• Breaking News

    Tuesday, December 24, 2019

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - December 24, 2019

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - December 24, 2019


    Simple Questions - December 24, 2019

    Posted: 24 Dec 2019 04:09 AM PST

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Upgraded from Air(Noctua NH-D15) to AIO (Corsair H150i Pro) - i9-9900ks - better results than expected

    Posted: 24 Dec 2019 03:08 AM PST

    Hi all,

    Read a lot of posts on this particular sub before making this upgrade so thought I would put my results here in case this helps someone

    I was quite unhappy with my temps while overclocking my 9900ks and started researching AIO's. More recommendations for air than AIO and most reviews I found seem to test really old CPU's for some reason (countless reviewers using 4790k, 6600k, 7700k etc) - temp comparisons I have seen anywhere from no improvement to +7c improvement when comparing the two

    My 9900ks overclocked pulls around 220w and I had a feeling the upgrade could be worth it, so I made the purchase today

    Previous setup: Master Case Pro 5 - Noctua NH-D15 with 2x140m fans, plus 6x 140mm case fans - 3 intake on front, 3 exhaust rear + top . Mesh front panel/top panel and no drive cages or any airflow obstruction , essentially the absolute best case scenario for air cooling

    New setup: Master Case Pro 5 - Corsair H150i Pro with included 3 fans in pull config and now 3x 140mm case fans as exhaust - rear/top

    System: Asus Z390 XI Gene-LLC Level5- 9900ks CPU- 1.4v set.

    Noctua NHD-15 thermal results in blender: 93c average, 96c max - all fans 100%

    Corsair H150i RGB thermal results in blender: 83c average, 86c max - case fans 100%, H150i on performance mode

    Have reduced 10 degrees in both average/max temps which is quite impressive . Would only imagine if someone had less airflow in their case they could possibly benefit even further with this particular AIO . Any questions feel free to hit me up

    edit: clearer screenshot https://postimg.cc/TpbRWr56

    edit2: a lot of comments re duration and temperatures. I don't have a need to run blender for more than the benchmark amount of time as I know the system is now stable. In gaming after a 4hr session I was at 41deg and the Noctua wasn't too much worse off either from memory , never really exceeding 50ish degrees after a gaming session

    Edit3: a picture of everything if interested https://postimg.cc/pmYXy1Pg

    submitted by /u/Unkzilla
    [link] [comments]

    SSD Upgrade: 1TB Sata vs NVMe (for Gaming and Editing)

    Posted: 24 Dec 2019 03:55 AM PST

    Hi.

    So I'm looking for a 1TB SSD to upgrade my PC. I currently only have a 120GB Samsung 840 Evo and it constantly hits its max capacity. So I want to upgrade.

    I have a couple of SSDs in mind:

    • Samsung 860 Evo (SATA) - 130€
    • Samsung 970 Evo (NVMe) - 170€
    • Crucial MX500 (SATA or M.2 SATA) - 110€ (both)
    • Intel 660P (NVMe) - 105€
    • WD Blue (M.2 SATA) - 110€

    The prices range from 100€ to 170€ and I don't really know what to get and what is worth the price.

    Could you help me?

    Also feel free to recommend other SSDs. I'd prefer it to stay cheaper.

    Thanks and merry christmas!

    Edit: Thx y'all! Just ordered the Intel 660P! :)

    submitted by /u/SirVampyr
    [link] [comments]

    Is 500w PSU enough?

    Posted: 24 Dec 2019 05:59 AM PST

    I want to know if my 500w 80+ bronze power supply could be enough to support my PC with a GTX 1070, a Ryzen 7 1800x base clock, 8 GB of 2400Mhz DDR4 DIMM and 1 TB hard drive at 7.2k rpm.

    submitted by /u/SomQuestion
    [link] [comments]

    GPU Upgrade from EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC+

    Posted: 24 Dec 2019 12:35 PM PST

    I have a 6GB GTX 980 TI SC+ w/ACX from EVGA. I got this card a few years ago refurbished and it's still performing exceptionally well, barring one constraint.

    I am looking at upgrading it as I recently got a 1440p monitor and it is struggling to push frames in demanding titles like Breakpoint & MHW.

    Currently evaluating the 2070 Super and the 5700XT as a replacement. As I understand the SC+ has a hefty factory overclock so I would like my new card to have similar relative performance and last a few years.

    I have also been pleased with EVGA but am not sure what the equivalent 'trim model' is in terms of the XC Gaming, XC Gaming+, FTW3, Ultra etc. I have also read good things about the ASUS Strix. I have not had a Radeon card since ~2010 but am running a 2700x w/ 16GB 3200mhz.

    Price point is not a big issue, I am just trying to avoid lighting money on fire as I've heard anything from team green above the 2070 Super is. As far as the 5700XT goes I am looking at the Red Devil.

    I don't really know much about Nvidia's proprietary technologies like RTX enough for it to be a major factor. It is pretty swanky?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/bae_flexin
    [link] [comments]

    Couple questions about getting a new GPU.

    Posted: 24 Dec 2019 04:16 AM PST

    Basically I am going to upgrade my GPU and will very likely be switching from an AMD to a Nvidia card. Is there any special steps I need to take to do that or should I be okay just formatting my boot drive and reinstalling Windows from my USB stick after I swap out the cards?

    I would likely be going from an AMD Radeon R9 390 to either a Nvidia 1660 TI or the 1660 Super.

    I would like a pretty decent upgrade without having to spend too much and my other parts are pretty old so I can really only afford to get a new graphics card. I'm also trying to take CPU bottlenecks into account as well. Budget is ~$250 USD. Would the 1660 be my best bet or do you have any other suggestions?

    Current specs;

    Board: Sabertooth X79
    CPU: Intel i7-4820K
    RAM: 32GB DDR3
    GPU: AMD R9 390

    Thanks for any help!

    submitted by /u/BuckNastysMamma
    [link] [comments]

    Help with Wi-Fi Distance

    Posted: 24 Dec 2019 08:44 AM PST

    I just built a pc today! My problem is that I got a MoBo with built-in Wi-Fi. But the distance it can get is minuscule even when it was under a foot away it was still one bar.

    The MoBo is ASrock B450M / a.c..

    What did I do wrong?

    submitted by /u/BizzaroPie
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen 2600X or Ryzen 7 2700x

    Posted: 24 Dec 2019 07:15 AM PST

    The 7 costs about 30$ more but I'm getting a little better performance and a better cooler. What should I do here? Buy a better cooler for the 2600X or just jump the gun. I have a 1660 super if that changes anything.

    submitted by /u/Turkelement1964
    [link] [comments]

    I just built a new system with a 3800x and I feel like something is off about the way it's idling

    Posted: 24 Dec 2019 04:35 AM PST

    Like the title says I have a new system with a 3800x, fresh install of Windows and all, and something feels off about the way it's idling. The temperatures on it are fine but my CPU fan is kind of going crazy because the processor is constantly changing clocks and boosting even when I'm just sitting at the desktop. I'm using MSI Afterburner to monitor the temps, which I know isn't as accurate as Ryzen Master which I also have, but the CPU fan constantly ramping up and down with the temps is slightly annoying.

    My Windows power plan is set to balanced and I have no OC settings aside from the processors own boost clocks set in the BIOS.

    My motherboard is an MSI MPG x570 Gaming Edge.

    Here is a link of what I'm talking about with a capture from MSI Afterburner.

    submitted by /u/Soxel
    [link] [comments]

    Good monitor for singleplayer/movies?

    Posted: 24 Dec 2019 05:58 AM PST

    My system: rtx 2070, i9-9900k, 16 gb g.skill DDR4-3200MHz I mostly play singleplayer games (playing "the outer worlds" at the moment) and sometimes some FPS games online, not competitive.

    I have been looking for hours but I can't decide. I have seen this one "BenQ ZOWIE XL2411P" but it looks like it's just for gaming fps games mostly.

    I would like something that has an overall good image quality and 120 or more hz.

    What would you recommend for maximum of 270€/300$?

    submitted by /u/LeDockester
    [link] [comments]

    Poor performance gaming

    Posted: 24 Dec 2019 12:03 PM PST

    What am I missing, why is my build running so poorly in D2? (On par or worse than my old desktop)

    Around 40-50fps with nothing going on, dropping to around 25-35 in combat. (With absolutely maxed settings)

    I have run the chipset update for my Mobo, CPU and GPU is up to date.

    Monitor is always connected to GPU not motherboard.

    Doom 2016 ran Ultra 1080p at 60fps. (Textures may have been struggling to load though)

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3d6BZ

    submitted by /u/BiggleDickle
    [link] [comments]

    Painted my GPU!

    Posted: 23 Dec 2019 05:25 PM PST

    About a month ago, I built my first PC.

    Here are some more pictures with a before and after! https://imgur.com/gallery/gdtTyHX

    and here is the PCPP link if you're interested: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/XstrolitePC/saved/9TZtpg

    Painting it was very easy, I used white Plastidip, and it was super easy with the Strix since I didn't have to remove the whole cooler, just the shroud. I highly recommend it if you're not satisfied with the color of your GPU!

    submitted by /u/Xstrolite
    [link] [comments]

    My new little (kinda) ITX build

    Posted: 24 Dec 2019 01:22 PM PST

    I have been wanting to do a smaller build that can fit on my desk without being a space heater for a while. This past week I decided to rip apart my perfectly working ATX build and move to a newer and smaller ITX. I basically salvaged everything from my old build except the motherboard, processor, and of course the case.

    Notes:

    1. Upgraded my 1600X to a 3600X on that basis that it is probably the last Ryzen chip I can slap in a B450 board. Figured might as well get it while its semi new.
    2. Chose B450 as X570 had little appeal to me since I was not upgrading drives and I only have a 1070 Ti. Also X570 prices seem a little wonky to me. My last board was an ASRock AB350 K4 Fatality and I loved it, so I stuck with ASRock and their Fatal1ty series. ASRock has a great UEFI BIOS imo.
    3. Reluctantly kept my Corsair H60 cooler. It is loud and whiny and I hate it. Ordered a new Phantek radiator fan last night in hopes of it being quieter and fitting the build better (white blades)...but I am willing to scrap the H60 in general and maybe go back to a 212 Evo or something. Please give recommendations!
    4. Considering a new modular PSU with white cables from cablemod. Purely for aesthetics.

    New build:

    • Ryzen 5 3600X (H60 cooler...sucks I know. Please give new recommendations!)
    • ASRock B450 Fatal1ty Gaming ITX
    • Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200
    • MSi 1070 Ti Duke (BARELY FITS. Seriously, 0mm gap. Had to take front fans out and wiggle them in from the front)
    • TT Smart 600W 80+
    • Samsung 850 EVO 250Gb (OS and important stuff) + Samsung 850 EVO 1Tb (games)
    • NZXT H210 case

    TLDR; New build. It's ITX. I hate my H60 cooler on a personal level. Please recommend CPU coolers/AIO for a case of this size. Any other input is appreciated.

    https://imgur.com/KHKXEi9

    submitted by /u/_Zoulandr_
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions

    Posted: 24 Dec 2019 11:14 AM PST

    Ryzen 3 2200g Rx 570 4gb 2x4gb 2666hz Msi b450m gaming plus 1tb HDD No SSD. No monitor(using a 720p 32in tv)

    Got a little under 150. What should I get to upgrade my pc first? A ssd, monitor, cpu or gpu upgrade?

    submitted by /u/AzazelSaxon
    [link] [comments]

    A used GPU good or bad?

    Posted: 24 Dec 2019 10:53 AM PST

    Im looking at buying a used 1070 ti or 1080 do yall think thats a good idea or should i just save up

    Edit: thanks everyone for the advice

    submitted by /u/johnnydawg109
    [link] [comments]

    Are any of these good deals??

    Posted: 24 Dec 2019 12:21 PM PST

    submitted by /u/OliDaKilla
    [link] [comments]

    Graphics Card Not Detected on New Build?

    Posted: 24 Dec 2019 09:20 AM PST

    So I just got the parts for my first PC in 12 years or so, and armed solely with YouTube knowledge, I (foolishly) decided to build it myself. Important spec is as follows:

    • Ryzen 5 2600
    • Asus ROG Strix X370-F
    • Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB
    • Corsair CX-650M
    • XFX RX-590 Fatboy

    The PC was... able to turn - which is a relief for first time builders. The power/reset button and underglow LED of the 275R works; the RGB lights on the motherboard works; both Corsair RAMs glow up; all three fans (2 casing, 1 CPU) are running, and; the fans on the RX 590 runs, and both LED is blue, meaning it is powered. But that's as far as I get. I can't get any display and the motherboard Q LED is white, signifying that there's an issue with the VGA. I've tried switching it to other PCI slots, but results are the same.

    I know some people have asked something like this, but, you know - I don't think I've seen a single soul with an ROG X370-F and XFX Fatboy, so I didn't find anything specific.. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/DepressedGh0ul
    [link] [comments]

    Are my fans in the correct position?

    Posted: 24 Dec 2019 11:53 AM PST

    BSOD, irql not less or equal to, kernel security check, and system service exception error

    Posted: 24 Dec 2019 11:48 AM PST

    just put together my pc last week, had no issues till last night whenever i try to load a game i get bsod. i've reinstalled windows, ran a memory test, made sure all drivers were updated. Would really appreciate and help.

    submitted by /u/potato1367
    [link] [comments]

    Need help choosing monitor (2600x, 1660 Ti)

    Posted: 24 Dec 2019 01:54 PM PST

    I was planning a build: 2600 and 580 8gb but then saw a craigslist ad for basically the build I was aiming for, so I pulled the trigger and just bought it:

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor

    Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard

    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4-3000 Memory

    Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB Windforce

    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower HAF

    Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550 W 80+ Gold Fully Modular ATX

    +Windows 10 Home

    For $640
    (I think I got a deal, maybe like $100+ off, he said he bought all new components a few months ago, hardly used not OC'd)

    I have a mouse + keyboard, so now all I need is a monitor. I did my research (on reddit) and many people recommend a 1080/144hz 24" or 1440/75hz 27"

    For $120, AOC 24G1 sounds good, I'm leaning towards that
    I've also looked on craigslist and ebay but there aren't as many options as I thought, and similar prices to just buying new
    Any recommendations for my build?
    I like to play Warcraft 3, Dota 2, Diablo 2 and 4 (soon), some FPS later

    I have a decent tv for movies, so this would be mainly gaming and youtube videos
    ISP and G/Freesync sound great too but I don't want to spend 140+

    What do you guys recommend?

    submitted by /u/jsdavis777
    [link] [comments]

    Can crashing during disk defragmentation cause any issues?

    Posted: 24 Dec 2019 01:49 PM PST

    Hi, I was on my 5th pass and around 80% done but the program stopped responding and I was forced to end it through task manager after like 20 minutes. Can this cause any issues for my pc?

    submitted by /u/AniliusOW
    [link] [comments]

    Gpu for new pc

    Posted: 24 Dec 2019 01:36 PM PST

    Should I return my powercolor red devil 5700xt and go for an rtx card? Im thinking of getting a 2060s, I know the performance is worse but stability is more important for me, already had 2 minor crashes while playing

    submitted by /u/Kenshiro98
    [link] [comments]

    Sell and rebuild or upgrade 7700k system?

    Posted: 24 Dec 2019 07:36 AM PST

    Hello, good morning, you beautiful lot!

    I face a bit of a conundrum in regards to the pursuit of my 1080p/144hz soon to be 240hz gaming rig.

    I am planning on buying the RTX 2080 Super and I am wondering if the 7700k has enough juice to keep me going at 240 fps on games like Siege, CS:GO, and above 144fps in single-player games such as Metro Exodus, Sekiro, etc.

    I'm debating on whether it'd be better to just bite the bullet now and sell my current system cheap to my father in law and rebuild, or if the 7700k still has some high frame gaming left in the tank.

    I usually play on medium settings or whatever is the most balanced in terms of fps/quality on account of singleplayer games, and I play on the lowest possible on esport games.

    Love to hear your thoughts!

    My expected rebuild would be 3900x RTX Ampere, I would fall back on my secondary 1500x/RX 580 and GTX 780m laptop in the time being.

    I'm not confident in my delid and oc skills either. I know I wasted money on the K chip, but I was so sure I'd do it!

    Current specs: 7700k 1070 32GB 3000MHz

    EDIT: I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays!

    submitted by /u/FLGT12
    [link] [comments]

    Tried upgrading memory on PC. Now I am unable to boot.

    Posted: 24 Dec 2019 11:19 AM PST

    I purchased an IDENTICAL 16gb memory kit as the one I already have installed, and am now being faced with a recovery screen on boot. At this screen my computer is virtually unresponsive.

    It reads:

    "The header checksum for this file doesn't match the computed system.

    File:\WINDOWS\system32\winload.exe Error code: 0xc0000221

    You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or usb device), contact your pc administrator or pc manufacturer."

    For clarity here are my specs:

    Motherboard: ASUS tuf gaming b450-plus CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 Memory: G Skill ripjaws DDR4-3200 8GBx2 GPU: ASUS strix 1070ti PSU: EVGA supernova 650 G3 80 plus gold

    Windows is installed on a Samsung 860 ssd

    Not sure how necessary all that info is, but rather have too much than not enough.

    Any help is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/majorasphlask
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment