• Breaking News

    Wednesday, August 25, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - August 25, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - August 25, 2021


    Simple Questions - August 25, 2021

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    How much did you pay for your gpu?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 04:05 AM PDT

    i paid 650 € for my rtx 3060 ti

    submitted by /u/anandmohandas
    [link] [comments]

    I'm pretty sure the tech at the computer store just lied

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 12:20 PM PDT

    Heya,

    so because I work too much and didn't had time to build my new 16 cores pc with 64 gig of ram, I gave it to a shop. Ten days ago, they lied to me on the phone telling me it would take 1 or 2 days, which I ignored because in the past they took 3 weeks to do a simple repair. I was fine with that.

    They kept my PC parts for 10 days before I decided to call them today. The poor young lad at the phone told me it was nearly ready and that they were running some tests but because there's 16 cores those tests were taking some time (ie days) but they could "magically" cancel them and get it ready in an hour. I'm a lady, sure lad, but I've been working in IT for years and I can smell bullshit. The kid was way too nervous about it to sound true.

    Now I'm not that knowledgeable, but am I wrong to think that by "tests" that last days, it's code for "we installed steam on your machine and had a blast", or could I be wrong? I don't really mind, too busy during the week to go get it, but I chuckled inside. Gave them 48h to finish their "tests" properly.

    Otherwise, just curious, what kind of tests could it be?

    submitted by /u/FrenchFrozenFrog
    [link] [comments]

    building my first PC in over 10 years

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 02:22 AM PDT

    Hey,

    I'm mostly a console gamer wanting to go back to PC. I'm out of the loop in regards to current technology, so basically I have no idea what I'm doing ;) However I did some reading and I think I've came up with a reasonable setup. I'd like to hear your opinion on my choices and maybe clear some of my doubts or even suggests improvements (similarly priced ideally). I'm planning to use this PC almost exclusively for gaming in 1440p.

    Here's the setup:

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x (is box cooler enough? at least initially)

    Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite

    Memory: Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) 3600MHz CL16 Ballistix Black OR Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz CL16 Vengeance LPX Black - they're similarly priced, not sure which one to choose (Corsair is cheaper by ~12$ fwiw)

    SSD: WD sn550 blue 1TB

    PSU: SilentiumPC Supremo FM2 650W 80 Plus Gold (is 650W enough?)

    GPU: here's where I think I'm undecided yet, I'm torn between 3060 TI or 6700xt, leaning more towards 6700xt (they're similarly priced where I'd be buying). Which one would you recommend? Is there a merit to having both cpu and gpu from AMD? Also price range within 6700xt from even the same manufacturer is wide, I understand there are different versions, but how important is it to go for the pricer ones. Is the difference in performance noticeable? Is there any specific model of 6700xt that standouts among other?

    Thanks in advance for any input!

    submitted by /u/eqgoki
    [link] [comments]

    PSU just went bang!

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 10:23 AM PDT

    So this is a new one for me, my Corsair AX1500i blew a component today. There was a loud bang/crack sound and a burning smell and now the PSU is dead as a dodo.

    I've pulled it out of my build and given it power from the wall but there's no life and not even the self test LEDs light up. I tried a new fuse in the power lead but same thing.

    So now I've raised a ticket with Corsair and await the RMA process. PSU is 3 years old but the warranty is 10 years on this model so should be ok but now my rig is down while I wait and I'm just hoping the PSU didn't blow anything else when it died!

    Just wanted to share my bad luck 🙁

    submitted by /u/Mat_UK
    [link] [comments]

    Best PC case to fit the Noctua NH-D15

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 02:28 AM PDT

    I can't seem to find any cases that will fit the cooler and actually close the PC case. My current case can fit it but because of the RAM height, i have to remove the second cooler fan.

    Any recommendation for a PC case with more than 165mm CPU clearance height? Or is there anything else i could do like swap RAMs? Thanks

    submitted by /u/XFXXCV
    [link] [comments]

    I just want to play Lawn Mower Simulator on the highest settings. Please help me upgrade my pc and live my best life.

    Posted: 24 Aug 2021 08:12 PM PDT

    UNNECESSARY CONTEXT:

    Been gaming on my old Lenovo Thinkpad with an ever-growing list of unplayed Steam games, bought on sale to play when I someday upgrade the ol' desktop pc (eg: Witcher 3, No Man's Sky, various Bioshocks, Borderlands 3, etc).

    Those I could wait to play indefinitely while I chipped away at their earlier versions.

    But to not be able to mow the British countryside in Lawn Mowing Simulator - that was the stone that gouged this mower's blade. The suffering that I endured while trying to play it on first boot up was immeasurable.

    It played just well enough on lowest settings to see how exhilirating the gameplay is, but it was so laggy and slow that I found myself understanding how a man like Anakin could come to wantonly slaughter so many younglings at the jedi temple. It was the worst disappointment I've ever known.

    But I've cried out all my tears and it's time for me to upgrade my old desktop. Please help me.

    ACTUAL APPEAL:

    Budget: $1000-$2000 CAD

    Timeline: over the next month

    Location: Vancouver, Canada

    Specs:

    OS - Windows 7 professional
    CPU - Intel Core i5 4570
    RAM - 16 GB dual-channel DDR3
    GRAPHICS - Intel HD Graphics 4600
    MOTHERBOARD - ASUSTEK B85M-G (socket 1150)
    STORAGE - 111 GB Samsung SSD + 931 GB Western Digital wdc WD10EZEX

    Objectives: play lawn mower simulator WITH a steering wheel/pedal setup, along with any other game listed above. No Man's Sky gave me a notice that I believe said it wouldn't play on my laptop's Integrated Intel chip, so I'd like to avoid that problem.

    I imagine I'll have to replace everything, but perhaps some of this is worth holding onto? Any advice will be very much appreciated, thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/martian_lights
    [link] [comments]

    big headache from deciding which graphic card to take (the need to have the best)

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 09:16 AM PDT

    my head is broken and i don't know what to take, 3070/3070ti/3080

    in my feelings i know 3070 will be enough, but that need to have the best is doing me headache...

    i'm afraid to regret/make mistakes :( i only have monitor 1440p 144hz no pc, only simple laptop.

    i'm not really good with decisions.. (coming from BPD)

    submitted by /u/Ability_Weird
    [link] [comments]

    Does MHz on ram matter?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 12:58 PM PDT

    So i was just wondering if ram MHz matters, cause my friend bought a 4000 MHz ram and my other friend said that it was not a worthy purchased and that he could have gotten himself something else.

    Now my friend bought himself a Ripjaws V 16gb 4000 MHz cl16 and my other friend suggested that he should have bought a Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16gb 3200 MHz cl16.

    Now i'm not an expert in knowing whats the best ram MHz, but i have done some research and found that the most recommended ram MHz is around 3200 and 3600, which the 3600 hits the sweet spot.

    However i would really like to know wether or not my friend f-up on his purchased and bought a ram thats not even worth using money on.

    Btw Ripjaws cost 181 dollars Corsair cost 136 dollars

    submitted by /u/Strange_Bed_2854
    [link] [comments]

    So I saw this meme. 200 IQ or -200IQ?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 02:03 AM PDT

    TQWVBjP.png (1000×981) (imgur.com)

    Description: The dude let his radiators near air conditioner.

    submitted by /u/nhansieu1
    [link] [comments]

    what's all the extra stuff needed for the pc

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 07:21 AM PDT

    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/zyG0/saved/#view=pP9DZL

    this is my list i have all the major stuff needed,so i gotta ask,what are all the cable stuff needed? idk anything abt those just the major parts like gpus and cpus,can someone just link me the stuff?

    submitted by /u/Strange_Team_4873
    [link] [comments]

    Dell XPS 8940 adding RAM

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 12:28 PM PDT

    Hi, I got a XPS 8940 recently and had issues with it. I talked them into upgrading my memory from 2x8GB to 3x8GB as a compensation and ended up getting an extra 8GB 2933MhZ RAM stick. I wonder if I could buy another brand of memory to put in dual with it. I asked for 4x8GB but they wouldn't give that extra stick and the memory is ridiculously pricy on dell.com . I also want to avoid spending any extra penny after the painful process it was getting my PC issues solved.

    submitted by /u/fredrb28
    [link] [comments]

    Should I Sell My GPU?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 08:59 AM PDT

    I got an offer for my 1080ti there's a person willing to give me 700$ Do I take it? I would be stuck on my integrated browsing internet and watching ytb. Thanks for answers

    submitted by /u/bervalol
    [link] [comments]

    Does a higher refresh rate with a lower fps rate affect gaming and general usage?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 01:49 PM PDT

    Say, for example, I found an IPS 240 Hz monitor for around the same price as a 144 Hz, and it also comes with g sync, while I'll be using a Ryzen 5 5600x with an RTX 3060 TI, which would come around a 100 to 130 fps on games I would be playing, how would this affect my gaming?

    submitted by /u/Sugoiboi809
    [link] [comments]

    Unscrewing M2 screw on B550 Aorus Elite mobo

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 01:42 PM PDT

    Hi Im currently (attempting) to build the first PC with my brother. So far everything went pretty smoothly, but an hour ago we got to installing the M2 SSD, which we assumed would be one of the easier parts but we are completely stuck in this as the M2 screw seems Impossible to loosen, absolutely 0 grip no matter which screwdriver we use, to the point where Im starting to think we are not suppposed to unscrew it. Any advice ist appreciated.

    pics of the screw

    submitted by /u/Eustass-D-Kidd
    [link] [comments]

    The "can I put my GPU in the second PCIEx16 slot?" question, 2021 edition

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 01:30 PM PDT

    Hi reddit, I've searched online but posts go back a few years and I haven't found consistent information from the last year or so; a lot of conflicting info from people saying both "yes" and "no" for various reasons.

    Furthermore, I have read the instruction manual for my mobo (the "Expansion Slots" section) and I've tried my best to understand it but I cannot get my head around the technicalities (sorry)!

    So here it is again:

    "Can I install my GPU on the second PCIEx16 slot without taking a performance hit?"

    I understand that with older or less-featured motherboards, the second slot doesn't have as much bandwidth or performance as the top slot, but with more modern or higher-end boards I was under the impression that this may no longer be the case but I'm not sure?

    Disclaimer: I consider myself "above average" but not "enthusiast" level of knowledge.

    Reasons for moving GPU: cosmetic and airflow reasons lol it's that simple. This is by no means that critical or important, so not interested in going a riser cable.

    My system:

    • CPU = AMD Ryzen 5600X
    • Mobo = ASUS STRIX X570-E Gaming
    • GPU = AORUS 3070 Master

    So I know my top slot runs in PCIE 4.0 x16 mode. Question is, if I move my GPU to the second slot, will it also be able to run in PCIE 4.0 x16 mode?

    Many thanks in advance 🙏

    submitted by /u/fractal_imagination
    [link] [comments]

    Smoking case fan, melted sata cable

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 01:29 PM PDT

    Hey everyone, Today I was building a pc inside the Thermaltake View 51 case. This case has a fan controller and the fan controller has a sata cable on it. I connected the sata cable to the PSU and I started the pc. I noticed that the fans of the case started smoking and the sata cable that came from the fan controller melted. Now I am afraid that the motherboard or cpu is also damaged because the 24 pin and 8 pin cpu power was also connected to the psu at that time. However, the sata cable that melted and the fans that smoked have nothing to do with the motherboard it was just connected to the psu. What should I do? Why did the fans smoke? Can someone guide me please?

    Photo of melted cable: https://imgur.com/a/v6T30wH

    submitted by /u/Redcan12345
    [link] [comments]

    New build friday! Need some clarity on startup procedure.

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 01:28 PM PDT

    Let me just preface by saying I have had no PC experience before a few months ago when I purchased an HP omen prebuilt with an i9 10850K & RTX 3070, 16GB Kingston hyperX ram, 512GB gen 3 m.2. I have quickly learned the downsides of a prebuilt PC, and despite having already sunk more money into this than I would have liked to, I really do enjoy having the PC for gaming and productivity. I have been a long time Apple and PlayStation user, so all this is quite different to me. I have done a lot of research, and decided to rebuild this prebuilt to my liking. I have the parts all on the way, and am going to build on Friday if everything is here on time. I am replacing the case with the fractal meshify compact, as well as installing a liquid freezer 240 AIO on the top of the case, and MSI mpg Z490 gaming edge WiFi motherboard. I have already added an additional 1TB m.2 for games and extra fans which I will move over to the new build. So I would like to completely ditch HP and any trace of them on my PC, as this has turned into a much larger headache then I bargained for. The part I need to know is what I need to do to get a complete fresh start (clean drives) and clean copy of windows (I have copies of important stuff on an external drive). I am confused as to if I need to download a windows install drive, or a bios update / flash off MSI site for my board, or both and the exact process for doing so. I do have a 16GB usb drive ready to use. Also should I delete the files on my m.2 drives before moving them to the new board, or do I just select format while setting them up in bios for the first time? Lastly, not a huge concern if I have to pay for windows, but I believe the key is on my prebuilt product, can I use that when installing the new windows and does that tie it to hp in any way? Thanks for the help clearing this up for me.

    submitted by /u/GDK8318
    [link] [comments]

    Should I buy a PC rn?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 07:27 AM PDT

    I have a limited budget for a PC, so should I wait for the prices and stuff to go back to normal before I buy it? I do have a Xbox one s so I can still game in that time so no worries there

    submitted by /u/gamerrayyan11
    [link] [comments]

    will rubbing plastic against cpu damage it?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 11:07 AM PDT

    was placing my cooling unit against the cpu to make sure it fit, left the plastic cover on it to avoid messing up the cpu. worried the plastic might damage it with static. Ryzen 9 5900 btw

    submitted by /u/tapmcshoe
    [link] [comments]

    Best software to clone OS from sata SSD to M.2?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 04:34 AM PDT

    Just recently got my build completed and was looking around on how to clone my OS from my sata (256 gb) to new m.2 (500 gb). Is macrium good for it? Or is there something better out there?

    Edit: Thanks for the quick answers, got all the help I need for now.

    submitted by /u/Novalnfinite
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on building PC now or later

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 01:14 PM PDT

    I have decided I want to build a PC but the expensive GPU prices have got me questioning whether or not I should wait. I know I eventually want to play games that require a decent GPU to run, however, currently I would be content with a rig that can run light games (league, overwatch, etc) and do some photo editing on Photoshop. I am wondering if it's worth it to build a PC with integrated graphics (i was thinking i5- 10400) and then buy a GPU in a couple years or just wait a couple and build everything at once. I currently have a laptop that can do all of this but not very well.

    Essentially, would it be financially stupid to buy everything but a GPU now or just buy everything a couple years when newer tech is out. For reference, I want to keep my total build around 1000. I was thinking of a I5-10400, B560 mobo, 16GB ram, and anything above a 1050 Ti performance wise.

    submitted by /u/primeshrimp
    [link] [comments]

    Wich 140 fans/ fan setup - Fractal Define 7

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 10:37 AM PDT

    I need some help with fans.

    My build looks like this.The case is a full closed and insulated Fractal Define 7. In the top is a 360 AIO with 3x 120mm exhaust fans. In the front are the same 3x 120mm fans for intake and at the rear in another one for exhaust.

    What would be the best fan setup/ 140 setup/ 140 fans i could use/ get?

    Possible mountings.

    I didn't knew it's better to have 140mm fans, cause everyone is just talking about 120mm. Since i now this, i want to get 140s. I got a glass side panel, i was thinking about rgb but i couldn't find enough tests for the Corsair QL's or the Lian Li AL's performance, which are my favorite rgb fans.

    I just read the QL 120 are very bad for radiators but how about the Ql 140? But i guess because i have a closed top, i need something different to handle this.

    Before i knew 140s are better, i was just reading about 120s. The overall best 120 is the Noctua NF-A12x25, right? They also stated this on their website, even if you get other 120 fans for specific use cases, the A12x25 will outperform them. I heard the Thermaltake Toughfan 12 are a copy of the Noctua and perform very similar and the Phanteks T30-120 could beat the Noctua. Thats all i know about the 120s, but i don't know anything about 140s, just that they're quieter at the same performance as a 120.

    Edit: And i just realized my GPU is sagging for some reasons. Nice!

    submitted by /u/WRDKH
    [link] [comments]

    Where should i get a gpu?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2021 12:43 PM PDT

    So i've wanted a card for a while now, my old gpu is starting to act up (1050 ti) and its just getting old. I've been looking at ebay and I've found a couple of 3060ti posts, but I'm not sure if I want to trust them. And everywhere else they're sold out or $3,000. I'm just looking for a good replacement gpu that can survive for a while and still act better. (needs to be able to run 1440p 144hz) any ideas on what gpu and where to get it?

    submitted by /u/yeetocheetoi
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment