• Breaking News

    Monday, March 1, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - March 01, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - March 01, 2021


    Simple Questions - March 01, 2021

    Posted: 01 Mar 2021 04:00 AM PST

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I am a dumbass

    Posted: 01 Mar 2021 07:07 AM PST

    For the past week and a half I've been hearing a grinding noise when I turn on my PC which only lasts for a second. I've been thinking it's my PSU fan, and everything is brand new so I was kinda worried. I've held off on investigating it since I was a bit busy, but last night when I was about to return it and get another PSU I finally did a thorough investigation.

    When I put my ear close to the PSU and turned on my PC, the sound wasn't even coming from it. It was coming from somewhere else. I tried loosening the screws on my HDD, but that wasn't it either.

    It was my new Xbox controller I got a week and a half ago which vibrates on start up, and happens to sit right next to my PC case where the PSU is...

    submitted by /u/RubiksEdits
    [link] [comments]

    Getting 50 FPS LESS than i did 3 years ago when i first got my 1070

    Posted: 28 Feb 2021 09:23 AM PST

    Recently ive been getting drops in FPS in rocket league and Bannerlord and even crashes related to GPU stress. No idea what can happened or if i've turned a magic 'turn my pc to shit' button somewhere but last 2/3 months my PC is running so baly when playing games. Did a Heaven Benchmark test in 2019 got 89fps average everything on extreme, just did one and got 41fps on average!

    Specs:

    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

    RAM: 16.0 GB

    GPU: 1070 founders edition

    Two SSDs, Plenty of power spare from the PSU, All drivers up to date

    Kind of embarrassing because im a computer technician by day trade but cannot figure out why my own computer is running badly. Feel free to talk to me like im a 3 year old because thats how i feel

    Edit: Going to take people advised, take the CPU off reapply thermal paste, Re-seat the ram and give it a general clean (Although i do clean it on the reg). Will update if it helps

    Edit 2: CPU cooler was slightly off one of the pins had split, tried to fix but cannot get it back on so looks like going to have to get new pins as it's loose by 1mm when sitting on top tbe CPU

    submitted by /u/itsbearns
    [link] [comments]

    Just ordered Corsair 4000D Airflow case does it really have a good airflow?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2021 03:49 AM PST

    Just ordered Corsair 4000D Airflow case does it really have a good airflow?

    I mean the GPU temp or CPU for anyone have this case share me ur temps it'll help me <3

    submitted by /u/5rBo6
    [link] [comments]

    RTX3060 doesn’t work anymore

    Posted: 01 Mar 2021 06:10 AM PST

    Built my PC yesterday and everything worked fine. This morning I turned my pc on and it flickered to a black screen and said "force update video drivers" and then went black again, it repeated this every 30 seconds.

    I tried setting the pcle port to Gen3, another power cable for the 3060, removing the card and reinstalling it, removing all drivers with DDU and clean installing them again, I also removed the device from device manager and then reinstalled the drivers again.

    It also says in device manager "the device was disabled because of a problem" and task manager or the RGB software doesn't detect the GPU.

    Anyone have ideas? Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Cemre2017
    [link] [comments]

    got my first pc!

    Posted: 01 Mar 2021 03:27 AM PST

    it is a prebuilt i5 10400f + a 1660super that I added a 2 terabyte hdd to and a new 80+ power supply.

    I would appreciate some tips to make the pc perform well so that i can have an overall better experience on it

    if anyone wants to play with me my steam is benficas_br

    rigth now I only play cs:go and apex but will get going on r6 soon

    submitted by /u/Benficasbr
    [link] [comments]

    After almost 1.5 years of using my PC I discovered DC mode for fans

    Posted: 01 Mar 2021 05:52 AM PST

    TL;DR: If you use PWM mode for your case fans and they run very fast on minimal settings, check the DC mode.

    Remember all those posts about people that thought their monitors/GPUs topped at 60FPS because they didn't unlock them, or 3200MhZ RAM set to 2133MhZ because they didn't set up the XMP profile? Well, here's a third option: relying on idiotic ASRock PWM setting.

    I tried to silence my fans and noticed that something is off with my Noctua NF-A20. It could spin as low as 350RPM, but mine kept spinning at 800RPM, no matter if it was set to 40% or to 1%. The temps were nice, but the noise was something else. My fiancee learned to sleep in noise cancellers because of that.

    Well, I was talking about it with my buddy and he initially thought that the fan is faulty. Then I tried some fan controlling software, to no avail (using PWM). At that point, he suggested DC mode. I tried it and bam! Down to 450RPM from 800RPM. I adjusted exhaust and CPU as well and now I can barely hear my PC.

    PS: ASRock's PWM fan control sucks fat, dirty, sand-ridden, greasy bearings.

    submitted by /u/SwipySwoopShowYoBoob
    [link] [comments]

    Help- 3900x, H100iv2, 80C temps at idle???

    Posted: 01 Mar 2021 11:53 AM PST

    So, I just upgraded my system to a 3900x with a new X570 Taichi board, and all seemed running fine- I built it 2 days ago. I finally downloaded RyzenMaster and when I opened it up, it said my CPU temps were at 80c!

    I looked at the temps back when I threw it back together, and they were perfectly fine. I added a tiny dab more thermal paste, to no avail. It's not even overclocked. Is there anything in the world I could be doing wrong here? Is there a specific way to hook up an AIO on this motherboard? Could this CPU be defective?

    submitted by /u/ChocolateNachos
    [link] [comments]

    Why is everyone telling me to get a B550 motherboard over a B450?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2021 09:47 PM PST

    15 10600k mistake?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2021 08:34 AM PST

    I got an intel i5 10600k with a z590 a Strix motherboard for 300 dollars and I saw people making fun of intel should I return it and get AMD instead?

    submitted by /u/kyokshu
    [link] [comments]

    Question on upgrading CPU and possibly GPU - or which would impact the most (gaming)

    Posted: 01 Mar 2021 02:29 PM PST

    Hey guys! I'm looking for advice on whether I should upgrade my existing CPU and if my current GPU would actually benefit gaming. It's quite possible my GPU is such a bottleneck that upgrading CPU wouldn't make much difference, but I wanted to ask you guys if that's correct or not.

    Existing setup:

    • Gigabyte B450 motherboard (bios not upgraded, would be needed in order to have Ryzen 5 or 7 I believe)

    • CPU: Ryzen 3 - 2200g processor

    • GPU: Radeon RX 580 with 8gb VRAM

    • Other specs: 16gb RAM and SSD drive on main C:\ drive (games are installed here)

    My goal is to run games at 1080p at 60 fps with mostly high settings. Right now that's not possible, only I don't know if the bottleneck is the CPU or my GPU, or both. I can do 1080p 60 fps with low to medium settings for most games though.

    Any help is appreciated and you've my thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Jorlen
    [link] [comments]

    Wtf is is this tiny ass fan header?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2021 09:45 AM PST

    It's smaller then the rest and I can't fit my fan connector in it.

    I'm stupid, there was an adapter for it in the box. Thank you!😅

    submitted by /u/VAMPHYR3
    [link] [comments]

    Blown graphics card?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2021 03:57 AM PST

    Over the weekend I was playing a game, when my PC reset itself. It is quite an old machine, and it came back on, but all displays were dead. I am currently able to run it through the mobo on integrated graphics, but this is less than ideal.

    The card is 4 years old or so, and is a Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro 8GB. I was hoping it would last a bit longer, at least until the current dearth of chips was over and I could have a full revamp of the pc but I think it may have played its last game.

    I have unseated the graphics card and replaced it, as well as changing over modular powercables. The card can draw power, as its RGB lights are on, but no display is occuring on any monitor I try it with. It is also not currently showing up under any of my system settings.

    Am I shit out of luck with a blown card, or is there anything else I can try to revive it?

    Any help gratefully received

    submitted by /u/zatoichi87
    [link] [comments]

    Recommend me a very tactile quiet compact keyboard thats not over $70 (I’m not a gamer) I’M SO SICK OF MY MEMBRANE KEYBOARD

    Posted: 01 Mar 2021 11:16 AM PST

    I thought it would be so easy to pick one but the more I look at it the more confusing it is!!!

    It would be a bonus if you can switch out the design for a better look (if the current key caps are ugly)

    To be honest I hate colorful lighting I like all white better HOWEVER if the keys are very tactile and quiet I can forgive that.

    I just want to type in peace without making mistakes every 10 seconds....

    I'm on budget, college programmer.

    submitted by /u/Alarming_Platform
    [link] [comments]

    Is it bad to run two monitors?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2021 01:55 PM PST

    I don't know why but whenever I have my 2nd monitor plugged in I feel like I'm pushing my pc. Should I worry?

    submitted by /u/twittman1717
    [link] [comments]

    Should I get 1 tb or 2 tb?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2021 11:50 AM PST

    What is the ssd norm?

    submitted by /u/NscAhoi
    [link] [comments]

    Can I replace an Intel core i3 with either an i5 or i7?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2021 01:16 PM PST

    I bought a prebuilt computer and it has an Intel core i3-9100f with ASRock H310M as the motherboard. Can I replace the i3 with an i5 or i7 on that and if so how hard would that be?

    submitted by /u/koreyc99
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrade cpu+motherboard for r9 380x (~250$)

    Posted: 01 Mar 2021 04:51 AM PST

    Good afternoon! I need help with the choice of cpu+motherboard. I have an r9 380x and an i3 6100 that are about 5 years old. I will not upgrade the GPU, because the kidney is still needed (maybe later, but...). The question is what to take for the r9 380x (pc-builds.com shows that r9 380x will limit: i3 10100 by 1.69%, i5 10400f by 12.8%, r3 3300x by 12.89%, r5 3600x by 15% , and so on). Does it make sense to buy a cpu like i5 10400f for this gpu?

    P.S. RAM 16GB with a frequency of 2133, I also need to update :(

    P.S. budget for cpu+ motherboard is about $250

    submitted by /u/yfgjhyjkfm19
    [link] [comments]

    Can I use a EVGA gtx 1060 on Dell Oplitex 7010 Desktop?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2021 12:55 PM PST

    Hey guys

    I have an Oplitex 7010 Desktop size and I was wondering if I could use an EVGA GTX 1060 graphics card on it, if so, do I have to upgrade the 250W PSU that came with it?

    I don't know the exact specs of the card and I only have 1 picture of it but by the looks of it I found it on Amazon and I am alsmost 100% sure that this is the card: https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-GAMING-Support-03G-P4-6162-KR/dp/B01KU2CIIY/ref=pd_sbs_1?pd_rd_w=tbvNN&pf_rd_p=5e0f7f8d-f321-4a3e-bdac-3142fcd848d7&pf_rd_r=SSSEY5808H8TXV8HWD11&pd_rd_r=f76614e6-aa55-4ce7-9f15-6f4d30eacbd5&pd_rd_wg=IqKaU&pd_rd_i=B01KU2CIIY&th=1

    (Sorry for the long link)

    Like I said I'm not sure if those are the exact specs but, let's just say that they are, would I be able to put it in a Dell Oplitex 7010 Desktop and what other parts would I have to upgrade?

    submitted by /u/CameleonFilms
    [link] [comments]

    Will a Ryzen 5 3600 bottleneck a RTX 3070?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2021 12:44 PM PST

    Just wondering if it is time to upgrade my CPU. Which combination would be the best ?

    submitted by /u/Happy_Shibe_
    [link] [comments]

    Which used Computer to get? 2080TI OC vs 3080

    Posted: 01 Mar 2021 03:32 AM PST

    Hello guys,

    because of the present situation I decided to buy a used computer. It comes down to 2 builds and iam not really sure which one to pick. Iam located in germany, just so you know. I want to go for a PC, that I don't have to upgrade in the next few years and that is capable of streaming games to Twitch and fast video editing. I checked prices for the components and these 2 seem to be the best ones.

    First PC: Pricetag: 1700 Euros
    GPU: Asus RTX 2080 Ti OC 11GB
    CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x
    RAM: 4x8 Gb RGB 3600
    SSD: - Samsung SSD 970 EVO 250 GB M.2
    - 2. Crucial mx500 750 GB
    PSU: 700 Watt
    MB: B450 Tomahawk MAX

    Second PC: Pricetag: round about 2000 Euros
    GPU: Msi gaming xtrio 3080 10 gb ddr6x Speicher
    CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x
    RAM: 32 ggb ddr4 gskill trident z ram 3600mhz Taktung
    SSD: - 1 ggb nvme ssd
    PSU: 750 watt netzteil corsair 80 plus Gold
    MB: Asrock x570 xtreme4 Mainboard

    So iam not 100% sure here. I now die 3080 is better than the 2080ti OC, but is the difference that huge? Cant see me playing 4K for example. The First Computer is in my city, the second one is located 4 hours away from me. Iam not really into upgrading, normally I get a new Desktop every 4 years.

    While writing this I was thinking about getting myself a 2k Monitor with 144hz (not sure if 24 or 27 inch). Atm iam using a HD Monitor with 144hz and 24 inch (60,96 cm).Or would be 240hz with 1080p the best? Maybe someone reading this had the same dilemma and could help me out.

    Thanks in advance, have a great day folks!

    submitted by /u/JohnLeffers
    [link] [comments]

    Is this used build a buddy is offering me worth $1500?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2021 02:42 PM PST

    Cooling/Fans suggestions?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2021 02:42 PM PST

    Hello, PC building novice here. Did a bit of research about various parts & this is what I've come up with:

    Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB

    CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

    Motherboard: Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi

    GPU: 3070 Aorus Master 8GB DDR6

    PSU: NZXT C850 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular

    Primary Storage: Samsung 1TB 970 EVO Plus NVME

    Secondary Storage: Seagate 2 TB Barracuda 7200 RPM

    RAM: G.Skill 16 GB (8x2) DDR4 Trident Z NEO RGB 3600 MHZ CL16

    Cooler: NZXT Kraken X73 360mm (Front)


    Fans:

    Front: 120mm x3 RAD Intake Fans (Push? Pull? Still haven't understood that)

    Rear: 120mm rear Exhaust Fan

    Top: 120/140mm x2 Exhaust Fans

    Above PSU: 120mm x 2 Intake Fans

    I'm confused about which fans I should go with. Are the stock fans any good? Also not sure whether to use 120mm or 140mm fans for Top. Any other suggestions regarding the build are also welcome :)

    submitted by /u/lmaoatlwiay
    [link] [comments]

    Would you recommend the nzxt x73 for silent operation for a 9900k@4.9ghz? .

    Posted: 01 Mar 2021 02:41 PM PST

    Recommend A Water Cooler Please - Or maybe I have what I need. Don't know

    Posted: 01 Mar 2021 12:17 PM PST

    Hi, So my 3090 fan just runs at 100%. It's faulty, tried everything flashing bios, reinstalling drivers etc etc. Otherwise it works very well and I'd hate to lose it to RMA for god knows how long. It's loud as heck though. Anyway, I see they make water cooler boards for them. However, I have a watercooler but it goes to the CPU and the connections are not like that of the 3090 cooler board. EK? It is a generic Ibuypower led watercooler. Can I use this with adapters or need another cooler? If so please make some not so expensive recommendations. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Pinballerz
    [link] [comments]

    How do you overclock RAM and is it safe to do so?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2021 12:16 PM PST

    So I heard you can overclock RAM. Currently I have 2400mhz but my motherboard supports up to 2666mhz so I was wondering if I could overclock it. Do you need specific RAM to be able to overclock? I currently have corsair vengance 2400mhz C16 RAM. Any help would be nice.

    submitted by /u/oddcoval12
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment