• Breaking News

    Monday, August 23, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - August 23, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - August 23, 2021


    Simple Questions - August 23, 2021

    Posted: 23 Aug 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Is it stupid to try to build a PC when I have zero knowledge on this sort of thing? Am I in way over my head? Should I just go premade?

    Posted: 22 Aug 2021 09:31 PM PDT

    I have a PC that is quite old now. I am extremely grateful to have it because I got it for free from my dad's work when they were upgrading their computers (he's an IT manager). But I want an actual gaming PC. I'm currently saving up for one and have been doing research. I'm hoping to have 2k to spend by November. (Should I wait for Cyber Monday deals? Or is it not worth the wait?)

    I kind of want to try building because they last longer and typically run better (if I can actually put the thing together), but I fear I'm completely in over my head. I don't even know where to begin researching how to do this. I'm fairly new to the gaming world. (Played Sims 4 for years, but have recently started branching out a bit.)

    Where do I learn how to build my own PC? Or should I just admit that this is too much for me and buy a premade one? For a 24 year old I'd say I'm a little technologically behind. Lol.

    Edit: I didn't expect this to blow up so much and I am overwhelmed by the amount of responses. Please know that I am reading every single one of your comments and that I appreciate all the help I have received so far. I think that I am going to go ahead and try to build my own PC. I am excited to try. Looks like I've got a new hobby. Haha.

    submitted by /u/MaiaOnReddit
    [link] [comments]

    GPU Won't fit in the case

    Posted: 23 Aug 2021 11:16 AM PDT

    I built a PC earlier this year without a GPU but recently decided to buy one. Everything fit perfectly beforehand, but my GPU is lightly too long out the back end, so if I try to add it on my MOBO would be at an angle that prevents the standoffs from lining up. PC part picker shows no errors, and the case should be large enough. Can anyone help or give me a recommendation on how to proceed?

    Specs:

    Case: be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2 ATX Full Tower CaseMOBO: MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi

    GPU: ZOTAC 3070 ti AMP HOLO

    EDIT: It is very finicky, but after removing my CPU cooler I have just barely fit the GPU in. Thanks everyone for the help

    submitted by /u/Pure-Scientist-5442
    [link] [comments]

    I’m 16 and have saved up 1k for a pc setup. What do I do now?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2021 12:11 PM PDT

    Okay, the titles a tad misleading. I saved up about $700 over almost a year of miscellaneous work and my dad is giving me $300 for my birthday. Either way, I have 1k and am going to be putting it all towards a pc set up. The thing is, I know very little about it. So I need a lot of help here. I'd like to build my own as I've heard it's better than buying a prebuilt. I'll be using it to run games of course, but also certain programs like blender and unity, and maybe unreal engine. I want it to be good, but hopefully not too expensive because the 1k covers a pc, monitors and a keyboard and mouse. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/EddyGreyscale
    [link] [comments]

    is amd ryzen 5 2600 gtx 1660 in 1280x1024 60mhz is this fine or just crazy

    Posted: 23 Aug 2021 09:30 AM PDT

    is amd ryzen 5 2600 gtx 1660 in 1280x1024 60mhz is this fine or crazy

    submitted by /u/International-Two805
    [link] [comments]

    Ethernet drivers

    Posted: 23 Aug 2021 01:32 PM PDT

    I recently connected an Ethernet cable to my pc, but it hadn't connected it to the internet. When I troubleshoot it it says that I need to update my drivers, however my Ethernet cable doesn't seem to show up in the device manager and now I have no idea where to go next, any help??

    submitted by /u/WyattB2005
    [link] [comments]

    Help With RAM

    Posted: 23 Aug 2021 10:01 AM PDT

    So I made this post in r/gamingpcs, but its probably better asked here.

    I have an acer nitro 5, it has an 8gb memory stick and it's upper limit is 32 gb. I wanted to add some RAM, so I found these 16gb DDR4 memory sticks on Amazon Memory Sticks

    I dont know if I can run them in my computer, they say they're 3600mhz and i don't really know what that means. Any help is appreciated, please don't be too mean, im 100% a novice who just wants their computer to run better.

    My computer is completely unchanged, acer nitro 5 out of the box, incase you need to know specs on it

    Thank you so much

    EDIT: This is a laptop not a desktop PC sorry

    submitted by /u/Preparation_Eastern
    [link] [comments]

    Will the 5600x pair well with a gtx 1080?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2021 12:27 PM PDT

    I want to upgrade to a Ryzen 5 5600x soon but I also want to know if it'll pair well with my gtx 1080. Can anyone help me out?

    submitted by /u/CerealsAlex
    [link] [comments]

    Do I need to learn like a 100 page book to attach every part to my pc or there's a whole youtube video for that?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2021 06:10 AM PDT

    I just made my own pc build and I'm kinda afraid that I might not able to put all the parts together and screw it up.

    submitted by /u/reyiwnl
    [link] [comments]

    What options are there on monitors for an all-white build?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2021 11:54 AM PDT

    I'm trying to retreat from my mid 2010's "edgy" phase of PC building. Back in 2016, my PC was a black Phanteks Luxe, with a black Sony 3D display, a black glass desk, a black computer chair, a Razer BlackWidow mechanical keyboard, a black G502 mouse, a black Corsair mousepad, two black Bose speakers, a black Kraken headset, a black USB microphone on a boom arm, and a black corner lamp hanging over the display.

    I decided to go completely IKEA on this new build, with a pair of white ALEX desk drawers, an LAGKAPTEN desk top, a white Ducky keyboard, a Deathadder V2 Pro, a white JÄRVFJÄLLET chair, a NYMÅNE lamp, and a SG13 ITX build in a custom white case.

    I forgot about the monitor.

    Almost every single monitor I can find has thick black bezels around it. It completely breaks the uniform look I've developed. I'm willing to attach it to a mount to avoid the black stand, but I need something bezel-less or white/silver. Do you have any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/Jabbam
    [link] [comments]

    EVGA GTX 1060 6GB vs GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1650 4GB (I don’t game)

    Posted: 23 Aug 2021 06:41 AM PDT

    I'd be adding one of these cards to an HP Omen 30L. The 1060 is much older but based on benchmarks is better? I already have the 1650 in another computer I am cannibalizing, but adding the 1060 would cost less than $100.

    I do not game but this will be a fairly powerful computer. Ryzen 5800x, upgraded to 64 GB of ram (hopefully running at 3200 via the AMD utility to override HP's BIOS).

    I'd use the graphics card for periodic video editing and GIS software, which isn't super taxing but I need to be snappy.

    I'd recently picked up a Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 4 but for like 2k less I realize I can probably get better performance in a Desktop (outside of the video card which is laptop version of the 3060).

    Thanks for any advice!

    submitted by /u/boughtathinkpad
    [link] [comments]

    I dropped a RAM stick on the GPU

    Posted: 23 Aug 2021 11:27 AM PDT

    Hi guys, it's my first build, I don't have much experience and when I took out one of the sticks RAM fell on the backplate of the GPU, I don't really know what's inside, I turned it on and ran TimeSpy and everything seems fine. Is it possible that the GPU or RAM has damaged? any advice or test to verify? GPU and RAM pic

    submitted by /u/Agripaes
    [link] [comments]

    About to buy an RTX 3070ti, will I be able to utilise my 144hz monitor?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2021 10:01 AM PDT

    Weird question. I've been using my GTX 1070ti for about 4 years now I think and I've always used a 144hz monitor however, before my 1070ti I had an RX 480 which I couldn't use for 144hz for some reason. It was to do with the output options and HDMI/DP not supporting 144hz or something?

    TL;DR: The card I'm buying is linked below. The inputs on my monitor are DMI, VGA and DVI. The card only has HDMI and DP. What would ge tme 144hz?

    The Card: https://www.ebuyer.com/1262415-gigabyte-geforce-rtx-3070-ti-8gb-aorus-master-ampere-graphics-card-gv-n307taorus-m-8gd?_sgm_campaign=scn_8714e1eb7e000&_sgm_source=1262415&_sgm_action=click

    submitted by /u/Marmeat
    [link] [comments]

    3060/70 combos

    Posted: 23 Aug 2021 04:08 AM PDT

    Hi- I've decided on a 3060 or a 3070 depending on how prices will look like in the near future. What are some good cpu options for cheap. I'm thinking a ryzen 5 but I've been out of the loop so help would be appreciated.

    Thanks!

    have a nice day

    submitted by /u/ranagi411
    [link] [comments]

    Which power plan is best? QuickCPUScheme or Ultimate Performance?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2021 10:20 AM PDT

    i5 11400 vs ryzen 5600g

    Posted: 23 Aug 2021 01:11 AM PDT

    hello, in my country there is almost no price difference between asrock b560m pro4 with 11400 and gigabyte b550m ds3h with 5600g! i will not be able to add a gpu rn. but i have plans to add a d gpu later when the prices are right.

    which system will serve me better? ( this is not gonna be a gaming only build)

    TIA

    submitted by /u/Altruistic_Ad6920
    [link] [comments]

    PC works but monitor and mouse+keyboard don’t

    Posted: 23 Aug 2021 01:56 PM PDT

    So i wanted to clean my PC, i only removed GPU from it's slot and RAM from it's. I only unscrewed one fan to clean it. After putting all together i turned my PC on and monitor and mouse+keyboard don't work but the PC does. I reattached my GPU and RAM stick but still nothing. I cleaned and changed RAM slots and still nothing. I spotted a light on my motherboard that lights up DRAM. Does that mean my ram doesn't work or something else?

    submitted by /u/AdamCrocsler
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrading Ram Question

    Posted: 23 Aug 2021 01:52 PM PDT

    Hi, you guys helped me build a PC nearly 8 years ago. I'm a bit rusty, and don't remember how to determine what RAM is compatible.

    I don't game with it very often anymore, but I do use it for my work from home sales job. I use MS Teams throughout the day and between that and operating from Dynamics 365, my computer seems to be freezing a lot.

    Our IT company recommended I try installing some new/bigger Ram.

    I currently have 2 sticks of 4g with this on the label:

    G.Skill RipjawsX

    DDR3-1866 CL9-10-9-28 1.50v

    PC3=14900 4Gx2 Intel XMP Ready

    TLDR: What Ram should I upgrade to? I'm concerned with performance, not so much cost. If my IT company is wrong and you guys have spec questions or anything I am happy to answer.

    Thank you so much for any help!

    submitted by /u/bootdogva
    [link] [comments]

    Any suggestions in this list ����?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2021 11:33 AM PDT

    So this is going to be my parts list so is there any changes or suggestions I should do including black Friday and cyber Monday deals? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Upstairs_Education73
    [link] [comments]

    My first PC Build. Please let me know if I am on the right track.

    Posted: 23 Aug 2021 01:37 PM PDT

    This is going to be my first build and I mainly intend to use it for software development and programming. Absolutely no Gaming.

    These are my basic concerns

    • Are the components selected by me compatible with each other?
    • Have I selected the right cabinet?
    • I have 2 monitors and I want them both to be connected via HDMI. Is the Graphics card sufficient?
    • Is the Motherboard an overkill?
    • Should I go for 4*8 Gb Ram or 2*16 Gb or 1 * 32GB?
    • Any suggestions to reduce the price with any cheaper alternative?
    • Is there anything else I should be keeping in mind?

    Thank you for your time.

    P.S - I am from India so all the amount is in INR.

    Processor Intel Core i9 10850K Processor 20M Cache, up to 5.20 GHz 10 Cores, 20 Threads LINK
    Motherboard GIGABYTE Z490 AORUS PRO AX with Direct 12 Phases Digital VRM Design, Intel Wi-Fi 6 802.11ax, Intel 2.5GbE LAN, RGB Fusion 2.0 LINK
    HDD - 1 Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-V7S500) LINK
    HDD - 2 Samsung 870 EVO 1TB SATA 2.5 inch (6.3 cm) Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-77E1T0) LINK
    RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB (1 * 32GB) DDR4 3200 MHz CL16-18-18-38 1.35V Desktop Memory RAM - F4-3200C16S-32GVK LINK
    Graphics ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 Graphics Card (PCIe 2.0, 2GB GDDR5 Memory, 4X HDMI Ports, Single-Slot Design, Passive Cooling) LINK
    Power Supply GIGABYTE P750GM 750W 80 Plus Modular Power Supply LINK
    Cabinet Fractal Design FD-CA-MESH-C-WT-TGC Mid Tower Gaming Cabinet Case with 2 Pre-Installed Fans and Angular Mesh Front Panel LINK
    submitted by /u/Sam_Raz
    [link] [comments]

    sound and capture card cooling

    Posted: 23 Aug 2021 09:31 AM PDT

    So I have a sound card and a capture card that run incredibly hot. I was wondering if there are any waterblocks ic can put on them. I have
    Blackmagic Design Decklink 8K Pro Cinema Capture Card and
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster AE-9 32-bit 384 kHz Sound Card

    submitted by /u/Warm-Pool7963
    [link] [comments]

    Please help me upgrade

    Posted: 23 Aug 2021 01:12 PM PDT

    I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre (HPTUKC8)

    Intel Core i5-4750 @3.2GHz

    8gb DDR3 ram

    466gb HDD

    Intel HD Graphics 4600

    I don't use it for any games - only things like microsoft office, adobe photoshop, premier, aftereffects etc.

    It works good enough to make videos, but it's very slow to load and hard to move the media around in my timeline.

    I am looking at getting a 240gb ssd on amazon for $40 and 2 sticks of viper DDR4 ram for $70 or so. Am I wasting my money/can you give me a better decision?

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/writeidiaz
    [link] [comments]

    I just got a new motherboard and it rattles when I shake it. Is this ok?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2021 09:24 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment