:23 PM PDT

    So i have an older Ram with 2400Mhz DDR4 and i want to upgrade it. Should i just buy faster 16GB with 3200mhz or should i add another 16 GB with 2400Mhz?

    32GB 2400Mhz or 16GB 3200Mhz whats better?

    submitted by /u/GN8T
    [link] [comments]

    A long time coming, or; another economical NR200 build but this one is mine!

    Posted: 30 Aug 2021 10:44 AM PDT

    Pictures first, of course: https://imgur.com/a/UCjoCrm

    So I started buying this build piecemeal in April. I kept a close eye on /r/buildapcsales and local listings with a rough idea of what I wanted and I ended up getting what I feel like is a pretty decent deal on almost everything with a few exceptions. I had a few goals: smart, high quality/cost (value) ratio and I didn't want to lose sleep over pinching pennies and spend an inordinate amount of time shopping and coupon clipping. I definitely have a tendency toward choice paralysis and so I set deadlines and budgets for myself to keep it in check. Could I have gotten better deals? Sure, with much more headache and sunk time and delays so I'm happy with the sort of 80/20 rules I set myself and the results I ended up with, especially given the current and prospective market. Parts list below, and then I'll break it down below that.

    PCPartPicker Part List

    Type Item Price
    CPU Intel Core i5-11400 2.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $170.00
    CPU Cooler Noctua NH-C14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler $84.81 @ Newegg Sellers
    Motherboard ASRock H570M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1200 Motherboard Purchased For $134.99
    Memory Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory Purchased For $74.99
    Storage SK hynix Gold P31 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive Purchased For $114.74
    Video Card EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB XC GAMING Video Card Purchased For $389.99
    Case Cooler Master MasterBox NR200 Mini ITX Desktop Case Purchased For $69.99
    Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA GM 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply Purchased For $69.99
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total $1109.50
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-08-30 12:18 EDT-0400

    CPU: I was interested in the 11400 specifically because of Optimum Tech's 11400 review and originally because of motherboard availability and pricing. I'm personally super impressed with this and I'm glad I grabbed it when I did. Despite living right next to a microcenter I was not able to capitalize on the mobo package deal - I kept an eye on the stock for weeks and weeks and microcenter just would not stock an itx b560 or h570 mobo, and did not refresh their original stock of 11400's so when they dwindled down to 2-3 left I said so be it and snagged one.

    CPU Cooler: I knew I wanted the C14s from Machines and More's cooler roundup, and I really liked the idea of the top down cooler. Realistically this didn't really matter a ton but since I figured I was probably going to end up with the mesh side panel instead of the tempered glass this is what I went with.

    CPU FAN: I just got the new thick phanteks fan in today, which is the penultimate piece of the puzzle so I'm finally posting! I haven't had a ton of time with it yet but so far it is very effective at low rpm's per Machines and More's video and gets the fan closer to the side panel of the case (and closer to cool outside air to pull in) due to the slightly increased thickness. I'm still waiting on noctua's 120mm clips to come in but that won't be for a few weeks, so the stock clips will have to do for now.

    MOBO: as stated in cpu section, I waited literally months for microcenter to stock an itx b560 or h570 mobo to no avail, and with no release date on the upcoming models I decided to just snag the h570 from newegg after getting one of the last 11400's from microcenter. I'm bummed to miss out on the savings but it's not that big of a deal. I will say the layout of this mobo made building in it more difficult than it needed to be. The whole area right next to the pcie where the graphics card is trying to exist is very cramped with audio headers, fan headers, cmos battery (which I ended up moving) etc etc. I originally wanted the cheaper b560 but this is what newegg had in stock during my (very wide) shopping window. The extra USB ports helps make the extra money spent easier to swallow, especially since I'm usually running a lot of usb devices.

    RAM: classic crucial ballistix. Snagged an open box model from microcenter for cheaper but when I showed up they said they couldn't find it so just gave me the brand new sticks for the open box price. With RAM prices coming down it's now not that great of a deal but it's what I got. Of course I turned on xmp and overclocked a bit.

    Storage: Really happy with this one, another sale from /r/buildapcsales and I'm fine spending a tiny bit more money to bump a tier in quality. pcie 3 speeds and booting up is quick. no compaints.

    GPU: another purchase that I'm happy enough with. I'm certainly more than lukewarm about it but ecstatic might be overselling it. I kept an eye on microcenter stock and I didn't want or really need to camp out forever. Given that I was upgrading from a 290 anything I got would be awesome. I originally had my eyes set on either a cheaper 1660super (which my microcenter did stock occasionally) for 1080p on a budget while I waited for prices to settle, or something like a 3060ti or higher so I could make the proper jump into a high refresh rate 1440p. After two tries the only thing I was able to get was the in-between 3060 which at msrp I was happy to grab. This will probably be the first thing I upgrade in a few years time but for now I'm chuffed with 1440p at 60+fps on the more cinematic adventure games I play on very high settings, and I can turn down a bit to really crank the fps. I will say I spent the extra $40 or whatever for microcenters 2 year replacement warranty thing. Given the market that peace of mind was totally worth it.

    Case: Despite running the math, and the NR200 is actually bigger in person than I thought it would be, though much smaller than the air 240 I upgraded from. It is as much of a dream to build in as everyone says, although the motherboard tried its best to make it more difficult. I don't really have anything to say about the nr200 that someone else hasn't said already. It's awesome. I do have a lot of empty space though so I'm definitely keeping an eye on the sff market these next few years. Maybe downsizing is in my future. Another one snagged on sale from /r/buildapcsales.

    PSU: Not much to say here. I felt it was pretty reputable and decently reviewed product and it was on a decent sale.

    PSU cables: PSLATE CABLES ARE AWESOME. I will say I had an issue with one of my cables in which somewhere between ordering and producing a bit of info was missed on their end and two wires were crossed that weren't supposed to be crossed or something like that. After troubleshooting on my end and confirming that it was definitely their cable I had a replacement shipped extremely quickly. I wish I had gotten the right stuff the first time around but mistakes happen and their turnaround was so quick so I'm not upset in the slightest. I'm incredibly please with the ultra clean blackout look.

    Case Fans: For case fans I opted for the artic p12 slims all over. These were an awesome deal on /r/buildapcsales that I just had to jump on. I sat on these for two months before I finished buying the rest of the components! I could have gotten something thicker for the bottom intake fans but I liked keeping everything matching. I ordered shorter pins for the top slim fans (as the included pins are for full thickness fans) from BlueThreadGear on etsy and left a 5 star review. The package got here quick and they even included some spares. I could have used zip ties or whatever but I really wanted a super clean polished look.

    Peripherals

    Mouse: My mouse is my trusty workhorse of years - the g502. The LED is getting old and looks much more green so I'm keeping an eye out on a sale for the wireless version. I tried a g305 when it was on sale for $40 but I like the bulk and the extra buttons of the g502 so I passed it along to my partner for their work from home setup.

    Keyboard: I love blue switches but the noise is a downer with the studio being right off the living room so I opted for browns in the Ducky One 2 SF. Great feeling keyboard and I wanted this size because I love my delete and pg up/pg dn keys.

    Monitor: I don't know a ton about monitors but the new HP X27Q had an incredible deal for release so I quickly grabbed it as my first 1440p monitor. I'm loving it so far! Tons of screen real estate and the high refresh rate and gsync capability is really enjoyable.

    Audio gear: The focusrite 2i2 drives my DT770 pros and JBL 305s just fine. I'm a gigging musician so I have other speakers, headphones, audio interfaces etc for playing live but I do edit together clips of my playing and do some light recording and mixing at home so my needs are pretty minor. What I have gets the job done.

    Overall I feel 9/10 pleased with my commitment to my goals of value and effort. I didn't spend sleepless nights camping out at microcenter, I did enough research to feel satisfied with my purchases and I stuck to my budget and my schedule so now I actually have a computer instead of waiting months and years for just the right deal to come along.

    submitted by /u/GreenTambourine
    [link] [comments]

    Should i sell my RX 5700 XT?

    Posted: 30 Aug 2021 05:18 AM PDT

    Hello everybody!
    In december 2019 i bought my RX 5700 XT for 380€ (I'm from italy), and now seeing the price at which they're being sold make me think of selling it.
    I have an laptop with RTX 3060 so the lack of gpu won't be a problem
    I never sold nothing in my life, so first of all, should i sell it? In affermative case, where? How can i avoid to be scammed?
    Thanks in advance!

    P.S. sorry for my bad english :|

    submitted by /u/TosicBob
    [link] [comments]

    New to pc building. Could someone explain how video card compatibility works? Or can you use any video card for any CPU or whatever. If I'm wrong about what I'm saying please correct me I'm trying my best to learn as much as possible. Thanks!

    Posted: 30 Aug 2021 12:08 PM PDT

    Help choosing first GPU: 3060 vs 6600XT?

    Posted: 30 Aug 2021 01:01 PM PDT

    Hello everyone, I hope you're doing well during these harsh times.
    I'm building my brother in law's first PC, and I'm struggling to choose the GPU as prices are stupid high, but we need it right now so we're gonna have to just deal with it. I'm from chile, so our market is crazier than the US.
    We managed to stretch the GPU budget to ~800USD.

    We got an i5 11400 to have something to hold on while we wait for prices to go down, but he said screw it, let's buy the thing right now cuz prices aren't going down soon. So to cut to the grain, our options have been reduced to:

    -Sapphire Pulse 6600XT (740 USD)

    -Sapphire Nitro+ 6600XT (766 USD)

    -Zotac Gaming RTX 3060 Twin Edge (840 USD)

    Leaving aside the unarmed robbery these prices are, according to reviews the 6600XT has the edge against the 3060 in raw power, but the 3060 has DLSS to its favor. As much as we'd like to get a 3060Ti/3070 or a 6700XT, those go up to 1000USD so they're off the table. Given the recent FSR launch and promising development, and that he doesn't care about Ray Tracing, I'd like to ask:

    - Is DLSS 2.0 valuable enough (for futureproofing) to pay 80 bucks more for an otherwise inferior card? or FSR will eventually surpass it?

    -Is the Nitro+ model worth the extra over Pulse?

    -Should we wait until the 6700XT fits our budget?

    Any help would be much appreciated. Best regards!

    submitted by /u/justamofo
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to buy used. Need opinions.

    Posted: 30 Aug 2021 10:13 AM PDT

    I found a local guy thats selling his PC since he's going to the military soon. His description: "RX 580 super 8gb. B450amd motherboard with Ryzen 5 2600. 24gb of ddr4 3000mz ram. Nzxt kraken liquid cooling for cpu. 3 fans. Rgbs included. And white h150 nzxt case with tempered glass. No storage included. Built myself and is in good condition." Is this worth it for $900?

    submitted by /u/throwawayyyyyees
    [link] [comments]

    Finishing up my build

    Posted: 30 Aug 2021 10:54 AM PDT

    After deciding all the parts i'm almost ready to order them though i'm still not really sure about the GPU, the overall build is:

    • Intel Core i5-11600K, 6x 3.90GHz
    • MSI B560M-A Pro, S. 1200
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB
    • 16GB DDR4-2400 | TeamGroup Vulcan
    • 500GB | Samsung 870 EVO
    • 2 TB | Western Digital WD Blue SATA III
    • 750 Watt 80 PLUS GOLD | Corsair RMx Series

    Is the RTX 3060 a good card for a build that will cost me around 1700€?

    submitted by /u/Torafuku
    [link] [comments]

    Rate my first gaming workstation build + some questions!

    Posted: 30 Aug 2021 08:32 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    TL;DR, rate/comment on this build, for gaming and some high performance computing. Long story below.

    This is my first build for a personal PC (done it for work already though!), and I'm doing it with some outside help from experienced builders, but I still feel like I could use a final look from you guys before I start buying everything. Here are my goals:

    • Gaming: I haven't had a gaming PC for the past 5-6 years, and what I had before that was a mid-range gaming laptop that I bought in 2011 to play Skyrim. I want to be able to smoothly run (>60 fps) all the AAA games I missed out on during that time (say, post-2015) at their best or near-best settings, and enjoy current and near-future games (say, 2-5 years future-proof) with an okay fps too, as much as possible. I intend to buy a 1440p/144 Hz monitor.

    • Working: I use demanding proprietary physics/engineering simulation softwares at work, on a workstation paid for by work which I can't bring home (been remote desktop-ing from my laptop during the pandemic). Long story short, it would be very convenient if I could also run those softwares at home, but work won't pay for it. The recommended reqs for the most demanding software I use is 8-16 cores/CPU @>3 GHZ, and 32-64 GB DDR4 RAM. This is not overstated as I have 2x8 cores @2.4 GHz and 128 GB RAM at work, and I can easily reach that limit if I'm just a little too ambitious.

    • Budget: Meh... technically it's kind of tight, but my 30th birthday is coming up and I spent 0$ on gaming in the past 10 years, so I'm treating myself a bit. I won't quote a number, let's just say I will pay for good stuff, but can't really afford to throw money out the window just for kicks (e.g. build aesthetics considerations, etc.) or for a scalped/overpriced GPU.

    My strategy was to wait until I found a decently priced graphics card since that's the hardest part to find (aiming for 3070/3070 Ti up in terms of performance), and build my computer around that. Two weeks ago, I snagged an AMD 6800XT at MSRP from their weekly drops, so here's what I built (nothing bought yet apart from the 6800XT). I'll post my reasoning for each part, and end with a couple of questions.

    • CPU - Ryzen 9 5900X: Justified by my work needs, see above. R7 5800X would technically still do but the cost difference is not significant.
    • CPU Cooler - Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler: Got that recommendation from Logical Increments. The Dark Rock 4 Pro is not that much more expensive so if you think I should get it, I will.
    • Motherboard - Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS: Also got that rec from Logical Increments, and browsing reddit. Not super familiar with what I should look for in a motherboard other than compatibility with other parts.
    • Memory - 32 (2x16) GB DDR4-3600 Memory from Team: Justified by my work needs, see above. Got the rec for the brand from Logical Increments.
    • SSD - Corsair MP600 Core 1 TB SSD: I need 1 TB, and this was the cheapest PCIe 4.0 SSD at 1 TB.
    • Graphics card - AMD Radeon RX 6800XT: Managed to get it new (reference) at MSRP. Unless I hear a strong argument, I probably won't change this one because it would involve selling it and going back to shopping for a graphics card which is a nightmare these days.
    • Case - Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case: Inexpensive case that fits all the parts, has fans that are apparently not too loud, was recommended by Logical Increments.
    • PSU - EVGA GQ 750 W 80+ Gold: This is probably overkill judging from the PCPartPicker estimated wattage, but I prefer to round up just in case, and the price increase from 650 W to 750 W is insignificant.
    • OS - Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit: Only OS that runs the software I need.
    • Monitor - Samsung 32" 2560x1400 144 Hz: Cheapest at that resolution and refresh rate. I figured that's the right resolution/refresh rate combo for gaming with the 6800XT.

    Here are my questions:

    • I got a lot of recommendations from Logical Increments. This is my first time following that website. Is it reliable, or does it just push sponsors' parts?
    • I don't know much about motherboards, I just followed the recommendation and double-checked on reddit that it was a probably a better decision than Gigabyte. Am I good?
    • SSD: I looked for the cheapest 4th gen PCIe 1TB SSD, and this one (Corsair MP600) is a good 20% cheaper than the next cheapest. Is there a reason for that, should I be wary?
    • SSD again: is it worth going for the 4th gen PCIe SSD, or should I just go 3rd gen and save ~60$?
    • Case: here I deviated from the Logical Increments recommendation and went for a cheaper case (i.e. one they recommended for a less enthusiatic build). Seems to fit everything and have good cooling though. Anything I should be wary of?
    • Generally, do you see any major flaw in my build? Compatibility issue? Any other recommendation?

    Cheers!

    submitted by /u/centmac
    [link] [comments]

    My final decisions on parts

    Posted: 30 Aug 2021 12:12 PM PDT

    From the time i first posted my early parts and received some feedback i decided to follow through some along with changing others i chose on my own. So again let me know if this is okay to roll with.

    Cpu: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-core

    Cpu cooler: NZXT Kraken X63 280mm

    Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK Gaming Motherboard

    Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB)

    Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 500GB

    Video card: MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1650 Super

    Case: Corsair 4000D Tempered Glass Mid-Tower

    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home | USB Flash Drive

    Power supply: Corsair RM Series, RM650, 650 Watt, 80+ Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply

    submitted by /u/L1hu
    [link] [comments]

    Spiritual Successor Build - Best Way to Have the Most Fun Overclocking

    Posted: 30 Aug 2021 09:07 AM PDT

    It has been a long time since I last built a PC and life has finally aligned to allow me to build a new one. I previously had been building new machines every 2 to 3 years and really enjoyed the tweaking and overclocking process with each new build. I would go through setting after setting in the bios and then stress the computer overnight to see how stable it was, I wish I kept all those screenshots of prime95 and CPU-Z from back then! That overclocking and seeing how far I could push things was half the fun of the computer for me. I had gone from an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton core to a Socket 754 AMD Sempron 2800+ Palermo core. Then in 2006 the computer world was buzzing for the release of Core 2 Duo and Intel coming back out on top. I was ready to upgrade and move to Intel for the first time and built what would be my final PC before moving to laptops out of necessity. I was quite happy with what I had put together:

    • Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo - Conroe - Overclocked to 3.4ghz - Scythe Ninja CPU Cooler
    • Asus P5W-DH Deluxe - Socket LGA775 i975x chipset
    • 4x1GB OCZ Gold DDR2 800 Ram
    • ATI X1800XT 512MB - Flashed to PE Bios - Thermalright HR-03 Cooler
    • 74GB WD Raptor 10,000RPM Hard Drive
    • Zippy 500W PSU
    • Antec P180 Case
    • Dell 2407WFP LCD Monitor (a side grade from my previous 21" Dell P1130 CRT Monitor)

    The computer world sure has changed from then and I would like to get back in with a new build that will allow me to scratch the overclocking itch and get back to PC gaming in a real way. I will likely be going with a 27" 240hz 1440p monitor (LG G7 or Alienware AW2721D) which will push me to a higher end video card, I'm thinking 6800XT as a nod to the previous X1800XT

    What I would like to know is what platform, AMD or Intel, will allow me to have the most fun tweaking and overclocking? Should I be going high end with the CPU or mid range? Should I focus on a higher end motherboard? This build will be as much about the journey assembling, overclocking and tweaking the system as the end result. I am most familiar with high end air cooling, but would potentially like to try some water-cooling too. Let me know your thoughts on what to get to pull the most overclocking fun from.

    submitted by /u/skierman_2000
    [link] [comments]

    Motherboard light

    Posted: 30 Aug 2021 01:59 PM PDT

    I am building a pc and I'm pretty new to it. I have everything hooked up to my motherboard and installed in my case. My mother board is a asus rog strix b550-f gaming. Underneath the EATX12V_2 port in the top left there is a flashing red light. It's not my boot lights. When I turn my computer on, nothing happens but that light flashing. I feel like it's a power issue but I could be wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated

    submitted by /u/XxFadedClownxX
    [link] [comments]

    Is 50C ok idle temp for a CPU?

    Posted: 30 Aug 2021 05:06 AM PDT

    While under <5% load (idle), it sits between 50C and 55C. And while under 60% load it sits between 70C and 80C. Is this ok for the CPU? I have a Ryzen 3 3100, and am using a Raijintek Juno Pro and will swap it out soon with an Aerocool Cylon 4.

    submitted by /u/TrevastyPlague
    [link] [comments]

    Building a entry level PC

    Posted: 30 Aug 2021 11:00 AM PDT

    Just looking for some opinions on my budget build for mid level gaming - Warzone - GTA etc…. Any thoughts..

    1TB HDD - 240GB SSD Intel Core i7 2nd Gen 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT1030 8GB RAM

    Any thoughts on how it will perform with some of the popular games currently.

    Thanks guys

    submitted by /u/Mushalot
    [link] [comments]

    55 c idle temps?

    Posted: 30 Aug 2021 08:03 AM PDT

    So I just finished building my new PC a couple days ago, I have a i9-10850k and a kraken x63, I checked everything, pump is working fans are working, I have Nzxt cam installed etc... Before all this I was running a slight overclock to 5.1 with a save voltage, and I was idling 30-35c and when gaming 40-50c So I was playing and suddendly I hear my fans ramping up loud and them blue screen, If I try to enter windows and load the basics like Nvidia control panel, or discord I get blue screen, I am now in my bios idling 55c, in my bios i can see all the fans and pump working it's at 2300 rpm right now, and I don't know what to do, my only explanation to this is that while I was building I thing I fucked up a bit of my pre applied thermal past, what's your thoughts on this and what should I do?

    submitted by /u/Drlages12
    [link] [comments]

    No switch on psu

    Posted: 30 Aug 2021 09:15 AM PDT

    Silly question here, but I ordered a 350 watt psu for my build, and it doesn't have the usual on/off switch on the housing. Is that typical, and will it function the same as a psu with toggle switch? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/TheElGonzo
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrade path for R7 2700x & GTX 1660?

    Posted: 30 Aug 2021 12:55 PM PDT

    Hey, I want to find a upgrade path for my PC.

    Current Specs:

    - CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x

    - GPU: MSI GTX 1660

    - RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB clocked @ 3200MHz (but limits me to 2133 due to the CPU architecture).

    - Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H

    - Storage: 1TB HDD (SATA & NVMe SSD is being delivered soon).

    -

    Pretty much covered the essentials except I do not know how many watts my PSU is. But aside all that, I want to find a upgrade path is nice & easy, my budget is around £700.

    submitted by /u/hxiderr
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment