• Breaking News

    Wednesday, July 21, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - July 21, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - July 21, 2021


    Simple Questions - July 21, 2021

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Actual good wireless controllers for PC?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 04:07 AM PDT

    Search on Google has every listicle website from IGN to PC gaming to Tom's hardware call Xbox one controller as the best.

    While that was true for the 360, the lack of a wireless adaptor easily available means that the wireless depends heavily on your Bluetooth setup.

    A second search for Xbox controller Bluetooth leads to a whole slew of support pages on how bad and inconsistent the connectivity is.

    Due to the variety of PC setups, it seems that a wireless adaptor must be available to be bought that pairs well with the controller.

    Are there any good brands that do this?

    submitted by /u/delitomatoes
    [link] [comments]

    I did it! I found an Rtx 3080 reasonably close to msrp.

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 09:34 AM PDT

    Title. It was about $75 over msrp. It's a Zotac so I hope it's worthwhile. It comes Friday, so please have your fingers crossed it arrives in good condition! (I have had terrible experience with FedEx before). Just want to tell someone whom can appreciate the gravity of the situation!

    submitted by /u/BumTicklrs
    [link] [comments]

    First computer build in 13 years, I forgot how good the feeling is, or how big the headache it comes with

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 03:03 AM PDT

    My last custom PC build was 2008, after that I only used laptops. Only one day I realized my company laptop is too slow for me to be productive the way I like. It's new Surface Book 3 with 32GB RAM, but the CPU is heavily throttled, to the point it feels really sluggish to use, and hurts my productivity.

    I decided to build a computer myself, from ground up. Tried to buy piece and piece separately, when something in my short list went on sale.

    Finally got enough parts to put it up, and to my surprises, my computer turned on, the first try. I have been very happy with my PC (except for games as I am using the crappiest GPU I could find, the prices of decent ones are crazy)

    My lessons:

    • The thrills and excitement to build a PC is real. Especially when you find a part that is highly regarded at a good price, and put them together.
    • The flexibility is incredible. But that is where the headache comes, you will find one review says this is better, but another review says it is worse. Stick with a few trustworthy sources (pcpartpicker, this subreddit). You don't need to read every review to make up your mind (in fact, it's quite the opposite)
    • If you don't know how to start, go to pcpartpicker and choose a build with high votes up, then customize to fit your need.
    • Popular products are popular for a reason. If you find something tempting (from a glowing review by a not so popular site) but less well known, be skeptical - expect difficulty to get support if you run into problems.
    • It's easily to "well, what if I spend a bit more". Set your limit, and be content with it. You ain't gonna need it. More cores, faster SSD, etc. etc. will not matter much in the end.
    • There is no ending, the point of PC is that you can upgrade however you like, whenever you like. Be patient. If you don't have any problem except if it's newer/has better benchmark results, you do not need it. Things will always get better. Save your money and upgrade later, you will get more bang for your bucks.
    submitted by /u/shouldnotexist
    [link] [comments]

    One PC for 2 users or two PCs?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 12:45 PM PDT

    I'm planning to change our work laptops to PCs (we work with UX, using Photoshop, Adobe XD, and some rare cases even After Effects), also using one of them for VR games and/or both for some casual gaming.

    We have here two options: build one pc and create two virtual instances of Windows, linked to two keyboard/mouses and monitors, or build two pcs.

    The first option would be good to have only one PC to update when needed, and the overall cost may be lower because I'd buy one piece of most of the parts (instead of two processors of $200, I could get a better one for $360 with double the cores). For that, I would consider for example something like the Ryzen 5800x with a B550M or a Z motherboard, with 2 GPU TBD to be used in bypass mode on the virtualization, one for each instance.

    However, considering that DDR5 is around the corner, and most probably in 2-3 years, I'd have to change most of the parts of the PC to have it compatible, the advantage kinda goes away. I also want to consider getting a couple of cheaper motherboard + CPU sets on Aliexpress (they don't have the 5800x for example, so the difference in price would be bigger than local stores). For example, a Ryzen 3600x + B450 for each computer, I can get that with less than $300 each on Aliexpress.

    What do you think would be better to have?

    submitted by /u/leticiatm
    [link] [comments]

    Little brother stuck gum in my motherboards RAM slot, is it fixable?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2021 06:35 PM PDT

    Pretty much title. it's in all but one slot and I'm really scared it'll fry the rest of my pc. I can get it replaced, but would prefer to avoid that. Thanks!

    Edit: My parents are paying for a new motherboard so at least I don't have to buy a new one lol

    submitted by /u/ERROR_396
    [link] [comments]

    GTX 1650- 165Hz FullHD possible?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 04:50 AM PDT

    Just wanted to inquire whether anyone has tried to push a 165 Hz monitor (MSI Optix G27C4) at 165hz fullHD on a GTX 1650 and what cables would be required. Currently I'm not running at 165hz and I understand that I probably need a new cable to get that

    submitted by /u/MysticDelusion
    [link] [comments]

    Out of the market for a while, kinda scared to jump back in. Looking for some serious upgrades for my rig.

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 02:24 PM PDT

    Build Help/Ready:

    Have you read the sidebar and rules? (Please do)

    Yes

    What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better.

    Trying to achieve a gaming rig with some capacity for streaming/screen sharing/video recording. I'd like to be able to run RDR2 and Flight Sim at high/max performance. I'd like high performance and ability to stream older games like Minecraft and Dota. I also run online D&D games as well, so good video/voice call performance and snappy desktop/browser management is important.

    1080/1440 resolution; 60+ fps, higher if it's not prohibitively expensive, max settings for RDR2 and flight sim.

    I'd love to keep it < $1000, but going a bit over would be negotiable. I realize much of the price will be a modern GPU.

    I'm in the US

    What I have so far. I'd like to keep what I have if I can, but I am willing to replace what's needed.

    • GPU: GeForce RTX 20 series is what I have my eye on to build around now.
    • Motherboard (if needed): Gigabyte Z590-UD
    • CPU (if needed): i5 series? Need help here.

    Current Build:

    • GPU: GeForce GTX 570
    • CPU: AMD Fx-8350
    • Motherboard: ASUS M5A99FX
    • RAM: 16GB
    • PSU: 750watt corsair
    submitted by /u/rphillip
    [link] [comments]

    Wanting to update RAM, does it make sense in my case?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 09:45 AM PDT

    So I love playing sim games like Cities Skylines, Transport Fever 2, Oxygen Not Included, etc. I have 16 gb of ram, but i notice lags when I play on huge maps. So I was wondering if upping the ram could help me? I was checking out the available rams and omg are they cheap compared to what I had gotten mine for. I have two sticks of 8gb, ddr4 Corsair vengeance, 3000mhz. It is not available anymore - all I can see is 4000mhz one (an upgraded version of mine, I assume) & RGB one with 3200mhz. The RGB one is cheaper than the other one, but I am wondering if they would be compatible with my older 2 sticks? (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)

    submitted by /u/SabishiiFury
    [link] [comments]

    What happens if a freesync monitor has a lower fps than the GPU?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 02:10 PM PDT

    Hello. I'm about to buy a new 24" monitor and I'm undecided between three options.

    Two of them are cheaper 24" flat IPS monitors with FreeSync up to 75Hz.

    The third option is a 24" 1800R 144Hz monitor with Freesync too.

    My GPU is a 1650 Super and the heaviest game that I have is BL3 so the GPU can run at more FPS than 75Hz in some scenes.

    I don't use the PC just for gaming, I work on it.

    I also have a second 24" flat 60Hz IPS with no Freesync.

    And I wonder if I buy the 75Hz version I will get stuck at 75Hz top or what?

    I read in another post that AMD can show the same frame twice if the frame rate gets to low. What happens with Nvidia GPUs?

    submitted by /u/E_Blue_Reloaded
    [link] [comments]

    Full HD or 2k resoultion on 27 inch monitor?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 04:33 AM PDT

    Ryzen 5900x temperature spikes during low loads

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 10:34 AM PDT

    System
    CPU:Ryzen 5900x no overclock
    CPU cooler: Deepcool Assassin 3
    MB: Asus x570 dark hero

    I recently built a new pc and cpu temps looks weird to me.
    My idle temperature is 40c (25c ambient)
    When I start prime 95 (small FFT) on all 24 threads cpu quickly heats up to 60c degrees and then smoothly reach 65c stable temperature after a minute. Ryzen master reports cpu power usage 91w, PPT 82% of 142w, TDC 100% of 95A. (As far as I understand that is a great temperature so it seems that CPU cooler works properly)

    But when I start prime 95 (small FFT) on just single thread, my temperature instantly spikes to 86c degrees and stays there. CPU power usage is 41w, PPT 47% of 142w, TDC 33% of 95A.
    So CPU is 21c degree hotter despite using less than half of power.
    Temperature is even worse when I use 2-7 threads, but at 8 threads temperature decreases to 81c and improves a little with each added thread.

    So I have two questions:
    Is it normal that CPU generates much more heat when it uses just 1-7 threads vs 8-24 threads?

    Why it hits 86c in just two seconds and stays there? I mean shouldn't it rise more smoothly (like when i'm using all 24 threads), Steve from gamers nexus tested that cooler and it should take 80s+ to reach steady state (video ), but my hits max temp instantly when at low thread count.

    submitted by /u/Fathyron
    [link] [comments]

    Cheapest way to 1080p gaming. Used GPU or AMD CPU with integrated graphics?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 01:04 PM PDT

    Hey my nephew (13) wants to upgrade his PC to 1080p 60hz gaming as cheap as possible.

    He will need a mainboard, ram, cpu and maybe a gpu.

    At the moment I'm looking for used GTX 970s.

    Do you think this is the right way or should I look for something else?

    Would a ryzen 5 3400g or ryzen 5 3200g be enough?

    submitted by /u/Ko__e
    [link] [comments]

    Computer won't turn on

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 08:48 AM PDT

    I built a new computer about 2 weeks ago. It worked fine and I didn't ran into any problems. Today, it stoped working. I checked on google to see if I could find any reasons. I also did the things it suggested to me in order to repair the problem (check if the power button is on, try to find any disconnected cable, reassemble the computer, plug it directly to the wall and so on). I couldn't find any answers. My mouse and me keyboard both turn on while plugged in my computer which means it has to be a hardware issue, so my first guess was a power supply failure, but after plugging my older one, nothing changed. Both power supplies are capable of running my system without any problem. What could be the problem?

    Edit: so I unplugged my cellphone from my power bar and my computer now turns on. My guess is it was stealing some jus from my computer. The thing is, after a minute, it shut down and doesn't turn back on again, I plugged my computer directly in the wall whiteout my cellphone on the power bar and I can sort of turn on my build. If I replugg my phone, the cumputer won't turn on. It's also stuck in an endless on and off routine.

    second edit: it doesn't turn on anymore.....

    submitted by /u/IronykYT
    [link] [comments]

    First time building a PC! Looking for opinions on the specs

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 09:45 AM PDT

    So, i've been researching prices and quality of different components in the last few weeks (had no knowledge whatsoever about PCs) and used pc part picker to pick my hopefully future PC.

    Can you please tell me if this build is good for 1080p AAA gaming and if the price is somewhat decent (1279 euros)?

    The specs are:

    CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor

    Motherboard - MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4

    RAM - G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16

    Storage - Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 SSD

    GPU - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB GAMING X

    Case - MSI MAG FORGE 100R ATX Mid Tower

    PSU - SeaSonic CORE GM 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX

    submitted by /u/VainCrawford
    [link] [comments]

    Should I get 32 GB of 3000 Mhz or 16 GB of 4400 Mhz

    Posted: 20 Jul 2021 11:59 PM PDT

    Should I try the Lian Li II Mesh for my 3080 FE? Currently using the Meshify C

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 12:18 PM PDT

    I currently use a Meshify C and my RTX 3080 FE can get a bit hot at times. I want to try and cool it down without the need to undervolt and I saw that the Lian Li II Mesh has two spots for 120mm fans on the bottom which I thought might be good.

    My current setup for my Meshify C is two 140mm fans at the front as intake and one 120mm fan at the rear as exhaust. Front intake fans are at a constant 45% fan speed. I see my 3080 hit 80 sometimes and hit 82 when running benchmarks. It is hot where I live atm though. I saw the Lian Li II Mesh also gets good ratings and with the two fan slots at the bottom it might be a good way to cool the GPU.

    Any help would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/MrFarticus
    [link] [comments]

    Low FPS on good spec pc. RTX 3080, i7 11700k, 16gb 3200mhz ram. Looking for ideas.

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 08:28 AM PDT

    So I just bought a pre built due to the graphics card shortages. It's my first gaming pc so I'm no expert, but I know something is wrong. My buddy also got a pre built with a 3070 and a Ryzen 5 5600x and he's getting better performance than me.

    On valorant I'm getting 300-400 in the range but in game I'm averaging between 160-220. While my friend is getting 900 in the range and 400-500 in game. We are both on 1080p 240hz. We have the exact same monitor

    Same with warzone, I'm getting 130-150 while he's getting 160-190.

    I was getting between 20-40% CPU and GPU usage while playing valorant, so I don't think there's a bottleneck.

    I've tried reinstalling the graphics card drivers multiple times. I'm certain they're up to date with the latest GeForce experience ones. I have no overclocks running except for XMP enabled in the bios. We're running the exact same in game settings.

    I've performed a userbenchmark and also used msi kombustor and my scores seem fine and normal compared to other people who also have a 3080.

    Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks guys.

    submitted by /u/Brayden133
    [link] [comments]

    2021 upgrade for gaming and ML/programming -- final advice wanted

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 02:21 PM PDT

    Hey r/buildmeapc!

    I'm upgrading my old system (built in 2016) but haven't really kept up with the pc components market much since then, the goal budget is to be around £500.

    This post is pretty much to ask opinions on the build, and if there is any advice before I pull the trigger on buying it all.

    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Kcys2V

    I will be bringing over my GPU (GTX 970), PSU, and hard drives to help lower the cost a bit hence why they are not on the parts list, at least until the GPU market cools down a bit.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/procrastinatorluke
    [link] [comments]

    Is it worth downgrading CPU for a better GPU

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 07:24 AM PDT

    A few months back I built my first PC. I chose i9-9900k as CPU and gtx 1660 super as GPU. I'm aware I spent too much on the processor which I guess it caused me choosing a lower-end graphics card.

    I was thinking of maybe downgrading the CPU to a precious generation or different model like i7 or even i5. My local store lets me return the current CPU and replace it. With the extra money I could get a better GPU like a 2060 or 2070. However, I guess this would increase the bottleneck. What should I do?

    submitted by /u/al3x_7788
    [link] [comments]

    Finalizing my first pc build. Opinions would be highly appreciated!

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 11:54 AM PDT

    Okay so I am going to build my first ever pc.... Well thats if the gpu market goes half decent. Following are the specs I have chosen. Any suggestions/opinions would be very much appreciated:

    GPU: 2060 super or 2060 whichever is available.

    CPU: I5 11400F

    Motherboard: Asus Tuf B560m

    CPU cooler: Deepcool Gammax GT rgb

    Ram: 2x 8gb 3200 mhz Gigabyte Aorus ram

    Storage: PNY CS3030 250GB M.2 NVMe SSD Seagate Internal 1TB SATA Barracuda HDD

    PSU: corsair tx650m 80+ gold semi modular psu with 7 years of warranty.

    Casing: dlm21 mesh case.

    Casing fans: 3 intake infront, and a exhaust in back.

    Monitor: MSI Optix G242 24' 144hz IPS monitor

    That's all. Do let me know if I could do something better. Thanks to everyone in advance.

    Edit: Didn't give in pc parts picker because the prices are quite.. what can I say.. weird here. So thats that.

    Edit 2: Since some people wanted , https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PW2tht

    submitted by /u/ZAIDAN791
    [link] [comments]

    System seems to be massively underperforming

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 01:37 PM PDT

    After watching a benchmarking video playing the same game, same resolutions and settings (Escape from Tarkov) with slightly worse specs - they used a 3070, i have a 3070ti and 32gb 3600 mhz ram instead of 16, and i am getting less than 70% the performance he is. Only thing that i notice to be odd is my cpu is 60-70 degrees celsius running only chrome. Am i paranoid or is my pc flat underperforming. To find the root of this, what should i do? Benchmark with proper software? Re apply my cpu cooler? I really need help and I am quite new to all this, especially since I am not seeing much improvement from my 4 year old pile of crap pc.

    for extra info my specs are
    ryzen 7 5800x
    Deepcool AS 500 PLUS
    msi suprim x rtx 3070 ti
    corsair vengeance 32gb 3600 mhz
    WD Black m.2 Nvme SSD
    Corsair 850W PSU
    Msi mpg x570 gaming edge wifi mobo
    6xLL120 fans in my 465x case.

    submitted by /u/Dystyikesies
    [link] [comments]

    A friend helped me grab a 3070ti but I can't get it to work. Some help please?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 09:42 AM PDT

    I've got an MSI mpg z390 gaming edge ac motherboard. An EVGA 750 watt psu. The card is a Zotac Trinity.

    submitted by /u/SearMeteor
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a difference between a 7nm and a 14nm?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 02:26 AM PDT

    Considering the 11400F over the 5 5600x because of the BIOS update issue, but there is the 14nm and 7nm difference, so does it matter if it's 14 or 7nm?

    submitted by /u/pineybtw
    [link] [comments]

    Left side of graphics card won't go in

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 01:21 PM PDT

    Pretty much title, this is my first build and I've been trying to insert the graphics card into the pci slot and it won't budge, the right side seems to go in fine but that little notch on the left by the brackets won't go it, it looks to be lined up with the notch so I can't tell why it won't go in, any ideas?

    submitted by /u/isaiah7890478904
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment