• Breaking News

    Tuesday, August 24, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - August 24, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - August 24, 2021


    Simple Questions - August 24, 2021

    Posted: 24 Aug 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    The current state of the PC components market - A message from your mod team

    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 02:06 PM PDT

    Howdy folks,

    As you may or may not be aware, the PC component market is reeling from a multitude of factors. Graphics Cards are extremely hard to come by, selling out instantly even at inflated prices and being resold on the second hand market for many times their original retail price. However the issues run deeper than this with a combination of Covid-19, cryptocurrency mining, tariffs, production limitations and other supply and demand factors coinciding to mean that finding graphics cards has become incredibly frustrating and the pricing on some other components is inflated whilst availability is limited. This situation has persisted since late 2020 and current trends do not show any sign of improvement for GPU availability specifically.

    We all want to build great PCs, and right now it's hard and that sucks.

    We ask for your help during these shortages by requesting that you pay mind to the following:

    • We cannot predict when this situation will ease or end. No one has a crystal ball.

    • Don't ask us how to buy a GPU. You can read about others' experiences and see if you can emulate them with the time and skills you have available, but no-one has an easy answer. People are finding GPUs at retail and patience is one of the primary methods that yields rewards.

    • Some people might decide to use bots to assist them in making a purchase. On /r/buildapc, we do not condone the discussion, recommendation or advertisement of bots.

    • Please don't get scammed. This is a fraught market and fraudsters will exploit your desire to buy a GPU. If a product is being sold by a third party below market price in all probability it is bait for a scam. Never send money by bank transfer, Paypal Friends & Family, or strange cash apps you've not heard of until your seller suggests them. Engage in any non-retail transaction with extreme caution. Ensure any payments you make are covered by robust buyer protection. We will not permit topics such as 'Is this a scam?' or 'Did I get scammed?'

    • Do not offer to sell or ask to buy components in this subreddit or via direct message. Posts will be removed and posters banned.

    • Be kind to one another. Some people may choose to pay inflated prices. Other people may mine with their GPUs. Neither of those make abuse or harassment acceptable and we will take action against breaches of our rules concerning civility.

    In the meantime there are ways to build a PC now despite the GPU shortage:

    You could build a stop-gap system with graphics output integrated into the CPU or search for cheaper older used cards such as the AMD RX480/570/580 or Nvidia GTX 970/1060. Somne weaker cards are no longer optimal for mining and so may be more readily available. There are many possible solutions, and we're sure the buildapc community can help you if you need a PC right now and can't wait for supply to catch up to demand.

    To keep the rest of the subreddit on topic, please keep discussion of the GPU shortages, retail frustrations, etc. to this thread only. Other submissions will be removed.

    (Reviewed 24th August 2021)

    submitted by /u/OolonCaluphid
    [link] [comments]

    Flippin my shit rn

    Posted: 23 Aug 2021 10:16 PM PDT

    UPDATE!: mobo defaulted to a uefi drive, not my actual harddrive, so when i booted to that, it started right up! BIGGG thanks to u/Switchen for this suggestion!

    Ryzen 5 5600x Msi MPG b550 RTX 3060 Corsair Vengeance 2x16

    just listing these so you know what i just destroyed

    I just upgraded my ram from 2x8 3000 mhz to the above 2x16 3600mhz, but i thought i would also run the old ram because it has a lower cl rating (cl15 vs cl18.) i then researched if this was even necessary, to which i found out it wasn't, so i pulled one of the old 2x8 sticks out WHILE THE COMPUTER WAS STILL RUNNING. it immediately died and now it only boots straight to bios. the ez debug led is illuminating CPU, what can i even do at this point?

    submitted by /u/xzafex
    [link] [comments]

    EVGA Queue finally poppped. Worth it to upgrade a 1070Ti to a 3060Ti?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2021 10:49 AM PDT

    Running at 1440p. I have 8 hours to decide. The total comes to a little over $500 shipped. Do you think I should snag this and sell my old card? Just not sure at the moment.

    This is the model https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-08g-p5-3663-kl/p/N82E16814487540

    EDIT: Popped lol.

    submitted by /u/Stevie_Handjobs
    [link] [comments]

    Do you think a 3080 is a good purchase for future proofing my system even if I still have a 1080p monitor with all the shortages

    Posted: 24 Aug 2021 11:21 AM PDT

    I've been looking at getting a 3060 ti for my system but do you think it's not a bad idea to get a 3080 to future proof in case the gpu shortages keep on going for a year or 2 and with the possibility of next generations prices being ridiculous? And I'm speaking ideally if I was able to get them around MSRP from Newegg shuffle or something similar

    submitted by /u/Justatadd-
    [link] [comments]

    What should I be asking or looking out for when buying a pre-owned PC?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2021 04:13 AM PDT

    What should I be asking or looking out for when buying a pre-owned PC?

    I am looking at getting a PC, I have found a Pre-owned one online for $1300 AUS, it's specs are

    GPU - Gigabyte RTX 2060 6gb CPU - i7 6700 3.40 ghz Ram - 16 gb 3200mhz Fans for cooling 500 gb ssd 2tb HDD Psu-650W 80+ Bronze Mobo-H170 Asus Pro Gaming

    What should I be making sure of and asking questions about before buying. I want to make sure it is not too old or the parts are too used.

    Thank You

    submitted by /u/DimondAlo65
    [link] [comments]

    Gaming PC =/≠ Workstation PC?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2021 05:29 PM PDT

    Hey friends,

    I'm still learning when it comes to computer building and I had a question that's been confusing me as I browse both pre-builts and parts for a custom build. Im working twords a computer I can use for gaming, editing and streaming. Heavy workload stuff with a lot of different opinions on what's "best" for the CPU, GPU, and memory. When I watch YouTube and read suggestions around the internet I see a lot of people mention gaming PCs, saying things like "it'll also be able to handle heavy tasks like 4k editing and animation," but I never hear anyone say "your workstation will also be able to easily run games."

    I guess my question is simple, is there a difference between Workstations and Gaming computers that amounts to something substantial? From what I read/watch, it seems that the majority of gaming PCs can handle workstation tasks, but I never see anyone say vice versa and was really wanting that cleared up.

    Also, if one can do both, what exactly IS considered a workstation instead of a game station? Can one of them do both, or are each specific to their class?

    Sorry if this is a silly question. If I phrased something poorly, please let me know and I'll try to clarify.

    submitted by /u/Mushcapp
    [link] [comments]

    PC Case, Optional or Necessary?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2021 07:54 AM PDT

    is casing for my pc parts necessary? could i just let my pc parts out in the open? is a frame made out of wood viable? im trying to cut down costs on making a pc setup, what are some other ways to cut down on the costs? pc setup making can get quite expensive.

    submitted by /u/SNOUMANN
    [link] [comments]

    Identifying an old PC case

    Posted: 24 Aug 2021 11:45 AM PDT

    Hey all, my father had this case prior to passing it down to me years ago, would have been mid 2000s. I'm just curious what it was and who made it? I no longer have it anymore, this image is from 2012 but at that point it must have been about 5-6 years old.

    It looks similar to some of the Skyhawk cases, especially considering it had LED bubble lights on either side of the front panel but I can't find a matching model.

    https://i.imgur.com/S1L4oFX.png

    submitted by /u/Rossrox
    [link] [comments]

    Is 500w enough for a Ryzen 5 5600x and a GTX 1650?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2021 01:44 AM PDT

    Hey guys, I am wondering if a Ryzen 5 will work with a GTX 1650 and a 500w EVGA PSU. For further info, my mobo is a Asus prime B450 and I have a 1tb Seagate barracuda plus a Kingston ssdnow. Please respond with your ancwers :)

    submitted by /u/AppropriateBar3184
    [link] [comments]

    My pc stopped turning on fully

    Posted: 24 Aug 2021 09:32 AM PDT

    Hi everyone I recently moved my computer and now it won't seem to display anything and is only "half turning on". What I mean by this is that when I flick the on switch all the rgb turns on and the fans but it won't produce a signal to my monitors. Also the kraken cooler unit on the cpu is just giving me the spinning default rgb colors. Also my keyboard and mouse which are plugged into the motherboard aren't getting a signal either. Really frustrating. If anyone knows anything or has a suggestion besides,"make sure it's plugged in" let me know. Work your magic, build a pc.

    submitted by /u/B3Gum
    [link] [comments]

    60hz vs 120hz vs 144hz vs 240hz monitor, is there a significant difference?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2021 11:09 PM PDT

    Which one is the best option? in terms of what can gives, power comsuption, real value vs price, i dont know too much, i just realized that i used to pick the monitor before for the price and the brand, now i want to know how to actually chose the right one, but i dont see any improvements between 144hz to 240hz, this means thats the limit? or i cant see the subtle things that really it can give?

    submitted by /u/XTheLolX
    [link] [comments]

    Change from 1080p to 1440p, can my pc handle it?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2021 12:04 PM PDT

    Hi all. Had an itch for upgrades for ages now but with the current pricing I'm not going to bother. But then I started thinking about monitors.

    I currently have an AOC 24inch 144hz Gsync monitor for about 5 years. Served me well and have no complaints.

    My current PC runs a Ryzen 5 3600 and an AMD 5700.

    Would it be possible to run games well at 1440p? When I went to 144hz I was blown away. Should I look for the same at 1440p or is 60hz plenty ? Thinking of 27 inch.

    My main game is World of Warcraft but soon will also have a heavy mix of BF2042 and Baldurs Gate 3.

    I play then a range of single player games very now and then like GTA, Red Dead , Cyberpunk , Witcher 3 and cities skylines as examples.

    If my rig could handle it, what would be some suggestions for a monitor.

    I have a Dell 4K 27inch on my desk beside me for work with a MacBook and it's pretty slick.

    submitted by /u/Furyio
    [link] [comments]

    AMD equivalent of an Intel i5 3570K

    Posted: 24 Aug 2021 02:01 PM PDT

    Intel i5 3570K AMD equivalent?

    submitted by /u/Porky0G
    [link] [comments]

    What do I upgrade to from a 1080 GPU

    Posted: 24 Aug 2021 11:46 AM PDT

    I've had a EVGA 1080 for around a year and want get something that can run 1080p at 144. My budget is a maximum of $750. Any help would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Sayebe
    [link] [comments]

    Transporting PC to Uni

    Posted: 24 Aug 2021 11:40 AM PDT

    I'm moving to uni next month and I'm probably overthinking this because it's only an hour's drive and I'm transporting it myself. I know I need to remove the GPU, my hard drive and possibly the ram.

    However, I want to keep my CPU air cooler (arctic duo 34 esports) installed because I struggled when installing it and it's too much hassle for me personally. I have the fractal meshify 2 - so the case itself has a lot of empty space.

    I know to keep the case on it's side with the motherboard horizontal and I also have the original packaging for the case with the hard foam, but do I need to put packing material inside the case to prevent the cooler from moving around? If I do, do I use bubble wrap or expanding packaging foam, will that not generate static?

    submitted by /u/shazmei
    [link] [comments]

    I got new RAM, everything lights up, fans are spinning, but no signal to any monitor

    Posted: 24 Aug 2021 01:13 PM PDT

    I just got a kit of Trident Z rgb to upgrade my ram. I popped them into the correct slots, power up my pc, everything is looking just fine, but BOTH monitors say no signal. My ram is lighting up, the words on my gpu are lighting up, all the fans are spinning, I don't know what the problem is. My motherboard's manual says it can handle up to 64 gb of ddr4 ram. I even swapped back to the old ram and it works just fine. Does anyone know what could be up with this?

    My specs are:

    Ryzen 5 2600 (switching to a ryzen 7 3700x soon)

    RTX 2060 super

    Msi B450 tomahawk

    Old ram: G.skill ripjaws V ddr4 2x8gb

    New ram: Trident Z RGB ddr4 2x16gb

    submitted by /u/Physical_Buy9802
    [link] [comments]

    I5-10400F vs Ryzen 5 3500 for simple gaming & youtube editing?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2021 07:13 AM PDT

    Which one is going to be better suited for these tasks? I know that the i5 is generally better, but is it worth it? I found two pre-built pcs and the only real difference is the CPU (and motherboard ofc). However, the i5 is around 112 USD more expensive. They both have a GTX 1660 6GB super Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/RexFilms
    [link] [comments]

    Building a new PC and so...

    Posted: 24 Aug 2021 10:59 AM PDT

    Hi guys, new here 🙋🏽‍♂️

    I've built a new gaming PC and would love your knowledgeable insights!

    Things to take in account: 1. Budget is irrelevant. 2. This PC is meant to hold on highest gaming settings for the next 5y or more (hopefully, of course). 3. I need help deciding on the GPU (I can get Nvidia's FEs for cheap, but not AMD).

    The build:

    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI)

    CPU: AMD 5900X

    CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster MA410M

    GPU: RTX 3090 FE / RTX 3080 FE / RX 6900X / RX 6800X

    Memory: TeamGroup T-Force Xtreem ARGB DDR4-3600 16GB x2

    SSD: Samsung 980 Pro (Prob 250GB, only for the OS)

    PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

    Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 TG (one of the variants)

    Thank you in advance 🙏🏽

    submitted by /u/GonnaOwn
    [link] [comments]

    Sli Nuances

    Posted: 24 Aug 2021 08:10 AM PDT

    When it comes to Nvidia's SLI, do the graphics cards have to be the same exact type (like both MSI ______), or is it merely enough to have two 30 series cards (like one founder's another third party)

    submitted by /u/TinkerFreak3090
    [link] [comments]

    Manli RTX 3080 LHR 10GB GDDR6X

    Posted: 24 Aug 2021 10:55 AM PDT

    Hi guys,

    My local hardware Store is selling these cards for about € 1.500,-- a pop. I know the owner and bla bla bla he is willing to sell it for "only" € 1.200,--

    Now i cant seem to find a review on this card. After nearly 20 years i also never heared of Manli cards... so I'm kinda worried about pulling the trigger.

    So i wanted to ask you guys, have you heared of this brand? Hows their customer support? I know that the price is still WAAAAYYYY to high but given the current market what can one do?

    Any input would be greatly appreciated.

    Cheers!

    P.s. once i have a new gpu id build the system around it. But i see little point in buying a new system without a new GPU.

    submitted by /u/Alive-Hand-6919
    [link] [comments]

    Keyboard doesn't work during POST, preventing me from entering BIOS.

    Posted: 24 Aug 2021 12:54 PM PDT

    Troubleshooting Help:

    What is your parts list? Consider formatting your parts list.

    Ryzen 5 5600x

    RTX 3060ti

    Asus B550 Prime Plus

    16GB Corsair RAM

    Kingston A2000 M.2

    Corsair CX750M

    Describe your problem. List any error messages and symptoms. Be descriptive.

    During POST everything seems to be working fine, all fans are on, hdmi from GPU is working. My keyboard lights up when plugged in, although the computer doesnt seem to recieve the inputs i make. The screen gets stuck on the ASUS-logo, prompting me to press either F2 or DEL to enter BIOS, but nothing happens when I do.

    List anything you've done in attempt to diagnose or fix the problem.

    I've tried different USB-ports, different keyboards, replugging the USB 3 cable, tried spamming all F-keys and the likes on powerup.

    submitted by /u/Gretel_
    [link] [comments]

    After unplugging my monitor my PC won't show anything on the monitor

    Posted: 24 Aug 2021 12:50 PM PDT

    Hello there! So I built my PC 2 years ago. There were no issues with it. I kept upgrading it (new harddrive, RAM, etc.). Everything was right when I decided to play VR (which was running really fine previously) so I unplugged my second monitor and boom every monitor became blank. I was like well okay let's reboot, nothing happened. I disassembled my PC and then built it again but still no signal. I tried different ports, I tried to reset the CMOS by removing then soon after putting the CMOS battery back, tried different monitors but nothing happened. I checked the lights that the motherboard is giving and it stays white at boot, idk if that means it's wrong. But the GPU is spinning, literally everything is working, I know that it boots because if I try to press the power button it doesn't turn off instantly, so right now I'm quite lost, what would you recommend to do? Thanks for the answers.

    Edit: My specs are: MOBO: MSI B350M PRO-VD PLUS CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050 2G DRAM: G-Skill 2x8GB DDR4 2 HDDs and 2 SSDs

    submitted by /u/Rushfcknb
    [link] [comments]

    Asus Third party GPU warranty

    Posted: 24 Aug 2021 08:54 AM PDT

    Hello everyone, I have a question regarding an Asus gpu. So I bought a GPU from a private seller and it looks like I may need to send it in for warranty. I've seen that Asus warranty is non transferable. I bought the card new from the person. Does anyone have experience trying to warranty an Asus card that was purchased from a private party?

    submitted by /u/I_giggled
    [link] [comments]

    Noob question: Why are there no USB C to USB C hubs?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2021 12:39 PM PDT

    Hi guys,

    I'm sure I'm just wrong and being extremely stupid, but I can't seen to find USB-C hubs that have USB-C connectors. Most USB-C adapters only have USB-A connections. Every single one I find that does have a USB-C connector has only one that is 'for charging'. Is it not possible to have a USB-C adapter that has multiple USB-C connectors and not just USB-A?

    submitted by /u/Bella_Beretta
    [link] [comments]

    Gqming monitors

    Posted: 24 Aug 2021 12:13 PM PDT

    Making a 3080ti build and wondering what are some budget high ghz monitors? Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/MikolHones
    [link] [comments]

    WHY DELL WHY. Case Swap for Dell precision 5810

    Posted: 24 Aug 2021 06:10 AM PDT

    I currently have a Dell Precision 5810 I got from a buddy, it was full of dust and when u boot it, it was going to the 80-90s degrees. I removed the Installed GPU that with it and installed a 1070, still the same problem about cooling.

    I am looking to Case Swap it to a more "clean" looking case that fits my setup, but have found no information online. I am fully aware that dell uses a non-standard front panel connectors, but that isn't an issue since I have found some online. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

    submitted by /u/Old-Row840
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment