• Breaking News

    Thursday, October 15, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - October 15, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - October 15, 2020


    Simple Questions - October 15, 2020

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 05:09 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    /r/buildapc hits 3 MILLION subscribers!

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 05:02 AM PDT

    Hello PC builders - all three million of you!

    2020 hasn't exactly been a vintage year so far, but it's heartening to see quite so many people getting involved both with their own hardware and with helping others on /r/buildapc.

    We're genuinely proud to be part of a community that, despite its size, has held on to its spirit of generosity and patience in helping others. That's pretty rare, and it's all down to you, your altruism and your presumably crippling fear of buyer's remorse.

    No grand giveaways or announcements this time (though rest assured we've got a few things planned over the coming months), just a big old thank you from the modteam to the community. Keep doing what you're doing, and we'll try not to break anything on our end.

    /r/buildapc modteam

    submitted by /u/OolonCaluphid
    [link] [comments]

    I feel so dumb

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 07:06 AM PDT

    I woke up this morning 2 hours early to try and get the 3070 Founder's Edition without knowing the release date was changed. Also, isn't it coming out at 6am Oct. 29?

    submitted by /u/Cyanomey
    [link] [comments]

    First ever pc build!

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 08:50 AM PDT

    This is my first ever pc build what ye guys think?

    First ever pc build https://imgur.com/gallery/ZoZdBDE

    submitted by /u/kok9865
    [link] [comments]

    Why do none of you buy Windows?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 07:20 AM PDT

    When looking at the partpicker links that people post here i notice that almost nobody includes windows 10. So how do you guys get your operating system?

    edit: Rule number 3, alright guys i get it. thank you

    submitted by /u/seknight201
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice on new 3080 build

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 03:26 AM PDT

    Planning on building a new PC. Waiting to get a 3080 and maybe the 5600x. The aim of the pc is mainly for gaming and some coding. Around 2k euro budget excluding the monitor. Can you give me your opinions on the build so far? (new edited build) https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/4pnsYg

    submitted by /u/Salochin8
    [link] [comments]

    I Have NO Idea What I'm Doing

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 10:35 AM PDT

    I know nothing about PCs. I heard about pcpartpicker, figured that compatible products means it doesn't matter too much just pick one. Posted on their forum and the only comments were "just no". So, feel free to roast, but also some guidance would be great! Would like to keep case and Ryzen 7 but everything else I'm not tied to. I like RGB parts too obviously lol. Thanks in advance! https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LXNXLP 1st Edit: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kBgXHz 2nd Edit (just added SSD): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XzsYrr

    submitted by /u/justadood2
    [link] [comments]

    Uh Oh! First Time builder here putting together a list got an incompatibility I don't understand

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 12:08 PM PDT

    Uh Oh! First Time builder here putting together a list got an incompatibility I don't understand

    be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ATX Mid Tower Case has a front-panel USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C port, but the Asus TUF B450-PLUS GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard does not have sufficient USB 3.2 Gen 2 or Gen 1 headers. The case USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C port will not be usable.

    Would this stop my motherboard and case from being able to connect, the case has a front panel USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A and the motherboard has 2, 2.0's and 1, 3.2 gen 1. Will it still be able to function or will it hinder the performance to an undesirable point. Any recommendations for substitute parts of similar price and effectiveness?

    submitted by /u/WindScyNekro
    [link] [comments]

    Is this a good pc for the next few years

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 08:13 AM PDT

    Will my system be able to handle an ultrawide?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 12:34 PM PDT

    I have a r5 3600, RX 580 8GB, and 2x8 3000mhz RAM. Will this be able to support an ultrawide? 3440x1440 or just 2560x1080? what kind of performance should I excpect?

    submitted by /u/brododragon
    [link] [comments]

    Gpu or cpu?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 12:10 PM PDT

    Should I run a 2600 with a 1660 super or a 3600 with a 1650 super? I'm using this pc for games like fortnite, rocket league and valorant

    submitted by /u/Glyph_Kush
    [link] [comments]

    Moving Windows to an SSD

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 09:51 AM PDT

    So i read some things online about moving and cloning your HDD to your SSD. SO i Hve a 2 TB HDD right now and thinking of getting an SSD to smoothen things with windows and games, my problem however is that I dont know if I can copy windows over to the SSD. Im planning on getting a 500gb SSD and ahve read that to clone, your SSD need to be bigger than your HDD or atleast the files. But my HDD has about 1.5tb of files. Is there any way to jsut copy over the OS or soemthing similar since I dont actually need every game to run on SSD? Any help or solution is extremely appreciated

    submitted by /u/cowder
    [link] [comments]

    what;s the price of the RTX 3080 IN ur country cuz in mine it's ~ 1100 $ USD

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 12:14 AM PDT

    what;s the price of the RTX 3080 IN ur country cuz in mine it's ~ 1100 $ USD ?

    the msi version is 1100 the palit is like 1000$ we never get the founders editions here ...

    is it 700$ in ur countries like nvidia said ?

    Meanwhile the RTX3090 is like 2280 $ USD when it should be like 1500 LMAO

    submitted by /u/b0ne-
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen 9 3900X or Ryzen 7 5800X

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 10:28 AM PDT

    I'm currently in the process of buying parts to build my first PC. I'll mostly be using the PC for gaming and uni work which is a lot of graphic design and video editing etc. I'm in no rush to build my PC and was set on waiting for the new 5000 series Ryzen CPUs to be released and get a Ryzen 7 5800X but I've just seen the Ryzen 9 3900X is currently £397 (£100 off) on amazon and I'm wondering which would be better? On single core performance the New 7 looks to be better but the Ryzen 9 seems to out perform in multicore.

    I am so unbelievably indecisive, please help!!

    submitted by /u/Jonny1975Healy
    [link] [comments]

    Is this prince for a graphics card good

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 12:57 PM PDT

    do you think a MSI NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1650 Super Ventus XS OC Graphics Card 4GB for £159 is good

    submitted by /u/James191522
    [link] [comments]

    Is an exhaust fan necessary?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 09:58 AM PDT

    When building a pc is an exhaust fan necessary. My case is the Icue 220t

    Edit: Thanks for the support everyone

    submitted by /u/Redd_Vern
    [link] [comments]

    Computer wont turn on, tried everything please help

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 12:21 PM PDT

    Background: Had:

    Rosewill micro atx case

    gt 730

    pentium g3220

    antec 450w psu

    1tb sata hard drive

    some random disc drive

    4gb of ddr3 ram

    asus micro atx lga 1150 mobo forgot name

    Now Have:

    Same Rosewill micro atx case

    asus h110-K lga 1151 mobo

    gtx 1650

    i3 9100f

    antec 450w psu / evga W3 450w gpu

    same hard drive

    same disc drive

    8gb ddr4 ram

    I had a crappy old computer I built 5 years ago so now its time to build a new one. I put together everything and threw away old parts. cpu came in 2 weeks late so I had everything sitting there for 1.5weeks (with antec power supply) until cpu came. I put the cpu in and it would not turn on, nothing whatsoever happened when I pressed the power button.

    I discovered I put the power switch on the wrong pins on the mobo (power sw) and put it on the correct pins

    Tried again, still literally nothing. I took out all psu plugs and put them back in, made sure it was turned on, made sure the power strip I used was working (it was) and nothing ever happened still.

    I read reviews of my psu saying it dies a lot so I fid the paperclip test and literally nothing happened (it failed), so I immediately drove to best buy to buy a new 450w psu. keep in mind 2 weeks ago the antec was working perfectly.

    I just put it all in and plugged everything again and, AGAIN WITH A NEW PSU, nothing happened at all. I then ran the paperclip test on the psu I bought 20 minutes ago and nothing.

    I have no idea what the hell is going on, did I fry both my psu's upon installation?

    To ground myself I would just touch my case constantly as that worked on my 2015 build.

    I find it really hard to believe these parts are so fucking fragile that I fried them both upon installation someone please help me.

    edit: my psu was on and I reseated the 24 pin 5 times each psu

    submitted by /u/Dead_pacjax
    [link] [comments]

    If you can grab a 27" 1440p monitor for cheap, you should definitely go for it!

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 10:39 AM PDT

    Let me just say, I am mindBLOWN. What I had before was a BenQ ZOWIE XL2411P and some noname 60hz 1080p monitors. I got a Viewsonic VX2758-2KP-MHD 144hz 1440p monitor on Prime Day for 210€ and it arrived like 3 hours ago. I set it all up and I am without words. I probably need some time to adjust when gaming especially in FPS games but oh my god, this is just on another level. I can highly recommend getting a 1440p monitor if you have a decent graphics cards!

    submitted by /u/ellisonice
    [link] [comments]

    I have a $2000 Amazon gift card from work. Never had a gaming pc before therefore my building knowledge is non existent. Should I build from scratch through Amazon or just admit defeat and buy a pre built?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 12:03 PM PDT

    If the latter, what pc would you choose? Thanks everyone!!

    submitted by /u/sgtstinkypinky
    [link] [comments]

    An update crash? AMD Radeon Adrenalin 2020 edition update

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 10:25 AM PDT

    It started by me trying to fix FPS drop. I've downloaded LoL awhile back and then moved it to HDD as I wasn't playing it. A few weeks ago, I picked it up and started playing again. Today I moved it to my SSD to speed up the boot time. The problem was that my FPS rate dropped significantly - from minimum of 220fps to 25fps. This made no sense.

    After quick googling, I've decided to upgrade my graphics cards as this was suggested by a few post even tho it was under different circumstances.

    Anyways, I open Radeon software and I think in Performance tab saw an update - Radeon Adrenalin 2020 update. It started to install and at the end gave me an option to restart which I did. My screen went black immediately and my GPU sounds like a jet engine right now. It's been like this for now about 15 min - nothing is happening. Wtf do I do now?

    There is a red light on my motherboard now as well ( I'm not sure if it was there before) - VGA light.

    Please help.

    Ryzen 5 3600

    Radeon RX5700 xt thicc III

    MSI B450 gaming plus max

    Edit:

    Fixed now. Just needed to force shut it and then turning it on was no problem and booted it up with no issues.

    FPS issue is also fixed and improved a little.

    submitted by /u/dan_928374
    [link] [comments]

    After 10 years of < 30fps macbook gaming I'm looking for help with my first PC build - aiming for something relatively beastly and future-proof, for both gaming and game development.

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 02:05 PM PDT

    Build Help/Ready:

    Have you read the sidebar and rules? (Please do)

    Yes

    What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better.

    The only PC game I play currently is WoW, so at a minimum I'd like to be able to max that out at high FPS (I have played on the lowest settings for about 10 years). I want the PC to be future-proof for most other games for a good 5 years at least.

    I also do a bit of game development in my spare time, so I'd like it to be able to run Unity and Unreal no problem. And with game development comes things like Blender - although I don't have any experience with that yet, it would be nice to know that I could at least handle middle-of-the-road jobs on it.

    If gaming, what kind of performance are you looking for? (Screen resolution, framerate, game settings)

    I recently bought a 1440p 165Hz monitor, and I'd like as high a framerate as possible - probably minimum of 100. Max game settings across most games.

    What is your budget (ballpark is okay)?

    £2000

    In what country are you purchasing your parts?

    United Kingdom

    Post a draft of your potential build here (specific parts please). Consider formatting your parts list. Don't ask to be spoonfed a build (read the rules!).

    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/D7P6Xb

    Provide any additional details you wish below.

    As mentioned above I am very new to PC gaming. I've wanted to build one for years, and am lucky enough to finally be in a position to splash out on one. I'm aiming for a high-end machine, around the point at which diminishing returns start kicking in. I have very little knowledge of PC building, so have largely put this together using https://www.logicalincrements.com (the Enthusiast tier).

    The main help I am looking for is whether anything I have chosen is incompatible (or just a terrible choice). I have gone for a relatively cheap case since I'm wanting it to fit on some shelving that's built into my desk, which means a width limit of 23cm, so I'm a bit concerned that might cause airflow problems in particular.

    And just in general if there is anything redundant in there where I could go for a cheaper part and achieve similar performance.

    Many thanks in advance!

    NOTE: You do not have to follow this format, but please be sure to answer these questions. Please do not ask to simply be given a build. You are welcome to delete this section.

    submitted by /u/Art4261
    [link] [comments]

    How much money would it take to build a PC that can run Minecraft really good

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 01:56 PM PDT

    I've never really owned a PC so I don't know about RAM and specs so please be specific as possible

    submitted by /u/banmeifurgay
    [link] [comments]

    How much will a 4k60fps gaming PC cost?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 05:44 AM PDT

    I'm building a PC for editing on premier pro/after effects and thinking about getting a better PC for gaming aswell instead of getting an Xbox Series X. I want to play at 4k60fps with atleast medium raytracing graphic settings (when raytracing is available) for new graphically demanding games (Cyberpunk 2077, Watch Dogs Legion, Red Dead 2 etc.)... so basically I want my PC to be able to run games with similar graphics and the same frame rate as the series x. I checked the system requirements, but lots of them didn't specify for 60fps or when they did it was with ultra settings.

    What price range am I looking at, and any recommendations for graphics cards or CPU? Thanks in advanced :)

    submitted by /u/333chaos
    [link] [comments]

    Is it worth switching boot drive

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 01:44 PM PDT

    I am going to get a new SSD (Kingston a2000 1TB) since my current one is too small (Kingston a400 240GB) and I am wondering if it's worth it to clone the a400 to the a2000 since it is the boot drive and the a2000 is NVME and has a dram cache.

    submitted by /u/DarthSidious71
    [link] [comments]

    Help me choose my mouse

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 01:38 PM PDT

    First off, im using this primarily for FPS.

    I have a HEAVY rival 650 (like 4.5 ounces/ 130ish grams)

    I've heard light mice are better for aim but I've never used them before.

    I am leaning towards a Glorious Model O but before we discuss...here is what I want from a mouse.

    1. A great fit for small/medium hands.
    2. I use a palm grip naturally. I've never tried earning claw/finger tips because frankly, it didn't come natural.
    3. grip and fit is my most important detail in the mouse. I want to hold ot comfortably but in full control and no slips at all.
    4. I also would like a thumb rest. I hate finger drag and with a palm grip, it happens a lot.

    5. Quality sensor.

    6. ill be honest, I have no clue where to start here. I know I want optical but I don't know the difference between any of the variances. (Even if you teach me this, I will be super grateful 🙏)

    7. I probably won't make crazy fast flicks but when I do, I don't want any skipping happening here. This is probably the second most important detail for me, very one to grip.

    8. Responsive clicks

    9. the right and left click need to be 1ms less. Response time makes or breaks me

    10. This would ideally include any other buttons, side or otherwise.

    11. long life is a must - most mice use omrons for 50m+ and thats solid.

    12. Extra buttons

    13. I switch weapons, use melee, and throw grenades and I want to do all of these without taking my left hand off ASDW. Movement is as critical as aim here.

    14. That being said 20 buttons is far too many. I would like something like two/three thumb buttons and a dpi switch.

    15. Something worth noting.. I DONT want a mouse wheel that does more than scroll up, down, and center click. I know Logitech has some that can click left and right and thats just too much.

    Finally, extras to consider is weight and a sniper/dpi button placed by the thumb. One appealing factor of the Corsair m65 was the sniper button by the thumb. This is awesome EXCEPT id prefer it to actuate as a hold rather than on/off. Im not sure if it can do that or not. Button held in = lower dpi, button reased is normal dpi would be ideal.

    Ok now is your part. Drop your suggestions, price is no object here (I mean its considered but feel free to recommend some $100+ mice) and educate me! Thats why I LOVE this Subreddit.

    submitted by /u/cj_powell91
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment