• Breaking News

    Friday, November 27, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - November 27, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - November 27, 2020


    Simple Questions - November 27, 2020

    Posted: 27 Nov 2020 04:11 AM PST

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    New builders - take your time to really decide on your pc parts

    Posted: 27 Nov 2020 06:19 AM PST

    For some background, I just built my first pc about a month and a half ago. I got excited about the idea and found all of my pieces probably within a day. I was using PC part picker and had no idea what I was doing really. Well now now I've already replaced and resold my CPU, GPU, PSU, fans and if it wasn't such a hassle to swap out the case, I'd do that too.

    Take your time and don't rush things. Think your build through. If you want to go for a cheaper option, really think if it's worth it. You'll save yourself a lot of money by being sure of what you're getting.

    submitted by /u/aarnol17
    [link] [comments]

    My PC just turned 10 years old, so I made a timeline of all of its parts

    Posted: 27 Nov 2020 09:13 AM PST

    The timeline.

    I've used the same gaming PC since around Black Friday of 2010. Nearly all of it has been upgraded, putting it in Ship of Theseus territory.

    I had to do some serious email spelunking to find all of the receipts, but I got nearly all of them [1]. It spanned three email addresses, five retailers, and several text chains (for used parts).

    A few notes:

    • The only consistent parts are my PSU, storage, and MX518. What a workhorse.
    • The 1070 was a replacement for the 980 Ti after an RMA.
    • Total cost over 10 years: $3730.65.

    Here's the earliest photo I could find of the tower from 2010. Only blue LEDs because RGB wasn't in style yet.

    And a recent good photo of my whole setup. It's not the cleanest, but this is a pretty accurate representation of daily use. The crafting stuff is for dice making.

    [1] Except the Razer keyboard and my first monitor (I'm sure I used one. But I can't figure out what it was)

    submitted by /u/beekxyz
    [link] [comments]

    My outrun/vaporware aesthetic build is complete.

    Posted: 27 Nov 2020 07:31 AM PST

    Couldn't travel to meet my family for Thanksgiving due to COVID so I spent the day finishing my build.
    All this started after I managed to snatch up a 3080 3 weeks ago and been itching to upgrade my whole system( had a 6700k with 1070).

    https://imgur.com/a/Q1VN7tP

    https://streamable.com/5ebijg

    submitted by /u/Saltycow
    [link] [comments]

    Wish I had listened when people said don't smoke around PC.

    Posted: 27 Nov 2020 01:57 PM PST

    This seems even daft to type as we all go Duh.

    But I can't even believe how much build up was on my fans after opening and cleaning, I'd only just built it this year and already my fans was fucking sticky and that brown dust looking stuff (bluhh). Knocked me sick to my stomach for multiple reasons, my computer... my lungs, damn man. I need to quit.

    Anybody got any tips on how to get that sticky feeling off a coolermaster cpu block? I've tried do most with the fans elsewhere and case, but this was an eye opener and I've certainly learnt my lesson.

    I'm going to start quitting now, and if I smoke it's outside. Livid with myself for even allowing either myself or others to smoke around it.

    submitted by /u/JugsAndTugs
    [link] [comments]

    Absolute noob: Is my cpu fan orientation correct?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2020 05:34 AM PST

    I'm building my very first PC and trying not to make any idiotic mistakes. Right out the gate, I'm faced with a dilema. It appears that my be quiet! cpu cooler can only be clipped horizontally. I tried everything but the copper tubes will not let me clip it on to my B550M motherboard if I have it face the RAM slots. Therefore I can either have the cpu fan closest to the top of the case, or closest to the RTX 2080 Super card that I have. I decided to have it face down towards the GPU, no idea if I'm doing the right thing. Right now, my case only has one fan that faces the rear and nothing attached to the top.

    Can you guys give a hopeless noob some advice and how I can best work with what I have? I could order a cheap fan somewhere and mount it to the top but I honestly have no idea if I should, or if my current position is acceptable. Any help would be sooooooo much appreciated!

    EDIT: forgot to mention that my case is a Thermaltake Versa H18

    CPU fan mounted horizontally

    Can't clip it vertically I feel like I might have goofed when I chose this cooler :S

    submitted by /u/Volkov07
    [link] [comments]

    TIL - AMD Ryzen Chipset Drivers

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 11:44 PM PST

    Today I learned that Ryzen has chipset drivers for Windows that can be downloaded to streamline and improve your experience. I built my first Ryzen (R5-3600) system three months ago and I had never heard this was even a thing until JayzTwoCents showed it in a video today.

    Somehow there are 47 posts about how to get a Wraith Prism to do prettier RGB, but this... never mentioned.

    That's all. That's the post.

    submitted by /u/AnubianWolf
    [link] [comments]

    Do we know when the 3070 will be back in stock?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2020 03:22 PM PST

    Hi, I am wondering if anyone knows when the 3070 will be back in stock on newegg or other sites? I tried searching it up and I am finding it difficult to find and some sort of date of when it will be back in stock.

    submitted by /u/bruhmoment1285
    [link] [comments]

    Which (cheap) GPU Card should I buy for 1440p

    Posted: 27 Nov 2020 11:55 AM PST

    Since I can't get a 3080 or a 6800 xt for reasonable price. I was wondering which card should I buy as a "place holder". I have all my parts and the only thing missing is the GPU. I sadly cannot wait until next year (wenn the stock actually comes) I need a pc now. Would rx 5700 xt be a good option?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/xMcCreamyx
    [link] [comments]

    I was able to score a 5800X, but I understand they are a little on the toasty side. Can you recommend an AIO?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2020 08:34 AM PST

    So, I'm either going with Noctua's NH-U12A which is basically the 120mm equivalent of their 140mm NH-D15. But, I might consider an AIO, which I know nothing about. Who makes the best, no compromises AIO? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Ferrum-Regit
    [link] [comments]

    i7 9700k for $200 in Microcenter

    Posted: 27 Nov 2020 09:58 AM PST

    Hello everyone,

    I am currently still running on DDR3 PC system and planning to upgrade this year or so. I check Microcenter has a very decent deal for the i7 9700k for $200. I want to know how long will the i7 9700k last in the future? 3 or 5 years? I usually have emulator, one game, and few software running at the sametime and my i5 4690k is on the edge of 100% usage everytime.

    Please let me know if the i7 9700k is a great deal and upgrade for $200. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/StudentWu
    [link] [comments]

    Help! I was removing the GPU and forgot to pull the lever of the PCIx16 slot and now it's stuck

    Posted: 27 Nov 2020 12:06 PM PST

    It's half in and half out and it doesn't let me push the lever anymore

    submitted by /u/Gondololikescheese
    [link] [comments]

    75 hz or 144hz for AAA games?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2020 01:45 AM PST

    I'm looking to buy a new monitor, either the MSI G241vc 75hz IPS or the HP 25x 144hz TN one. I mostly play AAA games where I don't really get above 80fps anyway and I was wondering is the TN 144hz worth it over an IPS that 70$ cheaper.

    submitted by /u/bmilanka123
    [link] [comments]

    Need more stable Framerate while playing games

    Posted: 27 Nov 2020 01:59 PM PST

    Hello guys, I think its time for me to upgrade my PC

    i know what i want to upgrade based off the game i always play which is gears 5.

    Currently my CPU sits at 100% alot of the time while im playing and causes me to drop frames constantly.

    can you guys recommend a good cpu that wont bottleneck my PC and so I wont have to overspend

    heres my specs:

    Edit: , so if anyone can also recommend a budget friendly tower and RAM (id like to upgrade to 16gb) i would really appreciate it.

    CPU

    Intel Core i5 6500 @ 3.20GHz Skylake 14nm Technology 

    RAM

    8.00GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1066MHz 

    Motherboard

    Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. B150M-DS3H-CF (U3E1) 

    Graphics

    HDIM1 (2560x1440@144Hz) 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (ZOTAC International) 
    submitted by /u/josephpage160
    [link] [comments]

    Should I just pay extra?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2020 12:09 PM PST

    So I'm looking to get either a 2070S or a 3070. But they're both being scalped like hell, and on eBay I see the 3070 being about $50 more than any 2070S.

    Should I just pay the premium for a 3070 card ? I'm not sure I can wait anymore.

    submitted by /u/Andrew__IE
    [link] [comments]

    Final build recommendations

    Posted: 27 Nov 2020 12:09 PM PST

    Been trying to build for a while now and have finally gotten around to it. Here is the list https://pcpartpicker.com/user/005boo/saved/hjgVwP . Any suggestions before I start buying?

    submitted by /u/BubbaTheCarrot
    [link] [comments]

    please help with building a PC for my boyfriend

    Posted: 27 Nov 2020 02:54 PM PST

    hello !! my bf's pc is outdated and it's holding him back from fully enjoying the games we/he plays. i've suggested he should get a better PC but his response is usually something like "don't talk shit abt my pc like that we've been through a lot" and "i'm not gonna go pro or anything it's just 4fun", but i remember him alluding that's his ancient PC is the reason he's stuck in immortal on val + he can't run certain games that well

    tldr; want him to be able to play valorant at 144 fps (but slightly lower is fine) 1080p at med/high setting

    • his current specs: gpu - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 T / ram - 8GB / cpu - intel core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60 GHz 3.60 GHz / mobo - ASRock H81M-DGS R2.0 / monitor - 60 Hz

    alongside valorant he wants to run apex legends smoothly. will also be playing maplestory, league of legends etc. buying the parts from melbourne, australia. this is the buildmeapc post if you want more info !! this is a build suggested by someone: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/NmKZ2V. is this build fine? wondering it it's the best 'bang for your buck' or could there be improvements? the budget is 1~1.5k AUD but can afford to go higher if it's worth the investment. the games listed above are the only games he avidly plays

    submitted by /u/dearsora
    [link] [comments]

    Monitor upgrade with GTX 1070?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2020 09:05 AM PST

    I'm very tempted to upgrade my monitor, Its a basic 1080p, 75hz 27 inch. I'm wondering if it would be worth the upgrade with my rig? I have gtx 1070, ryzen 7 2700x. I want to have an excuse to get a 4k monitor but is that even worth it if i most likely can't even game in 4k? Should i just get a 144z or 4k 144hz? Or 4k 60hz? I've heard 144hz is amazing compared to 75, but wondering if i would be missing out by not buying 4k or 1440p.

    submitted by /u/RedBoatt
    [link] [comments]

    Is the the Asus TUF X570-Plus good to pair up with Ryzen 9 5900x?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2020 02:06 PM PST

    I'm getting a high end build and this mobo is really the only thing I'm not sure of.

    submitted by /u/D0ggy_
    [link] [comments]

    Any tips for a cable managing non modular PSU build? No shroud and limited back panel space?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2020 01:50 PM PST

    I wanna re cable manage my pc because of my ocd but I actually just enjoyed building it and want an excuse to open it. Any way the cable management is sort of ass and I would appreciate any advice. I think the case is a thermal tale versa H15

    submitted by /u/NotYourOperator
    [link] [comments]

    Building my first PC, am i choosing the right components?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2020 01:35 PM PST

    Hello people! First time posting on this subreddit - also the first time iam planning to build a PC from scratch. as iam pretty unknowledgable in terms of hardware, i planned out a List of Components with a friend of mine who knows more about this stuff. He told me its always a good idea to let the people of this subreddit take a look at it :). so these are the parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wyNNy4 - they should be compatible, but as experts, does something odd catch ur eye lookin over this or does it look alright?

    Iam happy and thankful for answers!

    submitted by /u/Phiinniixx
    [link] [comments]

    Help with choosing motherboard

    Posted: 27 Nov 2020 09:39 AM PST

    Hey there, I am building my first gaming pc and need some advice. I am going to be buying a ryzen 3100 and I need some good motherboards that will work straight out of the box without needing to update the BIOS (I think that's what it's called) Thanks!

    Edit: So I found this motherboard on amazon for a pretty good price, would it work out? https://www.amazon.ca/Gigabyte-MicroATX-Digital-Interfaces-Motherboard/dp/B08F7J8XTV/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pl_foot_top?ie=UTF8

    submitted by /u/pcnoob13131
    [link] [comments]

    is a GTX 1660 good with a r5 2600?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2020 01:19 PM PST

    What the title says

    submitted by /u/Apprehensive_Cloud39
    [link] [comments]

    Don't buy a PC right now. (And some tips to still buy wisely)

    Posted: 27 Nov 2020 01:18 PM PST

    Today was Black Friday, the day of deals. You'd expect it to be the perfect time of the year to order all the parts for your brand new gaming rig. After all, who doesn't want a fat discount on PC parts?

    DON'T DO IT

    I will start by explaining the things going on right now and then I'll explain what you should and should not buy right now.

    What's going on?
    2020 has been a great year for gaming. With AMD's new CPUs and GPUs and Nvidia's new GPUs as well it has been a perfect year to upgrade your rig or build your very first one. However, it is also a year where we have been met with the rise of scalpers: People who (use bots to) buy new products in bulk then resell them for a higher price on websites like eBay. This isn't illegal, however, it is generally regarded as an incredible scummy move.
    The scalping has it's consequences: Every new product is currently out of stock. Everywhere. You may still be able to order them, but chances are you're going to be waiting for weeks or even months before your order actually gets delivered. To put it simply: There are not enough goods.

    Additionally, with Black Friday deals going on right now, there are WAY more people buying stuff than is otherwise normal. This, also, results in products being out of stock.

    Then why should I not buy parts at all?
    Alongside products being out of stock, other products are also rapidly rising in price: Which brings me to the main point of this post: Do not buy CPUs or GPUs right now. There are also other products like RAM and SSD's that are rising in price right now, but it's mostly CPUs and GPUs.

    Let me give you an example:
    The Ryzen 5 3600 was originally available for €199 in the Netherlands. Over the last few weeks, this has gone up to €240 on average.
    The RTX 2060 was originally available for around €319 in the Netherlands. Over the last few days, this has gone up to €360 on average.

    This just gives you an idea of how much these Black Friday sales are impacting sale prices right now, and some new buyers aren't aware of it.

    So... When do I buy parts?
    If you don't need a PC right now, wait a few weeks for prices to drop / products to come back in stock.
    If, however, you do already want to buy parts right now, here are some tips on what you should buy right now, and what you should hold off on buying:

    What you CAN buy right now:

    • Motherboards
    • Cases
    • Coolers
    • Power supplies
    • HDD's

    These are components that have a wider range of stock or are easier and faster to produce. Their prices are not really (if at all) inflated right now and you can order these just fine.

    What you should NOT buy right now:

    • CPUs
    • SSD's
    • GPUs

    These components however are more niche and only have a few manufacturers. Some of them are currently out of stock and have their prices inflated a LOT (CPUs and GPUs in particular).
    SSDs are kind of inflated, too, however, some of them have really good deals right now so it's a bit of a grey area.

    As a last word: I'm not an experienced salesperson, I don't know economics, these are just the things I observed in the last few days/weeks and felt I needed to share.
    Stay safe and be careful with what you order.

    submitted by /u/Lapraniteon
    [link] [comments]

    Can I get away with a 1050w power supply here?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2020 03:27 PM PST

    I'm looking to go cheaper if I can and I'm not sure if 1300w is needed. I'm getting an ElgatoHD60 soon too. https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/wkDzZZ

    submitted by /u/Xeira_games
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment