• Breaking News

    Wednesday, December 2, 2020

    Build a PC: If you can't get a 3000 series card, Do this instead of buying a new GPU

    Build a PC: If you can't get a 3000 series card, Do this instead of buying a new GPU


    If you can't get a 3000 series card, Do this instead of buying a new GPU

    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 03:33 PM PST

    The chances of the majority of us getting a RTX 3000 Series card is super slim. Weeks ago I had bought an RTX 2070 off of Newegg that was overkill for what I needed since I was on a strict budget (have a baby, and got in trouble with the wife). I sold the card and picked up an RX 5600xt to play at 1440p 60fps.

    I think we have all been caught up in the latest and greatest, when in reality we can be patient until better deals come along. I put together some tricks that I have been using to hold me over for another 6-months to a year (or more preferably) until we can actually purchase a new card. Sometimes what we have is still great, and we just need to learn how to use it.

    The RX 5600xt is good for what I need, at medium to high settings in most games, and there may be some people who couldn't even upgrade. I think the toxicity of buying a new card and not being able to buy it blinds us from what we really want to do -PLAY GAMES and PRIORITIZING OUR TIME. Honestly, medium-high graphics look great for most games (IMO).

    Here are the tips:

    Use CRU to create a couple of custom resolutions for yourself. I game on a 1440p 32 inch screen. I have created a resolution of:

    • 2560*1080p: At my resolution this creates a 1080p ultrawide screen with letterbox. It's super crisp and kind of cinematic. This may not be as feasible on 24" 1080p screens. At 1440p 32" this creates a 24" ultrawide at 1080. At 1440p 27" this creates a 21" 1080p ultrawide.
    • 2048*1152 (80%): This is 80% of 1440p, couple this with Radeon image sharpening (RIS) at 60-80% and it is close to the native image. This can also be used with Nvidia Freestyle sharpening. Yes, DLSS is nice, but not every game supports it. The Contrast Adaptive sharpening features by AMD and Nvidia are both very nice, and can help to get crisper visuals.
    • 2176*1224 (85%):This is 85% of 1440p, and the same as above but a little crisper and closer to native.
    • If you play at 1080p try adjusting this to 900p or lower and using sharpening for best settings. You can view a list of true resolutions at Complete List of 16:9 Resolutions (levvvel.com) and download CRU at Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) (monitortests.com) .
    • Here is how to use Nvidia Sharpening filter(up to~5% performance impact): NVIDIA Image Sharpening Guide for DirectX, Vulkan, OpenGL! | Tech ARP
    • Here is how to use Radeon Image Sharpening(up to~2% performance impact): Configure Virtual Super Resolution & AMD Radeon™ Image Sharpening | AMD

    Also, make sure to compare and contrast in game resolution scaling to completely downscaling and upscaling from a lower resolution. I found that my monitor and graphics card did a better job upscaling to 1440p natively. The resolution scaler in games seemed to keep the native resolution, but did not upscale the image since it didn't recognize it as a lower resolution. Play around with it.

    Game setting tweaks:

    I have found that most settings are very marginal in difference until you get to medium and low, and even then you may find a mix of settings that still look good at low quality. The ones I recommend lowering are:

    • Antialiasing: Sometimes this doesn't need to be on at all, and takes a huge performance hit. I would advise lowering this if the game still looks good with it off. Sometimes the downscale and upscale method can help reduce aliasing after is it rendered at the native image as well.
    • Shadows: Some games look terrible with low shadows, but this is also big on performance, reduce this if you can pull it off, and if you must have it high consider the method above.
    • Ambient Occlusion or Effects: this can sometimes take a big hit as well. Play with it.

    I would recommend you play with everything and try to max out textures as much as you can without stutter, and keep shadows and AO high when you can. Some things like Screen Space Reflections can also take a hit, and settings vary each game. The point is that you invested in hardware and can stretch it very far before upgrading, so that you can buy something better in the future.

    Every year or two there are new cards, and the media tells you that your card is obsolete. It isn't, it is just getting older and you may have to set some settings to medium or low. Consoles have been doing this for years to hit a stable 30fps, and there is no reason we can't adopt these practices for 60fps. Even if things are not always optimized, there are ways to get a great looking image without paying $200-$500 more each year for the newest features while playing at minimum of 60fps.

    With the onset of New Consoles and GPUS, developers still know that the majority of gamers will remain at 1080p and the base PS4 and Xbox will probably be supported for 2-3 more years at 1080p and 900p respectively. This is more true since, and may be longer since new consoles are going to have staggered releases into mainstream consumers. These games will run on your hardware you just have to tweak it, and save your money. Focus on the gaming, go and buy some RGB or something to get yourself excited, but don't always shell out money when you don't need to.

    If we get so caught up on the best and greatest we lose the one commodity that we value the most TIME.

    • Spend time on important things. Searching for a new graphics card or console will not bring you anything right now, but disappointment and you will waste your time.
    • Buy a game, play it, enjoy it. Put on notifications for when GPUs are in stock or check the news periodically. However, do not obsess, because it will take a toll on your health and rob you of your time. They will be in stock one day, but don't worry about it for now.

    Before I upgraded my card, I was using an RX 580 8gb and was able to get pretty decent 1440p performance. The games I used these on were Red Dead Redemption 2, Mortal Shell, Code Vein, AC Odyssey, Watch Dogs 2, Mafia Definitive Edition, Watch Dogs Legion, AC Valhalla, Godfall. Some of these I tested afterward just for S**** &Giggles, but it worked, and looked good.

    Also, If you can invest in Freesync or G-Sync, it makes fps drops way more bearable. Freesync/G-Sync Compatibility fortunately can be enabled for Radeon and GTX 10-Series and above. See how to enable it at: How to enable NVIDIA G-Sync on a FreeSync display | Windows Central

    TLDR: There are some tips in this post to prolong the life of your graphics card, while you wait to buy something newer and better. Read the bold sections.

    submitted by /u/Hot_Ad505
    [link] [comments]

    3080 + 5600x not performing at potential

    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 02:51 PM PST

    Just built a pc with the following parts and I am not getting near the benchmark videos I see on youtube.

    Ryzen 5 5600x

    EVGA ftw3 ultra 3080

    asus tuf x570 pro

    corsair vengeance 32gb 3200mhz cl16

    noctua nhu12a cooler

    phanteks p500a

    rm 850x psu

    wd black sn750 500gb m.2

    wd blue 2tb sata3 m.2

    here is the user benchmark

    Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) Performance Results - UserBenchmark

    The lower framerates are very noticeable in lower demanding games like Doom eternal and overwatch (1440p) where I should be easily getting ~250 fps, but I only get 160 fps ish with it dropping all the way to 120. Flight sim gives me half the frames I should be getting (20-30fps). 3080 driver is up to date.

    Any help is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/ChanTaterz
    [link] [comments]

    Newegg is allowing 3rd Party Scammers on their platform to be the default option for WEEKS.

    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 07:09 PM PST

    Buddy of mine ordered a bunch of PC parts and instead of their items...They received an envelope that matched their tracking number on Newegg, that said their product is on the way and to email a random gmail account. Newegg has dozens of reviews with the same thing and their response has been to deal with the seller because it says it arrived.

    Pay attention to who your buying from. These guys have over a thousand listings.

    https://www.newegg.com/American-Sales/about

    submitted by /u/XIGRIMxREAPERIX
    [link] [comments]

    Did i destroy my CPU!? My Story

    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 06:01 PM PST

    Hey guys this is my first post on reddit and i hope this is the right place for my problem. English is not my native language so bare with me please :( Wall of text down there i would still be happy for any help of you guys so lets get to it !!

    i start with my specs: MOTHERBOARD: msi a320 m2 v2 pro RAM: corsair 16gb ram (2x8) GRAPHICSCARD: amd rx 570 CPU: ryzen 5 2600 CPU COOLER: be quiet pure rock 2 (new) ssd 240 gb hdd 2 tb 550watt aerocool psu

    So today i got my new cpu cooler the be quiet pure rock 2 because i wanted to change the stock cooler for lower noise first time i watched some videos on how to do it but real beginner here. The first problem i had was to remove the stock cooler i removed the fan and tried to unscrew the heatsink which i couldnt the screws where only halfway loose so i twisted and pulled it and yeah what happened was the cpu was on the heatsink. i used 70% alcohol to get the cpu off which worked pretty well then i cleaned the cpu and saw that some pins are bent.. i shit my pants and was like ok i can fix this and carefully tried to get them straight with a toothpick and pincers i think i didnt even move them because i was so scared so i prayed to god and said its only like 4 outer pins this will be fine. Next step was to put the clean cpu back in place i was confused on how to put it in i know their is like an arrow on the edge of the cpu and on the motherboard but i am still not 100% sure if i put it right i dont know if it helps if i describe it put if you look straight in my case i put the cpu logo on the left side so i turned it 90 degrees around i made sure it is tigh in the socket by lifting it upside down and it stayed in. So know i was like great it still fits in somehow kinda.Now i tried to install the cpu cooler i shorten my story off this i did it wrong got nervous sweaty hands when i tried to screw it in and by accident the screwer flew out my hands into my motherboard so i basically stabbed it but i think its all good there is no hole or anything so i put the tower with preapplied thermal paste on it but i installed it false so i had a mental breakdown. i pull the tower out and guess what the cpu is on the heatsink on my new cooler too but i got it off easy only problem the thermal paste was a bit messed up i cleaned the sides from the cpu as much as i could and installed the cooler the right way i did it in 4 hours i am the best i said to myself with a nervous tone because i still wasnt sure if it would turn on now lets get it going i made sure my ram is in all cables everything i stick the last cable in the power cable and was scared to press the start button after 2 minutes i did it the fans are spinning wow i stand up look at my screens and see nothing happens my keyboard isnt on my mouse is lighting in a weird way and the cool rainbow led from my pc isnt lighting either. I am destroyed i turn my pc off and check again all cables put my ram out and back in again i shake the cpu tower a bit to see if i can get the cpu maybe in a right spot. I turned it on again and still the same i am broken the last resort is getting help for my special case on reddit so i am writing this post with sweaty ass hands crying eating oreo cookies.

    Basically i am done for today i want to know what else can i do i am not sure if i can bent the cpu pins back in place because i think thats the problem. I dont know if a local shop can help me with that as they are fishy and often want a lot of money for little stuff they do. I really dont wanna buy a new cpu because i dont have much money right now as i am in a second lockdown due to covid and uninstalling and installing the cooler again is a big pain in my ass i know i have to do it nevertheless but right now i am not in the state i go to sleep soon and get new energy.

    I am grateful for anyone reading my shit and for trying to help my stupid ass with a comment. Sorry for my bad grammar and any spelling mistakes i wrote it all of my phone. If i forget something to tell you or you want some pics from the cpu or whatever write it because i dont know how to attach pics in here.

    love u

    submitted by /u/BIGGPAPILOCSTAA
    [link] [comments]

    My New Pc Crashes

    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 05:00 PM PST

    Pc crashing

    I built a pc a couple month ago and it has been crashing for a month or 2. Sometimes it crashes a ton like every 15 mins. Sometimes it goes hours with out crashing with 2 games open. I've tried replugging in the psu and checking the connections. It crashes anytime from being on a google document to playing a game to doing nothing. I have an Rtx 2060 super, a Ryzen 3600, asus prim b550m motherboard, and a Cooler master master watt 650 watt power supply. I tried reinstalling windows

    submitted by /u/Ksafari
    [link] [comments]

    New build not posting

    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 06:42 PM PST

    Issue - VRAM debug lights are on, saying RAM not connected even though they light up. Code says 0d(or P0 if flipped) which don't exist in the manual, and also shows A6 code momentarily sometimes meaning SCSI devices not detected(not sure what those are).

    Steps taken -

    1. took out all RAMs and put them in again
    2. took out 2 RAMs, and put them in B2 and A2
    3. Tried different set of RAMs in B2 and A2
    4. put RAMs in the alternate slots (didn't think that would make a difference anyways)
    5. unplugged PSU out of everything and plugged them back in
    6. Cleared cmos

    Specs-

    Ryzen 7 5800x

    X570 Aorus Master

    Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB

    RTX 3080

    This is my friend's build and I'm helping him build it. This will be my 3rd build, so I don't have a lot of experience.

    submitted by /u/ClassicISTP
    [link] [comments]

    My Ryzen 5600x is only stable if all cores set to 4.2GHz or if four cores disabled. Bad CPU or bad board (Aorus b550i pro ax)?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 06:42 PM PST

    CPU: Ryzen 5600x Cooler: Coolermaster 212 w/two Arctic P12 in push/pull MB: Gigabyte b550i pro ax (itx) F11k 11/25/20 GPU: Evga 1650 Super PSU: Corsair sf600 RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB 3600 C16

    After finishing my build, it was perfectly stable for maybe a week. No OC other than XMP enabled. Temps were normal, always in the 40s @ idle, mid 70s max during games or benchmarks. Then it froze and BSOD suddenly while playing a game. It then wouldn't restart into windows. Just BSOD every time. It would even BSOD when trying to re-install windows off the usb drive. I did a ton of testing, even testing every component (except cpu, mb and ram) in my old computer. After disabling all but 1 core, I finally managed to get through a fresh windows install. So just because, I took everything apart and reseated everything I reflashed my BIOS to the latest version (F11k dated 11/25/20)...and BSOD again.

    Went back down to 1 core and tried everything combination of settings I could think of amd the only way I can get it stable is to either disable 4 cores (downcore set to (2+0)) or if I manually set the multiplier to 42x and vcore to 1.35. Turning on XMP doesn't seem to make things any worse or better, but I've left it off for now.

    So either way, I'm not able to use this cpu to even its stock potential. If I can only use it with two cores or all cores locked to 4.2GHz or less, kinda defeats the benefits of this new CPU. Also, Ryzen Master reports my clock speeds to be 100-200MHz and other weird values, HWinfo and everything else shows the same clock and voltage values as the BIOS.

    Does this mean the cpu is bad? The only component I haven't swapped out are the cpu, psu and mobo. I have a replacement board coming on Friday and I'll get the psu replaced next if that doesn't work, but with no 5600x in stock I'm not even going to bother trying dealing with Newegg for a replacement.

    submitted by /u/jlotu
    [link] [comments]

    A solution for people who's GPU is not being detected by nvidia or the device manager, or being detected as "Unplugged"

    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 06:42 PM PST

    Try updating your motherboards' BIOS. I made a post on here a month ago wondering why my GPU was not being detected in the bios (Z490 Vision G). Turns out, for some odd reason the BIOS they sent as default was not detecting my graphics card. I tried tons of "fixes" such as changing my pcie slot, changing bios setting from "UEFI" to "Legacy", disabling IGPU, changing psu cables, all to no fix.

    And welp.... all I had to do was update my bios from (I think) "F3" to the latest "F6", and everything worked like it normally should have. I'm not sure if this will work for you, but hopefully your issue is fixable in the same way as mine.

    submitted by /u/Yakiiamo
    [link] [comments]

    Building a PC for my dad

    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 05:09 PM PST

    Christmas is coming up and I want to get my dad a Gaming PC. He has loved playing Skyrim, and Zelda: Breath of the Wild for years now and really wants a system that can actually play modern games on his TV instead of being relegated to his older consoles.

    I am really tempted to go through and just spend 1000 bucks on one of the build guides on PcPartPicker for him but I am worried I really don't know what I am looking at and we'll have to upgrade a bunch of the components or it won't work when we are putting it together on Christmas day there.

    My budget is about 1000 bucks but I'd like to stay under that if I can. Do any of you have recommended tips or tricks here or resources you'd recommend I read to be able to give the best present possible to my dad?

    I'm currently looking at going with something like this:

    One other thing that would be really good to do would be able to find a way to keep the form factor of the case a bit smaller but that is a nice to have and isn't a requirement.

    submitted by /u/Comic-Derpinator
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment