• Breaking News

    Sunday, December 13, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - December 13, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - December 13, 2020


    Simple Questions - December 13, 2020

    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 04:07 AM PST

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    GPU USAGE: 0% / Cyberpunk 2077

    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 06:04 AM PST

    Hello! When I start the CP2077, during the first splash screen I have 60 fps, and then the fps locks up and does not increase. The graphics settings are low, I changed the resolution, but it didn't help. GPU usage: 0% (10-20 FPS In main menu and in the open world). How to fix it? In the other games my GPU load 100%.

    upd: I'm using MSI afterburner to monitor GPU load.

    • Windows 10 Pro 1909.
    • Ryzen 5 1600AF (pinnacle ridge)
    • MSI RX 480 4gb gaming x
    • 16GB 3200 mhz
    • GPU DRIVER: Amd Adrenalin 20.12.1
    submitted by /u/x_a1r_x
    [link] [comments]

    Why are IPS monitors so popular?

    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 08:32 AM PST

    Correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't shopped for a new display in years. From what I understand, the main benefit of IPS is image quality from different angles but typically at a cost of much worse contrast ratio. But how often is a typical user looking at a screen at an angle other than right in front of their faces? Wouldn't deep blacks be more important for most users than angle?

    submitted by /u/owen__wilsons__nose
    [link] [comments]

    Are included fans in cases enough?

    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 03:41 AM PST

    Hello, first-timer working on a 3070 build: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Lcxst8

    Quite confused about when and when not to buy more case fans.

    I'm tossing up between the Meshify 2 and 4000D Airflow for the case - with either of them, will extra case fans be needed or are the stock, included ones (3 in meshify, and 2 in 4000D) enough?

    Also, typically how many case fans are recommended?

    Any other recommendations or opinions about the build/parts list would be appreciated for those who have the time :)

    submitted by /u/WithinAndWithout-
    [link] [comments]

    How do I wipe my old, now-cloned SSD while keeping it usable? (And remove windows from it)

    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 05:59 AM PST

    I installed a new NVMe M.2 ssd, and used acronis to clone my old 500gb SSD onto it.

    Now my old ssd still has its files (~400GB used up+ Windows installed), how do I delete everything from it including Windows which is now on my nvme ssd, and keep it usable?

    Does Acronis have an option for this?

    Thanks!

    (Also is there any risk of doing so?)

    submitted by /u/Phoresis
    [link] [comments]

    Is this a good ~£1000 gaming Pc

    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 07:48 AM PST

    [PCPartPicker Part List](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/XcFst8)

    Type|Item|Price

    :----|:----|:----

    **CPU** | [AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/9nm323/amd-ryzen-5-3600-36-thz-6-core-processor-100-100000031box) | £209.99 @ Amazon UK

    **CPU Cooler** | [be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/hyQRsY/be-quiet-pure-rock-slim-351-cfm-cpu-cooler-bk008) | £22.94 @ Box Limited

    **Motherboard** | [MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/BHBhP6/msi-b450-gaming-plus-max-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-gaming-plus-max) | £69.98 @ CCL Computers

    **Memory** | [Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/VNJtt6/corsair-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3600-memory-cmk16gx4m2d3600c18) | £59.92 @ Amazon UK

    **Storage** | [Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/mwrYcf/seagate-barracuda-computer-2-tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-st2000dm008) | £50.25 @ Currys PC World Business

    **Video Card** | [EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING iCX3 Video Card](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/T7fFf7/evga-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-8-gb-ftw3-ultra-gaming-icx3-video-card-08g-p5-3667-kr) | £451.29 @ Newegg UK

    **Case** | [MSI MPG GUNGNIR 110R ATX Mid Tower Case](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/gLZzK8/msi-mpg-gungnir-110r-atx-mid-tower-case-mpg-gungnir-110r) | £89.99 @ Box Limited

    **Power Supply** | [EVGA GD (2019) 500 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/vHhmP6/evga-gd-2019-500-w-80-gold-certified-atx-power-supply-100-gd-0500-v1) | £65.47 @ Scan.co.uk

    | *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |

    | **Total** | **£1019.83**

    | Generated by [PCPartPicker](https://pcpartpicker.com) 2020-12-13 15:43 GMT+0000 |

    submitted by /u/LewiAta
    [link] [comments]

    The "incremental upgrade" thinking is a trap!

    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 04:24 AM PST

    Just a little story. I built my PC in 2013. It has i5 4670K, GTX 770 with 8 GB of DDR3 RAM. I used it till 2016 when I bought a laptop with i7 8750h and GTX 1060 with 16GB DDR4. Then my desktop went to the closet and I forgot about it.

    Fast forward to two weeks ago. My laptop broke (something happened with intel gpu, long story), since luckily it broke having 2 weeks warranty left, I send it to the store and I had to dust off my old trusty desktop.

    It only had slow hard drive so I bought literally the cheapest SATA SSD I could find in local store and I fired it up. Damn. I realized that this old ass PC was actually still faster and better performing than my almost 4 year newer high tier laptop.

    So I thought - well, maybe I could do something to it to make it work even better? Maybe add some RAM? Fair enough, but wait, it's still slow DDR3. Is there really point in investing in such obsolete tech? Probably no. What I have to do to switch to DDR4? Oh, right, I have to change my mobo sooooo... that means i have to buy new CPU.

    Then I started searching for CPU. First I read some recent articles, watched youtube channels, read reviews and realized that maybe I should switch to AMD this time. So 3600? But wait, 3600x is only slightly more expensive. But wait, 3700x is much better and still only slightly more expensive than 3600x BUT WAIT 5600x showed up in store and you guessed it - it's only slightly more expensive than 3700x. Then approppriate B550 mobo as well. Then RAM and finally I'm done.

    But was I? I'll have all this new tech and I let it sit in my old dusty case with front audio panel not working? Eh, might as well buy new case. Done? But what about PSU? Sure, my current 550W isn't bad but still it is 7 years old, would be bad if i fried my new gear by PSU failing, eh new PSU it is. Then - wait, what is this M2 NVMe thing I see all the time. Oh, so like super speedy SSD? Well, I only have old hard drive and cheapest and crappiest SSD soooo.... yeah I probably should buy some good 1TB NVMe drive and just be done with it.

    Now, that's what I'd call successful upgrade! Wait. Have I just bought a new fucking PC? What kind of "upgrade" is it where only part from original setup is GPU (and that's only because I'm not going to wait 4 weeks on delivery to buy 3060ti for 650$ lol).

    TL:DR Laptop broke, wanted to add 8GB RAM to old PC, got incrementally carried away and bought whole new PC somehow.

    submitted by /u/kociol21
    [link] [comments]

    Which processor should I get?

    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 03:47 AM PST

    Hey!

    I'm gonna be building a new pc soon and wanna go with AMD but don't know which processor should I go with. The 5600X is still in my budget but that budget also includes cpus like the 3800x and 3700x which are 8 core cpus. Should I still go with the 5600x cause it's newer and stuff 😀? Do you have any mobo recommendations which are good for the price but not too pricey. This is gonna be a massive upgrade cause I currently got a X4 965 phenom and the Asus M4A87TD. Just imagine for yourself how excited I am! Thanks for your help!

    EDIT: Thank you so much for all the upvotes I've never gotten this many on one post. Merry early Christmas to all of you!!

    Best regards, Chris

    submitted by /u/YoUr_LoCaL_gAmEr-_-
    [link] [comments]

    I need help choosing a hard drive

    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 07:51 AM PST

    I can't decide between the Seagate BarraCuda 2TB and the Western Digital Blue 2TB. While the Seagate drive is a faster 7200RPM drive, it uses SMR which is slow whereas the WD drive has a slower spin speed but uses CMR.

    My intended use is for storage of some games such as Minecraft (probably only save files) and other large video games I get later on (probably CS:GO and Rocket League at least). I'll also save my screen captures and YouTube videos to it. Finally I'll also be creating backups on it (likely using File History).

    Which drive would work better for my uses? Thanks

    edit: Note that the OS is going to be stored on an NVMe drive

    submitted by /u/dominic03_
    [link] [comments]

    Can I Re-Use Deepcool Genome II Liquid Cooler?

    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 07:50 AM PST

    Hi all,

    I'm planning on upgrading to a ryzen 5600x as soon as they are in stock. My question is, my case came with a 360mm liquid cooler from Deepcool. It's been out of warranty for a while, and case is 4.5 years old now using it daily. How long does this kind of liquid cooler last? If I try to re-use it and a component fails would it leak all over my internals and fry my pc? I'm handy with tools, is there a way I can tear this thing apart and replace fittings, hoses, check internals, etc to try to get more life out of it reliably?

    If not I'll just tear it out and switch to air cooled but I'd rather keep the liquid cooling since it's a pretty badass system. I'm also upgrading to a 6800xt asap too, I think my 1080 is close to being fried. My system crashes daily and it seems to be gpu related based on the error codes I get.

    Link to case below.

    https://www.gamerstorm.com/product/CASES/2016-09/1288_6120.shtml

    submitted by /u/IronAnger
    [link] [comments]

    Which BIOS version to chose ?

    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 07:28 AM PST

    Hey,

    I bought an ASRock x570 Steel Legend and an AMD Ryzen 5600X. I need to update my BIOS in order for the MOBO to be compatible, but I don't know which version to chose.

    3.00 Seems to be the one which makes it compatible, but 3 new patches have been released since that one. Should I just take the most recent one, or use the 3.00/3.30 which I'm pretty sure is stable and compatible ?

    BIOS LIST

    submitted by /u/myke_lytoris
    [link] [comments]

    Is 3060 Ti worth £100 more than 5700 XT for 1080p/1440p gaming?

    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 06:10 AM PST

    I decided that i wanted to build my own pc and i need some advice on the components

    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 05:12 AM PST

    Need a surge protector not sure which way to go?

    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 01:04 PM PST

    I had 2 old power strips running which connected my pc and my tv into the same outlet.

    One of the old power strips that my pc was plugged into died today.

    Currently have one old power strip that my tv and cable box is plugged into connected with an extension cord that my pc is plugged into all using out outlet.

    What's the best solution?

    I thought about just getting this:

    https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Protector-Network-HT10DBS/dp/B0002QPC28/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1526226439&sr=8-4

    or this

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035PQGKU/?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AwEAAAAAAAAAAcbZ

    and plugging everything into it.

    any help would be appreciated, I'm pretty clueless with this stuff

    submitted by /u/Julian_Arness
    [link] [comments]

    USB 3.0 socket removed

    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 06:30 AM PST

    I just built my pc but when cable managing I accidentally pulled the USB 3.0 cable a bit to hard and the pins are exposed and I can't fit the cable back in. The cable was meant for the USB plug in for the case. Can someone give me a solution on what I can do to fix this. It's my first build and I already fucked up

    Edit; Thank you all, deadset legends appreciate it

    submitted by /u/alienssz
    [link] [comments]

    Ultrawide vs Regular Monitors

    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 12:25 PM PST

    I'm looking to get a good 1440p 144 hertz monitor but I see that a lot of the ultra wide monitors are cheaper than a regular one. I just wanted to know the difference between them and if there is any reason I should get a ultra wide over a regular monitor.

    Also I plan on playing mostly competitive games and some AAA games. The help would be much appreciated friends!

    Edit: I should've said before I posted but I am very new to PCs as I am in the process of building one so I wasn't sure how many games actually supported ultra wide

    submitted by /u/Layzie_65
    [link] [comments]

    Cleaning my keyboard

    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 04:14 AM PST

    Hey guys, wondering what I could use to clean my fatass greasy keyboard. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/STRAlGHTCANCER
    [link] [comments]

    I broke off two pins from ryzen 3600

    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 05:34 AM PST

    The pins were bent, so while trying to fix it i broke off two pins accidentally. Is it possible to drop spare pins from another processor onto the cpu socket and make it work? Has anyone tried and had success with this method?

    submitted by /u/stinkymicrowave
    [link] [comments]

    What webcam should I be looking out for? Very confused.

    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 06:15 AM PST

    Hi- I'm looking for the following A webcam that 1. Has very limited field of view. Don't want it to be wide, but rather very small field of view 2. Doesn't have to have hd. Can be lower resolution 3. Is super cheap

    I'm in the south if anyone's interested. I don't know what to search when it comes to limited field of view cameras. Every camera I look for is wide view which I don't want for privacy purposes at work.

    submitted by /u/templeoftiger
    [link] [comments]

    Built my first ever pc, but i've currently ran into a lot of issues.

    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 06:43 AM PST

    First and foremost. I was able to boot it and get into the bios, nothing exploded so far.

    However, instantly I knew a few glaring issues.

    One. Is that within the bios i noticed that I couldn't find my gpu anywhere, the hdmi is connected directly to my gpu and i am obviously seeing a post of my bios to my screen. My cpu does NOT have intergraded graphics, does that mean my gpu is okay and it just doesn't show up in the bios? I don't have to do anything with it? Outside of drivers.

    Two. While within my bios i noticed that my cpu and the inside of my pc was getting very very hot already (The two side panels of the case open btw). Checking solely being in the bios i was at 65 C. Is that normal? I have 2 front fans and 1 rear fan, using the ryzen cpu stock fan.

    three. With my three fans I have installed, i made a mistake that all of these fans are 3-pin fans and my fan hub are suited for 4 pins. I read that i can connect 3 pins into 4 pin headers, Just that the fans wouldn't operate base on temperature and only run at 100%. All fans are in fact running, but referring to my previous issue, if this is 100% power of my fans, do I need new ones? Or is the issue plugging in 3pins into 4 pin header fan hub.

    Four. Although it isn't necessary as in at this point I just want to finish the build as i am mentally burnt out from the stress of buying parts and things for months just to build this and now that im so close i could care less for RGB. However, I did purchase RGB strips and i have a asrock b550m mobo, it said it supported led strips but my RGB strips are once again (yay) 5v 3pin. according to the manual i have an accessible 3pin led header that i plugged the strip in, Unfortunately nothing showed. I assume an accessible 3pin led header and 5v 3pin header isn't the same? Again this isn't necessary but i figure id ask and if i have to buy more things i'll probably return the leds they are not necessary.

    Thank you all for your time!

    submitted by /u/Tyranova
    [link] [comments]

    Time to upgrade my PC, because my r9 broke down!

    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 07:35 AM PST

    Hello! Sadly, my gpu (sapphire r9 280x oc) broke down today, constantly shutting down my pc and showing artifacts all the time. I have to get my computer working as fast as possible ofcourse having budget in mind. So, my build atm is:

    Some shitty overheating case without any fans. CPU: Intel i5-3350P

    RAM: Kingston HYPERX Blu 2x4GB 1600Mhz

    SSD Crucial mx500 500gb

    HDD Kingston 1T

    PSU: BeQuiet 730W Pure Power

    Motherboard GIGABYTE GA Z77 DS3H

    Monitors: Philips 4K UHD 60Hz, Samsung 1080p FHD 60Hz

    I have about ~2500zł=860USD+-. Is it enough to play in 4k, not essentialy on ultra?

    I live in Poland so prices might vary. The GPU will be bought first to get the PC to run. I can wait for other parts some time. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Remeq
    [link] [comments]

    Apologies in Advance if I am asking too much

    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 03:44 AM PST

    I play World of warcraft classic atm, on an old laptop that can just about keep up.

    I would like to get a gaming PC but, I'm having my first child in 3 months + its Christmas + We are buying a new kitchen because the old one is screwed.

    As such I can't just go blowing £1000 on a gaming desktop, when a baby is on the way and my girlfriends wages will drop. It would just be very selfish.

    Is it doable to spend roughly £500 on building just the PC itself (Not the monitor keyboard etc) and come up with something half decent? Or am I dreaming?

    I know you're all gonna laugh at the low cash, but serious responses please. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Jabba_TheHoot
    [link] [comments]

    Your thoughts on the X570 motherboard ?

    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 01:01 PM PST

    Finally the day has come for me to start buying pc parts to get my build going. However, I wanted to know if their is another motherboard either for the same amount or a bit more (300 dollar limit) for a even better motherboard. The one i was liiking into is here below with its link:

    Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard

    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4qsnTW/gigabyte-x570-aorus-pro-wifi-atx-am4-motherboard-x570-aorus-pro-wifi

    Thanks guys

    (Extra info: Its for gaming , Ryzen 9 3900x, and if there is another better motherboard i may expand the budget by another 100 dollars more from $250)

    submitted by /u/SnooRevelations5596
    [link] [comments]

    Am I overpaying?

    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 12:50 PM PST

    I've just put together my first PC but, thanks to buyers regret I guess, I'm kinda worried I overspent.

    I paid £690 (~$925) for the following specs:

    CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

    GPU: GTX 1660 ti

    Mobo: B450m Mortar Max

    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB

    PSU: Corsair TX550M

    Case: Focus G mini (+2 extra Arctic F12 fans)

    HDD: 1TB WD Blue

    SSD: Crucial MX 500 250GB

    I just want to justify this hobby to myself I suppose! I'd also like to say, this is my first actual post but over the last few months just reading what you all have to say has been so helpful; even us lurkers appreciate what you as a sub do for everyone!

    submitted by /u/JLRB10
    [link] [comments]

    I was just wondering, with all the 3000 series sold out, what's the best game plan to build a pc at the moment ��

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 08:44 PM PST

    I just want to know if you have specs to suggest and whether or not to wait for them to be available again...

    PS. It's mostly for gaming and 3D design (Blender)

    submitted by /u/dankiestmemer-W-B
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment