• Breaking News

    Friday, February 19, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - February 19, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - February 19, 2021


    Simple Questions - February 19, 2021

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 04:00 AM PST

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any Nvidia GPU's that aren't completely sold out?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 05:27 AM PST

    If not, do you have any mid range recommendations? Preferably SFF compatible ones.

    submitted by /u/amHooman0763
    [link] [comments]

    What gpu should I go for ?? (ryzen 5 3600 and 16 GB RAM)

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 04:23 AM PST

    My max budget for a gpu is 410€. I always wanted a rtx 2060 (simple or super) and I heared that there'll be a restock soon (same for gtx 1050 ti) . The only think I'm afraid is that their prieces will jump over my budget...

    Do you have any ideeas/suggestions?

    submitted by /u/tavim26
    [link] [comments]

    Anti-static protection for components not touching the case>

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 06:59 AM PST

    Most likely a newb question...

    I understand that if my anti-static wrist guard is clipped to the bare metal of my case (PSU plugged in, but turned off) then I can safely work on components in the computer because everything is connected through the case.

    However, if I am prepping components out side of the case, most notably the motherboard (CPU, cooler, RAM, M.2 SSD, etc.), how do I make sure those components are protected? My assumption is that the alligator clip on the case is no longer helping me. Do I clip it to the motherboard?

    submitted by /u/blossbloss
    [link] [comments]

    Keyboard and mouse combo (preferably wireless) that can switch seamlessly between mac and windows?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 06:58 AM PST

    I have a single ultrawide monitor i am using for my 2018 macbook pro and my gaming rig. I'd like a way to be able to seamlessly switch at least the keyboard between controlling the pc and controlling the mac. Currently using a logitech G613 keyboard, but its ability to reliably reconnect to the mac is broken.

    Any suggestions? Willing to switch to wired if thats the best option, but prefer wireless if possible as I have a sit/stand desk.

    submitted by /u/GPSBach
    [link] [comments]

    Will I have to reformat if I want to get a Gen 4 NVME drive?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 05:13 AM PST

    I have a TUF Gaming X570 Plus Wifi, with a RTX 3080 and R9 3900X. For storage I currently have a Samsung 970 Evo plugged into the top M.2 slot. As well as an HDD for backup and music.

    I want to expand my storage with a 2GB Gen 4 NVME drive. But I have to plug this into the top M.2 slot for it to be fully utilized, right? Which would require re-installing windows on the new drive from what I understand?

    Or is there a way to move 970 to the bottom slot and still use it as the boot drive?

    I don't really care about increasing boot time, and I doubt it even would as I think any bottlenecks in that are elsewhere.

    submitted by /u/Chewy12
    [link] [comments]

    No internet access while downloading

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 12:25 PM PST

    Whenever I download something big on my desktop I am unable to access the internet, besides that one download. It's like the download sucks up all available bandwidth.

    Strangely though I still have a solid WiFi connection on my smartphone, PS4, tablet, etc. So it's just limited to the desktop.

    Good to know:

    • My desktop is a gaming rig with high spec components.
    • Connected via UTP to a Netgear Nighthawk AX4 router.
    • Once the download is completed I regain all internet access.
    • No special settings (like QoS) configured in the router.

    Any idea what's going on and how to fix the issue? I know it's not directly related to building a PC but I hope y'all can help me out regardless.

    submitted by /u/DutchSimba
    [link] [comments]

    RTX 2060 for 336€

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 03:00 AM PST

    I am about to build my first PC and although most of the graphics are out of stock I could find an RTX 2060 for 336€ at a local shop. Is this a fair price?

    submitted by /u/Nicekor
    [link] [comments]

    RTX 2070 vs RX 5700 XT

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 08:13 AM PST

    Able to buy them both at the same price, which one is the better buy? Or should I buy a GTX 1660 and wait this craziness out?

    submitted by /u/MladjoKS
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on Case upgrade

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 04:02 AM PST

    Currently rocking a prebuilt case that can barely fit my new Gigabyte Gaming OC 3070 ( she a thiccccc one )

    Looking for something with 360 radiator support, ATX, and general aesthetic look to it, something like the lian li o11 but for a lower price.

    Also looking for general advice on what else to upgrade, my current specs are a 9900k, aorus z390 ultra, dark rock pro 4 ( wanting a AIO but z73 is pricey ), ripjaws v series 16gb ddr4 3200mhz, and a evga nex 750b.

    submitted by /u/UncIeRemus
    [link] [comments]

    Can a computer run perfectly with a broken dimm pin?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 05:25 AM PST

    I don't know if I'm posting this in the correct subreddit but warn me if it is. And sorry for formatting because I'm on mobile.

    I built a computer about 6 months ago with the specified components:

    -Ryzen 5 3600 -MSI B550 Gaming Plus MB -2x8 Kingston HyperX 3200 RAM -Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT

    So here my question comes through. I have been using this pc without any sort of trouble and to it's maximum potential. But 2 weeks ago when I tried to restart, it didn't boot. And VGA Debug LED was on. I tried a couple of times but couldn't get it to boot again except once when i changed the plug and reset the cmos but even then it was extremely slow and laggy. And even then I was able to see all the components except of course the ram speed was 2400 MHz bu default.

    I RMA'd my motherboard because all the other components were working fine. Today I received a call that my MB warranty was voided because apparently a pin in a RAM slot was broken and MB was sent back.

    To add to that I replaced my cpu cooler 2 months ago and had a similar problem where my pc wouldn't boot but this time CPU Debug LED was on and got fixed when I reset cmos.

    So would it be possible for my MB to run completely fine for at least 2 months with a broken pin and what do you suggest me to do now?

    submitted by /u/saranyus
    [link] [comments]

    How important is amount of dedicated VRAM for PC game to run smoothly?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 12:24 PM PST

    Hey all,

    Never added anything to my PC before, and I am not terribly well-verse technologically. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

    Stated simply: I'd like to play a recent game on my PC, and I think I need a new graphics card to do so. However, I don't know anything about graphics cards, and so was hoping to get some guidance.

    The specs on my machine are as follows:

    • CPU: Intel Core i7-4790
    • RAM: 32GB
    • OS: Windows 10 64-bit
    • Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics 4600

    I'm hoping to play "Mafia: Definitive Edition" (and perhaps some other recent games if that works). By the looks of it, the only thing preventing my machine from being able to run the game is the graphics card. The required dedicated VRAM for the game is 2GM, and the recommended is 8GB (although some websites say 4GB).

    Here's a website I found that compares different graphics cards to the game's requirements and recommendations.

    So, a few quick questions:

    1. When looking at graphics cards, does anything other than the amount of dedicated VRAM matter?
    2. I've never played a game that required a hardware upgrade. Do people have a rough sense of how important it is to have the recommended vs. the required amount of VRAM?
    3. If I get a graphics card, will I also need to get a cooling unit as well? Or if the graphics card isn't too fancy, will the built in fans on the card be sufficient?
    4. Some of the "recommended" graphics cards for the game are upwards of $1000. What do people think is a reasonable price for a mid-range card (i.e., one that would play the game without too many problems)? (If the answer is at least $500, I might be forced to scrap the idea of upgrading entirely.)
    5. Are there any other obvious questions that I should be asking, but aren't?

    Thanks in advance for any help!

    submitted by /u/samcarter8675
    [link] [comments]

    Creating windows boot USB on dirty computer.

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 12:24 PM PST

    So I'm about to start my build but only have access to my current puter that certainly has nasty viruses from torrenting. Would it be a dumb idea to create the boot usb for my new rig on it?

    submitted by /u/LeicaReich
    [link] [comments]

    How to share my excitement with a non-PC enthusiast?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 12:21 PM PST

    Hi! I'm getting a 3080 (salvaging a prebuilt for all the reasons I'm sure anyone reading this is familiar with) and a 4K 144hz monitor (Acer xb273k). I'm super excited about both but don't know what to show my SO that could help demonstrate how cool that combination is. The delta in my 3D mark scores before and after the upgrade won't impress in this case (though I can hardly wait to see the numbers!). My SO is very supportive but has 0 interest in gaming or tech, really. Are there any visual demos or anything in that vein that could really show off my new tech in a way a non-enthusiast might appreciate?

    Thanks so much for any help.

    submitted by /u/SwedishishKSP
    [link] [comments]

    Want to upgrade Mobo and CPU

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 07:02 AM PST

    Hey people, I need some help,

    I'll begin by describing my current PC, since I'm planning to reuse some of its parts.

    It's a modified Lenovo H50, with Bantry CRB mobo, AMD A8-7600 Radeon R7 CPU, and 8gb RAM, in which I have plugged a Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti for GPU ; I also changed the shitty power supply for a 600 watts one (Evga 600B). I needed to do some weird cabling, since Lenovo has house-made connectors and such. Anyway, it gets the job done, I can even play some games (mostly 360-era ones like Portal or Fallout, but also some newer indie titles like Hollow Knight). But it's slow and I'm sick of it.

    So here's what I want to do : change the motherboard and the CPU, add an SSD for OS, and have 16 gb RAM.

    I've been reading a lot on mobos and CPUs but I'm still not sure what to buy. Well, at least I know I want the mobo to be AMD and ATX, since I like the idea of being able to plug any CPU generation in it, and having a bigger mobo (my current one is micro-ATX and it drives me insane).

    I've got my eyes on a Tomahawk B450 for 150$ and a Ryzen 5 3600 for 275$, but I'm wondering if I really need that much, or if I can go with something less expensive but still suitable for my needs.

    So what are my needs ? Well, I mostly use my PC for work, since I'm a teacher and I teach from home (thanks covid). But I also like to game ; I don't really need to be able to play the latest AAA games, since I own a PS4, but I like being able to play indie games on Steam. I guess I would say my PC should be able to play games that you would expect a Switch to be able to play.

    I also work with Adobe Premiere a lot, but it's the most demanding program I use.

    So, what do you think ? Should I go with Tomahawk and Ryzen 5, or are there more suitable options for me ? Be aware that money is not that much of a deal, so if something is a little cheaper but way worst, I may not want it ; I just don't want to pay for something I wouldn't use to its fullest potential.

    submitted by /u/DrNanard
    [link] [comments]

    Flying with a PC and Two Monitors as Checked Luggage

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 12:11 PM PST

    I am flying across Canada and I need to bring my PC and two monitors with me.

    I will be putting my PC in a Samsonite as checked luggage. I'll remove the GPU and CPU cooler and put them in my carry on, or in another luggage.

    As for the 2 monitors, I have this Dual Screen Tote Bag with interior padding.

    I'll probably stuff the inside of the computer with bubble wrap and the outside with some clothes. Same for the monitors as well.

    And I'll ask the airline to place fragile stickers on both bags.

    Has anyone does something like this before? Does this sound like it would work? Any tips?

    submitted by /u/mhamid3d
    [link] [comments]

    Do I need a good pc case?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 12:09 PM PST

    I am new to pc building and have 2 questions? Do I need more than 16 gb of ram and the question that's in the title.

    submitted by /u/GAP648
    [link] [comments]

    Need recommendations on upgrading old PC (Budget)

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 09:23 AM PST

    I want to upgrade my old game pc. I put it away because it got issues. I've been out of the game for a while so I don't know what the "good parts" are these days.

    I want to replace these parts:

    Motherboard (ASROCK Z77 Fatal1ty) CPU (i7-2600k -> ???) RAM (DDR3 -> DDR4) SSD (SATA -> PCIE / m2)

    I'm willing to spend around €400 - €600, the cheaper the better. Just looking for the best value, so if spending a little more is the better move I'll do it.

    I might want to use it for streaming also.

    Current GPU is a 1050ti.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Bartthefart12
    [link] [comments]

    Best AIO to replace with AMD stock cooler?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 04:02 AM PST

    Title says it, I am currently using an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 and a MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB.

    Which AIO/liquid cooler would you recommend? Price doesn't really matter at this moment.

    submitted by /u/Mundane_Marionberry4
    [link] [comments]

    PC Keeps restarting, Please help!

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 11:58 AM PST

    Repost as i think my last post got lost in new

    So i had a bit of a problem a few months back with my cpu (Linked below) https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/jwix9u/computer_wont_boot_after_changing_cpu_cooler/

    Im still running the same cpu as the computer still works fine with it just duel channel with ram isnt working, Just waiting till i can get a hold of a ryzen 5 5600x to buy a new cpu.

    Anyway the problem im having is that my computer randomly restarts out of no where, It only happened twice in total, once yesterday and once earlier today im just wondering would it be possible that its my cpu or could it be my power supply, I think it could be my power supply but would like to get a second opinion before i go buying anything, (Note that my power supply is over 7 or 8 years old)

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/FalconPunch991
    [link] [comments]

    Is this a good deal on used gaming pc?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 11:52 AM PST

    Windows 10 Pro Edition (Activated)i5 3570 3.8Ghz TurboRx 480 (4gb) Vr Ready(Comparible to a GTX 1060)8gb of RAM2TB Hard drive (~2000gb)Comes with:

    DesktopGraphics CardWiFi AdapterPower CordRecovery USB

    Price: $400

    I am new to computers but would like to upgrade from consoles. Looking to buy a used computer with supply for parts at a high. I see "graphics card" is pretty ambiguous so I plan to ask about that. Is buying a used computer safe? Is this deal: good/bad/too go to be true? Thanks for any advice, I could really use it.

    submitted by /u/Papertrailsquid
    [link] [comments]

    980 TI CLASSIFIED Liquid Metal + Changed Fans

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 11:50 AM PST

    Hey,

    i'm making this post for google because i didn't find anything about this with a 980 ti classified before when i investigated myself and also because i'm seriously impressed by my results. This also applys to other cards. I especially like the method i found to secure the fans which i talk about below. I didn't want a getto card with just a heatsink and full fans tied to it but my method was just as easy and should work for most cards.

    I did apply liquid metal and changed the extremely loud stock fans to Noctua NF-A9 PWM's. I used those because they use a similarly low voltage as the stock fans, have high airflow and are silent. There aren't many options with those specs.

    Before i got 40C idle and 90+C with 100% fan speed after 3 seconds of furmark. I would stop the test after 95C usually which took like 10 - 15 seconds. There obviously was some problem with this card and i'm assuming it was the thermal paste.

    Now i get 30C idle and 67C max after 10 min furmark. The fans on 100% are as loud as the stock fans on 20%.

    If anyone wants to do this: It was pretty straightforward actually. I assumed it would be harder. The liquid metal part was just like with any other card. Since i only did find assumptions on the metal type of the heatsink i did test it myself by scratching the baseplate on its side. Below the silver metal is copper so it is one hundred percent nickel plated copper and thus suitable for liquid metal.

    For the fans you 'll need a PWM splitter and an adapter from PWM to the GPU PWM connector. I did stuff all of those in the gpu but you could shorten the wires by soldering also. You need to keep the cable down in the area where the fan spins and i did that by hooking it in a part of the gpu.

    The base of the fans didn't have to right dimension to screw them in the 3 screwholes for gpu fans like Timmy Joe PC Tech did in his video so i trimmed the base to the round part and sticked that on the card with those doublesided poster stickys. (the white ones) I would advise to remove any stickers on the back of the fans because they have less sticking strength than the poster sticky you stick them to and my fans fell off once because of that. I need to apply serious force with a screwdriver to get them off now so i think it is safe enough.

    I don't know how much better the liquid metal is than good thermal paste on this card but the fans are absolety worth it for silence. I think they generate an equal amount of airflow, since they are thicker than the stock fans which are extra slim, even though they spin at 2000rpm instead of 3000.

    Thanks for reading and good luck if you try this yourself.

    submitted by /u/Izrathagud
    [link] [comments]

    Is RTX 3080 worth it for this build?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 01:44 PM PST

    Hi people! So I built a PC recently, and I have bought a placeholder GTX 1080 Amp Extreme half price from a relative because I want an RTX card that can do the job for 4k RTX at 144+ fps. I preordered an RTX 3080, but would an RTX 2080 Ti do the job? It's available, but only half as 'powerful' as the 3080. I can still cancel the 3080 preorder, but I would rather keep the 3080. Can you tell me which one would be better for my pc?

    SPECS ——— Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming Wifi (i use a lot of usb slots and i will overclock my cpu quite heavily) AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 4x 8gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600mhz CL16 (32gb in total) XMP ENABLED Samsung 980 Pro 1TB m.2 7x Corsair ML120 RGB Pro Fans Corsair Lightning Node Pro + Corsair RGB Hub Corsair Commander Pro Seasonic Focus PX-850 850w 80+ Platinum Lian Li O11D-XL Silver ROG Edition Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360mm rad Thx :D

    submitted by /u/PogifierMC
    [link] [comments]

    SX8200 pro alternative?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 04:00 AM PST

    I am looking for the best value/performance SSD now that the ADATA fiasco has come to light. Would an SN750 be a good alternative?

    submitted by /u/tarquinus871
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment