• Breaking News

    Thursday, April 2, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 02, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 02, 2020


    Simple Questions - April 02, 2020

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 05:10 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I've made a list of the best PSU's available for under £100

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 04:03 AM PDT

    See here

    This is not an exhaustive list, but I thought it might be useful for those especially UK based where most of the online guidance is geared towards North America where we don't have the same selection.

    Of course much of it is subjective and note that the 'Quality' column is out of 100 and is supposed to be a numerical value of Performance, Features and Build Quality as per johnnyguru. So even the "worst" one is still very good. The rest of the key is hopefully self explanatory!

    EDIT: Just adding a few more in

    submitted by /u/ezgv
    [link] [comments]

    Just want to say Thank You to the Sub Reddit

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 03:36 AM PDT

    I've successfully completed my first PC build and everything is working good. I wouldn't have been able to do it so smoothly without the help I got here. So to everyone Thank You so much, I'm glad to know that there's a place where people are dedicated to helping others. Stay safe.

    MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max AM4 AMD

    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SC ultra

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

    Ram: G Skill Ripjaws V series 16GB DDR4 3200

    PSU: Corsair CX650M 650W 80 Plus Bronze

    Storage: 500GB SSD/ 2TB HDD

    Case: DIYPC DIY BG01

    Edit (added specs)

    submitted by /u/Rolem12
    [link] [comments]

    LTT Forums Tier Lists: Getting the Most for Your Money

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 11:20 AM PDT

    All too often I see confusion among builders about which power supply, motherboard, AIB video card, CPU cooler, SSD, etc to buy. What's the best? How can I get the best for my money?

    While the best way to figure these things out is to research yourself, there's a lot of people out there who have done that thinking and research for you. When building a PC or giving advice, I recommend consulting the Tier Lists found on the Linus Tech Tips forum.

    PSU Tier List

    CPU Cooler Tier List

    Graphics Card Cooling/VRM Tier List

    Motherboard VRM Tier List for AMD and for Intel

    SSDs

    These tier lists have a few things in common that make them useful for even the most novice builders:

    • Backed up by empirical data and measured performance
    • Listed in a simple and easy-to-navigate way
    • Each tier has a clear explanation and expected level of performance

    Are these lists gospel? No. Are these lists the end-all-be-all ranking of PC components? No. Do they make it much, much easier to find the best parts for your money or find alternatives for parts that you didn't even know existed? 100%, YES.

    Next time someone tells you that you need an expensive EVGA or Corsair PSU for your new build, tell them that the Phanteks AMP is just as good for a better price!

    Next time someone tells you that you need a Corsair H110i to get good temps on your OC, tell them that the H100x can do the same for cheaper!

    Next time someone tells you EVGA or Sapphire or bust on your next video card, tell them that Zotac and XFX can get you there for cheaper!

    Next time someone tells you that you need to a $120 B450 Tomahawk Max for your $85 R5 1600 AF, tell them that you can get something just as solid for a much lower price!

    Next time someone tells you that you need to buy this or that brand for your SSD, remember that there's 10 solid competitors for it in the same tier!

    AND SAY IT KNOWING YOU HAVE A LEG TO STAND ON!

    Don't fall prey to peoples' brand loyalty when the only thing that matters is maximizing your enjoyment for your money.

    submitted by /u/msuts
    [link] [comments]

    Covid-19 Affecting PC Part Prices?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 09:13 PM PDT

    It's been almost a month since that earlier post about Corona affecting PC prices. I did jump the gun and buy some parts for my first build. Not because of news outlets or youtube gurus telling me to, but since I was able to get a bunch of these parts for what I think were priced at a fairly good deal (also a lot of b-stock). I haven't been keeping a log of prices but has anyone seen a drastic/mild increase in prices for certain parts?

    I haven't bought everything I need yet and I don't really mind waiting or paying a tiny bit more. Quarantines been pretty much giving me a lot more free time so I figured I would just knock it out now.

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/formula-fn
    [link] [comments]

    I’ve ordered parts, but I’m nervous that I’ll mess up the actual building - tips?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 06:41 AM PDT

    I'm "helping" my dad build a PC for his job (aka he's buying the parts and I'm building it lol) and I'm decent with computers, definitely not a newbie to this world. But, this is the first from-parts build for me, and I'm a little nervous despite consuming LTT videos like jelly beans. If anyone has any tips to make a build successful and easy I would much appreciate it.

    submitted by /u/Fro5tbyte
    [link] [comments]

    My components to my new build are starting to arrive!!

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 11:47 AM PDT

    http://imgur.com/a/WDVkBNL

    Fractal Design Meshify C White

    Asus ROG Strix X470f - Gaming

    Ryzen R5 3600x

    G-Skill Trident Z 3600mhz

    Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 8gb (from current build)

    Steel Series Apex 3

    Steel Series Rival 310

    Samsung 860 EVO Series 500gb (still shipping)

    Rosewill 750W ARC (from current build)

    5x upHere 120mm RGB fans

    Kinda cheaped out on the fans but I mostly play with headset/VR so I never hear my case fans anyways.

    Still a big upgrade for me coming from a FX-8350.

    Edit: I hate the way Reddit can't space lines apart like EVERY other app does.

    submitted by /u/epicbrewis
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen 3400G is criminally underrated.

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 09:56 PM PDT

    The CPU is pretty good for gaming at 4 cores, and the IGPU is as good or better than a gt 1030.

    all of this and then add it has a 65W TDP.

    IDK i just think it's a fascinating piece of computer technology and really want to see a zen 3 edition with DDR5 RAM (the bottleneck for the IGPU is RAM speed) and an IGPU based on NAVI and even better single-thread performance.

    Just imagine Ryzen 1500X + GTX 1050(maybe even ti) performance in a cool and cheap CPU.

    i hope AMD delivers and keeps up with the performance upgrades each generation.

    (i kinda just wanted to ramble about that APU and AMD's APU's in general bc they are my little obsession)

    submitted by /u/panfu28
    [link] [comments]

    I've broken my PC by installing a new cooler. Probably.

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 09:48 AM PDT

    Before I get going, no this is not another story of someone ripping their cpu out of the socket while trying to remove a cooler. I ran a benchmark before I removed the old cooler and remove it gently, the cpu remained secure in its socket and no pins were bent.

    So earlier today my new cpu cooler (NZXT Kraken X53) arrived in the mail. I quickly went ahead and unboxed it and began the install process. Ran a bench to get my cpu nice and warm, powered down, and removed the old cooler. I changed the bracket to the AMD bracket (I'm using a 2600x) and tested a few cooler orientations before I finally settled on one that fit my case the best. I installed the block carefully, gently putting it on top of the cpu and making sure the mounting posts went through their respective holes in the bracket. I put the thumbscrews on each corner and incrementally tightened them in a criss-cross pattern until they were hand tight. I used my screwdriver to make sure it was fully secure (which I believe was the key mistake).

    After connecting all of the wires and managing them nicely, I booted my pc again. It stayed on for about half a second and turned itself off. I tried again, same result. Here's a list of things I tried and the conclusions I came to:

    -Disconnecting new cooler and fans from power - did this in case I was overdrawing the PSU. Not the issue. -Removing RAM - I got it to boot eventually but that was merely coincidental. Tried one stick (out of four) at a time and had different results with the same stick. -Removing the case connector cables and booting it by shorting the pins - just in case some strange shit was happening with my case power button. It was not.

    I proceeded to remove the block from the cpu to quickly boot it to get it to post, then turn it off before the cpu could get too hot. Lo and behold, it worked. After a few more hours of tweaking with the various things mentioned above, I figured out that when the cooler was attached to the cpu, it didn't like booting. I tried loosening it and results improved. I eventually got into windows, checked my thermals and they were all good. 40 degrees at idle (radiator fans in push + pull config). Ran cinebench r20 to check if everything worked correctly under load - CPU hit about 70 degrees and stayed there, but then everything crashed. Windows stood dead still. I hit the reset button only for it to turn itself completely off shortly after. I tried that all again, same result but it reset correctly. Ran cinebench one more time to test, same thing. At which point I gave up.

    My theory is that I've punctured the socket with the cpu pins after tightening the cooler on too hard. Looks like I'm gonna be at least £100 out trying to fix this shit.

    Can anyone tell me if I've missed something glaringly obvious or if my conclusion is just dumb?

    PCPartPicker list just in case that becomes relevant: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/cQkdnQ

    submitted by /u/headlesshorseman_
    [link] [comments]

    What’s the difference between the Ryzen 2600x and the 3600?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 01:03 AM PDT

    They both seem to have the same clock speeds and boost speeds as well as the same number of cores. However the 3600 is more expensive. Can someone explain why I should go with the 3600 instead of the 2600x?

    submitted by /u/NosduhDivad
    [link] [comments]

    What is a good GPU to upgrade to from a Nvidia GTX 1650 (4GB) with a $400 budget?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 03:25 AM PDT

    Ideally I'd like to get the 2070 super, but if that isn't realistic with a $400 budget, or if I have better options with a $400 budget, I'm interested in hearing what you guys have to say.

    submitted by /u/dingdamdon
    [link] [comments]

    Make my Setup better for $200 to $300 budget

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 08:12 AM PDT

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fZMyyk

    These are the parts I have, I obviously also need some storage. Thanks for the help.

    submitted by /u/iTorch
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice: GPU just died

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 11:36 AM PDT

    So I was planning on doing a full build in winter with the 3000 series gpus. I had planned a budget of a bit over $2000 for the build and a new 1440p 144hz monitor to replace my old 60hz one.

    But alas, my 989ti had other plans and killed itself today. I had been getting some pretty bad cool whine for the last few months, but after today's crash I have been crashing with increasing frequency.

    What should I do? Buy a cheap replacement GPU and try to sell it in winter? I might be able to sell the whole system on craigslist if it all works.

    Should I pull the trigger and try to buy a full build now? I am at a loss here. My card chose the worst possible timing to die on me.

    submitted by /u/TheHoblit
    [link] [comments]

    New build wont turn on (Help please!)

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 09:52 AM PDT

    Few days ago I interchanged my corsair psu cables and thermaltake psu. My pc would not boot up anymore. I thought I might have fried the mobo or psu so I ordered an identical mobo (b450tomahawk max) and a thermaltake rgb 750w and it still wont post. I bought the mobo as used but everything came sealed in box.

    I'm loosing my mind. Could the CPU be at fault? Or the ram? The motherboard debugging lights don't show any power, not even for the usbs.

    In the old motherboard at least the usbs would have power. The new board has nothing.

    I hooked up my gpu, cpu, cpu fan, and ssd's and ram in a breadboard config outside of the case. I tried shorting the power up pins.

    I'm loosing my mind. Please help me reddit.

    submitted by /u/helppc493838
    [link] [comments]

    new boot drive, old files still accesible?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 03:26 AM PDT

    Im upgrading my pc and will finally add an ssd while I'm at it. If I freshly install windows on the ssd and boot from it will I be able to acces the files from my old hdd? I want to use the new ssd and the old hdd at the same time. I figured it cant be as simple as hooking up the sata hdd with a complete old windows installation and all on it and then acces it right? There has to be some weir windows encryption that hinders me from reading that stuff. I cant image that it would be that straight forward. I know I cant play games and use programs I have on the old drive. I just want to acces my project files and media (of which there is a lot).

    My worst fear is that I have to pull everything off from the hdd, format it and put the files back on there while running windows from my new ssd.

    submitted by /u/CopeAfterCope
    [link] [comments]

    Does Ryzen 5 3600 and ASUS PRIME B450M-A work out the box?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 11:23 AM PDT

    I bought the motherboard as it was advertised that it would, I have found a few posts saying yes and no. Currently I cant get the system to post and believe this might be the issue

    Thanks

    Edit:

    My part list (havent put it in a case yet) Ryzen 5 3600 Asus Prime B450M-A TX 550 PSU Corsair vengeance CX16GX4M2B3200C16

    Have tried: Changing monitor and cable Switching all the parts with parts I know work apart from ram, which I then tried running the system without. Taking out the little battery and holding the on button to try to reset the board.

    Thanks again

    submitted by /u/Sconeappthebeef
    [link] [comments]

    First PC Just Making Sure Everything is Compatible

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 11:23 AM PDT

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pLTt4n

    Hello! I've had a pre built gaming pc for years but everything is so outdated that I've decided to build a new monster from scratch. I know a bit about computers as I've been on them my whole life, but I'm not super well versed, so I just wanted to know that everything here works well together. Cheers!

    submitted by /u/TheTrueTeller
    [link] [comments]

    Rate my pc build

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 04:02 AM PDT

    I'm building my first pc, it's mainly for gaming and programming. What do you think?

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600. (93€)

    GPU: SAPPHIRE PULSE Radeon RX 5600 XT 6G. (271€)

    MOBO: GIGABYTE B450M S2H. (62€)

    RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16Gb KIT DDR4 3000 MHz. (71€)

    STORAGE: Seagate BarraCuda HDD 1TB. (41€) ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro SSD 256GB. (47€)

    PSU: Seasonic S12III-500. (55€)

    CASE: FSP Fortron CMT240. (47€)

    Total: 687€

    submitted by /u/OftenLimited
    [link] [comments]

    To upgrade, or just buy new

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 01:16 PM PDT

    Situation is simple.

    My girlfriend wants a small gaming PC after spending countless hours on mine

    My specs are

    • Ryzen 5 2600 • Tomahawk B450 • RX 5700 XT • 16GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz • 250gb m.2 SSD • 1tb HDD

    I play at 1440p, she'll be playing at 1080p

    I came up with the idea of killing two birds with one stone and upgrading my CPU and Motherboard, wanted an upgrade anyway because I've had the ryzen for a year and a half and want something with a bit more power, she'll have a nice processor and motherboard combo to make spreadsheets and chrome or whatever fast and easy. Picked up an RX 570 today for £35 which was a lovely deal.

    However; I have absolutely no clue what CPU to move to next. 3600 looks tempting, but more of a side grade, I don't know anything about Intel, maybe a higher end ryzen?

    Any suggestions? Or would I be better off sorting her a lower end CPU + Mobo for cheaper

    submitted by /u/MacraggeBlue
    [link] [comments]

    First build and no display. Help.

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 01:13 PM PDT

    Everything seems good. Mouse and keyboard both connect but cant get any display. There is a cable that doesnt fit in my motherboard. Maybe thats why? Its labeled as floppy cable on my tx 550m crosair power supply box

    submitted by /u/HA0011
    [link] [comments]

    2080super, 2080ti or wait for 30XX series?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 03:24 AM PDT

    So i had a gtx 980, i7-4770 with 16gb ram, however a family member gave me a 2060 recently, which is kind of being bottlenecked by my cpu.

    Despite getting the new gpu, I was originally intending on upgrading my 7 year old pc at the end of this year and was initially gonna buy a 2080ti, but seeing as the 2080 super seems really good value, and at least in Australia is about $700 dollars cheaper, I was starting to consider getting that, especially given that I currently own a 1080p monitor. FIRST, would it be worth upgrading form a 2060 to a 2080 super, esepcially if I wanted to make the jump to 1440p or even at some point 4k? To be honest I was kind of dissapointed with the performance jump from a 980 to a 2060, and although i can see its FULL potential because of the slight to moderate bottleneck in some games, I am worried that going froma 2060 to a 2080super would only tack on another 20fps or so, and it would just be better for me to wait it out.

    Aside from that, I heard the new 30xx series will be releasing at some point soon, and I was wondering would it be better to wait and get a 30xx series, or buy a 2080super/ti once the new cards release, assuming that that would cause a drop in prices of the 20xx cards.

    On top of all this, my biggest concern is with the release of the new consoles at the end of the year. Given that the consoles always are holding back the PC games' full potential, I was thinking then that that would mean once the consoles release then all the required specs to run games in general would make a big leap, and thus good gpu's would become moderate gpu's, moderate gpu's would become bad gpu's.... etc. Obviously I dont want to go out and buy a top of the range pc parts, and then for the new consoles release and then that top of the range pc becomes only a decent pc or something to that affect. This was one of the big reasons why i didnt buy a pc last year and isntead waited to upgrade until after the consoles release

    submitted by /u/Jimmyban
    [link] [comments]

    First time PC builder

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 01:06 PM PDT

    Hey guys,

    This build is intended mainly for gaming. For games ranging from WoW to Total Warhammer 2 (and 3 when it releases), which I know can be quite intensive. I'm currently using a build from over 5 years ago now with no upgrades, which was my brothers so in desperate need of an upgrade. This is my first time attempting to build my own PC so it's all new to me.

    For games like WoW I'd like to be at a stable 60+ FPS while being on high-ultra graphics, I'm not sure if aiming for a computer that can run games like Total Warhammer 2 on top graphics with ease would necessarily be budget friendly but would be great. The screen resolution would be 1080p as that's what my monitor is at the moment.

    I think realistically my budget would be between £1-1.5k considering what I'm looking for, as well as having the build be somewhat future proof.

    These parts are being purchased in the UK.

    I was messing around with PC Specialist earlier trying to research which parts are best and create a best-case scenario with my limited knowledge, so go easy on me. I may have chosen parts that are maybe too good for what I need because I have a tendency to do that when planning projects like this.

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YWB4Gc

    submitted by /u/Ashmanic
    [link] [comments]

    Are AMD drivers fixed?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 12:49 PM PDT

    I want to buy a Sapphire Pulse RX 5600XT GPU, but I've heard bad things about the AMD drivers and I'd like to know if they are fixed before I buy the GPU.

    Also how hard is it to flash the GPU BIOS for a beginner? The specification tells you that BIOS flash will increase the memory speed to 14GHz instead of 12GHz.

    I seriously like that card but all those horror stories about the drivers and having to flash the BIOS made me hesitant.

    submitted by /u/IntergalacticAce
    [link] [comments]

    Should I install Windows on my 2 year old 500gb SSD, or on my new 1TB SSD? Or does it even matter?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 12:21 PM PDT

    I'm putting together a new PC and have parts on the way.

    My current PC has a 500gb SSD that I bought a couple years ago. Link

    The new 1TB SSD is a Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M.2. Link

    Which one should I install Windows on to, or does it not matter?

    submitted by /u/___DOUBLETROUBLE___
    [link] [comments]

    advice to improve performance.

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 03:30 AM PDT

    So i ran a userbenchmark on my pc - everything looked good, got pretty good bang for your buck when i got this pc about a year ago. However left some wiggle room to improve in needed

    I have a asus 1060 geforce 6gb which was the only issue when running the benchmarks

    however i was advised my ssd was also a problem.

    can only really afford to upgrade one or the other

    any advice/recommendations would be appreciated

    SSD: 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650 2.5" SSD - 520MB/s Read / 450MB/s
    Write (1 Drive)

    submitted by /u/dw2193
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment