• Breaking News

    Thursday, July 8, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - July 08, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - July 08, 2021


    Simple Questions - July 08, 2021

    Posted: 08 Jul 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I Raise Your Wrong HDMI Port for 4 Years with a Bad PSU for 7 years...

    Posted: 08 Jul 2021 01:31 PM PDT

    Yesterday I found an issue that has been haunting me for 7 years. Back in 2014 I built a new workstation for gaming/photo editing. It was a i7-4790K/ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S in all white with custom cables.

    So... I've been sleeving my own PC cables since the 90's and never run into an issue. However in this build (I'm guessing) my custom cables for the AX760i had a bad connection somewhere and damages the PSU. I came to this conclusion because I used the PSU for about a year with no issues. Swapped it into this new build with the custom cables and at first had no issues.

    After a month or so I'd start getting random reboots and blue screens under load. I thought it was overclocking settings... figured it was the motherboard... went through several motherboards, CPUs, RAM... went through several new builds all the way through Intel 9th Gen with this same PSU and custom cables.... every once in a while I would see small stability issues here and there.

    Yesterday I built a "new" i5-9600K/Z370 and it would get through the Windows installation without issue but was randomly blue screening just opening a browser or blue screening right when it got to the login screen.

    Sitting there after the 100th blue screen I turned slowly and looked right at the custom cables and said to myself... son of bitch. This is the probably the first time in 7 years I replaced every piece of hardware at once with exception of the PSU.

    Swapped the PSU for an old AX650 I had in the closet and not only have I not had a crash... but this is the smoothest my PC has ever felt.

    Who doesn't check the PSU through 7 years of random stability issues? Me. That's who.

    submitted by /u/techmattr
    [link] [comments]

    How much cores do I need for editing, streaming and gaming?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2021 05:58 AM PDT

    Does a i9 10850k cpu have an integrated graphics card? So I can make sure everythings running good until I find a GPU?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2021 01:47 PM PDT

    Finished my buddies build. It's Mr. Freeze on a budget!

    Posted: 08 Jul 2021 01:20 PM PDT

    Built a computer for my buddy. He had a budget of $800. Luckily for him, I had a few favors to cash in and a some parts laying around. So I was able to piece this together despite the GPU/CPU famine.

    I asked him what theme he wanted. He said "make it look like Mr. Freeze would use it". He said jokingly cause the old Batman was playing on the TV, but I thought "why not". lol.

    She ain't the most powerful, but he's not much of a gamer. So it only needs to run CSGO, Siege, and music production/recording programs

    Part List

    Pictures

    submitted by /u/PrinterStand
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone with b550-I strix using the new 2404 bios?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2021 11:58 AM PDT

    I am building my new PC and and trying to decide whether to flash bios version 2403 (latest full release) or version 2404 (beta).

    Has anyone tried the beta one? Or should I stick with 2403?

    Support site with bios

    submitted by /u/SilentAssaultX
    [link] [comments]

    Cost of a PC

    Posted: 08 Jul 2021 07:20 AM PDT

    Hi anyone reading this, firstly I must admit I'm new to PC lingo so please bear with me. I'm thinking of getting into PC gaming but have 0 idea on what sort of price I'm looking at. The main games I would play are Tarkov, Dayz, Squad, DCS and insurgency. I hope to play these games with good FPS and graphics. Could anyone comment a link for a cheap but reliable website for prebuilt PC's or just give me some knowledge on about possibly building a PC. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Thank you :)

    submitted by /u/MunchMealDeal
    [link] [comments]

    ASROCK B550M-Pro4 or GIGABYTE B450 AORUS PRO WIFI !!

    Posted: 08 Jul 2021 01:42 PM PDT

    which one is better !! using a ryzen 5 3600, gtx 1660 and 16gb 3200mhz

    submitted by /u/Taekookieee
    [link] [comments]

    PSU quality

    Posted: 08 Jul 2021 01:33 PM PDT

    Hey guys, I am wondering if anyone can find any reviews or have their own opinion on this PSU. FSP Hydro Pro 800w Bronze https://www.fsplifestyle.com/PROP20b005129/ I can't find very much on it.

    submitted by /u/Shadowbandit101
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone explain RGB fans to me?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2021 11:02 AM PDT

    I've never really worked with them before. I know that you need a fan hub and lighting hub in order to get them to work correctly, but do fan packs come with those? Or do they need to be bought separately?

    submitted by /u/ERiFNOECi
    [link] [comments]

    PCI-E ssd m.2 adaptor

    Posted: 08 Jul 2021 10:07 AM PDT

    Long story short, I would like to buy a second ssd for my PC, but I have to use a PCI-E x1 adapter (not really caring about the low speed)

    The problem is I have a bulky GPU that almost covers the PCI-E x1 port, If I use these common PCI-E to ssd adapter they usually keep the m.2 connector at the bottom when placed at the mobo. Which would almost touch the GPU backplate and heat as hell.

    Is there any adaptor that keep the m.2 connector at the top? The only solution I could find is using a PCI-E extension cable. But I don't want anything hanging loose in my PC and it would be extremely ugly like these IDE flat cables from 90s

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/user01989
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for advise on building an MMO machine (budget £1200)

    Posted: 08 Jul 2021 01:06 PM PDT

    I'm looking to build a new PC to primarily play MMOs in 1440p (FFXIV), but also random single player releases and as a work station, handling lots of excel. I'm most interested in making a decent gaming machine vs the other concerns.

    What CPU/Card setups would you reccomend for MMOs? I know CPU power is more important, but I don't know the best combo to get the best bang for my buck.

    I've also already got an SSD with windows installed that I'd like to keep. Will I need to check the compatibility between my current SSD and the motherboard, or do all SSDs go with all motherboards? My SSD is the ct500mx500ssd1.

    Thanks for any advice you have!

    submitted by /u/Screen_Watcher
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrading CPU?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2021 11:50 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I build a custom pc last year with an 9 th gen I7 9700k with socket LGA 1151 and a MSI z390 (socket LGA 1151) gaming plus motherboard.

    I was wondering if I could swap the I7 9700k for a I9 9900k without any issues. If yes, what type of cooler do you guys recommend. I prefer air cooling over water cooling.

    Thanks 😊

    submitted by /u/comments247
    [link] [comments]

    does anyone have the purple ultimate seat cushion and can say if its worth it?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2021 10:31 AM PDT

    I got a brand new steelcase gesture 2 weeks ago but the padding is worse then my old chair it feels like im sitting on rocks after an hour

    anyone got that purple seat cushion thing and can say if its comfortable?

    submitted by /u/Takzuke
    [link] [comments]

    How am I supposed to power my GPU???

    Posted: 08 Jul 2021 12:01 PM PDT

    Hi there - I am building my new PC, but I feel like I am missing a cable. I have an MSI 3080 ti Suprim X that needs a 24-pin power cable, but I do not believe I have one.

    Picture of cables: https://imgur.com/a/oR5n15K

    Only thing I have plugged in is the EPS cable. The 24-pin goes to the MoBo.

    What do I do?

    submitted by /u/NickolaiHC
    [link] [comments]

    Will any SSD work in my motherboard?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2021 12:00 PM PDT

    So I have an old prebuilt that I added a gpu to. (HP compaq pro 6300) and decided to get a new case/psu/mobo. I know that I have an ssd, but I am unsure if it will work. The motherboard I am getting is a gigabyte ga-b75m-d3h micro atx lga1155 motherboard.

    All I know is that in task manger it says it is a kingfast ssd.

    submitted by /u/TotalyaYoutuber1
    [link] [comments]

    Are RTX 3xxx's being faked?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2021 09:35 AM PDT

    I'm receiving my 3070 Ti from Amazon (via a seller by the name of DealsPro1) today and the more I've been lurking the more uneasy I get.

    Is it a 'thing' to fake RTX 30xx GPUs? Is CPU-Z still a good way to check this?

    Is there a way to check the hard physically before installation to determine if it is genuine?

    This is a whole lotta money so I want to be assured that I got the genuine thing. Especially in todays scalper/scammer society.

    Sorry if this is a dumb question...quick Google didn't really put my mind at ease.

    submitted by /u/FstLaneUkraine
    [link] [comments]

    PC won't boot.

    Posted: 08 Jul 2021 01:18 PM PDT

    Hey reddit could you please help me? Today I built my first PC and when I give it power by switching on the PSU the motherboard lights up. But then if I press the power button it doesn't boot nor do anything.

    Can you please help me find out what is the issue? Could it be some defective part? And when I turn on the PSU shouldn't also the other parts like ram and GPU light up like the motherboard does?

    submitted by /u/Ren1k_
    [link] [comments]

    Your favourite monitors and keyboards? (I need guidance please!)

    Posted: 08 Jul 2021 12:57 PM PDT

    Hey there I am like an 90 year old granny when it comes to understanding whats best for pcs and am looking for some guidance please!

    I am wanting to buy a new monitor and keyboard for my pc because mine are over 10 years old and dying and are beginning to be difficult to make art on because the contrast has changed between all my monitors i dont know what is the correct thing to work on anymore :( my art is becoming all wonky and too dark for the rest of the world, because of such a stark change in my monitors. (it wasnt always like this and i have no idea what to do other than buy new monitors now)

    I am a digital artist and work predominantly in photoshop/art programs. I am also a 3D artist so I work in autodesk maya. I dunno if this is necessary info, but also I dont really do a whole ton of gaming on my pc. (like maybe the sims and a few steam games)

    So at my work we use this monitor:

    - HP Business Z27 2TB68A8 27 inches 4K UHD LED LCD (3840 x 2160) Monitor Black Pearl

    These are beautiful monitors (even though they are HP and I have an age old vendetta against that brand) and I see they are like 800$. I would like 3 of them because I'm excessive and once you go three monitors, its so hard to go back to 1 or 2... I've been spoiled.

    I would love anything similar to this type of monitor- I really like the thin boarder and how the monitor sits on a stand that you can raise up and down and left and right very easily.

    does anyone know of a cheaper monitor that can still achieve these things?

    I really dont want to go around spending more than $200 per monitor but if i have to, i'll maybe consider $300.

    I know this is gonna limit my options, but thats why I'm asking here, because I'm bumbling around the stores online pretending like I know something about monitors and I just need some guidance before I start hashing out big funds for a monitor i've never been able to try before.

    and for the keyboard at work, we use

    - dell wired kb522

    I really love these keys on the keyboard, they are kinda soft and flat? but not too flat? Well its comfortable. and I can't stand hard heavy clicks. I wouldn't mind a fancy light up feature so long as I'm able to turn it completely off. bonus points if it can also duel as a gaming keyboard for that distant dream of mine, of one day enjoying pc games like the rest of the world does.

    I see this keyboard is like 30 bucks, which is totally fine! but I am actually willing to spend more on a GOOD keyboard, so long as it has these softish/flat keys feature. Does anyone know of a better keyboard like this?

    thank you for your time~ :)

    submitted by /u/aaawhyme
    [link] [comments]

    M2 Sata Drive Stopped showing up in Bios/Windows

    Posted: 08 Jul 2021 12:51 PM PDT

    Hey - had some issues with my PC this morning while booting (my boot drive was not showing up correctly either so I couldn't boot) but i unplugged all the drives and plugged t hem back in but i didn't touch my M2 drive.

    That fixed + repair tool dealt with my boot issue but now that drive is not showing up in Bios or Windows drive manager. I tried taking it out from the M2 slot and inspecting it and it looks fine, no damaged pins or anything.

    My question is - is it safe to assume that the drive just died to is there a way for me to test if the port/my mobo is the issue

    My drive > WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, M.2 2280, Up to 560 MB/s - WDS500G2B0B

    Mobo > ASUS Z170-A LGA1151

    submitted by /u/Vicboy129
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to upgrade my graphics card.

    Posted: 08 Jul 2021 09:02 AM PDT

    CPU

    AMD Ryzen 5 3600 

    Motherboard

    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING (AM4) 

    Graphics

    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti (EVGA) 

    Power Supply

    Corsair 600W

    My graphics card is great and I think I got a great price on it but I'm looking to upgrade to something more powerful that's less than 1,000$. I am willing to upgrade my power supply with it.

    submitted by /u/YTDiamondSteve201
    [link] [comments]

    Rate my PCpartPicker and discuss if i need to change something else

    Posted: 08 Jul 2021 05:59 AM PDT

    Hi . I wanna build my first PC ( and i don't wanna wait for GPUs prices sorry i am that kinda idiot) . This is my (for now) PCpartpicker ..rate it and /or change something that is better ( and please tell me why is better ). I am from SLovakia so don't look that much on amazon prices we got Euro and we don't have amazon ( or i think idk :D ) Thanks. .... https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4gtmsX ...........................................* Edit 1 : thanks everybody for recommenadtion. Ofcrs PC will be for playing games ( from Valorant to Tomb rider ) Yes it is Alza shop and i don't know if i want to play ( even if its nice) more then 1080p . I wanted nvme m2 for minimize cables and one is not 500gb but 250 for OS and 1tb for games. I picked from comments asus tuf motherboard and that arctic freezer

    submitted by /u/LanyBejby
    [link] [comments]

    I have a few questions cus I'm gonna build my first PC

    Posted: 08 Jul 2021 02:42 PM PDT

    Firstly, I'll be getting a patriot viper steel series 16gb 3200mhz. Is it good RAM that will be compatible with ryzen 5 1600 and b450 tomohawk pro?

    Speaking of tomohawk pro, is it a good match for the phanteks P360a DRGB? I'm paranoid that it the motherboard wont fit in the case.

    Secondly, do you guys recommend any 400-500 w power supplies. I heard cheap ones can fry your computer although I am on a budget. Semi and full modular I will accept.

    I wanna buy a 1tb crucial mx500 but everyones using the samsung 970s and 980s but they are a little expensive. Should I seriously pay the extra amount or no?

    Lastly, what PC building step-by-step tutorial do you guys reccomend? I will be thankful for any information

    submitted by /u/NutSupplier420
    [link] [comments]

    Can't control LL120 fan speeds?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2021 02:34 PM PDT

    So my friend purchased 6 LL120's for his new build, installed it all with the lighting node pro and the weird adapter. He hooked it all up to the ports, and he can control RGB etc. But, after hours we couldn't find how to turn the fan speed down, they're very loud. Apparently you need a Commander Pro, which I find a bit stupid because you have to pay an extra £40 just to control speed. Surely it already comes with something? Did we do something wrong? Or is this just a sort of scam?

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/codingboi100
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment