• Breaking News

    Thursday, April 1, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 01, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 01, 2021


    Simple Questions - April 01, 2021

    Posted:

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to setup more storage

    Posted:

    Edit: Sorry if this is not the right place since I already built my system.

    I already have a system built with a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe drive in it.Yesterday I got my new Corsair MP600 1TB NVMe drive and want to add it to my system as additional storage, but what is the best way to set this up?

    One way I guess is to just add it as a separate drive, but how would Windows Storage Spaces work? Is it possible to set that up with the Samsung drive I am already using?

    submitted by /u/rgjertsen
    [link] [comments]

    My keyboard is giving me electric shocks so would an anti static mat help?

    Posted:

    Hi, no other forums could help and ROCCAT don't care so thought as ive seen other posts on this issue here, someone might advise.

    ROCCAT Vulcan 120 AIMO RGB Mechanical keyboard on a desktop pc.

    Sitting on a metal and glass table.

    I've had this keyboard for 2 years and it was VERY expensive but after a year it started to give me occasional micro shocks of electric now and again.

    In the last 6 months that has become more frequent and not its constant. I put my fingers on the cold metal and it burns a little but not painfully, just annoying.

    No damage or visible issues and all works fine.

    ROCCAT dont care but this is a known issue on their forums.

    I cannot afford a new keyboard and like this one so need a fix before im electrocuted haha

    I was thinking an ANTI STATIC mat might help but i cant find one online in black. They have large mouse and keyboard matts which might work....

    • Any ideas how to stop this please ?

    thanks :)

    submitted by /u/ilivedownyourroad
    [link] [comments]

    Help finding an GPU

    Posted:

    I posted here about a month ago going over my first pc build and some members recommend finding a different gpu (I was going with the Geforce GTX 1060 but was told the RX 580 would be a better choice.) After losing around $300usd on ebay trying to get one I wanted to reach out here to see if yall had any tips or sites I could look at getting one for a reasonable price.

    submitted by /u/Unlucky_Security2251
    [link] [comments]

    i have a 600W PSU intended for a 3060ti, but was able to buy a 3070 OC which recommends 650W?

    Posted:

    Current build, in progress.

    I have ordered the case (on backorder), PSU, GPU, RAM, Mobo and CPU already. i have yet to buy the storage drives, case fans, cooler or windows key.

    initially i was intending to get a RTX3060ti to go with the Ryzen 6500x and so i ordered a Corsair SF600 80+ platinum PSU. However, i was able to grab a 3070 Gaming OC while waiting for 3060ti's to be available.

    the pcpartpicker list suggests that the system should draw less than 400W, but im aware that its only an estimate. the outervision PSU calculator suggests 425W, but Gigabyte recommend a 650W PSU for the 3070 Gaming OC. since both the 5600x and the 3070 both overclock themselves, im not sure how accurate any of these predicted wattages would be when the system is actually in use. so im just wondering whether or not i should try to upgrade to a SF750 or if the SF600 will still do the trick.

    There is only a 50W difference between my PSU and the recommended PSU for the card, but everything ive read about PC building says don't take a chance with the PSU, so I'd like a second opinion if possible. Since the case is on backorder, if I have to swap the PSU for a 750W version, its not going to delay the build.

    edit: seems like the consensus is its fine and dont worry. which is fantastic. thanks for the reassurance!

    submitted by /u/MoltenToastWizard
    [link] [comments]

    Is a GTX 1660S a good gpu?

    Posted:

    Forgot to turn on XMP... Four years ago

    Posted:

    Lately I've been trying to decide whether my system could handle a new GPU ( if I could actually buy one). Last night I was looking over my specs with Hwinfo and I noticed the ram speed seemed low. To make a long story short I realized that I had never turned on the XMP profile in the machine's BIOS so for the last four years my ram hasn't been running at optimal speed.

    I enabled it and ran with the new profile for a few hours without any glitches. I don't really notice any major performance improvement but I do feel like an idiot for not catching it sooner.

    Anyone else made any build blunders like this and not noticed until years later?

    submitted by /u/SandboxSurvivalist
    [link] [comments]

    3600mhz RAM suggestions for Ryzen 5 5600x?

    Posted:

    Hello everyone. Which 3600mhz RAM should I be getting for Ryzen 5 5600x? Thank you and have a nice day.

    submitted by /u/JohnTheWorldfucker
    [link] [comments]

    How do you think the 5950x will depreciate?

    Posted:

    I'm currently running a 3700x in my main rig, and a 3200g in my home server. I'm hoping to pick up a secondhand 5950x in a few years, and then replace the 3200g with the 3700x. This got me to thinking...

    How do you think the 5950x will depreciate, compared to other CPUs?

    Being the highest end AM4 CPU (assuming Ryzen 5000 is the last AM4 generation as rumors say), I basically have two possible speculations:

    1. Lots of people have the same idea as me, and decide to upgrade their AM4 CPU after a few years. These people generally decide to get the best they can get, causing the 5950x to get a high amount of demand in the secondhand market. As a result, it holds its value a lot better than the 3950x and the rest of Ryzen 5000.
    2. The kinds of people who buy a 5950x new are the kinds of people who always want to have the best. When newer and better CPUs come out, they eagerly upgrade to the new best, and flip their old hardware. The excess supply causes the 5950x to depreciate faster than its cousins.

    As someone who has personally never paid much attention to the secondhand market, I don't really know which of these two (or both or neither) to expect. I'm interested to hear opinions/speculations of others with more experience!

    What trends have you seen with old flagship hardware pricing?

    submitted by /u/sinubux
    [link] [comments]

    Help optimizing new build for friend

    Posted:

    Hey guys,

    Buddy is finally getting a gaming PC instead of an Xbox and I've been tasked with putting it together for him. Build is a little expensive at the moment. Wondering if there is any fat I could trim here to get the price down besides the obvious less expensive monitor, run of the mill mouse/keyboard and a cheap headset which would save some cash and could be upgraded later. With silicone shortage and gpu availability issues I'm trying to build a sick setup that won't bottleneck a future rtx 3070 or equivalent purchase and using an old gtx 1060 itx 3gb aero stolen out of an MSI Trident 3 8th for now until prices are reasonable again someday.

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pDwGYg

    Didn't get AMD chipset because I don't have spare parts to get bois upgraded on older boards for newer chip generations as pcpartbuilder suggests might be necessary.

    Needs to do basic computer tasks but also want 120fps on high settings playing warzone, wow, diablo 3, cod games, overwatch and other similar titles.

    Any advice would be appreciated, a little out of the loop on current cpu market

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/VlVID
    [link] [comments]

    What’s with all the hate on the 11900K?

    Posted:

    Don't really get the gist of the situation but everyone fucking hates intel rn because of the 11900K

    submitted by /u/FlapJackNS
    [link] [comments]

    I hope that I don't get laughed at. I went custom with only a basic understanding beforehand.

    Posted:

    I have an Odessey G9 Monitor and Asus Nitro 5 Just wasn't doing it for me.

    • CAS: Syber L Series ATX Full-Tower Gaming Case w/ USB 3.0, ARGB & Both Side Tempered Window Panel [+46]

    • CPU: AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper 3960X 3.8GHz [4.5GHz Turbo] 24Core 48Threads 140MB L3 Cache 280W Processor [-560]

    • CS_FAN: 6X 120mm Phanteks SK120 PWM FAN - high airflow nine-blade 500-1500 RPM Radiator Fans Black [+39]

    • FAN: CyberPowerPC DEEPCOOL Castle 360EX ARGB 360mm AIO Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate [+23] (3 x Standard 120MM Fans)

    • HDD: 240GB WD Green SSD + 1TB SATA III Hard Drive Combo (Combo Drive)** Will add more

    • MEMORY: 32GB (8GBx4) DDR4/3200MHz Quad Channel Memory [+60]

    • MOTHERBOARD: ASRock TRX40 Creator ATX w/ WiFi 6, RGB, Dual LAN, 4 PCIe x16, 8 SATA3, 3 M.2 SATA/PCIe

    • POWERSUPPLY: 850 Watts - GIGABYTE GP-P850GM 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active Power Supply

    • SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

    • VIDEO: GeForce RTX™ 3090 24GB GDDR6X (Ampere) [VR Ready] [+1821] (Single Card)
    submitted by /u/9allthetime
    [link] [comments]

    Will changing/replacing the cpu improve fps?

    Posted:

    I currently have a gtx 1660 ti with a ryen 5 2600, im looking to change the cpu for a ryzen 7 3700x, will the fps be the same or will they increase? I really dont want to waste money.

    submitted by /u/Political_Tree
    [link] [comments]

    Help

    Posted:

    So I turned my pc on for the first time, and it opened bios np. I turned it off to put a panel on, and when I turned it back on again, my monitor said it got no signal. What do I do?

    submitted by /u/2Tophat
    [link] [comments]

    Getting into streaming - Looking for advice on some peripherals

    Posted:

    Hi all,

    Would you guys be able to recommend me good performance (not the most expensive or high-end) but value headsets, microphone, and webcam that is used and recommend by most people? I don't really have much clue so... Thank you all so much. Much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Jrodabmayb
    [link] [comments]

    Best Case Fans For Silence

    Posted:

    Currently working on my PC build and right now Im choosing between Lian Li Lancool Mesh 2 or Phantex p500a case. Both Lancool and p500a have great reviews in airflow / silence of the case which is why they're my top two options.

    BUT they both have sort of bad reviews for their case fans in terms of silence especially p500a

    I've heard that these case fans were some of the best in terms of silence and even with temps:

    Be quiet silence wings 3

    arctic f12 PWM

    arctic p12 PWM

    Scythe Kaze Flx

    Corsair LL120s

    My biggest thing is a case fan that is silent, I don't really care for RGB but that'd be nice.

    So what are your opinions on these? Do you have a good experience with one of these, any bad experiences? Do you any other recommendations?

    Thanks :).

    submitted by /u/auutumn26
    [link] [comments]

    RAM upgrade advice for 5600X

    Posted:

    Hello,

    I'm currently running 2x8GB 3200Mhz (with XMP enabled) RAM for a Ryzen 5600X. It works great, but I have realized that I need more than 16 GB of RAM (I use a number of virtual machines when working). What's the best way to upgrade - should I install an identical 2x8GB in the 2 open slots, or replace with 2x16GB? I've seen some conflicting things about using 2 vs 4 Ram sticks with XMP.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/DagothUr
    [link] [comments]

    Ram speed and GPU

    Posted:

    Hey people, just built my first PC and I've got a couple beginner questions. I'll post specs below in case it's relevant.

    My mobo is supposed to support ram speeds up to 3000MHz, my RAM can run at 3200MHz. So I would expect that it's running in my system at 3000MHz. When I boot into BIOS, the RAM is running at like 2300. I have the two sticks set into the 2nd and 4th slots on the mobo. I can try the 1st and 3rd but the manual was pretty clear on 2 and 4. Any thoughts on that?

    Second question, so I was lucky enough to get a 3060 the other day. My board is a microATX, so the GPU is a pretty large size in comparison to the board. I've got it hooked up properly, but just due to its size, I can see the GPU being held at a slight downwards angle towards the right side. Very slight, maybe like 3 degrees. Is that a cause for concern?

    Specs: MSI B550M MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X Ryzen 7 5800X G.Skill Ripjaw 2x16 3200 Samsung 500gb M.2 Corsair ICUE H100I RGB Pro XT Crucial 1TB M.2 8TB Western Digital HDD EVGA 650W Gold PSU

    submitted by /u/sixstring_blues
    [link] [comments]

    First Pc!

    Posted:

    New to PCs looking to build my first just looking for some light-med gaming nothing insane would this be a good setup? All products are on amazon. Looking to stay around $300-$500

    •AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core, 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with wraith stealth cooler

    •Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L Micro-ATX Tower with Magnetic Design Dust Filter, Transparent Acrylic Side Panel, Adjustable I/O & Fully Ventilated Airflow

    •Gigabyte P650B 80 Plus Bronze 650W, Quiet HYB Fan, Active Power Protection, Power Supply GP-P650B

    •PNY CS900 500GB 3D NAND 2.5" SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

    •Viper Steel Series DDR4 8GB (1 x 8GB) 3600MHz Single w/Gunmetal Grey heatshield

    •ASUS Prime A520M-K AMD AM4 (3rd Gen Ryzen) Micro-ATX Motherboard (ECC Memory, M.2 Support, 1Gb Ethernet, M.2, USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A,HDMI 2.1 4K@60Hz, D-Sub)

    submitted by /u/Bigdilly17
    [link] [comments]

    Fan hub problems

    Posted:

    Just transferred my pc over to a new case with a new fan hub, arctic 10 port pwm powered by sata and only have 4 pin connectors and is connected to chfan2 on my mobo (Asus prime z390-p. That said fan hub runs my fans at 100% all the time and I cannot control them at all either through asus' own fan control software, fanxpert4 or bios. Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/Cma8900
    [link] [comments]

    will i need a new windows 10 to change boot drive?

    Posted:

    I just purchased and installed my SSD, (I previously had a HDD) and i want to make the SSD my boot drive. will i need a new windows copy for this?

    submitted by /u/Jakeadada
    [link] [comments]

    Son is complaining his pc is laggy

    Posted:

    So built my son what I thought was a nice pc for Christmas. Lately he's been whining and I'm about to take it away. (Yes, he's being an ungrateful PITA right now) He's been saying the graphics are super laggy and it's unplayable. I've checked everything I can think of to see if it's setup up right. Any suggestions?

    Userbenchmark said everything was performing as expected or better. Will run another one and post it up later.

    Parts list

    what type of performance should we be expecting on games like forza and fortnite?

    submitted by /u/Cephrael37
    [link] [comments]

    CPU Choice help.

    Posted:

    Hey Folks.

    The quick version of the question

    The TLDR of this post should get the Ryzen CPU I'm asking about, or should I wait till the more powerful ones become available. Alternatively, should I stick with an intel CPU like an I9 9900K/10900K?

    I am currently contemplating building a new pc as I've recently found out that my current build is bottlenecking my current GPU by 37%, which isn't ideal.

    I've got most of my build thought up, and I've got a budget of around £1000 for all the parts I need as my build will be a complete rebuild due to my PC being 10 years old at this point. The Pc does still run things fairly well, but I've got the income to go and do a rebuild.

    Now here's my problem my current build is with an intel I7 3780, but for my new build, I'm considering making the switch to AMD/Ryzen unless someone can make a very compelling argument to stick with intel.

    What I'm considering going with is the Ryzen 7 5800X. From what I've heard its a pretty good CPU for my needs, primarily 3d modelling, photoshop and of course gaming; however, I don't know if it's worth waiting till the Ryzen 9 5900x/5950x become available again, whereas the R7 5800X is available and at a reasonable price and seems to fit the needs that I'm going for.

    P.s quick addition I've got a 750 gold PSU in my current build. Do you think I can reuse that in my new build, or would it be safer to buy a new one? Bear in mind and my PSU is about 10 years old at this point.

    submitted by /u/roguespectre101
    [link] [comments]

    What is a good, sustainable graphics card?

    Posted:

    thinking about building a new pc, i'd like a better card than my current one (a 1060) that'll last a decent while but not one that's like a thousand pounds haha

    i've had my 1060 for like 4 years maybe, but it's sorta chugging along now a days

    submitted by /u/matty314dream
    [link] [comments]

    Graphics card for workstation hardware accelleration

    Posted:

    I am currently putting together a PC for our lab and we need a graphics card to help process data in Bruker SCiLS lab software.

    $500 budget, preferably under 150W TDP

    With all of the crypto/covid madness going on I know the gaming GPU market is nuts, and I've realized I really don't know much about the workstation GPU market.

    submitted by /u/awaythrow810
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment