• Breaking News

    Tuesday, July 27, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - July 27, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - July 27, 2021


    Simple Questions - July 27, 2021

    Posted: 27 Jul 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Are 1440p monitors worth the extra money? (Mainly for gaming & media)

    Posted: 27 Jul 2021 06:56 AM PDT

    I have a 3060 Ti and currently using a 1080p 60Hz monitor. Looking to upgrade to a 144Hz monitor but the price of a decent 1440p monitor here is almost double the price of a decent 1080p 144Hz monitor. Question is, is it worth it?

    Edit: I play esports mostly and a few AAA games a year.

    submitted by /u/LabuKapas
    [link] [comments]

    Nervous to build my PC, is that normal?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2021 06:05 PM PDT

    I've been watching tons of guides I'm just worried I'll mess up or something however I have found myself fully in love with PC gaming so I want to do it.

    Here is my build, incase your wondering. https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/xjpmsX

    submitted by /u/OnyxJuvie
    [link] [comments]

    Why do no cases or builders ever bother to do this?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2021 11:57 PM PDT

    Since I finished my first PC build in ages, I've been thinking of various little projects and things to do to improve it. One thing I've been displeased by is the way cables are brought out to connect to the GPU in basically all PCs (except the Mac Pro, which uses that super slick MPX connector that adds power and Thunderbolt).

    Having worked with plenty of industrial and automotive wiring in the past, I've learned that the proper way to route cables and wires from one side of a box to the other (or from one area of a case to another) is by using a grommet, gland, or panel-mount connector. I ordered some PCIE/GPU power extension leads, measured the hole in my case and modeled up and 3D printed a little plate that fits into the case and that the male ends of the extensions click into. I think this is a way more industrial/properly engineered way to get cables to components, and I'll be doing the same with the motherboard 24-pin soon I think! Is it necessary? Heck no. In fact it probably adds at least a tiny bit of resistance since there's an additional connector there, but voltage drop so far is within .01-.02 volts of what it was before the project. I just think it looks darn cool and I'd like to see more builders do wiring like this!

    (Also note the anti-sag bracket I made up using some aluminum bar stock to mount to the bracket EVGA includes but literally nobody knows what it's supposed to mount to lol)

    https://imgur.com/a/gTgTrvb

    submitted by /u/dr_egenius
    [link] [comments]

    No experience but I still did it !

    Posted: 27 Jul 2021 03:22 AM PDT

    I believe it's not that big of a deal to most of you , but I asked for a ram and a psu for my birthday . When it came to attaching them to my pc , I was discouraged by my friends and family in case I mess up ( I had zero experience prior to this ) . One night after an outing with my Friends I sat down at 4am and did it . I am so insanely proud of myself . And I think I went into this hole of needing to get more parts to build !

    submitted by /u/noandbody
    [link] [comments]

    Best Desktop Accessories/Gadgets

    Posted: 27 Jul 2021 12:27 PM PDT

    I have built a PC about 5-6 months ago and I am doing my first real desk setup with it in my new house in a couple weeks. I'm all set with components, monitors, and a mouse and keyboard. I'm curious what your favorite desk setup accessories are or favorite gadgets?

    submitted by /u/itsdharp
    [link] [comments]

    Too many motherboards!

    Posted: 27 Jul 2021 09:36 AM PDT

    My mobo is... old. Really old. Back when I built my pc eons ago I just kinda randomly chose one. I lucked out and it was a great one, for me, anyhow. Most things have beem upgraded since that time, including the power supply (cuz the old one broke lol), the ram, and the gpu.

    Now, I want to just get a new motherboard and a new hard drive and slap my old components in there. Expect the ram, because my old board is only ddr3 and I heard there's ddr4 now! Is it backwards compatible, like, can you use ddr3 alongside or instead of ddr4? Just curious.

    There's so many boards to choose from! I'm overwhelmed trying to compare them all. Does anyone know which motherboards now are most similar to my current one? It's an ASRock x79 Extreme4.

    Sorry if I seem out of touch, because I probably am.

    submitted by /u/Jersey-Cow-Pal
    [link] [comments]

    First Time Build, been collecting for years. Is everything good for the build or should I update?

    Posted: 27 Jul 2021 09:33 AM PDT

    This is my first build and I've been buying and storing pieces for years.

    I'm waiting on 2 more parts coming in the mail and I'm almost ready to build. Mostly I'm concerned for the motherboard, my parents bought it for me years ago and I just want to see if it will be adequate or if I should upgrade. Thanks for the help!

    CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor

    CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

    Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

    Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL19 Memory

    Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

    Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive

    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card

    Case: Corsair SPEC-OMEGA RGB ATX Mid Tower Case

    Monitor: LG 32GK850G-B 31.5" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor

    Power Supply: EVGA G3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

    Case Fan: Corsair LL120 43.25 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack

    submitted by /u/FeelingOkay0
    [link] [comments]

    Which graphics card is suitable for my Setup if a GTX 3080 / 3090 is unavailable?

    Posted: 27 Jul 2021 11:59 AM PDT

    Hello everyone

    I Upgraded my setup that did a good job the last 10 years, but now I needed some change. The only thing that is missing is a graphics card. I still use the old one because the one i wanted to get (GTX 3080) is just almost impossible to get by. But I dont have a big enough knowledge about all the different cards that are currently on the market to know if there is something that would fit to my setup just as well.

    now my current setup:

    • Power: ASUS ROG Thor 850P (850W)
    • Mainboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO
    • CPU: Intel Ten Core i9-10850K/3.60 GHz ME
    • RAM:Corsair DDR4 Vengeance RGB PRO 4x8 GB
    • SSD: Gigabyte Aorus RGB AIC (1000GB PCI-Express)
    • Current GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

    So which GPU would work instead of a GTX 3080 / 3090 ? or GPUs, i mean could possibly also work with 2 right? Im open for all ideas

    submitted by /u/Massive_Revolution95
    [link] [comments]

    Is this a decent budget PC?

    Posted: 27 Jul 2021 09:54 AM PDT

    I'm looking into buying a pc later this year when I'm done saving up and I've settled on this build but other people's feedback on it first.

    PC Build

    Purpose of the build: Was looking to at least be able to play valorant pretty well since most of my friends play it.

    Thank you in advance to anyone who gives feedback.

    submitted by /u/Drabbledabble
    [link] [comments]

    QUESTION: Do you like your 27 inch 1080p Monitor?

    Posted: 27 Jul 2021 01:12 PM PDT

    curious, if anyone has or had a 27 inch 1080p monitor, what was it like? I personally never had any issues with it, but I was wondering what other people think

    submitted by /u/NotAnder
    [link] [comments]

    How to mount 360mm aio to front of case?

    Posted: 27 Jul 2021 01:09 PM PDT

    Hi guys. I was wondering how to safely mount my new 360 mm AIO to the front of my PC case. I have shorter screws and longer screws, and I would like to have the fans showing at the front. My problem is that I can't seem to get the screws all the way in the right places and I'm afraid of damaging the cooler. What screws should I use to mount the radiator to the fans, so I can have the fans showing at the front. Do I screw the fans in first, or screw them into the rad first? I'm so confused and I don't want to damage it. I am using a corsair icue h150i elite capellix

    submitted by /u/mynti15
    [link] [comments]

    Good GPU Upgrade?

    Posted: 27 Jul 2021 12:54 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I do not know much about computer hardware so I am asking for some advice.

    I currently have a NVIDIA Geforce GTX 950 (2GB)
    I found a GPU in my budget - Palit GeForce GTX 1660 StormX 6GB around 250-290$
    I know it's an upgrade and it should be but is it small or a big upgrade? Any opinions on this GPU and are there any other alternatives in the same price range?

    I also noticed that Palit GPUs are relatively cheaper than other brands why is that?

    submitted by /u/AdvexiaLoL
    [link] [comments]

    No display

    Posted: 27 Jul 2021 12:50 PM PDT

    hi, I came back too my pc being on a frozen screen & I couldn't shut my pc off, so I had too force power it off by holding down the power button. Upon turning my pc back on I had no display but pc is visibly on, fans are spinning. I've also checked my hdmi cable and there's no problem on that end. any help? would be greatly appreciated

    submitted by /u/Outrageous-Employee7
    [link] [comments]

    Can I transfer a copy of windows with all files & settings from one pc to another?

    Posted: 27 Jul 2021 12:49 PM PDT

    So I have a PC that I am selling off, and I am going to build a new PC in its place.

    I want to be able to transfer my old copy of windows to the new PC, without losing any data/programs.

    What I originally had planned is to just take the drive with Windows installed on it, put it in the new PC, and then boot from that. But from what I have seen online, it isn't that easy. So, what's the best way to go about this? Do I need to get another windows key, and transfer a backup of the old pc to the new license? Is it possible at all?

    Old PC specs:

    • CPU: i7 7700k
    • GPU: GTX 970
    • 500GB SSD (this is the one with the copy of windows on it)
    • 2TB HDD
    • 16GB ram @ 2400mhz

    New PC specs:

    • CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
    • GPU: ????? (I haven't been able to get my hands on a new graphics card yet, so I haven't been able to assemble the new pc yet. But it will probably be a 3060 ti)
    • The old drive
    • 16gb of ram @ 3200mhz

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Ground_Uno
    [link] [comments]

    Do you consider building PC's your hobby?

    Posted: 27 Jul 2021 12:49 PM PDT

    I think for me building pc's, upgrading components, researching configs, overclocking them etc is actually my only life-long hobby (other than some sports, but well everyone do some kind of sports).

    submitted by /u/LockAlive
    [link] [comments]

    Question about Cooler Master AMD AM4 Ryzen Compatibility

    Posted: 27 Jul 2021 12:47 PM PDT

    I've been using an Intel i7 7700K and a Cooler Master Hyper 212X for almost 4 years and am now thinking about upgrading to an AMD Ryzen 5 5600X.

    Because of that, I went to check if my cooler could still be used for the new CPU, but came across this document about compatibility and an upgrade kit, but after reading it I'm still unsure about what should I do.

    Looking at the document all I saw were the cooler parts that are today installed in my mobo.

    Can I just uninstall my cooler from the old mobo and install into the new one with the AMD CPU? Or this "upgrade kit" is something that I need to buy separately and then do this? If so, is it worth doing so?

    submitted by /u/DehCaiu
    [link] [comments]

    Unable to install windows 10 on my new pc

    Posted: 27 Jul 2021 12:36 PM PDT

    My new pc config: Mobo: Asrock B450m steel legend Processor: AMD 5 3400G Ram: 2x8 gb 3200 mhz SSD: M.2 240 gb HDD: 1 tb

    I am trying to install windows 10 via usb. But when copying files it gets stuck saying "windows can not install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing.......... Error code 0x80070570. I also tried to install on HDD but same issue happens.

    I am stuck at this point. Please help.

    submitted by /u/M-Hasan
    [link] [comments]

    3200 MHz RAM only working as 2133 MHz

    Posted: 27 Jul 2021 12:31 PM PDT

    So yesterday I built a new gaming pc, and I got 3200mhz Corsair vengeance rgb pro RAM, but when I booted up my pc it only showed 2133mhz in the task manager. So I went into the bios and changed it to 3200mhz, but when I tried to boot back up my pc would turn on and off over and over again every time I tried to turn it on. So i unplugged my pc and plugged it back in and it turned on, but when I went into the bios and task manager, it has switched back to 2133mhz again. What do I do? I bought 3200mhz ram because I wanted the faster speeds and now I can't use it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

    Specs: Ryzen 5 1600 Corsair vengeance rgb pro Asrock b450m pro4-F

    submitted by /u/RowanDaBoi
    [link] [comments]

    Best budget pc case?

    Posted: 27 Jul 2021 12:29 PM PDT

    I was looking at the Lían Li LANCOOL 215 but it's £80 ($110) in the uk, any cheaper alternatives with good out of the box performance or is it worth buying this case?

    submitted by /u/pastaisverytasty
    [link] [comments]

    Build New pc. Looking for Cpu Coolers with heatsink and good fan. I have a i5-10400k 2.9GHz. It says online Noctua HD-15 Is compatible but it that over kill for this cpu? I’m thinking about upgrading to a i7-9700k 3.6 ghz once prices on gpus goes back to normal prices.

    Posted: 27 Jul 2021 12:26 PM PDT

    Laptop immediately shuts down when unplugged after swapping HDD with SSD

    Posted: 27 Jul 2021 12:25 PM PDT

    SOLVED: M.2 only supports up to 500GBs I got 1TB and am fucking stupid

    I've already tried booting from the old HDD, the same issue occurs. Whenever I then proceed to plug the laptop in again, it immediately boots up without me pressing anything. However, it cannot be turned on via the Power Button.

    I have an ASUS Vivobook X542UQ and installed a M.2 WD Sata SSD. When I was trying to unscrew the Laptop to install the SSD, I broke a screw socket and it opened without me unscrewing the screw, since it wasn't possible anymore. It was one of the screws near the battery, could that have been the issue?

    PS: When it is plugged in, it actually charges the battery, so I don't think it's broken.

    EDIT: I still have the HDD in there right now, should I take it out?

    submitted by /u/notK1ng
    [link] [comments]

    first time builder, will this pc be adequate?

    Posted: 27 Jul 2021 12:17 PM PDT

    I mainly will be using him for gaming, would like to play games like red dead redemption 2 decently.

    components:

    Motherboard: AORUS B550 ELITE V2, socket AM4

    Video card: GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2060 D6 6G

    Memory: Corsair 16 GB DDR4-2666

    Case: Fractal Design Core 2300

    Power Supply: Sharkoon SHP550 v2, 550 Watt

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X socket AM4 processor

    CPU Cooler: Scythe Kotetsu Mark II

    Storage: Samsung 870 EVO, 1 TB SSD

    Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 2 TB Hard drive

    submitted by /u/edric_storm98
    [link] [comments]

    Question about my M.2 NVME SSD

    Posted: 27 Jul 2021 09:55 AM PDT

    So i bought an M.2 NVME the WD Blue SN550 and i slotted it into my asus rog strix b250f mobo. But the disk manager, and bios isn't detecting the m.2. I still have the base bios update (0810) and haven't updated it. Will that enable any m.2 settings?

    submitted by /u/MattBur
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment