• Breaking News

    Sunday, June 27, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - June 27, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - June 27, 2021


    Simple Questions - June 27, 2021

    Posted: 27 Jun 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Buildapc is building a PC Live on Twitch, Now!

    Posted: 27 Jun 2021 01:09 PM PDT

    We're streaming a mini ITX PC build over on our Twitch Channel Now!

    It'll be a great opportunity to chat, learn or just hang out. There will be very knowledegable community members and mods on hand to answer questions as we go. So please do drop in and see what's up!

    submitted by /u/OolonCaluphid
    [link] [comments]

    What do you consider a "high end" GPU?

    Posted: 26 Jun 2021 10:29 PM PDT

    This stems from an argument a friend and I had earlier about the GPU market. I finally managed to get a 3060 Ti for my system and made a comment saying it was nice to finally have a high end GPU in my system since in the past I've usually been stuck with low end cards like GTX 1050, 1650, etc.

    He kind of laughed and told me 3060 Ti is midrange at best and he only considers at this point a 3080 Ti and 6800xt or higher to be high end and everything else is mid to low. He's a bit of the "competitive" type who will try to one up people in that way, put down something that you're happy about, etc.

    Anyway not that it matters if my card is "high end" or not but it got me thinking about what people actually consider the high end market and after how long do cards start to shift down in tier? For example something like a GTX 1080 would've surely been considered high end a few years ago but nowadays I would consider mid range and I would consider something like a 1060 or 1050 Ti to be on the low end at this point.

    submitted by /u/SendThemIn715
    [link] [comments]

    128GB Ram not being utilised by Win10

    Posted: 27 Jun 2021 01:15 AM PDT

    Hi guys,

    Recently built a new pc:

    3950x3090128gb ram 3600mhz2x 2TB 980 Pro

    I have noticed the RAM on task manager just never goes above 22gb

    and as soon as it gets to 21gb - it starts to basically freeze like crazy to the point where the whole system is completely unresponsive.

    I have tried to mess around with the page file size but cant seem to figure out the correct settings, anyone have any ideas to unlock this ram for my system to use?

    Thanks heaps :)

    UPDATE:

    I HAVE FIXED THIS

    I ended up resetting my bios.
    Turns out the Ryzen 5950x coupled with G.Skill 4000Mhz 128GB Ram kit struggles to run @ 4k mhz

    So I am running the RAM @ 2666mhz

    Stress tested it on chrome - Running 300+ tabs & 4 4k youtube videos + 2 8k videos

    Ram usage pushed up towards 45-48GB - Chrome still buttery smoothe switching between tabs/typing/clicking etc.

    Thank you all for your inputs :)

    Peace!

    submitted by /u/lexuspod
    [link] [comments]

    RAM Density

    Posted: 27 Jun 2021 04:11 AM PDT

    I just watched linus tech tips informing about the low density rams provide more fps to your games so i would like to know if there is a fool proof way of confirming ram density? It seems that most manufacturer's website (just Crucial only provided information) do not provide this information.

    Thanks in advance, below was the link of Linus' youtube vid:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7CO9v9rpOk

    submitted by /u/rockingcreation
    [link] [comments]

    VR Build

    Posted: 27 Jun 2021 12:08 PM PDT

    So I went from minor upgrades to a completely new PC 🙄. Here's what I'm currently rocking; I'm using it primarily to run Valve Index VR.

    Old setup: I7 4790k @ 4.4ghz ASRock Z97 Extreme pro4 Evga gtx 1070 8gb 16gb @1866 ram M.2 SSD Multiple SSDs, HDD

    And I just purchased these…

    New setup: I7 10700k (not sure what I'll finally clock it too, same for below) Gigabyte Z490 Vision G RTX 3070 ti EVGA FTW3 8gb 32gb Corsair ram @3200 850w 80gold plus PSU M.2 4.0 SSD

    Was hoping for any insight before I put everything together. Any major shortfalls/mistakes?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/carsandrx
    [link] [comments]

    Follow up post - I successfully salvaged this monitor panel from an old iMac

    Posted: 27 Jun 2021 01:55 PM PDT

    I posted here a long time back asking if it was possible in any way to salvage the monitor panel out of my old 2008 iMac, to use it with my PC.

    Turns out it is possible, using something called a Controller Driver Board.

    Here it is, looking extremely ugly, hooked up to my Windows 10 PC as a second monitor. Realistically I'll probably use it as a screen for a raspberry pi or something. But mainly I just wanted to see if I could get it working.

    Posting this here as a follow up, in case of interest to anyone who may also want to salvage a display screen from an iMac or other old or broken devices. And also posting because i'm proud of getting this to work!

    u/Tsukino_Stareine & u/thepotatoking96, turns out this can be done :-)

    submitted by /u/kagoolx
    [link] [comments]

    400W PSU 80+ CERT. enough for RTX 3060 with I7 8700?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2021 09:47 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I am looking to upgrade my GTX 1060 3GB to an RTX 3060 in the future. I have an I7 8700 with a 400W EVGA power supply. Will this be enough or will I need a new power supply? If I do, what other alternative upgrade can I make that best fits my PSU?

    PSU Link: https://www.newegg.ca/evga-400-n1-100-n1-0400-l1-400w/p/N82E16817438038?Item=N82E16817438038&nm_mc=AFC-RAN-CAN&cm_mmc=AFC-RAN-CAN&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-PCPartPicker&AFFID=2558510&AFFNAME=PCPartPicker&ACRID=1&ASID=https%3a%2f%2fca.pcpartpicker.com%2fproduct%2f86M323%2fevga-power-supply-100n10400l1&ranMID=44589&ranEAID=2558510&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-axRdXTGBBBHljsn7zXtcbg

    Thanks for your help!

    Edit: I will look into getting a new power supply and go for a 3060ti. Thanks for your help everyone!

    submitted by /u/MegaMan0429
    [link] [comments]

    Capture Card in first slot. GPU with a riser cable in second slot.

    Posted: 27 Jun 2021 02:03 PM PDT

    I am about to upgrade and I'm looking to get a vertical GPU mount in my Phanteks Enthoo 719. My question is if I put my capture card in my first slot, will it downgrade the second slot from x16 even if the capture card isn't using all 16 lanes?

    submitted by /u/DaveKerk
    [link] [comments]

    Ever since restarting pc I cant connect to WIFI or Ethernet?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2021 01:16 PM PDT

    All that was done before the restart was uninstalling ffixv and no ping, tried different ethernet cables, resetting and disabling wifi, reinstalling wifi/eth drivers, network reset, changing WLAN settings, going into command prompt and resetting ipv4/ipv6.. any reccommendations?

    submitted by /u/Sonoftheluster
    [link] [comments]

    looking for advice on first pc build

    Posted: 27 Jun 2021 02:23 PM PDT

    the pc build

    hey guys!! I'm trying to pick out pc parts for a build I'm trying to save money on and I'm looking for advice about what parts I should change or pc parts that are more affordable with similar performance/look.

    I'm building a pc with a white theme. It'll mostly be used for games including but not limited to: genshin impact, minecraft, stardew valley, and a bunch of mmorpgs and fps probably. I will also be using it for school stuff. (not gonna lie I only decided to build a pc because I wanted to play genshin on pc lol)

    that's pretty much it! I'm new to pc building so I might be doing too much or too less. if u have questions, let me know! :D

    submitted by /u/hxruday
    [link] [comments]

    New to pcs and looking for some help

    Posted: 27 Jun 2021 02:17 PM PDT

    Im 15 and i recently got my first job and ive always wanted to build a pc and i can now and my budget is 2500 to 3000, im a editor and I want to be able to game at 240 fps and be able to render fasts and have 2 to 3 monitors and possibly stream in the future. I got some help putting a part list together. If anyone can look it over and give me some feedback and advice id greatly appreciate it!

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/syTmsX

    submitted by /u/Klonpie
    [link] [comments]

    What processor should I buy with an RTX 3080?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2021 01:57 PM PDT

    I'm planning to buy a new monitor, what would you recommend? Budget: £100-£150, to start learn photo editing/coding.

    Posted: 27 Jun 2021 01:57 PM PDT

    So, I would say my budget is about £100(preferably)-£150. I would like to start learn photo editing, web developing, I'm not a gamer, so I would use it mostly for as above plus watching movies, surfing on the internet ect. Vesa mount and HDMI (but I guess its a basic anyway) is an advantage. What would you recommend? I will use it with a Huawei Matebook 13 if thats metter.

    submitted by /u/folyamieti
    [link] [comments]

    I have a very odd situation and I need help

    Posted: 27 Jun 2021 04:14 AM PDT

    A week ago I just plugged my PC to the power outlet and a surge happened, which fried my MoBo, RAM, CPU and lastly the worst one of all GPU. (I tested all the parts with a test rig at a PC shop) The specs were: Msi B350 tomahawk 16 GB 2600 Hz HyperX Ryzen 5 1600 MSI GTX 1060 3G

    My M.2 still lives along with all the HDDs and SSDs and one of the Ram sticks.

    The PSU is the only shit that got out with all of this and it is what caused the damage.

    It is an unbranded PSU... with 450 Watts. (Ik pls don't, I had it for 3 years and no problems at all)

    I had already decided that I was gonna upgrade the GPU alongside the PSU a few months ago but with all these prices I just had to wait.. I wanted a 3060ti that would last me 4 years with me upgrading the MoBo and CPU next year but Ig it didn't workout like that...

    So my current plan is to get a B450 tomahawk max, 16GB 3600 Ram, a PSU rated atleast gold that I will go cheap on and I talked with a friend of mine who has a 1080 ti and currently can't use his PC for personal reasons and I will rent it from him on the hopes that the GPU prices go much down in the next 2 months.

    My questions are

    1- since I will only practically be upgrading my original hardware to newer ones in the same lineup, how much will I suffer with the operating system, I really don't want to reinstall my almost 2 terra and a bit stuff Because I only am theoretically upgrading my stuff, I know I will have to redownload my Drivers but that is it? Or am I missing on stuff?

    2- The PSU that I will get will definitely be atleast gold rated and with a budget of 80$ I think I'll find good stuff but do you have anything recommended? Especially because I will be upgrading from 1000s to 3000s when GPU stocks at MSRP come back near the end of the year I hope.

    Yes I am gambling a bit but hey what can you do?

    3- What do you think of my plan and if you have anything to suggest, be my guest

    A few notes that about what I learned from this shitty experience :

    1- NEVER go cheap on a PSU (even though it wasn't fully my fault because 3 years ago I didn't know that a PSU could do this and how important it is (I got my parts from a PC shop))

    2- no matter how much you do research on sth, you really are gonna miss some information at the end so just go to the experts.

    3- Your thermal paste NEEDS to be changed from 6-8 months, otherwise you'll have a 2 in 1 CPU cooler, that you'll need to separate with a heat gun.

    4- Life is a cunt and can fuck you at the worst times (hence the GPU).

    submitted by /u/xXRyBzXx
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for some advice on my first true PC build

    Posted: 27 Jun 2021 11:12 AM PDT

    Heres the list of stuff I have chosen for my build, this computer will be used for gaming and autocad for some architectural work.

    MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI Motherboard

    Ryzen 7 5800x

    Phanteks Eclipse P300A

    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 X 16GB) DDR4 3600

    SK hynix Gold P31 PCIe NVMe (this is already paid for)

    I'm more so looking for advice on choosing a power supply but any other advice regarding these parts anyone my have I'd like to hear it. Like whether or not I'll have to flash the bios myself in order to get the 5800x to work on the Mobo or if I may need to do something in order to get the ram to run at 3600mhz. Or even better part options entirely I'm open to hear it.

    The mother board has a 12 pin connector for the CPU and I plan on getting a rtx 3070 ti or 3060 ti, I can't seem to figure out whether the 3070 ti has 1x 12 pin connector or x2 8 pin connectors. Do I just use splitters off the PSU cables to connect the 12 pin connector for the CPU? And same goes for the GPU? I want to do this properly but the correct PSU and cable set up gets confusing to me.

    If someone could link me to some nice case fans too that'd be sick. Personally not a fan of RGB but seems kinda hard to avoid that stuff these days.

    More storage will come later, just working on getting the pc up an operational before hand.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Tannerb8000
    [link] [comments]

    Is it worth changing my GPU thermal paste if it's old?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2021 04:05 AM PDT

    My GPU is a Zotac GTX 970. I bought it in 2014 and since then I never changed the stock thermal paste. I use it every day for several hours. Lately I noticed that it reaches 80~85 °C when under stress. Could be worth changing thermal paste and pads?

    submitted by /u/177Frenk
    [link] [comments]

    It's been 8 years since my last PC Build; am I doing this right?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2021 02:26 PM PDT

    Hi,

    It's been 8 or so years since my last PC build and as much as component prices are crazy right now; am really in need/wanting a new PC that is a little more speedy than what I have currently.

    Right now my PC that I built myself some years ago is like this:

    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H

    CPU: Intel I7-4770k (no overclock)

    Ram: 2x8GB DDR 3 800MHz

    GPU: Geforce GTX970

    SSD: Samsung 870Evo 1TB

    I mainly use my PC for CAD modeling/rendering as well as some casual PC gaming/emulation with my friends. It is also dual booting an OSX system (hackintosh) just for fun. I am leaning towards an AMD system this time around as the performance seems to be better than Intel this generation, and with current GPU prices and availability I think I'll try an integrated graphics for the time being until the market gets better. Also it seems Emulation is better overall on AMD systems just due to having more cores/ threads available. The system i'm debating on building would basically be this:

    Motherboard: ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5700G (when they become officially available)

    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)

    GPU: Integrated for now.

    SSD: SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express Gen 4.0

    Case: NZXT H510 Elite

    PSU: Seasonic FOCUS GX-850,

    With regards to what I have above; does this seem like a reliable system build that will last me 5+ years without having to completely rebuild/rebuy a new PC? Also since AMD does not come with a CPU cooler by default is it worth investing or using a water cooled type of system for the CPU? Personally i've stayed away from liquid cooled systems in the past only because there is something about mixing liquid and electronics that just sounds weird to me.

    And if anyone has any tips to save money on this build (or a similar one) please let me know. Shipping from Canada preferred.

    - Cheers and thanks,

    submitted by /u/resentedpoet
    [link] [comments]

    RTX 3060 vs 3060 TI for VR

    Posted: 27 Jun 2021 02:19 PM PDT

    It's been a while since I've upgraded, and I'm upgrading this time primarily for VR. Oculus Quest using Oculus Link. Ryzen 5 5600x for the CPU. For the GPU, it seems like the 3060 will be slightly easier to find sooner than the 3060 TI. Am I going to regret going with the 3060 for VR instead of waiting to find a 3060 TI? Will there be a noticeable performance difference, or should the 3060 be able to run most current VR games without issues?

    Also, I have an R9 290 currently that I'll have to use in the new build until I can find the 3060 or 3060 TI. Anyone know if the R9 290 would be able to handle VR at all?

    submitted by /u/Cool_of_a_Took
    [link] [comments]

    My new pc build

    Posted: 27 Jun 2021 02:14 PM PDT

    I have selected all the parts I would want for the pc, but I am very inexperienced at this and as such, I am here to ask whether this is a good build. Here is a list of the components:

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NFn2y4

    Out of those not on there:

    Monitor - 27" Acer Nitro VG272UPbmiipx (https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/p/90745662)

    I would really appreciate helpful suggestions about the build and I would primarily like to know whether this case would actually do and whether the power supply has enough wattage.

    submitted by /u/Affectionate_Ad_8426
    [link] [comments]

    Bootable M.2 USB Enclosure Help

    Posted: 27 Jun 2021 11:55 AM PDT

    Hi friends

    My laptop needs to go in for repair and i use it for work. It has a 1tb m.2 ssd drive which id like to continue to use whilst the laptop is in for repair. So, I have taken the m.2 ssd drive out and i want to use it in my desktop. However, my motherboard only supports a single m.2 which is already being used.

    How capable are m.2 usb enclosures at running an OS? I have purchased one on amazon, but i found that it crashes a lot and gets quite hot whenever i use it as a boot drive.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08RVC6F9Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    Just wondering if this is at all possible or if im trying to do something insane

    I intend to use to use it for 7-8 hours a day, until my laptop is repaired (been estimated a 1-2 weeks)

    submitted by /u/KHANDev
    [link] [comments]

    gpu maintenance question about thermal paste/pads

    Posted: 27 Jun 2021 09:07 AM PDT

    hello. until now i thought my gpu is dying but it seems that its thermal paste and pads are fucked up and some part of it is extremely overheating causing INSANE lag/stutter/throttle in games like dropping from 1300 frequency to 400 every second and gpu making weird sounds. its an rx 480 4gb msi gaming x and its around 4 years old. how i realized that? because i pushed the right side of it a little bit up and the temp of the gpu gone from 60c to 80c instantly on msi afterburner and the lag almost disappeared. something doesnt make good contact is what i think. now i want to open it and replace every thermal pad and even add more pads on parts that dont have any, and replace the thermal paste. what pads and paste should i look for? never done this before. is arctic mx5 and arctic pads good choice? https://www.arctic.de/en/Thermal-Pad-APT2560/ACTPD00011A https://www.arctic.de/en/MX-5/ACTCP00046A

    submitted by /u/Zamuru
    [link] [comments]

    Question about Static Pressure Fans for dual AIO Setup 3080 Hybrid and Arctic 360

    Posted: 27 Jun 2021 02:05 PM PDT

    So I'm in the process of piecing together a system, got my queue from EVGA for 3080 hybrid that I did not expect to get, now I already have a 360mm Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 for my build.

    My question is i plan on running the 360mm as an intake and the 3080 Rad as an exhaust at the top, with that fan config in a Lian Li Lancool Mesh, would there be enough air flow using the static pressure fans mounted to the front of the case through the radiator as well as static fans attached to the AIO at the top exhausting?

    Also what would be some good fans for a config like that RGB and non RGB.

    submitted by /u/Sneakyhipo
    [link] [comments]

    Motherboard Slot#1 Unable to read the RAM

    Posted: 27 Jun 2021 06:22 AM PDT

    Hello, I moved my PC setup from one case to another without removing the CPU or RAM as already being inserted on the board, so I unscrewed the motherboard and put it in the new case, and re-wired everything.

    (edit: FYI a two-slot motherboard)

    Turned it on and the MSI DRAM LED on their 'EZ Debug LED' was showing, but only when RAM was in slot #1, both sticks work in slot #2, so it isn't the RAM Sticks that are faulty, when the RAM is fully pushed in and locked the error happens, so if one of the sticks were loose in the motherboard will ignore the stick, as I originally assumed that a loose stick could be causing the motherboard not to post, but this wasn't the case. If anything is in Slot1, it will not post and the EZ Debug will flash CPU and DRAM on and off, until power down. Is there anything stupid I'm missing or troubleshooting steps, due to moving the pre-seated CPU and RAM from one case to another via the motherboard, I would assume they would be the last to be affected?

    System:

    CPU: Intel Core i5 10400F, S 1200, Comet Lake, 6 Cores, 12 Threads

    GPU: GTX 1050 TI

    RAM: Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz

    MOBO: MSI B460M-A PRO, Intel B460

    Guessing it is a new motherboard required, but I thought I'd check to see if you guys had any amazing ideas to save my wallet xD

    Thanks in Advance

    Regards,

    Adam

    submitted by /u/minidiamondminer
    [link] [comments]

    4k gaming

    Posted: 27 Jun 2021 01:50 PM PDT

    I built my PC just before all the covid and gpu prices skyrocketed and I love it. The problem is I got a Radeon 5700xt gpu with plans on either upgrading or adding another down the line. It was great at first (I was playing pretty simple games) but as I'm getting more and bigger games some of them like the witcher 3 are just too much to be playing at the resolution I'd like. Ideally I'd like to be able to play these games in 4k with at least 60 fps. I don't really know what I would need to make that happen though. Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/tyguy82693
    [link] [comments]

    New motherboard keeps restarting before BIOS

    Posted: 27 Jun 2021 01:48 PM PDT

    Bought a new motherboard, Asrock 450M Pro4, that was labeled as Ryzen 3000 ready, but doesn't seem to be compatible with my Ryzen 5 3600. Pc will just restart every 30 seconds without reaching BIOS. I have everything set up outside of my case and I've tried using only one stick of ram in different slots, removing GPU, changing PSU, and making sure the CPU is properly seated.

    Do these signs point to the BIOS not being updated for gen 2 Ryzen? Don't think the board has a BIOS flashback feature so I can't update to a newer bios without an older CPU or a boost kit from amd.

    submitted by /u/speedracer5998
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment