• Breaking News

    Thursday, July 9, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - July 09, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - July 09, 2020


    Simple Questions - July 09, 2020

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 05:08 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    How PC Building Turns Dangerous

    Posted: 08 Jul 2020 07:26 PM PDT

    So like a month ago I decided to buy myself a new computer case because the airflow in my current one was awful.

    Then I decided to get a new GPU.

    Then I realized my CPU was bottlenecking even my old circa-2014 GPU.

    But then buying a new CPU meant I had to buy a new motherboard and RAM.

    Then once I completed that upgrade I realized all I needed was a new power supply and a new HDD and I could make a second computer to run a Ubuntu-based Plex server off of.

    My new power supply and HDD will be arriving on Friday...

    submitted by /u/cconn882
    [link] [comments]

    Best 1440p Gaming Monitor

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 11:58 AM PDT

    I am planning on buying a new monitor sometimes this month so far I think I have settled on the LG 27GL850 but I was wondering if anyone had a better monitor or if there were better monitors coming out in the near future. Price is not a problem but preferably not curved.

    submitted by /u/notverysmartypants
    [link] [comments]

    Non-techie girl building her first PC. HELP!

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 11:00 AM PDT

    Hi! I need your help. I have thought of building my own PC for so long. Now I finally got the time to work on it as I just graduated from college.

    This is my first time building my own PC. I plan to buy the parts on Amazon. And this PC is going to be for gaming and productivity, so I want it to be high-end.

    So far, I have set my eyes on the four core components - the CPU, GPU, mobo, and memory. I still haven't chosen a brand for my GPU tho, but I am leaning towards getting an RTX 2080 Super GPU.

    What are your thoughts on my cherrypicked PC parts? :)

    CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | $690

    Mobo - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | $360

    Memory - G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series 32GB 3600MHz | $180

    GPU - RTX 2080 Super | ----

    Accepting recommendations for the storage, PSU, case, CPU cooler, and my GPU.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/whops98
    [link] [comments]

    How do I convince my parents to let me build a pc?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 05:43 AM PDT

    I've tried time and again to convince my parents to let me build a pc and ever time it ends with me getting yelled at or a speech and I'm tired of it and I need help convincing them

    Update: my dad is finally talking parts so I think im getting to him

    submitted by /u/icy_namer
    [link] [comments]

    Monitors and colorblindness

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 11:05 AM PDT

    I am looking into getting a new monitor to take advantage of high frame rates. I am red green colorblind so I guess that the color accuracy of IPS monitors doesn't really matter. Is anyone here also colorblind that can provide their experiences on what is important in a monitor?

    submitted by /u/tragedystrikes
    [link] [comments]

    How to choose the best SSD or NVME a resource guide

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 04:10 AM PDT

    Bumped into NewMaxx and later r/NewMaxx and You really have to check it out. It's a fantastic data base with tons of info and a pretty handy buying guide and XL data sheet that pretty much give you any info you may ever want on popular SSD's and NVME drives. Check it out!

    https://www.reddit.com/r/NewMaxx/comments/dhvrdm/ssd_guides_resources/

    submitted by /u/djh860
    [link] [comments]

    Pc case upgrade help.

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 02:37 PM PDT

    Built my first pc about a year ago later I realized the airflow was absolutely terrible. Upgrading some parts now and want to get a better case trying to spend around 100 maybe a little more if it's worth it. Thanks

    Ryzen 5 3600 5700xt red devil GIGABYTE B450 AORUS PRO WIFI AM4

    submitted by /u/jrman949
    [link] [comments]

    antec high current gamer extreme 850w gold

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 11:36 AM PDT

    I'm having a hard time finding a power supply for my build but I could this one at a good price. Is it good or do you guys have any other recommendations that is in stock. My computer will be running at 645w maybe more. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Sleepy_Passion
    [link] [comments]

    R9 290X

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 02:22 PM PDT

    I have a i5 2500k with 8gb ram and a coolermaster 550w psu and I am wandering if my radeon R9 290X will handle it becouse I what to play lite titles and also I will be connecting my pc to a tv so I can play with a controller(dont judge me)so I just want to know if my house will catch on fire or not

    submitted by /u/destinyexyte
    [link] [comments]

    Doubts about new PC build

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 10:27 AM PDT

    Hello everyone! 🙂

    For some time now I have been thinking about building a gaming PC, however I have some doubts that keep me from starting such as:

    • COVID situation: Is it a good time to build a PC? Given the circumstances due to the pandemic, I would say that maybe it would be better to wait. What do you think?
    • GPU: One of the doubts that grips me most is the GPU, I had thought of an RTX 2060 Super (is 400€ a good deal?) but i know that the release of the new 3000 series is given towards September.. Maybe it would be better to wait to see if the prices will go down? However I aim for 1080p at high refresh rate and I had thought about this screen: https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00B19T7QC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_10?smid=A1XCF8DLK3OC2Y&psc=1
    • MOBO: I choose a B450 but I saw that the B550 came out; does it make sense to invest in a B550 or is it only wasted money?
    • SSD: It is better a "classic" SSD or an M.2?
    • PSU: Is a 650W power supply enough or is it better a 750W?

    Anyway I made a configuration on pcpartpicker so you could advise me what to change if necessary: https://it.pcpartpicker.com/list/sF8TwP

    I am from Italy and the prices here sometimes are aI hope I haven't made too many grammatical errors bit difference from the US (dammit!) 😔

    I hope at least I have been clear enough. 🙂

    (I hope I haven't made too many grammatical errors lol)

    submitted by /u/andry37
    [link] [comments]

    Thank you, everyone, so much

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 02:03 PM PDT

    It took a good 5 months of waiting and planning but I recently pulled the trigger and purchased all the parts. During that time I felt nuisance on this and multiple other forums constantly asking questions, getting every single detail down. At one point I was checking pictures and manuals online for even just the rgb ports on the motherboard. After I had done all the research and information gathering I could on the PC itself, I moved on to looking up future additions or upgrades all in the name of fun. Starting out in February when I first got an inkling to final make the jump to PC, there were friends I asked questions of who pointed me in the right direction allowing me to first grasp what building a PC entailed. I took that knowledge and improved, looking for help here and wherever I could to create the first PC of my dreams. It was absolutely a thrill during every part of it and I can't thank this community enough for all the input, constructive criticism, and aid I have received during the whole process. I'm sure in thinking without anyone here everything I did would have never became a reality. Even during the moment of building, I was able to ask a quick question or two on here and receive help. Building went as smoothly as it could for my first hands on experience with PC parts, running into problems like a tad more thermal paste than needed, confusion over some case cords, literally screwing some cords underneath my MoBo, the ssd unknown to me having a not fully connected power cord, and my god the cable management. But besides all that, I learned, I improved, and I was able to do what I've been dreaming of for so long. It will be some time before I recoup from the cost to even buy some new games but that's fine. I have my old steam library from when I was a wee lad on a laptop. The setup may not be the most ideal but I don't think I would have it any other way. I'm looking forward to many years of gaming on this machine and far down the line if any problems occur or I want to upgrade anything, I know this will be the first place I go for help, thanks for the help, genuinely. 

    The PC in question, in the flesh, or should I say case.

    submitted by /u/HephMiner
    [link] [comments]

    Finished my 3rd build, but...

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 06:04 AM PDT

    So since I am unable to travel anywhere this year, and with extra time to spare since I am working from home, I decided to start a new build. I have experience with building a PC so I am quite confident with what I am doing.

    Finished building after 3 days, plugged everything in, push the power button and...nothing. My monitor is not detecting any signals.

    At this point, I could feel my adrenaline surging. Since this is my first time dealing with AMD and AM4, I took out the CPU again and made sure nothing is bent and the CPU fits on the socket correctly. Still nothing showing on my monitor.

    Next I played around with my RAM and tried placing them in different slots, no luck.

    I am using a MSI X570 Unify motherboard, and it has debug LEDs and a display that shows the debug code. This is my first using the debug LEDs on my motherboard, so I started monitoring what it shows when I disconnected some HDDs, RAMs and my GPU. I am resuing my old GPU as I have plans to replace them when NVIDIA releases the RTX 3000 series, so I thought my GPU is the culprit.

    The debug LEDs showed the correct code when I plugged out my GPU. But when everything is plugged back in, the debug code will always show 02, and the debug LED that represents Boot will light up. It just stays that way.

    I tried updating the bios, and the whole system started for a few minutes before it powers down automatically, so I guess the update went well. But when I powered the PC again, nothing shows up. This time with the USB thumbdrive I used to flash the bios still plugged in, I noticed the debug code eventually shows '45', and started dropping to '44', then '43' and stays there.

    I found out that the debug code '43' has something to do with post memory initialization, so I thought it has something to do with the memory. I had experience with failing memory when I was building my 2nd build, so I thought its the same issue. I was so tired at this point, I decided to rest up and figure something out the next day.

    Next day, I borrowed my dad's new monitor, and plugged it to my video card via HDMI. Press the power switch, and it booted up fine! I can get into the bios and even install Windows. When I was done with Windows, I plugged in my monitor via the DisplayPort, and...no signal.

    I knew there is nothing wrong with my monitor because it was running my previous build before I completed the new build. Then I set my sights on the DisplayPort cable. Spent an hour wondering out my home to find a new DisplayPort cable, and when I finally plugged in my new DisplayPort Cable, my monitor finally detected signal from my video card.

    I eventually realised two mistakes I made:

    1. The debug code is actually showing the CPU temperature after it got through POST. I thought it has something to do with the memory facepalm

    2. My PC is placed underneath my desk, so when I moved away my old build, I decided to vacuum the area. At one point, the DisplayPort cable got stuck in my vacuum head. I must have damaged my DisplayPort cable then.

    Funny how the entire ordeal has nothing to do with the PC parts, and the stars somehow aligned and something that I least expects to break just suddenly break at the right time.

    submitted by /u/boringNerd
    [link] [comments]

    Mid level Gaming PC Parts Advice

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 03:05 PM PDT

    Hi All,

    Was always a PC gamer in my youth, then had a couple of kids, bought a couple of laptops and had sort of got out of the habit, but now with lockdown me and three of my mates have started playing games again (old school stuff like Payday 2 and L4D2) and my laptop is really struggling and I reckon it's time to treat myself to something half decent. It doesn't have to play GTA5 at 200FPS or anything but it would be good to be able to play everything currently released and give me a bit of future proofing. At the moment I'm on 1080p 60hz but might get a 1440p 144hz monitor in the future, but may need a better GPU for that? Anyway enough waffle, here's my thoughts

    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/h2YggJ

    One thing I'm not sure in is the RAM, I saw that 3600 speed is good with Ryzen, but can that mono even run RAM that fast?

    submitted by /u/Legendash1
    [link] [comments]

    I’d like to know if this is a good build, or anything I should change

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 03:05 PM PDT

    Ryzen 5 3600 RX 580 8GB 1TB Samsung Evo 860 Corsair vengeance RGB Pro 3600 EVGA 500W 80plus Corsair 220T RGB ASUS b450m-a

    submitted by /u/Father-Boomer
    [link] [comments]

    3x EVGA GTX 650 TI 1gb or replace them with my Sapphire RX 580 4gb? (Yes, weird and more info inside)

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 02:59 PM PDT

    So somebody at a local used pc store recently missed an item on their shelf for $180 that I bought immediately without even looking inside.

    Took the pc home, cleaned it up a little, installed Windows 10 and no issues whatsoever.

    Components

    I7-3770

    G. Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 RAM 2x8GB

    ASUS MAXIMUS V EXTREME Motherboard

    EVGA GTX 650 TI x 3

    Thermaltake ToughPower Grand 850w Power Supply

    Zalman Watercooler for CPUC 1 radiator

    Corsair 750D Obsidian GIGANTIC Gaming PC case

    This machine is in perfect working condition, and was built fantastic.

    My questions (and am seeking input):

    It doesn't seem like the 3 currently installed GTX 650 ti's are running in SLI? Game's are playing fine (WoW Classic, whoop di doo).

    I would like to throw each of these 650TI's into a 3 separate little gamer pc's that I can sell or give to friends or something, and just pop my Sapphire RX 580 4gb into the rig and be all set........

    But I can't find much on performance comparison. My gut tells me to put the RX 580 in there for obvious reasons, but for some reason seeing 3 neatly stacked GPU's inside of a gorgeous case from a package you only paid $180 for is extremely difficult to do..... Lol

    Numbers and stats are most welcomed. Thanks all!

    Edit: I am very NOT familiar with SLI. I can tell you that Speccy told me they weren't running in SLI - and I haven't tinkered with BIOS too much yet, so I'm not sure how they're set - BUT if my memory serves.... There is nothing physically connecting any of the cards together (like an sli bridge)

    submitted by /u/Slurpeezz
    [link] [comments]

    Accidently spilt some drink on PC

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 02:56 PM PDT

    When I was standing up from my chair I accidently knocked my desk and roughly 5 drops of coffee spilt from my mug onto the front of my pc. It didn't shut off but I was wondering if this could be an issue and if it could have caused long term damage.

    Thank You

    submitted by /u/Fazbearsgamingbagel
    [link] [comments]

    Deciding on a CPU Cooler

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 02:56 PM PDT

    So, about a year ago, I purchased a really good deal on a Pre-build PC from Microcenter.

    In short, I switched out/upgraded some parts as I needed, including Case, Fans, and Ram, but still have the OG CPU Cooler. I have noticed that the CPU got a little hot on idle (35-40C idle) but was fixed when moving to the new case.

    Now however, the CPU Package Temps reach up to 45-50C when idle and sometimes up to 58C when just surfing or watching youtube. When gaming, it can reach up into the high 80s, all with no OC.

    so, I'm looking to upgrade my CPU Cooler. I am between 2 options:
    H100i RGB Platinum
    Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black

    I am mostly concerned about Noise, because my current CPU cooler goes full tilt every time I game, even something light, and it's noisy. I have never had a AIO, and I believe I have room in the top of my case for a 240 Rad (plus I am a fan of RGB, have custom lighting for all my games to improve immersion) I know the U12S is very Quiet, but not sure how it would handle my system if I ever decide to overclock, and I have heard that the Pump can be loud because it runs 100% at all times, but can have better performance (I am also short 1 internal usb header).

    I would love some feedback on noise level of the H100i, and if the U12S could handle my i7 8700k with an overclock to help me decide.

    Current PC Parts List:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Madog24/saved/26P2Vn

    submitted by /u/Madog24
    [link] [comments]

    Is my weird build idea bad?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 12:31 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I am thinking of starting my first build. I have never built a PC but i have replaced RAM and SSD/HDD in my laptop and am reasonably handy. English is not my first or second language so I hope i can make myself reasonably clear.

    I saw some good deals on a XEON V3 2678 CPU as well as a GTX1050TI CPU. I hoped to combine these through a ZChun X99 LGA2011-V3 motherboard off amazon. As a naive first-timer this seems like a good bang/buck idea. Am i missing key red flags? Any help/ tips would greatly be appreciated. I plan to use the PC for gaming and perhaps work.

    Thank you in advance

    submitted by /u/turleduck
    [link] [comments]

    I'm looking for advice and help with my new pc build

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 02:31 PM PDT

    I want to upgrade my pc but I'm not very experienced. If anyone could go over my parts and tell me what I could change or what I need to change I'd appreciate it.

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/y38JrV

    submitted by /u/Ev1n03
    [link] [comments]

    My Build So Far

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 02:30 PM PDT

    Here's my build I'm planning on getting, I already bought case. I'm also planning on getting some case fans later on. I'll be playing Payday and Minecraft so I don't think ill need the fans just yet anyways.

    https://pcpartpicker.com/user/zc66/saved/#view=6Cqxcf

    Suggestions appreciated :)

    Budget: 1000$ (maybe more if I'm willing to wait)

    submitted by /u/ZombieCandy66
    [link] [comments]

    Help! CPU fan not spinning/GPU not powering up

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 02:29 PM PDT

    First time builder, and going crazy trying to figure out what's wrong. As the title suggests, the CPU fan is not spinning at all + GPU is not powering up from what I can tell.

    • Sapphire logo doesn't light up nor do the fans spin up as well on boot

    • Tried connecting to monitor to see if anything shows up and monitor detects no signal

    • Quadruple checked all connections from PSU to mobo and am fairly certain I have things connected properly. Unplugged and replugged multiple times.

    • Ensured GPU is seated properly, and reseated multiple times

    • CPU power, front panel connector, GPU power pins, and 24 pin mobo power are the only things connected

    • RAM stick lights up and glows which is good I suppose

    • I've tried connecting CPU fan to other fan headers with no luck, fan doesn't spin

    • I've tried connecting another heatsink I had lying around and connecting its fan to CPU fan header and other headers with no luck

    • I've tried connecting a random case fan to all the fan headers, no luck there as well and case fan doesn't spin

    • I have an NZXT fan controller, I plugged in a case fan to that, and plugged the controller to PSU and the case fan functions fine.

    • CPU red light on mobo goes to red, but then goes away after a few seconds (maybe a good sign?)

    At this point, I feel like I've tried everything?? Could it be a faulty mobo? PSU seems to be supplying power correctly, but honestly I have no idea at this point. Perhaps both a faulty mobo and PSU?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Specs

    • Ryzen 5 3600

    • Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT

    • Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 650W

    • 1x TridentZ RGB 16gb

    • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

    Photos

    https://imgur.com/a/pMvLncP

    submitted by /u/Toilet_Bowl
    [link] [comments]

    Pc shuts off randomly

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 02:24 PM PDT

    I just moved into a new house. After setting my custom built pc up, I realized I couldn't get it to turn on without wiggling some cables and flickering some switches off and on again. Once I do manage to get it on, the slightest bump of the tower will result in the PC shutting off completely. I suspect it has something to do with the PSU. Any other ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/ashnese
    [link] [comments]

    3000hz ram but it has the dram frequency is 2667mhz?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 02:23 PM PDT

    I have a ryzen 5 3600 and I read that faster ram is better but I read that after I got the ram so i'm confused on why it says 2667mhz when it's 3000hz ram?

    submitted by /u/theprtyy
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment