• Breaking News

    Monday, August 2, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - August 02, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - August 02, 2021


    Simple Questions - August 02, 2021

    Posted: 02 Aug 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    There is no need for a gaming computer to run High Performance / Ultimate Power Plans in Windows.

    Posted: 02 Aug 2021 06:55 AM PDT

    Figured this post needed to happen as it's often uninformed advice given to people as to "how to fix X problem" or "MAX FPS SETTINGS." It's rampant on YouTube and Reddit... and there's a reason you'll never see respected sites/videos suggesting to do this.

    So what is High Performance / Ultimate Power Plan?

    • High Performance / Ultimate Power Plan is like buying a brand new car and slapping a brick on the gas pedal while it's in your drive way. Computer wise performance mode forces your CPU to run at maximum P-state at all times, while ultimate power plan runs at both maximum P-states and C-states. These settings are both created for workstations and servers that are meant to be running X task consistently and forever. They're not made for gaming computers, you're just wasting energy and creating unnecessary heat.

    What do I use? Balanced mode, the one used straight on first boot. So what is it?

    • Balanced mode lets your CPU downclock when there is no demand for voltage from your workload. As an example my cpu is currently running between hovering .764v as I write this. (with Chrome, Discord, vmware, Steam, Slack and HWinfo64 open). This is how the CPU should operate as it's generating less overall heat, because I don't need it to be right now therefore the computer is not demanding it.

    • When gaming it takes microseconds, a completely unnoticeable amount of time, for a computer to ramp up a CPU. When gaming this happens when you boot, and will stay there as needed. It will not create micro-stutter, and you will not gain FPS, within error, from this in benchmarks

    But how do I get rid of micro-stutter?

    • The micro-stutter you're getting is not going to be a direct result of balanced power plan. A host of possibilities like exiting/entering a vertical sync range, it could be a hardware issue, it could be the game has bad code, it could be your firewall, could be you're running the game DVR or other intrusive programs, your cooler may not be sufficient, you may need to reinstall your drivers, I've seen stories of unused USB devices causing stuttering like mice, and many other things.

    I guess the point is problem solving on PCs isn't easy, it's frustrating. As a piece of advice it's good to stay calm, rationalize what could be your issues, find a good place to ask about them, and come informed. When attempting to fix issues take it one at a time and don't "throw money at it" unless it's your last logical option.

    And if you don't believe me, take it from someone at AMD.

    submitted by /u/DaBombDiggidy
    [link] [comments]

    Is the gtx 1660 6GB and the and Ryzen 3600 a good match for a semi budget build?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2021 10:25 AM PDT

    What are some good quality, inexpensive speakers?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2021 11:25 AM PDT

    I don't need anything with turbobass and 12.1 simulated surround sound.

    Just some basic speakers that won't break after two months.

    submitted by /u/The_Trekspert
    [link] [comments]

    Been out of the game for 15 years, what's changed?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2021 10:30 AM PDT

    Hi all! I want to build myself a new gaming rig. I used to build them all the time from the age of like 11-20 but have now not done so in 15 years! How time flies.

    Has much changed other than the (insane) price of graphics cards? Is there any physical difference on how to build them?

    Are there newer things I should be considering?

    Thanks you all!

    submitted by /u/Mr_B_86
    [link] [comments]

    How’s this build?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2021 08:01 AM PDT

    Ryzen 5 5600x

    RTX 3060 TI FE

    32gb T-Force Vulcan RAM

    4tb HDD

    500gb m.2 SSD

    Montech X1 case

    4x Noctua p12 Redux fans

    ID Cooling air cooler

    MSI B550-A ProSeries

    XPG Pylon 750w PSU

    submitted by /u/Oms19
    [link] [comments]

    please help im confused

    Posted: 02 Aug 2021 11:09 AM PDT

    Is gtx 960 4gb / i5 10400/16gb good for 2021

    I asked for a 1650 but theyre out in my local shop . and my region will likely requarantine.

    what should i do ?

    update : he only has 960 so i guess i have to wait. thanks to everyone that commented.

    submitted by /u/Draxuuss
    [link] [comments]

    Is this MSI RTX 2070 super 8GB worth it?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2021 08:01 AM PDT

    Hello.

    Would it be worth it to buy a used RTX 2070 Super 8GB for 3500dkk/560$, if it was only used for gaming?

    I don't know how old it is(when it was bought from new).

    Im not sure if this breaks rule nr 6, if it does, I'm sorry!

    submitted by /u/Vinzere
    [link] [comments]

    thermal paste

    Posted: 02 Aug 2021 11:01 AM PDT

    I just got this cpu cooler:

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HM1T6RL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    does this come pre applied with thermal paste on the cooler or do i need to apply the thermal paste on the cpu myself?

    submitted by /u/Ok-Stranger23
    [link] [comments]

    First mITX build

    Posted: 02 Aug 2021 04:56 AM PDT

    Im building my first mITX build in a NR200 Case. Im using a B550i from Gigabyte and it only comes with 3 Fan Headers and x1 USB 2.0 Header.

    Im using Kraken x63 as my cooler so CPU Header will be used. I will dedicate the rad fans on one header and will then use a SATA powered fan hub and connect 4 fans on the last header.

    With the Kraken x63 will require the USB 2.0 header. However I also got 4x LL120 fans with Lighting Node Pro. Which requires the header as well to control the RGB.

    Can I just connect the fans in the Node Pro to power the RGB and leave the header connector unplugged (meaning default RGB only without iCue control) OR can I connect it to my rear panel USB 3? via USB A? temporarily till i get a 2.0 header splitter

    submitted by /u/Sprinkadinky
    [link] [comments]

    Which peripherals can use USB hub?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2021 09:00 AM PDT

    So, i got a problem. I don't have enough usb ports for my peripherals. I need to connect USB microphone, webcam, wireless headset and wireless mouse. I got only 3 USB ports. I think i need USB 3.0 on all of them or it will lag. If i use USB hub that is 3.0 USB, won't that throttle? They are usually 1 USB port to 4 ports. If that would have no throttle at all even if i used all 4 i can imagine connecting all my peripherals to it so i can easily disconnect everything at ones (cuz i got laptop)

    Also i know that wired mouse and such periferals don't send much data but those wireless lag on 2.0 usb, idk if it's cuz they send more data or they need higher bandwidth or what's up with that

    submitted by /u/Zajlordg
    [link] [comments]

    Case fans where to plug in?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2021 07:50 AM PDT

    https://imgur.com/Elel2qB

    The case is NZXT and there are two case fans I need to connect but there is no sys_fan. Do I connect them into cha_fan 2? The case fans are 3 pins whilst cha_fan2 are 4 pins so which pins do I connect to if that is the case? Starting from the bottom most pin?

    Thank you,

    Motherboard: ASUS PRIME Z390-A

    submitted by /u/ricepuddingandsugar
    [link] [comments]

    I need help installing an RTX 3070ti into a Skytech PC

    Posted: 02 Aug 2021 01:31 PM PDT

    I'll start by saying I'm tepidly fluent when it comes to PC components. Worked with computers, professionally, my whole life, and I've successfully upgraded components on PCs in the past, but this is killing me, and I've never felt more in-the-woods on a tech issue.

    My current pc is a Skytech Gaming Desktop PC (AMD Ryzen 7 2700; 8-core 3.2 GHz). It came factory with an RTX 2060 Super (8 gb) & 16gb DDR4 RAM. https://newegg.com/skytech-st-shadow-003-ne/p/N82E16883289038

    I purchased an ASUS RTX 3070 ti. I (foolishly) assumed it would be a simple remove/replace situation. It was not.

    For one, there are 3 PCIe inputs on the 3070 vs the 1 on my current 2070. From what I've read thus far, the 3070 appears to be fine with just 2 PCIe connections (the PS is 600w), however when using the only PS out cable (which is a y), the computer seems to boot without issue, but has no display on either monitor, so I really can't confirm that. (FYI: The lights on the 3070 came on, but fans did not)

    My assumption was that this is a power issue, likely due to the y cable output, but again, I cannot confirm this.

    I guess my questions are:

    1) Has anyone here ever installed a 3070 on a similar Skytech build? 2) are they even compatible? 3) is there any dual power supply setup that's really practical/safe, given my circumstances?

    Thank you for any help you might provide 🤓

    submitted by /u/bobobobobobooo
    [link] [comments]

    Is this good for a beginner?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2021 05:50 AM PDT

    I am a beginner to PC's and would need a little bit of help with a pc I am going to build. Is this any good to any people who know a fair bit about pc's and what I should upgrade and downgrade?

    My budget is looking at about (800GBP) or (1,111USD).

    My discord is wibulator#0804 for any further questions or information. (ONLY ABOUT PC'S)

    pcpartpicker.com/list/GsyMsX

    submitted by /u/SpecialClassic900
    [link] [comments]

    Monitor Goes Black from time to time

    Posted: 02 Aug 2021 11:02 AM PDT

    Sup guys , so my monitor goes black for 2-3 seconds from time to time , and i have no idea why.

    What i tried:

    GTX 1070 GPU , i had it in my old PC and never had this problem.
    PSU - It's the same PSU i had the 1070 hooked on in my old PC, so no problems as well.
    Drivers- Used DDU and reinstalled latest drivers.
    Monitor - Switched monitors , problem still persists in both of them.

    I have a R5 1600AF , 500W PSU , Asus dual 1070 and b450 MSI Pro Max board , 16gb of 3200mhz hyperx fury.

    Any ideas? Could it be a driver issue?

    EDIT: I tried with both overclocking and no overclocking , seems to happen as often. Temps are good ( CPU - 68-70C and GPU 70-75c in RDR2 for example)

    submitted by /u/iedy2345
    [link] [comments]

    What is a good motherboard for a 5600x that isn't overpriced

    Posted: 02 Aug 2021 10:53 AM PDT

    I want to build a pc with a Ryzen 5 5600x and I'm not sure which motherboard is the best for price to performance

    submitted by /u/Nthpond288371
    [link] [comments]

    Need a new CPU

    Posted: 02 Aug 2021 12:57 PM PDT

    I have an RX 570, Great budget card and I'm happy with it. My problem is my current CPU which is a Core i5 3750K @ 3.40 GHz. It's a Cpu from 2012 and It Tanks My Performance a lot…I mean a lot. I was thinking of getting a Ryzen 5 5600x 6 core 12 thread. I was told it would bottleneck my computer. So what do you guys think? Please leave some suggestions.

    submitted by /u/gv1k
    [link] [comments]

    The cheapest way to shrink my PC

    Posted: 02 Aug 2021 12:56 PM PDT

    Hey yall. I've been thinking about shrinking my PC for some time now but I always thought it's unnecessary. But for my birthday I wanna treat myself by doing so. But I want to find the cheapest way to do that. And that involves replacing the least amount of components that I have now. These are my specs:

    • Ryzen 5 3600
    • MSI 3070 Ventus 3X (OC) (300mm)
    • ATX EVGA PSU 650W 80+ Gold non modular
    • Hyper 212 EVO
    • NZXT H510
    • ASUS TUF B550 motherboard

    Things I definitely have to change: - Case - Motherboard

    Things I may not need to change: - ATX PSU - Cooler

    Option 1: MetallicGear Neo Mini V2 - Pros: can use same psu and cooler, cheap - Cons: 25 liters, a bit too big for sff

    Option 2: Meshlicious - Pros: can use same psu, small - Cons: A bit expensive, must buy a new cooler

    I would like your opinion on which is better for me. Or maybe you can provide more options for me. Or you can tell me what your reasoning is for choosing the more expensive option and why it's worth it. My main reason for shrinking down is that I'm a college student and I want my PC to be portable for when I take flights between home and college. I would definitely prefer that it can fit inside a carry-on luggage. Appreciate your help!

    submitted by /u/Capital_Tale1597
    [link] [comments]

    New build

    Posted: 02 Aug 2021 12:45 PM PDT

    Just purchased these parts to build.

    Ryzen7 5800x - $397 (52$ off)

    MSI GeForce 1660 Super - $280 (was a great deal for the card, I will upgrade when the card price frenzy ends or I find a decent deal not double msrp)

    MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI Gaming Motherboard - $199 (20$ off)

    Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4 2x 8gb CAS Latency 16 - 96$

    CORSAIR CX-F RGB Series CX750F RGB White 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Fully Modular ATX Power Supply - 99$ (15$ off)

    LIAN LI GALAHAD AIO 240 RGB WHITE, Dual 120mm Addressable RGB Fans AIO CPU Liquid Cooler -114$ (13$ off)

    LIAN LI LANCOOL II MESH RGB WHITE Tempered Glass ATX Case - White Color - LANCOOL II MESH RGB-W- 119$

    Westinghouse WM32DX9019 32" WQHD 2560 x 1440 2K Resolution 144Hz Widescreen Backlit LED Gaming Monitor 229$ (70$ off)

    SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 2280 250GB PCI-Express Gen 4.0 x4, NVMe 1.3c Samsung V-NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V8P250B/AM - 70$ (10$ off)

    Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM008 2TB 7200 RPM 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive Bare Drive - OEM 50$ (10$ off) 99.2

    Windows - 109$

    White Gaming keyboard and mouse combo, k1 LED Raonbow backlit keyboard 7 Color LED mouse -30$

    Total 1792$ + tax (with a 32" 2k monitor and keyboard/ mouse)
    I think I did good. Future proofed and room for upgrading.

    submitted by /u/ohyaa1
    [link] [comments]

    Display issues

    Posted: 02 Aug 2021 12:44 PM PDT

    Ok so I was playing a game while on a discord call, all of a sudden the screen goes black and the sound continues. A few seconds later the sound stops and I resort to turning the PC off and on, when I turn it on, I see the regular boot up screen for a split second (this is not abnormal tho because my PC loads pretty fast) and then after that I get this weird colored lines on my screen like this

    As time progresses more of these appear on the screen.

    Now this has already happened to me today and after a few reboots of the PC it just started working again, but now it's happened again so I wanna make sure everything is fine. I have done a monitor test and I do not believe it is the monitor.

    PC is also showing perfect signs of life, both the keyboard and the case follow the Icue lighting presets I have when it turns on

    EDIT: Changing the display port on my monitor and rebooting resolved the issue, I'd still like an answer though as this has already happened more than once

    submitted by /u/Minewell15
    [link] [comments]

    Desktop build for futures trading (low cost, first build, experimenting)

    Posted: 02 Aug 2021 12:42 PM PDT

    Hello everyone! I am basically building a computer for short term (1-2 minutes timeframes) trading futures markets with one screen only (but would like to be able to connect two anyway). It mainly needs to be handling trading software(s) (e.g. sierra charts : https://www.sierrachart.com/index.phppage=doc/SoftwareDownload.php#SystemRequirements) in live time with next to no lag/latency/bugs, etc. I will also use it for a couple other things like programming softwares, youtube, reddit, side project, etc. (no gaming).

    I am from Canada and looking to pay less than CAD 1k for this first build. (I tried to pick parts that were all from the same website.)

    I came up with 2-3 builds, one using i5-9600k and low cost motherboard, but currently 9600k are more expensive than 10600k. I created another using 10600k and z490 board also but in the end i'm not really sure i need to have the overclock component. So I finally built one with i5-10400 (upon deciding that whether I have a 10600 or 10400 shouldnt make much difference) with b560 motherboard. This is the build :

    https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/KQTKwz

    I would like to have thoughts/suggestions/etc. Thanks!

    Edit: P.S. I read the sidebar info on builds and artofpc guide on components and based my build on what I read there!

    submitted by /u/420dropout
    [link] [comments]

    Connecting all case fans a PWM splitter?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2021 12:31 PM PDT

    I've always just connected my case fans direct to the PSU, but in my quest to make the case more quiet I am looking into getting 2 Noctua NF-p14 redux 1200 rpm pwm fans for intake, and one for exhaust.

    Can I use a splitter from my SYS_FAN connection to control these fans? Will my mobo control them automatically immediatley, or is there some setting I have to change first?

    Or would I be better off using 3 Noctua NF-P14 redux 900 rpm fans and leaving them on the PSU?

    Mobo: Gigabyte Z170-XP CPU: i5-6600k Case: Corsair Air 540

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/The_Naked_Gun
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrade path question

    Posted: 02 Aug 2021 12:26 PM PDT

    Hi guys, looking for recommendations on an upgrade path for my current build which is a ryzen 5 1600, x370, GTX 1080, 16gb ram running at 1440p.

    Should i be looking at a 3600 to use with a bios update on my current board or would the performance gain be much better to go for a full 5th series cpu and board build?

    Gpu i'm looking to upgrade at some point to a 3000 series when I can find something closer to msrp

    submitted by /u/JSD_31
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone know of a good 240mm/280mm AIO for under $100?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2021 12:25 PM PDT

    I have $100 to spend and I want to make sure that I don't buy a piece of junk…

    submitted by /u/_Quaranteened
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment