• Breaking News

    Tuesday, June 22, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - June 22, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - June 22, 2021


    Simple Questions - June 22, 2021

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Is it safe to continue using computer after removing viruses? Or should I completely wipe and reinstall windows just to be sure?

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 03:48 AM PDT

    I got trojans on my computer, I removed them with malwarebytes. Did scan again after restart and found 0 threats. I'm afraid there might be some files that didn't get detected and will reinstall the malware again without me noticing.

    Is it enough to just remove viruses with antivirus or is it necessary to completely reinstall windows after being infected?

    sorry for offtopic but in other subs they didn't answer

    submitted by /u/shit_fart_dick_ass
    [link] [comments]

    it's finally over

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 01:15 PM PDT

    I've been camping stock streams, discords, bestbuy drops, newegg shuffle for 4 months now.

    EVGA notify for the 3070ti FTW3 Ultra came through today. Got a 30% off coupon through the elite wheel spin. I've been EVGA for all the graphics cards I purchased in my life - 670, 970, now 3070ti.

    799.99 -> 543.19 thank you evga!

    Leaving all the discords was PURE DOPAMINE

    build pics coming soon :)

    submitted by /u/Jazeboo
    [link] [comments]

    Even once-trusted GPU vendors are scalpers now.

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 01:26 AM PDT

    I'm in the UK. It's as tough to get your hands on a new 3000 series card as anywhere.

    But recently, it's got worse. You used to be able to find cards going online for sale at retail price. They would be gone in an instant, of course.

    Well, now the usually trustworthy sites such as Novatech, Overclockers and Scan have started listing their cards at scalpers' price. The game is done!

    In the last few days I've seen 3070s listed at £900, 3080s for £1400 and 3080 Ti's for £1800.

    Once this shortage is over, what vendor should I be giving my custom to as a reward for their loyalty to their customers, rather than to their margins?

    submitted by /u/Aidan_sco
    [link] [comments]

    looking for cpu

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 03:35 PM PDT

    looking for a processor for my sister

    the total w/motherboard is ideally under $250 so please don't recommend a chip with way expensive mobos lol

    criteria: integrated graphics to use til we can get a gpu, as good as it can be at this price point

    i was thinking a used 9600k and a new b365m? Not sure

    submitted by /u/CantRecallWutIForgot
    [link] [comments]

    Planning on buying a prebuilt because prices are insane right now.

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 09:03 AM PDT

    This will be my first gaming pc btw. Does this look good? I know the 3060 isn't the best but can swap it with something better later when prices return to normal?

    https://www.newegg.com/skytech-st-shadow-0249-ne-shadow-3-0/p/N82E16883289133?Item=N82E16883289133

    submitted by /u/crustymonkey16
    [link] [comments]

    Which one of these does my headphone jack go into?

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 02:48 PM PDT

    ......Is my GPU permanently inaccessible?

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 02:42 PM PDT

    Just thought I'd refresh the thermal paste on my GPU. But it looks like there are some weird proprietary screws that have no way of removing?

    (It's a prebuilt PC)

    GPU

    Close-up of screw

    submitted by /u/depivet412
    [link] [comments]

    RAM Settings for Corsair Vengean

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 04:07 PM PDT

    Hi. Was curious if anyone could tell me how to get my RAM speed up (currently running at 2133MHz)? Thanks in advance.

    [PCPartPicker Part List](https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LTpcGq)

    Type|Item|Price

    :----|:----|:----

    **CPU** | [Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yhxbt6/intel-core-i7-10700k-38-ghz-8-core-processor-bx8070110700k) | $259.99 @ Amazon

    **CPU Cooler** | [Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hmtCmG/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2) | $36.90 @ Amazon

    **Motherboard** | [Asus PRIME B460-PLUS ATX LGA1200 Motherboard](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8DH8TW/asus-prime-b460-plus-atx-lga1200-motherboard-prime-b460-plus) | $114.99 @ ASUS

    **Memory** | [Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/p6RFf7/corsair-memory-cmk16gx4m2b3200c16) | $82.99 @ Amazon

    **Memory** | [Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/p6RFf7/corsair-memory-cmk16gx4m2b3200c16) | $82.99 @ Amazon

    | *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |

    | **Total** | **$577.86**

    | Generated by [PCPartPicker](https://pcpartpicker.com) 2021-06-22 19:05 EDT-0400 |

    submitted by /u/ThrowAwayRAMsettings
    [link] [comments]

    Help with where to apply thermal pads to on 1080ti

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 03:54 AM PDT

    I have bought a morpheus 2 cooler for my 1080ti and while the instructions aren't super clear on where to apply thermal padding and youtube videos on it are incorrect according to the people in the comments I just need help with where I should apply the thermal pads or thermal tape too

    http://imgur.com/gallery/CnFKV6a

    submitted by /u/gunnerbunny28
    [link] [comments]

    4k or 2k monitor?

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 09:08 AM PDT

    I recently purchased an upgraded PC. 3070 with a ryzen 7 5800x. I currently have a 1080 144hz monitor and I love it. But it's been flickering a lot lately so I just decided to buy another. I've heard that not all PC's can run 4k at a hz. Should I go for 2k or 4k? (Looking for a high hz similar to my current one)

    submitted by /u/dantecm
    [link] [comments]

    Stand-alone microphones

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 02:42 PM PDT

    I'm not sure if I'm in the right place for something like this and if I'm not please let me know and if you can lead me to another subreddit that this is more suitable for. Thanks.

    Ok so for a while now I've been looking for a good standalone mic for a new streamer as my headset one at the moment is failing me. The only problem is that I see lots of different people recommending different ones and others saying how bad they are and recommending a different one etc etc so I'm stuck in this loop and I'm not sure which one to get so I thought I would get some opinions and choices from Reddit. Thanks for any advice you can give and have a good day/evening/night.

    Edit: budget is around £100-£150

    submitted by /u/arctixonquack
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for some suggestions on a case swap, is it do-able for a complete beginner?

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 10:05 AM PDT

    So for context: I recently purchased a Prebuilt on one of Newegg's recent flash sale(s):

    Just for reference only***: https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali489/p/N82E16883360084?Description=abs&cm_re=abs-_-83-360-084-_-Product&quicklink=true

    My question: If I'd like to potentially swap the components from this prebuilt into a case with better ventilation/better reviews/ and add additional fans...I'll likely need another Mid-ATX case I presume?

    Is that completely do-able for a newbie? Or would it be worth spending the money to have microcenter swap the parts into another case?

    submitted by /u/IwataMurai
    [link] [comments]

    Is 56 Celsius for CPU and 50 Celsius for GPU good while gaming?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 07:24 PM PDT

    If not then what should it be at? BTW i played war zone when I was testing this for those asking. Edit: u guys recommend over clocking, I have it currently set at 4.8ghz. What should I increase it to then?

    submitted by /u/JadenLg
    [link] [comments]

    My Frankenbuild: the story of a 10 year old pre-built and numerous upgrades

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 05:13 AM PDT

    So this is my PC in it's current state. Tl;dr: Ship of Theseus, cheap new pc

    Ryzen 3 3200g

    MSI x470 gaming max

    2x8gb 3200MHz DDR4 (crucial el cheapo)

    EVGA GeForce GTX 1070

    500gb crucial P2

    2tb hard drive (10 years old, about to die)

    650w Power supply (can't remember brand)

    CD/DVD drive

    Segotep case, a Kogan $30AUD that'll do.

    This computer came in to my life on my 21st birthday, now almost 10 years ago. It was an Intel i7... I wanna say 2600? It was a beastly thing, with a 2tb hard drive, windows 7 64 bit, but it had like a GTS 450 so not so graphically powerful. After a couple of years, I saved up and got a GTX 660, and upgraded the power supply to a 650W (had this done at the local computer store), so I could get some reasonable frame rates on Tribes: Ascend, a game I was starting to play competitively. It had a good life, and was taking most things I threw at it, probably helped by me being a cheap ass gamer, and never buying full price titles ($90 AUD is more than I'm ok with paying). In fact, Tribes was a very poorly optimised game, so it was what made it work extra hard. So I bought a 1070 not long after release

    Around 2019, I moved in with my girlfriend, and 2 months later, the motherboard went kaput. Oh well, it happens. I got rid of it, and got a gigabyte board 2nd hand, including a 2x8gb DDR3 kit, doing the rebuild myself, which included a new case to conform with modern size standards That lasted about 2 years, then one day I plugged in my Logitech g920 wheel (my PC always got fussy about this wheel), and I suddenly started getting thermal shut downs. After examining the motherboard again, I decided I used too much thermal paste last time, and it was in the socket now. Fuck that shit. It was just 2021, but I feel like 2020 was having its last laugh

    Time for a massive change.

    At this time, I had just had my daughter, she was maybe 5 months old. Mum wasn't back to work yet... budget is tight. After some research, and recommendations, and some out of stocks, I went ryzen 3 3100. However none were in stock. So I got a 3 3200g. Very similar in price, and that's what I needed. Got a good price on the mobo, but in hindsight, should have gone a micro-ATX board, instead of full ATX. Also got the cheapest 3200MHz 8gb ram I could get, that wasn't no name.

    For those still reading, why?! Also, that means I have two parts remaining from my 21st birthday PC. The hard drive, and the optical drive, which I keep handy, because my missus like to play the Sims, and she has 20 discs with expansions, etc. And because EA are dicks, we're not buying the digital versions of something we already have.

    Now, my windows is saying my hard drive is constantly working at 100% capacity, and it's very slow. So I got a matching stick of ram, and finally got an SSD (literally first one I've had, skipped SATA, went M.2, which I didn't even know was a thing until this year)

    So, my PC of Theseus is about to lose its final original piece, and I salute it for all it's hard work. Next upgrade is up in the air (advice welcomed), but probably a monitor over 1080p 60hz

    Thankyou for letting me share my PC adventure. May your frame rates be high, and temps low

    submitted by /u/exthermallance
    [link] [comments]

    windows 10 problem

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 03:43 AM PDT

    so i was watching youtube and opened aimlab( a game) then suddenly all the apps froze, i coudnt restart so i forced shut down the pc. when i logged back on, the taskbar isnt working, windows settings isnt working and i cant close or open any apps. can anyone pls help. ( i had this pc for less than a year)

    submitted by /u/Distinct_Formal_1336
    [link] [comments]

    650W PSU enough for an RTX 3070?

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 02:09 PM PDT

    I recently finished building my new gaming computer. I'm currently using a 1650S that I salvaged from a pre-built.

    I decided to go with a semi modular Corsair PSU with 650 watts. I've been planning on upgrading to a 3070 when/if stock and prices become reasonable.

    I just want to know if 650 watts would be enough for a 3070 paired with a Ryzen 7 5800? Thanks

    submitted by /u/No-Clue-2589
    [link] [comments]

    Game crahes and BSODs with RAM upgrade

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 03:44 PM PDT

    System: Ryzen 5 2600 Msi B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC GTX 1060 6GB 600W 80+ Bronze PSU

    I used to had a 2x8GB (16GB total) Corsair Vengaence RGB Pro kit rated at 3200MHz C16, no problems whatsoever. I recently move to 4x8GB (32GB total) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB kit with the same 3200MHz C16 ratings.

    Since then, I've been experiencing frequent crashes in games and some BSODs. I have already updated BIOS and chipset drivers, but the issues persists. What is the cause for this? Is it my CPUs IMC not able to handle 32GB in 4 module configuration? Or maybe is the MB?

    All feedback is appreciated, help please.,

    submitted by /u/silentmancr
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen 5 1600

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 03:29 PM PDT

    Is the 1600 still a resonable option in 2021? I bought one for $80 and I'm wondering if I made the right choice.

    submitted by /u/Flat-Piece-1324
    [link] [comments]

    ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 01:01 PM PDT

    I was planning to buy an asus gaming tuf b550-PLus wifi mobo, I' ve done a test on userbenchmark.com and it tells me that it is incompatibile with my ram aka crucial ballistix ddr4 3600Mhz CL 16. Is it an error or it really won't work ? I plan to build it with a 5 5600x and a 6700xt/3060ti based on what I can get at a reasonable price, what do u think about the build too ? (i'd like to play in fullHD) . Thank u all for support and srry for my bad english

    submitted by /u/BlackRoseExe
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrading PSU | Is it enough?

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 12:56 PM PDT

    I got a build from someone and it has pretty good specs. But one thing about it that makes me feel a little uneasy is the PSU. It's a 850W Rosewill glacier, and the last pc I had ended up having some kind of psu failure and it took the motherboard with it. I like to check the brands of PSU and make sure that it's a reputable brand. However, I've seen a lot of negative reviews about this PSU failing on them after like a month and so on. So I decided to get a different one.

    What I'm looking at is a Seasonic Focus GX-650. It's on amazon for about 120 total CAD.System has Ryzen 5 3600x, 1070ti, 2 tb ssds and 1tb hdd, x570prime motherboard.Is the 650W PSU a good fit? I don't plan on overclocking anything yet. I will probably oc in the future though, and would like to know if it would still be fine. I will also probably be trying to get a better graphics card once the prices drop. Trying for a 3060.

    Edit: If there's a better build PSU recommended around 130CAD then Let me know

    submitted by /u/csened
    [link] [comments]

    Are power supply extensions universal? Looking to replace PSU in a custom computer.

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 12:54 PM PDT

    Hello. I'm trying to replace a psu in a custom built computer. It has very nice cable management and the job would be a lot easier if I could reuse the extensions. I'm wondering if they're universal. I know I can't mix and match modular psu cables, but what about extensions?

    Secondly, is it even worth the effort to switch out the psu. It's currently a evga 850b3. It's got enough power but I wanted something more robust to run the i9 and gtx 2080. I have bought a seasonic gx650 to replace it.

    Here's a picture. https://postimg.cc/cKn9tvXj

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Toxicair
    [link] [comments]

    Need some help on upgrades, trying to get back into gaming

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 11:08 AM PDT

    Hey all,

    I'm trying to get back into pc gaming, been pretty busy past couple years, so haven't played as much, but I'm going to have some free time coming up. I'm looking to upgrade some of my hardware, especially my CPU and motherboard. I am just starting my first real job, and will have some disposable income, so my price range is roughly 2000, but would like that to include the GPU as well. Thank you all in advance and lemme know if I need to provide anymore info.

    My specs right now are: CPU: i5-4690k Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 RAM: G.Skill Ripjawss X series (4gb x 2) GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti 6Gb PSU: Corsair GS 700W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX

    My brother also gave me two 8gb sticks of Corsair- Vengeance LTX ddr4 RAM, but it is not compatible with my current motherboard.

    submitted by /u/dallas_cowboys88
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendations for white monitors? (27" and above)

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 12:39 PM PDT

    Hey all! I've been on the hunt for white monitors recently but I've noticed that most of the available ones on the market are either meh in quality or ridiculously overpriced. I've been alternating between looking for curved 27" ones or ultrawide. These are the ones I've found so far:

    SAMSUNG LC34J791WTNXZA 34-Inch CJ791

    SAMSUNG Curved 1920x1080 HDMI VGA Monitor, White, 27"

    SAMSUNG LC34J791WTNXZA 34-Inch CJ791 Ultrawide Curved Gaming Monitor, White

    New Samsung 32 Full HD Curved Screen LED TFT LCD Monitor Glossy White

    SAMSUNG IT LC27F591FDNXZA SAMSUNG C27F591 27-Inch Curved Monitor

    Acer ED273 wmidx 27" Full HD (1920 x 1080) Curved 1800R VA Monitor with AMD FREESYNC Technology - 4ms | 75Hz Refresh Rate

    Do any of you have experience with these monitors or have suggestions? My price range is somewhere along the $100-650 range but ideally, I'm looking for something that's good with casual gaming (I play Genshin, CS, and Valorant) and graphic design (Photoshop, Illustrator) but still of quality. Whatever I get, I intend to stay with for quite a while so I don't really want to just look for aesthetics, but I am looking for one that's visually appealing. My GPU is the Asus RX 5600XT TUF EVO if that helps with anything.

    My set-up looks like this, and I'm currently using a hand-me-down NVISION monitor (local brand) that's really painful on the eyes but it is curved and 27". It goes with the set-up well, but it's definitely time for an upgrade. If anyone has any recommendations that aren't white that you think may go well with it, please let me know! The deskmat and keycaps will be changed to the linked ones so I'm excited for those to come in too!

    submitted by /u/kimtaetaes
    [link] [comments]

    Two sticks of ram are being detected and two aren't!

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 03:46 AM PDT

    So, in my system I currently have 2 sticks of the Corsair Vengeance RGB at 3000mhz, 2x8

    I just got an additional two sticks, these ones the same but at 3200mhz. When I plug them all in, both of the 3200 sticks light up but the old 3000mhz don't light up and the DRAM light on my mobo comes on. If I have the 3200 in slots 1 and 3 they light up and the 3000 in slots 2 and 4 don't, and if I switch them around the 3200 lights up in 2 and 4 and the 3000 doesn't in 1 and 3

    Does anyone know how to fix it? It would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Valyntine_
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment